Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

10 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

The Zulu royals are not doing well at the moment. From the linked article:

The Zulu royal family in South Africa has announced the death of its monarch Queen Shiyiwe Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu just a month after she became regent.

Queen Mantfombi, 65, became interim leader of the country's largest ethnic group last month after the death of her husband, King Goodwill Zwelithini.

Sad to hear, although I'm just amused by the "Goodwill".  Apparently so, at least towards spreading his seed, since Wikipedia says this widow was actually only one of six wives, and 28 children. She wasn't even the first wife, but the third. She leapfrogged over two others because she was the daughter of another King. 

For all their foibles, at least we only have to roll our eyes at one spouse per British royal.  It might get exhausting with the African royals. 

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

Well, that sounds nice. See, I only know the custom from TV, where it always seems really expensive and stressful!

But yeah, the original point was a comment about child bridesmaids following the bride, as seen in various royal weddings, instead of adult bridesmaids preceding her, and that is very much a typical UK tradition. The American way I am familiar with only from film and TV. It just isn't how we do it here.

American film and TV weddings are generally an exaggerated version, for you know TV. :)

I've been to several rehearsal dinners and they are very very low key. The purpose being not to show off money, but to walk everyone through what's going to happen during the wedding so everyone knows their places and cues, then since we are all together anyway, let's eat and relax.

I've never been to a wedding with more than three bridesmaids and only that many because they were the bride's sisters and she wanted all three. 

Wedding traditions are different everywhere, and many times people just skip a lot of those traditions. I liked the way the British royals walked in, but I also think of that as a royal wedding and not what most people are going to do.

Wills and Kate did have a gala dinner the night before the wedding. 

It was a fabulous red carpet event. 

http://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2011/05/william-and-catherine-royal-wedding-red.html

CPV looked gorgeous in red.

Princess%252BVictoria%252BRoyal%252BWedd

Bea and Eug both looked great as well. It's worth a gander at the fashion. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

American film and TV weddings are generally an exaggerated version, for you know TV. :)

I've been to several rehearsal dinners and they are very very low key. The purpose being not to show off money, but to walk everyone through what's going to happen during the wedding so everyone knows their places and cues, then since we are all together anyway, let's eat and relax.

I've never been to a wedding with more than three bridesmaids and only that many because they were the bride's sisters and she wanted all three. 

Wedding traditions are different everywhere, and many times people just skip a lot of those traditions. I liked the way the British royals walked in, but I also think of that as a royal wedding and not what most people are going to do.

It was a fabulous red carpet event. 

http://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2011/05/william-and-catherine-royal-wedding-red.html

CPV looked gorgeous in red.

Princess%252BVictoria%252BRoyal%252BWedd

Bea and Eug both looked great as well. It's worth a gander at the fashion. 

But don't try to goose them! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Llywela said:

See, I only know the custom from TV, where it always seems really expensive and stressful!

And as big an event as the reception. That never made any sense. Why would you have a huge elaborate dinner the night before another huge elaborate dinner?

It wasn't until I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding that I learned that it's just for the bridal party (and their significant others/parents in the case of children).

TV/movies always makes all the wedding related events--engagement party/shower/bachelor, etc--to be just as big a deal as the wedding itself. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Zara and Mike had theirs on Britannia. I bet that was a cracking good time! Everyone looked so happy as they were coming back down the gang plank and Anne rocked some of her sporty sunglasses 😄 Side note I am obsessed with Britannia and it's on my bucket list of destinations.

3 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

TV/movies always makes all the wedding related events--engagement party/shower/bachelor, etc--to be just as big a deal as the wedding itself. 

2005's The Wedding Date is a great example of this, and it even took place in London!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

And as big an event as the reception. That never made any sense. Why would you have a huge elaborate dinner the night before another huge elaborate dinner?

It wasn't until I was a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding that I learned that it's just for the bridal party (and their significant others/parents in the case of children).

Just in the interest of cultural exchange and as a counterpoint, I have been to 3 rehearsal dinners (2 in the U.S. and one in London for a wedding of a U.S. citizen) that were quite elaborate and that were for all out of town guests, in addition the wedding party, and were at some swanky places that required at least semi formal dress.  So I wouldn’t say that TV shows always exaggerate how big a production weddings can be.

I did love Kate’s dress.  I have never looked good in anything sleeveless, and so I really respected those lace sleeves on her gown!

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Yeah, I know everything on TV is exaggerated. But my point was that I literally only know the custom at all from TV, because we don't do anything of the sort here.

11 hours ago, Llywela said:

Yeah, that's normal here. My first time being a bridesmaid was age 7 - my sister was just 2 when she was flower girl to our uncle. 

I often watch US films and TV shows and boggle over some American wedding customs that we don't do on our side of the Pond, which therefore seem alien to me. Like the whole rehearsal dinner thing that seems to cost almost as much as the wedding itself. We don't do anything like that! The wedding and reception are expensive enough without adding another formal dinner party to the price list. 

Different countries always have their own customs.

The rehearsal dinner is supposed to be paid for by the groom's parents, the bride's parents pay for the wedding & the reception, so it gives the groom's side the chance to pay for part of everything.

• Like 8

Can anyone imagine a Windsor wedding in which brides marrying into the Royal Family would have had themselves or their own families' rather than their new husband's family throw the wedding for them? 

I doubt Major Ronald Ferguson would have been able to cough up more than paper napkins and canned punch much less the Westminster Abbey fete that the Yorks had! 

Of course, one also can't wonder if having his sister-in-law throw the wedding at Westminster Abbey complete with a reception at her home (Buckingham Palace) may have possibly contributed to things not ending well re Anthony Armstrong-Jones's marriage to Princess Margaret. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I remember how all the talk was about people wanting replicas of PIPPA's dress for their own weddings rather than Kate's. Not that Kate's wasn't praised just as much.

Apparently it sparked several websites devoted to "Pippa's Ass!" including a Facebook group, still going strong.

• Laugh 3

On 4/29/2021 at 11:08 PM, RedDelicious said:

She used to. She moved into the Montecito house and looks after Archie. I’m sure she still owns her house but I remember reading in several places that she had a primary role in caring for Archie. 

I would say it was likely Doria was having tea on the Queen’s china, not the other way around

I love that Doria is so involved in the life of her grandchild soon to be grandchildren.  We my siblings and cousins) are super close to our grandmother because she always looked after us when we were kids.  You learn to be very quiet when grandma is on the phone so you hear all the hot goss, watch her stories with her, and she makes you all the nice things you like.  After all grandma says yes mommy says no.

• Like 14

27 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Charlotte looks like Will

She does, poor kid.

• Laugh 10
  • Surprise 1

Maybe she will be a case of anti-Windsoring as she grows up?

• Laugh 1

Seeing video of Tony Blair this week I'm so grateful that none of the men in the Royal Family have gotten lockdown hair. Yikes.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Laugh 6

12 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

Charlotte looks like Will

I've always thought she is the one who looks most like her father and the Windsor side.  If you compare pictures of Charlotte to William at that age, you can really see the resemblance. 

• Like 6

Charlotte looks a lot like Sarah Chatto, Princess Margaret's daughter.  Windsor genes are strong.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bewitched said:

Charlotte looks a lot like Sarah Chatto, Princess Margaret's daughter.  Windsor genes are strong.

Yep.

10-year-old-Elizabeth-little-sister-Margaret-mother.thumb.jpg.d7d9c9a32511e44a661353f67376f6dc.jpg

• Like 1

There don't seem to be many headlines about this (yet) but for the record, British social media today is erupting with fury over the government's decision to spend £200million on a new royal yacht, that no one has asked for, to be named after Prince Philip.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Surprise 5

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

There don't seem to be many headlines about this (yet) but for the record, British social media today is erupting with fury over the government's decision to spend £200million on a new royal yacht, that no one has asked for, to be named after Prince Philip.

Not sure about the name, but the queen has always missed Britannia.   It was a way to get away from all the demands during Royal Tours.    There's been talk for YEARS about how it was a bad idea to scrap her and various plans have been floated (yes I did that on purpose) about getting a new one.   It would be a Royal Yacht but also serve as a training vessel when not in use.

As for the Windsor women and hair, THEY get the great hair.   Really full and lush.   Look at the Queen, still great hair and lots of it in her 90s.   Anne had wonderful long hair when she was younger.   

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/g12026505/princess-anne-photos/?slide=11

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

That is true, the Queen has always missed Britannia, but it’s probably important to highlight that of those who didn’t ask for a replacement, the Queen and the royal family are included. It’s the government, not the BRF.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, proserpina65 said:

Barbecuing means different things to people in different states, too.  Where I live, it's what the royals were doing at Windsor.  In the Carolinas, it specifically involves long slow cooking of meat, with very specific sauces

And it meant a workday “rendezvous” to President & Dr. (Mrs.) Bartlet in The West Wing. Apropos of nothing; I remembered it & just decided to throw it in since we were talking about the BRF barbecuing. Apologies if I offended anyone.

• Laugh 10

I try not to compare women's bodies. We all hold weight in different places, for my it's waist and breasts. For my sister, it's thighs and butt.

But an old article I read had a photo of Kate and Meghan from summer of 2018 and remember the comments about how thin Kate is. While Kate is about 3 months post partum from Louis, she never seemed to hold a lot of post pregnancy wait. Now...all that being said, Meghan's calves and ankles are tiny

prince-william-duke-of-cambridge-catheri

I looked at the recent photos of Kate to check out her legs.

prince-william-and-duchess-catherine-mee

You can see the muscle definition in her thighs.

She might be stick thin, but she never, ever misses leg day at the gym. I think she is healthy with a small frame and a long torso.

Meghan also looks perfectly healthy to me, but I was just struck with the difference in their legs. 

• Like 8

On 4/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, GaT said:

Maybe they're like the Queen, she always has one ready, including when she's traveling & has no reason to believe anyone is dying. The outfit always travels with her. 

She actually hasn’t always had a black suit ready. Ironically, it was when she & Philip were called back early from their African tour when her father died. Before that, apparently nobody in the BRF traveled with a black outfit appropriate to step off a plane, etc., in so they could begin mourning. Elizabeth apparently had to send an assistant to get something appropriate & have it brought to her in the plane so she could change into it & look properly camera ready for the press, whom I assume were near, upon her arrival. After that, it became a “rule” members of the BRF always traveled with appropriate clothes for mourning if a trip had to be cut short by a death in the BRF.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

[snip] Now...all that being said, Meghan's calves and ankles are tiny

prince-william-duke-of-cambridge-catheri

]snip] Meghan also looks perfectly healthy to me, but I was just struck with the difference in their legs. 

I think Meghan has what we describe as bird legs in the south, maybe other places also. It doesn't matter what size you are but usually it is barrel shaped women (you don't have to be big to have a barrel shape and it isn't athletic shape), you have noticeably  tiny calves and ankles. 

I am irritated with Harry having ill fitted pants. They shouldn't be billowing so much above his shoes. And I am not sure if his or William's coat length is off. I know they are different heights, but Harry's still seems to fall lower. 

I saw enough pictures of the Vax Live filming so I don't have to watch at all. Everyone except JLo, Selena, Chrissy T, Dave Grohl, and possibly Harry look dirty, nasty and are wearing horrible clothes. Plus, it is all so preachy with such a lack of awareness. What I wanted to comment on was one article from UK (can't remember who it was) wrote that Harry has a different accent now. I guess we in the US wouldn't notice if it was off but those across the ocean picked up on it. And Meghan is a no show with the speculation/excuse being she is heavily pregnant. I think she just didn't want to go, for whatever reason (and that's fine), but that's me. 

eta Lol, I bet Harry and Madonna have the same accent now. Ha!

Edited by stewedsquash · Reason: an added hilarious (to me) thought
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

It's really "Teck" genes that are strong.

0f8460f93e47d763c6cc9ba20bbbf8a9.thumb.jpg.16898cb4ac9bc70162885446fb791fbe.jpg

Ah, but let's not forget that Queen Mary (born Princess Victoria Mary of Teck) was the maternal-paternal great-granddaughter of George III and Queen Charlotte (via their 7th son Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge). IOW, via her marriage to George V (the paternal-maternal-paternal great-great-grandson of George III and Queen Charlotte- via their 4th son Edward, Duke of Kent) with these 2nd cousins once-removed getting married, their children, grandkids,etc. would have DOUBLE the Hanoverian genes (and Queen Mary herself believed she resembled their mutual ancestress Queen Charlotte so it may be a case of Mecklenburg genes). 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

What I wanted to comment on was one article from UK (can't remember who it was) wrote that Harry has a different accent now.

It's called the Chameleon Effect and very common. 

I have this and it's annoying as it's seen as rude and condescending by most people, even though it is not even something I intend or try to do, it just happens.

• Like 17

Oh, I know accent changes happen. Ha, I live in the south and have daily encounters with the newbie southern accent syndrome; they are so bad, so so bad that it is internally funny.  I was just surprised at how quickly it happened to Harry. It wasn't commented on during his infamous Oprah interview but it is now. 

• Laugh 6

Meghan has the Kevin Durant syndrome. She has a very short waist and long legs.

Kevin Durant is the most extreme of this syndrome -- he's 7 foot tall and dominated by his extremely long legs. Because of his short, wider torso, he looks like he has chicken legs that might snap in half at any moment.

1232134118.jpg

EAqvaR0VAAA9ulH.jpg

• Laugh 6

4 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Oh, I know accent changes happen. Ha, I live in the south and have daily encounters with the newbie southern accent syndrome; they are so bad, so so bad that it is internally funny.  I was just surprised at how quickly it happened to Harry. It wasn't commented on during his infamous Oprah interview but it is now. 

Lord yes. Southern born and raised. My coworker with the biggest hick drawl is an Air Force brat who spent part of her childhood in Germany and whose folks are from North Dakota and New Jersey and who has only lived in Arkansas for a few years. She can't help it. If she's around it, she just starts to absorb it. LOL 

On the flip side, I've never had a noticeable accent according to any of my friends and coworkers, who are around me in isolation from my family, but the one time I spent time with my family and a friend from college, she told me that it was eerie how much my accent morphed around them and that it was like a light switch went on and off with it. 

For that reason, I do wonder if Harry's accent comes back when he is around his family. 

• Like 5

Lord, not another round of "their accent has changed" from British tabs and the many who claim not to read or believe them, but do.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

39 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Lord, not another round of "their accent has changed" from British tabs and the many who claim not to read or believe them, but do.  

2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

What I wanted to comment on was one article from UK (can't remember who it was) wrote that Harry has a different accent now.

I reread my post and realize that I left out some words above. It should say

one article  quoting someone from UK (I can't remember who it was) wrote that Harry has a different accent now.

The article was a US newspaper, not a tabloid or a British tabloid.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Harry got a standing O at the VAX Live event yesterday

• Like 8

Question: Is there any current Royal who still has eyes from the Danish side?

220px-Alexandra_of_Denmark02.jpg.1f3bb31689395942aaf71f4f75cbd2d0.jpg

King_George_V_of_E_3556764b.jpg.17cef4a73c4ab32bd2c966ed634100a4.jpg

220px-HRH_The_Prince_of_Wales_No_4_(HS85-10-36416).jpg.1bdbed7d929a4b761319763c272f7753.jpg

220px-King_George_VI_LOC_matpc.14736_A_(cropped).jpg.cd2c0eb4d4c7c18cf2f8a2ae644ac887.jpg

• Laugh 3

13 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Oh, I know accent changes happen. Ha, I live in the south and have daily encounters with the newbie southern accent syndrome; they are so bad, so so bad that it is internally funny.  

I once had two British exchange students that were to spend a week at my house.. Within Two Hours, I had picked up their accents. They thought I was making fun of them and asked to be moved.  I was horrified and humiliated.  

Though from very Northern New England, my sister has lived in West Virginia for 45 years and you'd assume she was a southerner.  When I'm around her, I'm all Y'all this and Y'all that.  It kind of grosses me out and I try to stop it but there it is.

I never knew the name of this effect until Madonna was accused of putting on airs when she moved to the UK when I got frustrated on her behalf, knowing my own issues with accents. 

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Meghan has the Kevin Durant syndrome. She has a very short waist and long legs.

My daughter is like this at 5'4"  with a 30 in inseam.  She's built very much like Megan.  My ex is the opposite at 6"0 with the same leg length .... The two together make quite a sight.  🙃 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, bijoux said:

I just went a little crosseyed reading that. 

I thought once I mastered The Young And The Restless family tree that I could understand any family tree.  @Blergh quickly dashed that thought. 

I am watching a Victoria and Albert thing on Amazon Prime, half way through now. Why did one of Victoria's daughters destroy Victoria's diaries after Victoria's death? It just said they had been burned by her, didn't give a reason. I am left to wonder if it was a hostile or protective gesture towards Victoria or either one of those options towards someone else. 

It also gives details about the expo that Albert put together but I found myself more fascinated thinking about the people who built it. I do the same thing when I look at the castles. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Callietwo said:

I once had two British exchange students that were to spend a week at my house.. Within Two Hours, I had picked up their accents. They thought I was making fun of them and asked to be moved.  I was horrified and humiliated.  

Though from very Northern New England, my sister has lived in West Virginia for 45 years and you'd assume she was a southerner.  When I'm around her, I'm all Y'all this and Y'all that.  It kind of grosses me out and I try to stop it but there it is.

I never knew the name of this effect until Madonna was accused of putting on airs when she moved to the UK when I got frustrated on her behalf, knowing my own issues with accents. 

My daughter is like this at 5'4"  with a 30 in inseam.  She's built very much like Megan.  My ex is the opposite at 6"0 with the same leg length .... The two together make quite a sight.  🙃 

I pick up my Kentucky relatives' accents very easily. *shudder*

I think it's something inherent in wanting to please the people with whom you are communicating. "They'll understand me better if I talk like they do!" I don't know...it happens.

Bodies are different! I think Kate and Meghan both look perfectly healthy, but very different. Kate has a lot of muscle in her thighs and calves, but a very long torso and she holds no fat around her ribcage and waist. Meghan has Kevin Durant legs with a more compact torso. Kate seems a little taller, but they likely weigh close to the same. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I thought once I mastered The Young And The Restless family tree that I could understand any family tree.  @Blergh quickly dashed that thought. 

I am watching a Victoria and Albert thing on Amazon Prime, half way through now. Why did one of Victoria's daughters destroy Victoria's diaries after Victoria's death? It just said they had been burned by her, didn't give a reason. I am left to wonder if it was a hostile or protective gesture towards Victoria or either one of those options towards someone else. 

It also gives details about the expo that Albert put together but I found myself more fascinated thinking about the people who built it. I do the same thing when I look at the castles. 

I believe Beatrice thought she was doing right by her mother when she burned the diaries.  The diaries showed Victoria as flawed human woman and not as a Queen.  Also do you want people to know that your mom liked having sex with your dad?  

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I pick up my Kentucky relatives' accents very easily. *shudder*

I think it's something inherent in wanting to please the people with whom you are communicating. "They'll understand me better if I talk like they do!" I don't know...it happens.

Bodies are different! I think Kate and Meghan both look perfectly healthy, but very different. Kate has a lot of muscle in her thighs and calves, but a very long torso and she holds no fat around her ribcage and waist. Meghan has Kevin Durant legs with a more compact torso. Kate seems a little taller, but they likely weigh close to the same. 

Speaking of picking up accents and mannerisms, I teach a bunch of high school kids and pick up their lingo so much that when I say the same thing to people not in my class, they look at me funny. I caught myself saying "Chiiiilll, maaaaan, chiiiilll." 

Apparently Meghan is around 5'6".

Here's a SBS picture. I agree, I just see different body types.

Prince-harry-height-Prince-William-Kate-

Also if Meghan has Kevin Durant legs I think Kate gets her "slim" look from her Michael Phelps torso. Kate has a long torso that's wide around the shoulders and shaped like an inverted triangle.

c7c2905a9794ab10f396c257421fed05.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Sorry about that!

Well, Princess Beatrice had been left those Journals by Vic herself as her 'literary executrix'- meaning it seems she wanted to have them put together for some scholarly purposes. There is debate as to whether Vic wanted to have them published warts and all or whether Princess Beatrice decided she wanted to have the world view Vic as idyllically as possible but I believe she thought she was doing her mother's rep a favor.  Of course, we know from tiny sections that WERE quoted within Vic's lifetime (along with much of her surviving correspondence) that she rarely if ever pulled punches so while Beatrice's rendition somewhat softened Vic's POV, it didn't entirely erase it. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Also do you want people to know that your mom liked having sex with your dad?  

As a bashful sex person (talking about it), I don't even want my kids to know I had sex with their Daddy. 

• Laugh 6

Kate doesn't quite have the Phelps shoulders, but if she worked it, she might be able to develop that level of muscle in her shoulders and arms. I absolutely agree about the torso. She also wears a lot of close fitting tops that emphasize that.

I did a bit of googling to find a photo of Maxima with Letizia.

Maxima always seems so larger than life with big, wide-legged pants and enormous hats, while Letizia seems so small and delicate. 

Queen-Letizia-1920128.webp?r=15609766251

4124793d84d994845afcbc5baf60aea4.jpg

But no...they really aren't that much different in size. It's amazing how we (and maybe I just mean me) perceive people. 

• Like 8

Another example is Fergie and Diana. The press made some very cruel remarks about Fergie's size relative to Diana's but if you actually look at the two they weren't that different in size. Fergie was just shorter and more pear-shaped.

fe8cdf6fcc329e4103992b6bc9033a93.jpg

PMjZo32npnzRJE9EwRlCQwXPm4VVgW6Bx9xGmUGP

• Like 11

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.