Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

1 hour ago, orza said:

As for Kate, she looks to me like a healthy woman with an slender, athletic body. I think that today, with close to 70% of the population being overweight or obese, many people don't have an accurate idea of what a healthy, normal-sized body looks like.

I’ve seen some article in the past that quoted some doctor speculating that her estimated BMI probably indicates that she is underweight.  I don’t know how “they” know what she weighs, but if you google her, it says that she is 5 ft 9 in. and 119 pounds (although even that seems a little high to me when you look at how tiny her waist is).

But if true, that would put her in the underweight category by BMI.  I‘m sure she feels a certain amount of pressure to maintain an ultra-slim figure, though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Being "Windsored" is like being "Hapsburged" -- it's a specific phenomenon that happens when generations of people only marry their cousins or distant cousins or people within a tiny social circle. The same traits overwhelm the face -- the horse face, bulbous nose, narrow eyes, weak chin, receding upper lip.

Interesting that the Hapsburgs became known for their huge jaws and the Windsors went the other way with jawlines.

Hapsburg jaw:

1*oRptM6Cn9xweeZQg1Nl2GA.jpeg

Windsor jaw:

1327595_1.jpg?r=1598440830185

I love CP Victoria of Sweden but she got the Hapsburg jaw BIG TIME.    

https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashion/royal-style/20210301107918/crown-princess-victoria-h-and-m-gown-palace-photos/

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Marie Antoinette's paintings artfully hid the jaw, but sculptures show she did indeed have the infamous Hapsburg jaw:

Marie-Antoinette_Boizot_Louvre_RF4515.jp

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I feel like it is problematic to call someone underweight (or overweight) solely because of BMI. Depending on build, you can have an overweight BMI and not be unhealthy, just super muscular. I'm more familiar with that end of it since in my family we with the block heads also tend to have linebacker builds that are pegged as overweight by a BMI. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone with a very thin build who is otherwise healthy automatically gets classified as underweight for the same reason. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

Kate didn't have a thin build in college. She had a strong, athletic build which makes sense since she was very sporty.

hbz-kate-middleton-2006-gettyimages-1581

hbz-kate-middleton-2008-gettyimages-1571

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kate didn't have a thin build in college. She had a strong, athletic build which makes sense since she was very sporty.

hbz-kate-middleton-2006-gettyimages-1581

hbz-kate-middleton-2008-gettyimages-1571

Compared to my family, pictures of her in college still look pretty lean to me. 🤷‍♀️

I may just have a weird reference point, though. Even when I was "skinny" in college, I had bulkier shoulders than a lot of men and bigger calf muscles than most men's biceps at 5'4". 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I feel like it is problematic to call someone underweight (or overweight) solely because of BMI. Depending on build, you can have an overweight BMI and not be unhealthy, just super muscular. I'm more familiar with that end of it since in my family we with the block heads also tend to have linebacker builds that are pegged as overweight by a BMI. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone with a very thin build who is otherwise healthy automatically gets classified as underweight for the same reason. 

BMI is junk science and needs to be yeeted into the sun.  I have been doing some reading on this and listening to a great podcast discussing American diet culture.  Not only is it junk, back in 1998 the scale changed and made thousands of people "overweight" overnight.  Here's something discussing it

https://elemental.medium.com/the-bizarre-and-racist-history-of-the-bmi-7d8dc2aa33bb

Getting back to Kate, she may technically be underweight going by the BMI scale, but I do think she is healthy.  She may have done a bit of botox, but the BRF is not big on keeping up appearances.  The women are allowed to age without surgical intervention and they are not expected to be a perfect size 2.  

• Like 12

Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

BMI is junk science and needs to be yeeted into the sun.  I have been doing some reading on this and listening to a great podcast discussing American diet culture.  Not only is it junk, back in 1998 the scale changed and made thousands of people "overweight" overnight. 

That's interesting! Thanks!

My objections to it are largely anecdotal. When I was in good shape, I was still overweight. Now of course I am overweight by any reasonable metric, but it definitely doesn't account for people with stockier builds so can definitely see how that applies to people on the other end too. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zella said:

That's interesting! Thanks!

My objections to it are largely anecdotal. When I was in good shape, I was still overweight. Now of course I am overweight by any reasonable metric, but it definitely doesn't account for people with stockier builds so can definitely see how that applies to people on the other end too. 

I am also an outlier WRT BMI.  I actually am big-boned and I have muscle.  I can eat right and workout, but I cannot make my bones smaller.  I know we have discussed this over on some other threads.  Not all women are born dainty.  Sarah Ferguson is the same way.  I know she has gained weight over the years, but she was always a big girl.  Or big compared to the Windsor women and Diana.  Diana had height, but she was of a slimmer build so she did not look like a linebacker standing next to the Queen and Anne.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Others may have seen this, but it was new to me, and kind of interesting.

I had never seen this and just watched it during my lunch break.  I *thoroughly* enjoyed it!  I've visited Windsor Castle twice and it was fun to see familiar sights as well as so much more I had never seen.  Thank you for sharing, Umbelina!

• Like 3

So how much time does the queen actually spend in Buckingham? It seems as if she spends most of her time either at Windsor or Sandringham.

Is Buckingham Palace more like an office where she receives Prime Ministers?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So how much time does the queen actually spend in Buckingham? It seems as if she spends most of her time either at Windsor or Sandringham.

Buckingham Palace is in the middle of a major overhaul or was before March 2020.  I don't know if the renovations were halted due to the pandemic or if they are still ongoing.  There is also has been no real need for Elizabeth to be in London.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The Queen, and virtually every other royal, is known to dislike Buckingham Palace.  Despite being a royal residence, it has a lot of problems with plumbing, electrical and overall comfort compared to other residences.  Also, the Queen loves the countryside, she would've lived in the country with her horses and dogs if she hadn't become Queen.  She has generally only stayed at Buckingham Palace when she had duties in London.  Even then, she often escaped to Windsor or her other country estates on the weekends.  Windsor is only about half an hour out of London anyway.

When the pandemic started, the decision was made for the Queen to quarantine at Windsor, at least in part because it was her preferred residence near London.  She hasn't been to Buckingham Palace at all in over a year, let alone spent the night.

With Philip's death, along with her 95th birthday, word is that the Queen does not intend to ever spend another night at Buckingham Palace.  She will mainly reside at Windsor with her usual holiday retreats to Sandringham and Balmoral.

• Like 11
  • Useful 3

6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Sarah Ferguson is the same way.  I know she has gained weight over the years, but she was always a big girl.  Or big compared to the Windsor women and Diana.  Diana had height, but she was of a slimmer build so she did not look like a linebacker standing next to the Queen and Anne.

What’s sad is the weight pressure put on the British Royal women in general.  Like when Diana got extremely skinny in the 80s, as compared to her slender but healthier pre-Royal body, it was because she was suffering through extensive bouts of bulimia.  But one documentary that I saw had news anchors of the time commenting that she was just losing weight for her wedding “like all brides want to do.”  (Like her weight loss was a good thing.)  And then Fergie was fat shamed as compared to Diana, which was ridiculous because Fergie was a different build and not being tortured with an eating disorder to maintain an unnatural weight.

Kate apparently maintains a very strict ultra-low carb, no dairy diet to maintain her current weight.  If that is perfect for her, great, but my mind just goes to thinking that there must be a lot of deprivation involved to stay below what seemed to be the natural weight of her 20s (which is generally a lower weight decade for us all).

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

What’s sad is the weight pressure put on the British Royal women in general.  Like when Diana got extremely skinny in the 80s, as compared to her slender but healthier pre-Royal body, it was because she was suffering through extensive bouts of bulimia.  But one documentary that I saw had news anchors of the time commenting that she was just losing weight for her wedding “like all brides want to do.”  (Like her weight loss was a good thing.)  And then Fergie was fat shamed as compared to Diana, which was ridiculous because Fergie was a different build and not being tortured with an eating disorder to maintain an unnatural weight.

Kate apparently maintains a very strict ultra-low carb, no dairy diet to maintain her current weight.  If that is perfect for her, great, but my mind just goes to thinking that there must be a lot of deprivation involved to stay below what seemed to be the natural weight of her 20s (which is generally a lower weight decade for us all).

It's easy to say that Kate eats that way in order to stay thin, but after reading about Charles and his diet, I'm not so sure.  Charles has maintained a strict diet and even brings his own meals with him on official engagements.  Charles is more organic whole grains and possibly macrobiotic than ultra-low carb.  Charles is very health conscience and I'm sure that rubbed off on William.

I imagine Camilla using her time away from Charles to pig out on all the foods he will not touch, and having a secret stash filled with biscuits, crisps and candy bars.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 7

I remember reading a long time ago when William and Kate were stationed on Anglesey that they frequently ordered pizza from La Gondola and they particularly liked the American Hot. I saved a copy of the menu at the time 🍕 That's a lot of toppings and a hearty meal if true!

American Hot Pizza.jpg

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I haven't read about Kate's diet but I do remember her commenting in the early days of Heads Together (or Heads Up?, I can never remember the name of the program for mental health that she, William, and Harry started) that exercise was a form of therapy for her. She talked about how she found peace and relieved her stress levels via working up a sweat. I can imagine she's dealt with a lot of stress behind the scenes over the last year or so, esp. with the Harry and Meghan stuff and rumors of William cheating. I can see her upping her workout without remembering to up her calories. She and I are built very similarly, too (although I've got about 25 pounds on her, lol), and I've found I can look heavier or skinnier than I really am since I'm so long waisted. A long waist seems to carry weight differently somehow. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I strongly disagree that Harry is handsome. If he weren’t a Prince, I don’t think anyone would rank him over a 3.  Beady eyes. Tiny, weird teeth. Going bald. Developing Windsor face. 

OMG, yes, thank you. I thought I was the only one thinking it.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I haven't read about Kate's diet but I do remember her commenting in the early days of Heads Together (or Heads Up?, I can never remember the name of the program for mental health that she, William, and Harry started) that exercise was a form of therapy for her. She talked about how she found peace and relieved her stress levels via working up a sweat. I can imagine she's dealt with a lot of stress behind the scenes over the last year or so, esp. with the Harry and Meghan stuff and rumors of William cheating. I can see her upping her workout without remembering to up her calories. She and I are built very similarly, too (although I've got about 25 pounds on her, lol), and I've found I can look heavier or skinnier than I really am since I'm so long waisted. A long waist seems to carry weight differently somehow. 

I can totally buy Kate being a stress exerciser.  She also has the body type where the margin between being underweight and being at a healthy weight is razor thin.  So if she has a particularly stressful week and does an extra workout or two, she will look underweight.  

• Like 9

I suppose those who don’t enjoy snarking about Resting Windsor Face probably won’t enjoy the comments. For the rest of us, its been a jolly good time.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 4

Yes, baldness is not a deal breaker for me. Lots of really handsome guys are bald. But just own the damn baldness. 

I can't not think of this commercial. The 80's seemed wild.

Also, RE: Eurovision, last year was the first time in years that I haven't listened to all the songs. I intended to but without my yearly in-person viewing party I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. I should look over the 2020 and 2021 songs because even if I'm not rooting for anyone (I never pick a winner) I always find some bops.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, emma675 said:

People who are long-waisted have a long distance between the two curvy areas -- your breasts and hips. Therefore their torso looks narrow but really it's just because short-waisted women tend to fill out at the breasts or hips and long-waisted women have what might be called negative space between two focal points.

Here's an example:

20909_hq0019hc_123_585lo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't see H&M having grounds to sue for that picture.  She and Archie are out and about. 

They may in California. We have paparazzi laws to protect children of celebrities from harassment. Many publications won’t publish pictures of celebrity kids as a precaution. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 5

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

People who are long-waisted have a long distance between the two curvy areas -- your breasts and hips. Therefore their torso looks narrow but really it's just because short-waisted women tend to fill out at the breasts or hips and long-waisted women have what might be called negative space between two focal points.

Here's an example:

20909_hq0019hc_123_585lo.jpg

Keira Knightly is like this too. In her case she looks really weird when she gets out of the fountain in Atonement. 

I think with Kate her appearance of thinness is accentuated by a combination of long torso, small waist and very narrow hips, especially when standing next to she who shall not named who has a very short torso, no waist and square hips. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

It will be hard to find actors though. Most actors don't have narrow, beady eyes, thin upper lips. a bulbous nose, a crooked downwards mouth, and horsey teeth.

As someone who used to love Face/Off I can't help thinking this would be a field day for a makeup artist who loves prosthetics. Just start engraving that Oscar now. I'm thinking of the teeth they gave Rami Malek for Freddie Mercury and the Charlize Theron prosthetics in Bombshell. Hollywood loves this stuff.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't see H&M having grounds to sue for that picture.  She and Archie are out and about. 

Especially depending on who in their camp tipped off the paps 😁 Might be the same folks who have the close relationship with People Magazine.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I can't not think of this commercial. The 80's seemed wild.

Also, RE: Eurovision, last year was the first time in years that I haven't listened to all the songs. I intended to but without my yearly in-person viewing party I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm. I should look over the 2020 and 2021 songs because even if I'm not rooting for anyone (I never pick a winner) I always find some bops.

That's Stanley Tucci!!

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

After having my wish of seeing yellow under that spectacular coat, I can without a doubt say that the perfect shade of red, head to toe with the handbag thrown in to complete the monochrome look is the winner. 

I am going to ponder though, because that's how I roll, if the combination of yellow and green is what made me decide. That coat just screams for a one color accent, imo.

eta I did the cover the top cover the bottom of that photo and it is definitely a case of the coat is fantabulously spectacular while also needing to be over a monochrome outfit, head to toe. 

Sorry, I have found myself unexpectedly alone (for the whole weekend!!) with no one hindering me and I am indulging in ridiculous mindless web musings...

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

Keira Knightly is like this too. In her case she looks really weird when she gets out of the fountain in Atonement. 

I think with Kate her appearance of thinness is accentuated by a combination of long torso, small waist and very narrow hips, especially when standing next to she who shall not named who has a very short torso, no waist and square hips. 

Kiera Knightley and Kate actually have very similar builds. If you told me they were related I'd believe you. A lot of fashion designers favor tall, lean women with long waists and that's why many supermodels have that build.

610Uh0jlPoL._AC_SL1033_.jpg

hbz-kate-middleton-pants-2011-gettyimage

• Like 2

Kate in the dress that caught William's eye back in college, the rest are more recent of Kate.

There are so many more photos out there as well.  Meghan is a couple of inches shorter and "Hollywood thin" but looks nearly chunky compared to Kate.  

I think she worked on her body and was slim and healthy but now, it does look to me as if she's much too thin.  Heck, photos of Diana were much less gaunt and people were concerned.  

I get the obsession to stay thin, with cameras on you all the time.  When I see her in photos now though, it feels sad, or desperate.  I don't get "healthy and fit."   Maybe the cheating William story, or maybe it's just competition with her younger sister, who is also super thin?kate-middleton-secret-battle-eating-diso

Kate%20Middleton%20at%20a%20dinner%20at%

Edited by Umbelina · Reason: less not more
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Kiera Knightley and Kate actually have very similar builds. If you told me they were related I'd believe you. A lot of fashion designers favor tall, lean women with long waists and that's why many supermodels have that build.

610Uh0jlPoL._AC_SL1033_.jpg

hbz-kate-middleton-pants-2011-gettyimage

I have those white Sebago Balas 😊

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

That’s old news but it makes the most recent pap shot seem planned. No outrage, no threats to sue...

And just in time to compete for attention with Louis's birthday photo.

• Like 7
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I have those white Sebago Balas 😊

Same here.  Love them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hiyo said:

So he would’ve needed like half a dozen King Ralph type of events to get there...

I love that movie. The electrocution deaths of the entire royal family is so dumb that its funny. They all sit and stand for a picture together after a rainstorm with cords still soaked. I hope BRF or anyone wouldn't be that dumb. 

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Being "Windsored" is like being "Hapsburged" -- it's a specific phenomenon that happens when generations of people only marry their cousins or distant cousins or people within a tiny social circle. The same traits overwhelm the face -- the horse face, bulbous nose, narrow eyes, weak chin, receding upper lip.

Interesting that the Hapsburgs became known for their huge jaws and the Windsors went the other way with jawlines.

Hapsburg jaw:

1*oRptM6Cn9xweeZQg1Nl2GA.jpeg

Windsor jaw:

1327595_1.jpg?r=1598440830185

Yeah, the one Hapsburg-Philip is known as Philip I aka Philip the Handsome. Its not so much that he's handsome but compared to the rest of his family is Adonis. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That’s old news but it makes the most recent pap shot seem planned. No outrage, no threats to sue...

The two shots are not equivalent. They said the photo of Archie was taken by photographers who did, "a full reconnaissance inspection of the duke and duchess's private home, walking around it looking to identify entry and exit points and putting his camera over the fence to take photographs.".

The other Splash lawsuit was when they used a helicopter to take photos of the inside of their Cotswolds home. 

Those are more clear invasions of privacy then the most recent one. Depending of the circumstances they may have a case but it would be much harder to prove based on California law. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Dani said:

The two shots are not equivalent. They said the photo of Archie was taken by photographers who did, "a full reconnaissance inspection of the duke and duchess's private home, walking around it looking to identify entry and exit points and putting his camera over the fence to take photographs.".

The other Splash lawsuit was when they used a helicopter to take photos of the inside of their Cotswolds home. 

Those are more clear invasions of privacy then the most recent one. Depending of the circumstances they may have a case but it would be much harder to prove based on California law. 

I believe one lawsuit was filed over pictures taken in Canada. Canadian rules are different than the US too. 

• Like 4

It's the image, not the prior behavior, that was the violation.

And,

[Quote]The images show the Duchess walking in Horth Hill Regional Park on Vancouver Island with her two dogs and Archie in a baby sling. Archie reportedly cannot be clearly seen, as he is wearing winter clothing and isn’t facing the lens.[/quote]

The images are equivalent. And even if they were not, H&M are litigious over Archie's privacy. If it weren't planned, they'd issue a scathing letter to Backgrid, and at least threaten to sue. 

Here is a photo of Diana wearing the same pearls that Kate wore to the funeral.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COC2jS4tOC1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone said it looked like a vagina. Now I can't unsee it! Ugh!

Twitter war between Henry VIII and Richard III!

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: Will fix quote later...phones...sigh
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

This is adorable!

Also, depending on COVID rules, we might get some jewels!

Editing for the politics rule. There will be a summit with political leaders and a reception. Removing the tweet which includes specific politician.
Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 5

33 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Someone said it looked like a vagina

vulva

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

It's the image, not the prior behavior, that was the violation.

And,

[Quote]The images show the Duchess walking in Horth Hill Regional Park on Vancouver Island with her two dogs and Archie in a baby sling. Archie reportedly cannot be clearly seen, as he is wearing winter clothing and isn’t facing the lens.[/quote]

The images are equivalent. And even if they were not, H&M are litigious over Archie's privacy. If it weren't planned, they'd issue a scathing letter to Backgrid, and at least threaten to sue. 

Here is a photo of Diana wearing the same pearls that Kate wore to the funeral.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COC2jS4tOC1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Someone said it looked like a vagina. Now I can't unsee it! Ugh!

Twitter war between Henry VIII and Richard III!

While all these ladies look quite relaxed and happy sans Hal, on a shallow note, I think the teenaged Katherine of Aragon [ La Infanta Catalina de Aragon] is the prettiest of these six though the possible portrait of Catherine Howard is also quite striking. BTW, there is no known surviving confirmed portrait of the latter (and more tragic) teenager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I stand corrected :) I just never want to see it again.

Could have been worse... could have been penis mushroom-shaped. LOL

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Stole this from twitter. Henry VIII's wives if they never met him:

Ezpzja_XsAIt_-k?format=png&name=small

And had brought over an American dentist to get their teeth straightened and bleached.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 10

Since the recently deceased Duke of Edinburgh was born Prince Phillip of Greece in June, 1921, I thought it might be worth delving into the founders of that dynasty George I and Queen Olga.

To begin with, Greece had only thrown off the Ottoman occupiers in 1832 to become an independent nation for the first time in its history (as opposed to being occupied by outside empires and/or divvied up by scores of independent but battling city-states that just happened to use the same language). It had already attempted a monarchy with Otto of Bavaria but he wound up being overthrown by 1862. However,   in Europe only Switzerland and San Marino were ruled by republics instead of monarchies at that time, Greece and the Great Powers (Great Britain, France, the Austrian Empire, Russia and Prussia) all believed that Greece,too needed a monarchy. 

They thought about offering it to Vic's 2nd son, Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh but not only did Vic nix that one but also the other Great Powers thought he'd have been too closely tied and bound to Great Britain for him to viable. 

Then they considered the 17-year-old son of the Heir to the Danish throne, Prince William of Denmark who also had the added plus of being the brother of Alexandra who was due to marry the Prince of Wales (and thus they hoped would be a supporter for her future mother-in-law and husband to help Greek interests). Just weeks after his  sister became the new Princess of Wales  (and Great Britain gave Greece the Ionian Islands  including Corfu  which had been a British protectorate beforehand) , Prince William of Denmark was established as King George of the Hellenes in March, 1863 (seven months before his father became King Christian IX of Denmark) ! He quickly learned Greek and was happy to stroll about the streets without escorts and be informal when he could be. Athens at this time was a rather empty city with a small district called the Plaka clustered around the Constitution Square dominated by the newly built, shining but austere and inhospitable Royal Palace but otherwise it was mostly overgrown and abandoned ruins of the Classical city. Due to its fame for having been the home of the Parthenon and Birthplace of Democracy, it had been chosen as the capital city of the nascent nation. 

Once George proved he was serious about governing this still-new and volatile nation, it was soon decided it time for him to pick a wife but the Greek National Assembly and Great Powers insisted that this could not be a non-Royal bride and George was eager to (somewhat) settle down. After visiting his sister Dagmar  in Russia who had just married the Tsarevich (and had her name changed to Marie), he decided that his subjects would be somewhat placated if their queen shared their Orthodox faith even if he privately remained a Lutheran. He was also helped by his future mother-in-law, the Grand Duchess Alexandra who liked the idea of her daughter becoming a queen. So in 1867, when he was 21 and she was 16, he married the Grand Duchess Olga. Although she tried to learn as much Greek as possible, when she arrived in Athens, she wasn't yet conversant in her new nation's language and had arrived with a trusseau of her childhood dolls and icons. At one point, the new bride was so overwhelmed by all the festivities that she bolted from a formal function and was next seen sobbing underneath a staircase clutching a favorite childhood stuffed bear. Still, within the first year, she and George had their firstborn son the Crown Prince Constantine  which elated the populace (especially since Otto and his wife had had no offspring) and would eventually have five sons and three daughters in the next twenty-one years. Although he wasn't strictly faithful to her, they had a warm mostly happy union and family life. .  Queen Olga also won their subjects' hearts by becoming a dynamo in good works and charities- including establishing separate prisons for women and youths (up to that point, in Greece ALL prisoners male and female regardless of age were confined in the same institutions). 

King George saw the establishment of the Modern Olympics in Athens (which had grown considerably in his reign) as well as the Greeks' near defeat in the Greco-Turkish War of 1897 but he rebounded when he survived an assassination attempt the next year and lived to see a good number of his children become parents and he intended to abdicate in favor of the Crown Prince Constantine after the Golden Jubilee of his reign in October, 1913. Tragically, this was not to be as he fell victim at age 67 to a successful assassin on March 18,1913 who shot him in the back while His Majesty had gone about an a casual walk around town.

While Queen Mother Olga did her best to keep her family together, it would soon be shaken by the Great War (WWI) and by 1917, Constantine was forced to abdicate in favor of his son Alexander due to his ties to the German Empire. Alexander was propped up to be the 3rd king but he soon ran afoul of the government and members of his family when he courted and then secretly wed his childhood friend Aspasia Manos. Despite the fact she actually was a full-blood Greek, they disliked that she was a commoner and tried to have the marriage annulled. Things came to a head when she became pregnant but before anything could happen, King Alexander was bitten by a monkey on the palace grounds while the king was trying to separate him from an entanglement with his own dog- and the monkey bite badly infected his leg and torso so he died three weeks later at age 27 of sepsis. After some debate, they reluctantly decided that Aspasia was the legit widow and granted her the title of 'Princess Alexander' and her daughter by Alexander, Alexandra would be called 'Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark' and would eventually marry the King of Yugoslavia. 

As for Queen Olga, for a month after Alexander's death, she returned from exile and was the Regent until Constantine could return to reign again until his death in 1922 after which he was succeeded by his eldest son George II until he was overthrown in 1924 in favor of a republic but then reinstated in 1935 until his death in 1947.  Queen Olga having seen her Russian family massacred and having outlived several of her children would die in 1926 at age 74 with impaired eyesight and mobility challenges in her youngest son's Prince Christopher's residence but no one is sure whether she was in Rome or in France at the time though.

The Greek monarchy would finally end altogether when King Constantine II  the great-grandson of George I (and sister of the Queen Emerita Sofia of Spain)  abdicated in 1974.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 6
  • Useful 5
  • Surprise 1

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.