Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

11 hours ago, Kromm said:

That's circular logic. How did she know how to break traditions before she was briefed on them?  What? 

That's what I'm saying. Meghan had to have originally been briefed on protocols/traditions in the first place in order to decide that she wanted to do something differently. That's why I don't believe that she wasn't given any introduction to royal life tips and tricks.

11 hours ago, Kromm said:

First, this presumes she's a method actress. Also, a good one. 

I was being generous with the actress term, promise! I was simply trying to allude to the fact that researching any role, whether it's for a potential acting job or marrying into The Firm, isn't a nouveau idea.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think royalty has to ask themselves the hard questions like ... does the Duchy of Cornwall really need to be worth a billion dollars? Is the giving or not giving of titles worth family feuds? Should there be some implicit bias training?

The issues with the BRF is that they've never asked themselves these hard questions. They're like a family run business that has never had to question its best practices. 

The complicated thing is that the BRF isn’t ultimately the one in charge. So much of what we see them do is at the behest of the government. The Queen hates her home at Buckingham Palace and didn’t even want to live there. She was forced to because it made it a bigger tourist draw and was better PR.

Almost all of the awards she gives are chosen by the government. The tours are done at the request of the government. Changing the Duchy would require an Act of Parliament. Technically, Charles doesn’t even own the Duchy. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 6
  • Useful 4

If I were Oprah and heard Meghan say she wasn't allowed to get therapy, I'd have asked Harry why he couldn't have arranged for his wife to have private counseling from his *own therapist*.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

If I were Oprah and heard Meghan say she wasn't allowed to get therapy, I'd have asked Harry why he couldn't have arranged for his wife to have private counseling from his *own therapist*.  

I kind of wonder if Harry has some basic life skills. He probably never called his therapist. A personal assistant probably arranged that sort of thing.

I don't believe the issue was seeing a therapist. I believe the issue was that she was banned from seeking in-patient care.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 15

My understanding is that Meghan asked for inpatient treatment because of the intensity of her ideation and being afraid that if she were left alone she would harm herself. She was refused that, because it would be bad publicity. She wasn’t refused a therapist, she just needed more intense treatment. 

ETA - what @PepSinger said. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I would love for the baby to be named Frances so her nickname can be Frannie.

Archie and Frannie sounds so nice. 

I’m hoping for Alice with Diana as a middle name. Archie and Alice sound cute together. 

• Like 3

Even still, a therapist is not supposed to see 2 people of a couple separately.  It's a conflict of interest.

You should either deal with the couple together as couples counselling, or only one member singularly.  Not each separately one on one.

But I understand the point, if Harry could get help why couldn't Meghan?  

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

I think Harry wanted out of his twisted family for a very long time, and Meghan just gave him that final ounce of courage he needed to leave.  I’m glad for them, and their growing family.  That being said, they need to make their own way now.  They need to pay for their own security, their own home, their own lives.  On a personal level I’m sure it’s hurtful to not be supported by family, be it emotionally or financially.  On the other hand, these are multi millionaires we are talking about.  I’m sure they will muddle through.

Also, I call bullshit on Meghan knowing nothing about the Royal Family, not googling Harry, and not reading press or looking at pictures.  I just don’t believe that for a hot minute.

My unsolicited two cents on who made the comments about the baby’s skin color - Andrew.  Charles and William would probably think it, but never actually say it out loud.

• Like 16

Why am I not suprised that Meghan felt suicidal and wanted the best mental healthcare available. 

Look what these same people did to Diana.

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Also, I call bullshit on Meghan knowing nothing about the Royal Family, not googling Harry, and not reading press or looking at pictures.  I just don’t believe that for a hot minute.

I don't believe that's what she said. I think it's what people are oversimplifying, taking qualifiers and context out, then acting like she said it. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I found it unbelievable that Meghan, lying in bed next to her Prince of the Blood, would have to google the British National Anthem instead of asking Harry. 

The money to support them is a complex issue, because Harry belonged to a family business. So it's a job + family. If I quit my job, and moved to a different continent, I could hardly expect my job to keep paying my wages and giving me perks. But as a part of a family, I would want to know my well-being is important to them. 

I do believe that someone speculated about Archie's potential skin color. That happened to me when I married someone of a different race. As it turns out Archie appears very Caucasian, and obviously Meghan appears more white than black. If they were nonentities, no one on the street would think "black family." Regardless, I have no doubt that there were people who said racist things about Meghan, but I do not believe she's innocent in every way. I do think she wants prestige and money and perks and titles and attention. Everything she's done has pointed to that, like announcing her pregnancy at Eugenie's wedding. IMO there is blame on both sides, and no matter what, Harry's grandfather is 99 and ill. Harry should visit him before it's too late. JMO.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

This has not been substantiated. 

And if we believe Meghan's story about how the "crying" story got twisted around, it makes other rumors like this equally suspect.  That some basic half-truth, like Meghan telling an individual at that wedding she was pregnant (or even Harry doing so), could have been easily twisted into them making an announcement. 

• Like 18

13 minutes ago, Arkay said:

As it turns out Archie appears very Caucasian, and obviously Meghan appears more white than black. 

This is not obvious.  It is a subjective reading, not a statement of fact.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 18

Okay, ya'll. I seem to have reached my limit with the whole BRF and the accompanying tabloid three-ring Circus of Tawdriness and the rest of it.

I'm going to un-follow this topic, and leave you with this commentary from one of My People: 

Keep calm and carry on with your discussion. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Laugh 9

19 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

If Meghan wanted prestige and money, then she would've stayed as a senior working royal instead of leaving.

Exactly.  Those who condemn Meghan and act like she is an evil villain with a master plan act like she's getting what she wants.  If she really is a conniving wench who wanted prestige and money why on earth would she manipulate things to get...well what exactly?

• Like 14

Taking a break from the Brits (and good lord do I need a break from the Brits), here are five future female monarchs of the seven European monarchies!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMLBEfPn-Sq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Leonor of Spain - the monarchy most likely to fall before she's crowned, but Felipe and Letizia are hustling to show up public respect after JC's corruption.

Elisabeth of Belgium - notable for the military training she's doing.

Amalia (actually Catharina-Amalia) of the Netherlands - keeps a pretty low profile, but has had to deal with some NASTY press pieces.

Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway - once the Nordies adjusted to Mette-Marit, it's been pretty smooth.

Estelle of Sweden - what can be said here? She's so young. Her grandfather did remove the HRH from all of her cousins, and their parents (Carl Phillip and Madeleine) were happy about it. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 2

Ok so I might be speaking from personal experience but ... I will NEVER recommend in-patient psychiatric care if there are better options available. At the hospital I went to I went days without seeing anyone, they pushed a drug that I was severely allergic to, the psychiatrist on call was this sadistic creep, and it just was not a safe environment.

I do wonder why Harry didn't arrange for some private care.

• Like 4
  • Sad 9

I'm assuming that Harry and Meghan had no control of the timing of the airing of their interview, but I do wonder if they regret that it aired while his grandfather is ill and in the hospital.   Hopefully, he'll recover but he is 99, and if, unfortunately, Harry should have to return to Britain for a funeral, things could be very uncomfortable for him.  I wonder if Meghan would even accompany him.    

EEh, Phillip is 99 years old, he's always close to death.  I don't think he's at anymore risk now than he was a couple weeks ago or the Sussex's would have flown back to the UK to say goodbye.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

If Meghan wanted prestige and money, then she would've stayed as a senior working royal instead of leaving. She wanted the perk of security via a title for her child, and it's sad that she wasn't able to receive that.

31 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Exactly.  Those who condemn Meghan and act like she is an evil villain with a master plan act like she's getting what she wants.  If she really is a conniving wench who wanted prestige and money why on earth would she manipulate things to get...well what exactly?

The prestige and money that comes with being a senior working royal comes with strings attached.  Those strings are spending your life being a human shield in the tabloids to everyone of higher rank and then stepping aside in about twenty years so William's kids can take over whatever you dedicated your life to because they are now old enough to take their place in the Firm and are of higher in rank.

So I think that Harry and Meghan are rejecting the strings.  They want the prestige and the money, a lot, and they just feel like they can get it without the strings attached. They likely aren't wrong about that.  It just wasn't quite as easy as they thought because the family didn't go along with letting them dictate how they wanted to go about it and then covid happened.

The most solid argument that they still want prestige and money is this interview.  This interview can't really be anything other than Harry and Meghan trying to refocus attention on them in the US to reluanch their various business and charitable enterprises.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Okay, ya'll. I seem to have reached my limit with the whole BRF and the accompanying tabloid three-ring Circus of Tawdriness and the rest of it.

I'm going to un-follow this topic, and leave you with this commentary from one of My People: 

Keep calm and carry on with your discussion. 🙂

As a fellow redneck, it makes me so happy he points out the cousin marriage thing. As I've said on here before, European royal families prove that incest isn't just for hillbillies. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

5 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Maybe they do, maybe they don't, nothing wrong with either option.

However, I see this interview differently.

To me, they have put up with lies, vicious slander, and racism both thinly veiled and blatant for over a year.  This is the first time they have spoken out about it, about the toll it's taken, and about the involvement of The Firm in that slander and hate.

Personally, I think they should have gone further.  They should have named the family members involved in the conversation about how dark the baby would be.  Above all?  They should have flat out said "we are thrown to the wolves by the firm to keep the press off William's cheating, and Andrew's crimes."

To speak up one time after putting up with lies and bullshit for so long?  Hardly unthinkable.  They should have done this long ago.

It kind of depends on what they wanted to do this interview for. If they wanted people's sympathy I think they got it -- the American press this morning has article after article about the shitty, racist royals.

If they wanted revenge against the Firm I think they got that too.

If they wanted to build their brand and promote their podcasts and Netflix films -- eh, not sure. I was actually surprised there wasn't more promotion of their projects. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

That being said, they need to make their own way now.  They need to pay for their own security, their own home, their own lives.  

Umm that’s what they’ve been doing for the past year since they were cut off, making their own way, buying their own house etc. According to Harry if it wasn’t for his inheritance from his mom they would’ve been SOL. And even that wasn’t enough to cover their livelihood and security  long term hence the Netflix, Spotify deal etc.

My unsolicited two cents on who made the comments about the baby’s skin color - Andrew.  Charles and William would probably think it, but never actually say it out loud.

Considering Andrew’s “troubles” I don’t think him being revealed as the racist culprit would be no more damaging than the pedophilic scandal, but the fact that Meghan said if they named names it would be very damaging to that person I think it was Charles and/or William. If it came out that either one of them made racist statements about baby Archie their images would take a pretty damaging hit being that both are the future of the monarch. 

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, Enero said:

Umm that’s what they’ve been doing for the past year since they were cut off, making their own way, buying their own house etc. According to Harry if it wasn’t for his inheritance from his mom they would’ve been SOL. And even that wasn’t enough to cover their livelihood and security  long term hence the Netflix, Spotify deal etc.

Considering Andrew’s “troubles” I don’t think him being revealed as the racist culprit would be no more damaging than the pedophilic scandal, but the fact that Meghan said if they named names it would be very damaging to that person I think it was Charles and/or William. If it came out that either one of them made racist statements about baby Archie their images would take a pretty damaging hit being that both are the future of the monarch. 

No they might not say it if it was Andrew because I think Harry is quite close to Beatrice and Eugenie. And Andrew remains the queen's favorite. If they're still close to the queen they might want to spare her yet another "Andrew is a piece of shit" story. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My understanding is that Meghan asked for inpatient treatment because of the intensity of her ideation and being afraid that if she were left alone she would harm herself. She was refused that, because it would be bad publicity. She wasn’t refused a therapist, she just needed more intense treatment. 

ETA - what @PepSinger said. 

That was my understanding of her comment as well. The tabloid press would have had a field day if she had been admitted to a hospital for treatment. Her statement  begs the question of whether other treatment options were offered to her, and Oprah could have followed up rather than leaving it hanging.

• Like 6

I'm betting that though one family member (not Lizzie, or Phil) talked about the son's possible skin color, I bet there were others in the family saying the same thing.    Princess Michael of Kent is well known for her racist comments, that awful racist broach at the luncheon welcoming Meghan to the royal family (and said she'd worn it for years without anyone raising an eyebrow.    https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a20090038/princess-michael-of-kent-racist-past/

Here's another article about the awful woman:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/princess-michael-of-kent-ways-this-royal-is-the-most-embarrassing-in-modern-times.html/

I wouldn't be surprised at Andrew making nasty remarks, or a bunch of the family sitting around building off of each other's nasty comments.   My guess is it isn't only one making the comments, but only one that got caught.   Or one that was stupid enough to say something to Harry. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Weren't the conditions of the Megxit agreement that they would receive their allowance from Charles for a period of one year after stepping down from their senior roles? But somehow it's been spun into Charles cut them off. 

Regardless it's quite a lot of money from the Duchy of Cornwall that they didn't work on the behalf of the British people to earn. They should have refused it from go. 

I'll bring it up all day long if they're going to continue to be opaque about how privileged they truly are.

I thought there was a rumor that Charles forked over the cash for the down payment on the California house. It's cringy if they are complaining about money when they didn't have to buy a $14 million mansion (a lot of Oscar winners don't even buy homes that expensive) and she was wearing a $4000 dress. I really wanted to like her and was excited about an American marrying into the BRF. I didn't care about her race and non of my royal watcher friends cared--it just wasn't mentioned--it didn't matter. We wanted to see Harry happy with his own new family. There's been a lot of fact checking of that interview, for example her not speaking to Samantha in 20 or so years. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9338421/Royal-revelations-test.html

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm assuming that Harry and Meghan had no control of the timing of the airing of their interview, but I do wonder if they regret that it aired while his grandfather is ill and in the hospital. 

At the very least they regret it gave their enemies a cheap and convenient point of attack. Piers Morgan, just as one of many examples of their enemies, brings up how monstrous it is that they did this, they they didn't "stop" the airing, 15 times a day. Some of the old biddies I've seen on other UK shows squawk about it too. It's an easy way to attack them for something they can't change, but that will inflame the uninformed. 

6 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I thought there was a rumor that Charles forked over the cash for the down payment on the California house. It's cringy if they are complaining about money when they didn't have to buy a $14 million mansion

You said it yourself. "Rumor". 

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, Kromm said:

You said it yourself. "Rumor". 

And this is why smear campaigns work so well. This lie was pushed out and perpetuated by the tabloid media. Again, there was never any documented proof of Charles paying for anything for Meghan and Harry once they stepped down as Senior Royals. Hell the Duchy financials are documented proof of no money going to Harry and Meghan after March, 2020.

Then Harry flat out states in the interview that nope, his father full on cut him off. And folks STILL up in there talking about Harry and Meghan's supposed hypocrisy because of Charles' supposed allowance to them after they stepped down. Like,, just wow...

20 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

There's been a lot of fact checking of that interview, for example her not speaking to Samantha in 20 or so years.

Right, another example of folks deliberately hearing what they wanted to, so as to push their "she's a fake and a liar" agenda. Much like her supposedly claiming to have never heard about Harry (never said that).

Meghan said she hadn't seen Samantha in almost 10 years and prior to that, it'd been another 10 years or so. In other words, there were two 10 year gaps in her being around Samantha. She last saw her 10 years ago, and prior to that meeting, it had been another 10 years since she'd seen her. 

And considering even in Samantha's batshit crazy book (which the only good thing to come out of that was a hilarious review I read about it where the guy eviscerated her) she couldn't scrounge up more than two or three experiences between her and Meghan, that should tell people everything they need to know. Meghan Markle, before she met and married Harry and some decided to declare who she is and isn't, always called herself an only child. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 24

Harry did say they are talking. So both could be true. Charles could have cut them off financially at one point in time and then reconsidered and gave them a loan on the mortgage. I'm planning on buying a condo within the next year or so and my parents will help me with the down payment but I'll pay them back. It's different than paying for very expensive security.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I thought there was a rumor that Charles forked over the cash for the down payment on the California house. It's cringy if they are complaining about money when they didn't have to buy a $14 million mansion (a lot of Oscar winners don't even buy homes that expensive) and she was wearing a $4000 dress.

I recall reading that as well. What does a family of three adults and soon to be two children do with an 18,000 square foot house that has 9 bedrooms and 19 bathrooms (13 full, 6 half)? Especially considering that they won't have visitors from either side of the family any time soon, if ever, pandemic notwithstanding. If Harry and Meghan have a room, and Doria has a room and the children each have their own room, what do they do with the other five? Not to mention it all has to be cooled year round. Carbon footprint people.

• Like 13
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

Harry did say they are talking. So both could be true. Charles could have cut them off financially at one point in time and then reconsidered and gave them a loan on the mortgage. I'm planning on buying a condo within the next year or so and my parents will help me with the down payment but I'll pay them back. It's different than paying for very expensive security.

I think everything about this situation should prove that these people aren't the regular you and me. The point here is there is no evidence or proof of Charles' having anything to do with the people's house. When they first bought it and some papers tried to claim he paid for it, others in the media quickly countered and said there was documented proof that Harry and Meghan bought their house.

There is simply nothing other than tabloid rumor suggesting these people have gotten any help from Charles since they stepped down and yet they're still getting judged for what is nothing more than a rumor. And Hurry's own words are being ignored. That's the point. Some would rather go by "well I read it in some tabloid so it must be true" versus dude saying straight up that he's not speaking to his father and that his father cut him off

• Like 14

Totally off topic but what happened to Bogart, Meghan's dog? I saw Guy and Mr. Oz but Meghan used to have a really cute dog named Bogart. 

3 hours ago, Kromm said:

I don't believe that's what she said. I think it's what people are oversimplifying, taking qualifiers and context out, then acting like she said it. 

She did say that to Oprah, that she never googled her husband and friends send her pictures because she never looks at them. I just can’t believe that. I mean, I google the car wash before I take my car in. You mean to tell me she didn’t read up on the family she was marrying into, a family with hundreds of years of traditions and customs??

1 hour ago, Enero said:

According to Harry if it wasn’t for his inheritance from his mom they would’ve been SOL. And even that wasn’t enough to cover their livelihood and security  long term hence the Netflix, Spotify deal etc.

Nah, they would have been ok. They would have just had to hussle to get their deals faster to get that money flowing faster for themselves. These are two of the most recognizable people in the world. They wouldn’t have been living under a pier in Santa Monica. Like I said, it must suck to be cut off, financially and emotionally, especially when your family is worth so many millions (billions??). But I would hardly say they were SOL, and if that’s the definition of SOL, it doesn’t sound all that bad.  

• Like 12

Likewise, there's no evidence or proof to corroborate a single word they said last night. Just because "Hairy" (as Meghan pronounces it) and Meghan say XYZ on television in front of Oprah Winfrey and the world doesn't automatically make it true. 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Like 10

Didn't he also inherit from the queen mum?

A lot of people have said things in interviews. That doesn't make them true. There are two sides. Unless Oprah gave them questions in advance, why would she have to fact check? She would not be liable for slander. She's only asking questions.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

She did say that to Oprah, that she never googled her husband and friends send her pictures because she never looks at them. I just can’t believe that. I mean, I google the car wash before I take my car in. You mean to tell me she didn’t read up on the family she was marrying into, a family with hundreds of years of traditions and customs??

Especially since she had a highly curated on-line presence of her own in the form of The Tig and her Instagram account which had over a million followers before news broke that Meghan and Harry were even dating. I don't believe for a second that she didn't do her research on Harry.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

to keep the press off William's cheating

Williams cheats?!  Spill this tea girl!  I don’t know very much about the royals except what is readily common knowledge. I’m very interested in all these escapades!  It’s fascinating, but also insane. 

1 minute ago, mostlylurking said:

Williams cheats?!  Spill this tea girl!  I don’t know very much about the royals except what is readily common knowledge. I’m very interested in all these escapades!  It’s fascinating, but also insane. 

From what I understand, someone on Twitter started this rumor. It was never substantiated. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm betting that though one family member (not Lizzie, or Phil) talked about the son's possible skin color, I bet there were others in the family saying the same thing.  

Meghan said there were “conversations” about how dark Archie would be and from what Harry said this also came up while they were dating, ie what their kids would look like, from senior members in the family. So I think it was brought up numerous times and by more than one senior member of the family. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I'm not a good source.  

Google it.  Supposedly it happened with a friend of Kate's, and they say that it really bothered Harry, since his mother was also cheated on.  There are photos, and Kate and William no longer associate with their former best friends (the wife being the other woman.)  I believe Kate was quite pregnant at the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Supposedly it happened with a friend of Kate's, and they say that it really bothered Harry, since his mother was also cheated on.  There are photos, and Kate and William no longer associate with their former best friends (the wife being the other woman.)  I believe Kate was quite pregnant at the time.

Yikes. That sucks. Between all the family drama and just aesthetically speaking, Kate is by far the superior partner in that relationship. He’s not going to be able to do better than her (my humble opinion). 

• Like 6

Speaking of Kate, how exactly is she and Will going to be able to continue their Heads Together campaign? Their own sister-in-law couldn't receive help! 

• Like 2

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.