Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

8 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

The descendants of Kaiser Wilhelm II are trying to reclaim property which was confiscated after WWII. They've been trying for decades, but it's back in the news, as the court case is causing a bit of a stir. I'm finding it difficult to have any sympathy for them.

https://www.cnn.com/style/amp/hohenzollern-prince-georg-prussia/index.html

Rich man wants more is rarely a good look, but it's particularly bad at this point in 2020.

And that's laying aside the fact that "let's determine who the rightful owner of this property really is" is a Pandora's Box that no royal should want to open, given that everything they have is built on a foundation of feudalism and colonialism.

• Like 11

40 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Delphine Boël  is now a Princess of Belgium!

The love child of the former king Albert II of Belgium won her court case and is now allowed to have the same titles as her half-siblings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54380084

Wow. I thought she had a good argument given the laws in Belgium but I’m surprised the courts actually went that far. I read in another article that she is now a HRH and her two children were give the title prince and princess.  

• Surprise 3

1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Delphine Boël  is now a Princess of Belgium!

The love child of the former king Albert II of Belgium won her court case and is now allowed to have the same titles as her half-siblings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54380084

I reiterate my call. Install her on the throne right now.

On a serious note, the article says that the Belgian royal family are Saxe-Coburgs. Those SCs really get about. Connected with Britain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Germany. Any others I missed?

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Anduin said:

On a serious note, the article says that the Belgian royal family are Saxe-Coburgs. Those SCs really get about. Connected with Britain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Germany. Any others I missed?

Bulgaria. 

21 minutes ago, Dani said:

Bulgaria. 

Wow. I expected another western European country, not stretching all the way east!

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Wow. I expected another western European country, not stretching all the way east!

Even crazier is that they stretched all the way to South America. Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha married Princess Leopoldina of Brazil and their kids were high up in the Brazilian line of succession. 

I also forgot about Russia since Alexandra Feodorovna’s mother was a Saxe-Coburg. 

Edited by Dani
  • Useful 2

57 minutes ago, Dani said:

Even crazier is that the stretched all the way to South America. Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha married Princess Leopoldina of Brazil and their kids were high up in the Brazilian line of succession. 

I also forgot about Russia since Alexandra Feodorovna’s mother was a Saxe-Coburg. 

It doesn't beat the British royal family allegedly being descended from both Odin and Mohammed, but at least it's verifiable!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

After seeing your post I went googling for more information and found that he was released on Monday, after a 4 day hospitalization, but is still on sick leave through the 4th.

https://wtop.com/europe/2020/09/norways-aging-king-leaves-oslo-hospital/

According to an article on Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-25/aging-norwegian-king-admitted-to-oslo-hospital), he has championed gay rights in Norway: 

In 2016, a speech by Harald in support of gay rights and diversity attracted widespread international attention. “Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other,” he said.

I wonder if any other modern royals have been as openly supportive? Of course, that's just one quote, so for all I know he may have said/done nothing else.

May he recover fully and enjoy good health for the rest of his life. And maybe attend a few Pride events as an ally, once we are able to have events again.

• Like 5

Ok Charlotte loving spiders feels like proof that she's as science inclined as the Fug Ladies have been hoping.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok Charlotte loving spiders feels like proof that she's as science inclined as the Fug Ladies have been hoping.

Make me think of the intro to this song.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

That was a cute exchange between Sir David and the Princes and Princess of Cambridge.

I hope that the Duke and/or the Duchess of Cambridge soon tells Charlotte that 12 of the 650 species  of spiders in the UK have venomous enough bites to cause severe pain. IOW, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge needs to be aware that these twelve species need to be loved- from a distance!  But the article also says that they only bite in self- defense so as long as she's not taunting them and keeps her hands, fingers, toes,etc. at a safe distance from them, she should be okay! 

https://www.animalwised.com/are-there-venomous-spiders-in-the-uk-1356.html

• Useful 3

I consider Mr. Lacey more credible than some claimants with 'inside info' but, still, I'll preface all this was 'IF what Mr. Lacey is saying IS true' (since I honestly don't know whether or not it is- much less how close to firsthand HIS source/s are to said claims).

IF what Mr. Lacey is saying is true, then I can't help but feel sorry for Her Majesty's attempt to have  at least broker a truce if not an armistice between the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex- only for her Heir Presumptive to categorically refuse to attend said lunch. Although, perhaps (IF what Mr. Lacey is saying is true), it might have resulted in an open battle  in front of her between the brothers rather than having had fences be mended. 

IF what Mr. Lacey is saying is true, then I also have to why the Duke of Cambridge would have been surprised that the Duke of Sussex would have rejected the Earl of Spencer's input re the courthship of Ms. Markle. Hello, the Earl of Spencer's has had two rather unpleasant  splits  so he's hardly the best elder to tell others how to court and marry! 

• Like 3

Part 2 of the “Youre Wrong About” podcast regarding Princess Diana (The Wedding) if you guys are interested. 

• Like 6

If Harry & Meghan have a second child while living here (& as far as I know, they’re NOT pregnant at this moment), would it be announced with the same pomp & circumstance as Archie’s birth, & those of his cousins George, Charlotte, & Louis got (the Town Crier announcing it verbally, the written notification on the easel outside Buckingham Palace, etc.)? Especially since any baby born here would, I think, have at least dual US/UK citizenship, because of where (s)he was born if not because his/her mother has yet to take British citizenship & is still legally a US citizen though a (non working) member of the British Royal Family, & his/her father is a member of the British Royal Family, & a UK citizen by birth—although I guess Archie technically has dual US/UK citizenship since Meghan still hadn’t become a British citizen by the time she & Harry quit being Senior Royals, & left the UK, though Harry was born a UK citizen.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To fix spacing.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

If Harry & Meghan have a second child while living here (& as far as I know, they’re NOT pregnant at this moment), would it be announced with the same pomp & circumstance as Archie’s birth, & those of his cousins George, Charlotte, & Louis got (the Town Crier announcing it verbally, the written notification on the easel outside Buckingham Palace, etc.)?

No one knows for certain but probably. Any baby they have is still going to be the grandchild of a King. 

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Especially since any baby born here would, I think, have at least dual US/UK citizenship, because of where (s)he was born if not because his/her mother has yet to take British citizenship & is still legally a US citizen though a (non working) member of the British Royal Family, & his/her father is a member of the British Royal Family, & a UK citizen by birth—although I guess Archie technically has dual US/UK citizenship since Meghan still hadn’t become a British citizen by the time she & Harry quit being Senior Royals, & left the UK, though Harry was born a UK citizen.

Any child of Meghan is a US citizen at birth as long as she has not given up her US citizenship. Where she lives or whether or not she becomes a British citizen makes no difference. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dani said:

No one knows for certain but probably. Any baby they have is still going to be the grandchild of a King. 

Any child of Meghan is a US citizen at birth as long as she has not given up her US citizenship. Where she lives or whether or not she becomes a British citizen makes no difference. 

Presuming she would deliver in the US, the baby is entitled to American citizenship no matter what Meghan's status would be. Considering the media circus surrounding Archie's birth; I would be surprised if they would choose to have another child in the UK should they decide to have another child.  I don't see them returning to Britain for any extended period of time in the next several years, if ever.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Why would they even make this a story? Basically, the headline could read "Couple Has Dinner With Friends". 

The only thing I found notable, and that got some side-eye from me, was the dining in a restaurant aspect, when that has been causing lots of COVID cases. That said, that didn’t seem to be the point of the article. I guess maybe celebrity news is starting to be starved for interesting stories since celebs aren’t out and about as much?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

The only thing I found notable, and that got some side-eye from me, was the dining in a restaurant aspect, when that has been causing lots of COVID cases. That said, that didn’t seem to be the point of the article. I guess maybe celebrity news is starting to be starved for interesting stories since celebs aren’t out and about as much?

That's correct!  There is nothing to write about!  People Magazine is dead!  They seem to be struggling to find stories!

12 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

That said, that didn’t seem to be the point of the article. I guess maybe celebrity news is starting to be starved for interesting stories since celebs aren’t out and about as much?

The British media has always covered the BRF this way.  COVID-19 just drastically reduced royal engagements so the brief periods when they actually covered work isn't available as a red herring to hide this fact.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

That's correct!  There is nothing to write about!  People Magazine is dead!  They seem to be struggling to find stories!

Agree! The Sussexes having dinner with friends is about as newsworthy as when the rags reported Katie Holmes going to a grocery store after her split with Tom Cruise- and detailed with baited breath each and every grocery item she bought there.  As if no one else in the world had ever been grocery shopping or (in the more recent case) had ever had dinner with friends! 

• Like 4

From Good HousekeepingCatherine, Prince William Won’t Technically Have Custody of Their Kids

This is probably more clickbait than consequential, but I thought I’d pass it along anyway. At this point in time, it doesn’t really affect any of the British Royal children. But it has the potential to eventually affect George, Charlotte, Louis & Archie, & any siblings they may possibly have in the future, once Prince Charles takes the throne; as well as any children of George, Charlotte, Louis & any siblings they may have in the future once Prince William succeeds Prince Charles on the throne.

We went through this when the Sussexes bailed on Royal Duties.   There was a whole discussion about how they announced while in Canada with Archie to keep the Queen from grabbing him.   The summary was that it was BS.   If the Queen was going to do something like that, she would have done it to keep Beatrice and Eugenie from Sarah Ferguson.    She didn't do it then, she didn't do it with Archie.    She won't do it in the future.   There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to believe Charles would do anything either when he becomes King.   Nor will William when he is King.   Etc.   

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

We went through this when the Sussexes bailed on Royal Duties.   There was a whole discussion about how they announced while in Canada with Archie to keep the Queen from grabbing him.   The summary was that it was BS.   If the Queen was going to do something like that, she would have done it to keep Beatrice and Eugenie from Sarah Ferguson.    She didn't do it then, she didn't do it with Archie.    She won't do it in the future.   There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to believe Charles would do anything either when he becomes King.   Nor will William when he is King.   Etc.   

It's funny. They're accepted as royals as long as they don't actually do anything. If they tried to test the extent of their power, the tide would quickly turn. And I'm sure of they're aware of that.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, bijoux said:

Malala speaks with the Duke and Duchess on Day of the Girl

https://youtu.be/O-FWTESaeoY

Rather interesting. I'll avoid anything remotely political but it was interesting that Miss Youfsafzai called the Duke of Sussex 'Prince Harry' and the Duchess 'Meghan' while both of them addressed her by her given name of Malala. Also, interesting to see that they all seemed to admire each other's work and interests.  

On 10/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, VCRTracking said:

This video is a few years old but his Charles and Diana story is great. 

Hmm. This rang a bell.

Spoiler

I found it. In Tina Brown's book The Diana Chronicles, she writes (Chapter 15) about the "savagely satirical ITV puppet show Spitting Image," in discussing the relationship of the media to the royal family and Diana's impact on all of that. And she said this:

Spitting Image, I am told, was one of the Princess of Wales's favorite shows. "If we hurry we can get back to Sandringham in time for Spitting Image," she said over Christmas 1988 to a Norfolk friend, with a sly, inclusive smile that seemed to savor the risk of how bad such a disrespectful admission would look in a headline.

I wonder if Fry was her source, and Brown fudged the detail of New Year's to Christmas to keep him anonymous. Or, it's possible Diana also said that to another friend in Norfolk.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 3

As sad as the rift between William and Harry is I think it's a relief that instead of a Edward VIII and George VI situation(irresponsible heir and dutiful spare) William and Harry are more Elizabeth and Margaret, except Harry found happiness that Margaret never did.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 8

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima hurry home after being called out for going on vacation to Greece while the Netherlands is under partial lockdown.

• Surprise 7

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima hurry home after being called out for going on vacation to Greece while the Netherlands is under partial lockdown.

It’s their second controversy over a vacation in Greece during the pandemic. In August they had to apologize when they were photographed breaking social distancing guidelines. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It could have been worse.

In 1963, his grandmother Queen Juliana had calls for her Abdication- for allowing her 2nd daughter Princess Irene to marry Prince Carlo Hugo of Bourbon, Duke of Parma - due to the groom being Catholic and of Spanish heritage. The Dutch government talked the Queen from   flying to Madrid to try to talk her daughter out of it as well but insisted the princess had to renounce her claims to the succession and, ultimately, no member of the House of Orange attended the wedding in Rome. Of course, after all that angst and four children being born, the two wound up divorcing in 1981. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

On 10/17/2020 at 1:05 AM, Silver Raven said:

Willem and Maxima apologize for their Greece vacation

Sigh. Will rich people ever think they have to play by the rules like the rest of us? What made them think this was a good idea? Oh yeah, let's just jet off to Greece while the poors are busy locking down and losing their jobs.

• Like 7

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.