Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

6 minutes ago, Enero said:

I guess it’s possible they could produce content that’d be related to the royal family ala Prince Edward, but I’d be surprised if they went that route. They seem to be really passionate about their causes - women’s rights, children education, disabled veterans etc., I suspect this is were they’ll focus their production endeavors. 

That was the impression I had as well. One of the articles I read specifically mentioned their interest in doing shows/films that are informative but hopeful, and they also mentioned being committed to diversity on and off the screen. I've just assumed it would probably center around the philanthropy interests they've had. Not that the material would be documentaries about the charities they work with or founded but instead focused on those general issues. 

I'd be really surprised if they made content about the royal family, and I suspect the royal family wouldn't be very happy about that either. That just seems to be a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

They have to be careful in their future deals to not be using their Royal connections to get things done.   Going back to Prince Edward's production company -- yes there were allegations that he only got ANYTHING he produced seen because he was an HRH.    Also, HE got to film a documentary on Prince William's first year at St. Andrew's when all other press was banned.   Hmmmm.   Edward's company did die a lingering death BECAUSE of all the questions of misue of Royal connections.   Just because others are sleazier does not make it acceptable.   

But what does any of that have to do with Harry and Meghan? It's interesting again how some seem prone to jump to the worse assumptions when it comes to these two. We have seen Harry and Meghan work in some capacity in these past months and not a single one of it, has had anything to do with the Royal Family. 

Instead it's Meghan continuing her work with women's empowerment and particularly their political participation. It's been about social justice, Harry continuing his focus on mental health and support for wounded veterans. That is all their work has been about. But suddenly their getting a production deal means concern about their not being seen as cashing in on their Royal connections? 

As someone said, this is just like all the reaction when GMA publicized Meghan's so-called first big interview since she and Harry stepped down. And instead it was simply a pre-filmed piece for the Disney+ documentary she narrated and charity and purpose behind the documentary. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Oh and you think the British Tabloids are going to go "ooops they are in America now, no point in covering them?"    They are STILL all over them. 

And who said they would? Multiple people have pointed out that the only people still harassing Harry and Meghan daily are the psychotic British tabloid media. The point being made is a rebuttal to the argument of "well how can they say they don't like tabloids and live in LA (well Santa Barbara to be accurate) and have Hollywood deals". Because once again, the media Harry and Meghan have to deal with in the U.S. is nothing like what they dealt with living in England and being Senior Royals. That's the point. 

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

True, but they are no longer obligated to do business or acknowledge them ever again, unlike when they were working royals.

Exactly. This has been discussed many times. Some act like Harry and Meghan stepped down from being Senior Royals because of a few negative stories in some British tabloids. When in fact it was a systematic, daily, incessant lies, upon lies, borderline mental abuse by publications that due to to a really fucked up Royal Rota system, made them obligated to still have to deal with, in their role as a Senior Royal. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 11

16 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Exactly. This has been discussed many times. Some act like Harry and Meghan stepped down from being Senior Royals because of a few negative stories in some British tabloids. When in fact it was a systematic, daily, incessant lies, upon lies, borderline mental abuse by publications that due to to a really fucked up Royal Rota system, made them obligated to still have to deal with, in their role as a Senior Royal. 

Don’t forget the phone hacking. That lawsuit isn’t getting as much attention because the tabloids can’t focus it on Meghan. Harry has been dealing with that shit his entire life. Saying they just don’t want the attention is seriously downplaying the shady and criminal tactics of the UK tabloids. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 14

Although I doubt this production venture will be the answer to the Sussexes' prayers, I wish them luck and hope this somehow helps them find their peace. Moreover it sure seems a large salary for what appears to be mainly documentaries they'd be participating in (and I'm not sure Ken Burns would have gotten that much). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Although I doubt this production venture will be the answer to the Sussexes' prayers, I wish them luck and hope this somehow helps them find their peace. Moreover it sure seems a large salary for what appears to be mainly documentaries they'd be participating in (and I'm not sure Ken Burns would have gotten that much). 

Everything I've read about the deal doesn't include any information at all about how much the deal is worth.  Do you have reliable information as to the numbers involved?  As for Ken Burns, he has become king of the documentary here in the US and I expect he and his production company are paid handsomely because of it.  However, I doubt he made much for his initial work when he was still unknown.  Harry and Meghan, because they are well known to the public, are undoubtedly being paid more than the going rate for newly minted producers because, as I am sure Netflix has verified, just having their names attached to a project is going to guarantee a built-in audience for any film they make.  Over the long haul, they're going to have to produce quality work to stay in the game. ; but, yes, they are probably much better compensated than the average film producer who doesn't have name recognition and cannot get people like Oprah or Tyler Perry on the phone to help them get launched.

I doubt Brad Pitt could've gotten 12 Years a Slave produced had he not been Brad Pitt.  I imagine  lot of studios would've passed on it as a project with a limited audience and not much profit potential. From what I understand, he read the book, thought it was an important true story that hadn't been told widely, and he threw his weight behind it to get a quality film produced with a stellar cast.  A win all around and, I presume, the sort of stuff Harry and Meghan hope to do (not necessarily that story, but telling stories that might otherwise not be told in such a way as to get them widespread attention).

They are getting paid more than other newbies because their productions are far more likely to be profitable and popular than those made by an unknown.  It might not seem fair, but that's the world for ya.  This is not the only industry where being well-connected is an asset and it would be foolhardy for them not to use those connections.

As so many others above have noted, Harry and Meghan have never been opposed to public appearances or promotional work for causes that they believe it.  What they opposed was the royal family's insistence that they had to give interviews to the same tabloids and reporters that had written pure racist, sexist, ugly lies about them without being allowed to confront those lies.  That is not going to happen anymore because they are no longer under the constraints placed by the royal family's outmoded PR rules.  If the royal press office would simply come out and admit that not all publications are equally fair and ethical and that those who have repeatedly shown themselves to be rumor mongering rags are not longer going to be part of the legitimate press corps following the royal family; Harry and Meghan would still be living at Frogmore cottage.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Everything I've read about the deal doesn't include any information at all about how much the deal is worth.  Do you have reliable information as to the numbers involved?  As for Ken Burns, he has become king of the documentary here in the US and I expect he and his production company are paid handsomely because of it.  However, I doubt he made much for his initial work when he was still unknown.  Harry and Meghan, because they are well known to the public, are undoubtedly being paid more than the going rate for newly minted producers because, as I am sure Netflix has verified, just having their names attached to a project is going to guarantee a built-in audience for any film they make.  Over the long haul, they're going to have to produce quality work to stay in the game. ; but, yes, they are probably much better compensated than the average film producer who doesn't have name recognition and cannot get people like Oprah or Tyler Perry on the phone to help them get launched.

They are getting paid more than other newbies because their productions are far more likely to be profitable and popular than those made by an unknown.  It might not seem fair, but that's the world for ya.  This is not the only industry where being well-connected is an asset and it would be foolhardy for them not to use those connections.

Yeah I never saw any dollar amount specified in any of the articles I read.

I think the reasons you listed as why they probably got a pretty sweet deal are all excellent ones.

I'd also add the fact that they signed with Netflix. Netflix is not at all shy about paying good money for something they think they will make money on. I mean, they paid a record amount (reported to be $130,000,000) for The Crown's first two seasons (several million per episode). Netflix, justifiably, can see how potentially profitable this partnership can be, and I'm sure they were more than happy to throw some money at Harry and Meghan to secure that deal for themselves. I also read at one point Harry and Meghan were in talks with Apple, which may have prompted a bidding war. As long as Harry and Meghan are generating content that makes money for Netflix, I doubt Netflix will have any regrets about the initial investment, whatever it was. 

Based on who they were talking to, I wonder if streaming was a more desirable option to them than signing with a network, and I could certainly see the reasoning behind that. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Zella said:

Yeah I never saw any dollar amount specified in any of the articles I read.

I think the reasons you listed as why they probably got a pretty sweet deal are all excellent ones.

I'd also add the fact that they signed with Netflix. Netflix is not at all shy about paying good money for something they think they will make money on. I mean, they paid a record amount (reported to be $130,000,000) for The Crown's first two seasons (several million per episode). Netflix, justifiably, can see how potentially profitable this partnership can be, and I'm sure they were more than happy to throw some money at Harry and Meghan to secure that deal for themselves. I also read at one point Harry and Meghan were in talks with Apple, which may have prompted a bidding war. As long as Harry and Meghan are generating content that makes money for Netflix, I doubt Netflix will have any regrets about the initial investment, whatever it was. 

Based on who they were talking to, I wonder if streaming was a more desirable option to them than signing with a network, and I could certainly see the reasoning behind that. 

It seems like the streaming services are much more likely to invest in projects that are a little off the beaten path, to take a chance on something new than are the traditional networks and studios.  It gives them a lot more freedom and creativity to do things that might not be mainstream.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I doubt Brad Pitt could've gotten 12 Years a Slave produced had he not been Brad Pitt.  I imagine  lot of studios would've passed on it as a project with a limited audience and not much profit potential. From what I understand, he read the book, thought it was an important true story that hadn't been told widely, and he threw his weight behind it to get a quality film produced with a stellar cast. 

Right you are. I'll also add that he had to go as far as putting himself in the movie, so they could use his name on the posters and billing to further sell it to audiences, even if he's in the film for like maybe 5-10 minutes at best, in the most random scene. But they wanted to make sure the studio truly got behind the film and put all their muscle behind it. Which they did and well we all know what happened at the Oscars . 

I am deeply, deeply amused by the fact that the latest line of judgments from the British media and critics is how unfair this is to all these small, unknown artists and filmmakers. Because people who support a freaking monarchy in 2020 are talking about meritocracy. Supports an institution that is the embodiment of entitlement - white entitlement, talking about meritocracy. You can't make this shit up, 

It's good though. This year has been such a pain in so many ways. I get my kicks and laughs where I can.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I am deeply, deeply amused........

As am I!!!!!  

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Everything I've read about the deal doesn't include any information at all about how much the deal is worth.  Do you have reliable information as to the numbers involved?

Netflix didn't release any figures.  That company is known to keep things close to their vest.  They've never released traditional ratings because they use their own internal metrics.   ALL dollar amounts out there are guesstimates.  Just like all these figures claiming Harry and/or Meghan's net worth are guesstimates.   The figures we see are from that web site that claims net worth of famous people.  The reality is they're nobody's financial advisor, don't have access to tax returns, nor seemingly understand the concept of investing, so their figures aren't right either.  But when you repeat something enough times, it becomes "truth".  

I am deeply, deeply amused by the fact that the latest line of judgments from the British media and critics is how unfair this is to all these small, unknown artists and filmmakers.

I'm amused too since we know they're not including filmmakers likely to do stories or have crews consisting of diverse voices which is Harry and Meghan's stated plan.  

Some act like Harry and Meghan stepped down from being Senior Royals because of a few negative stories in some British tabloids. When in fact it was a systematic, daily, incessant lies, upon lies, borderline mental abuse by publications that due to to a really fucked up Royal Rota system, made them obligated to still have to deal with, in their role as a Senior Royal. 

Who would want to deal with these vultures if they didn't have to?  These gossipmongers not only have a weird sense of ownership but they love to spin their own narrative on people's lives.  You give a direct quote stating how very happy you are but sad it rained last Saturday.  They pluck out what they want, take that, and in turn write article after article on how miserable you are.  Then they constantly reference it whenever you're mentioned.  Slowly your own words are drowned out as their words replaces them.  This, and all the guesstimates taken as fact, is why educators stress the importance of primary sources.

15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

What did Jameela Jamil do to deserve this? What did Megan do to deserve this?

They were women born with brown skin, dared to enter spaces some thought weren't meant for them, and used their words.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 16

One advantage Harry and Meghan have in LA is that it's filled with celebrities so they're not as big a deal there as they were in the UK.  Also the American paparazzi are not quite as...rapacious, say, as the British tabloids are. The American paps will get in celebs' faces and whatnot, but the American tabloids themselves are generally not quite as nasty.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Right you are. I'll also add that he had to go as far as putting himself in the movie, so they could use his name on the posters and billing to further sell it to audiences, even if he's in the film for like maybe 5-10 minutes at best, in the most random scene. But they wanted to make sure the studio truly got behind the film and put all their muscle behind it. Which they did and well we all know what happened at the Oscars . 

I am deeply, deeply amused by the fact that the latest line of judgments from the British media and critics is how unfair this is to all these small, unknown artists and filmmakers. Because people who support a freaking monarchy in 2020 are talking about meritocracy. Supports an institution that is the embodiment of entitlement - white entitlement, talking about meritocracy. You can't make this shit up, 

It's good though. This year has been such a pain in so many ways. I get my kicks and laughs where I can.

To continue the Brad Pitt analogy: he not only got a film made that depicted the pre-Civil War south from the POV of the enslaved people, something that almost never happens; he also used his clout to promote diversity and inclusion in the cast and crew.  It is no accident that Steve McQueen, who directed the film, is the first black director to receive a Best Director Oscar.  Sure, he had directed other excellent films, but, it was being given the chance to direct a big budget, all star cast in a film for a major studio that opened doors for him much more quickly than if he'd had to do it without the support of someone like Pitt.  When Harry and Meghan talk about diversity in their projects; that is the sort of opportunity they're talking about providing to people whose voices haven't been widely heard.   

• Like 19

7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

They were women born with brown skin, dared to enter spaces some thought weren't meant for them, and used their words.  

Meghan also had people in the Royal family being racist right to her face.   That hideous racist broach worn by Princess Michael, who is also well known for her vicious views is another slap in the face.    No one told Princess to take that thing off, which should have happened.    I can't imagine how awful it is to have people saying the things reporters, and others have said about Meghan, the baby, and everything else. My opinion is that the biggest reason the reporters wanted photo ops with little Archie is to speculate on how much he looked like Meghan's relatives.    

• Like 15

4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

That sounds fun.   I didn't realize the Queen still wasn't back at Buckingham Palace.   Considering how devoted she is to duty, the fact that the best thing she can do right now is stay home, she must be going nuts.   They are even saying they have to take special precautions for Remembrance Sunday which is NOVEMBER.   Oh my.    Although Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's are both open for services again.   

• Like 2

Harry is very much his mother's son. He is hotheaded and impulsive, and he is his own worst enemy. The anger surrounding the circumstances of his mother's death is misdirected. She chose not to wear her seat belt even though it was common knowledge that everyone should buckle up, always. The front seat passenger who was belted survived the horrendous impact which occurred at more than three times the posted speed limit. The vehicle was not racing away from an assassin, a kidnapper or a carjacker; it was in the process of eluding someone armed with... a camera. Her photo had been taken 1000 times but evidently photo 1001 was a deal breaker and worth drawing a fatal line in the sand. 

Diana surrendered her autonomy, her common sense and her life to a spoiled ne'er do well who lacked sound judgement but had access to his father's great wealth. Millions of children lose their parents every year; Harry's anger is a child's reaction. One would think a 35-year-old is capable of admitting that his mother's irresponsibility had tragic consequences and was the greatest factor in her death, but Harry has no interest in doing that. Refusing to recognize that reality permits him to go through life with a built-in grievance and a permanent chip on his shoulder, which has come to feel normal and right. We know this because he continues to display it publicly and regularly. 

I was quite surprised to learn that the Royal Rota is the British equivalent of a press pool in America. Given the depth of the hatred and anger Harry has expressed, I had the impression that the rota protocol required him to mingle and converse with the press and submit to interviews on the regular. I thought they sat or stood near him at various functions and hectored and badgered him with questions and comments. I thought he was powerless against a juggernaut of uncivilized behavior. None of that is true. Harry objects to their very existence; their behavior is a lesser consideration.

The rota was created to grant equal access to all journalists who report on a royal family that depends on the public purse for its existence. Four of the seven print publications participating in the rota are tabloids and their inclusion is based on documented circulation. Credentialed press representatives consult the royal engagement calendars and submit requests for passes to events that interest them and their readers. They are bound by membership in the rota to share their observations and photos with all journalists nationwide who are not in attendance. The press pool is highly organized and regulated and has a strictly enforced dress code; it is not an unholy cabal or alliance. 

I cannot deny that unfavorable coverage exists but I wonder why Harry chooses to focus on it. Why isn't his beef with the very large segment of the British public that buys and reads and therefore supports the tabs? They aren't published for a nonexistent customer base. Is he assailed by headlines when he's in checkout paying for dog biscuits and toilet paper and a gallon of milk? Does he see the headlines when he visits friends and sees the tabs on their coffee tables? Do friends call him and recite the latest headlines and stories? How, and how often, is he exposed to the unfavorable publicity and how does it impact his life? Why does he allow it to impact his life? Given how woke he is I find it surprising that he doesn't subscribe to "Your opinion of me is none of my business." But if he is a grievance collector he seeks awareness of unfavorable coverage so he can continually stoke his anger.

I wonder how much he would object to the rota and its coverage if he was The Heir instead of The Spare. I have the impression that the tedious, paltry, backwater engagements that largely make up the royal calendars are not and never have been his cup of tea. The hardest working royals make most of their appearances at events in those categories. I have the impression that for a very long time he has seen himself worthy of and entitled to frying bigger fish from a bigger pond in a bigger pan. He has now attained what he wanted for a long time and he didn't have to take a vow of poverty lower his basic, everyday circumstances very much, if at all. Have at it, Harry. I can't resist saying that, all the woke talk aside, his new life comes with a great big golden parachute and if it didn't he would still be at Frogmore. Pissing and moaning, but still at Frogmore. 

Edited by suomi · Reason: typo
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, suomi said:

I cannot deny that unfavorable coverage exists but I wonder why Harry chooses to focus on it. Why isn't his beef with the very large segment of the British public that buys and reads and therefore supports the tabs? They aren't published for a nonexistent customer base. Is he assailed by headlines when he's in checkout paying for dog biscuits and toilet paper and a gallon of milk? Does he see the headlines when he visits friends and sees the tabs on their coffee tables? Do friends call him and recite the latest headlines and stories? How, and how often, is he exposed to the unfavorable publicity and how does it impact his life? Why does he allow it to impact his life?

There is a simple explanation for your questions: Meghan. 

I don’t think Harry gives a rat’s ass what the British tabloids say about him. What/Who Harry cares about is his *wife*. He cares about his wife’s mental health. It became evident that the British tabloids treatment of Meghan had reacted such a level that it was affecting her mental health. That interview Meghan gave while in Africa —I forget exactly where— not too long after Archie’s birth was illuminating and heartbreaking. The poor woman was shocked that the reporter asked her how she was doing. IMO, it was apparent that something deeper than “I don’t like this” was happening.

I think the proof lies in the video that Meghan did a couple of months ago where she’s reading the book while Archie is in her lap. She is *radiant.* I don’t think she’d been that happy since her son’s birth. I’m not an expert by any means, but looking back on photos and videos in the life, I can tell the times when I was “radiant” and healthy versus the times where I am just not, to put it mildly.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 14

6 hours ago, suomi said:

I have the impression that for a very long time he has seen himself worthy of and entitled to frying bigger fish from a bigger pond in a bigger pan. 

Isn’t that the hope we all have for those that come after us in families, that each generation strives for more?  Must we all accept the station that the generations before us set for us, rather than find our own path? Even those that are wealthy and privileged?  I’m guessing after a ten year military career, I believe he was pulled from Afghanistan because some press published his whereabouts, tea & crumpets on the ready would be pretty unfulfilling.  Woke or not  

Why the fuss that he’s breaking away as the spare (now the spare in the back of the garage as Will has created more spares?)  Even if he’s ‘crazy like his mom’ who cares?  The monarchy is just as stable today as it was last year—-meaning shaky when folks really think about the cost & frivolity of figureheads.  

And if Meghan is the ultimate grifter (as many claim)....whooboy, isn’t that just another salacious story in royal family history that feeds the insatiable appetite for the rota for generations to come??!!  

• Like 11

7 hours ago, suomi said:

I have the impression that for a very long time he has seen himself worthy of and entitled to frying bigger fish from a bigger pond in a bigger pan. He has now attained what he wanted for a long time and he didn't have to take a vow of poverty lower his basic, everyday circumstances very much, if at all. Have at it, Harry. I can't resist saying that, all the woke talk aside, his new life comes with a great big golden parachute and if it didn't he would still be at Frogmore. Pissing and moaning, but still at Frogmore. 

Imagine being told your whole life that you come second to your brother. Not because he's smarter or more talented, but because he was born first and you were born second. Not only that, but that you have to literally bow down to him. Family dynamics can be complicated in "regular" families, and I imagine even more so in royal families. 

Harry has a view into William and William's life that very few have. He sees the flaws. And maybe it does rankle him, to see someone who isn't that great, but who will still be the king of England just because of the family he was born into. 

So he joined the military and made it his own. William joined, too, but Harry made a longer career out of it and outranks his brother (in ranks that were earned, not bestowed upon them by the Queen). And then some of those ranks are taken away, but not the honorary ranks of his uncle, who might be a pedophile, and is certainly a rapist? Yup, that would piss off most of us. 

Would he have stayed at Frogmore with Meghan and Archie? Maybe, but probably not. I think with Meghan he's learning, for the first time, that his royal family is incredibly dysfunctional. And the royal rota is totally and utterly racist. The things that they pick on Meghan for are things that Kate just slides by on. Kate does one zoom meeting and she's lauded. Meghan does multiple meetings, speaks to people, encourages them, volunteers in person and it's "oh she said she wanted privacy but look at how public she is." They can't win. 

Of course his new life comes with a golden parachute. The insanely rich are different from you or me, after all. 

• Like 22

@suomi, I agree with what you wrote in part and disagree in part.   Harry is very much his mother's son, I agree.   This Netflix thing is just another example of rushing into things and announcing before its all come together.    He is not a planner, for all his military training.   But I disagree that the low level Royal stuff was not his cup of tea.   After he left the military, he became a full time working Royal.   I think he did MORE engagements than William.   He was willing to put in the time and effort to do the work.   One thing Harry is not is work shy.   He accepted this was his duty and he did it.   Meaghan accepted it too.    She jumped right in with both feet.    If the press had backed off just a little from Meaghan (and I agree with whoever said it up above about Princess Pushy and her brooch, she should have been told to take it off), they would still be working Royals.    There is absolutely nothing to suggest that Harry resents his brother for being Heir.    Yes, he has insight into William's life that we don't have.   Quite frankly, that means he sees what it REALLY means to be the Heir.   It's not all glitz and glamour and dressing up for cool things.   He's glad he's the Spare.   If he weren't, he knows he couldn't walk away no matter what was said about his wife and child.   The Spare can get away with things that the Heir cannot (cough, Andrew, cough).   

This is all new.   But Harry is still a member of the family, even if not a working member of the Family.   Their announcement was they were stepping back.    I would not be surprised if things change when Charles becomes King.   If William becomes King while his kids are still young (and by that I mean not out of university even), then I can really see Harry going back and supporting them.   Because William has no love for the tabs either.    Harry isn't the only one who blames them for his mother's death.    William just can't let it show because he's the Heir.

• Like 13

To everybody who believes the royal rota is a legitimate press pack, put on a mask and get in touch with me.  I have a bridge to sell you.  

For all those who refuse to be what others think you should be and continue to walk your own path in spite of those mocking you along the way:  CONTINUE TO SHINE YOUR LIGHT.  Let the others stay mad.  

• Like 22

33 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

This Netflix thing is just another example of rushing into things and announcing before its all come together. 

Whatever are you talking about? Do you see industry sites saying this was rushed? Netflix doesn't announce deals that aren't finalized.   If you're talking about the claim the royal family has to examine the details, please.  That was spin to make monarchists believe the royal family still has some control.  The ink is dried and this deal is done.  It would be best for gossipmongers and courtiers to stay out of of Netflix's business before Reed and Ted hurt their feelings. 

Now let me go and enjoy the weekend.

• Like 12

I don't think Harry's position with the family will change when Charles or William becomes king. And that's not a reflection of his relationship with either one or of his relationship with his grandmother, necessarily. I'd venture to say that he and Meghan are probably not interested in returning to royal life. They've also taken some pretty significant steps toward a new life (Netflix deal, the house), and I'd venture to say that a return to royal life would probably include strings attached on some or all of that. 

• Like 3

I think it’s unfair to say how Harry should react to his mother’s death. Even if a person has gone through similar circumstances, everyone’s an individual who experiences tragedy in different ways. William is not as outwardly consumed by Diana’s, but I always believed that he grieved just as deeply as Harry did, but more privately. Logically, Harry may understand that his mother’s courtship with the press exacerbated their treatment of her, but emotionally it’s easier to blame the press, especially when they decided to photograph her in lieu of calling an ambulance.

Harry did not want to deal with the Royal Rota, so when he had to choose between working as a full-time royal or leaving, he left.

I agree with the above that, barring tragedy, Harry is not coming back into the royal fold. It’s probably difficult to have your grandmother, father, and older brother as your bosses as well. He now has that opportunity to rebuild his relationships with his family without the hierarchy.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

This Netflix thing is just another example of rushing into things and announcing before its all come together.   

How so? I sincerely doubt Netflix would've made an announcement if things hadn't "come together."

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Netflix doesn't announce deals that aren't finalized.

Yeah, the idea that a multibillion company didn't finalize a deal isn't realistic.

Edited by PepSinger · Reason: edit cause it's actually BILLION and not MILLION
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But Harry is still a member of the family, even if not a working member of the Family.   Their announcement was they were stepping back.    I would not be surprised if things change when Charles becomes King.   If William becomes King while his kids are still young (and by that I mean not out of university even), then I can really see Harry going back and supporting them.   Because William has no love for the tabs either.    Harry isn't the only one who blames them for his mother's death.    William just can't let it show because he's the Heir.

I agree with this. I don’t doubt Harry loves his brother, but he also doesn’t envy his role. The familial love doesn’t stop because you don’t want to work in the family business. 

• Like 11

Not to put too fine a point on it, no one here can offer anything beyond their opinion. 

Those who believe the Duke is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the rota is a vicious alliance are offering an opinion; those who believe he is not averse to being disingenuous and is written about and photographed in exchange for unearned wealth and privilege are offering an opinion. 

• Like 10

14 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

If you're talking about the claim the royal family has to examine the details, please.  That was spin to make monarchists believe the royal family still has some control.

And that was why Harry & Meghan lost the “HRH” styling on their Duke & Duchess of Sussex titles after the agreement for them to no longer be working Senior Royals was made: Because they were no longer Senior Royals & so the Royal Family wouldn’t be tied to their commercial deals (I read what I just said & I’m still not sure I described it accurately). Despite the loss of the “HRH”, they can still be referred to as Harry, Duke of Sussex & Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. It’s similar to when Diana & Fergie lost their “HRH” after they divorced out of the family: they got to keep their titles, Diana, Princess of Wales & Sarah, Duchess of York, but they could no longer use the “HRH” with their respective titles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

And that was why Harry & Meghan lost the “HRH” styling on their Duke & Duchess of Sussex titles after the agreement for them to no longer be working Senior Royals was made: Because they were no longer Senior Royals & so the Royal Family wouldn’t be tied to their commercial deals (I read what I just said & I’m still not sure I described it accurately). Despite the loss of the “HRH”, they can still be referred to as Harry, Duke of Sussex & Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. It’s similar to when Diana & Fergie lost their “HRH” after they divorced out of the family: they got to keep their titles, Diana, Princess of Wales & Sarah, Duchess of York, but they could no longer use the “HRH” with their respective titles.

They didn’t lose their HRH. That’s still their official title they are just voluntarily not using it. Diana and Fergie did lose the title with their divorces. It’s closer to Camilla choosing to use Duchess of Cornwall rather than Princess of Wales. It’s a meaningless, symbolic gesture that shuts people up.

Being full time royals isn’t connected to the HRH title. Lots of member of the BRF have been HRH’s without being working royals including Beatrice and Eugenie. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 8
  • Useful 3

2 hours ago, suomi said:

Those who believe the Duke is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the rota is a vicious alliance are offering an opinion; those who believe he is not averse to being disingenuous and is written about and photographed in exchange for unearned wealth and privilege are offering an opinion

I think that's an exaggeration. That is certainly not what I'm saying.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Dani said:

They didn’t lose their HRH. That’s still their official title they are just voluntarily not using it. Diana and Fergie did lose the title with their divorces. It’s closer to Camilla choosing to use Duchess of Cornwall rather than Princess of Wales. It’s a meaningless, symbolic gesture that shuts people up.

Being full time royals isn’t connected to the HRH title. Lots of member of the BRF have been HRH’s without being working royals including Beatrice and Eugenie. 

Thanks for the clarification/correction. I knew I wasn’t gonna explain it quite right.

• Like 3

The royal rota are unprofessional gossipers and I only eat the very best sliced bread.  In my opinion of course.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 13

I never said the Netflix deal was not finalized, I said it was rushed.    I really don't think that Harry and Meaghan thought about the implications of saying implying we want to be left alone AND suddenly doing a huge deal with Netflix.   I am sure the lawyers went through the deal carefully.   But I don't think they thought beyond "Now we can do documentaries about allllll the topics we love" without thinking it through carefully.   Like the fact that the Daily Fail and others can still hire folks in America to cover them.   US defamation laws are muuuuuch tougher to prove than in the UK.    By making documentaries, they are making themselves into public figures, which has a different standard than if they had just quietly gone about their charitable work.   

• Like 4

12 hours ago, suomi said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, no one here can offer anything beyond their opinion. 

Those who believe the Duke is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the rota is a vicious alliance are offering an opinion; those who believe he is not averse to being disingenuous and is written about and photographed in exchange for unearned wealth and privilege are offering an opinion. 

Although the older I've gotten, the more I realize nothing and no one in this world is  totally black and white (or with one side being flawless saints while the other side is comprised of those who evil to the marrow of the bones with zero redeeming features), count me as one who believes that the Sussexes are closer to be being convenient sized bread despite the rota being vicious via attempting to scorch them into charcoal no matter what either of them says or does- than the latter option. 

The above said, I just hope that the Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex will one day re(?)-learn to love each other for who the other is rather than the elder possibly resenting the younger for the choice he made for himself and his family and being upset that he himself has little to no chance of making a similar choice due to being 2nd in line! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Does anyone know how long the Sussexes have been working with Netflix on this deal? Or whether perhaps they already had a plan/proposal that they were offering to different networks?

Last month Variety reported they had been talking to networks since June. 

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It remains curious to me how everything they do is found failing in some way. I bet if they'd just quietly gone about their charitable work they'd then be criticized for being slackers instead of using their public platform for greater good. There's no winning for them with the constant naysayers and IMO they should go ahead and do what they want they do.

Exactly. I’m not even that big of a fan of Harry and Meghan but it’s so frustrating to watch every move they make being spun in a negative way. You see people try dismiss the impact of the UK tabloids but it apparent to see how what they write is viewed as fact regardless of how much evidence there is that they lie.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1

YMMV, but in my ever so humble opinion, I believe some of the overreaction and seemingly borderline anger/disgust towards Harry and Meghan is due to the old adage of "people don't like having the fourth wall broken". The reality is there are people who are staunch Royalists, as in they are fans of, some even reaching borderline stan level, for the British Royal Family. They love and revere the history, what it represents, the members of it, etc. There's an idealized vision of it. 

I am NOT one of these people. I'm two years younger than William, which means I wasn't even born when Charles and Diana got married, I wasn't old enough to understand or care during all the War of the Wales saga and my memory of her death was more so remembering the many news stories/images, etc. of people mourning. Oh and Elton John singing Candle in the Wind at the funeral. 

As I got older, I paid mild attention to William and Harry as they got older but honestly, my general feelings about the BRF and royalty in general, was that I didn't get it. I didn't and still don't see the purpose it serves. I find it archaic and so much of the so-called protocol to be bullshit. A lot of things attached to it in my opinion feeds a classist mindset, which in turn also feeds a racist mindset. There's nothing I personally find particularly good about it. The tourism dollars it brings in argument is weak to me, for the simple fact that we know France makes millions on their old monarchy buildings and history, without an active royal family.

So all that being said to say, I don't understand or relate to those who have some deep love and respect for the BRF. However, circling back to my first paragraph, my feeling is that all that's happened with Harry and Meghan this year in a way broke a bit of that fourth wall for some. And they're resented for that. In other words it exposed the old saying, "all that glitters isn't always gold". It exposed some of the cracks and failings in the institution. It suggested that maybe this "family", this "institution", isn't exactly what it appears to be or tries to sell the world. That there may be some seriously fucked up things within.

But if you're one of those who want to believe that Elizabeth is this warm granny who has led her country proudly for decades and William and Kate are just two nice, normal loving parents of three and there is nothing but the will of the monarchy to want to do good and help others, then you're not going to want to accept those cracks exist. You're going to reject the notion that maybe some shit went down between Harry and William that may not have been just Harry's fault and his throwing a tantrum. Maybe William isn't so perfect and saintly.  And maybe the "Diana's boys, bestest friends forever" the media tried to sell for years, hasn't really been the complete truth. Maybe there have been cracks for years. 

But again, if one rejects these mere possibilities, then yeah, it's easier to say it's all THEIR fault - i.e. Harry and Meghan. More so it's HER fault. If she'd never shown up, they'd still be putting on those perfect faces and everyone would be happy and the family would be perfectly fine. They're the problem. Only them.  But life is rarely ever so black and white and the truth as they say, usually lies in the gray areas. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 22

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I really don't think that Harry and Meaghan

Not to be nit picky, but it’s Meghan. There’s only one “a.”

• Like 3

On 9/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, truthaboutluv said:

I found it amusing that the British press was scandalized that Harry and Meghan were living in Tyler Perry's lavish mansion.  

Seriously?  Prince Harry grew up in actual castles.  Not just one - Kensington during the week and High Grove on the weekends.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2

I found it amusing that the British press was scandalized that Harry and Meghan were living in Tyler Perry's lavish mansion.  

I don't think the lavish mansion was the problem part. I think it being Tyler Perry's mansion was. If they had moved into, say, one of Oprah's properties (or one belonging to any number of extremely wealthy White celebities who aren't considered nouveau riche) the opulence likely would've been less of an issue.

Tyler is controversial, in part because he embraces the kinds of race-based tropes the British press would generally use to try to shame and disparage people like Meghan. His wholehearted use of those tropes is largely what has made him a billionaire. Heaven forbid any portion of his success might rub off on the Sussexes and they can continue to forge their independence.

I prefer this sort of "gossip" Harry and Meghan obsessed with In n Out. Also: I'm totally jealous and would cut a bitch for some In n Out right about now.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 12

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I prefer this sort of "gossip" Harry and Meghan obsessed with In n Out. Also: I'm totally jealous and would cut a bitch for some In n Out right about now.

I've never eaten at In n Out before (none anywhere near where I live), but I've wanted to try one ever since I watched The Big Lebowski. The "secret menu" mentioned in that article has me further intrigued. 🤣

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I've never eaten at In n Out before (none anywhere near where I live), but I've wanted to try one ever since I watched The Big Lebowski. The "secret menu" mentioned in that article has me further intrigued. 🤣

I can't tell you what it is because I'll have my CA citizenship revoked but... Google is your friend 😉

My order: hamburger, animal style, protein style, raw instead, extra pickles. Fries, xtra crispy, side of spread. I rattled that off to my dad who was completely lost. I said hand it to the dude (aka person of any gender) behind the counter and they'll know what it means.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Tyler is controversial, in part because he embraces the kinds of race-based tropes the British press would generally use to try to shame and disparage people like Meghan. His wholehearted use of those tropes is largely what has made him a billionaire. Heaven forbid any portion of his success might rub off on the Sussexes and they can continue to forge their independence.

It didn't even occur to me the issue with them staying at one of Tyler Perry's property is that he is a black man who is wildly successful. His movies aren't my style (I am not their target audience) but ever since I moved to the ATL area I learned what an amazing human he is. From his charitable giving to forming a bubble so some of his productions can safely resume, he's just an all around amazing person using his voice and position for good. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

It didn't even occur to me the issue with them staying at one of Tyler Perry's property is that he is a black man who is wildly successful. His movies aren't my style (I am not their target audience) but ever since I moved to the ATL area I learned what an amazing human he is. From his charitable giving to forming a bubble so some of his productions can safely resume, he's just an all around amazing person using his voice and position for good. 

This isn't the place to debate Tyler Perry's pluses and minuses but yes, I think Meghan and Harry being able to enjoy the benevolence of a billionaire Black man would tend to annoy the British media. They can't say much to criticize him without looking like envious hypocrites on top of racists.

• Like 6

If in doubt when posting please refer to the orange box just above where you are typing. 

• Like 3

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.