Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Hey now, squibs don’t have a choice in being squibs. Andrew is an asshole by choice.

• Laugh 12

On 8/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, Hiyo said:

Nope. These kids are American no matter where they reside, and how long. Where Archie resides after birth would only affect HIM not being able to grant US citizenship to his kids, ie, if Archie does not reside in the US for 5 years with a minimum of 2 of those years spent after the age of fourteen, then his kids would not automatically become US citizens.

But regardless of where Archie lives, he is legally a US citizen via his mother for the rest of his life, unless he ever chooses to renounce his US citizenship one day.

Again, it is automatically provided as long as the citizen parent in question, in this case Meghan, full fills the requirements I listed above. Since Meghan does full fill the requirements, any child she has outside of the US who is not born out of wedlock at the time of birth is automatically a US citizen.

That isn't how it works. Permanent residency does not equate to being a citizen. Permit residency in the US means you have a green card, it does not make you a full citizen (you can't vote with one nor does it entitle you to the use of a US passport). If Archie wasn't a US citizen, Meghan could sponsor Archie for a green card, but he still wouldn't be an automatic citizen until he applied for citizenship. But since Archie is a US citizen, that whole process is moot at this point.

Meghan is a US citizen. Archie is a US citizen. Meghan can sponsor Harry for a green card, and then after a period of time, he can apply for US citizenship if he chooses.

I got my information from the US website:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/i-am-the-child-of-a-us-citizen#:~:text=A child who regularly resides outside of the,custody of the U.S. ... More items...

Their information seems to be different than yours.

• Like 3

Their information seems to be different than yours.

On the contrary, not at all. From the same website that you yourself provided:

Chapter 3 - U.S. Citizens at Birth (INA 301 and 309)

3. Child of U.S. Citizen Parent and Alien Parent

A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of birth:

One parent is an alien and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and

The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

4. Child of a U.S. Citizen Mother and Alien Father

A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if:

The child was born before noon (Eastern Standard Time) May 24, 1934;

The child’s father is an alien;

The child’s mother was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child’s birth; and

The child’s U.S. citizen mother resided in the United States prior to the child’s birth.

• Useful 1

Oddly enough, I've never heard a peep either way about how the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex have gotten along with their aunt-in-law, the Princess Royal but it would be great to think that the Princess Royal told the latter especially that she had HER back! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

On the contrary, not at all. From the same website that you yourself provided:

I think you two are arguing the difference between automatically qualifying for US citizenship and if the government automatically issues citizenship. In other words Archie was automatically a citizen at birth but it wouldn’t be officially acknowledged until they were notified. His citizenship would have been officially given either when Meghan went to US embassy or when he became a US resident.

Edited by Dani
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

In Archie's case, he was born a US citizen. As to what actions Meghan and Harry took when he was born, who knows.

I am curious as to whether Harry himself will pursue US citizenship or just apply for permanent residency. Also, are natural born members of the royal family allowed -officially and/or unofficially - to apply for foreign citizenship and become dual citizens?

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I am curious as to whether Harry himself will pursue US citizenship or just apply for permanent residency. Also, are natural born members of the royal family allowed -officially and/or unofficially - to apply for foreign citizenship and become dual citizens?

Technically they can and there are a few way down the line of succession who have.

Realistically Harry will never become a US citizen or resident. For one the oath of US citizenship starts with, “"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;...” I think hell would freeze over before he said those words. And two, if he becomes a resident he’ll have to start paying US taxes. Once COVID restrictions lift they’ll probably spend a good amount of time in the UK to avoid being a resident. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4

@Hiyo I was wondering the same thing about Harry. 

Just realized I cross-posted with @Dani. Thanks! I was wondering if there would be tax implications for starters. My head hurt when I was reading some article about their theoretical tax situation if they had stayed in Canada.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Blergh said:

Oddly enough, I've never heard a peep either way about how the Duchesses of Cambridge and Sussex have gotten along with their aunt-in-law, the Princess Royal but it would be great to think that the Princess Royal told the latter especially that she had HER back! 

As I recall, Meghan was sitting next to Princess Anne at Eugenie's wedding and they had what appeared to be a very amiable and animated chat prior to the ceremony.  I'd like to think that Anne told her it was all bollocks and to carry on.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

21 hours ago, Hiyo said:

In Archie's case, he was born a US citizen. As to what actions Meghan and Harry took when he was born, who knows.

Certainly, back in Queen Victoria's day, when British princesses were offered in marriage to strengthen ties with other countries, they did indeed become citizens of other nations when they married their royal counterpart overseas.

It hasn't happened much recently, because all of the immediate royal family except for Harry and Meghan have chosen to live in Britain and the vast majority have married Brits.

Anne's son, Peter, married a Canadian, Autumn, but they lived in England.  Unfortunately, they are now divorcing and she has taken the children with her to live in Canada but it appears he will continue to live in Britain.

• Useful 3

Looks like earlier reports turned out to be true.

Spain’s royal household has confirmed that the disgraced former king Juan Carlos is in the United Arab Emirates, two weeks after it was announced that he was leaving the country in an attempt to protect the crown from mounting scrutiny of his financial dealings.

The announcement set off an international guessing game, with Portugal and the Dominican Republic suggested as potential destinations for the 82-year-old.

• Useful 5

Way back here we were talking about Kristen Stewart being cast as Diana in a movie about her. Elizabeth Debicki has been cast to play Diana in the series"The Crown" & IMO, is such a better choice. I don't even know how everyone associated with the Kristen Stewart movie isn't just too embarrassed to make it now.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As I recall, Meghan was sitting next to Princess Anne at Eugenie's wedding and they had what appeared to be a very amiable and animated chat prior to the ceremony.  I'd like to think that Anne told her it was all bollocks and to carry on.

Anne seems like she’d be an awesome aunt. I would like to think that with the public split ups  and upheaval of their respective parents marriages that other members of the family, like Anne, provided some stability and support for William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie in what were no doubt turbulent times.

• Like 9

Maybe they shared a giggle about the Anne/Andrew Parker Bowles/Camilla triangle. 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

On 8/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, Hiyo said:

In Archie's case, he was born a US citizen.

According to Wikipedia, he was born at the Portland Hospital in England (the same place as his second cousins, Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie of York). So he only gets entitlement to US citizenship through being the son of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who was born in the US.

6 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Anne seems like she’d be an awesome aunt. I would like to think that with the public split ups  and upheaval of their respective parents marriages that other members of the family, like Anne, provided some stability and support for William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie in what were no doubt turbulent times.

Considering she contributed her own turbulent times, they might have been better off going to Zara for that kind of support.  I hope Meghan talked with Anne about her work ethic.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia, he was born at the Portland Hospital in England (the same place as his second cousins, Princesses Beatrice & Eugenie of York). So he only gets entitlement to US citizenship through being the son of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, who was born in the US.

Which is...basically the point I have been making. He is automatically a US citizen through his mother, though not solely because she was born in the US, but rather, she was a US citizen at the time of his birth and spent the requisite amount of time living in the US as well before he was born (5 years, with 2 of them spent after the age of 14).

• Like 12

Archie's U.S citizenship status is on topic to be discussed. Any mention of political figures is not. 

• Like 3

In a surprising crossover with video game news, the new Microsoft Flight Simulator replaces Buckingham Palace with a block of flats! Something to do with how the game uses satellite data, and then an AI to fill in the details. But it's still funny.

My first thought was what a good idea that would be. But the comments discuss the economic value of the royals. Ah well.

Edit: don't read the comments over there. It turns into an argument about... stuff.

Edited by Anduin
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Corrina zu Sayn-Wigglestein-Sayn, King Emeritus Juan Carlos's claimed longtime former mistress now claims that the £58 million ($76 million) the former Spanish king gave her was purely a gift of thanks for supporting him and NOT a bribe or an attempt at money laundering! Wouldn't a box of chocolates and a dozen red roses have done that trick? By that logic, he should have attempted to bestowed Queen Sofia Fort Knox for all SHE has done to support him and stand by him and their family down the years despite him not evidently being a true husband to her! And nothing about   Miss zu Blah-Blah-Blah planning to return any of these funds.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1325165/Royal-news-Spain-King-Juan-Carlos-lover-Corinna-Wittgenstein-gift-latest

• Like 3

An informative BBC article on Corinna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein:

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-53749630

Neither Juan Carlos nor his mistress come off at all well. I think I need to look at pictures of CP Victoria, Daniel, and Max and Wax to clear my palate. 

1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Corrina zu Sayn-Wigglestein-Sayn, King Emeritus Juan Carlos's claimed longtime former mistress now claims that the £58 million ($76 million) the former Spanish king gave her was purely a gift of thanks for supporting him and NOT a bribe or an attempt at money laundering! Wouldn't a box of chocolates and a dozen red roses have done that trick? By that logic, he should have attempted to bestowed Queen Sofia Fort Knox for all SHE has done to support him and stand by him and their family down the years despite him not evidently being a true husband to her! And nothing about   Miss zu Blah-Blah-Blah planning to return any of these funds.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1325165/Royal-news-Spain-King-Juan-Carlos-lover-Corinna-Wittgenstein-gift-latest

Hah! We posted almost simultaneously. I'll have to check out the article you posted.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, GaT said:

Way back here we were talking about Kristen Stewart being cast as Diana in a movie about her. Elizabeth Debicki has been cast to play Diana in the series"The Crown" & IMO, is such a better choice. I don't even know how everyone associated with the Kristen Stewart movie isn't just too embarrassed to make it now.

I didn't see this origially, due to the location change. Debicki is a shade shorter than my suggestion of Gwendoline Christie. Still taller than Diana was, but I'm always happy when an Aussie makes good.

• Like 2

I'm late to the party on the K Stew to play Diana news, but I pretty much agree with this chart when it comes to her range.  She has so much charisma in photographs and at red carpet/fashion events but strangely enough it rarely shows up in her acting.  Which is weird because a lot of actors have the opposite problem.

37535c6d9fde0eb593f514ded1d2b07e2fddd267f2dfeb337b1f4a9f2a4ed334.jpg.2c93ff25386cf324b491a27ac60985e9.jpg

And as a regular reader of the Go Fug Yourself web site, I was pleasantly surprised to read of the Elizabeth Debicki news because people over there have been calling that one for a couple of years. 

• Laugh 17

Just watched “Lucy Worsleys Royal Photo Album” through my local PBS station. It’s all about how royals have used photography and photos throughout the years. Really informative. For example, Victoria and Albert were apparently early adopters of the technology. Also; their daughter in law, Queen Alexandra(wife of Edward VII) was a great photographer, who would take a lot of great candid shots of the family and was actually approached by Kodak to use some of her pictures in a display promoting their technology.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

9 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Just watched “Lucy Worsleys Royal Photo Album” through my local PBS station. It’s all about how royals have used photography and photos throughout the years. Really informative. For example, Victoria and Albert were apparently early adopters of the technology. Also; their daughter in law, Queen Alexandra(wife of Edward VII) was a great photographer, who would take a lot of great candid shots of the family and was actually approached by Kodak to use some of her pictures in a display promoting their technology.

I saw it and liked it a great deal. Although Vic is often considered rather dull and blah, Dr. Worsley made a very good case about how Vic had enough shrewdness to use this brand new innovation to promote herself and her family's best interests to the public. She and Prince Albert were virtually the first public figures to recognize photography as a means to strengthen their  personality cult. Although Dr. Worsley didn't make the comparison, it's not unlike how Elizabeth I had used     woodcut mass reproductions of her own image  to promote her interests to her subjects so they'd have stronger  ties to her than even their local overlords and Parliamentary representatives! 

Also, great that Dr. Worsley highlighted Alexandra's photographic talent because she,too, has often been dismissed as stupid and ineffectual but she DID have indisputable talents and gifts that she shared with the Royal Family and their subjects for decades (in addition to consider charitable works and visits a calling rather than an obligation to endure like her eventual descendant-in-law Diana). Oh, and even though Dr. Worsley barely touched upon it, it should be noted that for the  whole of Alexandra's adulthood, she rose to these challenges rather than withdrew despite having the significant challenge of being profoundly deaf! In fact, one of the world's very first electronic hearing aids was constructed for her (and it was actually more of a proto boom box speaker), so she could hear and follow along  h Edward VII's  and her own  Joint Coronation at Westminster Abbey in 1902!

• Like 2
  • Useful 7

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Dr. Worsley  in that documentary ALSO briefly detailing how the Royals love of photography somewhat dimmed over time when their images were used to humiliate and upset them rather than solely uplifting them and their family and capped it off with the current Duke and Duchess of Sussex's reactions. 

IMO, that's the great part of Dr. Worsley's productions and books, she provides  a simultaneously enthralled yet candid outlook while detailing the historic and  documented actions/reactions of the Royals (e.g. she pulled no punches re how the so-called Glorious Revolution of 1688 was actually a xenophobic hysterical usurping of the rightful monarch and his heir for other rulers who'd be more in lockstep with what the government wanted in terms of religious preference and allegiances).

• Like 5
  • Useful 4

I completely understand why the royals stay out of politics in the UK and try to appear to be as neutral as possible. But I think since Meghan is no longer actively representing the family and is living in the US as a private citizen, she is well within her rights to be as politically active as she wants to be. I would imagine that suddenly not being able to do that was something she found very restrictive.

I think it's great she is encouraging people to vote. I'm always astonished when I talk to people who don't vote. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 22

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Meghan talks about the importance of voting and making a change

Cue a massive meltdown, of course, people saying she and Harry should be stripped of their titles.

And the overwhelming response was "not today Satan" with a social media dragging by every follicle ensuing for the last damn near 24 hours. And all it succeeded in doing was many bringing the receipts of all the times Royals have full on meddled in politics - oh like Charles and his letters and The Queen herself being exposed this year as interfering in Australian elections some years ago. Yeah those papers were meant to be sealed until AFTER her death but oopsie. 

• Like 11

Yep! Glad I’m not the only one who caught wind of the Meghan bashing by Piers, et al. Thankfully, Twitter dragged these people to hell and back, myself included. 🙂

She is a U.S. Citizen. She has given up the HRH designation. She receives no money from the Crown. She has every right to be involved with American politics. They cannot stand an outspoken Black woman, and they make their intentions known every time they speak because they are blatantly hypocritical.

• Like 23

4 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Yep! Glad I’m not the only one who caught wind of the Meghan bashing by Piers, et al.

When is Piers not bashing Meghan? 

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

Sorry for the very short notice... the Smithsonian Channel is airing a program called The Private Lives of the Windsors at 8PM Eastern tonight.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To remove unnecessary italics.
  • Like 2

When he was trying to seduce/social climb off of her!! 

Which he probably only planned to do until he felt he had a big enough pile of "dirt" he could use against her. He likely had a whole new revenue stream planned just based on his association with her. Too bad for him that she didn't fall for it. Seems like he's going to be butthurt about it forever.

• Like 5

And now Mr. Morgan is acting as though he's to be Her Majesty's Avenging Angel for some horrible public slap in the face that the Duchess of Sussex supposedly personally did to her via urging as many qualified US citizens as possible to vote in the upcoming election- despite the fact that  the Duchess is STILL a U.S. citizen and there's no law on either side of the Pond prohibiting her as such from speaking on this (or other issues).   Well, considering ALL the damage, mud and vitriol that Mr. Morgan has slung on Her Majesty's nearest and dearest for decades now, I seriously doubt she'd seek out his 'services' even if she agreed with him on this issue. Good for Miss Bette  Midler and others for calling out Mr. Morgan on this! 

How I wish Her Majesty would PUBLICLY tell him to MHOB! 

• Like 5

The Duchess Meghan Markle and Gloria Steinem - American journalist, feminist and social activist. The interview is due to happen today. Don't know what time though. Meghan looks extremely relaxed. Love it!

Edited by Enero
  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

I think it was shortly after the marriage of the Prince and late Princess of Wales that Ms. Steinem said that the only way the Royal family could somehow redeem itself would have been had the former married someone of with an African or Asian background.

So, my guess is that she was quite supportive the Duke of Sussex marrying the former Miss Markle a biracial with an African background but I guess we'll learn more via this interview. 

I mean, we know where they live right?  Even down to who their neighbors.  It's not a secret.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

I mean, we know where they live right?  Even down to who their neighbors.  It's not a secret.

Yeah. Property records in California are public so the press has had the address all along. Although their reported “neighbors” are just other celebrities who live in Montecito and not true neighbors. 

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, Blergh said:

And now Mr. Morgan is acting as though he's to be Her Majesty's Avenging Angel for some horrible public slap in the face that the Duchess of Sussex supposedly personally did to her via urging as many qualified US citizens as possible to vote in the upcoming election- despite the fact that  the Duchess is STILL a U.S. citizen and there's no law on either side of the Pond prohibiting her as such from speaking on this (or other issues).  

David Simon (creator of The Wire) handled him and the usual suspects haters crew and it was glorious.  

Isn't the Daily Star a rag even beneath the non-standards of tabloids?  Besides, as stated, Variety already published the address since they always keep track of real estate transactions.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, Hiyo said:

Looks like earlier reports turned out to be true.

Spain’s royal household has confirmed that the disgraced former king Juan Carlos is in the United Arab Emirates, two weeks after it was announced that he was leaving the country in an attempt to protect the crown from mounting scrutiny of his financial dealings.

The announcement set off an international guessing game, with Portugal and the Dominican Republic suggested as potential destinations for the 82-year-old.

To think this same Juan Carlos once was thought of with such promise and hope.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:57 PM, Dani said:

Yeah. Property records in California are public so the press has had the address all along. Although their reported “neighbors” are just other celebrities who live in Montecito and not true neighbors. 

With respect, just because Harry, Meghan, & Archie have other celebrities for neighbors, I think they’re still true neighbors; they just happen to be more well off than other people’s neighbors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

With respect, just because Harry, Meghan, & Archie have other celebrities for neighbors, I think they’re still true neighbors; they just happen to be more well off than other people’s neighbors.

Of course celebrities can be true neighbors. Not true neighbors was a reference to not actually living in the same neighborhood. The tabloids are using neighbors to mean one of the other 9,000 people who live in Montecito. It’s a multi-million dollar home so of course the Sussex’s actual neighbors are extremely wealthy but they’re not Ellen or Oprah. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.