Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh and don't forget the current Duke of Edinburgh's family (except his sainted mother) were fervent Nazis.   A bunch of them were wiped out in a plane crash that somehow became Philip's fault.   Honestly the guy was better off without his family.

His whole family? I’ve only read that three of his four sisters (Margarita, Cecilie and Sophie) had ties to the Nazi party but nothing connecting his sister Theodora or his father. Supposedly Margarita’s husband was a Nazi but he ended up plotting to kill Hitler. 

Despite what was shown on The Crown, Philip didn’t have anything to do with the plane crash that killed his sister Cecilie. She was actually traveling to a wedding. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 6
  • Useful 5

Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014 due to a corruption scandal, will be leaving Spain. No word yet on exactly when, nor where he will be living. Sigh. I used to like him, back in the last millennium. He was probably corrupt then, too, but he seemed heroic and good in the first couple of decades post Franco.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53642283

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Surprise 2

10 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

I have fixed my post. Thanks for pointing that out. I can't believe I actually made that mistake, as I should and do know better!

No worries. Being out of my office since mid-March, I am seriously missing my interactions with folks at the jail who enjoy playing "Stump the Chaplain." My Lint Trap Brain has too much crammed into it!

Shannon

• Laugh 1

1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

Juan Carlos, who abdicated in 2014 due to a corruption scandal, will be leaving Spain. No word yet on exactly when, nor where he will be living. Sigh. I used to like him, back in the last millennium. He was probably corrupt then, too, but he seemed heroic and good in the first couple of decades post Franco.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53642283

Too bad it doesn't mention Queen Sofia's whereabouts! I mean, it seems that their union hasn't been all that happy thanks to him evidently having quite a few 'female acquaintances' over the decades but one wonders if she has joined/will join him in his new nation OR whether she'd prefer to stay in Spain close to her son and granddaughters! She's not been accused of any corruption. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Too bad it doesn't mention Queen Sofia's whereabouts! I mean, it seems that their union hasn't been all that happy thanks to him evidently having quite a few 'female acquaintances' over the decades but one wonders if she has joined/will join him in his new nation OR whether she'd prefer to stay in Spain close to her son and granddaughters! She's not been accused of any corruption. 

Doesn’t she have a poor relationship with Letizia though?

3 hours ago, praeceptrix said:

He was probably corrupt then, too, but he seemed heroic and good in the first couple of decades post Franco.

The Franco death watch went on for weeks and months in 1975, with newsreaders providing tedious updates. Everyone was sick of it.

That was the first season of Saturday Night Live and Chevy Chase tweaked the establishment by confirming the death in Weekend Update sketches for a couple years.

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" and "The Generalissimo continues to hang on to death."

• Laugh 12

Some people are calling it an "exile".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/spains-scandal-hit-former-king-juan-carlos-to-move-abroad

From the article:

Swiss prosecutors are looking into a number of accounts held in the country by the former monarch and his alleged associates. It is alleged in documents from the Swiss prosecutors that Juan Carlos received a $100m “donation” from the king of Saudi Arabia that he put in an offshore account in 2008. Four years later he allegedly gifted €65m from the account to his former lover Corinna Larsen.

Hey Juan, do you ever have a male lovers that you gift them gifts of that nature? Asking for a friend...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Doesn’t she have a poor relationship with Letizia though?

I think there was one instance in which Queen Letitizia and Queen Emerita Sofia were at a ceremony for Leonor, the Princess of Asturias (the heiress)  and they were caught on  camera having a disagreement but whether that was typical of their bond or mother- and daughter-in-law were just having a strained time in that particular moment, I'm not sure!  In any case, it's hard to imagine that a grandmother would want to leave their minor grandchildren to live in another country if they didn't need to even if they didn't get along swimmingly with their grandchildren's other parent- especially if their union with the  spouse who IS leaving the nation hasn't been idyllic. 

• Like 4

OK, it turns out that, despite her husband's departure for an as yet known foreign country, the Queen Emerita Sofia WILL be staying in Spain.  In spite of Queen Letitzia herself having been divorced before her marriage to King Felipe VI, I doubt that Juan Carlos and Sofia will divorce even though their union hasn't been idyllic for quite sometime. 

https://us.hola.com/royals/20200804fpxi7w3zgu/queen-sofia-stay-spain-husband-king-juan-carlos-leaves-country

• Useful 5

Some reports are already saying he is in the Dominican Republic.

• Useful 2

Re names mentioned above:  Zara was suggested to Anne by Charles, which has always made me wonder what a daughter of his would have been named.  I always assumed Elizabeth, not so much in honor of Charles' mother, but his grandmother, but who knows?  Perhaps it would have been a non-traditional name, especially if the daughter was not the first born.  Peter Phillips is named after his paternal grandfather - Peter is also Mark Phillips' third name.  It seems the name Peter was picked not as a "royal" name, but as a family name.  Also, Mark Phillips' mother's name was Anne, so Zara's second name of Anne is not just for her mother, but for her paternal grandmother.  Her full name is Zara Anne Elizabeth.   And I'm sure I read somewhere that Elizabeth gave herself the nickname Lilibet, that it is how she pronounced her name when she began to speak, not how Margaret pronounced her name.  

I have a friend who is slightly crazy about the late Diana, Princess of Wales, so when it was announced that the Cambridge daughter's name would be Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, she went on a rant about why Elizabeth went before Diana, what a slight it was, the RF once again dumping on Diana, blah blah blah.  I pointed out that Elizabeth is Catherine's middle name, as well as Carole Middleton's middle name, and perhaps it was that in combination with wanting to honor the Queen which resulted in Elizabeth, not Diana, as the second name.  My friend did a very good Emily Litella impression, saying "Oh, I didn't know that Elizabeth was Catherine's middle name, and her mother's middle name.  Never mind!"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

And Charlotte Diana Elizabeth just doesn't sound right.

To commemorate the 58th anniversary of Jamaica's independence:

Fun fact: Jamaica gained its independence in 1962, ten years after Elizabeth's coronation, so the milestone celebrations happen in the same year--Harry visited Jamaica in 2012 to mark both her Diamond Jubilee and Jamaica's Golden Anniversary. 

Edited by Camille
  • Like 6

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited the seaside resort of Barry Island in South Wales this morning. The visit was not announced in advance, in order to minimise crowds, in this time of plague. Apparently, they admitted being big Gavin & Stacey fans and visited the arcade where Nessa works in the show. The aim of visit was talk to local businesses about the difficulties the hospitality and tourism sectors have had to face during the coronavirus lockdown.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip offer their condolences after yesterday's tragic and horrendous explosion in Beirut.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-queen-prince-philip-deeply-22474321

The Queen and Prince Philip have sent a message of condolence to the President of the Republic of Lebanon following a blast in Beirut that killing at least 100 people.

Queen Elizabeth II said she and the Duke of Edinburgh have been left “deeply saddened” by the explosion, which shook the city on Tuesday afternoon.

Thousands were injured in the blast, and at least 100 killed, in what has been dubbed a “mini Hiroshima” by people around the globe.

Also on the Royal Family instagram:

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Did we mention that Phils and the Queen flew into Scotland yesterday for a stay at Balmoral? I think the photos were at the Daily Mail so I won’t link. Phils looks ghastly, but the Queen looks good. They had their dogs on the flight with them. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I saw the pics of Kate and William's trip to Wales.   I gotta say Kate is not nearly as good at the mask matching her outfit game as Maxima.   She really needs to get with it.    Also there were a few pics were they were laughing with folks and NOT wearing masks.   That really bothered me.

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

Are they outside and keeping a 6 foot distance? I don't there's a problem if that's the case. Unless the guidlines are different in the UK than in my country. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I saw the pics of Kate and William's trip to Wales.   I gotta say Kate is not nearly as good at the mask matching her outfit game as Maxima.   She really needs to get with it.    Also there were a few pics were they were laughing with folks and NOT wearing masks.   That really bothered me.

They were outdoors and keeping a safe distance, as our local guidance requires. Our numbers have been really low in Wales from the start, much lower than the rest of the UK.

I was at that same beach exactly one week earlier - I can't decide if I'm glad I missed their visit or wish they'd timed it to coincide with mine!

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 12
  • Useful 2

7 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

It's everything a castle should be!

After traveling numerous times to the UK,  I've visited most of the Royal palaces.  Because of the horrible fire at Windsor,  Buckingham Palace was opened in the mid 90s, to help finance the repairs at Windsor, with our admission money.  It was quite special to stand in line with the well dressed people from outside London, who were also able to visit that first year.

I will say that my favorite was Glamis Castle in Scotland.  Home to the Queen Mum, with beautiful gardens.  It was so isolated, with few other tourists. Very special.

Edit ... both my husband and I visited Windsor in 2005.  Other than Holyrood, in Edinburgh, one of the best palaces located in a city where there are a ton places to eat and shop.

Edited by fonfereksglen · Reason: Spelling, as usual.
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

I’m partial to Cawdor Castle in Scotland, with Stirling running a close second.

• Like 3

One bit of Royal trivia I've never seen confirmed anywhere about the Engagement of Prince Phillip and the future Elizabeth II is this: which of them proposed (and what did he/she say)?

While the traditional course of action would have been for the man to propose to the woman, since Princess Elizabeth was the Heiress Presumptive of Great Britain and Phillip was nowhere near as titled (and homeless with almost no disposable income to boot), the protocol would have been for HER to have proposed to him. Yet, for better or worse, Phillip was never someone who totally adhered to protocol. Yet, of course for him to have done so  would have risked rejection from her (and instantly all access to her would have been blocked ). Then,too, he seemed as if he'd have been quite content to have risen in the Royal Navy ranks entirely on his own (but he'd have never been able to consider marriage to another Royal or noble  had she either not initiated a proposal or rejected one). Yes, it's also true that George VI sent the whole family on a lengthy tour of South Africa just to see if her infatuation for him might fade- and ANY proposal would have had to have had HIS approval for their marriage to proceed without major consequences to her. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

One bit of Royal trivia I've never seen confirmed anywhere about the Engagement of Prince Phillip and the future Elizabeth II is this: which of them proposed (and what did he/she say)?

While the traditional course of action would have been for the man to propose to the woman, since Princess Elizabeth was the Heiress Presumptive of Great Britain and Phillip was nowhere near as titled (and homeless with almost no disposable income to boot), the protocol would have been for HER to have proposed to him. Yet, for better or worse, Phillip was never someone who totally adhered to protocol. Yet, of course for him to have done so  would have risked rejection from her (and instantly all access to her would have been blocked ). Then,too, he seemed as if he'd have been quite content to have risen in the Royal Navy ranks entirely on his own (but he'd have never been able to consider marriage to another Royal or noble  had she either not initiated a proposal or rejected one). Yes, it's also true that George VI sent the whole family on a lengthy tour of South Africa just to see if her infatuation for him might fade- and ANY proposal would have had to have had HIS approval for their marriage to proceed without major consequences to her. 

Well from what we know, QE and Prince Philip were “seeing each other” in the 20th century version of the term after she was 18 and she was gung ho about them getting married in the future, with George VI waiting until she was 21yrs old to announce an official engagement to be sure. 

The timeline probably went like this:

1. Elizabeth thinks Philip is a dish and they start “dating”, it’s made clear to Philip by the powers that be that Elizabeth is hot for him would he be interested in being a consort if she chooses him. 

2. Elizabeth continues to be hot for Philip, yup she wants him for her consort, she and he talk about it and he’s game. 

3. Elizabeth goes her her Dad “he’s the one I want.”, then all the men (The King, Philip and Lord Mountbatten) chat about what being a consort would mean for Philip and The King wants his daughter happy but there has to be a clear set of expectations here. Philip states he understands what’s expected of him. 

4. The King tells Elizabeth and Philip hes fine with their engagement but they have to wait until she is 21. 

5. Elizabeth patiently waits until shes 21 (the continue to date), Philip likely has a private proposal for her because at the end of the day she is still a young woman and she was in love with him. 

6. engagement officially confirmed, and then announced. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well from what we know, QE and Prince Philip were “seeing each other” in the 20th century version of the term after she was 18 and she was gung ho about them getting married in the future, with George VI waiting until she was 21yrs old to announce an official engagement to be sure. 

The timeline probably went like this:

1. Elizabeth thinks Philip is a dish and they start “dating”, it’s made clear to Philip by the powers that be that Elizabeth is hot for him would he be interested in being a consort if she chooses him. 

2. Elizabeth continues to be hot for Philip, yup she wants him for her consort, she and he talk about it and he’s game. 

3. Elizabeth goes her her Dad “he’s the one I want.”, then all the men (The King, Philip and Lord Mountbatten) chat about what being a consort would mean for Philip and The King wants his daughter happy but there has to be a clear set of expectations here. Philip states he understands what’s expected of him. 

4. The King tells Elizabeth and Philip hes fine with their engagement but they have to wait until she is 21. 

5. Elizabeth patiently waits until shes 21 (the continue to date), Philip likely has a private proposal for her because at the end of the day she is still a young woman and she was in love with him. 

6. engagement officially confirmed, and then announced. 

I saw an old photo of Prince Phillip and he was quite dishy.  Prince Harry actually looks a great deal like his grandfather when he was a young man.  I guess Elizabeth didn’t get to do a lot of dating if she started dating her now husband at 18.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ms.Moon said:

I saw an old photo of Prince Phillip and he was quite dishy.  Prince Harry actually looks a great deal like his grandfather when he was a young man.  I guess Elizabeth didn’t get to do a lot of dating if she started dating her now husband at 18.

Likely no. 1. She was the heiress presumptive. 2. There was a war going on. 3. She was under 18. 

Now I don’t doubt Elizabeth had a social life before her 18th birthday that may have included male peers from the aristocracy. Lunches, picnics, parties, that sort of thing. 

But rich kids in the 1940s in the USA or Britain didn’t “date” the way we think of it. Modern dating was just getting started in the 20s -going out in public unchaperoned together for the purposes of recreation and romantic entanglements without clear expectations of marriage.  That wasn’t really a huge thing until the post war boom for adolescents. It was much more common for adults to host social events for young people to mingle and talk (chaperoned), perhaps dance, eat, listen to music to see whom got along with whom well for an appropriate marriage. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Apparently, Elizabeth never really looked at anyone but Philip, after they met when she was around 13.  There was no one else in consideration.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ancslove said:

Apparently, Elizabeth never really looked at anyone but Philip, after they met when she was around 13.  There was no one else in consideration.

She was in love then.  They have been married forever so I guess it worked out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ancslove said:

Lol. I’ve been popping between forums and I thought for a minute I was in The Americans. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 15

2 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

She was in love then.  They have been married forever so I guess it worked out.

Even if it didn't, I doubt she would get divorced.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GaT said:

During the time she might have divorced him, it wouldn’t have been acceptable.

By the time it would have been acceptable, the two had worked through their differences and come out stronger for having to work it out.

YMMV, but I believe it was probably as simple as that for HM and the Duke of Edinburgh.

• Like 5

I can see her running through a raging bonfire covered in gasoline soaked flannel pajamas before she entertains the notion of getting a divorce.

Who knows, maybe racist elitist snobs are what gets her going.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, katie9918 said:

During the time she might have divorced him, it wouldn’t have been acceptable.

By the time it would have been acceptable, the two had worked through their differences and come out stronger for having to work it out.

YMMV, but I believe it was probably as simple as that for HM and the Duke of Edinburgh.

I think it's likely you GOT what's been going on between those two. My own parents had some frosty times during the middle of their 50+ year marriage but towards the last part of my late father's life, they truly re-learned to love each other for who they were!  I definitely believe that they (somewhat like my parents) have embodied the idea that, via using the commitment of marriage, they stayed together to try to work things out between each other during those times when things weren't so pleasant between the two of them.  I also think even during their rockiest times, their bond was by no means as toxic as other bonds (e.g. Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands - the latter attempted to depose her [with himself as regent via their eldest minor daughter]after she got enthralled with a live-in faith-healer to try to cure one of their daughter's blindness AND he had several extramarital offspring.)No, I'm not to pretend that the Duke of Edinburgh has no shadowside (and, yes, it's rather disheartening that he has so many blind spots re differing ethnicities). However, I think they HAVE been a mutual support and boon to each other down the decades despite their differences.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

At first it was Portugal, then the Dominican Republic, but now Abu Dhabi is firming as the most likely place of residence for Spain’s scandal-hit former king Juan Carlos.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/09/juan-carlos-spain-king-abu-dhabi-reports

I wonder if the fact that Abu Dhabi still has a monarchial system in place while the others have long since become republics could possibly be a contributing factor in the king emeritus choosing that spot. Of course, it's also closer than the other spots to Saudi Arabia but with more open secular diversions.  

Yeah, one would think that he'd have tried to keep his nose clean and just contented himself with being a semi-retired royal after abdication but it looks like he somewhat followed the Duke of Windsor's lead. Too bad. 

• Useful 2

I wonder if the fact that Abu Dhabi still has a monarchial system in place while the others have long since become republics could possibly be a contributing factor in the king emeritus choosing that spot. Of course, it's also closer than the other spots to Saudi Arabia but with more open secular diversions.  

I think it's more of a degree of living at a certain level of luxury while also maintaining a certain level of privacy.

Truthfully, I'm surprised he didn't pick somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Spain...then again, who knows, it still isn't confirmed that he has settled in Abu Dhabi.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

While the protests in Thailand are aimed mainly against the socio-political elite and demanding more freedoms, it seems the shine on the Thai royal family is waning a bit there as well:

Thailand protesters 'cross the Rubicon' and risk all to criticise the monarchy.

Over recent weeks, high school and university students have targeted the government of prime minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha, calling for its dissolution and for democratic reforms. Now, some protesters have begun openly criticising the country’s wealthy and powerful monarchy.

Such public comments are highly unusual, and have left the government in a bind. Allowing criticism to pass would undermine the status quo that keeps them in power, say analysts, while cracking down hard on the students could foment further protests and intensify scrutiny of the monarchy.

Thailand has some of the strictest lèse-majesté (wounded majesty) laws in the world, and anyone who “defames, insults or threatens the king, queen, heir-apparent or regent” can face up to 15 years on each charge.

Protests, which are organised by different groups, are broadly united around three demands: dissolve the government, end the intimidation of activists and rewrite the constitution, which was written under military rule and has cemented the army’s power.

On Monday night, at a rally attended by thousands, a protest group went further, issuing a 10-point list for reform of the monarchy. Criticism of the monarchy should be allowed, the king’s budget should be cut, and the monarchy should not interfere with politics, the Thammasat University Pro-Democracy Group said.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

22 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Interesting  but IMO Miss Jeanna De Waal seems as though she's getting ready to perform 'Glenn Close- the Early Years' rather than the late Princess of Wales! 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 13

53 minutes ago, Zella said:

Slight update on the house. In the initial article, I didn't see a mention of where the house was. Apparently it's in Santa Barbara.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/entertainment/prince-harry-meghan-markle-santa-barbara-house/index.html

Hope they have better luck not having to deal with the drones there. I can't even imagine how unsettling that is to have to deal with that. 

Entertainment Tonight had the story this evening.  They said that, in addition to Oprah, the Sussex are neighbors with Ellen DeGeneres and Rob Lowe.  They also said that the house was purchased for them by 'The Bank of Dad', so, not surprisingly, Prince Charles paid for it.  I don't think either of them, Harry, especially, has any intention of living without substantial funding from his father.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They also said that the house was purchased for them by 'The Bank of Dad',

And The Telegraph reported that this is in fact categorically false and that Harry and Meghan in fact purchased their home themselves and have a mortgage. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Just now, ouinason said:

A lot of people's plans for this year have blown up in their faces, so if Charles had decided to buy his son, daughter-in-law and grandson a house after all of the crap that's happened lately then more power to him.  I wish my parents could do that for me.

I think it's also quite possible safety/security concerns due to the paparazzi at the rented house may have made as timely of an exit as possible desirable. 

• Like 6

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.