Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

 

 

 

New photo of the Queen. She's zooming again.

 

Looks kinda filtered...

The one with her in the turquoise dress is actually the new portrait, not a photo of HM. Sure, the artist softened some of her wrinkles, but I think  she looks pretty darned good in both the painting and the photos. I quite like both dresses; the yellow floral is cheery and she looks happy in the last photo of the Instagram post.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I have to wonder if Her Majesty actually might be relieved to be able to spend virtually all her time at Windsor with the Duke of Edinburgh instead of travelling abroad or even dashing all over the UK for ribbon cutting. Yes, it's almost certain that had this affliction not happened, the Queen would still be dashing all over the UK for said ribbon cutting out of 'duty' and only able to check into her home base of Windsor on occasion as long as HER health permitted. 

I think it's likely, though, that she misses interacting face-to-face but for rare occasions with her family and longtime friends not living in Windsor.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

It's a lovely portrait, looks like her mostly, but if it's me, could you try and NOT paint my foot edema into the portrait?  I mean, c'mon man!

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

It's a lovely portrait, looks like her mostly, but if it's me, could you try and NOT paint my foot edema into the portrait?  I mean, c'mon man!

I know.  I thought the whole purpose of a painted portrait was to make the subject look better than in reality. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I should process better. I totally thought the QE2 was playing with instagram filters.

S'aright.   I did the same thing when I saw it on Insta.   For some reason they went with the portrait for the lead picture with a caption of "The Queen uses Zoom  ..." instead of you know her zooming first and then the portrait later in the sequence.  Blame on the account manager.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This is a hybrid thing but I thought people here might enjoy it. Its a YouTube electronic dance music set by Lost Frequencies that starts quite unironically with a bit of a tour of the Royal Palace in Brussels, Belgium, complete with a performance of the Royal Band (or whatever they are called). If you don't like EDM you can turn it off once he gets to the roof of the palace.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Although time may prove me wrong,  if it is true that neither the Duke or Duchess of Sussex were involved in this book, then it's likely that it's almost totally reliant on 2nd, 3rd hand, etc. gossip- and one shouldn't look at it as though it was written on Stone Tablets on Mt. Sinai. I believe this should especially hold true re any 'conversations' they supposedly were part of/participated in. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Although time may prove me wrong,  if it is true that neither the Duke or Duchess of Sussex were involved in this book, then it's likely that it's almost totally reliant on 2nd, 3rd hand, etc. gossip- and one shouldn't look at it as though it was written on Stone Tablets on Mt. Sinai. I believe this should especially hold true re any 'conversations' they supposedly were part of/participated in. 

True, but the authors of the book are known to be sympathetic to Harry and Meghan and have written many flattering pieces about them in the past.  They very likely did get access to some of their close contacts and even might've gotten approval from the Sussex via their friends.  Diana cooperated with Andrew Morton who wrote an 'unauthorized' biography of her back in the early 90's.  He even interviewed her personally and there are tapes out there.  It would not be without precedent for Harry and Meghan to have approved their friends' cooperation and perhaps even provided information to the author themselves.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Harry and Meghan.

I'm curious.  How are they supporting themselves now?

Do they own or rent?  How do they generate income for their expensive lifestyle?

Are they depending on the generosity of friends and of course Charles?A

It's one thing to step aside of one's family and responsibilities but another thing to be self sufficient!

As noted by others, they are living in a home owned by Tyler Perry who is worth about $600 million, so doesn't  need the rent if they are paying it.  The house is said to be worth $18 million which would seem to be outside their budget should they decide to buy it from him.

Harry and Meghan are worth about $45 million combined, most of it Harry's inheritance from his mother.  

Prior to their departure, Harry and Meghan received money from Prince Charles who paid all of their expenses including housing.  And, before his marriage, that was also the case for Harry.  Other full time royals receive money from the Sovereign Grant via the Queen, but, because Charles is a billionaire in his own right, he and his sons and their spouses do not receive money from that source.

As far as their lifestyle, they have lived well beyond the interest accumulated on their personal fortunes.  Over $3 million was spent by them (Prince Charles) just decorating their various living quarters in England in 2019.  They take lavish vacations, have full time childcare and a lot of other stuff.  Although it sounds crazy, if they continued to spend as they had while full time royals, they would deplete their entire fortune in less than a decade.

Therefore, they are going to need to go out and make money, big money to support their lifestyle.  And, since his father has always paid his bills, even in adulthood; I expect Harry will continue to receive major support from the Prince of Wales, to the tune of millions a year.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

As noted by others, they are living in a home owned by Tyler Perry who is worth about $600 million, so doesn't  need the rent if they are paying it.  The house is said to be worth $18 million which would seem to be outside their budget should they decide to buy it from him.

Harry and Meghan are worth about $45 million combined, most of it Harry's inheritance from his mother.  

Prior to their departure, Harry and Meghan received money from Prince Charles who paid all of their expenses including housing.  And, before his marriage, that was also the case for Harry.  Other full time royals receive money from the Sovereign Grant via the Queen, but, because Charles is a billionaire in his own right, he and his sons and their spouses do not receive money from that source.

As far as their lifestyle, they have lived well beyond the interest accumulated on their personal fortunes.  Over $3 million was spent by them (Prince Charles) just decorating their various living quarters in England in 2019.  They take lavish vacations, have full time childcare and a lot of other stuff.  Although it sounds crazy, if they continued to spend as they had while full time royals, they would deplete their entire fortune in less than a decade.

Therefore, they are going to need to go out and make money, big money to support their lifestyle.  And, since his father has always paid his bills, even in adulthood; I expect Harry will continue to receive major support from the Prince of Wales, to the tune of millions a year.

Wow I never thought they had 45 million! 

How did Charles become so wealthy?

I guess with all that money everybody will  be just fine!

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Wow I never thought they had 45 million! 

How did Charles become so wealthy?

I guess with all that money everybody will  be just fine!

As heir to the throne, Charles owns the Duchy of Cornwall which is a huge piece of land worth about a billion itself.  It contains very profitable farms as well as some commercial properties and residences.  All of the income goes to the Prince of Wales.  The Duchy was actually set up more than 700 years ago as a means to provide income to the heir to the throne.  When Charles ascends, William will receive that income.

I actually met a British guy through a friend who worked on the Duchy as his summer job when he was in university.  He was essentially a farmhand.  Charles came around every now and then and had lunch with them.  He said he was perfectly pleasant, but, being the boss, it's not like they bonded or anything.  This was at the time of the Royal Wedding to Diana.  As an employee of the Duchy, he received a little piece of wedding cake in a tiny box with Charles and Diana's monogram and the date of the wedding.  He said his mom confiscated it immediately and he never saw it again.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 8
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Wow I never thought they had 45 million! 

How did Charles become so wealthy?

I guess with all that money everybody will  be just fine!

I believe Charles's money largely comes from the property he has through the Duchy of Cornwall. 

I will admit, one of my sticking points with the Sussexes when they first announced their break was them claiming they wanted to be independent but still staying on Charles's tit. If you want to be independent, be truly independent! I have no clue if that is true or not now, but they really need to make their own way, imo. 

@doodlebug and I cross-posted, and she's got a much better explanation of all that money. 🙂 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

As heir to the throne, Charles owns the Duchy of Cornwall which is a huge piece of land worth about a billion itself.  It contains very profitable farms as well as some commercial properties and residences.  All of the income goes to the Prince of Wales.  The Duchy was actually set up more than 700 years ago as a means to provide income to the heir to the throne.  When Charles ascends, William will receive that income.

And Harry gets nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

And Harry gets nothing?

He is not the heir to the throne, so he is not entitled to the big money.  He inherited millions from his mother and will also be rewarded by the Queen and his father when they die, so that he won't have to worry about everyday expenses.  However, he's always lived the lifestyle of the son of a billionaire and, to live within his means, generous though they are, will be a step down.

See also: Prince Andrew.  Obviously he is a pervert, but he also is the second born son and has depended on his mother to support him his entire adult life.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I am pretty sure Charles is still paying for security.   Which I am fine with.    They might not be working Royals but the Sussexes are still members of the Royal Family and thus are prime targets.   

The Duchy of Cornwall is reserved for the heir of the Monarch.    So that the heir would have independent income, Harry is not entitled to that.   However, his mother knowing that William gets all the stuff that goes with being King (the palaces, the jewels, etc.) that Harry would need more money.   She left the bulk of her estate to Harry.   It is likely that his father will do the same with his personal income.   The Queen will divide her personal estate between her children, with Anne, Andrew and Edward probably getting larger shares than Charles.   And we all know that Andrew will get the largest share of all, because he's her favorite for some unknown reason.

  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

He is not the heir to the throne, so he is not entitled to the big money.  He inherited millions from his mother and will also be rewarded by the Queen and his father when they die, so that he won't have to worry about everyday expenses.  However, he's always lived the lifestyle of the son of a billionaire and, to live within his means, generous though they are, will be a step down.

See also: Prince Andrew.  Obviously he is a pervert, but he also is the second born son and has depended on his mother to support him his entire adult life.

Also true of Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. [ETA: Well, not the pervert thing!!] He made some attempts at a (non-Royal, non-military) career earlier in life, which didn't turn out well. AFAIK he's again a working Royal, and has assumed many duties once performed by his father. I doubt he has accumulated much personal wealth but it's possible his savvy wife has managed their finances so that they do have a little stashed away. OTOH he has nothing like the PoW's properties and wealth.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I am pretty sure Charles is still paying for security.   Which I am fine with.    They might not be working Royals but the Sussexes are still members of the Royal Family and thus are prime targets.   

The Duchy of Cornwall is reserved for the heir of the Monarch.    So that the heir would have independent income, Harry is not entitled to that.   However, his mother knowing that William gets all the stuff that goes with being King (the palaces, the jewels, etc.) that Harry would need more money.   She left the bulk of her estate to Harry.   It is likely that his father will do the same with his personal income.   The Queen will divide her personal estate between her children, with Anne, Andrew and Edward probably getting larger shares than Charles.   And we all know that Andrew will get the largest share of all, because he's her favorite for some unknown reason.

I'm fine with him footing security costs, too, and I suspect Charles is not at all opposed to that. It's the living expenses that I roll my eyes at. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I am pretty sure Charles is still paying for security.   Which I am fine with.    They might not be working Royals but the Sussexes are still members of the Royal Family and thus are prime targets.   

The Duchy of Cornwall is reserved for the heir of the Monarch.    So that the heir would have independent income, Harry is not entitled to that.   However, his mother knowing that William gets all the stuff that goes with being King (the palaces, the jewels, etc.) that Harry would need more money.   She left the bulk of her estate to Harry.   It is likely that his father will do the same with his personal income.   The Queen will divide her personal estate between her children, with Anne, Andrew and Edward probably getting larger shares than Charles.   And we all know that Andrew will get the largest share of all, because he's her favorite for some unknown reason.

I also wanted to jump in here and add.  When Charles becomes king, he will also become the Duke of Lancaster and entitled to that fortune.  He can continue to fund Harry and Meghan with the money.  

I do wonder how much the Queen has as her own personal fortune to divide up to her children and grandchildren.  How much of it is liquid and could be doled out? Also how much of it would she want broken up and given to her heirs.  Would Elizabeth actually consider leaving Balmoral to Andrew, or Sandringham to Edward?  Or will she leave it all to Charles like her grandfather did?  The family precedent is to give it all to the heir.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Genuine question but how does one know these things to be factual? It is my understanding the costs of renovations to Frogmore, a big sticking point of contention, was grossly exaggerated by the tabloid press to once again push their narrative. Second, it has been confirmed that renovations were already scheduled on the building before Harry and Meghan were granted it. 

Lavish vacations? Harry and Meghan, like many of the rest of the world, seem to be stuck mostly in one place for much of this year since there's a global pandemic occurring. We also don't know what full time staff these people have or don't have. Just because a tabloid says it, doesn't make it fact. 

I think how non-working celebrities pay for their expensive lifestyles is often a point of curiosity for us commonfolk. It's not limited to Harry and Meghan, nor even Royals. Though I will say as an American the idea of having billionaires solely through birthright forever and ever Amen makes me ill.

There is no question that Harry and Meghan live an expensive lifestyle including travel and staff, all of which is paid for somehow. It wasn't free to move to Canada then LA, nor for them and then Harry to fly home. And somebody's cleaning those mansions - not likely the two of them. So I think there is similar curiosity about how all of it is paid for as it is for say retired actors or singers. Doesn't always speak to ill intent from the curious.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

True, but the authors of the book are known to be sympathetic to Harry and Meghan and have written many flattering pieces about them in the past.  They very likely did get access to some of their close contacts and even might've gotten approval from the Sussex via their friends. 

Whatever the truth is, I'm sure it's somewhere in between "Harry and Meghan are innocent lambs in all of this," and "Harry and Meghan are the devil incarnate." They are human. Kate and Will are human. Humans are very rarely all bad or all good. I'm sure if we got the story from Charles, or the Queen, or Kate and Will, it would be a different story.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Although time may prove me wrong,  if it is true that neither the Duke or Duchess of Sussex were involved in this book, then it's likely that it's almost totally reliant on 2nd, 3rd hand, etc. gossip- and one shouldn't look at it as though it was written on Stone Tablets on Mt. Sinai. I believe this should especially hold true re any 'conversations' they supposedly were part of/participated in. 

Diana wasn't directly interviewed by Andrew Morton for Diana: Her True Story, and in her lifetime, it was only confirmed that friends spoke to him, but he was accused of making things up. After her death, it was revealed that a friend of hers acted as a go-between and Morton ended up with hours of tapes with Diana in her own voice, providing the main source of the book.

 

Finding Freedom contains the tidbit that Harry said, "I love you," first, three months into the relationship (Meghan immediately said it back, according to the book). The source is a "friend", which makes sense, as friends would be the most likely to know that sort of thing. It could be a soon-to-be former friend with loose lips...or a friend tacitly authorized by Harry and Meghan to speak with the authors. Sure, it could be completely made up sources or random people claiming to be friends, which wouldn't say much for the book's credibility (though it doesn't take much to get published these days). As royal secrets go, it's rather benign, but other H&M revelations from the book will be somewhat more controversial. Maybe their friends only talked about sweet but boring things about Harry/Meghan with Omid, and there are other sources for the book's dishier details. Maybe. However, if history is repeating itself and Harry has taken a page out of his mother's book, would it really be that surprising?

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Diana wasn't directly interviewed by Andrew Morton for Diana: Her True Story, and in her lifetime, it was only confirmed that friends spoke to him, but he was accused of making things up.. After her death, it was revealed that a friend of hers acted as a go-between and Morton ended up with hours of tapes with Diana in her own voice.

 

Finding Freedom contains the tidbit that Harry said, "I love you," first, three months into the relationship (Meghan immediately said it back, according to the book). The source is a "friend", which makes sense, as friends would be the most likely to know that sort of thing. It could be a soon-to-be former friend with loose lips...or a friend tacitly authorized by Harry and Meghan to speak with the authors. Sure, it could be completely made up sources or random claiming to be friends, which wouldn't say much for the book's credibility, but it doesn't take much to get published these days. As royal secrets go, it's rather benign, but other H&M revelations from the book will be somewhat more controversial. Maybe their friends only talked about sweet but boring things about Harry/Meghan with Omid, and there are other sources for the book's dishier details. Maybe. However, if history is repeating itself and Harry has taken a page out of his mother's book, would it really be that surprising?

Honestly, no.  I can totally see Harry wanting to get his side of the story out there just like his mother.  I do believe Harry has wanted out of the Firm for years and actively sought a partner who would support him in this.  I also believe he truly loves Meghan and the feeling is mutual.  Everything they have done since the engagement announcement strikes me as a couple who is united.  I also think Harry is furious and has been furious with both his family and the press for ignoring the boil on the butt of humanity that is Andrew while taking potshot after potshot at Meghan.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Over $3 million was spent by them (Prince Charles) just decorating their various living quarters in England in 2019.

The $3 million was spent by the Queen’s trust to renovate Frogmore. Part of that was repairing a building that had been poorly maintained and part of it was to covert it into a residence. No one knows how much was spent decorating or who paid for what because none of the royals publish their personal finances. 
 

A lot has been made about Harry and Meghan’s statement on the website that most of their expenses are paid for my Charles but most overlooked the fact that they were talking about official expenses. That seems to be system set-up to minimize how much money Charles and his children take from the Queen’s trust. That has really bit them in the ass because it’s being used to make them look like entitled children when it covers the work they were doing for the Crown. 
 

Now I’m not saying that they aren’t entitled or that Charles doesn’t support them. I really don’t know or care. I just find it frustrating that the narrative has been spun to minimize anything that makes them look reasonable. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, talktoomuch said:

There is no question that Harry and Meghan live an expensive lifestyle including travel and staff, all of which is paid for somehow. It wasn't free to move to Canada then LA, nor for them and then Harry to fly home. And somebody's cleaning those mansions - not likely the two of them. So I think there is similar curiosity about how all of it is paid for as it is for say retired actors or singers. Doesn't always speak to ill intent from the curious.

YMMV, then I guess I'm the weird one because frankly, I have never spent my time caring how grown ass people are going to financially take care of themselves unless it somehow personally affects me. So unless money is coming out of my pocket in some way, I don't care.

And also it's probably because I'm well aware that plenty of people make a very good living without it being visible to others. Case in point, you mentioned retired singers. Well if they are songwriters, royalty checks can pay an awful lot. Like Mariah Carey for example, never needs to sing a single note again because just that Christmas album of hers, will keep her paid for a long damn time. 

And yes, Harry and Meghan live a different lifestyle than the average middle class person but not all expensive lifestyles are the same. Someone can live an expensive life without wasting money or being flashy and over the top - there's a difference. And that was really my point. That there seem to be some bold assumptions being made about those two and their lives. 

Similar to all the "Harry is lost and doesn't know what to do in LA and has no job". Suddenly it's like being in LA means a person is only relegated to working in LA, despite one thing this pandemic has proven is how small the world is thanks to the Internet. So all the "what will Harry do" - well he's been doing it. That is, the same charities he was working on while in England.

Hell, the official Invictus Games social media announced the date for next year's games today. We've seen videos of him regarding his work with them, Endeavor, etc. People would just rather insist when these things happen that his eyes look dead and he's sending secret signals to save him from his wife who has kidnapped him. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

My specific qualm is with claiming to be independent and still living on other people's dime. Live on somebody else's money all you want, but don't claim you're independent. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also think Harry is furious and has been furious with both his family and the press for ignoring the boil on the butt of humanity that is Andrew

I'm curious, because I see this assertion made a lot (by a lot of people, not just @Ohiopirate02...)

Did Harry or Meghan make a statement about Andrew?  Or have "inside sources" said they have a particular issue with him?  I'm just wondering what this opinion stems from, that the BRF's silence about Andrew was the final straw for Harry.

I mean, I assume the entire BRF (besides the his daughters and the Queen*) finds his behavior disgusting and wishes he - and Fergie - would die in a fire. But unless I'm mistaken, no one in Charles's family has made any official statements one way or the other.  (But I don't follow them that closely, so maybe I missed something?)

*I personally think even his daughters and the Queen know how loathsome he is deep down, and just can't admit it to themselves.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Zella said:

My specific qualm is with claiming to be independent and still living on other people's dime. Live on somebody else's money all you want, but don't claim you're independent. 

It's a small but very important distinction - Harry and Meghan's initial statement was regarding their offer to work part-time as they worked "towards being financially independent" because as working Royals, they are all not allowed to make their own income (at least that's what they publicly claim but we all know there are a lot of coins in off-shore accounts that's not being fully accounted for). So their initial proposal was that they would work part-time on behalf of the Crown, where the expenses that were covered, like security, would still continue, as they worked towards a path of complete independence. 

That offer as we all know, was rejected and instead they were essentially cut off entirely as working royals. And so where we're at currently is a place where in fact the public does NOT know their financial status and arrangements, with a lot of assumptions being made. Such as somebody else is paying for the home they're staying at. Again, with no actual proof of this.

I would also like to point out that in the split, along with their HRH titles not being allowed, they apparently couldn't use the word Royal at all because the firm had to protect the "royal brand" after all and they couldn't risk it being used on any old tacky venture because of course that's certainly what some expect of the brown woman.

And yet social media sleuths quickly pulled up the receipts of Anne's son using his "royal" connection to peddle milk in Asia, I see Buckingham palace is now hawking booze, racist Princess Kent is apparently a "romance author" and refers to herself as HRH on her book covers. But certainly, can't have Harry and Meghan "tarnish the royal brand" with their tacky philanthropic ventures.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 13
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm curious, because I see this assertion made a lot (by a lot of people, not just @Ohiopirate02...)

Did Harry or Meghan make a statement about Andrew?  Or have "inside sources" said they have a particular issue with him?  I'm just wondering what this opinion stems from, that the BRF's silence about Andrew was the final straw for Harry.

I mean, I assume the entire BRF (besides the his daughters and the Queen*) finds his behavior disgusting and wishes he - and Fergie - would die in a fire. But unless I'm mistaken, no one in Charles's family has made any official statements one way or the other.  (But I don't follow them that closely, so maybe I missed something?)

*I personally think even his daughters and the Queen know how loathsome he is deep down, and just can't admit it to themselves.

This being the BRF, no one has publically said on record anything about Andrew and they never will.  All you hear are rumors about Charles hating Andrew and Charles's plans for Andrew once he is king, and that Andrew is the Queen's favorite.  There are also rumors that each family has their staff sell salacious stories to the press about another family member when they want a story about themselves quashed.  

The only person who knows what the final straw was for Harry is Harry.  But, how long can you stay involved in a family where grandma wants you all to conveniently forget about Uncle Andrew and his long history of scandals while also ignoring the latest tabloid hit piece about your wife.  And then being forced to give the Daily Mail the inside scoop of your child's latest baby picture because it is their turn in the rotation, even though they just published a story about how mean Meghan was to Kate yesterday.  

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm curious, because I see this assertion made a lot (by a lot of people, not just @Ohiopirate02...)

Did Harry or Meghan make a statement about Andrew?  Or have "inside sources" said they have a particular issue with him?  I'm just wondering what this opinion stems from, that the BRF's silence about Andrew was the final straw for Harry.

I mean, I assume the entire BRF (besides the his daughters and the Queen*) finds his behavior disgusting and wishes he - and Fergie - would die in a fire. But unless I'm mistaken, no one in Charles's family has made any official statements one way or the other.  (But I don't follow them that closely, so maybe I missed something?)

*I personally think even his daughters and the Queen know how loathsome he is deep down, and just can't admit it to themselves.

I wonder if part of Harry and Meghan's frustrations is the attacks that Meghan has received from the British tabloid media about any sort of mini-transgression they perceive Meghan to have committed and yet, Prince Andrew has for the most part been spared or at least not been scrutinized as much.  If I were in their shoes that would absolutely piss me off.

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm curious, because I see this assertion made a lot (by a lot of people, not just @Ohiopirate02...)

Did Harry or Meghan make a statement about Andrew?  Or have "inside sources" said they have a particular issue with him?  I'm just wondering what this opinion stems from, that the BRF's silence about Andrew was the final straw for Harry.

I mean, I assume the entire BRF (besides the his daughters and the Queen*) finds his behavior disgusting and wishes he - and Fergie - would die in a fire. But unless I'm mistaken, no one in Charles's family has made any official statements one way or the other.  (But I don't follow them that closely, so maybe I missed something?)

*I personally think even his daughters and the Queen know how loathsome he is deep down, and just can't admit it to themselves.

I think Harry and Meghan fans very strongly feel that way. Finding Freedom will likely air out all their grievances with the family and the Firm, and it will be interesting to see if the book hints at anything like that. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for all the replies.  I definitely agree that Harry likely is, and should be, disgusted with how the Andrew situation has been handled.  I was curious if there was any proof it was a factor, or if that is speculation.  Sounds like it's the latter, at this point.

The new book isn't authorized, and supposedly no info came directly from Harry and Meghan, so I suppose we'll never know.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Andrew is totally gross and nothing going on with H&M or W&K or Chaz and Camz makes Andrew less gross. However, Andrew is not out there doing new stuff, putting out press releases and holding summits. Other than the fact that he’s continuing to dodge questions, and getting sued over shady financial deals, he’s not making news. Not one thing decreases his grossness, but without new information, I can only comment on how gross he is so many times before I get bored.

It’s H&M who are putting out stuff to discuss and speculating about their income sources is FUN. These people aren’t middle class. They are way, way upper class. I am all into speculating how the super rich live. I miss the days when Fergie was out there hawking juicers and I could mock her. *sigh* Trashy Fergie hustling for bucks was entertainment gold. 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Re BRF family assets:  I found this on another board concerning the Crown Duchy (in the age of Covid) .  Has a very UK Guardian feel to it.  Very long and complicated explanation.

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2020/06/29/royal-money-sovereign-wealth-fund-queen-and-charles/content.html

From article:

The status of the Duchy is a matter of intense debate. On the one hand, it is accepted by the government as a “crown body”, allowing it to avoid paying corporation or capital gains tax as well as a host of other anachronistic perks that would never be available to a private company.

On the other hand, the Duchy insists it is a “private estate”, a status that allows it to avoid the scrutiny that would be applied to a public body. In the words of one academic, it tries to have its cake and eat it.

“The Duchy of Cornwall has been assiduous in avoiding public scrutiny,” John Kirkhope, the academic, said. “It has changed its status constantly, from being a Department of State and the government of Cornwall to being a ‘mere’ ‘private estate’ which has maintained its secrets for 700 years.”

..........

A former senior civil servant agreed: “It was a trick,” they said. “A political piece of presentation to try and tell the British public that the royal family didn’t cost the nation anything. Osborne, in complicity with the palace, was trying to pull a fast one.” (Osborne declined to comment).

 

 

Quote

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Zella said:

My specific qualm is with claiming to be independent and still living on other people's dime. Live on somebody else's money all you want, but don't claim you're independent. 

I agree, but considering he inherited tens of millions from his mommy, Harry will never truly be independent, unless he gives it all away and starts from scratch, which would be stupid. IDK why people think they are getting money from elsewhere. They are filthy stinking rich, unless he's a terrible businessman, or hired a terrible businessman to run his accounts. That inheritance, well invested, is more than enough to live a very lavish lifestyle for a very long time. And if it were to run out, they'll just sell their story to whoever and be given millions more. I don't think they need to be living off the royal money. That said, I also don't think his father is going to just completely cut him off financially. He's still the Prince's son. He's still the Queen's grandson. They didn't disown him so if they want to give him money, it's theirs to give. The only real issue would be if they are getting money from the taxpayers of the UK directly, which does not seem to be the case. 

If Charles, say, gets 1 million a year (just making up a simple number) and he chooses to give a portion of that to his son, that's his deal. It's different than if Charles got 1 million a year and then made sure his son got half a million on top of that which is not what it sounds like is happening. Harry doesn't get a "salary" from the British people any more because he's no longer working for them but he can still get money from daddy because they are still family. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of Fergie. Where does she fit into all of this!  I know she lives with Andrew even though they are divorced. Does she have any money or does she depend on Andrew for her bread and butter!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jeanne222 said:

Speaking of Fergie. Where does she fit into all of this!  I know she lives with Andrew even though they are divorced. Does she have any money or does she depend on Andrew for her bread and butter!

Wait I didn't catch they still lived together! What's the reasoning they've given (if any) for that?

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Zella said:

Wait I didn't catch they still lived together! What's the reasoning they've given (if any) for that?

I believe they live in separate apartments within the same royal residence in London or in separate suites in the same house.  I dont think any official reason was given.  It's not like Fergie can afford to live like the divorced wife of the Duke of York on her own.  I can see where it is in the best interest of the Firm to give her a place to stay so she doesn't cause too much trouble. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

47 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Speaking of Fergie. Where does she fit into all of this!  I know she lives with Andrew even though they are divorced. Does she have any money or does she depend on Andrew for her bread and butter!

Fergie and Andrew are still entangled financially. 

https://www.instyle.com/news/prince-andrew-sarah-ferguson-swiss-chalet-lawsuit

And being sued for it. Andrew has the rep of being involved in shady financial deals and defaulting on payments. Fergie is rumored to continue to suck up to him because she is in no way self-supporting.

It’s been suggested that when Prince Phil finally rolls over and dies, Andrew and Fergie will remarry. 

That engagement would never have passed today’s level of internet scrutiny. Fergie was ripped to shreds by the press, but it would have been much worse with online information.

And let’s never forget the toe-sucking!

https://lisawallerrogers.com/2010/05/29/sarah-ferguson-fergies-toe-sucking-scandal/

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I agree, but considering he inherited tens of millions from his mommy, Harry will never truly be independent, unless he gives it all away and starts from scratch, which would be stupid.

I don't understand how inherited money automatically means he couldn't be independent.  That's his money, in the sense that he's in control of it.  He can never claim to be "self made," but that's different from being "independent."  If all he was living off of was his inheritance, he would be independent of the monarchy because the institution would no longer be funding him.

It's the money he gets from the Duchy of Cornwall that makes him a dependent of the monarchy/taxpayer money.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Steph J said:

I don't understand how inherited money automatically means he couldn't be independent.  That's his money, in the sense that he's in control of it.  He can never claim to be "self made," but that's different from being "independent."  If all he was living off of was his inheritance, he would be independent of the monarchy because the institution would no longer be funding him.

It's the money he gets from the Duchy of Cornwall that makes him a dependent of the monarchy/taxpayer money.

I agree. Harry, other than his totally gross JP Morgan speaking gig, hasn't done anything that would earn him a hefty amount of money. The military certainly doesn't pay well. He's never had to worry about money. It's always just been there. And he doesn't inherit the way William will. I'm not saying it's fair, but it's not some new thing. The heir gets the duchy of Cornwall, the monarch gets the duchy of Lancaster. The spare gets...whatever the monarch and the heir decide to give him. That's how it will be for George, Charlotte and Louis. That's how it was for QE2 and Margaret.

Charles and QE2 could decide to disinherit him. I think it would be tacky, but they both have the right to decide where there personal assets go. And if that means the QE2 decides to give all her jewels to BlackberryJam and cut out all of her daughters-in-law, granddaughters, granddaughters-in-law and greatgranddaughters, so be it. Jam gets those jewels. That's just how it goes.

That leaves Harry without a financial safety net. While his personal fortune, and let's call it $50 million, seems large, it's unlikely to last long if he has to begin footing the bill for his own housing and security. Just buying a house that provides him the privacy he wants, if he decides to stay in LA, is going to cost him 10-15 million plus the property taxes and insurance. While personally, I think Chaz should foot the bill for at least some of his security, if he doesn't, that will totally cut into Harry's investment income as well. Throw in a nanny, a personal assistant or two, vehicles and any type of travel and he's going to exceed the income on his investments. I'm also curious about his taxes. Will he end up paying any US taxes at all? 

On top of that, starting a foundation/non-profit costs money. I assume they are lining up investors, but they still have a ways to go with defining their projects. 

A million bucks doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think it does because these people are not living a middle class or even upper middle class lifestyle. They are living the lifestyle of the super rich. 

The money Harry got from the British taxpayers was a paltry sum and I'm sure he'll be fine without it. It's the cash from Daddy Chazbucks that matters.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Fergie and Andrew are still entangled financially. 

https://www.instyle.com/news/prince-andrew-sarah-ferguson-swiss-chalet-lawsuit

And being sued for it. Andrew has the rep of being involved in shady financial deals and defaulting on payments. Fergie is rumored to continue to suck up to him because she is in no way self-supporting.

It’s been suggested that when Prince Phil finally rolls over and dies, Andrew and Fergie will remarry. 

That engagement would never have passed today’s level of internet scrutiny. Fergie was ripped to shreds by the press, but it would have been much worse with online information.

And let’s never forget the toe-sucking!

https://lisawallerrogers.com/2010/05/29/sarah-ferguson-fergies-toe-sucking-scandal/

 

I read somewhere that Fergie’s terrible with money.  She spends and spends and spends and is in no way fiscally responsible.  She has made money from various ventures and it has all gone out the window.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Diana's estate was estimated at $31 million and the will specified that her sons would inherit on their 25th birthday. The executors (her mother and sister) had that amended in court, to their 30th birthday. All sources claim that each eventually received $16 million when they turned 30. (I do not know where that figure originated but it is commonly cited). William received her engagement ring, Harry received her wedding gown. She also left bequests to her butler and 17 godchildren. 

Forbes is considered a reliable source of worldwide business and financial information. From an article estimating that the Sussexes will require a yearly income of $3 million: 

A trust that consists of 131,000 acres of real estate and more than $450 million in commercial assets within the United Kingdom, the Duchy of Cornwall was established in 1337 to support the direct heir to the throne.

That estate paid a combined $6.5 million (or £5.1 million) to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William and Kate Middleton) and to Prince Harry and Markle in the fiscal year ending March 2019, according to the latest financial report. The funding for the princes and their families didn’t change much from 2018 to 2019, although both reports were prior to the birth of the Sussex couple’s son, Archie. Let’s assume the brothers split that income from the Duchy (though William and Kate, with three children, are likely taking a bit more). 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieberg/2020/01/09/could-harry-and-meghan-make-the-3-million-plus-needed-to-be-financially-independent/#51dca75cd287

 

The financial report cited above. Click on the tabs for various categories of information: 

Annual Review 2018-2019
Income Expenditure and Staff

This summary describes how the official and private activities of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall are financed. The majority of staff and official and charitable activities, including the official offices of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex activity, are paid for from His Royal Highness’s private income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/annual-review/2018-2019/income-expenditure-and-staff

Edited by suomi
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, suomi said:

William received her engagement ring, Harry received her wedding gown.

I thought it was said that they got to choose what they wanted and that Harry picked the engagement ring, but then gave it to William when he wanted to propose to Kate.  Not true?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have the time or energy to go far down the rabbit hole of the BRF's finances for myself, so I'm following this discussion with interest.

One issue that was involved in Edward VIII's abdication: money. I found a quick tabloid take on how the BRF bought him out; not sure how it really relates to H&M but their leave-taking was a good opportunity for a clickbait story.

The lovesick Edward VIII wasn't too distracted to take his family for all the ££££££ he could grab before he handed over the Crown. I remember reading about the financial settlement(s) in a book, it may have been Princes at War (good one, recommended). Edward lied and grossly minimized the value of his personal wealth when negotiating with his family over his allowance - detailed in the article I linked to.

I remember reading about this, which the article touches on:

King George VI had to buy out his brother’s interest in the Balmoral and Sandringham estates, which were Edward’s personal property and not the Sovereign’s possessions. 

I believe that cost George VI a significant amount, not just a little blip in his finances. His widow carried on about it for the rest of her long life, as if they'd been impoverished by it, although that wasn't the case.

That's made me idly wonder if Balmoral and Sandringham are now the Queen's personal property, or if some other arrangement has been made. Obviously the Abdication has resonated with HM her whole life in many ways, and I wonder if it's affected how she's managed her personal assets. She must have been aware that keeping Balmoral and Sandringham cost her father heavily if her mother kept going on and on about it for nearly 70 years.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size