Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if Harry missed being at his cousin's wedding.  Actually I wonder a lot about Harry.  Last couple of pictures I saw of him and Megyn he was following along behind and I just felt a sadness for him.  A fish out of water so to speak.

He has made such a sacrifice.  I surely hope it's all worth it.  I have always loved the playful, handsome Harry.  Always smiling and always happy.  That's gone now.  Sigh.

I don't think any of her cousin's were at her wedding.   William and Kate were most likely not there.   Due to Covid it was a very limited guest list.   

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Llywela said:

It was parents and siblings only because that's how weddings pretty much have to be currently, in the UK - I have two cousins getting married this week, both weddings postponed from earlier in lockdown, and I can't attend either for exactly that reason. It isn't because they don't want their cousins there and it isn't because I don't want to be there for their special day. It is because there are currently extremely tight Covid-19 restrictions in place, and that takes precedence.

By locking down the attendees so tightly, Beatrice was able to make it safe for her extremely elderly grandparents to be present, which is probably what mattered most to her - and what her cousins would also have wanted for her, if I had to guess. They can have a bigger celebration for the entire family later, when it is safe to do so. That's what my cousins are planning.

I mean, I was being sarcastic. I realize all the covid stuff is why no one was at the wedding. It seemed like a very sweet, low-cost affair with the vintage dress and the English garden setting.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

I mean, I was being sarcastic. I realize all the covid stuff is why no one was at the wedding. It seemed like a very sweet, low-cost affair with the vintage dress and the English garden setting.

I agree.  It was more my style than the big blowouts as well.  My wedding (first and only) had 11 close family for the ceremony/dinner, followed by a cocktail/h'ordervres party for a smallish group.  Wore a tea-length dress right off the rack, lol.  Just as married, 29 yrs. later.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

It would be interesting to speculate whether any royals who didn't attend Princess Beatrice's wedding were rather relieved to have the perfect excuse of our current affliction as a means to do so rather than  having to deal with the Yorks (which would have been a lose-lose scenario no matter how one slices it). 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It would be interesting to speculate whether any royals who didn't attend Princess Beatrice's wedding were rather relieved to have the perfect excuse of our current affliction as a means to do so rather than  having to deal with the Yorks (which would have been a lose-lose scenario no matter how one slices it). 

I can see her cousins wanting to be there for Beatrice but also being relieved they didn't have the issue of interacting with or potentially being inadvertantly photographed with her dad right now. 

Tom and Lorenzo had a pretty good bit about that in their blog post about the wedding and their notes on how the dress so symbolically tied her to her grandma (FWIW they also agree with a lot of the posters here on the sleeve looking a bit weird): "Dad’s an internationally famous scandal machine at the moment. Girlfriend did the smart thing. Hitch your wagon to Granny Betty and hold on."

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if Harry missed being at his cousin's wedding.  Actually I wonder a lot about Harry.  Last couple of pictures I saw of him and Megyn he was following along behind and I just felt a sadness for him.  A fish out of water so to speak.

He has made such a sacrifice.  I surely hope it's all worth it.  I have always loved the playful, handsome Harry.  Always smiling and always happy.  That's gone now.  Sigh.

I think he’s trying to figure out a direction to go.  He has many choices to make and that can be scary.  For what it’s worth I think he’s doing the right thing by trying to figure out how to live his life now on his own terms.  I don’t know why people put the blame on Meghan for Harry’s distance from his family.  He has a family of his own, he is building that life with them.  Harry was very hurt by the loss of his mother and I think it would feel awkward to have a relationship with his stepmother because she was having an affair with his father that was splashed all over the tabloids.  As far as I have seen he loves his mother in law, has a fantastic relationship with her and for someone who has not had a mom or welcoming mother figure in a long time it can really be a treasured relationship.  With that and Harry’s having real issues with the tabloid press after the death of his mother and between the gossip rags making his wife’s life hell and the firm leaving them to the wolves and closing ranks to protect Andrew I think he needs time and distance to make serious life choices.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone explain Travalyst to me?  How is it a charity?   Aren’t they in partnership with companies like Expedia or etc, to sell trips to people wanting to travel “green”? 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder if Harry missed being at his cousin's wedding.  Actually I wonder a lot about Harry.  Last couple of pictures I saw of him and Megyn he was following along behind and I just felt a sadness for him.  A fish out of water so to speak.

He has made such a sacrifice.  I surely hope it's all worth it.  I have always loved the playful, handsome Harry.  Always smiling and always happy.  That's gone now.  Sigh.

No bigger than the sacrifice she made for the first two years of their marriage. He'll survive.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

Can someone explain Travalyst to me?  How is it a charity?   Aren’t they in partnership with companies like Expedia or etc, to sell trips to people wanting to travel “green”? 

I believe it’s supposed to operate as a grading system for the big travel companies. Something along the lines of Charity Navigator for travel so consumers can make more informed decisions. I imagine it will also be used to raise money for charities. 
 

Quote

 

Edited by Dani

Share this post


Link to post

No one quite knows what Travalyst is, how it’s going to work, how it’s going to be funded, what it’s going to do. It’s a vague idea turned on its head by the pandemic. Harry and Co are still figuring it out. So...there just aren’t any answers about it. Give them time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Re Travalyst: I'm not sure that having something somewhat dependent on folks' travel plans/desires is the most reliable way for the Sussexes to go while the worldwide pandemic is still unfolding! IMO,  it would be more pragmatic and a better bet if they put their energies into something NOT related to travel at least until after our current affliction has finally played out.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Happy Birthday Prince George.   How on earth did he get to be 7 already????   Nice to see him smiling.   he always looks so serious.   

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Happy Birthday Prince George.   How on earth did he get to be 7 already????   Nice to see him smiling.   he always looks so serious.   

Happy Birthday to George. The photos are sweet. I wonder how they are celebrating today. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Camz and Phils did an event today.

 

Now if there is one royal out there getting transfusions of virgin blood to remain alive, it's Phils. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

Those are nice big photos of George. I like those. Scroll him down to where you can't see any of his face below the eyes. Look at just his eyes. Not the shape or the color but the spirit or personality, the expression. Who do you see, which family member comes to mind? First impression.

I see two different ones. Polo, a male and camo, a female. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

He definitely got a fresh infusion of something.

I mean, he's still the crypt-keeper, but he was looking on death's door for a while. Maybe this was after his afternoon weed.

Mette Marit and Ingrid Alexandra...with their fantastic skin.

 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I know this has been pointed out elsewhere, but the birthday photos of George definitely confirms his Middleton heritage - he looks remarkably like his uncle James. I don't see any resemblance to the Windsors at all (unlike Charlotte). Wot do you all think?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I know this has been pointed out elsewhere, but the birthday photos of George definitely confirms his Middleton heritage - he looks remarkably like his uncle James. I don't see any resemblance to the Windsors at all (unlike Charlotte). Wot do you all think?

Those Windsor genes will turn up.  His dad looked so much like his mother and then he slowly started looking like a Windsor.  Harry looks like his grandfather when he was a young man those genes are strong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ms.Moon said:

Those Windsor genes will turn up.  His dad looked so much like his mother and then he slowly started looking like a Windsor.  Harry looks like his grandfather when he was a young man those genes are strong.

Generations of inbreeding will do that.

Although I think that William still looks an awful lot like Diana (particularly when he makes certain facial expressions), it's just harder to see it now that he's bald.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Minneapple said:

George is going to need some serious braces.

That's what I thought when I saw those pictures!  Didn't both William and Kate wear braces as kids?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Camz and Phils did an event today.

 

Now if there is one royal out there getting transfusions of virgin blood to remain alive, it's Phils. 

Camilla is fully part of the Family Firm.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Considering how much Phil is rumored to hate Fergie that Camz had an in by just... not being Fergie.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Considering how much Phil is rumored to hate Fergie that Camz had an in by just... not being Fergie.

I could be wrong but  I think one reason why the Duke of Edinburgh appears to prefer the Duchess of Cornwall to his ex-DIL the Duchess of York is that the former seems to have encouraged the Prince of Wales to be the best man he could be ( especially since their marriage) while the latter appears to have enabled if not approved his middle son's worst indulgences and flaws- even decades after their legal split!  Then,too, the former seems to have class while the latter appears to be solely crass. 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I could be wrong but  I think one reason why the Duke of Edinburgh appears to prefer the Duchess of Cornwall to his ex-DIL the Duchess of York is that the former seems to have encouraged the Prince of Wales to be the best man he could be ( especially since their marriage) while the latter appears to have enabled if not approved his middle son's worst indulgences and flaws- even decades after their legal split!  Then,too, the former seems to have class while the latter appears to be solely crass. 

 

I’m sure that’s possible, but Phils is a disgusting, racist, elitist snob, so there’s that. Being on his hate list isn’t a definition of character. I’m no Fergie fan, but well, I doubt that Phils was much into making sure his children were their best selves. He was pretty cruel to young Charles.

And just for some “fun” here are some of his greatest hits!

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/08/priceless-racism-duke-edinburgh-170810082226234.html

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

From what I have read of Philip, I'd concur that I don't think he gives a shit about his children being their better selves. I'd say his preference for Camilla at this stage is probably more in that she has been a surprisingly good-value working royal. As far as I know, there have been no scandals connected to her since she married Charles (which is pretty impressive considering how absolutely scandal-ridden the earlier part of their relationship was--hello, Tampongate), and she seems to handle the public duties well. In that sense, she actually is more functional than Philip was as a working royal, with his history of, well, being Philip. I don't judge anyone in the royal family for not being Fergie fans, though. LOLOL

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Zella said:

From what I have read of Philip, I'd concur that I don't think he gives a shit about his children being their better selves. I'd say his preference for Camilla at this stage is probably more in that she has been a surprisingly good-value working royal. As far as I know, there have been no scandals connected to her since she married Charles (which is pretty impressive considering how absolutely scandal-ridden the earlier part of their relationship was--hello, Tampongate), and she seems to handle the public duties well. In that sense, she actually is more functional than Philip was as a working royal, with his history of, well, being Philip. I don't judge anyone in the royal family for not being Fergie fans, though. LOLOL

What is Tampongate? lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

What is Tampongate? lol

I had a damnable time finding anything now because all the reporting is about The Crown apparently not going there. (I say this as someone who absolutely loves Josh O'Connor, but damn you, Josh O'Connor for not wanting to make your parents uncomfortable while they watch The Crown!)

But here's the full transcript that was leaked of a phone call between Camilla and Charles, back when he was still married to Diana:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-camillagate-tapes-exposed-secret-10958350

And for a little more context on how this was received in 1993:

Quote

 

The transcript had been published by national newspapers in January 1993, just over a month after the Prince and Princess formally separated and during a period when Diana was attempting to establish herself as a national figure in her own right.

Commenting on the reaction to Charles, following the publication of the tape's transcript, the former personal protection officer said in the book: “The backlash was savage. Establishment figures normally loyal to future King and country were appalled, and some questioned the Prince's suitability to rule.”

 

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/princess-diana-reaction-charles-camillagate-tapes-leak-tampon-bodyguard-ken-wharfe-book-memoirs-a7886311.html

I think it usually got condensed and distorted into the punchline of "Prince Charles wants to be reincarnated as a tampon!" 

Someone else who can probably jump in with more detail. I was 3 when this happened. 😛 But I remember coming across an anecdote sometime as a tween, and for the longest time, that was my main association with both Charles and Camilla. Tampons! 

 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Prince Harry and Meghan sue unnamed paparazzi for invasion of privacy in California

Quote

The couple took action after the paparazzi crossed a “red line” by attempting to sell a photo that the photographers said was taken at a store in Malibu of 14-month-old Archie, according to the lawsuit filed in the Los Angeles County Superior Court. The photos were clearly from the couple’s backyard, as Archie hadn’t been out in months, Harry and Meghan’s lawsuit stated.

“The unscrupulous people shopping these photographs have not innocently mislabeled the photographs as having been taken in a public place,” the lawsuit said. “They have done so intentionally, because they know that unsolicited photographs of a young child in the privacy of his own home are very much unlawful.”

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, Zella said:

I had a damnable time finding anything now because all the reporting is about The Crown apparently not going there. (I say this as someone who absolutely loves Josh O'Connor, but damn you, Josh O'Connor for not wanting to make your parents uncomfortable while they watch The Crown!)

But here's the full transcript that was leaked of a phone call between Camilla and Charles, back when he was still married to Diana:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-camillagate-tapes-exposed-secret-10958350

And for a little more context on how this was received in 1993:

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/princess-diana-reaction-charles-camillagate-tapes-leak-tampon-bodyguard-ken-wharfe-book-memoirs-a7886311.html

I think it usually got condensed and distorted into the punchline of "Prince Charles wants to be reincarnated as a tampon!" 

Someone else who can probably jump in with more detail. I was 3 when this happened. 😛 But I remember coming across an anecdote sometime as a tween, and for the longest time, that was my main association with both Charles and Camilla. Tampons! 

 

I was a lot older in 1993, lol. I wasn't following the story avidly at the time but I do recall how cringe-inducing the stories about that were.

Much later, in Tina Brown's book The Diana Chronicles, I read an interesting take on the phone call. Brown pointed out how well Camilla knew Charles, and that besides the sexy talk, Camilla listened as he read part of a speech he was going to give and gave him some feedback on it. IOW, she was giving him explicit emotional and moral support, showing an interest in his work, and all of that with warm affection. Things that all human beings need, regardless of whether you were raised in a cold duty-bound Germanic royal family as Charles was.

If Charles hadn't gone off on that brief imaginative trip about being reincarnated as a tampon so he could live in Camilla's "trousers," the conversation as a whole wouldn't have been so bad, IIRC. There was some suggestive talk such as "I can't start the week without you," and "I want to feel my way all over you" (well okay that's kinda cringeworthy but OTOH it wasn't intended for public consumption), and obviously these two forty-somethings were hot for each other. 

During that same period, another secretly recorded royal family phone call was also released by the tabloids: Diana's infamous New Year's Eve phone conversation a couple of years earlier, with James Gilbey in which he called her "Squidgey" dozens of times, and "darling," and she bitched and moaned about how much she hated "this fucking family." 

It's an interesting contrast shown in those calls. Charles was getting deep emotional support and comfort from his lover who obviously was hot for him, although his marriage was hellishly unhappy and his public reputation was going south. Diana, who was adored by millions (and the tabloids' prize cash cow), was Charles' partner in that hellish marriage - but the consolations she was getting from Gilbey IMO were shallow when you compare that conversation to the infamous Camillagate phone call. 

  • Like 12
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

If Camilla and Charles are smart, and they have been doing pretty well all things consider, if Charles became King (and despite everything, I think William wouldn't overtake him, just for the simple fact he might want a little more time before having that headache) Camilla won't be called queen in public and go by a "Duchess" title. The public has reluctantly accepted her and are even sympathetic to the fact that Diana and Charles had a badly thought out arranged marriage, but there is still residual Diana love and maybe do it out of respect to the heir apparent, Will. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I was a lot older in 1993, lol. I wasn't following the story avidly at the time but I do recall how cringe-inducing the stories about that were.

Much later, in Tina Brown's book The Diana Chronicles, I read an interesting take on the phone call. Brown pointed out how well Camilla knew Charles, and that besides the sexy talk, Camilla listened as he read part of a speech he was going to give and gave him some feedback on it. IOW, she was giving him explicit emotional and moral support, showing an interest in his work, and all of that with warm affection. Things that all human beings need, regardless of whether you were raised in a cold duty-bound Germanic royal family as Charles was.

If Charles hadn't gone off on that brief imaginative trip about being reincarnated as a tampon so he could live in Camilla's "trousers," the conversation as a whole wouldn't have been so bad, IIRC. There was some suggestive talk such as "I can't start the week without you," and "I want to feel my way all over you" (well okay that's kinda cringeworthy but OTOH it wasn't intended for public consumption), and obviously these two forty-somethings were hot for each other. 

During that same period, another secretly recorded royal family phone call was also released by the tabloids: Diana's infamous New Year's Eve phone conversation a couple of years earlier, with James Gilbey in which he called her "Squidgey" dozens of times, and "darling," and she bitched and moaned about how much she hated "this fucking family." 

It's an interesting contrast shown in those calls. Charles was getting deep emotional support and comfort from his lover who obviously was hot for him, although his marriage was hellishly unhappy and his public reputation was going south. Diana, who was adored by millions (and the tabloids' prize cash cow), was Charles' partner in that hellish marriage - but the consolations she was getting from Gilbey IMO were shallow when you compare that conversation to the infamous Camillagate phone call. 

That's an excellent point! The tampon part of the conversation is super cringey, of course, but the rest of it is actually pretty normalish. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

If Camilla and Charles are smart, and they have been doing pretty well all things consider, if Charles became King (and despite everything, I think William wouldn't overtake him, just for the simple fact he might want a little more time before having that headache) Camilla won't be called queen in public and go by a "Duchess" title. The public has reluctantly accepted her and are even sympathetic to the fact that Diana and Charles had a badly thought out arranged marriage, but there is still residual Diana love and maybe do it out of respect to the heir apparent, Will. 

Every year that the Queen lives means more time has passed since Diana.  Camilla has chosen not to use the title of Princess of Wales in deference to the late Diana, but that is the only title people associate with Diana.  I don't see Camilla forgoing the title of Queen when the time comes unless there are still objections about her divorce and Andrew Parker-Bowles being alive.  Camilla and Charles have been married 15 years now and by all appearances are going to be married until death.  This marriage will have lasted longer than the marriage of Charles and Diana by the time Charles inherits the throne.  Once Charles does inherit the throne, William will become Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall etc, and Catherine will inherit the title of Duchess of Cornwall.  If Camilla is not made Queen Consort, then a new title would have to be created for her.  A title befitting the spouse of the monarch where she would outrank Catherine and all of the other ladies who have married into the family.  It's far easier to crown her queen instead.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If Camilla is not made Queen Consort, then a new title would have to be created for her.  A title befitting the spouse of the monarch where she would outrank Catherine and all of the other ladies who have married into the family.  It's far easier to crown her queen instead.

When they got married it was announced that Camilla would use Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort. That statement was removed from their website a couple of years ago so I imagine they feel it’s no longer necessary. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Dani said:

When they got married it was announced that Camilla would use Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort. That statement was removed from their website a couple of years ago so I imagine they feel it’s no longer necessary. 

I can see why that disappeared.  It's been 15 practically scandal free years.  Camilla has acquitted herself well as the Duchess of Cornwall and the longer the Queen lives the shorter the reign of King Charles III.  William has done his part to ensure the succession for another generation.  The monarchy is not going to fall apart if they have Queen Camilla for a decade or two.  

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Dani said:

When they got married it was announced that Camilla would use Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort. That statement was removed from their website a couple of years ago so I imagine they feel it’s no longer necessary. 

Yes, I think that enough time has passed that the British public doesn't really care, particularly since there seems to be some sympathy and understanding of Charles' situation in regards to his marriage to Diana as well as the fact that he and Camilla seem truly compatible and have worked well as a team which is something that never could've been said about his first marriage.

I have a close British friend and we've talked about this.  She thinks that the American public is far more besotted by Diana and far more likely to disapprove of Camilla becoming Queen than are the British.  She think most Brits recognize that Diana was not an innocent victim, either.  Of course, she also thinks the royal family is totally dysfunctional and has been for generations and doesn't see why anyone would want to marry into it.  They're more a tourist attraction like Big Ben or the Tower of London, as far as she is concerned; rather than some aspirational symbol of British family life.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, I think that enough time has passed that the British public doesn't really care, particularly since there seems to be some sympathy and understanding of Charles' situation in regards to his marriage to Diana as well as the fact that he and Camilla seem truly compatible and have worked well as a team which is something that never could've been said about his first marriage.

I have a close British friend and we've talked about this.  She thinks that the American public is far more besotted by Diana and far more likely to disapprove of Camilla becoming Queen than are the British.  She think most Brits recognize that Diana was not an innocent victim, either.  Of course, she also thinks the royal family is totally dysfunctional and has been for generations and doesn't see why anyone would want to marry into it.  They're more a tourist attraction like Big Ben or the Tower of London, as far as she is concerned; rather than some aspirational symbol of British family life.

Yes, I think you're right. I'm always surprised by the number of Americans I chat with in passing who sincerely think that Charles is going to be skipped in the line of succession. And I'm always like, "That's not how any of this works!" But they usually just double down on it. I don't have anyone in England to compare notes with, but I'm assuming people there are well aware that's not happening. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/23/2020 at 11:49 PM, Zella said:

I had a damnable time finding anything now because all the reporting is about The Crown apparently not going there. (I say this as someone who absolutely loves Josh O'Connor, but damn you, Josh O'Connor for not wanting to make your parents uncomfortable while they watch The Crown!)

But here's the full transcript that was leaked of a phone call between Camilla and Charles, back when he was still married to Diana:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-camillagate-tapes-exposed-secret-10958350

And for a little more context on how this was received in 1993:

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/princess-diana-reaction-charles-camillagate-tapes-leak-tampon-bodyguard-ken-wharfe-book-memoirs-a7886311.html

I think it usually got condensed and distorted into the punchline of "Prince Charles wants to be reincarnated as a tampon!" 

Someone else who can probably jump in with more detail. I was 3 when this happened. 😛 But I remember coming across an anecdote sometime as a tween, and for the longest time, that was my main association with both Charles and Camilla. Tampons! 

 

I knew of Tampongate, but this is the first time I've read the whole transcript. Thanks. It's all kind of endearing actually, how they go from some mildly sexy talk to the practicalities of meeting up. Oh, how do we avoid traffic? And then they end with, You hang up. - No, you hang up. I' ll be honest, even the tampon thing doesn't come off as particularly eyebrow raising since it seems like a tangent they went off on and were kidding about it. 

The one thing that doesn't come off well is wishing the strike lasts for their purposes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Once Charles does inherit the throne, William will become Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall etc, and Catherine will inherit the title of Duchess of Cornwall.  I

One small correction, Catherine will be Princess of Wales.   Calling the spouse of the Prince of Wales the Duchess of Cornwall is an entitely unique thing to Camilla.   Because as you said, Diana was so associated with the title, calling Charles' second spouse that title (even though she was entitled to it) would have been a bit much at the time.   But Catherine does not have that same stigma attached.   There is nothing stopping her or George's future wife when he gets the title from being Princess of Wales.   The further we get from Charles and Diana, the less the title will be solely associated with Diana.    I can see some of the public really wanting William, Diana's son, to give that title to his wife.   Like she wears his mother's engagement ring.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

One small correction, Catherine will be Princess of Wales.   Calling the spouse of the Prince of Wales the Duchess of Cornwall is an entitely unique thing to Camilla.   Because as you said, Diana was so associated with the title, calling Charles' second spouse that title (even though she was entitled to it) would have been a bit much at the time.   But Catherine does not have that same stigma attached.   There is nothing stopping her or George's future wife when he gets the title from being Princess of Wales.   The further we get from Charles and Diana, the less the title will be solely associated with Diana.    I can see some of the public really wanting William, Diana's son, to give that title to his wife.   Like she wears his mother's engagement ring.

I know.  I was just illustrating that the title Camilla is using will become Catherine's once QEII dies and Camilla will need a new title.   The Duchy of Cornwall automatically becomes William's at that point.  The PoW title has to be conferred onto William once Charles is crowned.  

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know.  I was just illustrating that the title Camilla is using will become Catherine's once QEII dies and Camilla will need a new title.   The Duchy of Cornwall automatically becomes William's at that point.  The PoW title has to be conferred onto William once Charles is crowned.  

Actually, it gets conferred once the monarch confers it which has no set timeframe. Back in 1841, Queen Victoria conferred it to her firstborn son Prince Albert Edward within a month of his birth via Letters Patent and that was that. Then about 10 months after Edward VII became king, he conferred that title to the future George V but evidently delayed it due to flak from Queen Alexandra who didn't want their son and daughter-in-law Mary to use the titles she and her own husband had used for 37 years (and,to date Alexandra has had the longest tenure as Princess of Wales). Then in 1911 about a year after his accession, George V had the idea of conveying the title to his eldest son (the future Duke of Windsor) in a special ceremony that pretended to have ancient roots but was essentially was concocted for the occasion.  Charles was barely three years old when he became the Heir Apparent  but Her Majesty didn't officially proclaim him Prince of Wales until he became 21 in 1969- in another somewhat concocted ceremony at the ancient Carnaveron Castle in Wales that was televised. Of course,  in that one, the Prince of Wales's coronet was something that consisted of ping-pong balls spray painted gold and glued on (and Charles would later admit that he had  a hard time keeping that oversized  coronet from falling to his nose and only because he and his mother had rehearsed it enough were they able to get through this without laughing which they HAD done during the rehearsals). 

 Since the Duke of Cambridge is well over 21 and no one  addresses the Duchess of Cornwall as the Princess of Wales, it's possible that Charles may opt to simply issue  Letter Patent ASAP to be done with it for his eldest son  and daughter-in-law rather than wait any time and/or go through any spectacles.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Camille said:

I think it had to be Harry’s decision to make a break with his family.  There’s a great deal of undercurrents to the placid face we see and for someone who has a place in the family but his was always going to be lesser, especially now that his brother the heir had children Harry’s struggle to see where he fit was always going to be an issue.  I still think his taking a break from his family is to his benefit but he now has to make a place for himself and that can be difficult.  I hope he and his family can be happy because he deserves that after the tragedies in his life.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Harry and Meghan.

I'm curious.  How are they supporting themselves now?

Do they own or rent?  How do they generate income for their expensive lifestyle?

Are they depending on the generosity of friends and of course Charles?A

It's one thing to step aside of one's family and responsibilities but another thing to be self sufficient!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Harry and Meghan.

I'm curious.  How are they supporting themselves now?

Do they own or rent?  How do they generate income for their expensive lifestyle?

Are they depending on the generosity of friends and of course Charles?A

It's one thing to step aside of one's family and responsibilities but another thing to be self sufficient!

They are apparently living in a home owned by Tyler Perry, so they don't own a home of their own as far as I know. Whether they pay him rent, I have no clue. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Harry and Meghan.

I'm curious.  How are they supporting themselves now?

Do they own or rent?  How do they generate income for their expensive lifestyle?

Are they depending on the generosity of friends and of course Charles?A

It's one thing to step aside of one's family and responsibilities but another thing to be self sufficient!

Well, they’re millionaires so they have enough to pay their living expenses. As for income they signed with a speaking engagement agency last month. It’s the same agency the Obama’s and Oprah use. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Harry and Meghan.

I'm curious.  How are they supporting themselves now?

Do they own or rent?  How do they generate income for their expensive lifestyle?

Are they depending on the generosity of friends and of course Charles?A

It's one thing to step aside of one's family and responsibilities but another thing to be self sufficient!

Right now they're staying in Tyler Perry's estate, so they don't own it, but I have no idea if they're paying rent. Since they both had plenty of money already, they could be living off of interest earned, I'm sure that's a pretty good chunk of change.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size