Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From PeoplePrincess Beatrice Quietly Wed Edo Mappello Mozzi at Windsor Castle Yesterday

The Princess’ royal grandparents & father were among those in attendance.

I wonder if Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh would have agreed to have thrown the happy couple a Windsor wedding had either of them (particularly Mr. Mozzi) had asked if the middle generation could just skip the wedding. I definitely think the Duke of Edinburgh would have LOVED to have had witnessed a York-free wedding of Princess Beatrice! 

• Like 1

That flower arch is stunning.

Here is the tiara and it's previous wearers.

Here is her bouquet on the Grave of the Unknown Warrior per tradition.

The dress is a vintage one of the Queens!

EdPLR_7WAAkZi-t?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: More Info
  • Like 20

The dress is gorgeous on Beatrice.  Of course it was fitted by Angela Kelly.  I love that she wore the Mary Fringe tiara that her grandmother wore rather than the York tiara.

• Like 12

Here are some gifs of the Queen wearing the dress as an evening gown at the Lawrence of Arabia premiere in 1962:

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/12/10/queen-at-lawrence-of-arabia-premiere-1962/

Yesterday it was said that she was wearing her original dress and no one seems to know if this was a special substitute from the Queen or she had always planned it. I tend to think the former but we'll see. The tiara is a nice surprise and a perfect one to show that although this isn't the planned wedding, it is not less important and special. 

Details from the DM include that their mother's read their favourite poems Shakespeare's' Sonnet 116 and EE Cummings "I Carry You in My Heart", the couple spent the night in a glamping pod in the grounds after a small family only wedding reception yesterday with both sets of parents, Edoardo's son and both sisters and their families. 

I have to say it looks like the perfect intimate wedding royal style, those flowers are absolutely amazing. 

Beatrice's flowers have also been placed on the tomb of the unknown warrior as is traditional.

Edited by Featherhat · Reason: Changed the link to a different version of the dress
  • Like 12

Not a fan of her dress.  I don’t like the poufy sheer sleeves.  I also think she should’ve put her hair up.  I think the tiara would’ve looked better that way.  At least she looks happy.  Best wishes to the couple!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The dress is gorgeous on Beatrice.  Of course it was fitted by Angela Kelly.  I love that she wore the Mary Fringe tiara that her grandmother wore rather than the York tiara.

I've seen it speculated over the years that the York Tiara is no longer in Sarah's possession, it having been sold to pay off her debts, which is why we haven't seen it but we have no way of knowing how true that is. The Queen certainly loaned both her grandaughters incredibly beautiful and in this case very personal ones for their weddings. Zara wore one that was in her mother's collection from Princess Alice (Phillip's mother).

• Like 5

I wish Beatrice had put her hair up too but I am glad she scored such a stupendous tiara!  Even if she never wanted the big televised spectacle that Eugenie had, having a wedding while basically having to hide her publicly reviled father must be very hard on her.  As far as I know there's never been a scandal attached to Beatrice and no matter what Andrew has done, I can't blame her for still loving her father and wanting him there.

Her bouquet was gorgeous!  I'm torn about the dress.  I think the poufy sleeves made it look too casual.  The photo of Queen Elizabeth in that dress is stunning.  I'm sure a different alteration could have updated the dress better for Beatrice.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Frost said:

I wish Beatrice had put her hair up too but I am glad she scored such a stupendous tiara!  Even if she never wanted the big televised spectacle that Eugenie had, having a wedding while basically having to hide her publicly reviled father must be very hard on her.  As far as I know there's never been a scandal attached to Beatrice and no matter what Andrew has done, I can't blame her for still loving her father and wanting him there.

Her bouquet was gorgeous!  I'm torn about the dress.  I think the poufy sleeves made it look too casual.  The photo of Queen Elizabeth in that dress is stunning.  I'm sure a different alteration could have updated the dress better for Beatrice.

I liked the sheer puffy sleeves as an alteration- made it look more modern. 

I think she looked beautiful and happy. I am glad for her. Like many brides she had to make changes because of COVID19, but she did get to have her grandparents, Mom and sister there. 

• Like 8

The puffed sleeves give me a Heidi (or Sound of Music) feel, and the hair doesn’t quite match the tiara, but she looks happy.

• Like 1

I absolutely adore the vintage dress, and that very special tiara! The flowers are stunning. It looks like it was a lovely day. ❤️

• Like 8

I agree with those who have said they would have preferred her hair up.  I always think that looks better with a tiara.  I wish Kate had worn her hair up at her wedding.  I think the sleeves were added since to just have the straps might have been considered too bare for a church wedding, especially with the 94 year old Queen in attendance.  Beatrice looks lovely and very happy.  And no pictures of her parents!  Gee, I wonder why.  

• Like 7

On 7/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Thomas Markle, Sr. and Jr, the daughter Samantha Grant/Markle/ whatever, should just stop bothering Meghan.    They only want to get more tabloid money for photos, and for saying how mean Meghan is for not having Daddy move in with her.         Or they think Meghan should support the entire useless lot of them.     

I'm hoping the security team has photos of all of the out-laws from her family, and restraining orders in place.    

I loathe that people who are related to someone who becomes famous, then tries to make money on them.     The daughter married into royalty, and that entitles her relatives to nothing.  

Now I read that Meghan's former friend BFF, Jessica Mulroney is writing a book about their relationship.   What a rotten thing to do. 

Why is she a former friend???  I thought they were BFF!!!

9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Brought this over. Such pretty photos!!

Notice that the photo of the bride has the Queen & the Duke, & not her father & mother. Hmm, I wonder why?

8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I love that she wore the Mary Fringe tiara that her grandmother wore rather than the York tiara.

Probably for the same reason as the photo.

8 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Here are some gifs of the Queen wearing the dress as an evening gown at the Lawrence of Arabia premiere in 1962:

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/12/10/queen-at-lawrence-of-arabia-premiere-1962/

I like the way the dress looks on the Queen better, I think she has more petticoats underneath giving the skirt a fuller look.

• Like 2

I looked it up and the weather was 59 Fahrenheit for the low and 75 for the high in London yesterday so it's not as though Princess Beatrice would have died of heat stroke had she worn full-length sleeves to her wedding. Still, it was her choice and her wedding (and evidently Her Majesty raised no objections) so there's no reason not to  retroactively respect her choice in that even if one may disagree with it. Nice pics of her with the groom and her surviving grandparents! Interesting the Royal Chapel of All Saints is the informal parish church for the inhabitants and the employees of Windsor!

• Like 3

So upon closer look at the dress I still like the sheer puffy sleeves, but not because it makes it look more modern, but because it makes it look more whimsical. Especially with the flowers and the garden. I dig. 

• Like 7

I like the dress and the puffy sleeves but my opinion is that it seems a tad bit casual with a tiara. 

Not that a princess cares about my opinion. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

After staring at the full length photos of the gown, I feel qualified to offer my official opinion 🙃  (with the disclaimer that it is not my dress and not my wedding and therefore not actually any of my business).  I think the gown needed the petticoats to really show off the crystal work.  Not having a full skirt made almost a pleated effect and diminished the crystals.  Also, the gown looked to be an inch or two short.  It doesn't quite reach the ground, but it isn't tea length either so it just seems to be a mistake rather than a deliberate choice.  Did Beatrice change her shoes at the last minute?  Or did the queen not want the dress dragged on the ground?  I think long, close sleeves of sheer fabric would have looked more sophisticated than the poufy sleeves.  It's not that it looked bad, per se.  It's that the dress looked absolutely stunning on the Queen and it seems a shame it didn't look as stunning on Beatrice.  

• Like 10
  • Laugh 1

I always liked Beatrice and Eugenie glad to see they both seem so happy. Personally I think that the petticoats underneath would not work with the daytime setting. I believe the Queen wore the dress to some evening events (a movie premiere and a state dinner) and a more voluptuous skirt would make it more formal. And I like that she wore her hair down (though that may be more a personal bias that people over estimate that updo's look good on everyone). All in all it seems like it was perhaps a more casual wedding, which makes sense. 

• Like 14

I like the additional pictures even better.   She looks happy and lovely.   The leaving the bouquet on the tomb of the Unknown is a tradition that tugs my heart every single time.   

Beatrice can't help who her parents are.   They are what they are.  I am not going to criticize a bride on her wedding day (unless she is wearing a stripper fairy dress good god).   I wish Beatrice and her new husband all the best.

• Like 10
  • Laugh 2

I always hate puffy sleeves so I did not like that modification, but the beading and crystals are beautiful and I like that she wore a vintage dress. I wish she had worn a brighter lip color but I always wish that for Kate, too. The flower arch was beautiful and I liked that she continued the tradition of sending her bouquet to Westminister. Hopefully this works out and they are very happy (I don't totally trust him).

• Like 5

Very nice photos. Lovely bride, lovely flowers, handsome groom.

I'm guessing sleeveless is a no-no in the Chapel? Whether or not, my vote would be cap sleeves and more petticoats. Perhaps her hair looks casual in comparison with the fussy sleeves and would be better complemented by cap sleeves. She left a message about it in my voice mail but I didn't get back to her in time. 

Best Wishes to the bride and Congratulations to the groom. Hip hip hooray! 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

On the one hand, I kind of feel bad that while Eugenie had the big elaborate wedding, Beatrice was forced to have the more private, smaller affair in light of the lockdowns and what is going on with her dad. On the other hand, except for the sleeves, the wedding dress was much cooler than Duchess Kate and her sister's wedding dress, and I can imagine that Prince William and Kate are a bit jealous that Beatrice got the less stressful wedding. I've heard that both of them would have rather gotten married in a hut somewhere in Africa with 20 people in attendance than that huge wedding that they were forced to have. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

On the one hand, I kind of feel bad that while Eugenie had the big elaborate wedding, Beatrice was forced to have the more private, smaller affair in light of the lockdowns and what is going on with her dad.

If it were me I'd have preferred Beatrice's lovely, intimate wedding to a big extravagant wedding. This one seemed very personal and relaxed and lovely.  I'm not a fan of huge events or crowds. Either way, both of them looked happy with their weddings and that's all that really matters. 

I adore that dress! I love that tiara! I love her bright, happy smile. Congrats to the happy couple. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

If it were me I'd have preferred Beatrice's lovely, intimate wedding to a big extravagant wedding. This one seemed very personal and relaxed and lovely.  I'm not a fan of huge events or crowds. Either way, both of them looked happy with their weddings and that's all that really matters. 

I adore that dress! I love that tiara! I love her bright, happy smile. Congrats to the happy couple. 

Yes, but she was forced to have the wedding that way since it looks like we won't being seeing an end to the lockdown. She also might have wanted to have a few more of her friends come to the wedding as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Yes, but she was forced to have the wedding that way since it looks like we won't being seeing an end to the lockdown. She also might have wanted to have a few more of her friends come to the wedding as well.

Yes. They had planned a wedding with a few hundred people, I can see them having a reception for their friends when it’s safe to do so. 

But she was able to get married and have her grandparents in the photos which I’m sure was important to her. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Blergh said:

I looked it up and the weather was 59 Fahrenheit for the low and 75 for the high in London yesterday so it's not as though Princess Beatrice would have died of heat stroke had she worn full-length sleeves to her wedding. Still, it was her choice and her wedding (and evidently Her Majesty raised no objections) so there's no reason not to  retroactively respect her choice in that even if one may disagree with it. Nice pics of her with the groom and her surviving grandparents! Interesting the Royal Chapel of All Saints is the informal parish church for the inhabitants and the employees of Windsor!

Since in the UK in July it can be torrential wind and rain or hotter than the south of France on alternate days or often just drizzling, she probably just went with what she herself wanted. 

There's no official rule about sleeves in church or potentially with the Queen (Zara had a sleeveless Stuart Parvin dress) but I imagine it's preferred by HM and traditional. The puffs make it a little different and quirky. I like it but I would also be interested in seeing it with sleeves.

The way it all came together in a couple of weeks after deciding they were going to just go for it and the intimacy and secret mission-ness of it might actually have made it more special. You really find out what's important under those circumstances. They created something unique and romantic out of several difficult situations and the Queen being so involved (and generous) sent some powerful messages of support to everyone about her granddaughter, as well as it clearly being important to share in their joy personally. And apparently are going to have a big party later on. I would consider this very much a win for her and her new husband and step son. And we have not had to see one single photo of her father. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Like 15

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Additional photos.

The dress is gorgeous. The hair looks DIY.

She's giving me total Amy Adams in Enchanted vibes in the second pic. 

While I do think the seamstress made the dress fit her wonderfully, I'm not on board with the sleeves. The wide straps don't go well woth them IMO and give it an awkward vibe. Maybe the sleeves would have worked better without the straps.

I am totally jealous of her hair. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bijoux said:

She's giving me total Amy Adams in Enchanted vibes in the second pic. 

While I do think the seamstress made the dress fit her wonderfully, I'm not on board with the sleeves. The wide straps don't go well woth them IMO and give it an awkward vibe. Maybe the sleeves would have worked better without the straps.

I am totally jealous of her hair. 

Me too.  The whole look seems whimsical fairytale princess to me, which is great, IMO.  What with the setting including the old church, the woodland setting and the country garden flowers; it seems like that was her plan.  Wearing her hair down also fits that motif.  Disney princesses wear their hair down with their tiaras after all.

From what I understand, Beatrice never wanted the public wedding that Eugenie had.  Her original wedding, pre-Covid, was not going to have as large a guest list, she wasn't going to do the public horse and carriage ride and there was to be no television coverage.  While that may have been due to her father's sins, my understanding is that she never wanted that kind of wedding.  I think Andrew probably would've wanted it, so his downfall meant she got to do it her way.

I loved the nice touches and tributes to the Queen from using her wedding tiara and re-purposing one of her dresses were lovely.  The fact that she decided to forego having non-family guests in order that her very elderly grandparents could attend was touching to me.  She can have a party later with her friends; there's no telling how much longer her grandparents will be able to attend these things and, considering the ages of Edward's kids, the Queen and Philip are unlikely to be around to see any more of their grandchildren wed.

• Like 17

43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I loved the nice touches and tributes to the Queen from using her wedding tiara and re-purposing one of her dresses were lovely.  The fact that she decided to forego having non-family guests in order that her very elderly grandparents could attend was touching to me. 

These are the elements that make this a much more special wedding to me than some big extravaganza with hundreds of guests. The pictures make me think this wedding was absolutely enchanting, sweet and very special.

• Like 13

With the discussion of Beatrice’s hairstyle, I started looking for her with an updo and cannot find one.  Can anyone remember her with a bun of some sort?  I’ve seen some headbands or barrettes or a ponytail, but nothing more than that.

• Like 1

Re the gown, I also like the square neckline which I think flatters everyone. It never looks dated and it provides a perfect frame for the face especially on an occasion when lots of photos will be taken.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Me too.  The whole look seems whimsical fairytale princess to me, which is great, IMO.  What with the setting including the old church, the woodland setting and the country garden flowers; it seems like that was her plan.  Wearing her hair down also fits that motif.  Disney princesses wear their hair down with their tiaras after all.

From what I understand, Beatrice never wanted the public wedding that Eugenie had.  Her original wedding, pre-Covid, was not going to have as large a guest list, she wasn't going to do the public horse and carriage ride and there was to be no television coverage.  While that may have been due to her father's sins, my understanding is that she never wanted that kind of wedding.  I think Andrew probably would've wanted it, so his downfall meant she got to do it her way.

I loved the nice touches and tributes to the Queen from using her wedding tiara and re-purposing one of her dresses were lovely.  The fact that she decided to forego having non-family guests in order that her very elderly grandparents could attend was touching to me.  She can have a party later with her friends; there's no telling how much longer her grandparents will be able to attend these things and, considering the ages of Edward's kids, the Queen and Philip are unlikely to be around to see any more of their grandchildren wed.

I agree with all of this.  It sounds like Beatrice got the exact wedding she wanted given the circumstances and it also feeds into the whole "keep calm and carry on" vibe of her grandmother's generation.  I think there a lot of parallels to wartime England and Covid-19 England.  With the Queen also knighting Captain Tom later in the afternoon the whole day seemed like a way to honor a generation that is disappearing every day.  It is also great political theatre and I think the RF really nailed this one.  They created a day to boost the spirits of the people while honoring Beatrice's wishes, and take the attention off of the bride's father.  

• Like 16

And now I want to go to Cornwall.

Mette Marit did a video for Haakon's birthday.

I love that she's just instagramming for fun.

That ruffled shirt on MM is hate crime, but I kind of like the dress. There are additional solo photos in this post.

I've been reading a little about the Belgies and King Philippe issuing a statement on the Congo. It's not enough, not nearly enough, but so much more than I expected. 

• Like 6

Beatrice looks sooo pretty. The gown is amazing on her, romantic and feminine and vintage. Even the puffy sleeves work for me and I'm normally not a fan of puffy sleeves for anyone over the age of, like, 8.

• Like 11

Honestly, Clarence House, you should know better. "Legend" says nothing of the sort about Uther Pendragon; there is no such figure in either history or legend. Uther Pendragon is a character of medieval fiction, not ancient British legend!

/end nitpicky grumbling

I wonder if Harry missed being at his cousin's wedding.  Actually I wonder a lot about Harry.  Last couple of pictures I saw of him and Megyn he was following along behind and I just felt a sadness for him.  A fish out of water so to speak.

He has made such a sacrifice.  I surely hope it's all worth it.  I have always loved the playful, handsome Harry.  Always smiling and always happy.  That's gone now.  Sigh.

Just saw that Kate and William weren't at Beatrice's wedding. I guess this means everyone hates everyone and I fully expect a large socially distanced blowup in the near future. Kate screaming at Beatrice from across Buckingham Palace lawn. William throwing a haymaker at Edward while both are wearing masks. Etc., etc. Give me some juicy lockdown gossip, please.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 14

45 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

William throwing a haymaker at Edward while both are wearing masks. Etc., etc. Give me some juicy lockdown gossip, please.

Masked royal cagefights isn't the reality show I knew I needed, but it's the one I want. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 14

54 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Just saw that Kate and William weren't at Beatrice's wedding. I guess this means everyone hates everyone and I fully expect a large socially distanced blowup in the near future. Kate screaming at Beatrice from across Buckingham Palace lawn. William throwing a haymaker at Edward while both are wearing masks. Etc., etc. Give me some juicy lockdown gossip, please.

In Great Britain, the current guidance for weddings under Covid recommends not more than 30 guests and suggests fewer is safer.  So, besides the happy couple; we had Andrew and Fergie, the paternal grandparents, Eugenie and her husband.  Mapelli's parents are divorced and his mother has remarried, so that is 3 more.  Mapelli's son was also there.  

It sounds like none of Beatrice' aunts, uncles or cousins attended.  Presumably, inviting one would mean inviting the rest; which would've easily put them over the recommended limit.  The royal family has been very careful to demonstrate strict adherence to the NHS COVID guidelines.  

I don't think it's any big scandal that William and Kate didn't attend, not that some public fireworks wouldn't be great entertainment.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 11

37 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

In Great Britain, the current guidance for weddings under Covid recommends not more than 30 guests and suggests fewer is safer.  So, besides the happy couple; we had Andrew and Fergie, the paternal grandparents, Eugenie and her husband.  Mapelli's parents are divorced and his mother has remarried, so that is 3 more.  Mapelli's son was also there.  

It sounds like none of Beatrice' aunts, uncles or cousins attended.  Presumably, inviting one would mean inviting the rest; which would've easily put them over the recommended limit.  The royal family has been very careful to demonstrate strict adherence to the NHS COVID guidelines.  

I don't think it's any big scandal that William and Kate didn't attend, not that some public fireworks wouldn't be great entertainment.

Yes. I believe they would’ve liked to be there, and will attend the big reception they have with friends later, but given the numbers it makes sense they didn’t go. 

• Like 2

Drunk, f**ked up, and casually racist is no way to go through life, even if some found you more loveable that way.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe this nightmare will make people realize that it isn't necessary to have a gigantic wedding that costs as much as a car.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

It was parents and siblings only because that's how weddings pretty much have to be currently, in the UK - I have two cousins getting married this week, both weddings postponed from earlier in lockdown, and I can't attend either for exactly that reason. It isn't because they don't want their cousins there and it isn't because I don't want to be there for their special day. It is because there are currently extremely tight Covid-19 restrictions in place, and that takes precedence.

By locking down the attendees so tightly, Beatrice was able to make it safe for her extremely elderly grandparents to be present, which is probably what mattered most to her - and what her cousins would also have wanted for her, if I had to guess. They can have a bigger celebration for the entire family later, when it is safe to do so. That's what my cousins are planning.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Camille said:

Maybe this nightmare will make people realize that it isn't necessary to have a gigantic wedding that costs as much as a car.

The people that would actually learn this lesson probably wouldn't have spent that much in the first place.  The people that need to learn this lesson won't, as they're more likely the ones complaining about being told what to do during this crisis and ignoring safety protocols in the first place.

(on topic)...unlike most Royals, who are at the very least trying to lead by example.

• Like 9

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.