Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

34 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m just not sure I agree with you that it would have curbed the racist ranting from the tabloids. Sadly the tabloids are very powerful in British media. They have the public’s ear and I don’t think they would go down without a fight. Until people stop reading them I don’t see them changing. 

So there's no point in trying? They should just give up and let the abuse flow?

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Anduin said:

THIS.    Nothing would have stopped the racist tabs.   But IF the Queen or Prince Charles had come out with a strongly worded statement about appreciating a free press but that racism will not be tolerated it would have helped Meghan.   To know SOMEONE has your back would have left her feeling supported.    I highly doubt she reached the age of 36 without knowing you ain't gonna make the racists go away completely.   But you expect at least your own family to speak out about it -- or in this case your in laws WHO HAVE THE BLOODY MEGAPHONE OF VOICES to at least condemn it.  Not just tell you "don't talk and don't let your friends talk either, it's just not done when one marries into the Firm."

• Like 17

33 minutes ago, Anduin said:

That’s not what I said or what I meant. I said multiple times that they can and should do more. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

This tiara is gorgeous.

I so want the dirt on Charlene and Albert.

It is really pretty!

• Like 7

I think it's easy to see that a lot of things went wrong regarding Meghan's introduction to the Royal Family.  I don't know much about the power behind the Royal Rota, and what it would take to change it (possibly the involvement of Parliament, since the issue includes both the press and the royals?), but it has been royal policy (official or unofficial) for decades to ignore unfavorable press.  And often, when they have broken that policy, it's backfired, thus reinforcing the policy of disengagement all over again.  Camilla went through a horrendous time, not too long ago.  So yes, I can easily see the palace not recognizing racist dogwhistles because a lot of the stories brought up (such as Meghan during her pregnancy, or the stupid avocado thing) aren't overtly about race, and can just seem like the sexist nitpicking that all the royal women have endured.  The one thing I do think the Queen should have publicly responded to was the overtly racist attack on Archie.  

I still think the timeline of Meghan's royal life was very short, without a whole lot of wiggle room for making adjustments and trying to make it work for all involved.  The Queen did seem to take an active interest in Meghan's royal debut, and Meghan herself did seem eager to jump in full-steam ahead and shake things up.  In hindsight, that was rather naive (and maybe even a little presumptuous) of her.  And while Kate's long pre-engagement relationship with William may seem unnecessary to people, it did give her years of observing and learning that Meghan didn't have.  She probably understood more how being royal isn't really a job, as much as a lifestyle.  And I don't think Meghan or Harry really accepted that.

The one thing that still strikes me as odd is the big People magazine article with Meghan's friends defending her.  Sure, maybe I'll buy that none of them mentioned anything to Meghan, and she had no idea.  Whether she knew or not really doesn't mean much to me.  What I don't get is airing everything in an American publication, when the American tabloids were much more supportive of Meghan to begin with and the barrage of criticism hadn't really gotten much coverage here, unless you were looking for Brit media.  And I do wonder if that counterattack further soured relations in England.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ancslove said:

The one thing I do think the Queen should have publicly responded to was the overtly racist attack on Archie.  

The Queen has been able to give very public shows of support for her pedophile of a son though...

Haven’t we reached the point where we’ve stopped trying to rationalize away racism?

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t blame William for that, given that they started dating at 19. The break up was probably good for their relationship. 

When people start dating before the age of 21 the very long dating period before marriage makes sense to me. 

Also, given how things went with his mom joining the royal family and what an inevitable pressure cooker it is going to be for anyone, I can't really blame William for thinking long and hard about that decision. (Or Kate either, to be honest.) 

• Like 23

The black and brown countries of the Commonwealth should run but inertia will keep them there.  At least the Governor-General of Jamaica had a Things That Make You Go Hmmm awakening about that Order of St. Michael and St. George medal and now refuses to wear it until changes are made.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t blame William for that, given that they started dating at 19. The break up was probably good for their relationship. 

When people start dating before the age of 21 the very long dating period before marriage makes sense to me. 

I get the breakup, they were young when they started their relationship.   Both needed some time as adults to figure out what each really wanted. They each took that time, and then decided to get back together.   I do think that William should not have needed 3 years to finally propose. That feels excessive to me.  I get being cautious because of the whole Charles and Diana relationship,  but there's cautious and indecisive.   William came off as indecisive to me.

• Like 5

Charlene, Albert and the twins. That lipstick changes her whole face. They are actually starting to look happy as a family.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I get the breakup, they were young when they started their relationship.   Both needed some time as adults to figure out what each really wanted. They each took that time, and then decided to get back together.   I do think that William should not have needed 3 years to finally propose. That feels excessive to me.  I get being cautious because of the whole Charles and Diana relationship,  but there's cautious and indecisive.   William came off as indecisive to me.

I get what you’re saying. I do think it’s likely when William begged Kate to take him back and she agreed, he let her know they would be getting married once he did xyz, and with that promise she was fine with it. Which I understand given their ages and what would be required of her once they got married. 

They got married at 29- that’s not older to get married. Also it could be Kate wanted to wait a bit more 1. To make sure that’s what she really wanted- he did act a little shady but she loved him, and you know how that goes; 2. Enjoy her freedom for a few more years- there is a WORLD of difference between William’s live in GF and fiancé. Even given how awful people treated her. 

We can’t assume it was all William’s decision on the timing of the engagement. 

• Like 19

24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I get what you’re saying. I do think it’s likely when William begged Kate to take him back and she agreed, he let her know they would be getting married once he did xyz, and with that promise she was fine with it. Which I understand given their ages and what would be required of her once they got married. 

They got married at 29- that’s not older to get married. Also it could be Kate wanted to wait a bit more 1. To make sure that’s what she really wanted- he did act a little shady but she loved him, and you know how that goes; 2. Enjoy her freedom for a few more years- there is a WORLD of difference between William’s live in GF and fiancé. Even given how awful people treated her. 

We can’t assume it was all William’s decision on the timing of the engagement. 

Yeah, assuming William was the one dragging his feet is probably not the right way to go.  They are private enough that no one will ever know if it was him or Kate taking their time.  I do think that it was him mostly because he is the one with all the power and privilege.   The tabloids had a field day disparaging Kate becaus she was the royal outsider trying to marry above her station.  It was Waity Katie, how long until Wills throws her over for someone more suitable; and not why is William dragging his feet when he has this wonderful woman.   Kate also had a lot more on the line than William.  She was the one who had to give up her life to be with him once they got back together as adults.  

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yeah, assuming William was the one dragging his feet is probably not the right way to go.  They are private enough that no one will ever know if it was him or Kate taking their time.  I do think that it was him mostly because he is the one with all the power and privilege.   The tabloids had a field day disparaging Kate becaus she was the royal outsider trying to marry above her station.  It was Waity Katie, how long until Wills throws her over for someone more suitable; and not why is William dragging his feet when he has this wonderful woman.   Kate also had a lot more on the line than William.  She was the one who had to give up her life to be with him once they got back together as adults.  

Yup. I always thought Kate really did love him to have to go through all that. You’re right, William was the one with all the power and privilege, but he came to his senses and realized he loved this woman, and she would get away if he didn’t fly right. Plenty of men (and women) have been there with the person they did love but may have taken for granted in their moment of stupidity. 

All of those people calling her “Waity Katie” probably have two kids by a guy that doesn’t remember to call them back and wants to talk shit about two single people in their TWENTIES not getting married. Sexism for shame. What did this woman do besides have a boyfriend? Nothing. 

• Like 14

I think the RF is given way too much credit,  They aren't failing to recognize racism.  And if they were then they are being made aware of it and still not doing anything.  I'll go one farther and say that I think they encourage racism and sexism in their silence.  And they do it deliberately.

I think at a fundamental level that two things are true.

1) They would rather a member of the family be attacked in a way that is unfair than a central member of the family who has committed crimes be attacked fairly because in the former they retain the support of a faction of people that sees the unfairness and in the latter the media and the people are united against them.  So they are fine with Meghan suffering sexist and racist attacks if it diverts attention from Andrew.

2) the concept of an heir and a spare lives.  The RF knows that the media will attack someone to make money.  They would rather the spare and his family take the heat over anyone in the direct line.  Its likely seen as the spare's duty to Crown, country, and family  So racist attacks against Meghan and Archie are fine with them because succeeding in stopping them means the media will start looking elsewhere.  They also have the bonus that the attacks against the spare usually ending a comparison to the heirs where the heirs come out looking better.

I'd even argue that they would rather sexist attacks against Kate than any attack,even justified, against William.

I think this is fundamentally why Harry and Meghan left.  If they'd stayed they would have been expected to take any abuse, no matter how vile, as a diversionary tactic to support the Queen, then Charles, and then William.  They would have only gotten relief when William's kids, not directly inheriting the throne, were old enough to take over the position of punching bag.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 11
  • Useful 4

1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

I think the RF is given way too much credit,  They aren't failing to recognize racism.  And if they were then they are being made aware of it and still not doing anything.  I'll go one farther and say that I think they encourage racism and sexism in their silence.  And they do it deliberately.

I think at a fundamental level that two things are true.

1) They would rather a member of the family be attacked in a way that is unfair than a central member of the family who has committed crimes be attacked fairly because in the former they retain the support of a faction of people that sees the unfairness and in the latter the media and the people are united against them.  So they are fine with Meghan suffering sexist and racist attacks if it diverts attention from Andrew.

2) the concept of an heir and a spare lives.  The RF knows that the media will attack someone to make money.  They would rather the spare and his family take the heat over anyone in the direct line.  Its likely seen as the spare's duty Crown, country, and family  So racist aattacks against Meghan and Archie are fine with them because succeeding in stopping them means the media will start looking elsewhere.  They also have the bonus that the attacks against the spare usually ending a comparison to the heirs where the heirs come out looking better.

I'd even argue hat they would rather sexist attacks against Kate than any attack,even justified, against William.

I think this is fundamentally why Harry and Meghan left.  If they'd stayed they would have been expected to take any abuse, no matter how vile, as a diversionary tactic to support the Queen, then Charles, and then William.  They would have only gotten relief when William's kids, not directly inheriting, were old enough to take over the position of punching bag.

This analysis makes sense to me. 

And also, they probably expected Meghan to be willing to take it because she was granted the privilege of marrying into the family in the first place. “Just deal” as black people have had to do forever and a day. “We let you all get married and we gave you security so no one would physically hurt you- what more do you want??”

Having white immediate family members who had treated her this way (of course not all, she was very close to her paternal grandmother who’s passed away and some Markle side cousins who are decent normal folk), Meghan likely expected it but wanted to see how things played out. 

Not surprised they left- Harry wasn’t into being royal in the first place and was glad to have a reason to officially leave the firm. 

• Like 16

25 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

W-A and a giant mound of potatoes.

So many potatoes!

• Like 1

Well I never thought he was the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but this was hardly a suprise.   Unless he was one of the one's helping hiding her and his foolproof plan .... wasn't.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, suomi said:

If he's bewildered it is because he has no idea what he is going to do if Ghislaine is offered a deal in return for naming prominent names who participated in the sexual escapades with minors.  I hope what he is going to do is get indicted, be found guilty and go to jail.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

If he's bewildered it is because he has no idea what he is going to do if Ghislaine is offered a deal in return for naming prominent names who participated in the sexual escapades with minors.  I hope what he is going to do is get indicted, be found guilty and go to jail.

He's  bewildered because he doesn't understand why the US Attorney keeps pointing out that he isn't cooperating in response to his press statements that he is willing to help in the investigation.  His entitled royal ass expects the fiction that he is cooperating not to be challenged and that to smooth over his transgressions and make the problem go away.  Because that is what his Mommy makes happen for him at home.

I think its very unlikely that the US can do anything to Prince Andrew, not even make him testify, much less indict him, convict him and jail him.

• Like 15

21 hours ago, ancslove said:

and Meghan herself did seem eager to jump in full-steam ahead and shake things up.  

Shake things up how? By working for her patronages and helping charities make money?

In the time Meghan was a working Royal, she initiated and saw to completion a project that helped a community still recovering from a devastating tragedy raise significant funds to help others. And her thanks for that was to not so subtly be linked to terrorism. Example one of where something should and very well could have been said and it wasn't. Because that's dangerous rhetoric to put out there. And there was nothing but silence. 

She edited a fashion magazine, no different than other Royals had done. Hers just happened to be one of the biggest fashion magazines and she dared to focus on diversity and women's empowerment. And that was apparently a problem because there were only five white women on the cover. Because certainly the most under-represented population in fashion magazines are white cis-gender women. 

And then she did royal tours like every other working royal and had a baby. That was it, really. Such a rebel. 

And while Kate's long pre-engagement relationship with William may seem unnecessary to people, it did give her years of observing and learning that Meghan didn't have.  

And yet with all these years to "prepare" the Palace still asked for her to be granted grace and time to get her feet wet in her her new Royal role, after they were married, when said British tabloid media, started to go in on her for not working enough. I believe William went to Charles and the Queen for support in that. 

What I don't get is airing everything in an American publication, when the American tabloids were much more supportive of Meghan to begin with and the barrage of criticism hadn't really gotten much coverage here, unless you were looking for Brit media.

The American tabloid media may have been kinder but they were also regurgitating a lot of the b.s. stories that were coming out of the British tabloids. And they weren't the only ones. Legitimate media sources, such as GMA, The Today Show, etc. were repeating it because it's clear these shows don't consider Royal stuff "real news", see it as akin to pop culture and so they likely do little independent research to verify anything. 

They just allowed idiots with a British accent, calling themselves "a Royal expert" onto their morning shows, to regurgitate the same bullshit Daily Mail and company were peddling. They just softened their language a little bit in how they spoke about Meghan, but it was the same narrative. So no, the negative coverage wasn't isolated to British shores. 

And so why would Meghan's friends, trying to show support and give her side of things, go the same publications and media that was excoriating and attacking her on the daily for sport. 

I also just want to add that for all this never complain and never explain and they don't respond to silliness, while there was complete silence from Kensington Palace about all negative coverage regarding Meghan, they sure found time to deny a story of Kate's getting botox and wearing hair extensions. Because certainly botox and hair extensions are so scandalous and offensive. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I also just want to add that for all this never complain and never explain and they don't respond to silliness, while there was complete silence from Kensington Palace about all negative coverage regarding Meghan, they sure found time to deny a story of Kate's getting botox and wearing hair extensions. Because certainly botox and hair extensions are so scandalous and offensive

Maybe if The Queen had complained and explained to Andrew, we wouldn't have pictures of Kevin Spacey sitting in her chair.

An Independence Day shoutout to anybody and everybody who found the courage to leave toxic situations!  NEVER let an Ursula silence your voice.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 11

I think one huge reason for the shorter engagement and wedding between Meghan and Harry is that she's older, and they wanted kids.   Kate and William were younger, and had more time. 

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think one huge reason for the shorter engagement and wedding between Meghan and Harry is that she's older, and they wanted kids.   Kate and William were younger, and had more time. 

This. And when you're older, I think you know yourself and your wants and needs better. You've had other relationships and more quickly realize "this ain't working."

Also, the decision to marry the future King of England is different from the decision to marry his brother. Harry and his family would have a much different future than William, even if they had stayed in the U.K. At this stage in their lives, it's not a great difference, but as years go by that would change. The Wessex family lives a vastly disparate life to the PoW's family. The pressure, expectation, lack of privacy, duties... it's just a whole 'nother level.

Harry likely/hopefully broached the possibility of leaving the BRF before they got married. (Just my conjecture, based on nothing.) William's wife would know that would never be an option, for her or her kids. Her MIL being the best example. 

• Like 15

39 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

And dating in your teens, even late teens is simply significantly different than dating in your 30s - whether a couple wants kids or not. People in their 30s have careers, better understanding of who they are, what they want, what they don't want, etc.

• Like 12

I never bought that Meghan People magazine article because it was filled with “a source said“ or “her friends say.”  I find it hard to believe that a truly close friend like Abigail Spencer said anything to People magazine at all. Serena is pretty tight lipped too.  People makes things up just like the tabloids.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Like 6

On 7/3/2020 at 11:21 PM, MissAlmond said:

Maybe if The Queen had complained and explained to Andrew, we wouldn't have pictures of Kevin Spacey sitting in her chair.

Worse, apparently during a private tour of the palace, Ghislaine Maxwell put her creepy, sex trafficking of minors butt on the throne.   I mean seriously, who says "Yeah that's the Royal Throne, go sit on it and I will take your picture."   It's not a prop.

• Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

I think Meghan and Harry did the right thing by trying to distance themselves from the Firm right now.  I have very little respect for the family because the queen is making sure that her favorite child a credibly accused rapist of minor children is protected and the family has to circle wagons to toe the party line.  They might not be happy about the whole Andrew situation but they are not going to make waves at all.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Uh oh.  The heat is once again turned up on Prince Andrew with the Ghislane Maxwell arrest.  Better trot out some old ass, already debunked, story about Meghan to distract people. 

Let the choir say amen. They're just re-purposing shit now. Corona and all you know - content a little slow. 

The funniest part about this ridiculous story when they tried peddling it last year was all the "Meghan that witch stole Eugenie's shine on her day". Oh please, no offense to Eugenie but she didn't have any shine then like she doesn't now. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 10

Another article, which I can't find the link to, unfortunately, claims that Meghan is struggling to cope in LA. 

Not 48 hours ago, I read something similar about Harry. 🙄

It never ends with these tabloids.

• Like 5

Someone needs to take youtube away from me.

I'm now so deep into Hamilton clips that I came across the one where Harry sings the first two words from "You'll Be Back" on stage. And I swear he bowed to the actor playing King George III.  Seriously, I replayed all the handshaking and he only bowed his head that deep to his sixth Great Grandfather.

• Laugh 5

Shut up, Harry. He's such a hypocritical douche. 

In more fun news,

Camz is out and about!

And Arthur Chatto's hot thighs.

He's rowing around Great Britain for charity.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Camille said:

I’m very glad to see them talking about this. If they were still working royals there is no way they would’ve been able to do some of things they’ve done to acknowledge racial injustice and support movements toward equality. This was a great Skype call. I enjoyed not only hearing from H/M but more so the young leaders of color who are fighting for change. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Enero said:

I’m very glad to see them talking about this. If they were still working royals there is no way they would’ve been able to do some of things they’ve done to acknowledge racial injustice and support movements toward equality. This was a great Skype call. I enjoyed not only hearing from H/M but more so the young leaders of color who are fighting for change. 

I FULLY agree with you! It's also good to see the Duke of Sussex acknowledging historic past wrongs that need to be set right AND that he supports the Duchess working for current progress in that direction! I can't help but think that their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor will appreciate both parents embracing ALL sides of his heritage!

• Like 15

The last thing I want is to be lectured about privilege by arguably the single most privileged person on the planet. No matter how well intended.

Eta - for the record, it's the same way I feel about Prince Charles flying around the world lecturing about climate change. I love ya, Chuck. But...no.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 13

53 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The bride looked lovely, the groom looked handsome.   Best wishes to the happy couple.

I kind of love that covered up all lace dress. I also love them sitting in a circle, maintaining their distance but still able to have their wedding. Good of them. They look so happy together. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

The last thing I want is to be lectured about privilege by arguably the single most privileged person on the planet. No matter how well intended.

Eta - for the record, it's the same way I feel about Prince Charles flying around the world lecturing about climate change. I love ya, Chuck. But...no.

Of course if they didn't use their platforms for the improvement of society they'd catch grief for that too.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Exactly. Harry is very problematic. He always has been, but it's been laughed off. It's not just his privilege; it's his personal history. I am unapologetic in my loathing of that total asshole. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Princess Rayiah of Jordan married Ned Donovan, grandson of author Roald Dahl.   

https://people.com/royals/princess-raiyah-of-jordan-marries-british-journalist-ned-donovan-in-england/

The bride looked lovely, the groom looked handsome.   Best wishes to the happy couple.

Give me those gorgeous jewels. 

Now now, what's this?

Fred and Joachim are feuding? Drama with the Danes?

It always cracks me up that Joachim's second wife, Marie, looks so much like Fred's wife, Mary.

1.-Photo-of-Marie-and-Joachim-of-Denmark

Marie and Joachim

fmdparade2009trc.jpg

Fred and Mary. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.