Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Does anyone know what the Duchess of Sussex's current citizenship status is? I know she was born in the US and had automatic US citizenship until she married the Duke then at least was in the process of becoming a British subject when they wed. But did she renounce US citizenship entirely and become a British subject via being married to the Duke ? If so, then wouldn't they not just have to renounce British citizenship but also ENTIRELY renounce their titles so as to become plain old Henry (Harry) and Rachel (Megan) Windsor-Mountbatten before they were to become US Citizens after (in his case) a 5-year residency? 

20 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I'm 99% sure there was a stricter law about papping celebrity kids instated a while back in California. Isn't that still in effect? 

It is. I believe Jennifer Garner and Halle Berry, along with other non-famous residents worked to get that instituted. 

8 minutes ago, Blergh said:

But did she renounce US citizenship entirely and become a British subject via being married to the Duke ?

Meghan never renounced her citizenship. She's still a U.S. citizen. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

2 hours ago, ancslove said:

Other celebrities have said they feel a marked difference in the level of paparazzi and celeb-watchers when in LA vs New York, where apparently it's easier to go about your business fairly undisturbed.  Los Angeles is the worst when it comes to paparazzi chases, because the laws are more lax.  And the US in general is worse about photographing children of famous parents than the UK, Europe, or Canada.  But, US media may be more friendly to Meghan and Harry than UK media, so I guess it's a toss-up.

That's what I've always heard, too--that if you're a celebrity and want to be left alone, NY is a better option than LA. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

It is. I believe Jennifer Garner and Halle Berry, along with other non-famous residents worked to get that instituted. 

Meghan never renounced her citizenship. She's still a U.S. citizen. 

So I guess if the Duke of Sussex wanted to become a US citizen, he'd have to become plain old Mr. Harry Windsor-Mountbatten. 

They're the ones making a big deal about them living in some mansion owned by Tyler Perry like it's something disgusting and shameful, as if the whole damn Royal Family aren't curled up in their massive castles right now.

I don't think the "problem" is that it's a mansion, I think it's that the mansion is owned by Tyler Perry. Frankly, I'm side-eying that too. If Meghan is trying to jump-start her Hollywood revival, as it were, I would hope she could do better than getting involved in a TP project. That won't enhance her image on either side of the pond.

• Like 2

So living in a mansion owned by Tyler Perry automatically equates to plans to be in a Tyler Perry production?

Note that I used the word "if" in my post. I realize that is not an automatic conclusion to draw. And again, I don't believe the mansion part is the real issue.

Tyler Perry, despite his material success, is a problematic, polarizing association for many, for reasons I won't go into here but that Meghan should be aware of. I don't think it's as simple as because he's rich and Black and self-made.

That's fine if Meghan gives no fcuks but it's no surprise to me that the British tabloids latched onto it in a clearly racist way. And as someone who is still rooting for her and Harry and Archie, I sincerely hope their choice of temporary residence doesn't turn out to be another misstep.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I sincerely hope their choice of temporary residence doesn't turn out to be another misstep.

Well I imagine it'd be no worse than the problematic natures of the many individuals other Royals have worked with and stayed at their property or have had stay at Royal properties, including the Queen herself. You know, like the ones accused of human trafficking, sex trafficking, tax evasion, money laundering, sexual assault, etc. etc. 

• Like 17

8 hours ago, Featherhat said:

It was just surprising for a couple who claim intolerable press and public intrusion into their lives was a key factor in leaving royal duties, who announced more than once they won't deal with the tabloid press any more, to move to the celebrity and paparazzi capital of the world. Where there is much less protection against being photographed doing ordinary things than the royals generally have in the UK. There are plenty of places relatively close by to LA that aren't as accessible or frankly as gossip worthy as Tyler Perry's spare mansion.

I wonder if they figured the attention would be diluted in LA because there are so many other celebrities. There they are just a couple of the many instead of the main focus.

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Does anyone know what the Duchess of Sussex's current citizenship status is? I know she was born in the US and had automatic US citizenship until she married the Duke then at least was in the process of becoming a British subject when they wed. But did she renounce US citizenship entirely and become a British subject via being married to the Duke ? If so, then wouldn't they not just have to renounce British citizenship but also ENTIRELY renounce their titles so as to become plain old Henry (Harry) and Rachel (Megan) Windsor-Mountbatten before they were to become US Citizens after (in his case) a 5-year residency? 

I think Meghan is still an American citizen, I remember when they got married KP said that she was going to wait the 5 years before she could be a UK citizen.

• Like 3

So I guess if the Duke of Sussex wanted to become a US citizen, he'd have to become plain old Mr. Harry Windsor-Mountbatten. 

Now that would cause a huge amount of controversy due to the nature of the US Oath of Citizenship "I entirely renounce all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty" I imagine he would be out of the line of succession and definitely Mr H Windsor-Mountbatten. But there's no need for him to do that, he can get a green card right? 

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't think he's seeking to become a US citizen. 

I don't think so. Meghan didn't have to give up her American citizenship because she was given royal titles. Wallis Simpson stayed an American citizen even though she was also the Duchess of Windsor, so why would Harry have to drop his titles? He might even end up with dual citizenship, which I'm pretty sure is what Archie has.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm 99% sure there was a stricter law about papping celebrity kids instated a while back in California. Isn't that still in effect? 

There is a California law against harassing the children of celebrities but it is hard to prove and enforce. The more reputable publications stopped publishing the photos but others still do. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Pretty soon they might begin to wish they had stayed in England.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Pretty soon they might begin to wish they had stayed in England.

I strongly suspect they're feeling damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I wouldn't want it either, but it's been made very clear that I or any other citizen can't shoot 'em out of the sky without resulting in being arrested.  I don't have the clout these two do to have something done about it, perhaps they don't either.  We'll see I guess.

prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-call-cops-after-drones-fly-over-home

In CA, drones can not be used to record people without their permission. Drones are also not supposed to be flying over people.  I don't know how much teeth the laws/regulations have but, assuming they can track down who is flying the drone, there were some things the operator was likely violating.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

In CA, drones can not be used to record people without their permission. Drones are also not supposed to be flying over people.  I don't know how much teeth the laws/regulations have but, assuming they can track down who is flying the drone, there were some things the operator was likely violating.

I think just about all of them are violations, both government and privately owned.  I unwillingly admit that they come in handy when viewing areas inaccessible or unfriendly to humans, searching for lost skiiers maybe, but outside of that, I'd sooner shoot 'em out of the sky.

• Like 2

Here is the royal family of Spain having a moment of silence for CoViD-19 victims.

Felipe is the poster child for "military bearing." And that facial hair does so much for him.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because the real outrage in Britain at the moment is that Harry and Meghan are living in LA in a mansion owned by Tyler Perry. 

Trust me, it really isn't. Certain sections of the tabloid press might wish to give that impression, but your average person on the street just now honestly could not care less where the Sussexes are living or who they are renting from. (We are too busy seething over our government being in thrall to a seedy senior advisor). Please do not take your readings of the British public mood from isolated stories printed in the tabloids!

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Trust me, it really isn't. Certain sections of the tabloid press might wish to give that impression, but your average person on the street just now honestly could not care less where the Sussexes are living or who they are renting from. (We are too busy seething over our government being in thrall to a seedy senior advisor). Please do not take your readings of the British public mood from isolated stories printed in the tabloids!

I don't. I would never be so immature as to brush an entire country of people with one broad stroke. Just to clarify, it's why I'm always careful to say the British tabloid press when making these criticisms. I actually know the average person likely doesn't care because I've seen it many times. 

I remember when ITV tried desperately to drum up some outrage about how Archie's birth was handled and went around doing a segment, asking people on the street and basically everyone was, "it's their baby, who cares. Let them present him how they want".

But yeah if you went by the British tabloid media, the "public was outraged" because "taxpayers". Which is why I said that the only people who refuse to just let these people live their lives is the British tabloid media. Because most of their publications are in serious financial trouble and unfortunately for Harry and Meghan, they're one of the few topics still driving clicks for these publications. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think so. Meghan didn't have to give up her American citizenship because she was given royal titles. Wallis Simpson stayed an American citizen even though she was also the Duchess of Windsor, so why would Harry have to drop his titles? He might even end up with dual citizenship, which I'm pretty sure is what Archie has.

BUT Wallis Warfield Simpson never lived in the UK after marrying the Duke of Windsor AND she was only grudgingly called 'the Duchess of Windsor' by the royals  but not given the HRH  title so I don't there would have been an issue re her surrendering titles.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

BUT Wallis Warfield Simpson never lived in the UK after marrying the Duke of Windsor AND she was only grudgingly called 'the Duchess of Windsor' by the royals  but not given the HRH  title so I don't there would have been an issue re her surrendering titles.

US citizens can’t be given a title by the US government but there is nothing preventing them from having a foreign title. There was a proposed amendment that would have prevented it but it wasn’t ratified by the states.  His title doesn’t prevent Prince Harry from becoming a US citizen. Most likely the UK would have a bigger issue with it than the US.  

Grace Kelly didn’t renounce her US citizenship when she married. Prince Albert didn’t renounce his US citizenship until he was 21. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

At the time of her marriage, it was announced that Meghan would apply for British citizenship using the same timetable applied to anyone else who might marry a citizen.  She specifically did not request, nor was she granted, any special treatment and she is still a couple years away from being eligible for citizenship in the UK.  We don't know if those plans have changed.

As for Archie, he is the son of an American citizen born on foreign soil.  As such, he is eligible to receive US citizenship but it is not automatic.  His American parent must request it on his behalf, through the embassy where they were residing when he was born, I believe.  We haven't heard whether Meghan has done this or not, probably because it is none of our business.

Prime Minister Trudeau had no objection to the Sussex living in Canada, he welcomed them.  However, the Canadian government was not interested in paying their security expenses which were quite high when they arrived since they were using the royal family's security teams who were being flown back and forth to Britain and were being housed at British taxpayer expense in Canada.  All of that has changed now and the Sussex use private security paid out of their own funds (or Charles').

There is no evidence that Meghan and Harry requested special treatment by Canadian immigration.  Harry is a citizen of another commonwealth country and Meghan has lived and worked in Canada for a number of years.  There is no reason why they couldn't have qualified as legal residents of Canada following the usual rules and no evidence that they tried to get around them.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 12
  • Useful 5

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As for Archie, he is the son of an American citizen born on foreign soil.  As such, he is eligible to receive US citizenship but it is not automatic.  His American parent must request it on his behalf, through the embassy where they were residing when he was born, I believe.  We haven't heard whether Meghan has done this or not, probably because it is none of our business.

If they intend to stay in the US as residents Archie will automatically become a US citizen even if Meghan didn’t request it earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Both Meghan and Harry can be both US and UK citizens, since both countries recognize dual nationality. Now, them being royals might throw a kink into the works, if there is some protocol issue about dual nationality from the UK end of things, but since the chances of him being the sovereign are very low, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

As for Archie, he is a US and UK citizen, from what I understand. Or at least, he himself is entitled to being a citizen of both countries. A person born abroad on or after November 14, 1986, to one United States citizen is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:

1) The person's parents were married at time of birth

2) One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born

3) The citizen parent lived at least five years in the United States before the child's birth

4) A minimum of two of these five years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

Prince Joachim of Belgium decided to attend a party in Spain in violation of lockdown orders, and has now tested positive for coronavirus.

What an arrogant, entitled, selfish fuckwit.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Prince Joachim of Belgium decided to attend a party in Spain in violation of lockdown orders, and has now tested positive for coronavirus.

Everybody at the party is now under quarantine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52864072

No doubt everyone stuck there would now like to crown him for that! And it's been months since the precautions became known (and he's not an illiterate, ignorant shut-in) so it looks like he thought the rules didn't need to apply to him. 

Of course there also needs to some scrutiny over those who organized the deal despite the risk (which definitely blew up in their faces) and, yes, the other attendees might also want to start seeking self-kicking machines for having put themselves at risk despite them now paying a horrible and potentially serious (possibly fatal) price [ Sorry but it IS possible to be a victim of something AND having made a rather STUPID move contributing to current victimhood. ) 

• Like 5

Andrew is DONE for good.   Even the Queen has finally accepted the advice of her counsel that she CANNOT have him around in an official capacity ever again.    Andrew had hoped for a come back someday.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/as-queen-works-at-94-theres-no-way-back-for-prince-andrew/news-story/e5c0e5911d4621934b4be7969fc76d98

Apparently its not just Epstein.   His charity has some "irregularities."   Ya think?     He still holds honorary military appointments but the Brass have asked that he be removed since he is an "embarassment" to the Armed Forces.   

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

[ Sorry but it IS possible to be a victim of something AND having made a rather STUPID move contributing to current victimhood. )

They are a victim of their own ignorance or arrogance. Just because someone is stupid enough to throw a party doesn't mean you have to be stupid enough to attend it. I have serious doubts that any of them were forced to go. It is any people they then came in contact with that are victims.

I have no sympathy for those who chose to attend that party. I have sympathy for the people they may have infected because of their selfishness.  

• Like 12

So has anyone seen Twitter blowing up with some "Anonymous" passing along some "report" (by which I mean conspiracy theory") that Diana was murdered by the royals because she was going to expose their sex trafficking ring. And the Twidiots are buying it.

I. Am. So. Done.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 8

25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So has anyone seen Twitter blowing up with some "Anonymous" passing along some "report" (by which I mean conspiracy theory") that Diana was murdered by the royals because she was going to expose their sex trafficking ring. And the Twidiots are buying it.

I. Am. So. Done.

Well “Anonymous” posted a deleted story from a conspiracy theory website so it must be true, right? 🤦‍♀️ 
Not that it will matter to the idiots who have zero critical thinking skills but snopes debunked it a few years ago. 

Did a Retired MI5 Agent Confess on His Deathbed: ‘I Killed Princess Diana’?

• Like 3

Was the sex trafficking ring run out of a pizza parlor?

• Laugh 6

20 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Was the sex trafficking ring run out of a pizza parlor?

They probably ate the pizza even as they spread the rumor.

• Laugh 3

Is that QAnon? They allege that all celebrities are in a satanic sex trafficking ring/traffic their own children. That is some high level crazy and now bringing Diana's death into it. UGH. Let that poor woman rest in peace. There is not one new thing about her death that I want to know or hear about. 

Instead, let's look at these gorgeous jewels on Silvia of Sweden.

She looks amazing.

• Like 8

The Queen's still got it! 94 and on the back of a horse! 

• Like 19

That poor horse is probably thinking "oh shit, I better not stumble!"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

59 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That poor horse is probably thinking "oh shit, I better not stumble!"

Good one!

However; IMO the mount appears to be crossing the front legs which seems to indicate that  horse is slightly relaxed and is familiar with this  particular passenger having carried the Queen on many occasions . And Her Majesty appears to be just gently guiding the mount in a very slow, steady relaxing trot rather than attempting a fast gallop or jump.

Still, I can imagine the Queen would prefer to go out on a horse than in a sickbed- especially at 94! 

• Like 11

On 5/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, doodlebug said:

At the time of her marriage, it was announced that Meghan would apply for British citizenship using the same timetable applied to anyone else who might marry a citizen.  She specifically did not request, nor was she granted, any special treatment and she is still a couple years away from being eligible for citizenship in the UK.  We don't know if those plans have changed.

I just looked up the rules on applying for UK citizenship, and you have to have lived in the UK for three years before applying for citizenship as the spouse of a citizen, and you can't have spent more than 270 days outside the country within those three years or more than 90 days within a year of applying.  Who knows what their long term plans are, but unless they plan on moving back full-time or most-time, she's going to remain ineligible.  There's an exception to the rule for if the citizen spouse is working abroad on behalf of the government, but Harry obviously isn't doing that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I get the impression that the media coverage and press abuse soured Meghan's experience in the UK and that she no longer has any interest in becoming a British citizen. And I can't say I blame her. It's a step that would have certainly made sense if they had stayed in England and remained in the royal family, but as of now, I'm not sure it really offers any incentives for her. 

• Like 11

Of course per reports, at the moment he still has his ceremonial military honors, despite the military organizations making it clear they would like him removed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

26 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Of course per reports, at the moment he still has his ceremonial military honors, despite the military organizations making it clear they would like him removed. 

He needs to be stripped of all honors. There is nothing about this man that is remotely honorable. 

• Like 12

He better figure out a way to support himself (or hope for a large inheritance). Once Mummy is gone, he really will be persona non grata. Heck, Charles will probably kick him out of Royal Lodge just to be spiteful. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

He better figure out a way to support himself (or hope for a large inheritance). Once Mummy is gone, he really will be persona non grata. Heck, Charles will probably kick him out of Royal Lodge just to be spiteful. 

I’m sure that he is going to get a very large inheritance and he has a 75 year lease. Elizabeth has set her relatives up very nicely.

Although it seems fitting that the only one of The Queen’s children who desperately wants status is the one who threw it away. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I thought that already happened, what did he retire from before?

3 minutes ago, GaT said:

I thought that already happened, what did he retire from before?

The official statement, in the wake of his disastrous interview, was that he was stepping back from public life for the foreseeable future. However, many interpreted it as merely a temporary decision imposed because of all the backlash about the interview. This is saying he's done period from any official public royal duties. 

• Like 6

Just now, truthaboutluv said:

The official statement, in the wake of his disastrous interview, was that he was stepping back from public life for the foreseeable future. However, many interpreted it as merely a temporary decision imposed because of all the backlash about the interview. This is saying he's done period from any official public royal duties. 

I'm guessing the Jeffrey Epstein documentary that's on Netflix now put the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

Heading over to Netflix... 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I'm guessing the Jeffrey Epstein documentary that's on Netflix now put the final nail in the coffin.

Do they bring up Andrew? I hope they did and dragged him.

21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Do they bring up Andrew? I hope they did and dragged him.

I haven't watched it, so I have no idea. I feel angry enough all the time without adding to it with Netflix.

• Like 4

Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.