Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Happy 94th, Lillibet.

ADORE this footage of  Her Majesty as a young girl having spontaneous FUN with her late mother and sister. If she's seen this footage recently, I wouldn't be surprised if she were to laugh and cry at the same time!  If Prince Phillip is in reasonable shape (physically and mentally), I imagine he'd be doing all he could to give her a fun albeit puckish time today and perhaps a bit relieved that it would be just the two of them there (in spite of this being mandated by the affliction).

Happy 94th Your Majesty (and just six more years before time to send oneself a congratulatory telegram)! 

• Like 15

The Fug Girls did the wedding of Liz and Phils.

Here.

She looks so gorgeous. 

That was SO fun to look through -- thanks for sending, Blackberry Jam!

• Like 3

Prince Louis turns 2 tomorrow. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 21

But...But...he should still be a baby. Seriously, were did the time go!???!!

Also, if the whole Duchess thing doesn't work out, or being a J Crew model, Kate could certainly make a living as a child photographer. Those are some beautiful pictures of her little Louis. 

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

But...But...he should still be a baby. Seriously, were did the time go!???!!

Also, if the whole Duchess thing doesn't work out, or being a J Crew model, Kate could certainly make a living as a child photographer. Those are some beautiful pictures of her little Louis. 

Right? He looks so big now! A lot like George...

I also agree about Kate being a great child photographer. She has a way of getting great candid shots of the kids that lets their personalities come through.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Prince Louis turns 2 tomorrow. 

It's gonna be so sad 20 years from now when he starts losing that hair.

*pours one out for William's once glorious locks*

• Like 4
  • Laugh 9

Isn't baldness usually passed down from the mother's side of the family? If so, then these boys might be OK. Although I guess having a bald dad probably doesn't help. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, scarletine said:

Isn't baldness usually passed down from the mother's side of the family? If so, then these boys might be OK. Although I guess having a bald dad probably doesn't help. 

All I know is:

Charles Spencer - full head of hair.

Prince Charles - bald, but most of the hair loss is on top and back of his head so it's not as noticeable when you look at him head on

Prince Edward - bald

Prince William - bald

Prince Harry - like Charles, the baldness is happening on top/at the back

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, scarletine said:

Partially. The dominant gene involved is X-linked but men with bald dads are more likely to be bald. 
Louis and George probably have an advantage over their dad because Kate’s dad doesn’t appear to have any thinning. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Partially. The dominant gene involved is X-linked but men with bald dads are more likely to be bald. 
Louis and George probably have an advantage over their dad because Kate’s dad doesn’t appear to have any thinning. 

Isn’t her brother’s hair thinning? It’s been awhile since I’ve seen a picture of him. 

• Like 2

I want to know who was holding Louis down while that paint was applied to his hands - there's not a drop of paint on his shirt, face, hair!  What a cutie pie he is. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I want to know who was holding Louis down while that paint was applied to his hands - there's not a drop of paint on his shirt, face, hair!  What a cutie pie he is. 

There's actually another photo of him where it appears there are spots of paint on his shirt.

• Useful 2

7 hours ago, Calvada said:

Slide to the second photo. "Insta vs. reality." Lol

• Like 10
  • Laugh 2

Awwww such a cute little boy, especially with paint all over his face.

Happy birthday Louis.

• Like 8

While every child SHOULD be able to rely on their grandfathers' sturdy arms to embrace and support them, for various reasons, not every child has that privilege and I hope Prince Louis of Cambridge remembers that time and realizes  how lucky he is to have had that benefit!  Happy Birthday, Your Highness!

• Like 13

I swear, Louis is the cutest Cambridge yet!  Somehow George seems to look his age, but both Charlotte and Louis look more mature than their actual years.  All three appear to have happy personalities in the candid, at home photos.  Hopefully they can grow up as non screwed up as possible in their situation!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Which they would have wound up having to do out of necessity even had they stayed in the UK! Sad irony is that thanks to the current affliction and the latest technology, Her Majesty is as close and as far as 'puter screen from each and every member of her extended family regardless of locale (like so many others).

• Like 6

That is a gorgeous color on Kate. George is at his standard level of mild irritation. Louis is pissed there is no finger paint. Charlotte is plotting to acquire additional toy privileges.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 6

I hope the front liners appreciate it because to my outsider, cynical eyes it looks like an entirely self-serving video.  Let’s just admit that if H and M filmed that video, they’d be roasted for it.

ETA-As I say later, I did not realize based on the 20 second clip shown that this was part of a coordinated, group effort.  Since readers are still reacting to it, I wanted to clear up my confusion here.  I retract my criticism.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I hope the front liners appreciate it because to my outsider, cynical eyes it looks like an entirely self-serving video.  Let’s just admit that if H and M filmed that video, they’d be roasted for it.

It was part of the BBC’s Big Night In fundraiser. The Cambridge’s also participated in the intro. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 7
  • Useful 3

That was truly lovely, seeing the whole video. Thank you for posting. Wills showing a bit of a sense of humor too. Somewhere in the middle of the clapping, I teared up a bit, tut that’s likely because of lingering coronanxiety. It is a lovely gesture from the people in the UK.

• Like 7

I hate to say this, but scrolling through the pages I realized that since Harry & Meghan left the Royal Family I really don't have any interest in them. Apart from wanting to see pics of Archie. I was so excited and full of happiness for them when they got married, but I almost feel stabbed in the back somehow with all that came after.

It's stupid, I know. I'm not even British! LOL.

• Like 8

It helps to see the full video.  I just saw the 20 second version, and out of context it looked self-serving.

• Like 3

I watched it live on TV as part of the three-hour Big Night In - the Duke's participation had been kept a very closely guarded secret, even the presenters weren't told about it until just before they went on air and they didn't announce who was going to be in the skit, so it aired as a total surprise. And no, nothing self-serving about it at all, any front liners watching would have had the context built in. Front liners themselves were filmed taking part in the clap.

The whole show was so much fun, a lot of the sketches were as poignant as they were hilarious. And I confess I really do enjoy it when the royals get involved with things like that, so was delighted to see the Duke taking part in a comedy sketch with a much beloved TV legend, being willing to poke fun at himself. The royals don't often get to show their lighter side in public.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 14

I wonder why William & Kate are called the Duke & Duchess, but their kids are Princes, & Princess? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I wonder why William & Kate are called the Duke & Duchess, but their kids are Princes, & Princess? 

Because they have chosen to be styled Duke and Duchess. They do also hold the titles Prince and Princess.

• Like 5

Not sure if the whole Royal Family participated but Camilla and Charles participated in the Clap too.   

I think the kids are a bit bored with the weekly clap on command thing.   This is not the first time it has been held and its not the first time they have participated.    After awhile standing at your front door clapping for a camera when nothing else is happening gets a bit boring for a child.   Yes they are royals and need to get used to it, but they are still kids.   

• Like 11

Well, his title is still Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, while hers is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. So they can use their dukedom titles. The kids don't have those types of titles yet, but they are of royal blood, so...

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Essentially, legit and recognized children and grandchildren of the monarch get entitled prince and princess at birth and most will keep that title (along with the HRH) until they die. However; the sons and grandsons by the eldest son of the monarch in addition to being princes, also get entitled with Royal Dukedoms at the monarch's discretion but almost always when the prince marries and the new bride also becomes a royal duchess ( Princes of Wales excepted who can get the title  as early as their births but Her Majesty waited until Charles's turning 21 to bestow it even though he'd been her heir apparent since the age of 3). The new Royal Dukes and Duchesses almost always opt to use their more 'senior' titles  but they are all still technically princes and princesses. 

Oh, and despite the succession now being the sheer birth order regardless of gender (from George of Cambridge and his sibs onwards), British princesses do NOT get granted Royal Dukedoms but will keep their princess titles until their deaths. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Crs97 said:

It helps to see the full video.  I just saw the 20 second version, and out of context it looked self-serving.

You've just summed up social media.

• Like 16
  • Laugh 4

However; the sons and grandsons by the eldest son of the monarch in addition to being princes, also get entitled with Royal Dukedoms at the monarch's discretion

All the grandsons of the monarch can get a title, though, no?

Supposedly, the queen wanted to give Peter Phillips some sort of title when he was born, but his parents declined. Not sure if that is true or not, but it would be interesting if it was.

Also, can someone answer this question, why are Andrew's kids princesses, but Edward's aren't prince/princess? Is there any reason why the Queen decided that Edward's kids would be styled as the children of an Earl instead?

Edward's children are Princess/Prince, but he and Sophie have chosen not to use those titles. 

The word on Anne's children, Peter and Zara, is that she and Mark Phillips refused the offer from QE2 to issue letters of patent awarding them titles. 

ETA: As to the why of Bea and Eug using the princess title, I'm going with "because their parents are more pretentious than Sophie and Edward."

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

All the grandsons of the monarch can get a title, though, no?

Supposedly, the queen wanted to give Peter Phillips some sort of title when he was born, but his parents declined. Not sure if that is true or not, but it would be interesting if it was.

Also, can someone answer this question, why are Andrew's kids princesses, but Edward's aren't prince/princess? Is there any reason why the Queen decided that Edward's kids would be styled as the children of an Earl instead?

All male-line grandchildren of the monarch are prince/princesses, entitled to the style of HRH. This is because titles are inherited from fathers - the exception being the monarch. Peter and Zara would never have been HRH or Prince/Princess, as they are female-line grandchildren, but they could have had (courtesy) titles if their father had agreed to a peerage, which he didn't. And, as mentioned, the Wessex children are entitled to the HRH and Prince/Princess title, they just aren't being used, which is what the Wessexes have chosen.

The rules on who is entitled to an HRH/Prince/Princess largely come from George V's 1917 letters patent. George VI issued one of his own when Elizabeth was pregnant with Charles, which stated that all of her children with Prince Philip would be HRH with the title of Prince/Princess because under the earlier LP, they would be entitled to none of that while their grandfather was alive as they would not be male-line grandchildren of the king, even though their mother was next in line for the throne.

Then Elizabeth issued her own LP before Prince George was born, stating that all children of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales would be entitled to HRH/Prince/Princess, as under the original 1917 LP, only the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales got that. The process of switching the Crown inheritance to one of absolute primogeniture was already underway and this took care of the potential issue of a future queen not being an HRH or Princess at birth while her younger brother would be. The Cambridges ended up having a son as their eldest anyway, but moving forward, that issue is taken care of.

Edited by Luciano
  • Like 6

I quite enjoyed the beginning skit of the "Big Night In" special. 

"Have you watched Tiger King?"

"I prefer not to watch shows about royalty." Hee!! I like seeing Wills be rather cheeky!

Also, I loved the use of Coldplay's Paradise, especially since I know Prince William is a big fan of theirs. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Essentially, legit and recognized children and grandchildren of the monarch get entitled prince and princess at birth and most will keep that title (along with the HRH) until they die.

As @Luciano said it’s only the male-line grandchildren who are entitled to Prince and Princesses at birth. So Princess Charlotte’s kids will not automatically be Prince and Princesses. 

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Princes of Wales excepted who can get the title  as early as their births but Her Majesty waited until Charles's turning 21 to bestow it even though he'd been her heir apparent since the age of 3

Charles has been the Prince of Wales since he was 9. His investiture ceremony happened when he was 20. He did automatically become the Duke of Cornwall when he became heir apparent. 

14 hours ago, GaT said:

Duke is the highest rank of the peerage system and the royals choose to use the those titles that were conferred to them rather than the ones they were born with.

Plus wives take on the feminine form of their husbands title so a peerage title is the only way they can use their given name. If Kate chose to use Princess she would Princess William of Wales. Using Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge has to be a lot more appealing. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 6

Like Princess Michael of Kent, born Marie Christine von Reibnitz.  Her husband Prince Michael of Kent is royal, being a direct descendant of King George V, but he's lower-ranked than his brother HRH Edward, Duke of Kent, who succeeded their father HRH Prince George, Duke of Kent.  

• Like 2

Her husband Prince Michael of Kent is royal

Is that why his kids are styled/titled as Lord and Lady? And what exactly are they Lord and Lady of? Or is it the equivalent of being the child of a Duke/Marquess?

Edited by Hiyo

4 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Also, I loved the use of Coldplay's Paradise, especially since I know Prince William is a big fan of theirs. 

I can accept a lot of things, but that's just too much. Coldplay are the most boring band I can name. Possibly because anyone more boring has slipped out of the mind. If I was his advisor, I'd tell him to pick a muso with a little more life in them.

• Laugh 6

1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Is that why his kids are styled/titled as Lord and Lady? And what exactly are they Lord and Lady of? Or is it the equivalent of being the child of a Duke/Marquess?

Yes, as the great-grandchildren of the Sovereign through the direct male-line, they get courtesy titles as children of a duke (so Lord/Lady). They keep that their whole lives, but their children don't get it from them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anduin said:
5 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I can accept a lot of things, but that's just too much. Coldplay are the most boring band I can name. Possibly because anyone more boring has slipped out of the mind. If I was his advisor, I'd tell him to pick a muso with a little more life in them.

Well, they're one of my favorite bands. *shrug*

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Is that why his kids are styled/titled as Lord and Lady? And what exactly are they Lord and Lady of?

The peasantry.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

6 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The second one.  Just like the daughter of the Earl Spencer was known as Lady Diana Spencer prior to her marriage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

The second one.  Just like the daughter of the Earl Spencer was known as Lady Diana Spencer prior to her marriage.

But let's not forget that the Spencers are a titled noble family rather than an actual royal family (although they WERE descended from one of Charles II's non-marital but recognized progeny) and most British noble families have far stricter rules of male primogeniture succession than the Windsors with titles going completely extinct at the death of the last direct male heir even if there are living female descendants. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

they get courtesy titles as children of a duke (so Lord/Lady)

Yeah, but he is a Prince...so the children of Prince's are all titled as Lord/Lady?

Also. Lord/Lady is not a courtesy title per say, those are only used by the eldest sons only of a Duke/Marquess/Earl (see Edward's son, who is using one of his dad's lesser titles by courtesy, or another example the sons of the other Prince Edward, Duke of Kent; the eldest is a courtesy Earl, while his other son is a Lord).

Edited by Hiyo
  • Useful 3

Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.