Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

29 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

If she hadn't been crowned, (for all the hidden signals, meanings in her attire to say nothing of how she's kept virtually ALL British State Secrets for the last 67 years), I can't help but think that Her Majesty would have made a superlative spy! 

• Like 6

Here are some gorgeous photos of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

That first one, red off the shoulder dress, that is so freaking regal. 

I do not like the yellow dress with the fur trim. 

They will be releasing more photos of her this week. She turns 80 on April 16.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

She looks as though she's embracing her Viking, seafaring heritage by looking like a masthead or a mythological sea siren  with that pose! She was rather tall and with rather strong features, she could have become a model in her youth  if she wanted had she not been crowned. 

BTW, she's 14 years and 5 days younger than her British counterpart and cousin! 

• Like 7

The brooches are beautiful!! Thanks for the article-just fascinating.  I am also reminded that the Queen can wear the heck out of a hat!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

If she hadn't been crowned, (for all the hidden signals, meanings in her attire to say nothing of how she's kept virtually ALL British State Secrets for the last 67 years), I can't help but think that Her Majesty would have made a superlative spy! 

This is the James Bond reboot we need. 🙂

• Like 10
  • Laugh 7

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I agree with you. The red one is royal PERFECTION. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I like both red dresses (first and last one). I'm not sure how I feel about the black one but the necklace it is issued with needs to be in my neck right now! The white tank and striped pajama pants I'm currently wearing will set it off nicely! (I mean they are Ralph Lauren PJ's!!) 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, callie lee 29 said:

I like both red dresses (first and last one). I'm not sure how I feel about the black one but the necklace it is issued with needs to be in my neck right now! The white tank and striped pajama pants I'm currently wearing will set it off nicely! (I mean they are Ralph Lauren PJ's!!) 

You need a sash and a few medals too.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

The purple outfit with the pearls is a power outfit to die for.   The first red dress is the very definition of regal.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Zella said:

The Queen and Madeleine Albright belong to a select club.

14 hours ago, Blergh said:

She looks as though she's embracing her Viking, seafaring heritage by looking like a masthead or a mythological sea siren  with that pose! She was rather tall and with rather strong features, she could have become a model in her youth  if she wanted had she not been crowned. 

BTW, she's 14 years and 5 days younger than her British counterpart and cousin! 

Clearly she thinks the right side is her best side, and has thought so for years.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Here she is in purple again with Fred (who is looking good) and Christian.

Great photo of the Viking Queen with the Crown Prince  and HIS heir. Yeah the Crown Prince Fred HAS seemed to inherited both his mother's Scandinavian seafaring features- as well as his late father's Gaullic bearing. I could seem him playing the part of the William the Conqueror (who also was the son of a Viking with a native French parent )! Prince Christian seems slightly awkward but he could become a Viking Adonis by his early 20s (though it's interesting to note that the Prince of Wales STAYED awkward until quite recently when he wound up becoming a surprisingly handsome and unexpectedly ripped older man).

• Like 5

Prince of Wales STAYED awkward

I would say he is still awkward. And still a bit horse-faced.

Christian looks like he's going to grow another 6 or 7 inches. He's at that "awkward in his own body" stage. But yeah, he has potential. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

though it's interesting to note that the Prince of Wales STAYED awkward until quite recently when he wound up becoming a surprisingly handsome and unexpectedly ripped older man

Clearly you never saw the pic of Charles running into the surf at Bondi Beach in the 1970s.   It's not just because he was going to be King that he was the most eligible bachelor in the world.   Also, some pics when he was in the Navy and grew  a beard, he was not bad looking.   It's just the emo seeps through and makes him dweeby.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 9

I think Charles has a nice smile.  Happiness suits him these days.

• Like 13

He is much better looking at this stage in his life than he ever was before.

It reminds me of "One ends up with the face one deserves" - which I have difficulty reconciling with my intense dislike of him (and his wife).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It's just the emo seeps through and makes him dweeby.

The ears don't help either.

• Laugh 3

Wedding of Felipe and Letizia - FUGGirls Rewind Post

More evidence of the transformative powers of Felipe's beard.

Haakon looks great. 

Carl Philip looks fantastic in his uni. 

Maxima is wearing a fabulous hat and ankle strap shoes. Victoria and Madeleine of Sweden, Marie Teresa of Luxembourg, Claire of Belgium and Inaara Aga Khan are ALL wearing ankle straps. #PrehastagRoyalTrend!

Oh and uh...in the final photo, it seems Prince Charles dresses left.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 4

I think Charles is one of those people who was born to be an old man so it took a long time for it all to come together.

Letizia and Felipe each look five years old in those pictures. Too cute. I am glad he has a beard now because it makes him yummy.

I love Maxima so much. Crazy style that completely suits her and a sunny smile to go along with it.

• Like 9

On 4/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, Zella said:

She did do her scene with Daniel Craig at the 2012 Olympics. 😂

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

On 4/13/2020 at 9:25 AM, Blergh said:

I wonder if that's where Madeline Albright got the idea. She did the same with her pins!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Jane Goodall talks about her friend Harry since his move to US with his wife Meghan.

prince-harry-finding-life-a-bit-challenging

Somehow, I think that maybe their friendship is not going to be that strong in the future.

• Laugh 8

16 hours ago, suomi said:

It reminds me of "One ends up with the face one deserves" -

At  fifty, everyone has the face that he deserves.

George Orwell (who died at 47)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

21 hours ago, suomi said:

EXACTLY! If the Prince of Wales maintains his current trajectory, he could wind up being a Men's Fitness centerfold on his 100th Birthday!  LOL

Yeah, I'm not happy how he or the Duchess of Cornwall treated the late Princess of Wales . However, I  definitely think they've each reflected on their roles and have become contrite over what happened. Moreover, they actually seem more committed to helping others in distress and need than before so somehow they've embraced her example which may have helped them recall their more noble purposes  even if they never admit having done so.  

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Happy 80th, Queen Margrethe II!

That's a very touching picture of her with her mother  the future Queen Ingrid. Even if it was set up for a formal pose, one can't deny the visual proof of maternal/filial love between mother and her toddler daughter! Happy 80th Birthday, Your Majesty! 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Vanity Fair did a really lovely profile of The Princess Royal:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/04/princess-anne-opens-up-about-her-lifetime-as-a-royal

What a great article on Princess Anne.   I absolutely love the tidbit about when she really lost it during the attempted kidnapping.   But the article is pure Anne to the point but very supportive of others.  For someone who famously said "You don't have to like children to care about them" its nice to know she is a hands on grandmother.   

Finally, Happy Birthday Queen Margrethe.

• Like 13

It should be noted that Queen Margrethe (who turned 80 yesterday) was born just one week AFTER the NAZIs occupied Denmark but her parents and grandfather Christian X all stayed in Denmark despite this and her grandfather in particular became a symbol for Danish resistance to the occupation. Thankfully, all four of them survived the war. Oh, it should be noted that until 1953 when the Danish constitution was amended, she was NOT in line to be monarch but her father's heir presumptive was his younger brother Knud. But  then the succession laws were changed then to allow eldest daughters to succeed if the monarch had no son (and in 2009, they were further altered so the eldest child could succeed regardless of gender) so Denmark has had a Queen Margrethe instead of a King Knud! 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

so Denmark has had a Queen Margrethe instead of a King Knud! 

Based on name alone I think they made the right choice. lol

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 13

2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The last listicle I posted seemed to be liked well enough, so how about another from the same site?

12 Royals Who Suffered from Hereditary Mutations and Defects Caused by Inbreeding.  Again, a few expected mentions on the list, (George III again, Queen Victoria), and another handful of either lesser-known or unexpected entries.

That was interesting, but I am not convinced that Joanna of Castile was as mad as the men around her claimed.  Her father, husband, and son all had reasons to play up her mental illness.  

• Like 4

On 4/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, BlackberryJam said:

That is one dishy 80-year-old. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The last listicle I posted seemed to be liked well enough, so how about another from the same site?

12 Royals Who Suffered from Hereditary Mutations and Defects Caused by Inbreeding.  Again, a few expected mentions on the list, (George III again, Queen Victoria), and another handful of either lesser-known or unexpected entries.

I wonder if Her Majesty is relieved that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren all have parents who are NOT closely related to each other. BTW, the late Princess of Wales WAS a documented   descendant (via a nonmarital progenitor) of the rather randy Charles II but that was a rather distant family link to the Windsors. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That was interesting, but I am not convinced that Joanna of Castile was as mad as the men around her claimed.  Her father, husband, and son all had reasons to play up her mental illness.  

Agree  that the badly abused Queen of Castille wasn't as deranged as all the above claimed but no one in their right mind has their late spouse's coffin carried around for TWO YEARS!  Even Queen Victoria who slept with Prince Albert's nightshirt for 39 years had the sense to have him entombed ASAP! 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Agree  that the badly abused Queen of Castille wasn't as deranged as all the above claimed but no one in their right mind has their late spouse's coffin carried around for TWO YEARS!  Even Queen Victoria who slept with Prince Albert's nightshirt for 39 years had the sense to have him entombed ASAP! 

I don't think she was completely sane.  I do think that the men in her life played up her mental illness and drove her over the edge.  If just one of them would have treated her with kindess, then I do think she would have been able to be at least an adequate ruler.  Instead they locked her up saying she was crazy, and she eventually became crazy from being locked up.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Warning, there are some NSFW images on the quoted linked page.

Re Queen Joanna of Castile, I recommend the film Mad Love (original Spanish title is Juana la Loca). There are some stunning moments depicting the development of her illness.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I clicked on it while thinking Carlos II was surely going to be #1, and there he is, being the introductory photo and first person.

His family tree was a nightmare. All his great-grandparents descended from Joanna of Castile and Philip I. Anna of Austria (the Duchess of Bavaria) was his great-great-aunt, great-great-great-aunt, great-great-great-grandmother and great-great-great-great-grandmother (twice over). He was his own mother's first cousin and his father's great-nephew. It's mind-boggling - he could have been in a room with 85 people and that would still be more people than are in the previous 8 generations of his family.

Edited by Luciano
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

Poor Beatrice.   If it weren't for bad luck, she wouldn't have any luck at all.   I realize she is not the only bride having to put off her wedding, but I still feel bad for her.

I see Kate is back to her striped breton sweater.   

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm not either. Yeah, I've heard the stories. But I'm always skeptical when it comes to stuff like that in the past. Sure she could be crazy. But it was also a very convenient way for her husband, father and son to steal her throne and power. They obviously couldn't use that she was a woman. Her mother had just ruled for twenty plus years and did a good job. So they went with crazy. How very convenient that Joanna became mad so husband, father and son could all end up with her power. Ferdinand and Philip signed a secret treaty that Juana shouldn't have power due to her being crazy. Although Ferdinand later rejected it claiming it was due to Juana losing her power (more likely he didn't end up getting the power he expected or try to use it as a reason why he should have the power he'd "defend" his daughters rights while her husband clearly wouldn't) it didn't matter because Philip was soon dead and he wasted no time stealing Juana's power for himself. Cause she was crazy you know. She did refused to sign the one that gave power back to her father and that it was against her will after he constrained her to make her give up power. Not that in mattered he got it anyways. That doesn't sound like someone crazy. That sounds like someone forced to give up her power. And she still manage to refuse and insist it was against her will. Which if she was crazy it seems unlike she'd be able to do. Plus if she was crazy why would he need to do that to try and get her to give up her rights? He'd just need a few ministers to see their Queen behaving crazy and that would be enough.  She was locked up and no one was allowed to see her. Again convenient. No one could dispute the crazy if no one could see her. She no doubt had issues and was probably depressed considering her mother having her suspended by a roper with weighs attached to her feet by Mommy's orders, treated like crap by her husband who stole her power and then Daddy who wouldn't? I've seen it come up in a few books but not a lot that Philip treated Joanna like crap after they were married. That he was abusive and had her locked in her rooms often. I've always wondered if that was true. Not that it would have been considered anything but normal in those times. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Poor Beatrice.   If it weren't for bad luck, she wouldn't have any luck at all.   I realize she is not the only bride having to put off her wedding, but I still feel bad for her.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of brides having to put off their weddings in these times do NOT have fathers accused of serious crimes against minors or mothers who appear to have no compunctions selling links their ex or eagerly associating with those widely believed to have committed serious crimes against others. 

Despite having drawn the two of the biggest lemons (if not the biggest) in the Windsor parental pool, somehow Princess Beatrice of York's only hashmarks have been to want to keep her associations with said progenitors despite their proven capacities to drag others down with them AND to wear hats guaranteed to draw ridicule. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

somehow Princess Beatrice of York's only hashmarks have been to want to keep her associations with said progenitors despite their proven capacities to drag others down with them AND to wear hats guaranteed to draw ridicule. 

I can't completely fault her for keeping her horrible parents in her life, they are her parents and it is often hard to just completely write off family, but the hat thing, that is all on her. She has to take full responsibility for her hat choices. 

Personally, I think the best thing she could do is take this as an opportunity to run off with her beloved, get hitched quietly and start a new life. The one she has may have some nice perks but it also has some godawful drawbacks. 

• Like 11

It is unfortunate for Beatrice but can't be helped and at least her wedding can be easily rescheduled - unlike my terminally ill cousin who was supposed to be getting married last week, but now won't get the chance. (That wedding was arranged in haste at less than 6 weeks notice when the very short prognosis was given - but within those six weeks, the whole world turned upside down). Beatrice will get another chance.

• Sad 19

On 4/14/2020 at 8:38 AM, BlackberryJam said:

When I saw that picture, I immediately wondered what size shoe she wears!  

• Like 2

OtterMommy

Everyone has stated their views on the Sussexes and no one is going to change anyone's mind.  Any further excessive bickering may lead to a temporary suspension of this thread.  If you do not agree with someone's opinion, please scroll to the next post.  If you feel the need to take a stronger action, please use the ignore function.