Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

8 hours ago, GaT said:

They're a really good looking couple.

Their son is gorgeous too, which doesn’t often happen with good-looking people.

25 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Saw this at fuggirls.

Queen Margrethe is the monarch we need.

Not the first time Her Majesty of Denmark has displayed her creativity or humor (and it should be noted that she illustrated a Danish version of Lord of the Rings), but it sure gave a needed laugh and we could ALL use those during these times! 

• Like 8

Pretty sure I saw all that on tumblr a week ago, which is a damn sad state for a royal instagram. 

I am seriously sick of platitudes from the privileged and wealthy. I want them sharing the cash or entertaining me. 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2

IMO, platitudes trying to keep the morale up of a frightened and confused world is FAR better than being oblivious and/or flat out saying 'Not my fault/ I don't CARE!'

At this time, I've been looking at history as a guide for how to survive this and encourage others and I have to say that re-reading the bio of Prince Phillip's mother, Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece has been rather inspirational- especially the part in which  she found herself in Athens right when the NAZIs invaded and she & an aging sister-in-law were the only members of the Greek royal family left there(and her daughters were in Germany while Phillip was in the British navy but himself frequently in harm's way via battle). She had been profoundly deaf from infancy, yet had learned to lipread and speak four very different languages fluently (German, English, French and Greek) and had had a severe mental breakdown for seven years that only was shaken by the death of her favorite daughter just two years before WWII began. 

Yet despite her deafness and very recent recovery from the breakdown AND her isolation and spotty income, she did all she could to help countless Athenian children and their parents be fed at a time when   at times over 1,000 children a DAY were dying of starvation during that brutal German occupation- not via ribbon-cutting but by organizing and personally working in  soup kitchens and orphan refuges which caused her to lose a great deal of weight and strained her physical health. She worked tirelessly to get food,medicine and other supplies so desperately needed by pulling every string and trick she could think of - rather than throw her hands up and declare things hopeless (and expect others to tend to her). She defied curfews and even stood up to the German commander by telling him he could take his troops out of her country when he asked her if there was anything he could do for her. Moreover, she was known to take in at least one Jewish family and protect them before getting them to safety despite the very real risks and dangers to herself that this alone greatly increased(and, though she kept this    quiet in her lifetime, this action would assist in her being eventually entombed in Jerusalem in the same church as her favorite aunt - the Grand Duchess Ella of Russia who'd founded a working order of nuns to feed Moscow's most destitute- and got murdered after being thrown  into a mineshaft by the Bolsheviks ).

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Speaking for myself, I LIKE this and think this was the right thing for them to have said (and was most sincere on their parts). 

• Like 23

Yes, and my point is that I have seen dozens of posts put together by people on Tumblr and done much better with more specifics. All of social media is inundated from information from mental health professionals and professionals services. The Cambridges are late to the party and put together something my 11 year old nephew could have done. 

No one needs the royals to compile a bare bones list of resources. We need the royals to provide a distraction.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

47 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

.  I have seen people complain they don't need to see celebrities in their homes performing because it is narcissistic and is obviously just feeds their need to be seen they should just be donating their piles of money if they want to be useful 'Get Off my Lawn!'   etc. etc.

Why, in times like these, are people even bothering with things they already know will annoy them?  Unless, of course, that’s the whole point. Which is . . . sad.  

• Like 20
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Yes, and my point is that I have seen dozens of posts put together by people on Tumblr and done much better with more specifics. All of social media is inundated from information from mental health professionals and professionals services. The Cambridges are late to the party and put together something my 11 year old nephew could have done. 

No one needs the royals to compile a bare bones list of resources. We need the royals to provide a distraction.

This was on the Sussexes’ social media, not the Cambridges’.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

This was on the Sussexes’ social media, not the Cambridges’.

I seriously find them interchangeable on this issue. 

I don’t really think anyone is looking to the royals for their mental health advice. And if someone is looking to the royals for that, that in itself is a problem. I’m happy to have them supporting various organizations through patronage, and with that, bringing cash to those organizations. But the whole “I feel _______” fill in the blank is just ....silly coming from royals. I expect more from them. 

ALL of instagram is attention-whoring. I mean, no one needs to look at pictures of every mani/pedi someone has ever gotten. Same thing with Twitter. People sharing their thoughts for attention. There is no social media that isn’t out there screaming for attention. But here’s the thing, I give that attention when it’s entertaining. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I'd rather see a bare bones list of help than a bunch of rich people telling people who are losing their jobs and running out of resources to imagine a world with no possessions. lol 

I never really paid attention to the lyrics of “Imagine” before I heard about that video and hoo-boy is that tone deaf. I am getting tired of these viral videos of celebs from their luxury homes who, apart from the health risk and inconvenience of having to stay in will know no trouble from this. They aren’t going to be laid off or risk losing their homes because their job shut down. Stop acting like we are are in this together because the truth is that, after quarantine, you will be able to go back to making your loads of money. I know there are some celebrities that probably do just want to do whatever they can to break up the monotony and give some laughs to fans, but the cynical part of me just feels like it’s more about taking advantage of a captive audience for the clicks and attention.

To bring it back to the British Royal Family, I like that the Sussexes gave attention to resources for mental health with their platform. It’s focused on helping others, with tangible things people can do. That is what people need right now: tangible actions, such as giving support or telling people where they can obtain support.

• Like 12

19 hours ago, Dani said:

Platitudes? They were encouraging people struggling to reach out to crisis hotlines. 

I'm happy Harry and Meghan included information for victims of intimate partner violence who are having to isolate/quarantine with their abusers. It's a nightmare situation and there's a lot of confusion and lack of information regarding what options a victim might have (it's my understanding that in the states you can still get an order of protection but I'm not sure how any of that works in the UK).

• Like 19

Let me be clear. I didn’t see the Sussex post because I was looking at instagram. Or following them on instagram. I saw it here, where it was posted. And commented on it here, where we post about the royals. This isn’t a “don’t like, don’t follow” issue.

If it hadn’t been posted here, it’s unlikely I would have seen it at all and I have never, ever in my social media history, commented negatively on someone’s Instagram no matter how idiotic their post may be.

• Like 8

Instagram is perfect for following the royals.   It's mostly pictures with captions of what's in the picture.   You can see the pretty clothes, the gorgeous jewels and ask "what is that thing on Maxima's head" without getting into commentary about who is in and who is out, who "broke" royal protocol this week, etc.   

The Swedish Royal family have mostly been photographed in meetings about the crisis.   Let me say CP Victoria can ROCK a suit.   Seriously.   

• Like 7

I do follow those royals. CP Victoria is doing a great job of looking engaged. Daniel's handwashing video  Oscar and Estelle was charming. I did see Willem Alexander meeting with an ambassador I think and they're all doing social distancing. It was hilarious.

• Like 3

We all said "Why are they out and about and shaking hands?   Why aren't they protecting themselves?"    They had to be seen "carrying on" in order to improve morale.   When what they needed to be doing was setting the example.   It wasn't until AFTER the Commonwealth Day celebrations that the Queen finally stopped her public engagements.   HOw many people did Charles possibly infect?

I must say the Swedish Royal Family handled this very well.   They cut public engagements immediately.   They are mostly photographed in crisis meetings, instead of ribbon cuttings right now.   They even put out of the video of Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar washing their hands.   Imagine if the British Royal Family did that?    A televised message by the Queen to stay the hell home.   Charles meeting with leading doctors -- six feet apart of course.   Charlotte and George washing their hands.    

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Camille said:

Mother of God. . .

Not to mention the Prince of Wales OWN mother and   sons are likely a bit anxious about what will happen next (and whether the symptoms will STAY 'mild')!

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Camilla has to be scared not only for her husband, but for her own sake - she's a lifelong smoker.  She may have a compromised respiratory system already.

There's been talk that the Queen is going to do some sort of address to the nation.  If she does an address, they should tack on videos the other members of the RF have done from where they are hunkered down.  A "we're all in this together" message.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Camilla has to be scared not only for her husband, but for her own sake - she's a lifelong smoker.  She may have a compromised respiratory system already.

There's been talk that the Queen is going to do some sort of address to the nation.  If she does an address, they should tack on videos the other members of the RF have done from where they are hunkered down.  A "we're all in this together" message.  

According to this article, Camilla was negative. I hope for her sake she keeps away from Charles for now.

• Like 11

Sending good wishes to Charles and everyone else infected.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2020 at 12:37 AM, Hiyo said:

When it comes to the media? Probably not.

Good thing I wasn't talking about the media, but H&M as well as all the Commonwealth.  It would have made a huge difference to them.

• Like 2

And what could the Queen have done, exactly?

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

<snip>

I must say the Swedish Royal Family handled this very well.   They cut public engagements immediately.   They are mostly photographed in crisis meetings, instead of ribbon cuttings right now.   They even put out of the video of Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar washing their hands.   Imagine if the British Royal Family did that?    A televised message by the Queen to stay the hell home.   Charles meeting with leading doctors -- six feet apart of course.   Charlotte and George washing their hands.    

I need to help from more experienced royal watchers to enable my continuing descent into possible madness. After the video of Estelle and Oscar washing their hands was mentioned upthread, I went looking for it. I even ventured into the wilds of Instagram, where I found a couple of still photos. Same thing when I fell down the rabbit hole of websites for Hola and its kind. Would one of you kind souls post a link to the video, or point me in the right direction?

By the way, remembering comments here in less stressful times about the potential for cuteness overload/future royal unions, I have decided that the royal couple I would love to see (starting as friends, growing into a great love story in ~15 years) is Princess Estelle and Princess Charlotte. Charlotte and Oscar can be adorable co-conspirators, making mischief together, of course (to the fond amusement of George and Estelle).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

And what could the Queen have done, exactly?

I already said what she could have done several posts back.  I think we've beaten this horse to death now, lol.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:19 PM, theredhead77 said:

I for one LOVE that Harry & Meghan posted some texting links. I'm really struggling with the social distancing, isolation and feeling trapped (I'm safe - it's not that I'm trapped with someone, just a mental 'trapped at in a state far from family).

THIS.  I have been struggling too.  I'm an extrovert and it has been hard since I live alone and am away from family too.  Work is fine and I'm healthy but I'm tired a lot more because what I usually get back from being around people I'm not getting back. And running design thinking workshops and ideation sessions is exhausting when it's done completely virtually. And my team did THREE last week.  I didn't think I would make it.  So that Sussex post was really helpful.  Also - that #ClubQuarantine that DJ Dnice put on last weekend literally "saved my life" ("last night a DJ saved my liiiiffeeeeee...").  He's still spinning - this weekend will probably be lit!  We hit 200k people on Sunday!  Michelle Obama, Mariah Carey, Queen Latifah, LL Cool J and so many other folks showed up.  It was amazing to be there and then some of my friends saw me and texted me - it helped us all feel connected even though we're all far flung.

3 hours ago, Titania said:

Praying he has a speedy recovery.  This is so unfortunate and I really hope he pulls through.  I hope Camilla stays away so she doesn't get sick.  This virus doesn't care who you are... Such scary times.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Camille said:

Leave it to Fergie to put her foot in her mouth:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sarah-ferguson-tweets-coronavirus-mother-114929445.html

I'm assuming she wrote this before she knew Charles was ill, but even if not, it's still an incredibly rude thing to post.

I wish I could say I was surprised but this is someone who praised her ex-husband and the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia as great people AFTER all the troubling allegations re serious crimes came to light! Seriously, I see no reason for her to stay linked the Royals once her elder daughter gets married (and if Princess Beatrice decides to cut her parents off the guest list, I'd raise no objections).  If Prince Phillip has heard about this latest gaffe (and is still of fairly sound mind), no doubt he'd feel vindicated! 

P.S. This also somewhat unfairly puts a burden on  us  environmentally conscientious folks to have say ' She does NOT speak for me!' or else risk getting tarred by the same brush.

P.P.S. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Camille said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sarah-ferguson-tweets-coronavirus-mother-114929445.html

I'm assuming she wrote this before she knew Charles was ill, but even if not, it's still an incredibly rude thing to post.

She’s not the only one saying this or stuff similar to it. I have seen many people sharing posts on Facebook about how great everyone staying home is for the environment. Meanwhile, I’m here like...

E1273752-1BC3-45FF-B3BD-21E9733D6D7B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 11

10 hours ago, Titania said:

Holy shit, I bet there's a whole lot of scrambling around William now, & he must (besides being worried about his father dying) be worried about the future a good deal more. I don't think he's ready to become King.

5 hours ago, Camille said:

That's right, besides reminding people what a friggin' moron you are, make sure to bring the attention around to your ex, the sexual assaulter, who lets you live rent free on his estate, & your daughter, whose wedding has been screwed up enough by her father. At this rate Beatrice is going to just give up & enter a nunnery.

• Like 5

Don't hate me but I checked on the Daily Fail's website - wanted to see what their spin on Charles' positive test and holy freaking crap!  They have a story (an "exclusive" mind you) that Meghan won't let Harry go to the UK to be at his sick father's bedside.  That's just the headline - I haven't and will not click on the story.  How can anyone who makes this shit up live with themselves?  It's wrong on so many levels, first and foremost the fact that Charles loves his children and would never want one of them to put himself at risk.  You would think that a worldwide pandemic might lessen their obsession, but nope!  It's still open season on Meghan.   

• Like 10
  • Sad 4

40 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Don't hate me but I checked on the Daily Fail's website - wanted to see what their spin on Charles' positive test and holy freaking crap!  They have a story (an "exclusive" mind you) that Meghan won't let Harry go to the UK to be at his sick father's bedside.

Of course they do.

• Like 4

I'm bringing this over from the Misc Celebrity thread, so apologies if this has already been covered:

@Katy M posted in regard to who is next in line after Louis: 

Yeah, then it will be really messed up.  will Harry get back in?  Will they take Archie without Harry?  I assume Andrew's out.  But what about his daughters?  

Fortunately, I doubt that this is anything more than hypothetical.  I'd hate to think of something to William AND all his kids.  But, to keep this hypothetical going...

Did Harry officially give up any claim to the throne?  I would think, should the absolutely worst happen, heaven and Earth will be moved to get Harry instead of Andrew on the throne.  Heck, Edward would  be preferable.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Don't hate me but I checked on the Daily Fail's website - wanted to see what their spin on Charles' positive test and holy freaking crap!  They have a story (an "exclusive" mind you) that Meghan won't let Harry go to the UK to be at his sick father's bedside.  That's just the headline - I haven't and will not click on the story.  How can anyone who makes this shit up live with themselves?  It's wrong on so many levels, first and foremost the fact that Charles loves his children and would never want one of them to put himself at risk.  You would think that a worldwide pandemic might lessen their obsession, but nope!  It's still open season on Meghan.   

5 minutes ago, Domenicholas said:

Of course they do.

What’s the betting if Harry and Meghan, or William and Kate for that matter, did come to see Charles, they would lambasted over how dangerous it was and how selfish it was to use their position to see their sick father when others aren’t able to see their relatives suffering from the virus.

It’s in the same vein of how the public seems to love the fancy dresses and glamour of the royals, then decry the privilege, then also would call the royal women “frumpy” or worse if they went out in normal workaday clothes. This family just can’t win with the press...

• Like 17

34 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Did Harry officially give up any claim to the throne? 

I don't believe so. He and Archie are still behind Louie and ahead of Andrew in the line of succession.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Did Harry officially give up any claim to the throne?  I would think, should the absolutely worst happen, heaven and Earth will be moved to get Harry instead of Andrew on the throne.  Heck, Edward would  be preferable.

No. It would take an act of parliament to remove him from the line of succession. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

She’s not the only one saying this or stuff similar to it. I have seen many people sharing posts on Facebook about how great everyone staying home is for the environment. Meanwhile, I’m here like...

Don’t really go on social media. I live in an Atlanta suburb and I have asthma, allergies and other immune stuff. March and April are hard on me with all the pollen and smog. No code red smog alert days yet this year and I can actually go out for long walks in my neighborhood with everything blooming (only way I can get out because of my immune system). Usually I would be choking without an inhaler but I have been fine and breathing easily because of the reduced smog.

People being unemployed is so horrible for the economy and our way of life but I hope after this more employers realize the benefits of teleworking for those jobs where this is feasible. And I am hoping they realize that many (not all) employees are more productive when they don’t spend 2-3 hours a day driving in traffic.

My last project (I do consulting work) at our final report out, the head of the agency said “do I have to let people telecommute?” I said yes, if want to retain them... now I would unnecessarily not have to say - and if you want them to continue to work while under quarantine.

For all those hard working, exhausted health care, emergency services and essential services (I.e., grocery store employees) I can never do or say enough to tell you how much you are appreciated and at great risk to yourselves - you are all huge heroes.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Like 20
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

No hate from this corner of lockdown (NYC, the new epicenter)!

Clearly, the DF doesn't understand the concept of "social distancing." Not a surprise, really, as they are also unclear on the concepts of "human decency" and "truth."

• Like 18

1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

I'm bringing this over from the Misc Celebrity thread, so apologies if this has already been covered:

@Katy M posted in regard to who is next in line after Louis: 

Fortunately, I doubt that this is anything more than hypothetical.  I'd hate to think of something to William AND all his kids.  But, to keep this hypothetical going...

Harry is in line before Andrew so that would never happen.  Harry is still 6th in line - he didn't give up his place in the line of succession and he was never in danger of losing his place because it would take an act of parliament to remove him. All he did was refuse public funding.  This idea that Harry "abdicated" in any way is tabloid trash and lies.

Even though they pushed the idea that The Queen was considering removing Harry or whatnot, I can guarantee that thought NEVER crossed The Queen's mind or anyone else in in the palace - because to remove him would take an act of parliament and they would never want to open that can of worms - since Andrew would be the first casualty.  PH hasn't done a thing wrong except try to protect his family.  I still bothers me that he was demonized for it just like Meghan was demonized by a vicious and bloodthirsty press.

Meghan never had a chance and in the end, neither did Harry.

Edited by phoenics
  • Like 19

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

They have a story (an "exclusive" mind you) that Meghan won't let Harry go to the UK to be at his sick father's bedside.  That's just the headline - I haven't and will not click on the story.  How can anyone who makes this shit up live with themselves?  It's wrong on so many levels, first and foremost the fact that Charles loves his children and would never want one of them to put himself at risk.  You would think that a worldwide pandemic might lessen their obsession, but nope!  It's still open season on Meghan.   

I knew that was coming. Pricks. And even if it were true, it couldn't possibly be because Meghan quite reasonably fears her husband and consequently she and their son becoming ill.

• Like 10

I'm not sure what people would expect Harry to do in England that he can't do in Canada. It's not like he can hang about at his dad's bedside. For the moment, staying safe in Canada in isolation is the best thing that Harry can do. I'm sure William and his kids are also staying far away from Charles, because duh. 

• Like 17

Just now, Minneapple said:

I'm not sure what people would expect Harry to do in England that he can't do in Canada. It's not like he can hang about at his dad's bedside. For the moment, staying safe in Canada in isolation is the best thing that Harry can do. I'm sure William and his kids are also staying far away from Charles, because duh. 

Well yeah - when you apply logic and sense to the situation ... duh!! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

9 minutes ago, Zella said:

The dialogue running through my head:

"Boris, do you ever brush your hair?"

"No, Your Majesty."

Boris: Are those corgis on your desk or are you just glad to see me?

QE2: You make me miss Maggie T.

• Laugh 12

Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.