Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Nope, you're wrong 😁

Sarah-Jessica-Parker-Eye-Shadow-Met-Gala

Is that a gold manger on the top of SJP's head? That is insane . I'm assuming that was at some Met Gala .

• Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

47 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Is that a gold manger on the top of SJP's head? That is insane . I'm assuming that was at some Met Gala .

Yep, the 2018 Met Gala

Well, isn’t this all a pisser?! Will/Kate seem happy; Harry/Meghan are out of sight but assume happy. Biggest tabloid news is unknown Queen grandson is getting a divorce. Alls quiet on royalty front. Hmmmmm, possible Harry/ Meghan right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oosala said:

I was wondering if anyone knew what the people of England feel about Harry's decision to step down and live abroad.  Does the majority support him and what he has chosen to do?  I'm just curious.  I suppose the older Britons feel somewhat betrayed and the younger Britons don't give a darn.  Obviously it's more complicated than that but has anyone found information on this?  Thanks!

I can't speak for the whole of the UK in general, but my personal reaction was to shrug, say, "Good for them," and carry on with my own life. It hasn't been a topic of conversation among anyone in my acquaintance, which covers a broad age demographic, so I'd say that in my part of the UK, at least, no one is really all that bothered.

ETA and I'll just note for the record that there are more nations within the UK than simply England 😉 

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, Llywela said:

I can't speak for the whole of the UK in general, but my personal reaction was to shrug, say, "Good for them," and carry on with my own life. It hasn't been a topic of conversation among anyone in my acquaintance, which covers a broad age demographic, so I'd say that in my part of the UK, at least, no one is really all that bothered.

ETA and I'll just note for the record that there are more nations within the UK than simply England 😉 

Not a Brit at all, but I would venture to guess this is probably pretty accurate.   The only ones who really cared were the rabid anti-monarchists who think the whole lot should be tossed and the rabid racists who are pissed they can't pick on them anymore.   Everyone else is "eh, that's nice, gotta get up for work in the morning, carry on."

7 hours ago, pennben said:

Well, isn’t this all a pisser?! Will/Kate seem happy; Harry/Meghan are out of sight but assume happy. Biggest tabloid news is unknown Queen grandson is getting a divorce. Alls quiet on royalty front. Hmmmmm, possible Harry/ Meghan right?

Harry admitted he has been in therapy.   I gotta believe it was his therapist who told him he had to get out for his own mental health.   That it wasn't going to change (see above).   This move was alllllllll Harry driven.    Now we are back to the usual stuff.    The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall did a joint event with the Cambridges.   The Queen opened something or other.   Countess of Wessex visited somewhere.    You know, the usual going to vist some place and admire it, unveil a plaque, then leave.   All very quiet, calm and orderly.   

• Like 15

Alls quiet on royalty front. Hmmmmm, possible Harry/ Meghan right?

It would seem. But of course the tabloids and Meghan haters will claim this means they were right, that she was the single disruptive influence. Now that she's out of sight (for the moment, anyway) a cease fire of sorts has been achieved.

• Sad 4

There is plenty going on with various royals. The Phillips’ divorce is ripe for drama. The Luxembourg report is dishy. Fred and Mary are getting caught for their AirBNB income. People just aren’t into discussing that here.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

There is plenty going on with various royals. The Phillips’ divorce is ripe for drama. The Luxembourg report is dishy. Fred and Mary are getting caught for their AirBNB income. People just aren’t into discussing that here.

I think the AirBnB income is just a kerfluffle.   The Phillips divorce is "oh well people divorce all the time."   But the Luxembourg report -- oh my.   That's let them eat cake territory.    THIS will harm the ruling family (not skipping nylons or crossing your legs wrong).     I want to dish on that one so much.   

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

There is plenty going on with various royals. The Phillips’ divorce is ripe for drama.

I find the timing of the announcement interesting in light of his Chinese milk commercial.

• Like 2

Oh that commercial is hilarious. Of course, it’s fine to do commercials in Asia...those are totally secret and all that.

I have not had time to really did into the Lux report. Overall, doesn’t the royal family have a pretty poor reputation?

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 2

Having recently finished Know My Name, I have nothing but disgust for Stanford and any of its efforts to rehab its image.

I need Maxima in a hat for serious royal joy.

• Like 1

Just an FYI here, folks: Links to Daily Mail stories are allowed on this forum. If you would like to debate the editorial slant of the article, you are welcome to do so. What you are not allowed to do is admonish other members for linking to that site.

• Like 10

Look. Here's Carl Phillip looking FINE.

This photo of the Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg from their wedding, no matter how lovely, is not going to distract people from the report.

• Like 6

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:30 AM, merylinkid said:

Harry admitted he has been in therapy.   I gotta believe it was his therapist who told him he had to get out for his own mental health.   [snip]   This move was alllllllll Harry driven. 

This 100%.  Couldn't agree more and I had the exact same thought.  I've been in therapy for most of my adult life and, while therapists usually don't tell people what to do unless it's, say, a reportable situation or the patient's life is endangered, they guide their patients to making healthy choices for themselves on their own.  To Harry, the RF was toxic.  His therapist realized this.  End result -- Harry steps away from the RF.

I live in California and attend an EastEnders meet-up (don't laugh).  At our last meeting, everyone was blaming Meghan for the move and giving their marriage 2-5 years!  I tried to talk sense but was over-ruled.  Their marriage will last forever because Harry did what he needed to do.

Edited to add this Note to Self:  Don't read the Daily Mail comments.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 10

26 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Okay, I'll bite. What's going on in Luxembourg?

Waringo Report reveals a culture of fear dominates Luxembourg’s Grand Ducal Court

The report revealed that actually 51 members of staff were either fired or resigned between 2014 and 2019. Waringo said that the atmosphere amongst the staff was of fear and suggested that future recruitment be signed by the Prime Minister....

The staff is at a constant state of unease and always overly cautious about what they say. The workplace, the report stated, is not a happy place. Waringo said that staff were often ill, looking for other work, suffering anxiety or under pressure.

It’s not mentioned in this article but there have been allegations that The Grand Duchess has physically assaulted the staff. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 8
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Dani said:

Waringo Report reveals a culture of fear dominates Luxembourg’s Grand Ducal Court

It’s not mentioned in this article but there have been allegations great The Grand Duchess has physically assaulted the staff. 

Here is a link to the actual report. 

https://download.rtl.lu/2020/01/31/fe5f4bd1c9c02cfb1280d71b0f4e57b5.pdf

I cannot find the translated version. 

The report has an organizational chart that eliminates the role of the Grand Duchess and the public prosecutor is investigating the abuse allegations.

Link

I'm still trying to find out the dirty details. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s not mentioned in this article but there have been allegations great The Grand Duchess has physically assaulted the staff. 

So, shouldn't they be relieved she spends a good part of the year in Paris instead of citing that as a reason for the Grand Duke to abdicate? No, of course I'm not advocating anyone mistreating employees and that needs to be stopped to the best of that nation's  ability .However, IMO, one can't have it both ways saying that when  she's there she mistreats servants yet getting upset about her not  NOT being there as often as possible. 

• Like 1

I think it's more of, "why should she get the benefits of being a Lux royal when she won't even live there and verbalizes that she doesn't like the country?" GD Maria Teresa is originally from Cuba, so it's not like she grew up with any affinity for Luxembourg.

She gave an interview to the press dragging her mother in law, who might well have been a nightmare. But still, ripping on the previous Grand Duchess in the press was not a classy move. 

The Grand Duke has been called out for selling his mother's jewelry not too long after her death, or trying to sell things, and trying to sell property. 

GDMT will skip out on state events.

There have been news reports calling her the Demon Duchess.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

So, shouldn't they be relieved she spends a good part of the year in Paris instead of citing that as a reason for the Grand Duke to abdicate? No, of course I'm not advocating anyone mistreating employees and that needs to be stopped to the best of that nation's  ability .However, IMO, one can't have it both ways saying that when  she's there she mistreats servants yet getting upset about her not  NOT being there as often as possible. 

I wouldn’t assume that her being in Paris means that she no longer mistreating staff. Even if she independently employs her Paris staff there is probably at least a small number who travel with her. I really doubt she takes into account the impact of travel on her security and personal secretaries. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I wouldn’t assume that her being in Paris means that she no longer mistreating staff. Even if she independently employs her Paris staff there is probably at least a small number who travel with her. I really doubt she takes into account the impact of travel on her security and personal secretaries. 

OK, but still the bulk of the Luxembourgeois  staff would be staying IN Luxembourg the whole time and NOT be with her , Thus, surely they'd have to be relieved instead of being upset at her not being there when she's in Paris. Yes, it's also likely the Grand Duchess may not treat any Parisian based staff nicely either but they'd have more potential employers to pitch their skills to than their counterparts in Luxembourg so she may not be as unpleasant to them. 

11 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, but still the bulk of the Luxembourgeois  staff would be staying IN Luxembourg the whole time and NOT be with her , Thus, surely they'd have to be relieved instead of being upset at her not being there when she's in Paris. Yes, it's also likely the Grand Duchess may not treat any Parisian based staff nicely either but they'd have more potential employers to pitch their skills to than their counterparts in Luxembourg so she may not be as unpleasant to them. 

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Those citing her being in Paris as a problem are not the ones her are impacted by her behavior. The Luxembourg staff may throw a party when she leaves but that’s not really a factor in making a decision. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 1

The issue may be, "The consort of our sovereign spends most of her time in another country, doing nothing for us and spending our tithes abroad. And when she's here, she abuses the only Luxembourgers she sees: her servants."

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Pallas said:

The issue may be, "The consort of our sovereign spends most of her time in another country, doing nothing for us and spending our tithes aboard. And when she's here, she abuses the only Luxembourgers she sees: her servants."

This.    She does travel with servants.   Who are not only away from their families for long periods of time, but also abused by her.    In a foreign country where they would have to seek help from their embassy.   Who work for her husband in theory .....

the current Grand Duchess is a holy terror.   But damn, eliminating the job.   That is some serious happenings.   The consort is always going to be involved, job title or not.

• Like 5

Since France and Luxembourg are both members of the EU, I'm not sure any Luxembourgeous servants who'd travel with the Grand Duchess to Paris would be as helpless as say a  servant of a United Emirates royal in the UK. Also, the BULK of the servants in Luxembourg would have to stay there to maintain things and not jaunt to Paris with the Grand Duchess (and it's likely she'd be able to hire French citizen servants in Paris). Yes, for those few Luxembourgeous servants who actually have to be WITH her in Paris, it can't actually be any fun but I don't think this covers the bulk of their staff by any means. 

29 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Since France and Luxembourg are both members of the EU, I'm not sure any Luxembourgeous servants who'd travel with the Grand Duchess to Paris would be as helpless as say a  servant of a United Emirates royal in the UK. Also, the BULK of the servants in Luxembourg would have to stay there to maintain things and not jaunt to Paris with the Grand Duchess (and it's likely she'd be able to hire French citizen servants in Paris). Yes, for those few Luxembourgeous servants who actually have to be WITH her in Paris, it can't actually be any fun but I don't think this covers the bulk of their staff by any means. 

I’m still not sure I understand your point. Is it that the report shouldn’t be complaining about her being in Paris because fewer people are abused while she’s there? That may be true but not really relevant because the goal should be no one abused at all. The goal can’t be to simply minimize the abuse.

Plus, as other have pointed out, if the she is receiving money to live somewhere else it’s a problem. The report didn’t just address the staffing issues that’s just getting the most attention because it’s the most pressing and sensational issue. It also raised concerns over the lack of financial transparency. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 2

Yesterday, Meghan and Harry visited Stanford University and brainstormed (ideated) with academics and professors about their foundation.  Stanford's d.school is also the #1 place in the world for problem solving via design innovation. 

https://www.today.com/news/prince-harry-meghan-markle-visit-stanford-university-t173943

Since Harry's interviews about his work with Travelyst, I suspected someone on his and Meghan's team understood Stanford's brand of design innovation because their approach sounded a lot like it (I recognize it because I do this for a living). 

Anyway - their visit to Stanford pretty much convinced me they are taking a much more innovative approach to their foundation.  Kudos.  The facts are that startups (including charities) more often fail than not (as evidenced by one of Kate's patronages folding due to financial issues and another RF one about to fold due to the same, which is a shame), so thinking about how you approach problems and how you innovate through them is important.  It's hard to keep these orgs going - but a pro-innovation culture and human-centered one are proven indicators of success.  Stanford's d.school basically perfected this method, so DDoS are definitely on the right track to escape the high startup failure rate others haven't navigated so well.

Well done DDoS!

• Like 13

This seems like a non traditional thing for a royal to do. If I was a Mom I would definitely listen. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, phoenics said:

as evidenced by one of Kate's patronages folding due to financial issues and another RF one about to fold due to the same, which is a shame),

Do tell .......

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Do tell .......

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51308708

According to records, Kate hasn't visited the patronage since 2017 (she could have done private visits, however).

And FYI - I hope the 5 big questions survey has controls on the analysis end because anyone from anywhere in the world could take it and it didn't have any controls to ensure participants who responded were parents.  Maybe they can clean the data (though it's impossible to clean if people who weren't parents took it).

Edited by phoenics
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Yet another friend of Andrew's (another friend whose home Andrew has stayed at, I should add) is accused of trafficking teenage girls.

I saw an article today criticizing the Sussexes for not coming back to the UK for Andrew's birthday party and I haven't been able to stop shaking my head since.  There are few people less worth "celebrating" right now than Andrew.  Beatrice's wedding is going to be interesting.

• Like 8
  • Surprise 2

1 hour ago, Steph J said:

Yet another friend of Andrew's (another friend whose home Andrew has stayed at, I should add) is accused of trafficking teenage girls.

I saw an article today criticizing the Sussexes for not coming back to the UK for Andrew's birthday party and I haven't been able to stop shaking my head since.  There are few people less worth "celebrating" right now than Andrew.  Beatrice's wedding is going to be interesting.

Keep that link. Because curiously all the U.K. publications who initially ran the story, have had their headlines changed and it scrapped from the cover. Wonder who had the muscle to have that done. 

7 hours ago, slf said:

Damn. Good job, Meghan.

Like a boss... 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This seems like a non traditional thing for a royal to do. If I was a Mom I would definitely listen. 

I am always surprised by Kate’s voice.

Isn’t the point of Kate’s Five Questions not to gather accurate data but rather to spark a national conversation? I mean, don’t get be wrong here, being as how I chose a happy and fulfilling life made happier and more fulfilling by keeping far, far away from children, I’m not fussed about early childhood initiatives. In theory and how that can improve the world as a whole, sure, but individually? My caring level is low.

Andrew is such a creeper, but he is going to face no legal repercussions from his actions. Can’t they cancel all his birthdays?

I stand by my anti-Stanford stance. Nothing about anyone’s association with that university impresses me. 

• Like 2

Oh that's too bad about the Art Room.    It seemed like a good program.   Guess even Royal Patronage can't make a difference in fundraising.   

As for Andrew, it's just amazing how his personal friends turn out to be pedophiles and/or human rights abusers.    Poor man.   Just taken in by so many people (sarcasm ON).

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

34 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh that's too bad about the Art Room.    It seemed like a good program.   Guess even Royal Patronage can't make a difference in fundraising.   

As for Andrew, it's just amazing how his personal friends turn out to be pedophiles and/or human rights abusers.    Poor man.   Just taken in by so many people (sarcasm ON).

Vultures of a feather and it's not just water that seeks it own level. Good for the Sussexes for SKIPPING any kind of celebration for the Duke of York! 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, Steph J said:

So shocking that these creeps hang out together- NOT!

Yes I do think Beatrice’s wedding will be interesting. I wonder if TLC will air it (I’m thinking yes). I do think the Sussexes will arrive and attend the reception- nothing makes me think Harry holds ill will towards his cousin, but they will likely skip out as soon as it’s over. 

• Like 8

However, IMO, one can't have it both ways saying that when  she's there she mistreats servants yet getting upset about her not  NOT being there as often as possible. 

Why can't she do both? Stop mistreating the servants AND be there as often as possible?

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I mean, seriously now.

GettyImages-960147228.jpg

At least the hat on the left actually provides some shade.

• Laugh 7

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I do think Beatrice’s wedding will be interesting. I wonder if TLC will air it (I’m thinking yes). I do think the Sussexes will arrive and attend the reception- nothing makes me think Harry holds ill will towards his cousin, but they will likely skip out as soon as it’s over. 

Beatrice’s wedding is going to be private. I’m sure there will still be paparazzi camped out but there will be nothing for TLC to air. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Dani said:

Beatrice’s wedding is going to be private. I’m sure there will still be paparazzi camped out but there will be nothing for TLC to air. 

Oh okay thank you!

On 2/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, BlackberryJam said:

Here is a link to the actual report. 

https://download.rtl.lu/2020/01/31/fe5f4bd1c9c02cfb1280d71b0f4e57b5.pdf

I cannot find the translated version. 

The report has an organizational chart that eliminates the role of the Grand Duchess and the public prosecutor is investigating the abuse allegations.

Link

I'm still trying to find out the dirty details. 

You can put the whole report through Google translate and it works well: link.

The issue with the staff, beyond the proximity she would need to actually terrorize in person, is that she had a major role in the organization of the court - so staffing decisions, departmental divisions, etc. So whether from Paris or Luxembourg, major decisions went through her. Luxembourg's PM stated that her role should be purely representational. She was taking on an important task that she was not entitled to and she was creating a fearful atmosphere while doing so because people's jobs depended on whatever whims she had.

That's why the court's new organizational chart explicitly excludes her. It's probably partly also why there is a greater need for transparency between the public spending and the private spending because when a grand duchess is butting into the organization of the court, which is publically funded, she's now involved in the spending of money that she should not be overseeing.

This is the Lux government reaffirming that she is just the consort, her role is to represent her husband and country, not insert herself in the organization of the court.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.