Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks. I edited my post. Just goes to show that teevee personalities aren’t the only ones who don’t verify!

At least is was a story that did hit the mainstream news, even if it got debunked quickly.  My local (as in small town local) radio station is really bad about passing along news from satirical websites as real news.  At first I thought it was meant to be joke news.  It isn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Love her hair. She looks as good in that dress now as she did the first time she wore it.

I'd say this time was an improvement over the last time. In 2012, Middleton wore her hair half up/half down with the ends curled a bit, just as my mom always styled my hair for school pictures. Her eye makeup was either silver or a light grey that clashed and her accessories were just a little too matchy. She looked lovely in the dress in 2012, don't get me wrong, but whenever royals or politicians wear couture by someone like Alexander McQueen they either pick the really boring stuff or they do pick something interesting but then accessorize and style their hair/makeup in a very basic way. It really dresses down the outfit. I get why but it's still always disappointing. Everything, from the hair to the eye makeup to her accessories, is much better this time around.

The shoulders are more structured now, which I really like, and I can't tell if that's just because it was tailored or if it's because she lost some weight (which is obvious).119474?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

Edited by slf
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, slf said:

I'd say this time was an improvement over the last time. In 2012, Middleton wore her hair half up/half down with the ends curled a bit, just as my mom always styled my hair for school pictures. Her eye makeup was either silver or a light grey that clashed and her accessories were just a little too matchy. She looked lovely in the dress in 2012, don't get me wrong, but whenever royals or politicians wear couture by someone like Alexander McQueen they either pick the really boring stuff or they do pick something interesting but then accessorize and style their hair/makeup in a very basic way. It really dresses down the outfit. I get why but it's still always disappointing. Everything, from the hair to the eye makeup to her accessories, is much better this time around.

The shoulders are more structured now, which I really like, and I can't tell if that's just because it was tailored or if it's because she lost some weight (which is obvious).119474?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

Thanks for posting the additional photos. I liked the dress based on the previous picture, but seeing it from this angle? Damn. I love it!!!

In other news, Prince William gave a sweet reply to one of Charlotte's admirers:

https://people.com/royals/prince-william-has-the-best-response-when-a-fan-tells-him-princess-charlotte-is-her-favorite/amp/

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

The first time Kate wore that dress was either the day of or the day after those topless photos were posted. I would think she'd want to burn that memory from her brain, but I'm glad she wore the dress. And that necklace is really flattering.

I am loving that Kate is moving a bit away from the "blowout parted down the middle." It's such a tired style.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'Enjoying Quiet Life' in Canada: 'A Weight Has Been Lifted,' Says Friend

I always wonder about these "friends".  Is this a way for the celebrity involved to control the narrative or are there really insiders who talk positively to the media without the approval or knowledge of said celebrity?

Anyway whatever the answer I hope the story is true and that they're enjoying the new life they are starting to carve out for themselves.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

 I hope the story is true and that they're enjoying the new life they are starting to carve out for themselves.

Me, too - and if you subscribe to the theory of the royal brooches, then Queen Elizabeth feels the same way given her wearing the sapphire snowflake brooch to church last week (the brooch was a gift from Canada to the queen celebrating her 65th year on the throne, and the 150th year of Confederation). 

brooch.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, slf said:

I'd say this time was an improvement over the last time. In 2012, Middleton wore her hair half up/half down with the ends curled a bit, just as my mom always styled my hair for school pictures. Her eye makeup was either silver or a light grey that clashed and her accessories were just a little too matchy. She looked lovely in the dress in 2012, don't get me wrong, but whenever royals or politicians wear couture by someone like Alexander McQueen they either pick the really boring stuff or they do pick something interesting but then accessorize and style their hair/makeup in a very basic way. It really dresses down the outfit. I get why but it's still always disappointing. Everything, from the hair to the eye makeup to her accessories, is much better this time around.

The shoulders are more structured now, which I really like, and I can't tell if that's just because it was tailored or if it's because she lost some weight (which is obvious).119474?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

From those shots, it looks to me like the sleeves have been either completely replaced or highly modified.  There's now a white layer under the sheer layer.  They probably did the shoulders at the same time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Investigation into violence against employees at Luxembourg Royal Court.

Now this is the kind of drama I need from my royals. Is the Grand Duchess throwing tea cups? Cell phones? Does she pinch her maids? This woman seems like a total nightmare. Guilliame and Stephanie seem much nicer. 

ETA: 

Things I Want - a List with Photos by BlackberryJam

1. CP Victoria's coat.

2. CP Victoria's throne of books.

 

 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I initially read that as Victoria Wrestling. I can almost imagine the Swedish national anthem playing, Victoria runs to the ring, grabs a chair, clobbers Becky Lynch. She gets on the mic, talks about how Ireland used to belong to the Vikings, and now she's back for that and more.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

I hate those coats with with the wiiiide, flapping lapels and I hope they're gone soon.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

From those shots, it looks to me like the sleeves have been either completely replaced or highly modified.  There's now a white layer under the sheer layer.  They probably did the shoulders at the same time.

Thanks, I was trying to figure out what looked so different besides the shape of the shoulders, & it's the white layer under the sleeves. That really improves the dress a lot.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I want that coat!

I have to say, it seems now that the Harry and Meghan drama is over, everyone just looks more relaxed and happier, including H&M.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Kate's coat game has always been on pointe. I love every single coat that woman wears! And the long navy double breasted with the little pops of read in the clutch and scarf? To die for!!!

Also, that pic of the Queen? What a mischievous little smile she has. And an impressive coat and hat game for her. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Why does Kate have three hands in the original wearing of the dress picture?

Maybe European noble inbreeding has started to affect those who marry into the situation, rather than those just born into it.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post

Little late in the day, but today marks the 68th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's Accession to the throne.   She was proclaimed Queen on the death of her father George VI.   

Wonder if she makes it to 70 years?   Her Silver Jubilee was a BIG deal in the 1977.   Her Golden Jubilee in 2002 was HUGER.   Because nobody expected to get there.   Then she had her Diamond in 2012.    Which everyone made an ENORMOUS deal thinking it would be the  last one.    Now, well, ........

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:05 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Why does Kate have three hands in the original wearing of the dress picture?

That is the weirdest looking thing.  It looks like a fake hand coming out of an orange tube.  It can't be someone hiding behind her because she's so slender.  Bizarre!

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Oosala said:

That is the weirdest looking thing.  It looks like a fake hand coming out of an orange tube.  It can't be someone hiding behind her because she's so slender.  Bizarre!

Really bad (and unnecessary) photoshop. Here’s another photo of her in the same spot.

 image.jpeg.e43f21fac82be5b286bcfadbfde93512.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Little late in the day, but today marks the 68th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's Accession to the throne.   She was proclaimed Queen on the death of her father George VI.   

Wonder if she makes it to 70 years?   Her Silver Jubilee was a BIG deal in the 1977.   Her Golden Jubilee in 2002 was HUGER.   Because nobody expected to get there.   Then she had her Diamond in 2012.    Which everyone made an ENORMOUS deal thinking it would be the  last one.    Now, well, ........

Of course, it's a virtual certainty that she spent the actual anniversary quietly remembering her late beloved father, George VI at Sandringham which she has every year whenever possible- keeping up the Christmas decorations in place  there until said anniversary. 

Maybe Her Majesty should keep in mind the old adage/joke of the 100-year-old man who was asked what the secret of his longevity was to which he replied, "Make it to 99, then be VERY careful! "

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Little late in the day, but today marks the 68th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's Accession to the throne.   She was proclaimed Queen on the death of her father George VI.   

Wonder if she makes it to 70 years?   Her Silver Jubilee was a BIG deal in the 1977.   Her Golden Jubilee in 2002 was HUGER.   Because nobody expected to get there.   Then she had her Diamond in 2012.    Which everyone made an ENORMOUS deal thinking it would be the  last one.    Now, well, ........

Does anyone know what her 70th anniversary would be called?  Silver...Golden...Diamond...what would it be for 70?  I don't even know how to Google that to find out!  

Her longevity and continued commitment to her duty is just remarkable to me.  I love to look at all the fashion and jewels, and comment on all the ridiculous privileged behavior, but I do have a level of respect for QEII and her commitment to her role.  She's the 5th longest serving monarch in history (just a month away from claiming the 4th spot) and that's damned impressive.   

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, AnnMarie17 said:

Does anyone know what her 70th anniversary would be called?  Silver...Golden...Diamond...what would it be for 70?  I don't even know how to Google that to find out! 

 

A platinum jubilee is a celebration held to mark an anniversary. Among monarchies, it usually refers to a 70th anniversary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_jubilee

  • Like 3
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

 

A platinum jubilee is a celebration held to mark an anniversary. Among monarchies, it usually refers to a 70th anniversary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_jubilee

As far as I know, they're already planning for it. I hope she makes it to that point, as she'd be the first in British history and the first female.

Imagine if she lives even longer. They'll have to come up with an entirely new term, because no one's gotten that far.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Lifestyle/royals/prince-harry-revealed-he-has-been-in-therapy-for-seven-years-to-cope-with-loss-of-his-mother-after-being-introduced-on-stage-by-meghan-at-star-studded-jpmorgan-summit-in-miami/ar-BBZLmqH?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

Edited by Camille
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

She's the 5th longest serving monarch in history (just a month away from claiming the 4th spot) and that's damned impressive.   

Who has her beat?

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. Who knew the former King of Thailand was in second place.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It's going to be hard for her to beat the rest as none of them appear to have been over the age of 20 when they started so they all had a headstart. lol

Still, it is pretty impressive. Talk about job security! I haven't even existed for 68 years yet, let alone held a job. 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Wow. Who knew the former King of Thailand was in second place.

And it's just another four years before Her Majesty may eclipse Louis XIV's 72-year European longevity record!

Still, there was an Egyptian Pharaoh named Pepi II who some Egyptian records  claimed had reigned as long as 94 years from the age of six but this is now disputed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And it's just another four years before Her Majesty may eclipse Louis XIV's 72-year European longevity record!

Still, there was an Egyptian Pharaoh named Pepi II who some Egyptian records  claimed had reigned as long as 94 years from the age of six but this is now disputed. 

But is it truly reigning if the person is just a figure head? As much as Queen Elizabeth is beloved, she’s not running England as her ancestors did. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It's going to be hard for her to beat the rest as none of them appear to have been over the age of 20 when they started so they all had a headstart. lol

Still, it is pretty impressive. Talk about job security! I haven't even existed for 68 years yet, let alone held a job. 

I agree, however she has a couple of things in her favor - the Queen Mother living to be over 100 and access to better health care than the others, say in comparison to Louis XIV in the 17th - 18th centuries. 
Plus, that’s quite a commitment to make in your mid 20’s and still be around in your 90’s fulfilling it.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Enero said:

But is it truly reigning if the person is just a figure head? As much as Queen Elizabeth is beloved, she’s not running England as her ancestors did. 

Not an invalid question. She's not as ornamental as the Emperor of Japan is and is by no means an absolute monarch as Louis XIV was for most of his adult life (he'd had regents from the age of four onwards to early adulthood then singlehandedly wrestled his way to being the undisputed ruler to his death), but she does still have more legal rights and powers than any of her subjects (and even virtually all of her officials have) even though it's been spelled out that said rights and powers depend on her not attempting to take over the government (despite the fact that it's technically in her name). Oh, and if one gets sacked by Her Majesty, it's still not so easy to get work elsewhere in the UK.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

34 minutes ago, Popples said:

That photo of  the 5th Marquess of Anglesey is fantastic.

That's some serious headgear. If you saw that in a movie, you'd think it was ridiculous. But for a real person to wear that, wow.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

That's some serious headgear. If you saw that in a movie, you'd think it was ridiculous. But for a real person to wear that, wow.

It was a costume.   Apparently he blew through his fortune in just six years by producing lavish plays at the home castle.   

  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It was a costume.   Apparently he blew through his fortune in just six years by producing lavish plays at the home castle.   

Tale as old as time.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

That is a gorgeous tiara!  I would get such a kick out of hearing that an anonymous buyer got it at auction and then six months later seeing Camilla in it for a gala.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It was a costume.   Apparently he blew through his fortune in just six years by producing lavish plays at the home castle.   

I need to read more about him.  Sounds like he lived a fabulously flamboyant life.   I'm sure he never married and had many male friends who stayed at his estate.   Or he had one really good friend whom he met at school and never parted.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Click2Houston.com: Queen Elizabeth Reportedly Requests Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Return to UK for Royal Event

That would be the Commonwealth Day church service & other related events in March. They would supposedly bring Archie along.

 

Interesting that Her Majesty seems to be  requesting instead of commanding this. I suppose this means that she recognizes that she no longer can run their lives. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they left Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor in safekeeping with nannies and/or his maternal grandmother Ms. Ragland so as not to chance having their parental authority over his life even temporarily compromised. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they left Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor in safekeeping with nannies and/or his maternal grandmother Ms. Ragland so as not to chance having their parental authority over his life even temporarily compromised. 

What are you suggesting? That Liz would overrule them and insist he be raised her way?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Anduin said:

What are you suggesting? That Liz would overrule them and insist he be raised her way?

I think the thought of her possibly doing just that (and having the legal means in the UK to do so) has crossed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's minds at least once- especially when making the decision to keep him in Canada while they went back to the UK to face the music in person after making their bombshell annoucement.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I think the thought of her possibly doing just that (and having the legal means in the UK to do so) has crossed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's minds at least once- especially when making the decision to keep him in Canada while they went back to the UK to face the music in person after making their bombshell annoucement.

In that case, good idea. I fully support any undermining of Liz's power we get. We don't need to see another generation raised to the archaic and toxic standards she upholds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Or maybe she would like to see her great grandson.   The most plausible reason for them leaving Archie in Canada was they were only going to be gone for a few days.   Why bother doing transatlantic travel with an infant if you don't have to?    If they are staying for awhile, of course they are going to bring him.   He has grandparents, great grandparents, an aunt and uncle and cousins who would like to see him.    

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size