Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The only negative I attach is their intention to ease out of the financial support.  To me, if they're as serious as I believe they are, they should jump off that cliff, not rappel down with a rope.

I would agree with this if they were completely forgoing anymore royal duties, but they are looking to go "part-time."  They will be still "working" on behalf of the royal family, so at least for those events they still need the tight security and whatever else that is required when a royal family member does a public event.  I guess that needs to be ironed out with the Queen/Prince Charles...etc

• Like 11

On 1/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, GaT said:

It cracks me up that the Queen always has her handbag with her. There is absolutely no reason for her to even have one (especially in this photo), but it's always there, hanging off of her arm.

She has to have something to rely on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Anyone want to guess what the cover story will be at People and US next week?

This was with the digital magazines you can check out from my library, today...

D78E8883-FEFF-4571-87AC-ED8A711B6A2D.png

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I also think the royalty needs to change some, especially in relation to the larger family. I don’t think the BRF should monetize being royal, but there has to be some way for royals to earn a decent living. Having Daddy Charles pay 95% of their expenses is not financial independence. 

Just to clarify Charles pays 95% of their office expenses and the Queen was paying the other 5%. Those are expenses that rightful should be paid by the Crown when they are working on behalf of the Crown. The change to financial independence just means independence from Grant money given to the Queen to handle official business. 

There is not any information available about their personal expenses. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

9 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

This was with the digital magazines you can check out from my library, today...

D78E8883-FEFF-4571-87AC-ED8A711B6A2D.png

Honestly, the spin makes me laugh.  Harry is losing his allowance, he's devastated--in quotes because you know the writer spoke to a real person inside BP--and this was all the Queen's doing.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

Just to clarify Charles pays 95% of their office expenses and the Queen was paying the other 5%. Those are expenses that rightful should be paid by the Crown when they are working on behalf of the Crown. The change to financial independence just means independence from Grant money given to the Queen to handle official business. 

There is not any information available about their personal expenses. 

If you look back to publications prior to this latest brouhaha, it's clear that both Wills and Harry have their living expenses paid by Daddy Chaz from his Cornwall income. 

Not that I think this is a big whoopie. I mean, that's how royals get by, on the income from their lands and estates, but the land and estate in question is Charles', not William's or Harry's. 

Edited by BlackberryJam

In other royal news it’s The Duchess of Cambridge’s birthday today. 

• Like 17

It's smart of Harry and Meghan to make their own way.   Charles is rumored to want to severely chop the ones that have a salary, and offices, so they might as well move forward now.   Plus, the hideous harassment by the press there is horrible.      I hope that Harry and Meghan have a chance to raise their family, and follow their own interests in peace and quiet.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 18

59 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I love how pictures of Kate in more casual attire always look like photos from an LL Bean or J Crew catalogue.

If J Crew could build their own supermodel I'm pretty sure it would look exactly like Kate. She has such a natural easy beauty to her, casual but not dumpy, athletic but not gym sporty, outdoorsy but not scruffy camper ourdoorsy. She is J Crew. 

Also, clothes look great on her, so if the whole royal thing doesn't work out, she could sell the hell out of some J Crew womenswear. lol

• Like 13
  • Laugh 4

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

golddigger who was set up with Harry on a blind date. 

You can't just drop post such inflammatory rhetoric without a link or source. That's Internet 101 (and elementary school book report writing 101 - cite your sources)

The article linked to in this tweet says Archie is still in Canada, and his parents are flying back to him after this quick trip to the UK. It was, of course, initially suggested as something scandalous or suspicious to do, but seems more like smart parenting to not drag a baby on two long flights in just a few days. 

I saw some speculation earlier that they left Archie in Canada so the queen wouldn't hold him hostage in the UK so they couldn't leave and wondered who exactly that silly scenario is supposed to make look bad. 

• Like 16

29 minutes ago, jenrising said:

I saw some speculation earlier that they left Archie in Canada so the queen wouldn't hold him hostage in the UK so they couldn't leave and wondered who exactly that silly scenario is supposed to make look bad. 

Sigh. People need to take a seat until they can differentiate real life from a Lifetime or Hallmark movie.

Smart parenting indeed, especially if they are flying commercial. It's flu season, no need to expose an infant on two long flights in such a short period of time.

Of course the CBS evening news just had one of their top headlines about it, so they certainly aren't helping 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Do you have access to information the rest of the planet doesn't? Why is it so hard to believe they just want to step back and focus on their little family, away from the constant stream of vitriol (some of which is coming from this very thread) and live a different life? @Pickles why do you hate Megan so much and blame her for everything? Serious question.

T

Harry and Meghan are not stepping back and focusing on their family, though,  They've already announced that they plan to continue their work with various charities and causes as well as be part-time royals.  Neither one of them has any sort of training or experience with running a charitable foundation or raising funds except as public faces/figureheads.  Clearly, they intend to work for these charities in a public role as celebrities.  And how did they become celebs?  I know Meghan had some success as an actress, but I and millions and millions of others never heard of her before she became involved with Harry.  Harry and Meghan are also claiming that they want to be self supporting but. yet, they apparently intend to keep their royal residence for which they do not pay and it is pretty obvious that there is only one path for them to maintain their lifestyle unless Prince Charles keeps writing checks and that is to exploit their royal status for pay while declining to accept the parts of their royal jobs that they don't enjoy.  At no time have they ever suggested that they will retire from public life, they quite frankly cannot afford to unless the PoW is going to keep them in the style to which they are accustomed.

The Palace has good reason to be concerned as to how it is Harry and Meghan plan to become self supporting while not exploiting their royal titles.  Because, realistically, they cannot.  Also, based on the way Harry and Meghan have handled this announcement, they clearly do not intend to listen to the family in any way and seemingly do not care if they have to air the family's dirty laundry publicly to obtain their goals.

NBC reported tonight that the Queen personally requested that any announcement be held until there was a formal plan in place and it could be announced jointly.  Instead, Harry and Meghan sent a copy of their announcement to Prince Charles and William only 10 minutes before the public release.  And they already had their website in place and ready to go with lots of confusing statements about their future.

It appears to me that the Sussex decided to blow the whole thing up publicly for their own reasons.  I have great sympathy for the way they, especially Meghan, have been mistreated by the press but that doesn't make them above criticism for creating this clusterf***.

NBC also reports that Meghan is already en route to Canada while Harry is staying behind to meet privately with his father and brother in hopes of coming up with a deal.  Apparently, there is some thought that recent events initiated by the Sussex have given them some sort of leverage within the family.  Hmmm......

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The Palace has good reason to be concerned as to how it is Harry and Meghan plan to become self supporting while not exploiting their royal titles.  Because, realistically, they cannot.

How much did Harry inherit from his mother?  He was her heir, since she didn't leave her estate to William, because he's the heir to the throne.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

How much did Harry inherit from his mother?  He was her heir, since she didn't leave her estate to William, because he's the heir to the throne.

A couple pages ago, we discussed this.  Harry got around $40 million according to some reports, while others say it was  closer to $20 million from Diana's estate.  Meghan's net worth at the time they married was somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-7 million.  That seems like a lot until you realize that Prince Charles, who has been paying 95% of their expenses is worth well over a billion and it is estimated that they received over $4 million in the past year  from him to cover their bills.  William and Kate are reported to get around $5 million due to having more kids.  Anyway, presuming they continue to live as they have been, even $40+ million isn't going to last long.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 3

It was around $10m each to both of her sons at the time of her death. It’s now estimated to have grown to $40m, considering expenditures, etc.

• Like 2

Also, based on the way Harry and Meghan have handled this announcement, they clearly do not intend to listen to the family in any way and seemingly do not care if they have to air the family's dirty laundry publicly to obtain their goals.

@doodlebug What is the last part in reference to? The airing dirty laundry bit?

5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

If Meghan wants to be rich and uber famous -- well then why would she LEAVE the monarchy? Nobody will care about her if she's living in some godforsaken place in Canada (sorry, Canada). I mean the only way she'd be MORE rich and famous is if she's going to be some blockbuster movie star, and let's get real, that's not happening. Come on, man. SHE WAS LIVING IN A FUCKING TOWNHOME IN TORONTO WITH HER DOGS. It's kind of like the '90s when Paris Hilton was going out to clubs and getting in the tabloids EXCEPT IT'S TOTALLY THE OPPOSITE. 

It is fascinating to me to see this apparent family dispute being played out for all the world to see, and yet we can only really speculate on the real details. That's why I think it's dumb to just blame Meghan and be all "SHE'S TAKING HARRY AWAY FROM HIS FAMILY." That said, I don't think Harry and Meghan have handled it well, and they probably should have waited a bit to iron out details before rushing their statement out to everyone (like...what exactly will their duties be, what does "financially independent" mean to them, etc). 

She's already upset a lot of Royal watchers and a lot of Royals. If they're gonna ignore Royal Commands she can easily work in Canada. Besides in GB there are lits of Royals. They'll be rhe only or one of few.

34 minutes ago, slf said:

@doodlebug What is the last part in reference to? The airing dirty laundry bit?

It's in reference to the fact that the way Harry and Meghan handled this announcement as well as some of their interviews over the past few months, especially the interview for their tour of Africa, has made ir pretty obvious that there is a rift in the family.  Usually, the royal family tries to present a united front in these matters.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It's in reference to the fact that the way Harry and Meghan handled this announcement as well as some of their interviews over the past few months, especially the interview for their tour of Africa, has made ir pretty obvious that there is a rift in the family.  Usually, the royal family tries to present a united front in these matters.  

I think that the way H&M announced this points to usually the royal family gets in line with what is decreed and swallows that there isn't going to be a compromise.  There is really no other reason to drop the news the way they did. A leak doesn't explain it.  It feels more like they got spooked (which probably not, given the website was ready to go and they left Archie in Canada) or to a level of frustration that they announced to force the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dani said:

They have not claimed they want to be self supporting. Their website makes it clear that they want to be financially independent from the Sovereign Grant so that they can have jobs outside of the Royal Family.

To me it sounds like their plans for the charitable foundation are basically the same as what they would be doing if still Senior Royals.  It sounds like they want to sever the tie to the Sovereign grant solely to get free of the Royal Rota and to have some ability to live in the Commonwealth part time and travel more freely for the charitable works than they are able to now.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 14

14 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

To me it sounds like their plans for the charitable foundation are basically the same as what they would be doing if still Senior Royals.  It sounds like they want to sever the tie to the Sovereign grant solely to get free of the Royal Rota and to have some ability to live in the Commonwealth part time and travel more freely for the charitable works than they are now.

I think you’re right. The website does mention they want t o have outside jobs but it really seems like breaking free of the toxic Royal Rota is the primary motivation. 

• Like 5

I've been following the news about Harry and Meghan's announcement with a lot of interest. I have a lot of sympathy for their situation with the media. Cannot fathom how difficult it would be to be in the media eye in general, and that's not even counting the added viciousness that has been targeted at her and Harry's own understandable trauma over his mother's death.

I also don't buy the narrative that she is the one who is instigating this and Harry is just going along. I think, as is true with many dysfunctional families, it is easier to blame the in-law who married in rather than accepting that the relative is doing what he/she wants to do, has long wanted to do, and now finally feels empowered to do.

All that being said, I don't think their announced plan is going to work. I think it probably would have  been better to break away from the royal institution entirely.

Ordinarily, I'd say doing such a major change without getting everyone else on board for a joint statement was not a great idea, but I can see how the situation was likely toxic enough to warrant that.

I do think it is a bad look, though, to keep mentioning how they are supporting the queen when they apparently went against her express wishes in how they rolled it out. It's one of the reasons why I think a full break would probably have been better rather than trying to reach a compromise partial position. I suspect even with the changes they are asking for, they're still not going to be happy as members of the royal family. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 16

6 hours ago, Zella said:

I've been following the news about Harry and Meghan's announcement with a lot of interest. I have a lot of sympathy for their situation with the media. Cannot fathom how difficult it would be to be in the media eye in general, and that's not even counting the added viciousness that has been targeted at her and Harry's own understandable trauma over his mother's death.

I also don't buy the narrative that she is the one who is instigating this and Harry is just going along. I think, as is true with many dysfunctional families, it is easier to blame the in-law who married in rather than accepting that the relative is doing what he/she wants to do, has long wanted to do, and now finally feels empowered to do.

All that being said, I don't think their announced plan is going to work. I think it probably would have  been better to break away from the royal institution entirely.

Ordinarily, I'd say doing such a major change without getting everyone else on board for a joint statement was not a great idea, but I can see how the situation was likely toxic enough to warrant that.

I do think it is a bad look, though, to keep mentioning how they are supporting the queen when they apparently went against her express wishes in how they rolled it out. It's one of the reasons why I think a full break would probably have been better rather than trying to reach a compromise partial position. I suspect even with the changes they are asking for, they're still not going to be happy as members of the royal family. 

I think you’re absolutely correct; whatever the fallout from the current situation; I get the impression that Harry in particular, has some of his mother’s impulsiveness and recklessness and, no matter what happens, he may well be dissatisfied with the result and will be pushing for something else in short order.   I hope he is getting counseling because I don’t think dropping out of the Royal rotat is going to give him control over their press coverage which seems to be a big goal for him.

Harry has been known as a hothead, a guy who goes ballistic and throws tantrums to get his way; this looks like more of the same.  The fact that they left the baby back in Canada indicates that he wasn’t going to negotiate, his announcement was always meant to happen quickly.  Supposedly, the Queen has ordered William and Charles to get the deal done ASAP,  so I guess Harry has won.

10 hours ago, Dani said:

That’s not true. Harry and William established the Royal Foundation in 2009. Harry founded Sentebale when he was 22. By all reports he has taken a very hands on role in his charities and has ample experience to handle their new foundation. Meghan graduated from Northwestern with a double major in Theater and International Relations. She became involved with the Royal Foundation when they got engaged. 

They have not claimed they want to be self supporting. Their website makes it clear that they want to be financially independent from the Sovereign Grant so that they can have jobs outside of the Royal Family and have more flexibility. 

They have only said that they plan to continue living at Frogmore. I don’t understand why everyone is jumping to the conclusion that they will not be paying rent. It is frequently reported that the other part-time royals who live in Crown Estates pay rent. There is no reason to assume that will be any different from them.

I do think it is fair to criticize the system and extravagance but that really isn’t about Harry and Meghan in particular. Queen Elizabeth financially supports many members of her family. Where’s the outrage over Princess Alexandra‘s 150 year lease or the fact the Queen pays Prince Michael’s rent?

I am speaking of the kind of training and experience that is required to actually be a salaried administrator of a charity as a source of income.  I am sure that both of them have chosen their causes carefully, attend as many major planning sessions as possible and provide their input on the projects being undertaken; but I don’t think that either is providing enough value to deserve a salary.  It has become clearer over the past day or so that, you are correct, like a lot of other kids of billionaires, Harry expects his father to keep underwriting his lifestyle while he does what he wants.

Prince Michael is 77 years old, I don’t think anyone expects him to run out and get a job to pay the bills. I didn’t see anything in their rather poorly worded announcement that Harry and Meghan plan to pay rent to the Crown estates for Frogmore House so I am not sure why you think they will. And, If they do, it is apparently coming out of Daddy’s pocket anyway, so it is not a sign of Harry taking responsibility for his life.

• Like 7

That’s the problem with the poorly done announcement. It proudly gives up that 5% of the Sovereign Grant while implying that Charles will still underwrite their lifestyle. That reeks of rich kid privilege and quite frankly, Harry should know better. 

Maybe they will pay rent. Maybe Harry’s allowance will be halved or quartered or eliminated. Maybe Harry and Meghan have jobs lined up that will pay them what they need to cover their expenses. Maybe they have an “financial independence” budget and plan. But they way this was done makes it really seem like they don’t. It reads like, “We are giving up that 5% so we can choose our own, more favorable media coverage; we are going to do less work as royals, but Charles will still support us.”

As someone upthread, or somewhere else said, it’s an announcement that they are going part-time, doing on the work they choose and expecting to still receive 95% of their prior salary.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The take from Sky News.  I'm wondering if the first photo is supposed to be artistic license, or is it editorial commentary. 

harry-and-meghans-statement-set-off-fireworks-within-royal-family

I have no idea how Sky News fits into the British Press--is it a respected newspaper with real journalists, or is it a tabloid?  This article hits me like it was written for the equivalent of People Magazine--

A close friend of Prince Harry's told us that Harry isn't close to anyone now and hasn't been for a while, and they wonder who is advising him and who are his confidantes. They told us friends are gobsmacked.

Obviously whomever this is (if the person even actually exists) is not as close of a friend as he/she thought.  This piece also comes off as a disappointed "journalist" who is upset she cannot use Harry and Meghan however she wants anymore.  And, at least to me, that is the crux of the issue with Harry and Meghan.  They are tired of a system where the press can treat them however they want and Harry and Meghan are just supposed to take it.  The Royal Rota system is messed up and hopelessly outdated.  It rewards rags like The Daily Mail and The Sun at the expense of members of the family.  Harry and Meghan are currently suing The Daily Mail for articles they published, but if it is their turn in the Rota, Harry and Meghan have to release information and pictures to them first.  The idea that they (and every BRF Instagram account) has to give access to their posts to one newspaper before posting to their followers is asinine.  Kate sued the Sun (I believe) and that paper is still in the rota.  There is literally  no incentive for these papers to stop harassing the family if they are still in the Rota.  

• Like 17

While it's understandable that H&M want out of the Royal Rota of press, the idea that they will have the power to control the press narrative once that happens is naive. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

I also think their idea they will have greater control over media narrative is naive. Don't blame them at all for not wanting to feed the rota system--had no idea that was a thing--but I suspect even if they were private citizens, they would still be the focus of intense media scrutiny. 

As for their home and income, I was a bit surprised when I read what their website had to say, and again, I think it does boil down to them making assumptions that may not be true. Perhaps it is what they've asked for, but after they pissed off everyone at the palace, who is to say they will still get those options?

They say 95% of their money comes from the Prince of Wales. I understand that they have money independent of that, with Meghan's coming from her work and Harry's coming from his mother, but if they announced this without a deal, what guarantee do they have that they will continue to receive that money?

Likewise, for their residence, they state, they "will continue to use Frogmore Cottage – with the permission of Her Majesty The Queen – as their official residence as they continue to support the Monarchy, and so that their family will always have a place to call home in the United Kingdom." It's all dependent on the queen's permission, but what if them rolling out the announcement without an arrangement intact and apparently in defiance of her wishes means she is much less amenable to giving them that permission?

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I think you’re absolutely correct; whatever the fallout from the current situation; I get the impression that Harry in particular, has some of his mother’s impulsiveness and recklessness and, no matter what happens, he may well be dissatisfied with the result and will be pushing for something else in short order.   I hope he is getting counseling because I don’t think dropping out of the Royal rotat is going to give him control over their press coverage which seems to be a big goal for him.

Harry has been known as a hothead, a guy who goes ballistic and throws tantrums to get his way; this looks like more of the same.  The fact that they left the baby back in Canada indicates that he wasn’t going to negotiate, his announcement was always meant to happen quickly.  Supposedly, the Queen has ordered William and Charles to get the deal done ASAP,  so I guess Harry has won.

Yes, I would not be surprised if within some time, depending on how negotiations go, that it is announced they will be leaving their official positions within the royal family. And that's going to be a PR nightmare, one I think they were trying to avoid with the half measures, since it will be clear whatever arrangements didn't work out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

While it's understandable that H&M want out of the Royal Rota of press, the idea that they will have the power to control the press narrative once that happens is naive. 

I'm afraid you are correct. That was one of the major contributing factors re the late Princess of Wales's downfall in that she seemed to believe  that because her charm  seemed to have  been enough for her accomplish some positive actions with media assistance that she could thenceforth somehow completely control the press narrative re how much  and how favorably she was to be covered. 

While I applaud them for taking on some of the rags who had printed baldfaced lies and personal correspondence without their express permission (and hope they somehow win the case), I'm afraid that the Sussexes need to learn to accept if not like that, regardless of fairness or accuracy, the narrative will NEVER be in their hands. And, alas, that they likely will stay targets for quite some time in no small part for having openly objected to the slants and intrusiveness. Ultimately, they will have to somehow learn to develop indifference rather than anger and somehow let this go as much as possible. 

I still like both the Sussexes a great deal and am doing my best to give them the benefit of the doubt but I can't help but think that them (at the very least) jumping the gun re the semi-autonomy  declaration before things were ironed out HAD to have hurt both the Prince of Wales and Her Majesty. Moreover I can't believe that they wouldn't have had any inkling of his paternal side's most predictable reactions.  I doubt anyone who knows them would consider them to be clueless, arrogant boobs like the Duke of York. No, I most certainly do NOT consider them to be anywhere close to the solipsitic characters of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. 

I also can't help but think that the Sussexes had to have deliberately made the decision to keep Master Archie Mountbatten- Windsor in Canada while they jaunted back to the Mother Country to make their declaration. Rarely do parents of infants who take them on lengthy journeys leave them at their vacation spot with others   while the parents themselves return home for business. 

If the Sussexes aren't going to live in Great Britain the majority of the time (and this seems to be up in the air), then perhaps the issue of the Frogmore House residence for them will be a moot point but they may want to consider having a pied-à-terre spot in the UK for them to stay in during their times there. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, bobalina said:

Why did they leave Archie in Canada? Were they afraid the family would snatch him?

That's the £64,000 question! I know that Her Majesty is the ultimate guardian of all the Royal children (which is WHY William and Harry had zero chance of residing anywhere but the UK with their father being the primary guardian but having limited visitation with the Princess of Wales after the Waleses' divorce) but I'm not sure they were afraid of any possible familial abductions . They may have simply  wanted to ensure that from this point any and ALL decisions re how Master Archie is to be raised would be solely the Sussexes' calls!  Still, they can't have not known how this action would have been perceived much less how it had to have hurt the Queen.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Why did they leave Archie in Canada? Were they afraid the family would snatch him?

They traveled to Canada by commercial airliner.  Flying from Toronto to London is not a quick jaunt, especially with an infant.  Besides, airplanes are flying Petri dishes and babies need to be protected from infection.  It seems to me that they knew all along that they were not going to be staying in England, but planned to make their announcement and head back to Canada in a day or two; so why disrupt the baby's schedule and routine and expose him to strangers' germs?   News reports indicate that he was in the Mulroney home along with his nanny who has apparently been employed for his care since last summer and whom he undoubtedly knows and trusts.  Of course, it also means that Archie's paternal grandparents and great grandparents didn't get to see him at all over the holidays which I know my parents would've found hurtful, but who knows with this family?

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

I also wanted to add, as we are all speculating on how Harry and Meghan will support themselves going forward, we need to remember that they are well connected.  They will have their pick of below-market-value homes in their preferred part of Canada to choose from.  If they need a paycheck, one of their friends will know of the perfect job that pays well without any real work involved.  Not to mention whatever they make off of their speaking engagements.  If the Queen decides they cannot stay at Frogmore (rent or no rent), suddenly a beautiful flat in the perfect part of London will become available at the right price for them.   

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also wanted to add, as we are all speculating on how Harry and Meghan will support themselves going forward, we need to remember that they are well connected.  They will have their pick of below-market-value homes in their preferred part of Canada to choose from.  If they need a paycheck, one of their friends will know of the perfect job that pays well without any real work involved.  Not to mention whatever they make off of their speaking engagements.  If the Queen decides they cannot stay at Frogmore (rent or no rent), suddenly a beautiful flat in the perfect part of London will become available at the right price for them.   

That's certainly true, though if they want to reside in the Victoria area of BC where they are apparently staying now, I don't know that there is such a thing as a nice below-market home. My understanding--which is derived from following a true crime case there--is that real estate prices there are insane. I'm sure they have the resources to pay for it, but it isn't exactly a cheap place to live. The oft-repeated joke is BC stands for Bring Cash. 

Edited to add: I have no clue about Toronto, where she used to live. They may end up preferring to live there and are just staying on Vancouver Island temporarily. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, bobalina said:

49 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

They traveled to Canada by commercial airliner.  Flying from Toronto to London is not a quick jaunt, especially with an infant.  Besides, airplanes are flying Petri dishes and babies need to be protected from infection.  It seems to me that they knew all along that they were not going to be staying in England, but planned to make their announcement and head back to Canada in a day or two; so why disrupt the baby's schedule and routine and expose him to strangers' germs?   News reports indicate that he was in the Mulroney home along with his nanny who has apparently been employed for his care since last summer and whom he undoubtedly knows and trusts.  Of course, it also means that Archie's paternal grandparents and great grandparents didn't get to see him at all over the holidays which I know my parents would've found hurtful, but who knows with this family?

Pretty much what doodlebug said.   I said this before, they had time alone, just the two of them to talk over the holidays without the family putting in their 2 cents.   They decided now was the time to make the break.   So they flew back to do something they were scheduled for and make the announcement.   Then intended for both of them to fly back to start their new life.  I don't think the plan was for Harry to stay behind.    I definitely do not think they left him there out of any abduction fears.   This is 2020, not 1520.   The Queen is not going to demand that a Royal Child stay in Britain.   One who doesn't even have a title.  

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's certainly true, though if they want to reside in the Victoria area of BC where they are apparently staying now, I don't know that there is such a thing as a nice below-market home. My understanding--which is derived from following a true crime case there--is that real estate prices there are insane. I'm sure they have the resources to pay for it, but it isn't exactly a cheap place to live. The oft-repeated joke is BC stands for Bring Cash. 

Edited to add: I have no clue about Toronto, where she used to live. They may end up preferring to live there and are just staying on Vancouver Island temporarily. 

Toronto is not cheap either, but privileged people live in their own bubble and the world works differently for them.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Toronto is not cheap either, but privileged people live in their own bubble and the world works differently for them.  

That's certainly true, but it does make me side eye their declarations about being "financially independent." 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's certainly true, but it does make me side eye their declarations about being "financially independent." 

It’s pretty clear that they have no plans to actually become financially independent in the way most of us mean it.  Amongst other things, they just completed a ‘much needed’ SIX WEEK vacation after just a few months of full time royalling since their extended leave after the baby’s birth.  Not many people can do that and remain employed.

As far as housing in Canada, they’ve been staying in a $13 million mansion; a stay that was ‘arranged’ by a friend. I’d be surprised if it cost them a dime and I am sure the same friend or some other wealthy individual who wants the recognition will find them another place to buy or rent at a fraction of market value.

F Scott Fitzgerald said, ‘ the rich are different from you and me’.  You betcha!

• Like 11
  • Laugh 3

26 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It’s pretty clear that they have no plans to actually become financially independent in the way most of us mean it.  Amongst other things, they just completed a ‘much needed’ SIX WEEK vacation after just a few months of full time royalling since their extended leave after the baby’s birth.  Not many people can do that and remain employed.

[snip]

F Scott Fitzgerald said, ‘ the rich are different from you and me’.  You betcha!

Financially independent from taxpayer money, but not financially independent as in paying for all their own things. It really makes me eyerolly and I feel this is ALL Harry.

• Like 1

I like Harry and Meghan, but the timing of this and some of the tone-deafness has me shaking my head. You can't really control the press, particularly the tabloids and the paparazzi, but you can do things to get ahead of the narrative, like time your news carefully. Like, they released their statement at the worst possible time. It's a post-holiday January, traditionally a very slow news time. They haven't been in the public eye much. And they did it during the work week. Come on, man. If you don't want a big newsplosion, then release your statement on Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend. Nobody will care about your news by Monday or Tuesday. 

It does appear as though some of the saner news sources are coming out with stories saying "this is all Harry," because duh. 

On a side note: The Sussexes apparently visited the Hubb Kitchen and put photos from the visit on their Insta. I will note that Meghan needs a haircut. Her hair is looking a little frazzled, perhaps the travel, the stress, the post-baby fallout? 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

As far as housing in Canada, they’ve been staying in a $13 million mansion; a stay that was ‘arranged’ by a friend. I’d be surprised if it cost them a dime and I am sure the same friend or some other wealthy individual who wants the recognition will find them another place to buy or rent at a fraction of market value.

This is really what I think, although this is Harry driving it, I think Meghan just Has.Had.It.   I think she broke down in Canada and just said she couldn't take the harassment anymore.   I don't blame her if this is what happened.   Then she couldn't wait for a longer transition to mostly private life.   The racism was just TOO MUCH.    The 6 week vacation was because it was all getting to her.   It was really affecting her mental health and she needed to not be hounded for a bit.    

Which would explain the timing.   Harry moved things up to protect his wife.   

• Like 20

I don’t know very much about Royal goings-on so forgive the dumb American, but I kind of thought the royal family was similar to the mafia—you’re either in or you’re out.  You can’t go part time on these things.  If they want to be out, then they should move to Canada or wherever and pave their own way.  They will be fine financially.  Maybe they won’t have the monarchy millions (billions??) but I’m pretty sure they will survive somehow.

I think Harry was extremely affected by his mother’s death, particularly the how and why.  I think he carries that with him and is terrified of his wife and/or son being victim to the same fate.  I can understand that.  He seemed like he wasn’t really “into” being a royal way before meeting Meghan.  I just think in Meghan he maybe found a partner who gave him that final support to break away.  I wish them well.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

This is really what I think, although this is Harry driving it, I think Meghan just Has.Had.It.   I think she broke down in Canada and just said she couldn't take the harassment anymore.   I don't blame her if this is what happened.   Then she couldn't wait for a longer transition to mostly private life.   The racism was just TOO MUCH.    The 6 week vacation was because it was all getting to her.   It was really affecting her mental health and she needed to not be hounded for a bit.    

Which would explain the timing.   Harry moved things up to protect his wife.   

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a pretty frank "Come to Jesus" talk about it during that break. 

I think they have perfectly valid complaints, concerns, and grievances about and with the media--and based on that interview they did in October, I have no doubt that mental health/quality of life concerns are a big factor in this decision.

I'm just not sure that their proposed plan really gives them as much of an out from the media as they are anticipating. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm just not sure that their proposed plan really gives them as much of an out from the media as they are anticipating. 

Right. Moving to Canada will only insulate them somewhat from the British press, but a messy/undefined semi-separation from the Royal Family only shines the spotlight on them even brighter. If they want the press to absolutely leave them alone, it's going to take probably a solid decade of them stepping back from all publicity, and that includes public appearances for charity. The press will only stop talking about them once there is nothing to say. 

• Like 10

I don't think the people in Canada are looking forward to this media mess.

• Like 3

Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.