Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

The Royals: All the People Who Unironically Wear Robes and Crowns

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Camille said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/haters-rear-heads-shame-meghan-152315536.html

Pricks. Jeez. This woman can't do anything right by these people, can she? If it had been a home birth, they'd be ranting about her possibly endangering herself and the baby.

And, if as the article states, Harry and Meghan had initially planned to try to deliver at home, but, due to circumstances, such as the baby being overdue, they changed their plan and went to the hospital; isn't that just what any reasonable parent might do?  Presumably, they consulted with Meghan's caregivers, midwives and/or physicians, and, the circumstances were weighed and the decision was made that a home birth wasn't going to provide the margin of safety needed for their particular situation, so they went to the hospital.  Isn't that how home birth is supposed to work?   Sounds like they were responsible parents who took care to be sure that their baby was born in the safest possible manner.

One of the big problems that many OB providers have with homebirth in the US is that some parents and providers ignore the risk factors and are unrealistic in their expectations and stay at home when they shouldn't.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

The reports I've seen say they used Portland Hospital, which has the advantage of a private entrance (underground) so they could come and go without any attention.  Didn't they have to make an announcement about Catherine being in labor and at the hospital when pregnant with George because they were seen going in the back entrance?  Probably why Harry & Meghan didn't want to deliver at that hospital.   

Should have called Nonnatus House - those ladies can handle any situation.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Should have called Nonnatus House - those ladies can handle any situation.  

Midwife calling!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

John, on the other hand, hasn’t been used by William & Harry’s generation of the royals.

John Philip Alexander?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Camille said:

John Philip Alexander?

I don't know about Meghan, but that makes me think of John Philip Sousa, and I wouldn't want to name my kid that.  (I don't expect that to be the first thing Harry or the rest of them think of.)

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

From Inside EditionThis Woman Is Having Surgery to Look Like Meghan Markle

Good lord. Talk about being in the Cult of Meghan, a C-list actress who married well.

An unfortunately increasingly common response to famous beautiful women. Fans of everyone from Angelina Jolie to Jennifer Lawrence have done the same.

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I remain at a loss to understand how the apparent mental illness of random strangers is somehow Meghan's fault. Other than living her life as a public figure who is married to an even bigger public figure, is Meghan doing anything to encourage so-called cult behavior? And what level of actress (or celebrity in general) would she need to be for her admirers not to be considered a cult?

As long as the actor isn’t Meghan Markle, then it would be okay. 

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, slf said:

An unfortunately increasingly common response to famous beautiful women. Fans of everyone from Angelina Jolie to Jennifer Lawrence have done the same.

There was even a TV show about it.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Oosala said:

The baby's name will be Arthur Charles.  Well, that's MY guess anyway.

Prince Louis' full name is Louis Arthur Charles, so that's probably too similar to be used for a first cousin.

I think they're going to pick a less traditional name since the baby most likely won't be an HRH unless the Queen issues Letters Patent to change the rules (and my impression is that H/M don't want the kid to worry about an HRH title anyway). Not something really off the wall, but on the level of Zara or Isla for a boy. Or, something like David, which is one of Harry's middle names but hasn't been used in the family as a primary name for a while.

ETA I also wouldn't be shocked if Philip is in there as a middle name. I think Harry is fond of his grandpa and that name also hasn't been used in this generation yet.

Edited by ombelico
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve just been thinking... I’d like to see William as 1 of the names, I think. Considering he & Harry were at least really close growing up after Diana died. If they might use that, I doubt it would be a first name since the baby’s uncle already has the name & it might get too confusing especially once William takes the throne, if he uses his first name as King.

I will be shocked if Thomas is 1 of the names. Honestly, while I appreciated the statement put out in Meghan’s dad’s name after the birth, I keep having this weird feeling he hired some sort of PR person, or got someone he knows who knows how to speak appropriately in a situation like that, to either write the statement for him or help him with it. Other than the fact he’s not being angry in it about the state of his current relationship with Meghan (& Harry), for some reason I don’t think it sounds like Meghan’s dad, based on how he came off in his other print & electronic media interviews.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a comment.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Henry, Jr.   They can call him Indiana.   

The article about the change of plans from a home birth is based solely on Katie Nicholl's claim that there would be a home birth.  She is NOT the insider she claims to be.   The Sussexes made no announcement about their plans.   I doubt there was a home birth planned and a hospital birth was the plan all along.   Just a matter of which one depending on the move.   

I will belive Meghan was overdue because Harry said she was.   Unless it comes out of the mouths of the Royals themselves, I am not believing anything the "insiders" or "palace sources" say.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

They just showed him on GMA. He’s cute, I think, even though he was only napping in his daddy’s (Harry’s) arms & we didn’t see that much of him. Harry was in a tan-ish suit, white shirt, & dark tie, & carrying the baby. Mommy Meghan looked good too, in a sleeveless white dress that I think she also wore before she got pregnant & had to dress for the bump. She used words like “magical” & “a dream” to describe how it felt to be a mom, saying also that she had the 2 best guys.

Here’s a closeup of the baby

Here are at least some of the video of Harry, Meghan & the baby talking to the press, plus a few more pics.

They say we’re supposed to learn the name this afternoon. He’s being introduced to the Queen & Prince Philip first, before that happens, apparently.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

A great op-ed from someone thanking Meghan for not doing a photo shoot within hours of giving birth.

(Though two days isn't much better. She still looks far more perfect than 99.9% of new moms at that point)

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/natalie-stechyson/meghan-markle-royal-baby-photo-op_a_23722291/?utm_source=main_fb&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

They look so happy. Such a beautiful family. 

Am I the only one who can’t wait to hear the kid talk in another 10-15 years?  I wonder if he’ll have a British accent or if he will have an American accent similar to Meghan’s. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Here's video from GMA's twitter account.

And this is why all these Meghan wasn't pregnant conspiracy theories just make me laugh. Girlfriend just spread everywhere. Her face is adorably chubby. Still beautiful and I have to laugh at her still rocking her high heels. 

3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

 I wonder if he’ll have a British accent or if he will have an American accent similar to Meghan’s. 

Well since he'll be raised mostly in England, so will likely be surrounded more so by Brits, my guess is he'll probably have a British accent. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

They look so happy. Such a beautiful family. 

Am I the only one who can’t wait to hear the kid talk in another 10-15 years?  I wonder if he’ll have a British accent or if he will have an American accent similar to Meghan’s. 

Since he’ll be exposed to both British & American accents, it might be a sort of hybrid, kind of like Bindi Irwin’s Aussie/American speech (her dad was an Aussie; her mom now apparently holds dual Aussie/US citizenship, but was born here & sounds American).  

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add comments and a parenthesis.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

He's adorable.  Well what we could see of him.   

Harry just adores being a dad, you can tell.  

I'm betting that Meghan loses her American accent and picks up a British one in the next few years.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

He is just so cute.  Meghan and Harry look so happy, so I'm happy for them.  Meghan looks great w/the extra weight on her.

Looking forward to learning his name later on today.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Meghan looks great with the fake post partum baby bump! I see she's also bought some new boobs. What a faker!

All kidding aside, she looks amazing, the baby is adorable and Harry looks so proud he might burst. Congrats to the family!

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

As for the accent I watched an interview Princess Anne's son and daughter-in-law did and it seems like she's picked up a bit of an accent but kept some Canadianism's which hers kids correct her on....so I am thinking it will probably be the same or close to the same with the new little..who very cute btw.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, raven said:
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

They just showed him on GMA. He’s cute, I think, even though he was only napping in his daddy’s (Harry’s) arms & we didn’t see that much of him. Harry was in a tan-ish suit, white shirt, & dark tie, & carrying the baby. Mommy Meghan looked good too, in a sleeveless white dress that I think she also wore before she got pregnant & had to dress for the bump. She used words like “magical” & “a dream” to describe how it felt to be a mom, saying also that she had the 2 best guys.

Here’s a closeup of the baby

Here are at least some of the video of Harry, Meghan & the baby talking to the press, plus a few more pics.

They say we’re supposed to learn the name this afternoon. He’s being introduced to the Queen & Prince Philip first, before that happens, apparently.

What a beautiful family! 

(Not sure why my GoT post got mixed up in this. Sorry.)

Edited by Enigma X
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Meghan looks great with the fake post partum baby bump! I see she's also bought some new boobs. What a faker!

All kidding aside, she looks amazing, the baby is adorable and Harry looks so proud he might burst. Congrats to the family!

.... And she's flaunting tradition, AGAIN!  She's making him hold the baby!  Didn't she study the ancient tomes and noticed that Kate and Diana held their own babies????

Yeah, all kidding aside, I adore the fact that he is the one holding the kid.  He's gonna be a hands on dad, no doubt.  Also Harry still has that dazed and amazed look on his face.  She is frickin' glowing.  Awww... I love new babies.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

.... And she's flaunting tradition, AGAIN!  She's making him hold the baby!  Didn't she study the ancient tomes and noticed that Kate and Diana held their own babies????

Yeah, all kidding aside, I adore the fact that he is the one holding the kid.  He's gonna be a hands on dad, no doubt.  Also Harry still has that dazed and amazed look on his face.  She is frickin' glowing.  Awww... I love new babies.

Not a big fan of babies or kids, but they look adorably happy! And agreed, love the fact that Harry was carrying the baby. Makes me think he'll not only be a hands on dad, but is giving Meghan the help and support she needs to rest and recover.

One thing that did annoy about this press conference was the reporters questions. I know stupid questions will be asked, but asking "who does the baby look like?" was just ridiculous. The baby is barely three days old. It's not going to look like anyone at this point. 

Anyway, congrats to them again!

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

And this is why all these Meghan wasn't pregnant conspiracy theories just make me laugh

With a bump that big, I'm sure the idiots have already started their speculation that she's still pregnant (Kate got a bit of that after having George).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Enero said:

Not a big fan of babies or kids, but they look adorably happy! And agreed, love the fact that Harry was carrying the baby. Makes me think he'll not only be a hands on dad, but is giving Meghan the help and support she needs to rest and recover.

One thing that did annoy about this press conference was the reporters questions. I know stupid questions will be asked, but asking "who does the baby look like?" was just ridiculous. The baby is barely three days old. It's not going to look like anyone at this point. 

Anyway, congrats to them again!

I know right.  I am Asian and my husband is Caucasian (Italian).  My son looked super Asian when he was born.  Everyone was like OMG he looks just like you.  Well at 18 months now he looks just like his father, except for his nose.  He's got mommy's nose (thankfully :)

If you compared pictures of my son when he was first born and now, he looks completely different.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Enero said:

One thing that did annoy about this press conference was the reporters questions. I know stupid questions will be asked, but asking "who does the baby look like?" was just ridiculous. The baby is barely three days old. It's not going to look like anyone at this point.

I was once asked who a baby looked like. I said that he looked like himself. It was true then, it's true now.

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I hope they don’t give the baby too “old” of a name—1 that sounds too grown up on a days old baby or kid, that he has to grow into. But the thing is, most (at least male) royal names do sound too “old” for babies. I like William—didn’t think that was real “old” sounding; but I thought Henry was too “old” sounding, with Harry being only a little better. I hope they might lean more toward William-type names than Henry/Harry-type names. Not holding out hope. Guess we’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post

10 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I was once asked who a baby looked like. I said that he looked like himself. It was true then, it's true now.

Honestly, I'm one of those people who think all babies more or less look the same until about 6 months to a year, where they start to really come into their own. I'll hear people say a barely month old baby looks like the mother or father and "oh he has my nose" and I'll just be thinking, "uh yeah, if you say so".

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

He's adorable.  Well what we could see of him.   

Harry just adores being a dad, you can tell.  

I'm betting that Meghan loses her American accent and picks up a British one in the next few years.

Yeah, my late father had been born and grew up in New York and I once heard a recording of he'd made when he was eighteen about to be posted overseas for WWII and that accent was far stronger than when I was growing up by which time it had somewhat softened due to his having lived in the Southeast for decades and traveled many different places.  However; sometimes it would revert  to being stronger when he was with other New Yorkers (like my grandmother). Therefore, I think it's likely that the Duchess of Sussex will gain a more British accent over time but revert when she's around other US Americans.  I only hope that if it does, naysayers won't try to claim she affected it like many thought Madonna did during her lengthy  residence in the UK. 

  Of course, there are folks who keep their original accents their entire lives regardless of when they left their homeland. I mean Dr. Ruth Westheimer was sent out of Frankfort, Germany when she just ten and then lived in Switzerland, then Israel before emigrating to NYC as a young adult. Yet, in spite of becoming fully fluent in both Hebrew and English (to the extent of  achieving her doctorate in English), she STILL has a very pronounced  Bavarian accent! Somehow, I don't think the Duchess of Sussex will sound drastically different from the rest of the Royals as Dr. Ruth does from native New Yorkers. 

 Oh, and her son may have a very pronounced RP British accent most of the time, yet perhaps may mimic his mother when speaking to US American citizens including his maternal grandmother.  Of course, he hasn't done more than cry to exercise his lungs and for food so far so time will tell! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Baby Sussex looks like Winston Churchill, of course.  All babies look like Winston Churchill.

And they come with hats (/Toby, The West Wing).

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

From Inside EditionThis Woman Is Having Surgery to Look Like Meghan Markle

Good lord. Talk about being in the Cult of Meghan, a C-list actress who married well.

Not that I agree with your assessment of the Duchess of Sussex . However; it does seem as though that person is unhealthily obsessed with HRH to a Single, White Female roomie degree!  Yes, I think the Royals better put that one on their watchlist to make sure she doesn't get anywhere near them!

Edited by Blergh · Reason: one wasn't lonely enough here
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They just showed him on GMA. He’s cute, I think, even though he was only napping in his daddy’s (Harry’s) arms & we didn’t see that much of him. Harry was in a tan-ish suit, white shirt, & dark tie, & carrying the baby. Mommy Meghan looked good too, in a sleeveless white dress that I think she also wore before she got pregnant & had to dress for the bump. She used words like “magical” & “a dream” to describe how it felt to be a mom, saying also that she had the 2 best guys.

Here’s a closeup of the baby

Here are at least some of the video of Harry, Meghan & the baby talking to the press, plus a few more pics.

They say we’re supposed to learn the name this afternoon. He’s being introduced to the Queen & Prince Philip first, before that happens, apparently.

And in the interview, Harry said the baby had already met Prince Philip as they'd unexpectedly run into him in the halls at Windsor Castle.  Looking at the setting, it's hard to picture accidentally encountering anyone let alone the Prince on his way to the kitchen for a snack or whatever, but the story is kinda cute.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And in the interview, Harry said the baby had already met Prince Philip as they'd unexpectedly run into him in the halls at Windsor Castle.  Looking at the setting, it's hard to picture accidentally encountering anyone let alone the Prince on his way to the kitchen for a snack or whatever, but the story is kinda cute.

 Have you ever been to Windsor Castle? It's chock full of cubbyholes, hidden hallways, tunnels and a hodgepodge of architectural oddities so I think the story's possible yet I'm wondering why they may have let a 97-year-old be entirely unattended.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

 Have you ever been to Windsor Castle? It's chock full of cubbyholes, hidden hallways, tunnels and a hodgepodge of architectural oddities so I think the story's possible yet I'm wondering why they may have let a 97-year-old be entirely unattended.

Yep, I have, actually.  I presume that they were in the private part not open to the public where Philip and the Queen have spent most of their time over the past several years.  I'd imagine that's where they encountered him and not in the public portion.  I presume that there are also plenty of household servants and such working in their quarters and that they keep their eye on the Duke anyway,  He may well have a private attendant.  Harry seemed surprised that they'd encountered him, but that doesn't mean he was alone or that no one knew where he was.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching Sky News Live, waiting for the name drop. It's embarrassing when they show US news reactions. Unfortunately, they chose Fox News to show and those idiots calling the Queen "QE2" and then Strahan on GMA saying the baby should be named George. Yeah, that's William's kid, dumbass.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Archie is a bit of "huh, didn't see that coming" to me. Who knew Meghan and Harry were Archie Comics fans (yes, I'm choosing to believe that's the inspiration behind the name). But I love Harrison. 

Also, I think this should make it clear that people really need to stop paying attention to those British tabloids and royal writers who claim to be "insiders" because they know fuck all about Harry and Meghan's life since most of them could not have been more wrong regarding this baby. From the birthing plan, to the name, etc. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Archie is a bit of "huh" to me. Who know Meghan and Harry were Archie Comics fans (yes, I'm choosing to believe that's the inspiration behind the name). But I love Harrison. 

Well, Archie is a ginger!

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

Archie is one of those old-fashioned names that has become popular again in recent years - and Harrison is likewise quite trendy, but in this case is all kinds of apposite!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Archie is a very British name and I think it's wonderful.  I know a few Brits and 2 of them have sons named Archie.  They all look so happy and Harry looks to be proud of his new family. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Giant Misfit

Don't get snippy in your responses with other members' opinions with which you do not agree.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size