Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

10 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Why? She’s done nothing to them. It’s not always about them (Royal family).

Sure she did. She encouraged Harry to exit the Royal Family in what it seems to be a inconsiderate fashion. In this instance it has less to do with being royal and more to do with being a part of another family, especially Prince Harry's immediate family. 

6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Here’s my take- Harry, as a person, was never about the duty and the royal thing (based on personality type), and probably looked at his Philips cousins (Princess Anne’s kids) with a bit of jealousy- all the perks of the aristocratic British life with none of the duty. Had he been a female like grandchild of the Queen he might have had a naval career like his grandfather envisioned before King George VI died so young. 

He meets Meghan, falls in love, marries her and all that jazz, the harassment and racism he witnesses towards his woman (and child) is just the final reason to do something he wished he could’ve done from birth. As far as distance between William and Harry, I’m sure they still love each other and all but William has always been the mature responsible one, with a focus on duty and Harry was doing stupid shit in Vegas (photographed!!) and wearing swastikas on his arm at a costume party (which he did apologize properly for). After being Harry’s older brother for 36 years, William probably feels AGAIN, “Harry gets to go have fun and I’m stuck holding the bag, but that’s the way it’s always been so hot damn let me just get a drink and bitch about my little brother.” 

I think William and Harry will be fine. Harry still has his family and can see his cousins/William whenever he wants. The adjustment in family dynamics will take time. 

I agree. 

They might be fine in a few years, but it is just that - years. Now she gets to have just about everything she wanted - the royal fame, the baby, the money, her mom and her friends, while Harry now has a more delicate relationship with Prince William and reportedly lost most of his friends. Prince William, his only sibling and the one person that fully shares his grief over losing their mother. It seems that Meghan couldn't even wait it out a year or two for them to transition out of being senior royals while Duchesses Kate and Camilla both waited years to even marry into the royal family.  

I am not be too sympathetic about the supposed abuse Meghan Markle is experiencing compared to the absolute shit that Camilla went through with with her own sordid history with the Royal Family; and she still married Charles a full ten years after Diana died (and if she is smart, she will know better than to take the title "Queen" like she knew not to go by Princess of Wales).

Like I said, there isn't anything wrong with them wanting to step down as Senior Royals and even move away, but they shouldn't have blindsided his family like that. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

15 minutes ago, Dani said:

Source? I’ve only heard it said that he wants to “slim down” the monarchy and that the fight was over Beatrice and Eugenie becoming working royals. As long as they are not taking money from the Throne stripping their titles is unnecessary. 

Here's one article on it, which isn't the best, but it's too hard to find anything that isn't Harry & Meghan or Andrew related now. I've been seeing articles on it for years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

How do you know this? Why does Harry have no agency? I think it’s “inconsiderate” when your own family won’t stand up to the racist tabloids talking about the only black member of the family.

There’s nothing “supposed” about it. She was mistreated by British media. That is a fact. And you’re not sympathetic about someone being expose to racist treatment??

We are all commenting on things that no one knows about. For all we know the conspricy theories are true and they all worship satan and are controlled by the Illumanti. I even said Harry is more to blame for this situation. 

Sometimes I find the whole "racism" charge a bit overblown. I go to the alt right sites, and even them have less of an issue with her race and more of an issue with her being 3 years older, a divorcee and an American. There is some racist press and there is press that gives her fawning praise. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

32 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Sure she did. She encouraged Harry to exit the Royal Family in what it seems to be a inconsiderate fashion. In this instance it has less to do with being royal and more to do with being a part of another family, especially Prince Harry's immediate family. 

Why is there the assumption that this is Meghan’s decision? Harry has been vocal out his struggles since before he met Meghan. I’ve seen Harry wanting out coming since the first interview he gave about his mother’s death. He was clearly traumatized by the experience. 

24 minutes ago, GaT said:

Here's one article on it, which isn't the best, but it's too hard to find anything that isn't Harry & Meghan or Andrew related now. I've been seeing articles on it for years.

I’ve read several articles on it and the only consensus seems to be that he wants a smaller monarchy. Exactly how that will look no one knows. I’ve had seen some that said Andrew was pushing for his daughters to become working royals and that Charles fought that. Charles already won that battle so stripping his nieces of their titles would be a meaningless and petty gesture at the moment. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 12

38 minutes ago, Dani said:

Parliament isn’t involved in titles and styles. Those are determined by letters patent issued by the Monarch. Parliament can pass laws that influence the Monarchy and succession laws but the rest is handled by the queen. 

He’s not giving up his being an HRH he’s just choosing not to use it. He will still have the exact same rank. It’s just like how Camilla is the Princess of Wales even if she chooses to go by the Duchess of Cornwall. She still holds the rank associated with being the Princess of Wales.

Parliament is involved in titles, even though it is the monarch who creates them. There were a couple of cases back in WWI where grandsons of Queen Victoria holding British dukedoms had them revoked due to supporting Germany. King George V couldn't do it, it took an Act of Parliament. Parliament really doesn't want to give a monarch the power to yank titles at whim considering it would apply not only to her royal family, but to the whole peerage system.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

More importantly, Harry is not giving up his place in the line of succession.   He is still right there behind Louis and ahead of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.    

Remember Andrew complaining this his daughters shouldn't have to curtsy to Kate because they are the only princess of the blood of their generation?   You don't see Anne bitching about shit like that.    

I'm surprised they aren;t going part-time.   The Wessexes are part-time and get funds WHEN performing Royal Duties.   Same with the Gloucesters and the Kents.   I don't see why the Sussexes couldn't do the same.   Unless it is to shut up the public about THOSE PEOPLE receiving any public funds.   

This is a bigger break than planned.   I guess it's to give them all the space they need.   The Queen was quite clear this was about her grandson's happiness.   She even said how quickly Meghan became a member of the family (take THAT evil half sister).

• Like 10
  • Laugh 4

58 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Exactly.  It is similar to the way that Prince Edward's children are technically Prince and Princess and entitled to use HRH but he and Sophie declined to use those titles.  Or the way that Harry and Meghan have referred to their son as Archie Mountbatten-Windsor but he could be referred to as Lord since his father is a Duke.  Just like Harry and William used Wales as their surname back in their school days even though Mountbatten-Windsor is the family name.

Yup yup. 

37 minutes ago, Luciano said:

Parliament is involved in titles, even though it is the monarch who creates them. There were a couple of cases back in WWI where grandsons of Queen Victoria holding British dukedoms had them revoked due to supporting Germany. King George V couldn't do it, it took an Act of Parliament. Parliament really doesn't want to give a monarch the power to yank titles at whim considering it would apply not only to her royal family, but to the whole peerage system.

Thanks. I should have left out the part about titles but I wasn’t thinking about the broader impact of titles as far as the peerage system and the House of Lords. Did that Act of Parliament happen around the same time George V decided to limit who would be born a Prince or Princess?
I do believe that the Queen can revoke an HRH without involving Parliament. 

35 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Remember Andrew complaining this his daughters shouldn't have to curtsy to Kate because they are the only princess of the blood of their generation?   You don't see Anne bitching about shit like that.    

There actually have been reports that Anne refused to curtsy to Diana. I believe that Kate, Meghan and Camilla only outrank the hereditary princesses when their husbands are with them. 

Edited by Dani
  • Useful 4

prince-harry-and-duchess-meghan-will-continue-to-be-financially-supported-by-prince-charles

"Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, will no longer receive public funds for royal duties moving forward, according to Buckingham Palace. The Sun’s royal correspondent Emily Andrews tweeted on Saturday that the Duchy of Cornwall Estate gives the couple just under $3 million annually."

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

13 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I hope it’s not true. Mainly because if it’s true then the usual suspects will lay the blame squarely at Meghan's door and say they the stress of it all was too much for him. 

A few pages back, I said that I thought the British tabloids probably already had stories written and ready to post when Philip dies about how Harry & Meghan (and let's face it, probably more Meghan, right?) caused him to shuffle off this mortal coil, not the fact that he's in his late 90's and faced multiple health issues in recent years.  I'm sure a version of this will be trotted out when the Queen dies too.  

The real crisis may come 20-30 years from now when Charles and his siblings are out of the picture due to death, disgrace or age, and it's all up to William, Kate, and their three children, and suddenly those kids want to opt out. After all, can you imagine what would have happened if it had been William who said, "You know, this life I've been raised to lead?  I don't think so."    So what happens if George, Charlotte, and Louis start thinking Uncle Harry, Aunt Meghan, and cousin Archie have it pretty good?  

I had to laugh when Kate mentioned at some appearance this week that she thought her family was complete, that William didn't want more children.  I'm sure there's some in the Palace who would be overjoyed to hear that another Cambridge was on the way.  For them, it would be a welcome distraction.  Of course then cue all the stories about how with four kids, William and Kate are just like the Queen & Philip, and how the pregnancy was a poke in the eye to Harry & Meghan who have said they would have not more than two children due to the earth's problems.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

It is easy to dismiss racism as overblown when you are a not a person of color.  The fact that you go to alt right sites says alot.....

Yep. The danger of modern day racism and sexism is that it is much more nuanced and therefore easy to dismiss or excuse. Even reasonable but unaware people can think the person complaining is just being overly sensitive. 

5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Came to share this. 

Using vs Having Titles as @doodlebug reminded us above.

I really don’t think that is accurate. They used the phrase “stripped of their HRH title” which is not what has happened based on what has been reported. It also says that Harry and Megan are no longer allowed to use HRH because they are no longer working royals. That also doesn’t appear to be true because Beatrice and Eugenie are not working royals but they still use HRH. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Calvada said:

A few pages back, I said that I thought the British tabloids probably already had stories written and ready to post when Philip dies about how Harry & Meghan (and let's face it, probably more Meghan, right?) caused him to shuffle off this mortal coil, not the fact that he's in his late 90's and faced multiple health issues in recent years.  I'm sure a version of this will be trotted out when the Queen dies too.  

The real crisis may come 20-30 years from now when Charles and his siblings are out of the picture due to death, disgrace or age, and it's all up to William, Kate, and their three children, and suddenly those kids want to opt out. After all, can you imagine what would have happened if it had been William who said, "You know, this life I've been raised to lead?  I don't think so."    So what happens if George, Charlotte, and Louis start thinking Uncle Harry, Aunt Meghan, and cousin Archie have it pretty good?  

I had to laugh when Kate mentioned at some appearance this week that she thought her family was complete, that William didn't want more children.  I'm sure there's some in the Palace who would be overjoyed to hear that another Cambridge was on the way.  For them, it would be a welcome distraction.  Of course then cue all the stories about how with four kids, William and Kate are just like the Queen & Philip, and how the pregnancy was a poke in the eye to Harry & Meghan who have said they would have not more than two children due to the earth's problems.  

The tabloids will definitely try to blame Harry for breaking Philip's heart when he shuffles off the mortal coil.  There will be no mention of Andrew and his escapades.

The monarchy will adapt.  It always does.   I don't see William or George abdicating their duty to the Firm.  What Charlotte and Louis do is anyone's guess.   The eldest is always raised differently than the spare.  That has been true throughout history.  The idea of a working royal is still a new concept and can always change.  

Speaking of Kate and William, I caught a few snippets of a royal watching podcast.  Apparently Harry and Meghan wanted to do more as royals, but were told they could not do more appearances than William and Kate.  The Cambridges have not done too many official appearances because they are busy raising their kids.  This did not sit well with Meghan who is more of a go-getter than Kate.  I can see how this would chafe.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Dani said:

I really don’t think that is accurate. They used the phrase “stripped of their HRH title” which is not what has happened based on what has been reported. It also says that Harry and Megan are no longer allowed to use HRH because they are no longer working royals. That also doesn’t appear to be true because Beatrice and Eugenie are not working royals but they still use HRH. 

Yes you’re right, but Beatrice and Eugenie were never working royals, they got their titles via birth, without any expectation they would “Work for it” as Prince Charles had two boys before they were born- so nothing about them has changed. Harry (and his spouse) were expected to be working royals......so maybe that’s the distinction?

3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The monarchy will adapt.  It always does.   I don't see William or George abdicating their duty to the Firm.  What Charlotte and Louis do is anyone's guess.   The eldest is always raised differently than the spare.  That has been true throughout history.  The idea of a working royal is still a new concept and can always change.  

No I don’t see William or George stepping away. The heir is treated differently than the spare for sure, and there are the personality types of the spares to consider. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Dani said:

It really is no different than Camilla not using Princess of Wales because she knows people would freak out. She’s the Princess of Wales and Harry and Meghan are still HRH’s. They’re all just going to pretend they’re not rather than deal with the backlash from people who overreact to everything. 

That’s a really good comparison. That view makes sense. 

• Like 8

“My wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences — a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son… My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.” —Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Oct. 1, 2019

Not surprised, the writing was on the wall.

• Like 16
  • Sad 8

47 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

It is easy to dismiss racism as overblown when you are a not a person of color.  The fact that you go to alt right sites says alot.....

21 minutes ago, Dani said:

Yep. The danger of modern day racism and sexism is that it is much more nuanced and therefore easy to dismiss or excuse. Even reasonable but unaware people can think the person complaining is just being overly sensitive. 

I am a person of color (East Asian Indian) so I guess I can speak about racism. Some people say "nuanced," I say that people are showing how thin skinned they are because the major battles over discrimination have been fought and won. 

My issue isn't that they are leaving, it is that they handled very poorly and for maximum drama. 

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1

I heard on the news tonight, the HRH is going away so that the Sussexes can sign business deals without the Queen's permission.   Now THAT makes sense.   If you are not longer acting in the Queen's name, you don't have to worry about cashing in on the Family.   Even if well, you are.   I mean face it, if they were just Harry and Meghan, Duke and Duchess of Sussex with no relation to the Royal Family, no one would care about them.   When was the last time you  paid attention to what the Duke of Northumberland was up to?

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Coming or going, Meghan gets the blame -- and it's because of her race

From the moment Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made their relationship known to the public in 2016, the message many Britons sent to her was clear:

You aren't one of us, and you aren't welcome.

Meghan, a biracial, divorced American actress, was far from what many envisioned as a fairy-tale match for a beloved member of the British royal family. While many in the UK welcomed her, the British tabloid media and a large swath of the Twitterverse were not kind.

It became so bad that Kensington Palace released a statement scolding the press about its treatment of her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 17

22 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

When was the last time you  paid attention to what the Duke of Northumberland was up to?

The man owns Hogwarts! Well, sort of, as Alnwick Castle is where they filmed outdoor scenes in the early Potter movies and is home to stunning gardens and a library I want to live in. That’s literally one of two non royal dukes I know anything about so I’m delighted to contribute my minuscule knowledge. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 5

24 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

Coming or going, Meghan gets the blame -- and it's because of her race

From the moment Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made their relationship known to the public in 2016, the message many Britons sent to her was clear:

You aren't one of us, and you aren't welcome.

Meghan, a biracial, divorced American actress, was far from what many envisioned as a fairy-tale match for a beloved member of the British royal family. While many in the UK welcomed her, the British tabloid media and a large swath of the Twitterverse were not kind.

It became so bad that Kensington Palace released a statement scolding the press about its treatment of her.

I was just going to post that article from CNN.  Thank you for doing so.

The article says some very uncomfortable truths.  Meghan is biracial, but people are seeing her as "that black woman who took away Prince Harry." 

Seriously.  Doesn't Harry have a mind of his own?

It's the old story, black people, black women are judged more harshly for just breathing.   Think about all the white people int he US lately who have called the police on black folks who were just...being black.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Like 21
  • Sad 7

This whole thing has made me very sad. From 2004-2010 I posted on a British parenting website that I loved very much, I found it to be much better than any American forum out there, and I wanted to be an honorary Brit. Then I quit. After Andrew the pedophile, I went back to see what  insightful things they had to say, since so many of the reputable news sources in the UK are behind paywalls, and they did have things to say, but not as much as I thought.  I went back again for this, and about 9000 messages later, and  the vast majority of "news" links are from The Daily Mail (!!) and Blind Gossip (!!!) the overwhelming consensus on the site is Camilla and Kate are wonderful, (which cracked me up, since when I was on there, they were known as Princess Horseyface and Waity Katie) and Meghan is complete trash,  only married for the title, and a chance to cash in, and Harry is a dolt. Also, no racism from the press, and she's planned to separate him from his family from the beginning. And they keep asking each other if they are all ok, because "nobody ever asks them that". I no longer want to be an honorary Brit. You go Harry and Megs. Go far, far away and never look back.

The one thing I did learn is there are message boards out there for people who severely dislike Meghan that have instructions on how to slam Meghan  1)  in a way not look like a bunch of nutters that hate her, and give tips on how to direct conversation so they can turn the tide of opinion against her, or 2) goad people who are praising her into getting into a huge fight on the thread, and get mods to shut it down. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I heard on the news tonight, the HRH is going away so that the Sussexes can sign business deals without the Queen's permission.   Now THAT makes sense.   If you are not longer acting in the Queen's name, you don't have to worry about cashing in on the Family.   Even if well, you are.   I mean face it, if they were just Harry and Meghan, Duke and Duchess of Sussex with no relation to the Royal Family, no one would care about them.   When was the last time you  paid attention to what the Duke of Northumberland was up to?

That makes sense but if it’s true it’s a new thing or the Queen approved everything in the past. Andrew has been involved with shady deals for years. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, estellasmum said:

This whole thing has made me very sad. From 2004-2010 I posted on a British parenting website that I loved very much, I found it to be much better than any American forum out there, and I wanted to be an honorary Brit. Then I quit. After Andrew the pedophile, I went back to see what  insightful things they had to say, since so many of the reputable news sources in the UK are behind paywalls, and they did have things to say, but not as much as I thought.  I went back again for this, and about 9000 messages later, and  the vast majority of "news" links are from The Daily Mail (!!) and Blind Gossip (!!!) the overwhelming consensus on the site is Camilla and Kate are wonderful, (which cracked me up, since when I was on there, they were known as Princess Horseyface and Waity Katie) and Meghan is complete trash,  only married for the title, and a chance to cash in, and Harry is a dolt. Also, no racism from the press, and she's planned to separate him from his family from the beginning. And they keep asking each other if they are all ok, because "nobody ever asks them that". I no longer want to be an honorary Brit. You go Harry and Megs. Go far, far away and never look back.

It is sad, and it's like that CNN article said.  As long as a black woman is going along to get along, everything is fine but as soon as she wants to do something else, something that maybe some white people don't like, then she's evil incarnate.  I mean look at all the blowback Beyonce got when she did the "Formation" video.  People were going crazy like, "OMG, the dancers have big afros and....they're doing Black Panther salutes...." and I was like, do these people realize that Beyonce is black? 

But it was all good when she was singing "Single Ladies." 

• Like 10
  • Laugh 4

37 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It is sad, and it's like that CNN article said.  As long as a black woman is going along to get along, everything is fine but as soon as she wants to do something else, something that maybe some white people don't like, then she's evil incarnate.  I mean look at all the blowback Beyonce got when she did the "Formation" video.  People were going crazy like, "OMG, the dancers have big afros and....they're doing Black Panther salutes...." and I was like, do these people realize that Beyonce is black? 

But it was all good when she was singing "Single Ladies." 

Meghan married into a heavily regimented family. What annoys me is, like Diana, she knew what she was getting in to and could have opted out if she didn't want to or didn't think she could conform. Instead she went ahead and now wants the Firm to conform to her wishes. She basically signed a contract and is now weaseling out.

There are so many people that know her (including members of her own staff) who have little or nothing good. It cannot always be others, sometimes its her.

I don't think she should go along because of her color but because of the agreement she made.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

It amazes me that people think she only married Harry to get the title -- and she always intended to separate him from his family.   

I've actually read in more than one place that she married him to be part of the Royal family but her cunning plan all along was to get him to move to Canada with her so she could be nearer her friends.  I mean as you do.  Marry a rich prince so you can be a rich princess (or equivalent) then move to Canada.   Living the dream.   

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 17

46 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

This is a perfect example of what the CNN article said, that no matter what it's all Meghan's fault.  Like Harry doesn't have a mind of his own.

People were pissed that she was even marrying into the royal family (imagine a biracial woman thinking she's good enough blah blah blah).

And now they're like, "How dare you leave."

WTF.

Like I said before, her being biracial was the least of her problems. She had plenty of other things going against her, namely being previously married and 3 years older than Harry, that people found problematic. Basically the things that worked against Wallis Simpson.

Was it all Meghan's fault, no and I think Harry should have thought it through a bit more instead of falling into his impulsivity, but I doubt very much that she was some passive player in all of this. There should have been a more thoughtful way of leaving "the Firm" than what they ended up doing. Unlike Diana, who was a teenager and then barely into her twenties when she became a part of the royal family, Meghan is a mid thirties successful actress. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Sure she did. She encouraged Harry to exit the Royal Family in what it seems to be a inconsiderate fashion. I

And you know this how? You can't drop something that inflammatory without citing some reputable sources. 

1 hour ago, PennyPlain said:

I've actually read in more than one place that she married him to be part of the Royal family but her cunning plan all along was to get him to move to Canada with her so she could be nearer her friends.  I mean as you do.  Marry a rich prince so you can be a rich princess (or equivalent) then move to Canada.   Living the dream.

And people know this how? It reads like inflammatory rhetoric made by people bitter that Harry married someone who wasn't them, who now spend their free time obsessing over complete strangers.

Like I said up-thread, you gotta keep the masses outraged about things that are completely none of their business to get the clicks.

And since I really want to get away from this manufactured drama and back to the clothing and jewels, here's a puppers wearing a tiara. I think it may give kitty a run for their money

700-01236562en_Masterfile.jpg

Edited by theredhead77 · Reason: rhetoric and "reauthorize" are not the same (correct a spell check misfire)
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I mean look at all the blowback Beyonce got when she did the "Formation" video.  People were going crazy like, "OMG, the dancers have big afros and....they're doing Black Panther salutes...." and I was like, do these people realize that Beyonce is black? 

Hee! That did lead to an amazing SNL skit, though.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

5 hours ago, Dani said:

Thanks. I should have left out the part about titles but I wasn’t thinking about the broader impact of titles as far as the peerage system and the House of Lords. Did that Act of Parliament happen around the same time George V decided to limit who would be born a Prince or Princess?
I do believe that the Queen can revoke an HRH without involving Parliament.

Yes, I think the monarch could strip an HRH through letters patent. That's how Diana and Sarah lost theirs, no Parliament involved in that particular issue.

Going back to George V, his LP limiting the royal family was published in November 1917. The Titles Deprivation Act was approved by the King a few weeks earlier in the same month, but the titles were officially revoked in 1919. George V didn't give a reason why he issued that LP, but taken together with everything else, including the Act, it would be a good guess that it was partially because this limited royal family would be the ones who had the most stake in its survival. He was going to stamp out as much of the German in that family as he could.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dani said:

I think them not using the HRH is like the decision to pay for Frogmore’s renovation. It’s completely unnecessary but they are doing it because anything else will result in a lot of bitching and moaning about them being ungrateful and hypocrites. Ultimately it’s a meaningless gesture. 

It really is no different than Camilla not using Princess of Wales because she knows people would freak out. She’s the Princess of Wales and Harry and Meghan are still HRH’s. They’re all just going to pretend they’re not rather than deal with the backlash from people who overreact to everything. 

I agree with you but I also think it was good that Camilla was given a different title. Diana is always going to be Princess of Wales and associated with that. Most people are going to think of her when it comes to that title. In a couple decades when George is Prince of Wales and marries enough time will have passed to see another woman in that title. Right now its too associated with Diana and I really don't think it would have been fair to Camilla to end up with that title. I know Camilla was hated but Duchess of Cornwall is a different title that she could make her own. If say Camilla died and Charles remarried that woman should have a different title from Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. Its not just them. If say William and Kate divorced or Kate died and William remarried that woman should have a different title the Duchess of Cambridge.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree with you but I also think it was good that Camilla was given a different title. Diana is always going to be Princess of Wales and associated with that. Most people are going to think of her when it comes to that title. In a couple decades when George is Prince of Wales and marries enough time will have passed to see another woman in that title. Right now its too associated with Diana and I really don't think it would have been fair to Camilla to end up with that title. I know Camilla was hated but Duchess of Cornwall is a different title that she could make her own. If say Camilla died and Charles remarried that woman should have a different title from Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. Its not just them. If say William and Kate divorced or Kate died and William remarried that woman should have a different title the Duchess of Cambridge.  

I agree that it was the right decision to not go with Princess of Wales. That title is just too big of burden for anyone to deal with.  But I hope that they don’t stick with their initial decision to have Camilla use Princess Consort instead of Queen Consort. 

The most interesting question for me is what title William and Kate will use once Charles becomes King. If Charles doesn’t make William The Prince of Wales it will lead to negative headlines. Using Cornwall will be spun as siding with Camilla over Diana. Whatever they decide will have a lot of baggage associated with it. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 4