Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

31 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I am considering printing a color photo of one of those tiaras, cutting it properly and putting it on my head as my "reviewing documents and responding to emails" tiara.

I have a (plastic) tiara I call my "discovery tiara"   

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I have a (plastic) tiara I call my "discovery tiara"   

Discovery as in the legal term or discovery as in you're going on some archeological digs to dig up di-no-saur bones?

I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park and would 110% go visit if it were real but please don't go starting shit in your discovery tiara to make Jurassic Park become real. The planet is already on fire. We don't need dinosaurs running around, too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Discovery as in the legal term or discovery as in you're going on some archeological digs to dig up di-no-saur bones?

Legal term.   Answering or drafting it to the other party.    It makes it a little less tedious.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

What was I thinking...I'm not stealing a tiara at all, ever, newp, not me.

I am considering printing a color photo of one of those tiaras, cutting it properly and putting it on my head as my "reviewing documents and responding to emails" tiara.

As someone who can get headaches from just wearing a ponytail, this is my favorite idea so far. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anduin said:

I really don't understand why Thomas is so intent on being a complete and utter asshole. Every time there's a chance to do the right thing, or at least not do the wrong thing, he decides to be a dickhead.

I honestly think Thomas has the same problem as Samantha, they're jealous of Meghan. He worked in Hollywood too, but never got the level of fame Meghan did. I think somewhere in his mind he thought he was going to get some kind of reflected glory & influence when Meghan married Harry, & when he didn't, he reacted like an asshole. As long as he keeps making statements, he keeps what little fame he has alive.

2 hours ago, Broken Ox said:

I wore a (sadly, plastic) tiara to get my car worked on at the dealership one day. Got me fast service. Pretty sure it's because they thought I was bat-shit crazy and wanted me far away as fast as possible, but whatever.

If that gets you faster service, it's tiara time for me!

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

I like the blackened steel tiaras I found online. Very evocative of 1910s/20s glamour.  I have a soft spot for art deco though. Not many people could pull it off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I think somewhere in his mind he thought he was going to get some kind of reflected glory & influence when Meghan married Harry,

Except if he bided his time, he would have.    I mean whoever heard of the Middletons before Kate started dating William?    You think people aren't buying from Party Pieces just because the daughter of the owner is going to be the next Queen?   Sure they can't cash in directly, but they can't help what other people do.   Then there was Pippa.   Do you think she would have gotten a book deal if the whole world hadn't seen her ass at the Royal Wedding?   They are doing quite well by keeping their mouths shut and letting people make their own assumptions.  

But noooooo, the Markles have to run their mouths in order to cash in on the connections.   Thereby ruining it.   For which they naturally blamed the Duchess instead of their own big mouths.

Back to tiaras.   I sent my hubby the link to Tiarapedia and said I wanted a tiara.   Reason #487 why I married him, he actually looked through and sent me back links to some of the specifc ones.   Is he actually buying me a tiara?   It is to laugh.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 18

4 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Except if he bided his time, he would have.    I mean whoever heard of the Middletons before Kate started dating William?    You think people aren't buying from Party Pieces just because the daughter of the owner is going to be the next Queen?   Sure they can't cash in directly, but they can't help what other people do.   Then there was Pippa.   Do you think she would have gotten a book deal if the whole world hadn't seen her ass at the Royal Wedding?   They are doing quite well by keeping their mouths shut and letting people make their own assumptions.  

But noooooo, the Markles have to run their mouths in order to cash in on the connections.   Thereby ruining it.   For which they naturally blamed the Duchess instead of their own big mouths.

The difference between the British & Americans. The British understand how things work with the Royal Family, but Americans don't so the Markles treated the whole thing like a reality show & shouted their business out to everyone.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, GaT said:

The difference between the British & Americans. The British understand how things work with the Royal Family, but Americans don't so the Markles treated the whole thing like a reality show & shouted their business out to everyone.

I think you're right the Americans don't (generally) know how things work with the Royal Family but with the Markles you have to add in that Meghan was already estranged from her father's family.  Then there's the added ugly dollop of racism thrown in thanks to the always delightlful Samantha who seems to believe she knows all there is to know about being part of the Royal circle.  

Which reminds me - do we know that Meghan's father is actually saying he will testify or is this tidbit coming only from Samantha?

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

12 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

If you check the whole story, it seems that Frogmore cottage only had a skeleton staff of exactly 2 permanent employees, that no one was laid off and those people affected were both given similar jobs within Windsor Castle's many households.  But why let facts get in the way of a salacious headline?

Exactly - that headline was the cue for outrage over the Sussex's (Meghan really) putting a whole lot of people out of work.  No doubt it will work with the kind of people who read the Daily Mail for their news.

• Like 15

While the tabloids are busy with their usual tactics Meghan has been working in Vancouver. 

• Like 23

15 hours ago, Anduin said:

I really don't understand why Thomas is so intent on being a complete and utter asshole. Every time there's a chance to do the right thing, or at least not do the wrong thing, he decides to be a dickhead.

I don't disagree with you about this. However, I would not blame the Duchess of Sussex if she believed that, for a brief period in his life, he HAD behaved as a decent and reasonable person- namely the time he'd courted then wed her mother Doria which resulted her own conception. Too bad Mr. Markle  seemed to revert to earlier form then worsen shortly after that happened. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GaT said:

16 hours ago, Anduin said:

I honestly think Thomas has the same problem as Samantha, they're jealous of Meghan. He worked in Hollywood too, but never got the level of fame Meghan did. I think somewhere in his mind he thought he was going to get some kind of reflected glory & influence when Meghan married Harry, & when he didn't, he reacted like an asshole. As long as he keeps making statements, he keeps what little fame he has alive.

I agree with you. Also he’s like a lot of assholes that think because they have a working reproductive system they are owed utter loyalty and obedience from their progeny. Also I think there’s some racism and sexism thrown in there, Thomas Markle isn’t the first white man to treat his non white children horribly (not saying he was a good father to his other children, he wasn’t!!) and think they should just be grateful to be acknowledged and for his attention. Also Meghan is a woman, she should do what he says. 

I don’t think he would dare act this much of a fool towards a son who was white (but he would still be an ass). 

• Like 16

10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But noooooo, the Markles have to run their mouths in order to cash in on the connections.   Thereby ruining it.   For which they naturally blamed the Duchess instead of their own big mouths.

I think this surprises me the most. The Markles had a chance to "play" it right and end up probably with connections or spending time rubbing elbows with royalty by simply pretending to a "good" sister, brother and father. So happy for their sister, wish them the best, saying nice things, and etc. Had they done that her father probably would have gone to the wedding and been present for other things. Maybe her siblings because if they played it right people might wonder why Meghan wasn't inviting them to her wedding when they came off so nice. It might make Meghan look bad and possibly have to invite them. 

Not only did they not do that it doesn't even seem like it occurred to them that being nice or faking being nice would work better. Somehow all three seemed to think badging, insulting and saying horrible things would totally make it happen. What? Insulting your sister, writing a letter to her fiancé to break up with her, and say nasty things doesn't work? Being the sister trashing your sister about how terrible she is and bad to her family, even though she lost custody of all her kids? Hiring a photographer to follow you around and keep blabbing to the tabloid doesn't work anymore? Who knew! I'm amazed by how completely stupid they are. 

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Dejana said:

Doria is American and has conducted herself with total grace. Tackiness, jealousy and narcissism are not unique to a particular nationality. Through the years, British tabloids have paid loads of money to their countrymen to spill their guts in embarrassing, attention-seeking, tell-all interviews. Harry could have just as easily fallen head over heels for some C-list British actress from one of their soap operas or something, with relatives just as dysfunctional as the Markles. It's not like there aren't toxic, estranged families all around the world.

I realize things hindsight 20/20 and its not uncommon for a nice woman to end up marrying a crappy person. But its really hard to imagine how someone like Thomas Markle ended up getting someone like Doria to marry him. She seems to outclass him in everyway. Its hard to imagine he managed not be an jerk or idiot long enough to get her to marry him. He doesn't seem like he could manage that for very long. I suppose he could have been better then but its hard to see. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I realize things hindsight 20/20 and its not uncommon for a nice woman to end up marrying a crappy person. But its really hard to imagine how someone like Thomas Markle ended up getting someone like Doria to marry him. She seems to outclass him in everyway. Its hard to imagine he managed not be an jerk or idiot long enough to get her to marry him. He doesn't seem like he could manage that for very long. I suppose he could have been better then but its hard to see. 

He was younger then and probably not as bitter about life- hence being able to be “nice” for a longer period of time. He also may have had some moments of self awareness and seen Doris and Meghan as his “second chance” after he fucked things up with his older kids/first wife, but in the end was a selfish ass. My BFF has a similar story, she was her Dad’s “second chance” (born when he was in his late 50s) and he had run his older grown daughter and first wife away with his craziness, meanness and controlling ways. My BFF stopped speaking to her Dad at 19 and hasn’t seen him since- she now understands why her older half sister made the choice she did (she saw her once at a distance at an uncle’s funeral when she was little, but never spoke to her). 

Doris was also younger then and may have been misguided (like many are) that she could “change him”. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Camille said:

This is upsetting, but sadly not surprising to read:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-meghan-markle-targeted-by-hundreds-of-racist-and-sexist-tweets-amid-plan-to-step-back-184133588.html

All these despicable people have just proven Harry and Meghan's point.

If they dislike Meghan so much, they should be happy to see her go? Jeez, the woman can't do anything right in some people's eyes!

Also, this is a generalization, but I do detect some anti-American, or "anti-Yank" sentiment on the part of some Brits and the British press. The fact that Meghan is biracial, divorced, and American seems to play a role in how she's been treated, imo.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Adiba said:

If they dislike Meghan so much, they should be happy to see her go? Jeez, the woman can't do anything right in some people's eyes!

Exactly. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the headline that she was being so subjected to racist abuse because all I could think was "What else is new?"

6 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Also, this is a generalization, but I do detect some anti-American, or "anti-Yank" sentiment on the part of some Brits and the British press. The fact that Meghan is biracial, divorced, and American seems to play a role in how she's been treated, imo.

I completely agree. If she were British at least, one could assume that they wouldn't want to move, so her being an American unfortunately adds to the idea of her stealing him away.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I think this surprises me the most. The Markles had a chance to "play" it right and end up probably with connections or spending time rubbing elbows with royalty by simply pretending to a "good" sister, brother and father.

There was no chance of this with the two spawn of Thomas Markle because by the time Meghan met Harry, she had had no relationship with either of those two waste of space. A fact many people just chose to ignore or dismiss to spin whatever narrative they wanted on whatever particular day.

Meghan Markle, in 2013, so three years before she met Harry, referred to herself as an only child in an interview. There was no relationship to save and there were no connections or rubbing of elbows that was ever going to happen for those two losers. Period. 

13 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Because it's like someone said on social media, when all this broke, it's like the bullies being pissed off when their victim moves away and so they can no longer bully them. Naturally you can see how upsetting that would be to them.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 16

Meanwhile, in "so Piers Morgan isn't the only creepy and obsessed as fuck weirdo over there", this post came across my twitter timeline. 

The screencaps are from an article by Rebecca English, one of the Royal Rota people (I refuse to acknowledge these people as journalists) who works for the Daily Mail. 

Please note that this woman is married with a child. And swear to God, I read those lines with the very uncomfortable and slightly gross feeling that I was reading the whinging of a lover scorned by an ex who had moved on.

Girlfriend came ever this close to flat out screaming, "Harry liked me, he acknowledged me until that bitch showed up". Harry doesn't have any pet bunnies does he? Just asking.

Someone wrote this on another board and I'm inclined to wonder myself, what the hell kind of pheromones do Harry and Meghan give off that people seem to lose their ever loving mind after one or two conversations with them? Oh and English's Twitter bio picture is also one of her interviewing Harry years ago. Yeah...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 10
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, Adiba said:

If they dislike Meghan so much, they should be happy to see her go?

Yeah but she's taking Harry with her. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

37 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I see it as Harry, of his own accord, and love and concern for his wife and son, making what he feels are the best decisions for his family.

• Like 18

Frankly, I think had the Duke of Sussex stayed single, he'd have been wiling to endure whatever lies,cattiness and nastiness the rags threw his way until the day he died.

However; I firmly believe that he simply couldn't abide having the woman he loves and chose above all others as well as their entirely innocent baby treated this way- and since he saw no signs of ANY improvement on the rags' part happening, he was DONE and the Duchess of Sussex merely supported his decisions. And both wanted to have the final (and ONLY say) about what kind of life their son Archie is to have as virtually all other competent, non-abusive parents have re their minor offspring's lives so that's why they've kept him in Canada! 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

And the problem with a husband moving with his wife and son is....?

Thousands (if not millions) of people make this decision all the time. What's the big deal and how does it impact the life of anyone outside of their family?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Thousands (if not millions) of people make this decision all the time. What's the big deal and how does it impact the life of anyone outside of their family?

This contingent of the British press/populace want Harry to stay and ditch Meghan.  Harry and Meghan would get divorced and Harry could marry a more suitable English Rose.  How Archie fits into this delusion is anyone's guess.  

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

How Archie fits into this delusion is anyone's guess. 

I think they’d just keep claiming that Archie isn’t really his.  The crazies have no sense of reality.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

19 hours ago, Adiba said:

It's like the people who would repeatedly slight Meghan as a "mediocre actress". I would always think, "Well, if someone was going to walk away from acting to become a royal, better that it's a person who supposedly isn't very good at it and was only so famous, right?" I think the internet has made many far less tolerant about people/things they don't like being popular. They get together and fixate on the object of their ire in a way that wasn't possible before we were all so connected. Not that there weren't obsessed stalker types before, but the web makes the rage more collective.

The tabloids were always going to pit William and Harry's wives against each other and it depended on the woman, which angle(s) they would use. When Harry was dating Chelsy, she was more fun than Kate but her family's money was sketchier. Cressida OTOH was more of a blue blood, so the tabloids would try elevating her above Catherine. Suppose the actress who'd agreed to marry Harry  wasn't Meghan, but Jennifer Lawrence: there wouldn't be racial attacks, but still some "she's American and vulgar and an actress and will never be royal!" takes. If Harry had ended up with Emma Watson, the tabloids wouldn't have slammed her past in acting nearly as much and probably made her out to be "better" than Kate, at least at first. It's hard to say; the media narratives change. Fergie was once a breath of fresh air compared to Diana, until she wasn't.

It's really all of it with Meghan: she's biracial, she's American, an actress, divorced, [slightly] older than Harry, ran a lifestyle blog: each is a thing that would have upset some people but altogether is a true bonanza of "outrage" in royal watching circles. And that was before she wanted to do things differently. You would think the royal rota would be thrilled with the endless clickbait Meghan provides, as surely their nonsense/awful stories about her generate far more traffic and income than "Cressida's mum is posher than Carole Middleton!" pieces (an actual thing I read on the Daily Mail once). But no, it's really about Harry not picking the woman and living the life they want him to, therefore he (and his wife) must be punished for not bending to their will.

Edited by Dejana · Reason: typos, grammar, punctuation
  • Like 22

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

None at all. The problem is that even a normal woman will get backlash for supposedly having stolen her husband/boyfriend from his friends and family and/or having done something detrimental to his career, so you can imagine the vitriol with regards to famous people. The Real Life section of the Yoko Oh No trope page was HUGE before it was cut, not only including the Trope Namer, but the love interests of athletes, actors, musicians, and yes, royalty, citing the negative way they're viewed by the fans.

Just after this story broke, there was a very good article about how the woman is always blamed for sowing discord even if she hasn't done anything wrong or that supposed discord is actually her trying to help him or prop him up.

• Like 15

When Kate married William there was outrage from some truly delusional women that he wasn't marrying THEM.

Meghan taking Harry away is the same, only with racial undertones.   He is THEIRS, not hers.   He is supposed to be with THEM, not HER.   Any her.    Meghan being biracial, divorced, an American and, gasp, an actress only gives the truly delusional more fodder for their belief that she bewitched him away from his twu luv -- THEM.   

In other words, people be cray-cray.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This contingent of the British press/populace want Harry to stay and ditch Meghan.  Harry and Meghan would get divorced and Harry could marry a more suitable English Rose.  How Archie fits into this delusion is anyone's guess.  

3 hours ago, Camille said:

None at all. The problem is that even a normal woman will get backlash for supposedly having stolen her husband/boyfriend from his friends and family and/or having done something detrimental to his career, so you can imagine the vitriol with regards to famous people. The Real Life section of the Yoko Oh No trope page was HUGE before it was cut, not only including the Trope Namer, but the love interests of athletes, actors, musicians, and yes, royalty, citing the negative way they're viewed by the fans.

Just after this story broke, there was a very good article about how the woman is always blamed for sowing discord even if she hasn't done anything wrong or that supposed discord is actually her trying to help him or prop him up.

Oh, no. I totally get it. People need to take a step back. At this point they need to take a seat. The level of entitlement the people have into the lives of the strangers is really horrifying. The obsession is not healthy and anyone who is angry or upset at a decision two adults made for their family, anyone who blames Meghan, thinks Harry has no spine, whatever, needs to seek some serious therapy. Serious.

55 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The Princess Royal visiting a prison and wearing some SASSY boots.

Where do I get those boots?

• Like 10
  • Laugh 3

So this is way off the wall and I've heard it nowhere but could there be more going on with Harry and Meghan then we know?

Things are moving so fast.  MOO but could they be separating?  I'm seeing pictures of her driving and picking up a friend at an airport.  Harry is no where around and I don't think he's due back in Canada for a while.

His private meeting with the family with no Meghan input.

I dunno but something's not exactly right with all this.

As I said just my own thoughts!

29 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

So this is way off the wall and I've heard it nowhere but could there be more going on with Harry and Meghan then we know?

Things are moving so fast.  MOO but could they be separating?  I'm seeing pictures of her driving and picking up a friend at an airport.  Harry is no where around and I don't think he's due back in Canada for a while.

His private meeting with the family with no Meghan input.

I dunno but something's not exactly right with all this.

As I said just my own thoughts!

I doubt it because making an announcement like this would just draw more attention to them and if they separated I would expect it to be more low key. Harry is in London to deal with the logistics but he also has had a few big events for his charities to handle. Plus Harry is supposed to be very close to Prince Phillip so that might be what is keeping him in London. 

Although it isn’t hard to imagine that everything they are dealing with has put a strain on their marriage which may have resulted in this decision. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 10

47 minutes ago, Dani said:

I doubt it because making an announcement like this would just draw more attention to them and if they separated I would expect it to be more low key. Harry is in London to deal with the logistics but he also has had a few big events for his charities to handle. Plus Harry is supposed to be very close to Prince Phillip so that might be what is keeping him in London. 

Although it isn’t hard to imagine that everything they are dealing with has put a strain on their marriage which may have resulted in this decision. 

Agreed--I think an actual separation would have been handled more quietly and with less of a united front between them and versus the palace.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry has stayed behind because he has things to wrap up and if they've decided if it is better that he fight battles with his own family. A lot of regular, ordinary Joe couples I know have that rule, and I don't blame them if they do too. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, GaT said:

Apparently there are rumors spreading like wildfire that Phillip died today. Not the first time this has happened, I guess if it's true they will announce it tomorrow.

https://www.truthorfiction.com/prince-philip-is-dead-rumor-spreads-like-wildfire/

I hope it’s not true. Mainly because if it’s true then the usual suspects will lay the blame squarely at Meghan's door and say they the stress of it all was too much for him. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5