Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

4 hours ago, phoenics said:

Oof.  I feel really sorry for Beatrice.  None of this is her fault.  I have a feeling this wedding is going to be private.  Poor Beatrice.

Right? Why should she have to pay for her father’s actions? I swear, I feel so sorry for the two York princesses. They seem so normal compared to their tabloid-headlining parents.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Aw, what a wonderful retrospective of Charles and Anne being bros for 70 years. I think the sweetest one was maybe Charles fixing the plume on Anne’s hat. 

Anne's 70s bouffant is a thing of wonder. I'm both awed and frightened by it. And I can't not laugh at 22 year old Charles being in his grandpa bests for their Kenya visit. Where was his wardrobe adviser? 

I honestly thought Uncle Dickie was Gregory Peck in one of the 1950s photos. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Royal trivia watchers may want to pay attention to #15 of 50 of the siblings about to board a train with what appears to be a late-middle aged nun accompanying them. In actuality, she was their paternal grandmother Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece (who'd been born in Windsor Castle under her great-grandma Victoria's watchful eye)! That same photo appears in her official bio by Hugo Vickers. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Royal trivia watchers may want to pay attention to #15 of 50 of the siblings about to board a train with what appears to be a late-middle aged nun accompanying them. In actuality, she was their paternal grandmother Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece (who'd been born in Windsor Castle under her great-grandma Victoria's watchful eye)! That same photo appears in her official bio by Hugo Vickers. 

I noticed that.    But it was labeled 1955, and I wondered if she had ever visited before coming to live with her son after the Greek Coup.   Guess she had.   

Anne was very much a 60s chick.    The green mini dress in the family photo.   You just know the Queen tried to tell her it was not appropriate.   

On another note, the Nobel Prize Ceremony is tonight.    Gorgeous gowns and even more gorgeous jewels will be on display.    

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Geeky CamelThings That Will Happen When Catherine Becomes Queen Consort of England

I changed her name to “Catherine“, which she uses as the Duchess of Cambridge & will use when she becomes Queen Consort, from “Kate”, which was used in the article title.

It's cute how they try to sell the narrative of the Middletons being middle class. Bah. They're not aristocracy, but they're certainly not middle class. Maybe Grandpa Middleton was, I dunno. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

It's cute how they try to sell the narrative of the Middletons being middle class. Bah. They're not aristocracy, but they're certainly not middle class. Maybe Grandpa Middleton was, I dunno. 

Class is structured somewhat differently in the UK than in the USA. In the USA it’s mostly about money, education and then ethnic background. In the UK class is about lineage, money, education (in that order); with more focus on the “socio” of “socio-economic” than in the USA. I think they consider the Middletons middle class because they began their adult life as salaried employees, started their company and built their wealth through their own business rather than inheriting it and living off of the income it created. They earned their wealth which means they aren’t upper class in the way British people understand it. 

But yeah I agree with you as someone from the USA- they were middle class when the kids were little, but now they are certainly wealthy. 

• Like 12

10 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Right? Why should she have to pay for her father’s actions? I swear, I feel so sorry for the two York princesses. They seem so normal compared to their tabloid-headlining parents.

I do feel for Princess Beatrice- she is not responsible for anything her father did and it’s perfectly natural for her to want a big wedding and engagement party like her sister had. Damn shame her father is such an embarrassment. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Class is structured somewhat differently in the UK than in the USA. In the USA it’s mostly about money, education and then ethnic background. In the UK class is about lineage, money, education (in that order); with more focus on the “socio” of “socio-economic” than in the USA. I think they consider the Middletons middle class because they began their adult life as salaried employees, started their company and built their wealth through their own business rather than inheriting it and living off of the income it created. They earned their wealth which means they aren’t upper class in the way British people understand it. 

But yeah I agree with you as someone from the USA- they were middle class when the kids were little, but now they are certainly wealthy. 

I'm from neither the UK nor the US. 😀 And I think the middle class thing is simply the better narrative here. Girl next door marries the future king is much more appealing to the masses than young woman from a very wealthy family marries the future king. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I'm from neither the UK nor the US. 😀 And I think the middle class thing is simply the better narrative here. Girl next door marries the future king is much more appealing to the masses than young woman from a very wealthy family marries the future king. 

True. Lol. 

• Like 3

Princess Madeline is so pretty and her tiara is my favorite. 

Not crazy about the back tattoo on Princess Sofia or her tiara.

• Like 4

I like Princess Madeline’s tiara best. The back tattoo that Princess Sophia has looks fine to me, I don’t think it takes away from the aesthetic of the outfit. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GaT said:

Interesting that Princess Sofia swaps out stones on her tiara to match her outfit, I didn't realize people did that.

I was surprised by that. Looking at pictures I like the version with pearl’s best. 

2019-0803-palmette04.png

This also reminds of Princess Mary’s tiara/necklace. Crown-Princess-Mary-new-Tiara.jpg

• Like 4

I like the pearls, but need to see the emeralds.  Queen Silvia’s is exactly what I would expect for a queen.  It makes a statement!

I like the quilted dress, but I am a sucker for black and white.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I like the pearls, but need to see the emeralds.  Queen Silvia’s is exactly what I would expect for a queen.  It makes a statement!

I like the quilted dress, but I am a sucker for black and white.

Here’s the original emerald version and the one with just diamonds. I never knew a tiara could be so versatile. 
Princess-Sofia-Wedding-Tiara-Emerald-v-D

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

From Page SixThe Duchess of Sussex’s Jewelry Designer Friend, Jennifer Meyer, Has Been Ordered to Stop Using Pictures of HRH to Advertise and Sell Her Jewelry

Jennifer Meyer is the ex-/estranged wife (not sure how far in the divorce process they are) of actor Tobey McGuire. Ms. Meyer was asked directly by Buckingham Palace to stop using pictures of her friend, HRH Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, wearing the jewelry to help sell it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From Page SixThe Duchess of Sussex’s Jewelry Designer Friend, Jennifer Meyer, Has Been Ordered to Stop Using Pictures of HRH to Advertise and Sell Her Jewelry

Jennifer Meyer is the ex-/estranged wife (not sure how far in the divorce process they are) of actor Tobey McGuire. Ms. Meyer was asked directly by Buckingham Palace to stop using pictures of her friend, HRH Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, wearing the jewelry to help sell it.

Now THIS is breaking Royal Protocol.   They are not model to be used for ad campaigns.   A discrete "By Royal Appointment of" is fine.   But using your connections to the Royal Family to promotoe your business is Just Not Done.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Now THIS is breaking Royal Protocol.   They are not model to be used for ad campaigns.   A discrete "By Royal Appointment of" is fine.   But using your connections to the Royal Family to promotoe your business is Just Not Done.

Breaking what protocol?  What connection?  The first mention this Jennifer Meyer being referred to as a "friend" of Meghan's is with the tabs.  There are no references of any "friendship" prior to this.  Meghan spoke of her friends beforehand and Meyer wasn't included.  The reality seems more Meghan is simply another client who likes Meyer's jewelry and Meyer decided to use it for marketing purposes.   The tabs are always declaring Meghan is "friends" with people she's only known from a passing acquaintance or professional basis.  Now that being said, it's not unusual for the Palace to warn people/companies to stop using photos of royals in advertisements to sell their products.  Tabs just take that extra step with Meghan and add fake "friendships" to spice up the story and ensure those angry clicks needed to pay holiday bills.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 5

Did the Duchess of Sussex herself tell Ms. Meyer that she could use photos of herself wearing said jewelry in advertising OR did Ms. Meyer just use photos of the Duchess wearing her items for the ads without even asking her? Because if the latter case happened, THEN I can see why she got a 'cease and desist' from the Duchess's grandmother-in-law's camp. 

• Like 7

Pictures on Daily Mail of some of the royals attending a funeral service. Sophie and Camilla look lovely. 

1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Did the Duchess of Sussex herself tell Ms. Meyer that she could use photos of herself wearing said jewelry in advertising OR did Ms. Meyer just use photos of the Duchess wearing her items for the ads without even asking her? Because if the latter case happened, THEN I can see why she got a 'cease and desist' from the Duchess's grandmother-in-law's camp. 

I don't believe the pictures can be used, even if Meghan told Meyer she could use them. It is against the rules. Royals cannot be used for promotions or advertising. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

If the Ms. Meyer used the pics  for advertising without having gotten her alleged friend the Duchess's express permission, then I think Ms. Meyer would not only have deserved the Palace's reprimand but I hope the Duchess herself chews her out for that!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If the Ms. Meyer used the pics  for advertising without having gotten her alleged friend the Duchess's express permission, then I think Ms. Meyer would not only have deserved the Palace's reprimand but I hope the Duchess herself chews her out for that!

Page Six article

Meyer — who has said of Markle, “I get really excited when I see her in our pieces; she just radiates amazing energy” — initially sent Markle a box of goodies. But she was told that Prince Harry’s wife couldn’t accept freebies. Instead, Markle bought the jewelry and was seen wearing Meyer’s jewels during her recent trip to South Africa, where she swapped her engagement ring for Meyer’s $250 turquoise ring.

In return, we’re told, Meyer entered into a legal agreement with the palace, under which she would be bound by the same rules as all designers who dress members of the royal family. A royal source said: “Simply put, this means they can’t brag about working for the royals, they can’t advertise their association with them.”

But another source added that despite the non-disclosure agreement, “Jennifer’s team didn’t understand that members of the royal family cannot be used in advertising. They happily removed the links. I can only imagine Jennifer must be mortified.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

10 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

It really comes down to whether the retailer has gotten permission or not. Meyer did not, so they told her to stop. 

Let's hope that's the END of this whole thing. The only part which I hope the Duchess of Sussex thinks through more carefully is whether it was so smart to replace her engagement ring with a designer's ring. I mean, even taking off the whole aspect of royalty off the table, an engagement ring DOES seem more significant than  a high school class ring. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Let's hope that's the END of this whole thing. The only part which I hope the Duchess of Sussex thinks through more carefully is whether it was so smart to replace her engagement ring with a designer's ring. I mean, even taking off the whole aspect of royalty off the table, an engagement ring DOES seem more significant than  a high school class ring. 

There is an argument to be made for not wearing a 350k engagement ring when making certain visits. "Yes, I know your family subsists because anyone over the age of nine has to work, but my ring could feed that entire family for a few decades."

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

There is an argument to be made for not wearing a 350k engagement ring when making certain visits. "Yes, I know your family subsists because anyone over the age of nine has to work, but my ring could feed that entire family for a few decades."

That is a very valid point.  I was curious and looked up some pictures from when the Cambridges were in Pakistan, and Kate had her engagement visible even when visiting a village.  

• Like 1

Kate was wearing the Lover's Knot tiara tonight and an Alexander McQueen navy velvet gown. She was also wearing a sash and medals signifying the honors bestowed to her by the Queen.

• Like 7

On 12/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, Dani said:

Here’s the original emerald version and the one with just diamonds. I never knew a tiara could be so versatile. 
Princess-Sofia-Wedding-Tiara-Emerald-v-D

Wow - this is soooo cool.  I love how she can switch it up according to what she's wearing... I wonder how they do that... 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Sentaler (also here) has been using pictures of the DoS on their website for over a year - if they haven't been screamed at to stop doing it, I doubt Meyer has... this literally feels like a made up controversy to drag DoS while she's not even visible by the tabs.

That and we don't even know if Meyer and DoS know each other personally or are friends.  I certainly never heard of her being connected to DoS before this.

My point is - I don't believe a word of that article until I see a statement from BP myself.

One reason Meyer may have removed some Instagram posts is because the Daily Mirror article that all of the Page 6 articles are based on came out way before.  Then Meyer likely saw it and worried over it and took the pics down, and then Page 6 came along and elaborated further on the already made up Mirror story.

Again - Sentaler currently has pics of MM in both their red and camel coat ON THEIR WEBSITE RIGHT NOW and they've had it up for a year with no blowback.

I've also seen websites advertise with pics of the DoC with none of this blowback.

It's a non-story, but I'm sure there will be tons of people who believe the articles and blame DoS.

Edited by phoenics
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

The future QC looks really nice tonight in her dress and tiara - it's really flattering for how Camilla wears her hair.  I really love this tiara - what's the name of it - does anyone know?

Camilla-Duchess-of-Cornwall-news-pictures-Greville-tiara-Buckingham-Palace-1054517.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, phoenics said:

The future QC looks really nice tonight in her dress and tiara - it's really flattering for how Camilla wears her hair.  I really love this tiara - what's the name of it - does anyone know?

Camilla-Duchess-of-Cornwall-news-pictures-Greville-tiara-Buckingham-Palace-1054517.jpg

It is called the Boucheron Honeycomn tiara. Really beautiful! 

Honeycomb

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It is called the Boucheron Honeycomn tiara. Really beautiful! 

Honeycomb

Ha! I should have guessed that - it does look like a honeycomb!!

It's really pretty with Camilla's hair... I'm not sure anyone else could pull that off.  You gotta have big hair!

• Like 5

I was just reading about the Honeycomb tiara and it was the Queen Mother's and then was passed to Camilla when she and Charles married. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I was just reading about the Honeycomb tiara and it was the Queen Mother's and then was passed to Camilla when she and Charles married. 

Ironic, since one of the reported reasons that Charles and Camilla delayed in marrying is because the Queen Mother made the Queen promise not to give them permission to marry until after she (the QM) was dead.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 4

8 hours ago, Steph J said:

Ironic, since one of the reported reasons that Charles and Camilla delayed in marrying is because the Queen Mother made the Queen promise not to give them permission to marry until after she (the QM) was dead.

But hasn’t it also been reported that Charles was the QM’s favorite, QM didn’t like Diana, and she gave Charles and Camila a quiet place to meet?  I can’t keep track of the narrative anymore.

• Like 2