Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

Recommended Posts

Happy birthday to Charles. I agree with everyone's assessments that he is happy, relaxed and in a really good place in his life. Yes, I think if he had to do it again, he and Diana would have both done things differently. I don't even know what Diana would be doing today had she lived, aside from being a devoted mother and grandmother. She went so young and so soon after the very ugly, messy and public divorce - but I think eventually they would have at least been civil co-parents and co-grandparents. Being an introvert and a big reader myself, I can relate a little bit to him.

I do like that he lets a bit of that dry British wit out from time to time. Maybe one of you can help me out on this. I seem to remember that he said in a self-deprecating way that he was glad that his sons took after their mother in the looks department (Diana had been gone for a few years at that point.) Does anyone else remember that?

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

I do like that he lets a bit of that dry British wit out from time to time. Maybe one of you can help me out on this. I seem to remember that he said in a self-deprecating way that he was glad that his sons took after their mother in the looks department (Diana had been gone for a few years at that point.) Does anyone else remember that?

Yes, I remember! Charles knows good looks aren’t in his “pro” column of life. Lol.
 

But William is looking more and more like him each day- he’s one of those rare men who PEAKED at 25 and then went downhill in looks from there. And it’s not just the hair loss either, his skin doesn’t look as vibrant and his features are changing (his nose is getting longer and his face is drooping). He’s not even 40! (Shallow I know). 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. Charles knows good looks aren’t in his “pro” column of life. Lol. William is looking more and more like him each day- he’s one of those rare men who PEAKED at 25 and then went downhill in looks from there. And it’s not just the hair loss either. 

wow, I beg to differ about William. I think he has been looking so handsome lately. Who cares if he is balding. Harry is too. William is looking so fit and dressed so nicely. Very much looking like a future king.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I still think William has his mother's face. It's still hard to believe that he's older now than Diana was at the time of her passing, and that Harry is fast approaching that age (36).

  • Like 8
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

wow, I beg to differ about William. I think he has been looking so handsome lately. Who cares if he is balding. Harry is too. William is looking so fit and dressed so nicely. Very much looking like a future king.

I agree he has a fit body and dresses nicely, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder because to me his facial handsomeness has left him. Harry is balding, but hes still got a vibrancy in his face and they are only a few years a part. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I agree he has a fit body and dresses nicely, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder because to me his facial handsomeness has left him. Harry is balding, but hes still got a vibrancy in his face and they are only a few years a part. 

Okay, we can agree to disagree. I don't see any vibrancy in Harry's face lately. He actually looks quite miserable. He used to be such a fun loving, amiable and approachable guy. Now he appears pretty unhappy looking. Maybe his mental health issues are weighing on him. Just my opinion. 

I love seeing William and Kate on their outings. They both always look so pleasant and so engaged with everyone. To me, they seem to bring a lot of joy to people.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I love seeing William and Kate on their outings. They both always look so pleasant and so engaged with everyone. To me, they seem to bring a lot of joy to people.

Yes they do!! They seem to connect with the people they meet on their royal appearances. They do a lot of wonderful work with their charities and both are quite fashionable. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't see any vibrancy in Harry's face lately. He actually looks quite miserable. 

I think a lot of it has to do with the paparazzi and their constant hounding of Meghan. How anyone can live life in that kind of fishbowl is beyond me. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, merylinkid said:

He's a Prince.   And not half bad looking.   He doesn't NEED to trick women into being with him.   He could have a perfectly good relationship with an age appropriate woman.   he wants the power over the young women.    It's not about the sex, it's about the power.

Exactly - the same thing has been said about convicted sex offender Bill Cosby.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think Harry seems very happy when he is with his wife and son, and he has such a welcoming smile and glint in his eye when he meets people.  It’s only when he has to deal with all the nastiness that he looks unhappy, understandably so. 

William and Kate seem to balance each other out nicely.  If I had my choice, I’d want to meet Charles and Camilla with my second choice being Meghan and Harry, then Kate and William.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Neither William nor Harry has looks that would cause me to look twice if they weren’t royalty. They are both most average, but get a pass for being ‘royal’ hot. Kate and Meghan are far better looking than their husbands.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

I think Harry seems very happy when he is with his wife and son, and he has such a welcoming smile and glint in his eye when he meets people.  It’s only when he has to deal with all the nastiness that he looks unhappy, understandably so. 

William and Kate seem to balance each other out nicely.  If I had my choice, I’d want to meet Charles and Camilla with my second choice being Meghan and Harry, then Kate and William.

I would love to have a glass of champagne and a Marlboro Red with Camilla.  Harry is welcome to join us.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

And some are more worried now and not when he was stumbling out of clubs wasted, getting naked in Vegas hotel rooms?

 Old advice from MissAlmond:  When people tell you how much more fun loving and happy to be around you were during your dark, drunken days, walk in the opposite direction.  They do not have your best interests at heart.  Oh, and moisturize.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

Oh this is a bad, bad, bad idea.     

This will not go well.   Either he says something INCREDIBLY incriminating OR he lies badly.   Or both.   Either way, the better thing was to have his "taking a break from Royal Duties" for a long awhile.

  • Like 14
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh I cannot wait for this train wreck. I would say I am surprised he'd do this but then I'm not because I can believe his sheer arrogance and entitlement likely makes him truly believe he can simply "talk" his way out of this. And that people will actually believe his bullshit.

Well in any case it's not like anything will come of the bullshit he's sure to spew in this interview because it's not like the British media has to this point cared about the fact that there is very likely a high ranking rapist pedophile in the Royal Family.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well in any case it's not like anything will come of the bullshit he's sure to spew in this interview because it's not like the British media has to this point cared about the fact that there is very likely a high ranking rapist pedophile in the Royal Family.

Where oh where is the outrage an interview with Andrew is promoted and airing while the future king is on tour?  Matter-of-fact, where are the gossipmongers while the future king is on tour?  The disrespect!

It wouldn't surprise me if questions have been pre-approved. However, I can't wait to find out if Andrew actually does utter the "My fingers are too fat to be the ones in that obviously photoshopped picture" defense.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I’m sure if he says anything incriminating, the media will quickly discover a photo that Meghan once went out with chipped  nail polish.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Neither William nor Harry has looks that would cause me to look twice if they weren’t royalty. They are both most average, but get a pass for being ‘royal’ hot. Kate and Meghan are far better looking than their husbands.

I agree- I thought the same thing about JFK, like what’s all the fuss about?
 

William had a very nice looking face when he was younger, and I am bias because I think red heads are the cutest EVER so Harry’s red hair is appealing to me. I said “look if I could find a fat Harry I won’t mind being the fat Megan!”😝😝😝😝. Kate and Megan are very beautiful women, and naturally so, of course styling helps but I don’t doubt they “woke up like this” to a certain degree. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:
11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I agree- I thought the same thing about JFK, like what’s all the fuss about?

My mother in law, a diehard Republican, realized JFK would be coming past her office building in Dallas in November 1963, and she wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  As she told it, she went down and outside and stood near a group of nuns.  He drove past and smiled at the nuns, and she said his charisma was palpable.  She said she never felt that before or since, and years later she could still see and feel that wave of charisma just pouring off him.

By the time she got back to her building, rode up the elevator, and returned to her desk, he’d been shot.

  • Surprise 13
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

My mother in law, a diehard Republican, realized JFK would be coming past her office building in Dallas in November 1963, and she wanted to see what all the fuss was about.  As she told it, she went down and outside and stood near a group of nuns.  He drove past and smiled at the nuns, and she said his charisma was palpable.  She said she never felt that before or since, and years later she could still see and feel that wave of charisma just pouring off him.

By the time she got back to her building, rode up the elevator, and returned to her desk, he’d been shot.

That's an incredible story.

Back to the princes though, William's teeth are huge honking chiclets and Harry's teeth are weak little nubbins. 

Kate and Meghan both put in a ton of work, but both have great teeth.

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Where oh where is the outrage an interview with Andrew is promoted and airing while the future king is on tour? 

5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I’m sure if he says anything incriminating, the media will quickly discover a photo that Meghan once went out with chipped  nail polish.

That about covers it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Well since the issue of looks was brought up, in lighter news, apparently People Magazine readers think Harry's this year's Sexiest Dad. Of course People picked John Legend as the Sexiest Man Alive so yeah...

All joking aside, personally prince or not, I'd never give William or Harry a second glance (or first glance as the case may be). Not my type. Though I will say, what does work for Harry in my opinion is that, as the urban dictionary would say, boy's got a bit of swag. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, Crs97 said:

If I had my choice, I’d want to meet Charles and Camilla with my second choice being Meghan and Harry, then Kate and William.

My choice would actually be Prince Philip. Yes, he's had chronic "footinmouthitis" for decades - but has such a colorful personality that it would be fun to pick his brain. Plus, he and the Queen have the longest-running marriage in the history of the monarchy. They are proof that opposites attract. 

One of my favorite Philip stories is from 1979, when he visited the White House. He served two butlers drinks and made himself one, and the three enjoyed the drinks and a chat. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/18/obama-inauguration)

Here are 90 of his gaffes. His exchanges with Elton John are hilarious, and I find something endearing in the fact that he wanted a beer instead of the finest Italian wines served to him by the PM in Rome. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ninety-gaffes-in-ninety-years-2290148.html

Edited by catlover79
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

My choice would actually be Prince Philip. Yes, he's had chronic "footinmouthitis" for decades - but has such a colorful personality that it would be fun to pick his brain. Plus, he and the Queen have the longest-running marriage in the history of the monarchy. They are proof that opposites attract. 

One of my favorite Philip stories is from 1979, when he visited the White House. He served two butlers drinks and made himself one, and the three enjoyed the drinks and a chat. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jan/18/obama-inauguration)

Here are 90 of his gaffes. His exchanges with Elton John are hilarious, and I find something endearing in the fact that he wanted a beer instead of the finest Italian wines served to him by the PM in Rome. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ninety-gaffes-in-ninety-years-2290148.html

Yes he’s led such an interesting life, and his formative years were spent in such turmoil. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I just ran across this.  Maybe I missed it earlier this week?  Sounds like they had a fun visit, their first time meeting in person.  Baby Archie is 6 months old!

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/15/meghan-markle-secretly-invited-hillary-clinton-to-meet-baby-archie/

I thought this was really cute:

Quote

Markle has admired Clinton from a young age and even wrote to her when she was just 11 years old to demand her help with getting a “sexist” ad for dishwasher soap taken off TV. At the time, Clinton was the first lady.

The two apparently discussed that letter during their get-together.

I'll bet 11 year old Megan never imagined she'd be meeting her in person one day, not to mention marrying into the royal family! 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh this is a bad, bad, bad idea.     

This will not go well.   Either he says something INCREDIBLY incriminating OR he lies badly.   Or both.   Either way, the better thing was to have his "taking a break from Royal Duties" for a long awhile.

Seems to me that someone who can make the time to be interviewed by the BBC could make the time to be interviewed by the FBI.

  • Like 16
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Prince Andrew interview: I let the side down by staying with Jeffrey Epstein

Quote

In the BBC interview, Emily Maitlis asks the prince about Ms Giuffre's claims that in 2001, she had dined with him, danced with him at a nightclub, and went on to have sex with him at the house of a friend of the prince in Belgravia, central London.

The prince replied: "I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever."

I guess "I don't remember" is going to be a big part of the interview.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, GaT said:

Prince Andrew interview: I let the side down by staying with Jeffrey Epstein

I guess "I don't remember" is going to be a big part of the interview.

"this lady."  She was a girl, you creep.

This whole "nothing happened, I was never there, the photo was doctored - just look at my fingers" defense would be more successful if he followed it up by talking. to. the. authorities.  If he was serious about clearing his name, he would take steps to clear his name. Instead of doing that he's obfuscating and deflecting and running away.

  • Like 16
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just Ugh. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, exhibit 1 that Elizabeth and her crew aren't better anyone else. Meghan Markle should throw this interview in face of all her critics as she tells them to fuck off.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Andrew should NOT talk to the FBI.   No way.   As a lawyer, the worst advice you can give your client is "Oh just talk to them, it will help."   It NEVER does.   The FBI is not there to clear someone's name.   It is there to find the perpetrators and bring charges.   If he talks, the next thing he will be indicted.   

Which okay, yes.   But as a lawyer and a lover of ALL the Amendments is not something ANYONE should voluntarily do.   It is on the Government to prove their case, not the person suspected to help them do so.

  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

This morning, the Duchess of Cambridge traveled to Norfolk for the launch of The Nook children's hospice. While she ultimately arrived at the engagement itself by car (in a stunning berry pink skirt suit by Oscar de la Renta that she's worn at least twice before), Kate traveled to Norfolk the same way most Londoners would: by train.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/kate-middleton-took-public-transit-to-her-royal-engagement-today/ar-BBWOVqU?li=BBnb4R7

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

The grandmother spoken about that Meghan helped cared for was her paternal grandmother. Something none of those other Markles bothered mentioning to tabloids while whining about their lack of a wedding invitation.   In pre-Harry interviews and The Tig, Meghan only spoke of three Markles. These three and only these three stood a chance of an invite:  Idiot Dad (refused to come).  Grandma Markle (deceased).  Ashleigh Hale (ain't nobody's business if I do).  The rest need to STFU and go ahead with that family reunion they keep claiming the fam needs but apparently can't have without TRH The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Meghan being there. 

7 hours ago, Dejana said:
Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

The Duchess of Sussex Reportedly Met with Hillary Clinton at Frogmore Cottage

Is there any evidence to support this? The fact that a tabloid story with zero evidence told by a royal reporter questionable track record gets picked up mainstream publications highlights the problem. 

6 hours ago, suomi said:
Quote

This morning, the Duchess of Cambridge traveled to Norfolk for the launch of The Nook children's hospice. While she ultimately arrived at the engagement itself by car (in a stunning berry pink skirt suit by Oscar de la Renta that she's worn at least twice before), Kate traveled to Norfolk the same way most Londoners would: by train.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/royals/kate-middleton-took-public-transit-to-her-royal-engagement-today/ar-BBWOVqU?li=BBnb4R7

I love the color of her dress. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, suomi said:

I hope that’s safe. I am thinking of how much of a logistical nightmare it would be to provide security on a crowded train and would hate to see her, or any other member of the RF, hurt. People are crazy, after all, and I am sure members of the royal family get so many threats. People have given the royals flack for using private transport, but honestly it’s doesn’t bother me for them to chose the more secure option.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Andrew should NOT talk to the FBI.   No way.   As a lawyer, the worst advice you can give your client is "Oh just talk to them, it will help."   It NEVER does.   The FBI is not there to clear someone's name.   It is there to find the perpetrators and bring charges.   If he talks, the next thing he will be indicted.   

Which okay, yes.   But as a lawyer and a lover of ALL the Amendments is not something ANYONE should voluntarily do.   It is on the Government to prove their case, not the person suspected to help them do so.

The Duke of York is a British subject so I'm not sure the FBI would be on his case- unless the U.S. government actually wanted to extradite him here for any crimes that may have been committed on U.S. soil.

 However; I wouldn't be upset if he spilled the beans to Scotland Yard about any possible crimes. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, Blergh said:

The Duke of York is a British subject so I'm not sure the FBI would be on his case- unless the U.S. government actually wanted to extradite him here for any crimes that may have been committed on U.S. soil.

He knew Epstein and was allegedly around when these crimes were happening. I imagine their angle is that they want to talk to him as a "witness" to see if he can shed any light on what was happening and who else might have been participating.

But he won't because he's implicated and the FBI darn knows he's implicated and he knows they know.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't watch the interview, but the Beeb has a review here that's rather more critical than I expected. They also have their live-reporting-as-it-happened piece up here, including a couple of initial headline reactions - The Express typically fawning, while the Mail, perhaps unexpectedly, is pretty scathing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

He is just too honorable of a man to have stopped being friends with a registered sex offender. Went to end the friendship but stayed for four days because it was "convenient". Because I guess suddenly NYC doesn't have hotels.

Has no recollection of the young woman but knows for a fact he could not have been there on the date she says because apparently he was at Pizza Express and remembers exactly what he ordered, all those years ago. Oh and also drags one of his daughters into this by claiming to have been with her. As if she'll do anything but feel like she has to back him up. Father of the Year there.

Thought Epstein's behavior was "unbecoming" after he "found out" about it when Epstein was arrested and charged for soliciting an underage prostitute. I loved that the interviewer at that time clearly stated, "unbecoming? He was a sex offender". 

That whole interview was in my opinion what arrogance, entitlement, hubris and having average to mediocre intelligence so you're stupid as fuck, all combined. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 15
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I hope that’s safe. I am thinking of how much of a logistical nightmare it would be to provide security on a crowded train and would hate to see her, or any other member of the RF, hurt. People are crazy, after all, and I am sure members of the royal family get so many threats. People have given the royals flack for using private transport, but honestly it’s doesn’t bother me for them to chose the more secure option.

Due to the potential security risk I’m betting she was only on the train for one maybe two stops then disembarked to be chauffeured the rest of the way. I’d be very surprised if she was on the train for more than 5 minutes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They are in a private car all to themselves and their entourage.   Or at least a private compartment.   These aren't commuter trains with big open cars and everyone jostling for a seat.   European trains have compartments with just a few people per compartment.

The Queen takes the train from London to King's Lynn when she stays at Sandringham.   I doubt it is any more dangerous for Kate to ride the whole way to her engagement than it is for the Queen.  

  • Like 7
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

They are in a private car all to themselves and their entourage.   Or at least a private compartment.   These aren't commuter trains with big open cars and everyone jostling for a seat.   European trains have compartments with just a few people per compartment.

The Queen takes the train from London to King's Lynn when she stays at Sandringham.   I doubt it is any more dangerous for Kate to ride the whole way to her engagement than it is for the Queen.  

But I believe Her Majesty has her own PRIVATE train car- and no doubt there's a security detail trailing her at ALL times she leaves one of her homes!  It's not as though the Queen stands in line to buy her ticket , strolls up to the train, takes a seat with the other passengers and then just rides the train solo by herself! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

But I believe Her Majesty has her own PRIVATE train car- and no doubt there's a security detail trailing her at ALL times she leaves one of her homes!  It's not as though the Queen stands in line to buy her ticket , strolls up to the train, takes a seat with the other passengers and then just rides the train solo by herself! 

Kate has security too.   She is not strolling up, buying a ticket and riding a train by herself either.   Look the Monarchy has been told to cool it with the private transport for awhile now.   This is not the first time that Kate has taken the same sort of transportation as the rest of us.   She's flown commercial airlines.   So why is it so hard to believe she took the train all the way?

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size