Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

2 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

The Princess Royal title is given to the eldest daughter of a reigning monarch. AFAIK, there can only be one Princess Royal at a time, so if Anne is still alive when William takes the throne, Charlotte wouldn’t be entitled to it

That's correct- and the previous Princess Royal had been George V's daughter Mary the Countess of Harewood who'd died in 1965. This means that Princess Anne COULD have gotten the title immediately afterwards but opted not to until she agreed to it in 1987 when the Queen wanted to recognize her daughter's hard work for the Save the Children organization.  Since the Prince of Wales has no legit daughters, that means the next possible Princess Royal would be Princess Charlotte of Cambridge but only she'd only get it upon the Duke of Cambridge's accession(NOT her grandfather's) AND after Princess Anne's death- and perhaps she herself might opt to resist it as did Princess Anne. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

The title of Princess Royal had been available since the death of Princess Mary in 1965.  Anne resisted it possibly for the same reasons that her husband and children didn't / don't have titles - something like how unnecessary it is, who can say, they don't exactly do revealing interviews.  It was pointed out, a bit snidely but also reasonably, that taking the title (in 1987, while on the road to divorce) changed her name from "Her Royal Highness The Princess Anne, Mrs. Mark Philips" to "Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal".

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

It was pointed out, a bit snidely but also reasonably, that taking the title (in 1987, while on the road to divorce) changed her name from "Her Royal Highness The Princess Anne, Mrs. Mark Philips" to "Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal".

I call that "Well Played".  

• Like 11
  • Laugh 3

5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I call that "Well Played".  

I think Anne is quite savvy, not to mention extremely hard working and devoted to the job of royalty rather than the perks.  She's given Britons value for the money, that's for sure.

• Like 12

From Today.com: The Duchess of Cambridge Stepped Out in a Pair of Chic Culottes

She’s wearing green longish pant-like things they’re calling “culottes”. When I was younger, I thought “culottes” were, basically, shorts with a moveable flap over the front of them—from the front, they were supposed to look like you were wearing a skirt, but from the back you were supposed to look like you were wearing shorts. My mom once bought me something that looked like that, anyway (shorts with a moveable flap in front), & she said those were culottes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

She’s wearing green longish pant-like things they’re calling “culottes”. When I was younger, I thought “culottes” were, basically, shorts with a moveable flap over the front of them—from the front, they were supposed to look like you were wearing a skirt, but from the back you were supposed to look like you were wearing shorts. My mom once bought me something that looked like that, anyway (shorts with a moveable flap in front), & she said those were culottes.

They seem a bit long for Culottes. What you're describing we called a "skort" when I was growing up.  She looks nice though.

• Like 8

Harry did a comic sketch with Ed Sheeran to recognize World Mental Health Day.

William, Harry, Meghan, and Kate Lend their Voices to New Mental Health Campaign

• Like 6

They also called those pants Gaucho pants in the 70's.  

I think the Duchess of Cambridge would look wonderful no matter what she wears.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They also called those pants Gaucho pants in the 70's.  

I remember them being called Gaucho pants, but to me, culottes were always wide leg shorts with the material in the front & back hanging so it looked like a skirt. I would just call these wide leg pants, not culottes.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jah1986 said:

They seem a bit long for Culottes. What you're describing we called a "skort" when I was growing up.  She looks nice though.

Agreed.  Those do seem long for culottes.  I think I would call those Gaucho pants.

The shorts with the flap are still called skorts.  I've seen them advertised in LL Bean.

• Like 5

In the UK, culottes are a kind of trouser with very wide legs - basically, what Kate is wearing in that article.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

18 hours ago, Llywela said:

In the UK, culottes are a kind of trouser with very wide legs - basically, what Kate is wearing in that article.

That's interesting. I'm in the US and to me, culottes are wide legged shorts that end just below the knees or above.

• Like 3

Re: culottes vs skorts.  I think you are all right.  In the late 60s/early 70s, culottes were loose fitting shorts, sometimes with a flap in front that made it look like a skirt, sometimes without.  Gauchos were pants that stopped just below the knee.  Most of the time they were tapered in at the knee, with the fabric blousing out above.  I used to make faux gauchos by tucking my pants into my boots.  I haven’t heard the term gaucho in years.  I guess culottes have become skorts.  So gauchos must now be culottes.

• Like 1

Looks like Thomas admits that the published version of the letter was an edited/redacted version. 

"I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan's friends in People magazine," he said. "I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn't seem loving to me. I found it hurtful."

https://www.eonline.com/news/1080216/meghan-markle-s-father-thomas-markle-explains-why-he-released-her-private-letter?fbclid=IwAR2Ftr0DURexCQgcZj5erepbT8UtTMVa19tFr_x7E3kMRaNn0CnjUwgvjEA

• Sad 3

33 minutes ago, bluphoenix451 said:

Looks like Thomas admits that the published version of the letter was an edited/redacted version. 

"I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan's friends in People magazine," he said. "I have to defend myself. I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn't seem loving to me. I found it hurtful."

https://www.eonline.com/news/1080216/meghan-markle-s-father-thomas-markle-explains-why-he-released-her-private-letter?fbclid=IwAR2Ftr0DURexCQgcZj5erepbT8UtTMVa19tFr_x7E3kMRaNn0CnjUwgvjEA

That's such a lame and transparent attempt at an excuse that it's not even funny. Wouldn't it have been easier for him to have just said, "Yeah, I BLEW it by blabbing Meghan's letter  to that rag and screwed up any chance of her ever trusting me or wanting anything further to do with me."?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bluphoenix451 said:

Gee Thomas, I can't imagine why. 

• Like 8

He was "forced" to release the letter? Was he held at knifepoint?

One phone call from Megan and it would have all stopped? Did it occur to him he can stop it by not whoring himself to the rags?

Just shut up and live your own life and maybe there's a small chance Megan will reach out someday. He's doing the complete opposite, so now there's zero chance.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

He was "forced" to release the letter? Was he held at knifepoint?

One phone call from Megan and it would have all stopped? Did it occur to him he can stop it by not whoring himself to the rags?

Just shut up and live your own life and maybe there's a small chance Megan will reach out someday. He's doing the complete opposite, so now there's zero chance.

Some people just have no self-awareness. Or they're actually in it for the publicity.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Dani said:

Reminds my of a classic narcissist rationalization technique. 

A Narcissist's Prayer

That didn't happen. 

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal.

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it. 

And if I did...

You deserved it.

I dealt with a narcissist and that's EXACTLY how they handled everything.

• Like 14

I'd love to know how much money has been made by Thomas and Samantha by selling their stories and interviews about Meghan.  Trashy people.

Meghans mother surely had her work cut out for herself with that side of the family when she was raising her!

• Like 8

I am digging the color of this dress. Hopefully they will release photos of the entire thing. I’m sure we will get more photos of the visit. 

Found one! It’s not a dress but tunic and pants- I like it.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am digging the color of this dress. Hopefully they will release photos of the entire thing. I’m sure we will get more photos of the visit. 

Found one! It’s not a dress but tunic and pants- I like it.

ET Online says what Catherine’s wearing is an example of traditional Pakistani clothing (the tunic over pants)—& (here we go again), that Diana wore something similar when she visited the country in 1996 (I assume with Charles, before the separation & divorce, but I could be wrong). Charles & Camilla also visited Pakistan between the visit involving Diana & William & Catherine’s current visit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BW Manilowe said:

ET Online says what Catherine’s wearing is an example of traditional Pakistani clothing (the tunic over pants)—& (here we go again), that Diana wore something similar when she visited the country in 1996 (I assume with Charles, before the separation & divorce, but I could be wrong). Charles & Camilla also visited Pakistan between the visit involving Diana & William & Catherine’s current visit.

Yes I see that it’s inspired by Pakistani fashion. Poor Kate, yes Diana also wore clothes too! (That were occasion appropriate) I mean the comparisons are too much. Kate wore blue, Diana wore blue! Kate wore black, Diana also wore black.....yes women do tend to wear clothes in public. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 12

If you ask me, the men in the Royal Family—in particular the Duke of Cambridge & the Duke of Sussex—have it fairly easy when it comes to dressing for an engagement or more formal event. They just have to wear the appropriate suit, tux, or other outfit & everyone thinks they look OK. But their wives are the ones who have to be more selective about what they wear because women’s fashion, accessories, hairstyles, & makeup are much more important things in society, for whatever reason, than men’s fashion is. Plus, they also have to be careful—or their protocol assistants do—to make sure that none of those choices will be considered culturally offensive in whatever country they’re visiting. Which is why it was very “safe” of Diana & Catherine, & their clothing assistants, to have their initial outfits be based on traditional Pakistani clothes. I’m assuming Catherine didn’t wear that the entire flight, considering how long it has to be from London, but that she excused herself & changed into it somewhere on the plane when they were about on approach for landing if not sooner (but not too soon).

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

If you ask me, the men in the Royal Family—in particular the Duke of Cambridge & the Duke of Sussex—have it fairly easy when it comes to dressing for an engagement or more formal event. They just have to wear the appropriate suit, tux, or other outfit & everyone thinks they look OK. But their wives are the ones who have to be more selective about what they wear because women’s fashion, accessories, hairstyles, & makeup are much more important things in society, for whatever reason, than men’s fashion is. Plus, they also have to be careful—or their protocol assistants do—to make sure that none of those choices will be considered culturally offensive in whatever country they’re visiting. Which is why it was very “safe” of Diana & Catherine, & their clothing assistants, to have their initial outfits be based on traditional Pakistani clothes. I’m assuming Catherine didn’t wear that the entire flight, considering how long it has to be from London, but that she excused herself & changed into it somewhere on the plane when they were about on approach for landing if not sooner (but not too soon).

I’m sure in the privacy of her home/the plane/accommodations Kate wears leggings and sweatshirts like the rest of us. But you’re right, she likely had her hair person (she tends to do her own makeup but wants her hair blown out just so) style her hair on the plane before landing along with changing clothes for the photo op. Will just changed into a suit. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

If you ask me, the men in the Royal Family—in particular the Duke of Cambridge & the Duke of Sussex—have it fairly easy when it comes to dressing for an engagement or more formal event.

And for all we know they wear the same suit over and over. But heaven forbid one of the women wear the same thing twice! It is always easier for men apparel wise. Pants, blazer, shirt, tie, done. So long as everything matches there's nothing else to think about. No worrying about showing too much skin, or looking too school marmish, or wearing something similar to something someone else wore.

Speaking of, where are the comments about Prince Charles having worn a suit on his trip to Pakistan and now his son Prince William is following in his father's footsteps by also wearing a suit on this trip to Pakistan? Why no comparison of them? Nope, it's all about how Kate wore something similar to something Diana wore in a similar situation which means...what? That they have similar taste in clothing? Is it a good thing? a bad thing? How is it remotely relevant to anything? 

I just don't get the constant need to compare Kate or Megan to Diana. Did Diana invent the concept of wearing clothes to places? I'm sure the Queen once wore a blue dress too.

I admit I like looking at the clothes, I think Kate has an amazing sense of style, but I don't really care beyond thinking "what a pretty dress/coat/outfit".

• Like 13
  • Laugh 4

I can vividly remember the media hype around Diana’s visit when they first wailed for days about how she couldn’t possibly wear a dress when she couldn’t show her legs and then acted like she cured cancer when she sat down and they discovered she wore pants underneath the dress.

I am also reminded of a male local news anchor who wore the same suit every day for a year after his female counterpart continued to receive comments about her outfits.  No one ever noticed, a fact he pointed out on his one year fashion anniversary.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 12

Of course, it's similar to what Diana wore.   Because Diana was following the QUEEN's tradition (somehow no one mentions that) of wearing an outfit in the country's national colors when starting a state visit.   Now Kate continues that tradition.    Because it's a good one.   It builds up good will right off the bat.    Not sure if Meghan did it in on the Africa tour, but I might have missed it being mentioned.   

• Like 13

Diana visited Pakistan three times during the 90's. The first visit, in 1991, was her first solo, official tour, conducted a year before she and Charles formally separated. During her private visits in 1996 and 1997, she performed fund-raising duties for the new hospital built by Imran Khan -- now Pakistan's Prime Minister -- and also met with the family of Dr. Hasnat Khan, the London-based cardiologist with whom she was involved. She died only three months after her final visit. 

• Like 5

What the ladies are wearing is called salwar kameez and it's pretty much the national dress of Pakistan and for the love of God this dress is so so common in South Asia. Of course Kate was going to wear salwar kameez in Pakistan! And of course she's going to wear green and white. I do like that she's incorporated her own style into her salwar kameez. The green one looks like one of her regular coatdresses, and the blue ombre one also looks like one of her regular dresses, just with pants underneath.

I'd like to see Will wear the men's version of salwar kameez (like Imran Khan is wearing) but I doubt that happens.

This color blue is super pretty on Kate:

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 12

Busy day for the younger royals. Harry and Meghan at the WellChild Awards today.

EG7rNltWoAA9Nkh?format=jpg&name=largeEG8FC-RWsAE6FHZ?format=jpg&name=largeEG8BphKWkAAHHUz?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 15

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe the scaled back wedding really is Beatrice's idea, but I can't help but feel like her choices are being limited by the reality that a big, splashy wedding would mean parading Andrew (and Sarah Ferguson, although for once she's the lesser problem) in front of the press and inviting further discussion about Jeffrey Epstein, and putting the members of the RF in the position of looking like they're supporting Andrew by being photographed with him (the Queen obviously doesn't mind this, but it's been a while since anyone else pictured at his side).

I hope I'm wrong and that she's getting the wedding that she wants, but given how front and center Andrew was when Eugenie got married, I'm thinking that "keep it low key" is the order coming from the top.

• Like 8
  • Useful 4

I think it is more the blowback from Eugenie wanting the big "Royal" wedding when she was so far down the line of succession.   Not wanting more bad press about the Princesses who are not senior Royals, she was instructed to tone it down.

On the other hand, it's the Daily Fail, so I am taking anything about a Royal Rulebook on weddings and Beatrice "ripping it up" with a very very very large grain of salt.   Something tells me that Rulebook also contains the nylons and wedges rules.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I think it is more the blowback from Eugenie wanting the big "Royal" wedding when she was so far down the line of succession.   Not wanting more bad press about the Princesses who are not senior Royals, she was instructed to tone it down.

People were angry that the taxpayers ended up paying about £2 million for security at her wedding, so I would think that has something to do with it.

This is kind of interesting, this video was posted on the House Cambridge Twitter account. Listen around the 0:08 mark, you can clearly hear someone say the words "Meghan" & "jealous". Now, it's obviously not Kate or William, & it could just be some random person close to the microphone, but whoever is in charge of their social media accounts had to have heard it & they posted it anyway. No surprise, it's causing talk.

Edited by GaT

5 minutes ago, GaT said:

People were angry that the taxpayers ended up paying about £2 million for security at her wedding, so I would think that has something to do with it.

But aren't the taxpayers going to have to pay millions in security regardless of how big or small the wedding is just by virtue of the fact that the Queen plus all the people in the line of succession from #1 to 20 (and presumably beyond, I'm just stopping there because it encompasses all the Queen's kids, grandkids, and great grandkids) are going to be there?

I mean what if something horrific happened and the Michael Kents ended up as the new king and queen?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

36 minutes ago, Steph J said:

I mean what if something horrific happened and the Michael Kents ended up as the new king and queen?

In that case, maybe fork up another bit of cash for security!

55 minutes ago, Steph J said:

But aren't the taxpayers going to have to pay millions in security regardless of how big or small the wedding is just by virtue of the fact that the Queen plus all the people in the line of succession from #1 to 20 (and presumably beyond, I'm just stopping there because it encompasses all the Queen's kids, grandkids, and great grandkids) are going to be there?

If there isn't a procession, they don't have to supply security for the whole route, they would just have to have the regular kind of security for when the Queen is somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Steph J said:

mean what if something horrific happened and the Michael Kents ended up as the new king and queen

I just caught a repeat of The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air where Will can't figure out what Geoffrey is so obsessed with looking after a visiting British dignitary, as "She's just a girl!"

"'Just a girl?!" If 895 members of the Royal Family instantly died, she would be the next Queen of England!"

Harry's Manly Tears strike again:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prince-harry-tears-remembers-keeping-230330252.html

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

6 hours ago, GaT said:

This is kind of interesting, this video was posted on the House Cambridge Twitter account. Listen around the 0:08 mark, you can clearly hear someone say the words "Meghan" & "jealous". Now, it's obviously not Kate or William, & it could just be some random person close to the microphone, but whoever is in charge of their social media accounts had to have heard it & they posted it anyway. No surprise, it's causing talk.

To me it sounds like someone saying, “They’re gonna to be so jealous. I said they’re gonna be so...” The first word does sound a lot like Meghan but the repeat doesn’t. 

• Like 3

I think Prince Harry is too scruffy looking and needs a shave and a haircut.  Just sayin'.

I wonder if it's a "thing" with gingers because Ed Sheeran looks unkempt too.

OhWell,

I think the Duke of Sussex's beard is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Let's keep in mind that he did NOT opt to shave it for his wedding but it's unknown whether his fiancee or 'the Boss' (his grandmother) had raised any objections prior to it.  Perhaps one or both did but he somehow made it clear that any objectors would have to learn to accept if not like that outward part of him if they truly love him. 

Ed Sheeran's not royal so he has full autonomy re his personal appearance but perhaps the Duke of Sussex ALSO may have declared independence re growing out his hair a bit.

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

OhWell,

I think the Duke of Sussex's beard is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Let's keep in mind that he did NOT opt to shave it for his wedding but it's unknown whether his fiancee or 'the Boss' (his grandmother) had raised any objections prior to it.  Perhaps one or both did but he somehow made it clear that any objectors would have to learn to accept if not like that outward part of him if they truly love him. 

Ed Sheeran's not royal so he has full autonomy re his personal appearance but perhaps the Duke of Sussex ALSO may have declared independence re growing out his hair a bit.

I have my doubts that Harry's facial hair is up to Queen Elizabeth to decide, but even if it is, who says she minds?

As for Beatrice's wedding, being lower key is probably a bit from column A and column B, multiple factors that played into making it (relatively) less grand.

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 6