Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

5 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

I thought Philip was the one who got hit? If so, how is this his fault?

I believe he pulled out into traffic.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

It seems he pulled out into oncoming traffic.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, katie9918 said:

He pulled out of a side road onto a main road, the other car had the right of way.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Calvada said:

They're probably trying to arrange some sort of deal to avoid them selling their story, so there are no "Duke Almost Killed My Baby!" type of stories.

Too late. The woman's already talking and plastered on the cover of a few British tabloids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I cannot believe they don't wear seat belts.  I've always wondered if Diana would have survived the crash in Paris if she had a seat belt on.  

Actually, this is one of the strange things about the crash, Diana always wore seat belts, and her family can't understand why she wasn't wearing one that night.

1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

He was blinded by the sun & pulled out in front of the car that hit him. It was technically his fault.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Calvada said:

I cannot believe they don't wear seat belts.  I've always wondered if Diana would have survived the crash in Paris if she had a seat belt on.  

That really surprises me. You'd think after that accident they'd all make sure to wear their seatbelts. Those I know who had a relative die in a car accident always make sure to put on their seatbelt. The one who's house was broken into make sure the security alarm is on. Its burned into their memories what happened when you don't or when you forget once. 

• Like 4

Turned on the Hallmark channel the other day (don't judge!) and who am I looking at but Meghan Markle. Because I'd never watched her in Suits, seeing her as an actress was too much cognitive dissonance, and I had to turn it off. 

• Like 1

The police have allegedly officially cautioned Prince Philip about driving without a seat belt.   I get it, he was a grandfather before seat belt wearing became law.   If you are used to not wearing one and think "well I am just on country roads I'm not going that fast" you don't always wear one.   But you would think he would wear one the day after a crash that FLIPPED his land rover.   

The thing is, the Royal Family could really set an example by conspicously wearing a seat belt at all times.     That is what he should be doing instead of showing the world that no one is going to make HIM stop driving until he is good and ready.   Prince Philip can be very stubborn at times.   This is not one of the times he should be.   

• Like 9

I think William and Harry wear seat belts, other than perhaps ceremonial drives when all other traffic is stopped.  For example, I don't think William and Harry put on seat belts when they headed to the Abbey for William's wedding.  But contrast bringing baby home from the hospital - William and Harry were held in Diana's arms, and George, Charlotte, and Louis were all strapped into car seats.  

The thought that Diana may have survived if only she had taken the few seconds to put on a seat belt is probably something that has caused William and Harry much anguish.  One would hope that if any good could come out of Diana's death, it would be W & H never putting themselves or their families at risk in that way.  

• Like 9

Maybe "inside sources" need to spend less time bitching to gossipmongers about "difficult duchesses" getting up early and sending emails and instead focus their time on getting difficult royals to wear seatbelts when driving, to stay off public roads entirely when they're 97, and how to deliver a proper response when involved in an accident.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 18

35 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Maybe "inside sources" need to spend less time bitching to gossipmongers about "difficult duchesses" getting up early and sending emails and instead focus their time on getting difficult royals to wear seatbelts when driving, to stay off public roads entirely when they're 97, and how to deliver a proper response when involved in an accident.  

Absolutely! And someone should tell the Duke of Edinburgh that the attitude of 'seat belt laws need not apply to him' is NOT cool but rather adolescent !   The accident  should have demonstrated, he may have thought that the' joke' was on others but HE is the one who got the 'punch line'! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Here is a report on the accident and the royal's reaction from Emma Fairweather who was in the car that Phillip hit. Her wrist was broken in the accident.

'https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/20/prince-philip-has-not-said-sorry-for-car-crash-injured-woman-claims

It's starting to look like their non-involvement re the Lockerbie victims' families. Come on! How tough can it be to send an 'I'm sorry' card (much less offer to compensate re lost wages,etc.)? And let's not forget that a baby was put at risk here!  

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4

He may not have been wearing a seatbelt when spotted driving afterwards, but IIRC one of the witnesses says the (Land or Range?) Rover rolled a couple of times.  If he wasn't belted in for that, then he was being banged around inside the vehicle like a marble rattling around in a closed tin box.  He would not have been able to stand or walk after being extracted from the car.

I take the AARP senior driving class every three years (my insurance company likes that).  As we age our physical abilities do deteriorate in addition to our cognitive losses.  And it happens slowly, so that like the frog in a pot of water who doesn't notice the heat is rising, we adapt to our "new normal" while maintaining our "old cock-sureness".  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GaT said:

I've always wondered if Diana would have survived the crash in Paris if she had a seat belt on.  

I think she would have. The only person who survived was wearing his.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

All of this to say, how fucking tone deaf is the Royal Family sometimes?

This never ceases to amaze me.  People sometimes say that Diana had the upper hand in her war with Charles because she was so much better at PR than him, but I think it just seemed that way because he/the Royal family are just so fucking bad at it.  I think it's because they've spent their entire lives inside a bubble and so they just cannot conceive of the way that some of their actions will be seen by people who actually interact with each other and the world in a normal way.  There's not a lot of emotional intelligence there.

• Like 13

This is where Diana was so good, being a source of comfort and sympathy.  When there was the mass school shooting in Dunblane in 1996, the Queen and Princess Anne attended a memorial service a few days after it happened.  This was at a time when Diana and Charles were working out their divorce, and there were those at the time who lamented that Diana was not available to do her special thing, especially since that involved so many traumatized children.  I remember at the time I could think of no one LESS comforting than the prickly Princess Anne. 

In recent years they've been pretty good at responding to events of national significance.  The Queen visited the injured in the hospital following the terrorist attack in Manchester within days of it happening (and Prince William visited two or three days after she did), and she and William were very quick to visit the Grenfell Tower fire victims. 

But jeez, send some flowers at least, with some type of stuffed animal for the baby.  If Philip hadn't reappeared in public - DRIVING! - so quickly, they probably could have claimed he was recovering, and then they could have sent Edward and Sophie, or Andrew, as a representative of their parents, to visit and offer best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

• Like 5

Isn’t the “no apology” thing pretty standard advice from lawyers?  As an apology appears to be an admission of guilt.

• Like 6

I understand PP’s desire to keep driving.  It’s not advisable, but it’s hard to give up that control.  Esp for someone like him, who has a domineering personality.  They want to believe that their reflexes are still good.  In the US, aft a certain age, you’re required to take the driving test every few years.  Don’t they have that in England?  QEII wouldn’t have to take it, but PP Princess Alice, the Kent’s all should.

This is where family needs to step in and have a talk w/ PP.  He’s not going to listen to Government or the press.

• Like 4

From USA TodayPolice Chastise Prince Philip for Driving Without Seatbelt Just Two Days After Crash

I think this answers at least some of the questions people have had above.

Though the Palace says Her Majesty & the Prince have contacted those in the other car, 1 woman—who broke her wrist in the accident—says she hasn’t heard from them. 

The Palace says Philip has a valid driver’s license. There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years & to tell authorities about any medical conditions that might raise safety issues.

Philip passed a vision test Saturday as part of the investigation into the accident.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From USA TodayPolice Chastise Prince Philip for Driving Without Seatbelt Just Two Days After Crash

I think this answers at least some of the questions people have had above.

Though the Palace says Her Majesty & the Prince have contacted those in the other car, 1 woman—who broke her wrist in the accident—says she hasn’t heard from them. 

The Palace says Philip has a valid driver’s license. There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years & to tell authorities about any medical conditions that might raise safety issues.

Philip passed a vision test Saturday as part of the investigation into the accident.

I don't know Phillip's trouble, but, often it's not the vision that's the problem.  It's reflexes, judgment and coordination.  If there's cognitive decline, having a serious talk won't work, because, he won't have the mental ability to comprehend the situation and use proper judgment.  If he's unfit to drive, then, they'll have to hide keys and use direct supervision over him to prevent him from doing it anyway.  I don't have much patience for it, because, it's so unnecessary.  He's risking other people's safety for his own ego.  To me, that screams incompetence. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know Phillip's trouble, but, often it's not the vision that's the problem.  It's reflexes, judgment and coordination.  If there's cognitive decline, having a serious talk won't work, because, he won't have the mental ability to comprehend the situation and use proper judgment.  If he's unfit to drive, then, they'll have to hide keys and use direct supervision over him to prevent him from doing it anyway.  I don't have much patience for it, because, it's so unnecessary.  He's risking other people's safety for his own ego.  To me, that screams incompetence. 

He's also the husband of the Queen, and, as such, has to have bodyguards accompany him everywhere he goes anyway.  There is no reason he has to take the wheel when there are officers trained in defensive driving right there every time he leaves the grounds at Windsor.

• Like 10

It is incredibly hard to stop a parent from driving. My mother and sister were constantly lecturing my father that due to his age (late 80's) he should stop driving. He had not had any accidents or citations. He would accuse both of them of treating him like a child get up and drive to his house. After he broke his hip and recovered enough to get around one day he called me and asked me to come see him after work. When I got there he told me he had driven himself to the bank two blocks away, gone in and then had to take a nap before he could drive home. He said I don't think I can drive anymore and asked if I would be available to take him places or shop for him. I almost cried in relief gave him my word I would and never regretted it for a second. 

On the flip side I have a doctor I've been seeing for 20 plus years he asked me in one of my appointments how I got my father to stop driving. He was trying to figure out what to do about his mother.

I'm not sure if they have changed the reporting rules in Arizona however 14 years ago you could not anonymously report people. You could call the police with a license plate number and description and the police would try to locate them. Or you could fill out a form with their drivers license number and they would receive a letter stating a complaint had been file they needed to come in for a vision and behind the wheel test. Neither option is optimal.

I'm not saying what is wrong or right just it is a incredibly hard situation to deal with. YMMV

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Meghan at lunch.

d1f5408be2b4af0276cecdc6ffcc6b12

Oh, noes!  She's wearing jeans!  With holes!  In public!  How many rules has she broken now!?!?!  [/sarcasm]

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, noes!  She's wearing jeans!  With holes!  In public!  How many rules has she broken now!?!?!  [/sarcasm]

And don’t forget they’re also rolled up at the ankles... horror of horrors! [/sarcasm] I think she looks fabulous. But is she trying to open her own car door again? It looks like she’s going for it, anyway.

• Like 11

I don't care about the jeans, but, pregnant women in high heels on rocky pavement.......

• Like 5

Henri d'Orleans, the Bourbon AND Orleanist claimant to the throne of France has died.  He has been replaced as pretender in those two lines by his son, Jean.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Henri d'Orleans, the Bourbon AND Orleanist claimant to the throne of France has died.  He has been replaced as pretender in those two lines by his son, Jean.

Interesting.   but pretty sure that ship has sailed far over the horizon.   I do find it interesting how people keep up tracing the line to the throne.   I just caught something today about the Jacobite Pretender to the English throne.   Give.It.Up.People.     Jean D'Orleans has a better claim -- no one is on the throne right now and it didn't go to a more acceptable (?) line.

• Like 2

If a D'Orleans guy hadn't thrown a hissy-fit about the Tricolor in the 1870s, France might have become a monarchy again for a while.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, doodlebug said:
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

He's also the husband of the Queen, and, as such, has to have bodyguards accompany him everywhere he goes anyway.  There is no reason he has to take the wheel when there are officers trained in defensive driving right there every time he leaves the grounds at Windsor.

This guy has not done anything by himself since he married Elizabeth in 1947. All of the royals are surrounded by staff all the time.   I really don't see how it could even be possible for him to be sneaking out of the house with the car keys, or doing anything at all without being observed and guarded for that matter.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, Steph J said:

This never ceases to amaze me.  People sometimes say that Diana had the upper hand in her war with Charles because she was so much better at PR than him, but I think it just seemed that way because he/the Royal family are just so fucking bad at it.

They are lucky that Meghan agreed to sign on for all of their.................stuff.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Good now he can tell us where they are.   Princess Estelle is very sad they are gone.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Camille said:

I have to give these idiots credits for their sheer audacity and creativity: 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/conspiracy-theorists-claim-meghan-markles-191125847.html

Oh good freaking grief!

As for her due date fluctuating, it’s not like it’s fluctuating over a period of 6 months, which WOULD be unbelievable. She’s said to be due in April or May, which probably means late April or early May & is entirely possible, as it’s probably only a spread of a couple of weeks, & it’s probably based on how regular/irregular her specific cycles are & when her last (known) 1 was before the pregnancy was confirmed (as with most other pregnant women, Royal or commoner).

As for telling Trevor, her first husband, she couldn’t get pregnant, there’s nothing remotely like that linked anywhere. What is linked is a story, according to The Sun (& at least a couple of other, mostly UK tabloid, sources), saying she actually made him sign a (non-legally binding/done without lawyers) contract stipulating that if she got pregnant during their marriage (which was when she was gaining fame from her role in Suits) he would pay for a personal trainer & nutritionist to help her get back into shape as well as a nanny.

• Like 1

Just wait until she leaves the hospital with that post-partum bump and they claim that she's still pregnant and that they stole someone's baby to pass off as theirs, like some other morons did after Kate had George.

• Like 5

What is it about doubting successful Black women's fecundity? I remember the same rancid surrogacy rumors surrounding Blue Ivy Carter and Olympia Ohanian. Is this some misogynoiristic resentment of a black woman having it all? Subconscious (or not) eugenics wish fantasy?

Edited by ursula
  • Like 8

42 minutes ago, ursula said:

What is it about doubting successful Black women's fecundity? I remember the same rancid surrogacy rumors surrounding Blue Ivy Carter and Olympia Williams. Is this some misogynoiristic resentment of a black woman having it all? Subconscious (or not) eugenics wish fantasy?

Small point: Olympia Williams’ last name is actually that of her father & Serena Williams’ husband, internet entrepreneur/Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian. Olympia is actually named Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr., for her father (except probably for the “Olympia” part), but presumably goes by “Olympia” (at least when her mother’s talking) to distinguish between her & her father.

Also, if you’re talking about Beyoncé’s eldest child, Blue Ivy, don’t forget about her twins, Rumi & Sir. I think there were still surrogacy rumors about them too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ursula said:

What is it about doubting successful Black women's fecundity? I remember the same rancid surrogacy rumors surrounding Blue Ivy Carter and Olympia Williams. Is this some misogynoiristic resentment of a black woman having it all? Subconscious (or not) eugenics wish fantasy?

Honestly in this case I don't think it's even about doubting black women's ability to be fertile and make babies per se and instead just a bunch of racist nutjobs who are determined to embrace any and all conspiracies that convince them this relationship isn't real. Because that's easier than accepting that yes, Harry really did marry a woman of color and yes, she is going to have his child and so yes, there will be a biracial baby in the Royal Family. 

My guess is these are the same nutters who back in 2016 were saying the relationship wasn't real. See the goal post keeps moving with them. First it was that the relationship wasn't real and this D-List actress got her people to put out a fake story to get her some press. Then came Harry's statement and at that point it was that the relationship would never last past six months. Then they said he'd dumped her and she was having her people put out stories pretending they were still together. Easy to believe that lie for awhile since Harry and Meghan were so private with their relationship, you barely ever saw them in public. 

When they were finally seen in public for his friend's wedding in Jamaica, it was then said she was stalking him and calling the paps to take pictures and he wanted her nowhere near him (yes, this happened). Then the engagement happened and that wasn't real and the wedding was totally not going to happen. Then it was she's 37 and her old eggs will never be able to produce a child, until she got knocked up barely six months into the marriage and so we're here. Where of course she's not really pregnant and the belly's fake and they hired a surrogate. Honestly, at this point it's just pathetically amusing. 

Almost as pathetically amusing as The Daily Mail using a lovely post by Meghan's friend/make up artist to accuse of her being responsible for war and famine. You know, someone once joked last year that if they could, British tabloids would find a way to blame Meghan for Brexit. At this point, I'm just waiting for it. 

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Almost as pathetically amusing as The Daily Mail using a lovely post by Meghan's friend/make up artist to accuse of her being responsible for war and famine. You know, someone once joked last year that if they could, British tabloids would find a way to blame Meghan for Brexit. At this point, I'm just waiting for it. 

What about plague and death? If you're going to invoke the Horsemen, go the full house.

• Like 8

Except I hear the surrogate thing about white women too.    See post above about how Kate wasn't really pregnant with George.    

Not every attack on Duchess Meghan is based in racism.   Some of it is just vile human beings who would be attacking ANYONE Prince Harry married.   The tabloids build people up then tear them down.   It's what they do.    The only color the tabs see is $$$$$$$$$.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, ursula said:

What is it about doubting successful Black women's fecundity? I remember the same rancid surrogacy rumors surrounding Blue Ivy Carter and Olympia Ohanian. Is this some misogynoiristic resentment of a black woman having it all? Subconscious (or not) eugenics wish fantasy?

I didn't realize that there was a conspiracy theory that Serena Williams used a surrogate and it blows my mind that people would actually think that.  People actually think that someone as competitive as Serena Williams would sit out the better part of an entire tennis season just to make complete strangers think that she gave birth to a baby?  What would she even get out of doing that (other than a diminished income from all the tournaments she didn't compete in)?

People are nuts.

• Like 16

I'm waiting for the article blaming Meghan for the Duke of Edinburgh's crash.  And yes, I'm sure she's responsible for the Brexit tumult.  Plus she brought down that plane carrying the soccer player.  And she's American, so this whole shutdown mess?   Totally her fault.  

If only she would use her powers for good . . . 

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I'm waiting for the article blaming Meghan for the Duke of Edinburgh's crash.  And yes, I'm sure she's responsible for the Brexit tumult.  Plus she brought down that plane carrying the soccer player.  And she's American, so this whole shutdown mess?   Totally her fault.  

If only she would use her powers for good . . . 

I hear she was on the grassy knoll. Sure, she claims she was born in 1981, but she's lying about her age too!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steph J said:

I didn't realize that there was a conspiracy theory that Serena Williams used a surrogate and it blows my mind that people would actually think that.  People actually think that someone as competitive as Serena Williams would sit out the better part of an entire tennis season just to make complete strangers think that she gave birth to a baby?  What would she even get out of doing that (other than a diminished income from all the tournaments she didn't compete in)?

People are nuts.

And then there’s the whole thing of Serena talking in multiple interviews about having to go through what sounds like multiple, apparently serious, surgeries for blood clots in her lungs after the delivery, which resulted in an extended hospital stay after the delivery. Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think she’d say that she went through all that if she really didn’t.

Not to mention, why would Serena sit out the last 3 major tennis tournaments the year Olympia was born when she’s trying to break the record for the most major women’s singles tennis championships won by the same woman (she’s currently second on the list, I think), as well as trying to win the women’s title at all 4 major tennis tournaments (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon & US Open) in the same calendar year & accomplish a Grand Slam by winning those titles in that way (NOTE: This year’s Australian Open is going on right now in Melbourne & Serena won’t get the Grand Slam this year, unfortunately; she was defeated in the Quarterfinals... I think)? It would be stupid of her to stop her pursuit of those goals just so she can say she’s on maternity leave when she’s not.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a comment.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Except I hear the surrogate thing about white women too.    See post above about how Kate wasn't really pregnant with George.    

First time I'm hearing about any suggestion of George's surrogacy... 

Not every attack on Duchess Meghan is based in racism.   Some of it is just vile human beings who would be attacking ANYONE Prince Harry married.   The tabloids build people up then tear them down.   It's what they do.    The only color the tabs see is $$$$$$$$$.

Tabloids built Meghan up?

NGL, this type of argument always struck me as weirdly... defensive... about racism? Like, what exactly is this arguing? That racism is not vile? That vile human beings cannot be racist? That tabloids are not racist because... being racist and pandering to racists for $$$ is... mutually exclusive?

Edited by ursula
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, ursula said:

First time I'm hearing about any suggestion of George's surrogacy... 

There were conspiracy theories about all three of her pregnancies. Some claimed she was too thin to conceive naturally or that she looked too good afterwards to have actually given birth. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/kate-middleton-not-pregnant-say-birth-truthers-what-beyonce-and-duchess-have-in-common-see-the-ridiculous-claims/amp/

• Like 2