Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

That's a rather intriguing thing to think about. I can't say for certain but perhaps she may have been introduced to it on one of her US tours. If so, it definitely doesn't sound as though it became a new fave. BTW, it IS known that FDR served her parents (George VI and the future Queen Mother) hot dogs when he entertained them in his Hyde Park Estate in 1939! 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Blergh said:

BTW, it IS known that FDR served her parents (George VI and the future Queen Mother) hot dogs when he entertained them in his Hyde Park Estate in 1939! 

And George liked them so much he asked for seconds.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, GaT said:

True that, but I don't think hot dogs have  become standard Windsor Castle cuisine so perhaps the future Queen Mother vetoed it from being added (and the current Queen never had enough interest in them to attempt to override it even after Accession). 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GaT said:

This can't actually be what this woman said, no one in their right mind would say that.

It’s in the video clip in the Tweet at/near the bottom of the linked article. Meghan’s being introduced to a few women in more like a semicircle than a straight line (I think). The third (black) woman says it to Meghan, & it’s definitely what she said. I heard it. At first I thought the gray-haired woman said it, because there was so much laughter after their exchange, then it turned out the third woman said it. Meghan replied, “I’ll take it!”, which I think she’s quoted as responding to the comment with in the linked article.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GaT said:

This can't actually be what this woman said, no one in their right mind would say that.

It's what she said. But looking at the video, I'm pretty sure I heard what sounded like a Jamaican accent and as someone with Caribbean relatives, I actually think she meant it as a compliment. They tend to see "thick" in women as a good thing. So I don't think she was trying to insult Meghan. I also think it's to Meghan's credit and the image/warmth she's given off that the woman probably knew that she'd  just laugh it off.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 10

It sounds to me like the woman clearly said it as a joke, "fat lady" meaning she was pregnant, and everyone laughed at it.  

• Like 3

I agree. The “fat lady” comment was meant with affection (or even teasingly/as a joke), if you will. Especially now that I understand saying something like that is a (positive) “thing” in the Caribbean culture & the speaker appeared to be from that part of the world originally.

I have the feeling perhaps some of Meghan’s entourage, & maybe the staff of the facility she was visiting (1 of her new patronages), were like “How dare she speak to HRH that way!”, unless at least the facility staff knew her well enough to know she did that kinda thing—& they had to know her pretty well (I should think) to choose her to represent the facility before a member of the Royal Family. So Meghan’s entourage may have only been dismayed over the comment. Anyway, I’m glad Meghan took the comment in the spirit in which it was intended—teasing her about her increasing belly size—not that I think she’d have been offended to start with. Pregnant women everywhere get similar comments. She knows it, & she’s in that condition, & so experiencing them firsthand until April or May (she told someone she’s about 6 months pregnant now).

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To fix a punctuation error.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, GaT said:

12 hours ago, Blergh said:

True that, but I don't think hot dogs have  become standard Windsor Castle cuisine so perhaps the future Queen Mother vetoed it from being added (and the current Queen never had enough interest in them to attempt to override it even after Accession). 

It does have me thinking of the scene from Gilmore Girls when Rory introduces her rich grandparents used to always eating fancy food to frozen pizza (they were snowed in, the cook couldn't make it and everything else was still frozen except the frozen pizza that probably belonged to the maid so Rory heats it up) Richard loves it so much he immediately tries to replace the horrible salmon with the frozen pizza but Emily isn't having that. Maybe he loved hot dogs but his wife was the one who vetoed that idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

She is beautiful but her skintone is radiant in that purple dress and red coat.

There are photos at multiple media sites showing how the same color combination was also a favorite of Meghan’s late mother-in-law, Diana.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

There are photos at multiple media sites showing how the same color combination was also a favorite of Meghan’s late mother-in-law, Diana.

Yes, but in the desperate bid to make every new royal bride "the next Diana", they completely missed or who are we kidding, ignored that the color combination was also a clear homage to the colors of the women's organization they visited that day. Which is far more likely as it's not the first time Meghan has been very strategic in what she wears in terms of a place they're visiting. It also looks like the red was a big color for the town because many people gathered in the crowds were wearing some variation. 

I have nothing against Diana. I thought it was very sad how her life ended and I thought she did some good things in her life. But I have never been on the deification train regarding her, as is my feelings about the Royal Family in general. So I'm very tired of their always trying to make every wife "the next Diana" and the constant comparisons the second they wear something in a similar vein to something she did. 

Far as I can tell, Meghan to this point, for better or worse has been being Meghan when it comes to her style. Why else have we had all the comments about her messy bun and "ugh, why is she always wearing black", *gasp* she's not wearing pantyhose, etc. Meghan is dressing like herself and her style. So I'm really not here for the media's "next Diana" attempts.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, but in the desperate bid to make every new royal bride "the next Diana", they completely missed or who are we kidding, ignored that the color combination was also a clear homage to the colors of the women's organization they visited that day. Which is far more likely as it's not thr first time Meghan has been very strategic in what she wears in terms of a place they're visiting. It also looks like the red was a big color for the town because many people gathered in the crowds were wearing some variation. 

I have nothing against Diana. I thought it was very sad how her life ended and I thought she did some good things in her life. But I have never been in the deification train regarding her, as is my feelings about the Royal Family in general. So I'm very tired of their always trying to make every wife "the next Diana" and the constant comparisons the second they wear something in a similar vein to something she did. 

Far as I can tell, Meghan to this point, for better or worse has been being Meghan when it comes to her style. Why else have we had all the comments about her messy bun and "ugh, why is she always wearing black", *gasp* she's not wearing pantyhose, etc. Meghan is dressing like herself and her style. So I'm really not here for the media's "next Diana" attempts.

It is ridiculous.  Diana was a public figure for almost two decades and made literally thousands of public appearances at which she wore literally thousands of outfits in every color of the rainbow.  Therefore, ANYTHING her daughters in law choose to wear is going to recall the color of some outfit or another of Diana's.  For that matter, there are tons of photos of Diana wearing the neutral colors that Meghan so often favors.  It means nothing, neither Meghan nor Kate has shown any inclination to be 'the next Diana' and the press needs to give it a rest.

That being said, Meghan looks gorgeous in rich colors, that purple sparkly gown compliments her complexion beautifully.  Prior to her engagement and marriage, she had a very colorful wardrobe and I hope she starts to add more color to her ensembles for her royal appearances.

• Like 21

I absolutely love that purple and red combination.   So much I may try it myself sometime.   No seriously.   It really stands out.   

They did the "homage" to Diane with the sequined dress too.   Apparently Diana wore a similar dress once.    I mean there are only so many colors and combinations and styles.   There is going to be overlap.   Although Duchess Meghan was wearing Diana's bracelet.   So some of this may be deliberate.   Not that she is trying to BE Diana.   But in a low key way honoring the mother-in-law she will never meet.   

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

They did the "homage" to Diane with the sequined dress too.   Apparently Diana wore a similar dress once.   

Yeah saw that one and you know what's funny, there's a picture of Meghan maybe five/six years ago wearing a short version of a similar blue sequined dress. Really, a two second Google search will pull it up. It was also by the same designer because she's been friends with Roland for years. But yes, I'm sure Diana was the inspiration for her choice of gown and not you know, her designer friend knowing what she likes and would work for her body right now, as she's pregnant. 

The reason I get so irritated by this is because it invites the inevitable comparisons and we all know how it'll end - "ugh, she'll never be as classy as Diana", "Diana was perfect", "ugh the fake actress wishes she could ever be as beautiful and amazing and perfect as Diana". Blah, blah... Just let people be themselves for crying out loud. Let Kate be the next Duchess Kate and Meghan the next Duchess Meghan and none of this homage, honoring, next Diana, etc. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Prior to her engagement and marriage, she had a very colorful wardrobe and I hope she starts to add more color to her ensembles for her royal appearances.

But was her actual wardrobe colorful or her photoshoots where clothing would have been picked for her colorful?  Because in all the interviews I've listened to prior to her engagement, Meghan stated her "personal" taste leaned toward neutral colors.   

Edited by MissAlmond

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, but in the desperate bid to make every new royal bride "the next Diana"

The British tabloids are like Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo, wanting to turn every married in royal bride into Diana because what does it matter to her?  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Good lord, dude's like superhuman at this point. What is he, like 1000 and he's surviving car accidents?

Phil took good care of himself.  Him and his body.  Siempre Viva!  Live forever! 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 3

It's unbelievable that Philip is not hospitalized.  A 97 year old man in a car that flips?  The report I saw said he was uninjured, but he must be very bruised and battered.  Plus he's had heart issues in the past, so I'm sure they are watching him closely.    

• Like 3

For most people, this would be the point in their life where they were no longer allowed to drive on public roads. But which medical professional yanks the driver's license of the Prince Consort? 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, selkie said:

For most people, this would be the point in their life where they were no longer allowed to drive on public roads. But which medical professional yanks the driver's license of the Prince Consort? 

I haven’t read the article yet. Did it actually say he was driving? Perhaps a chauffeur or a protection officer was, like with US government officials. Then there wouldn’t be the issue of having to pull the Prince Consort’s driver’s license.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a comment and change a punctuation mark.

According to the BBC, he was driving.  It occurred as he was pulling out of a driveway.  No word on who is at fault.  The people in the other vehicle suffered minor injuries.  

Apparently both he and the driver of the other vehicle passed their breathalyzer tests.  That had to be a bit awkward of a request for the PC at the site. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, selkie said:

Apparently both he and the driver of the other vehicle passed their breathalyzer tests.  That had to be a bit awkward of a request for the PC at the site. 

It was probably awkward, but I’m sure all concerned would’ve wanted everything done by the book—perhaps especially because he’s the Queen’s husband (even though the Royals are only figureheads in governing). They wouldn’t have wanted the appearance of cutting corners in the investigation or just letting him off without investigating because of who he is.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add a parenthesis.
  • Like 3

Prince Philip was pulling out to cross the busy highway when he was t-boned by the other vehicle.    I'm thinking he should have waited a few more seconds for the roadway to clear before trying to cross both lanes.

Only the Queen has enough standing to tell him to stop driving.    Whether she will or not is another matter.    How he walked away from a FLIPPED land rover I have no idea.   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, selkie said:

I’m sorry but this! He’s 97-why is he out driving on public roads?? This is just ridiculous. Drive on your property if you want to drive, but not on a public roadway.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I’m sorry but this! He’s 97-why is he out driving on public roads?? This is just ridiculous. Drive on your property if you want to drive, but not on a public roadway.

IIRC, the queen owns all public roads

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, connieinnc said:

IIRC, the queen owns all public roads

This is not true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Have you ever tried to stop an elderly father from driving?  Whether they're married to the Queen of England or are just some Joe Schmo, it's commonly recognized to be really hard if not impossible.  And, yes, I do speak from personal experience.

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 9

The details of this crash are horrifying.  His vehicle was t-boned on the driver's side by the other car.  The people in the other car suffered "minor" injuries.  What if there had a bunch of kids in that car? That's how the Queen and his children stop him, by bluntly tells him it's fine to kill himself, but what if he kills a child?  

As I said above, I can't believe he's not hospitalized.  The possibility that he has internal injuries, the stress this puts on his heart - wow.  And given how easily the elderly bruise, I can't image what his torso looks like from the seat belt, or his arms from possibly being flung around and also from when he was pulled from the car.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

How he walked away from a FLIPPED land rover I have no idea.   

A car flipped right in front of my office just last week - perfectly straight road, not even going fast. How he did it I've no idea. It looked absolutely horrific when we all ran out to see this car lying on its roof in the road. But the driver walked away without a scratch - airbag deployed and he was completely fine. In shock - our first aiders tended him until the ambulance arrived, and had to keep stopping him trying to turn the car back over because that was all he could think about (he'd borrowed it from a mate!) - but he wasn't injured at all. So having witnessed that firsthand, it doesn't surprise me to hear that Prince Philip was similarly uninjured from a very similar accident. It does happen!

Today's news reports say Philip was dazzled by the sun. That can happen at any age - my cousin was killed while out cycling by a perfectly young and fit driver who just happened to be dazzled by the sun and simply didn't see him. And I know several people who are still driving at over 90, with no issues at all. The road Philip was pulling onto has been described by locals as a rat run - the local council have immediately declared that the speed limit is to be lowered following this accident. So the other car was likely moving pretty fast. A perfect storm of contributing factors coming together to cause a nasty accident.

But yeah, I'm not sure Philip will or should be driving himself about after this. He might be physically uninjured, but he must have been very badly shaken up, at the least.

What if there had a bunch of kids in that car?

There was a baby in the car, apparently. It was well secured and was not injured.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, andromeda331 said:

If only his mother hadn't been so intent in keeping him from doing anything. It amazes me she never connected keep her son away from nearly everything meant he had nothing to do so what else is going to do except play. 

You know this is not 100% true.  She DID start sharing State paperwork the last 10 or so yrs of her life.  She didn’t give him any duties, yes, but it wasn’t like he was completely unprepared.  That myth got bigger & bigger as decades passed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

There was a baby in the car, apparently. It was well secured and was not injured.

Thank goodness.   A woman passenger in the car had a broken arm.    

There was no royal protection officer with Prince Philip.    What if this had been a set up, rather than just an accident with thankfully no major injuries?   Honestly Philip needs to accept he is 97 and cannot do everything he could do at 20.   He's not Action Man anymore.   

• Like 2

I made my movie comment in jest when I thought Philip was driving on the estate, hit a tree or something, and walked away.  But I take that all back now that I've learned he was driving on public roads and hit another driver!  The time is long past for this man to stop driving.  A new hip doesn't mean Philip can still do the things he used to do.  IIRC, even after the hip replacement, the man had a serious fall the day of or before Harry's wedding.  It makes me wonder how many times he's been driving on public roads and the tabloids either kept it quiet or, as usual, were too busy writing gossip.  Philip needs to find a stationary hobby where he can't cause injury to others or himself.  

Unfortunately, I know from friends and family that, sadly, it usually does take an accident for elderly relatives to finally relinquish the keys.  I hope everyone in the other car are ok.  Not only from their injuries, but from the tabloids who surely are already digging into their private lives for stories to splash across their papers/online. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I made my movie comment in jest when I thought Philip was driving on the estate, hit a tree or something, and walked away.  But I take that all back now that I've learned he was driving on public roads and hit another driver! 

It was the other car that hit him. He pulled out of a side road as another vehicle was moving toward him at speed - either didn't see them at all (he apparently mentioned being dazzled by the sun), or thought he had more time to make the turn than he did. Evidently the local council was already due to discuss safety issues on that stretch of road even before this crash took place.

Eye witnesses have talked about his entourage being right there on the spot, so he definitely had royal protection people with him, whether actually in his car or not.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 5

It was the other car that hit him. He pulled out of a side road as another vehicle was moving toward him at speed - either didn't see them at all (he apparently mentioned being dazzled by the sun), or thought he had more time to make the turn than he did.

They may have hit him, but a person coming from a side road should wait and make sure the main road is clear before pulling out.  Therefore, IMO, the accident was Philip's fault, not the other driver's.  

Eye witnesses have talked about his entourage being right there on the spot, so he definitely had royal protection people with him, whether actually in his car or not.

The reports I'm currently hearing is Philip was alone and no RPO's were with him.  http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/dukeofedinburgh/prince-philip-was-travelling-alone-with-no-protection-officer-when-he-crashed-114405

Edited by MissAlmond · Reason: added link
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

They may have hit him, but a person coming from a side road should wait and make sure the main road is clear before pulling out.  Therefore, IMO, the accident was Philip's fault, not the other driver's.  

I obviously have no idea of the circumstances of the accident, but I can tell you that driving on country roads in the UK is not as bucolic as it seems, regardless of the car you're driving.  Country lanes, turning right onto another country lane with blind hills and corners.  Remember Matthew from Downton?

• Like 5

So since this accident - the Queen, at 92, was seen driving near where the incident took place, without a seat belt. A new Range Rover, presumably for Philip was seen being delivered and today (or yesterday, the time difference is throwing me off) Philip was seen driving again and without a seat belt.

Yeah, the press is starting to go in, especially after the dragging some of them got on social media for completely ignoring the three other individuals, including a baby, who may have been hurt in this incident, to only declare that Philip was fine. All of this to say, how fucking tone deaf is the Royal Family sometimes? This is not a good look. The man is 97, he should not be driving, period. 

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

So since this accident - the Queen, at 92, was seen driving near where the incident took place, without a seat belt. A new Range Rover, presumably for Philip was seen being delivered and today (or yesterday, the time difference is throwing me off) Philip was seen driving again and without a seat belt.

Yeah, the press is starting to go in, especially after the dragging some of them got on social media for completely ignoring the three other individuals, including a baby, who may have been hurt in this incident, to only declare that Philip was fine. All of this to say, how fucking tone deaf is the Royal Family sometimes? This is not a good look. The man is 97, he should not be driving, period. 

WHAT?!  It's not as though they don't have DOZENS of folks in each of their residences  on their payroll who could drive them anywhere they want at a moment's notice! While I admire the Duke and Queen's determinations to stay as independent as possible even well into their 10th decades, THAT accident that  should have been the END of the Duke of Edinburgh's driving anything but a tricycle in his great-grandkids' nursery porch and ,Queen or not, she should not have driven  an inch without a seat belt. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Whoop dee do! 'Well, wishes'- instead of ' I shouldn't have been driving at my age and with all my conditions and I'm sorry that this happened so Her Majesty and I will foot any and all expenses re your recouperations'! 

BAH! 

I can't imagine it was fun for ANYone involved having to give the Duke of Edinburgh the breathilizer test! 

P.S. And I say this as someone who has found him intriguing (if not always likable or 'right') for his resilience and independence down the decades in spite of incredible odds- both before and after his marriage to the current Queen!

• Like 7

I know the Queen does not have to have a license, but don't all the other members of the Royal Family have to?  Couldn't the authorities after an investigation say that Philip can no longer drive? Also, does the UK have a seat belt law?  And are drivers there required to carry insurance? 

I'm sure the palace's lawyers are quietly contacting the other people involved and asking how big the check should be.  They're probably trying to arrange some sort of deal to avoid them selling their story, so there are no "Duke Almost Killed My Baby!" type of stories.  

I cannot believe they don't wear seat belts.  I've always wondered if Diana would have survived the crash in Paris if she had a seat belt on.  

• Like 3