Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

@GHScorpiosRule  Thank you for beginning this thread! 

I'm looking forward to seeing the wedding. Not because I have a huge interest in either Megan or Harry, but because I like to see all the pomp and pageantry that comes along with it. I'm wondering who her bridesmaids will be. What stars will be in attendance. The silly hats. My biggest pet peeve is that we never get to see anything having to do with the reception. 

Going back to the guest list...will her sister, the one who negatively spoke publicly, be in attendance? Will she try to steal some of the limelight or sell stories about what happened behind closed doors? 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Going back to the guest list...will her sister, the one who negatively spoke publicly, be in attendance? Will she try to steal some of the limelight or sell stories about what happened behind closed doors? 

God, if I was Megan I wouldn't even invite her. They don't seem close and frankly based on the limited information I see about the sister while reading things.. she sucks. Megan's siblings and ex are so gross talking to the press and trying to cash in on the fact that they knew her when. 

• Like 7

It's bad enough for Megan to deal with all of the pressure of learning how to be a Royal without her past and those loudmouths talking about her. As I don't think that this will be a small quiet wedding, she might get pressured by family members to invite her sister. I wouldn't let her within a mile of the family she is marrying into. 

• Like 7

I like the princes a whole bunch, I think Diana raised them well. William's children are the cutest kids I've ever seen and I'm not much of a kid person. Harry does a lot of charity work, especially with African wildlife (I believe Will does too, actually). I will be watching, Royal weddings for me are like Superbowl, since I have no interest in the actual Superbowl.

• Like 9

Totally agree with you Mindthinkr. It obviously won't be big like William and Kate but Harry isn't a minor royal so there will be fanfare. However, the sister is on her father's side and I'm not sure she's super close with him either? Would anyone from that side of the family even be invited?

Edited by mishy
  • Like 3

Well, if William opted not to invite the Duchess of York after she was caught trying to sell time to her ex-husband, I don't think anyone on that side of the family will get upset if Ms. Markel opts not to invite her half-sib who's been caught trying to sell her out. Now how Ms. Markel's own family reacts and whether Ms. Markel will resist their pleas may be another story.  Oh, and since William DID invite his cousins by the Duchess of York, there's a precedent for Ms. Markel to invite innocent family members who are closest relations of those the bridal couple has reason to distrust rather than follow that annoying etiquette of having to invite the toxics just to make things 'even'.

Edited by Blergh · Reason: spot marked the ex
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the wedding. Not because I have a huge interest in either Megan or Harry, but because I like to see all the pomp and pageantry that comes along with it. I'm wondering who her bridesmaids will be.

I wonder if she'll have American type bridesmaids (grownups) or British type bridesmaids (little girls).

• Like 4

I had no interest in William and Kate’s wedding, but I do want to watch Harry and Meghan get married.  Mostly because Meghan is American and second I think it won’t be as stuffy.  Curious what celebs will be invited and if the Obamas will be invited/attend.

• Like 3

I hope this doesn't become Hollywoodified.   I don't want celebrities walking the red carpet before the ceremony.    Yes, I want stuffy and protocol ridden and wondering who that ancient guy with all the medals is.    And please, please please let Meaghan choose a refined dress.   NOT the sketches I have been seeing.

• Like 5

No offense to Ms. Markle but Harry probably knows more Hollywood people than she does, I am sure the event won't be overwhelmed by the cast of Suits.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, mishy said:

Totally agree with you Mindthinkr. It obviously won't be big like William and Kate but Harry isn't a minor royal so there will be fanfare. However, the sister is on her father's side and I'm not sure she's super close with him either? Would anyone from that side of the family even be invited?

Considering that Meghan's sister seems downright hostile to her and, knowing that the Queen and other major royals as well as perhaps some prominent British and other politicians (it's rumored the Obamas will be invited) will be in attendance; I would imagine the British security team is going to put the brakes on any invitation for her or any other family member who may be perceived to be a security risk.  Based on the interviews she's given, the sister doesn't seem to be all that stable.

It also gives Meghan the perfect excuse not to invite the loose cannons; security clearance for the festivities is out of her hands.  If the Obamas attend, I am sure US Secret Service will have a prominent role in vetting the guests and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they didn't feel that the sister was liable to be a distraction if nothing else, which could give an opportunity for those with evil intent to do something dastardly, so she would be crossed off the guest list.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 6

I think she will go with the British tradition of young children as bridesmaids & page boys.  Hasn't it been said that George and Charlotte will be in the wedding?  As the "older" attendants, perhaps they will have Louise or James, the children of Prince Edward.  On Harry's side, there are other small children in the family, the 3 granddaughters of Princess Anne.

I love royal weddings - the hideous hats, the mad speculation about whether the bride will wear her hair up or down, a tiara or not, what will the dress look like, the music, the carriages, and so on. 

I wonder if they are cutting it a bit close with Catherine's pregnancy.  Last time her pregnancy was announced in the first week of September, due in April, and Charlotte arrived May 2.  Once again, it was announced the first week of September, due in April.  She seems to go late with her pregnancies.  Wasn't George more than a week late?   Yes, she's just the groom's sister-in-law, but if George and Charlotte are in the wedding, she will want to be involved to make sure they do what they are supposed to do.  That can't be much fun just weeks after delivering, probably while nursing a newborn.  But I'm sure the nanny will be there to help wrangle the kids, and Carole Middleton will be caring for the baby.  

I would love it if the Obamas are invited and Trump is forced to live tweet it.  I think there will be a few more celebrities than at William & Catherine's wedding, and probably fewer of the European royals.  Maybe more of the younger generation of royals for this wedding.  Anyone know how many people this chapel at Windsor will hold?  

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I love royal weddings - the hideous hats, the mad speculation about whether the bride will wear her hair up or down, a tiara or not, what will the dress look like, the music, the carriages, and so on. 

Between the English ladies' hats and the African-American church lady hats, the weekend should be truly epic on the hats front.

Edited by selkie
  • Like 24

13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It's bad enough for Megan to deal with all of the pressure of learning how to be a Royal without her past and those loudmouths talking about her. As I don't think that this will be a small quiet wedding, she might get pressured by family members to invite her sister. I wouldn't let her within a mile of the family she is marrying into. 

Meghan has some horrible people grasping at her newfound fame. Not just her sister, but her ex-husband too, who is writing a TV show about a guy sharing custody of his kids with a royal. Just ugh. At least she seems to ignore it all, but who knows? 

It's going to be a small wedding, though -- well, not small by our standards, but smaller than William and Kate's which had about 2,000 guests. One reason the Trumps won't be invited is because they won't be able to accommodate security; that's why the Obamas weren't at Will and Kate's wedding. And, well. Harry probably hates Trump. He gets on well with both Barack and Michelle (who will probably be invited, so yay for the prospect of seeing them together in wedding guest wear).

One reason I like Harry and Meghan, and William and Kate, is that they are couples who are so obviously in love. Charles and Camilla too. The royals really learned to loosen up after the disaster that was Charles/Diana and Diana's death. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Blergh said:

since William DID invite his cousins by the Duchess of York.

I doubt that William had a choice about whether or not to invite them. I'm not suggesting that he wouldn't have wanted them there, but the fact that they're the Queen's grandchildren surely means that their invitation to a wedding in the royal family is automatic regardless of whatever scandal their mother is currently embroiled in.

I personally can't wait to see whether Meghan Markle's potentially not invited family members actually do try to gate crash. On the one hand, seems like the level of security won't be in favor of their success. On the other hand, at William's 21st birthday party a man did manage not only to crash (dressed as Osama bin Laden to boot), but to get up on stage, grab a microphone out of William's hand, and talk for about a minute before anyone realized anything was wrong and took him into custody. There's a passage about the incident in Christopher Andersen's book "After Diana" that's stuck with me both because it describes the Queen as assuming that the man in the getup was Harry doing "a bit" (because of course Harry would be known in his family for doing "bits"), and because Charles' reaction to the incident focused on the fact that the only member of the royal family who wasn't in attendance was Edward (he was out of the country) and that if the man had been a terrorist and had succeeded in killing the senior royals then "Edward would have been King. Edward!" (I like to imagine Charles exclaiming this in the shrillest of voices)

• Like 3

Here's some news that shows an extra boost of confidence in the engaged prince from his grandparents:

On Tuesday, December 19,2017- Prince Harry of Wales was chosen to be Captain General of the Royal Marines- a position Prince Phillip himself held from June 2,1953 (the very day of Her Majesty's Coronation) to August but he came out of retirement to join his grandson at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in which the Queen made it official for her grandson to have the honor. Not only did Prince Harry serve in Afghanistan until the media blew the whistle but since then he's been very active in helping veterans adjust to civilian life (e.g. spearheading the Invictus Games).  I don't know exactly what duties this position entails but it says something that not only did Prince Phillip keep this post for 64 years but, out of all his family, he and the Queen felt that Prince Harry was best for the task (and it seems that Prince Harry has had a much friendlier bond with the Duke of Edinburgh than his own father has had at least in the past).

While I think that Charles could potentially appoint someone else or even himself (as before his mother's reign, it had been the king's own position but evidently the Queen decided that the Marines needed a man to ceremonial lead them ) but I'm not sure he will be keen to undo this upon his accession.

Here's some more details:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-harry-given-prince-philips-old-job-as-captain-general-of-the-royal-marines/news-story/9303ae61f5a94407ee58f3fcf3ab6375

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Here's some news that shows an extra boost of confidence in the engaged prince from his grandparents:

On Tuesday, December 19,2017- Prince Harry of Wales was chosen to be Captain General of the Royal Marines- a position Prince Phillip himself held from June 2,1953 (the very day of Her Majesty's Coronation) to August but he came out of retirement to join his grandson at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in which the Queen made it official for her grandson to have the honor. Not only did Prince Harry serve in Afghanistan until the media blew the whistle but since then he's been very active in helping veterans adjust to civilian life (e.g. spearheading the Invictus Games).  I don't know exactly what duties this position entails but it says something that not only did Prince Phillip keep this post for 64 years but, out of all his family, he and the Queen felt that Prince Harry was best for the task (and it seems that Prince Harry has had a much friendlier bond with the Duke of Edinburgh than his own father has had at least in the past).

While I think that Charles could potentially appoint someone else or even himself (as before his mother's reign, it had been the king's own position but evidently the Queen decided that the Marines needed a man to ceremonial lead them ) but I'm not sure he will be keen to undo this upon his accession.

Here's some more details:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-harry-given-prince-philips-old-job-as-captain-general-of-the-royal-marines/news-story/9303ae61f5a94407ee58f3fcf3ab6375

Lainey Gossip has a story on this & it makes sense.  Before William got married, the Queen appointed him Colonel, Irish Guards, so he was able to wear that uniform when he got married. Harry didn't have a uniform, but now that he's Captain General Royal Marines, he can wear whatever uniform comes with that to get married in.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No offense to Ms. Markle but Harry probably knows more Hollywood people than she does, I am sure the event won't be overwhelmed by the cast of Suits.

I heard yesterday (Tuesday) that actress Priyanka Chopra might be a potential bridesmaid. She's supposed to be a close friend of Meghan's & posted something, I think congratulating them, after the engagement was announced.

I know that, since it involves a member of the royal family there's gotta be a certain amount of pomp & protocol, & all that, to the wedding. But, since Harry's chances of actually taking the throne decrease with every niece or nephew he gets through his brother William's marriage, as well as with the fact that his grandmother is still the Sovereign, & neither his father nor brother have taken their own places on the throne yet (which, I think, would serve to move Harry back up the line of succession, at least a little since George, Charlotte, & their expected sibling, & any future siblings are also still in his path to be King), I would hope the ceremony might have some elements from an American-style wedding, given Meghan's country of birth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, selkie said:

Between the English ladies' hats and the African-American church lady hats, the weekend should be truly epic on the hats front.

Can. Not. WAIT!  Hopefully the Obamas are invited, because I want to see the hat Michelle would wear.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, Calvada said:

I think she will go with the British tradition of young children as bridesmaids & page boys.  Hasn't it been said that George and Charlotte will be in the wedding?  As the "older" attendants, perhaps they will have Louise or James, the children of Prince Edward.  On Harry's side, there are other small children in the family, the 3 granddaughters of Princess Anne.

I wonder if they are cutting it a bit close with Catherine's pregnancy.  Last time her pregnancy was announced in the first week of September, due in April, and Charlotte arrived May 2.  Once again, it was announced the first week of September, due in April.  She seems to go late with her pregnancies.  Wasn't George more than a week late?   Yes, she's just the groom's sister-in-law, but if George and Charlotte are in the wedding, she will want to be involved to make sure they do what they are supposed to do.  That can't be much fun just weeks after delivering, probably while nursing a newborn.  But I'm sure the nanny will be there to help wrangle the kids, and Carole Middleton will be caring for the baby.  

I would love it if the Obamas are invited and Trump is forced to live tweet it.  I think there will be a few more celebrities than at William & Catherine's wedding, and probably fewer of the European royals.  Maybe more of the younger generation of royals for this wedding.  Anyone know how many people this chapel at Windsor will hold?  

The chapel at Windsor holds up to 800 guests, quite a few less than the 2000 that the Abbey holds, but not small by any means.

I think Meghan will go full-on royal and Brit with her wedding party and use young children rather than adults.  If nothing else, it will prevent her half sister from mouthing off about not being included as well as deflect tabloid headlines blaring that she snubbed lifelong friends when picking bridesmaids.

Since the wedding is announced for May 19, I suspect Catherine is due in early April since that would give her ample time to recover a bit from the delivery, even if she goes late.  It's also fairly easy to induce labor in a third time mom, so she may give Mother Nature a hand.  I am sure her due date came into consideration when the date was chosen.

since William DID invite his cousins by the Duchess of York

Everything I've read indicates that both William and Harry are fairly close to their cousins Beatrice and Eugenie and spent quite a bit of time with them as kids and continue to keep in contact with them as adults.  Even if Sarah Ferguson is no longer part of the family, from what I've heard, all of the cousins are close; at least the children of Anne, Charles and Andrew.  Edward's kids are so much younger, I would imagine they are not as close as the core group of cousins who are reasonably close in age.

• Like 5

Aren't Meghan and Eugenie friends?  And yes, I think that group of 6 cousins is pretty close.  I can't imagine any circumstance in which the York girls would not be invited. 

8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Since the wedding is announced for May 19, I suspect Catherine is due in early April since that would give her ample time to recover a bit from the delivery, even if she goes late.  It's also fairly easy to induce labor in a third time mom, so she may give Mother Nature a hand.  I am sure her due date came into consideration when the date was chosen.

I hope for Catherine's sake that you are right.  Just imagine what the papers in Britain will say if she isn't looking slim and trim, isn't perfectly groomed, not a hair out of place.  Just at a time she probably would prefer to be schlepping around in sweat pants or pajama pants.  Of course she has access to all the best fashion houses who are very practiced at disguising the lumps and bumps we peasants are forced to endure!  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Just imagine what the papers in Britain will say if she isn't looking slim and trim, isn't perfectly groomed, not a hair out of place.  Just at a time she probably would prefer to be schlepping around in sweat pants or pajama pants.  Of course she has access to all the best fashion houses who are very practiced at disguising the lumps and bumps we peasants are forced to endure!  

Given Kate looked pretty slim and perfectly groomed leaving the hospital after both her births, I don't imagine that would  be an issue even if she is due in late April

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Do Beatrice and Eugenie have gentleman friends? Will Eugenie bring her "secret fiance"?

Beatrice broke up with her longtime boyfriend last year, I think. Rumor had it that Harry and William didn't like him much anyway.  Eugenie has been in a relationship for several years and there have been rumors of an impending engagement for just as long.  The royals usually do not appear at royal weddings and such with their significant others until an engagement is announced.  Even Harry and Meghan, while dating, attended friends' weddings but were careful not to be photographed together at the ceremony.  I suspect Beatrice and Eugenie would be more than welcome to bring a guest to the wedding, but he wouldn't be seated with her at the ceremony and wouldn't be seen at any of the public events with her.  The receptions for these things are off limits to the press and what happens there is anyone's guess. Probably same as what happens between boyfriend/girlfriend at anybody's wedding reception.

Love the black & white one.  His coat is wrapped around her.  Heart eyes.

Fun trivia fact.  Their  photographer (Mrowwr!! dude is hot) is also a Serene Highness himself.  He is related to the Polish royal family and his official title is His Serene Highness Prince Alexi Lubomirski.  He grew up in Botswana (nice connection there) and was a long time assistant of Mario Testino who did William and Catherine's engagement photos.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I had to post this story from Lainey Gossip, I just can't believe it. Read the article, look at the pictures, it makes you wonder if someone higher ranking (like the Queen) is going to say something to her.

Sadly, I can believe it. I can't imagine Harry staying silent on the matter, and I do hope the Queen addresses it. I can just imagine some of the backhanded shit she is going to get from some of the more stuffier members of the Royal family.

• Like 3

Is there anything to disbelieve? Harper's Bazaar and other outlets confirm when the pictures were taken.

Her father was a Nazi.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

To clarify, when I said "I just can't believe it", I didn't mean I didn't believe it happened, I meant I found it unbelievable that someone would do that. Sorry I wasn't clear.

• Like 3

Well, if it's any consolation, Princess Michael's husband is 45th in line for the throne and it seems Prince Charles is keen on paring down the royals' visibility to just his own nuclear family so I doubt Ms. Markle will cross paths with her that much. I mean how many spouse's 1st cousins-twice removed by marriage  does anyone hang with? Yep, what she did was downright tacky and  appalling (and I hope Her Majesty and the other royals minced no words dressing her down for that tasteless pin).

• Like 3

She shows up at any Rotal gathering she is invited to so unless they ostracize her Meghan will probably see her more tham most of us see distant cousins.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2017 at 9:00 AM, Mindthinkr said:

@GHScorpiosRule  Thank you for beginning this thread! 

I'm looking forward to seeing the wedding. Not because I have a huge interest in either Megan or Harry, but because I like to see all the pomp and pageantry that comes along with it. I'm wondering who her bridesmaids will be. What stars will be in attendance. The silly hats. My biggest pet peeve is that we never get to see anything having to do with the reception. 

Here, I think, are possibly some of the answers to the whole "How much will the Markle family actually be involved in the wedding?" question. ET Online, the website for Entertainment Tonight, posted a whole article about it.

They say, among other things, Meghan does want her father to walk her down the aisle, to uphold tradition, & all that; Meghan's mother will also have a significant, as yet undefined, role that day. Half-Sister Samantha, whom Meghan isn't especially close to, WILL NOT be getting an invitation (they say, among other things, "she's too much of a wild card"). Meghan can invite whomever she wants, the article says, & most of her family & friends are expected to be on the guest list.

• Like 2

Oh yes, Princess Michael of Kent aka Princess Pushy.    She did that on purpose.   The Queen can talk to her all she wants, but Princess Pushy will not listen.    Oh for the good old days when someone could be banished from court.    Well, yes, you can still do that.   Just don't invite her if she can't behave.   Don't allow her to carry out any more royal duties.   cut off her HRH.   Once she loses the perks she will straighten up.   The Queen might not do it, she hates conflict.   But Charles will in a red hot minute.   

• Like 3

Isn't she somewhat loathed by the rest of the royal family?  One of those relatives we all have, despised by everyone except for the person who felt compelled to marry them!  I think Charles does intend to pare down the family a bit when he takes the crown.  (Of course, this will be years from now, right?  The Queen looks younger than Charles!)  Charles has pushed for that already- wanted it to be his children and their children in the limelight.  I think Andrew is tied up in knots over this.  Does the Queen finance all these people - the Kents, the Gloucesters, and her four children and her adult grandchildren?  I'm with Charles - the gravy trains stops now, get a freaking job.  I think Anne has always done tons of work, and I think she is very well-respected by the royal establishment for her work ethic and dedication to her charities.  I think Princess Alexandra, sister of the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael, is also known as someone who worked hard in the family business, like Anne.  I think the Duke of Kent was in the military, right?  But what do the rest of them do? 

On another topic, what do you think William and Catherine will name their baby if it's a boy?  It seems there are only a few boys' names in rotation for the royal family and they are all in use - Edward, James, William, Henry, David, Richard, George.  But it's a 3rd kid - maybe something not commonly used in the RF but still conservative like Christopher or Robert?   Boy or girl, I'd like to see them go with something a little different.  I'm not talking Princess Apple or Prince Elvis, but something that's not on the board at the local bookmakers with people betting on the name.

1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Isn't she somewhat loathed by the rest of the royal family?  One of those relatives we all have, despised by everyone except for the person who felt compelled to marry them!

She is known for being a racist snob who has said nasty things about members of the royal family & who insists on being called "The Princess Michael". Other people so far down the chain (her husband is 45th in line for the crown) don't insist everyone call them by their official title, but she does. Interestingly, her Wikipedia page already includes the brooch wearing incident.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 2

Supposedly she is said to be "devastated" by the criticism, and shocked!  Shocked, I say, to discover the piece of jewelry is considered to be racist.  

33 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Kate's father's name is Michael, it would be cool if they named the baby after him.

I think Michael is a possibility as a middle name, but I wonder if they would use it as a first name given the aforementioned Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.  I wonder what Catherine's grandparents were named . . . Google tells me her mother's parents were Dorothy and Ronald, and her father's parents were Peter and Valerie.  I could see Peter being used as a middle name, both for Catherine's grandfather and William has always been close to his cousin Peter.  Perhaps a girl might be named Caroline, close to her mother's Carole.  Maybe Frances, which was DIana's middle name.  Francis, the male version, is Michael Middleton's middle name.  

52 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Kate's father's name is Michael, it would be cool if they named the baby after him.

9 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I think Michael is a possibility as a middle name, but I wonder if they would use it as a first name given the aforementioned Prince and Princess Michael of Kent. 

I think the name Michael is now a problem because of the princess. Even though he could be named after Kate's father, nobody is going to forget Princess Michael & her racist brooch, & I can't see them doing that to Harry. I think she's pretty much contaminated the name Michael.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Wasn't that the Duchess of Kent?

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think you're right.  I guess I had "Kent" on my mind.

24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Isn't Princess Michael of Kent the one who always presents the trophy to the women's winner at Wimbeldon?

As noted above, it's Katharine, Duchess of Kent whose husband, Edward, Duke of Kent is president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club who participates in awards ceremonies at Wimbledon.  She and her husband are quietly dignified and make a number of appearances on behalf of the Crown each year.  He is Prince Michael's brother and became Duke at around age 8 when his father died in a plane crash during the war.

Princess Michael loves the limelight and is constantly managing to get stories in the tabs about how down-to-earth she is cooking her own meals, flying economy and other stuff; but that doesn't really counteract her well known snobbery.  She and her hubby lived in an apartment at Kensington Palace rent-free for a number of years and she went ballistic when, as the British economy declined and the public grew tired of supporting minor royals who did almost nothing for the Crown; they were told they would have to pay rent for their place ( in a freaking palace in central London no less).

She's now in her early 70's, maybe after all the adverse publicity this time, she can gracefully retire from public life.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

She's now in her early 70's, maybe after all the adverse publicity this time, she can gracefully retire from public life.

No such luck.   A couple years ago she was photographed holding hands with her boyfriend.   You notice she has not given up her title in order to be with him.   She LOVES being a royal.    She will never go gracefully or quietly.

• Like 2