Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E27: Live Finale, Part 2

• Start Topic

That drag number was friggin' awesome! If I wasn't so comfy on my couch I would have stood up and applauded too.

I was laughing at Miley and Jennifer's reactions.

Ha!...was Brooke trying to get Sia out of her box?

I thought Chloe would sound more rock n' rolly with Billy Idol. He still can do that great growling singing.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 6

I'm probably not going to watch the show tonight since I don't give a flying fudge about any of the final 4, but I found out through social media that Noah & Bastille performed together which makes me so happy! I've been playing that song of theirs on repeat since it was released and the fact that Noah got to sing it with them? EVEN BETTER. I've already watched tonight's performance too many times on youtube.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Blake wins his 6th season lol. Basically the same order from the Semifinals held for the finals, I'm guessing.

The top 3 all picked Miley after the blinds. She's got to be kicking herself a little. I'm always surprised more artists don't pick Team Blake when they have the chance. 

• Love 4

Wow, I really thought Carson was going to say Addison. Blake does it again, amazing, Too bad for Miley, she had her and let her go. Does anyone remember if Miley chose her over someone who didn't go far. It wasn't against Brooke was it?

8 hours ago, Valny said:

Wow, I really thought Carson was going to say Addison. Blake does it again, amazing, Too bad for Miley, she had her and let her go. Does anyone remember if Miley chose her over someone who didn't go far. It wasn't against Brooke was it?

I think Chloe lost to Ashland. Miley said she wanted a country artist.

Edited by Dots And Stripes
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Valny said:

I believe it was Ashland. I never got the Ashland appeal and Chloe is obviously very unique, but I think Miley wanted a country singer on her team.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 1

With the exception of the drag performance, which was a bombastic moment (especially for a big 3 network) and simply fabulous I found the entire finale to be a bit of a...

200w_d.gif

Oh, and Im ready for Adam and Blake to sit a season out.

• Love 5
  • I don't think Miley should regret her choices. She was on the money with Brooke who was arguably a better singer )better voice and more consistent than Chloe who could be amazing and then...not).  Miley really coached her, too, and Brooke really grew as a performer and  blossomed with her coaching.  She looked so joyful last night, so happy to be there. That's good coaching (looking at you, AI!) Meanwhile, Blake did what he does best--being supportive of what his people want to do and using his soft-salesmanship to get his singers support.  Not that Ch loe is undeserving, although she really blew it last night, but I can't help wondering if Brooke was thin if it might have pulled enough additional votes in for her to win
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I'm probably not going to watch the show tonight since I don't give a flying fudge about any of the final 4, but I found out through social media that Noah & Bastille performed together which makes me so happy! I've been playing that song of theirs on repeat since it was released and the fact that Noah got to sing it with them? EVEN BETTER. I've already watched tonight's performance too many times on youtube.

I've been looping the Noah & Bastille performance - a perfect match.  The show did Noah right, all things considered.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Padma said:
  • I don't think Miley should regret her choices. She was on the money with Brooke who was arguably a better singer )better voice and more consistent than Chloe who could be amazing and then...not).  Miley really coached her, too, and Brooke really grew as a performer and  blossomed with her coaching.  She looked so joyful last night, so happy to be there. That's good coaching (looking at you, AI!) Meanwhile, Blake did what he does best--being supportive of what his people want to do and using his soft-salesmanship to get his singers support.  Not that Ch loe is undeserving, although she really blew it last night, but I can't help wondering if Brooke was thin if it might have pulled enough additional votes in for her to win

Miley could have had Brooke and Chloe. They weren’t up against each other. Miley chose Ashland who had her own struggles. Also, I believe Miley cut Chloe after Landslide, which was the highest charting performance that round. That was not the moment to decide Chloe was inconsistent.

I’d say Brooke had the best voice in the top 12. She kind of faded in the background for me for a few rounds until Amazing Grace. I do wish this show would do more to champion women who don’t have the traditional pop star look but I don’t think they mistreated Brooke because of that.

I really enjoyed this season of The Voice. So much talent compared to past seasons. Best of luck to the final four for future successful careers in music. They are all deserving of it in their different genres of music. I hope the same for Noah, Adam, Davon, Keisha Renee and Janice as well. You don’t have to be a superstar to have a rewarding career in music.

• Love 8

They did a good job of packing in the acts tonight.  I pretty much enjoyed everyone at least to an extent that I don't feel it is even warranted to offer any complaints.  There was a lot of good energy and happy people.  Except maybe for Vince and Red's song, lol.  

Adam always telegraphs when he knows the final results.

• Love 2

It really is comical the way everyone on the show is so over the top about the upcoming stardom of these contestants, especially, the winner, when they really know it's not going to happen.  Oh well, maybe, this time, but, I've said that before.  They just don't produce very successful winners.  But, if you count just making a living, then, I suppose that's what counts. I posted on another thread about one of Christina's team members who did not win, Chris Mann, who was doing quite well. I saw him on his own PBS special and apparently, he has quite a following.  So, good things do come to some from the show.  But, for the most part, it's a gloried singing contest for cash.  Oh, and a car.  That was NICE.  They deserved the cars, imo. 

What I want to know is how they are going to handle the fact that they and the viewer now can tell who will win, by virtue of the Itunes sales.  I mean, it takes all the suspense out of it.  I wonder if they will modify that next season to only count those for the last 24 hours, or something like that.  Still, congratulations to the winner.  I hope she and the other finalists' dreams come true. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What I want to know is how they are going to handle the fact that they and the viewer now can tell who will win, by virtue of the Itunes sales.  I mean, it takes all the suspense out of it.  I wonder if they will modify that next season to only count those for the last 24 hours, or something like that.  Still, congratulations to the winner.  I hope she and the other finalists' dreams come true. 

Except the iTunes sales didn’t tell us the winner last season. Lauren Duski had a sizable lead from iTunes.

I actually thought there was suspense this year. Chloe and Addison both did well on iTunes this season and Addison did a hair better in sales Monday night. I felt like there was a chance any of the 4 could take it, although Red was likely a long shot. Brooke was not an iTunes powerhouse but she did sell the most the week of Amazing Grace and was top 3 last week even though Noah outsold her, which indicated she did well in other forms of voting. IMO, this wasn’t like Sawyer or Jordan whose wins were obvious all season long. 

• Love 4

I sort of gave up on this season after some truly stupid choices by the coaches in the knockouts, but I don't think there's any excuse for a singer as weak and off-key as Chloe (she was awful tonight, my ears  bled) to win a singing show over someone like Brooke or even Red and Addison. As far as the last two nights go, she was bottom of the barrel vocal talent-wise. I know many singers lose their voices at the end of these competitions, but the winning likes of Kelly, Carrie, and many others have sung through major illnesses and sounded passable to brilliant -  never dreadful. To be honest, I have never enjoyed Chloe's voice, but it was excruciatingly bad the past two nights and I found the win to be a joke. The show might as well be called "The Look." 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

The show might as well be called "The Look." 

Too true!  Put the women in tarty outfits, over-the-top extensions, you have a winner!!  I AM happy Red was 4th (he shouldn't have been a finalist), talk about generic.

Some people have been complaining about the singers in drag.  They don't know how to explain that to the little children (the ones who are up after 9:00 PM).  I thought that part was pretty good, but I admit to flipping around so didn't see the whole thing.  I liked Norah Jones & Addison.  Note how one can sing a song without runs & oversinging.  How innovative!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

To be honest, I have never enjoyed Chloe's voice, but it was excruciatingly bad the past two nights and I found the win to be a joke. The show might as well be called "The Look." 

That might have been why Chris Blue was featured so prominently the last few episodes and last night. His performance was definitely riveting, but the song itself was just another production element. Chloe is wise to put a lot of work and thought into the visual aspect of her performances.

I love Billy Idol, but that duet was awkward to watch. I did enjoy Chloe's reaction to hearing that she was getting to duet with him, though.

And speaking of "The Look" it was great that Jessie J chose an understated outfit when she emerged in the middle of Nedra Bell's performance. That made her stand out in a good way, and focused on her amazing voice in the midst of an already spectacular show. (Everyone in that piece sang brilliantly!)

16 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

I liked Norah Jones & Addison.  Note how one can sing a song without runs & oversinging.  How innovative!

That duet beautifully highlighted Addison's tone.

Miley must have felt a lot of pride that the top three were people originally on her team. I remember feeling surprised when Blake and Adam made their steals, so good on them, too!

• Love 3

Oh,  America, you are indeed schizophrenic.  If you don't care for fabulous drag queen performances, stick around and watch a bald, dumpy guy full of corn pone sing a country song.  LOL.

I don't remember all the past seasons' winners, and I'm too lazy to look it up.  But is this the first time someone who absolutely cannot sing has won "The Voice"? 

Too bad Dan Smith (singer for Bastille) couldn't have taught Noah more arm movement choreography besides the left-hand tomahawk chop.  Also too bad the awesome lady dancer from Pharrell's performance couldn't have taught Chloe just a little bit about rhythmic body movement, because Chloe's lack of rhythm during "White Wedding" was just sooo awkward.   

• Love 6

Belated thoughts,

No finalist's bring back group performances, which was a little bit of a bummer. There were a few worthy people in that Top 24 range that would have been nice to see again.

Really disappointed in Vince Gill and Red's duet. That was one I was looking forward to and surprisingly it felt like Vince didn't completely have his voice altogether for that performance. He sounded worn out to some degree.

Could not stand Chris Blue last year, and that has not changed one iota. Such pretentious and self-indulgent dreck.

Addison and Norah Jones was very nice. Part of me is very glad that Addison did not win at age 16. She'll get a little more room to breathe and decompress, figure out the style of record she wants to make and honestly just a have a little more life experience to draw from (assuming she's involved in the writing process to some degree). If Adam doesn't stay involved with her career in at least a modest capacity I'll be surprised.

Bizarrely, I thought the Keisha, Adam and Bebe Rexha trio that opened the show wasn't half bad. Adam and Bebe's voices were an interesting juxtaposition.

Charlie Puth was full-on channeling dance pop era Maroon 5. No wonder Adam didn't have any issues stepping in on guitar. Demi Lovato and Kelly Clarkson were nice to hear, N.E.R.D. was somewhat confusing though.

I wonder if Chloe's been in Nashville long enough where a few, rock leaning songwriters and producers may jump on board to help create her "sound". Not Gretchen Wilson or Ashland Craft's southern rock sound....but more like something with spirit of a few of Miranda Lambert's song choices...

• Love 1

Worse season ever ever ever......I am going to give this show just one more season and then call it quits. They were all horrible. I am almost as mad as I was when Adam Lambert didn't win on American Idol.  I stopped watching that show after that fresh hell. 

The winner can not sing on key, WHAT? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

To be honest, I have never enjoyed Chloe's voice, but it was excruciatingly bad the past two nights and I found the win to be a joke. The show might as well be called "The Look.

Totally totally totally agree.  After now watching this show for the first time from the very beginning to the bitter end, I now know why I've never done so before - and why I never will again.

• Love 2

I actually really enjoyed this season and would have been happy with either a Chloe or Addison win.  Chloe's voice was obviously shot last night and hopefully she will get advice on how to take care of it, but I think she has a lot of talent and presence.  

My other favorite this season was Moriah.  Miley had the most talented group on the show and let most of it go.  Really bizarre choices IMO.

• Love 9

I started out liking Chloe but then rapidly didn’t. I jus didn’t want Red to win.

i cheered so hard during the drag performance. So great. And completely squeed over billy idol. Love him, don’t care who knows it. Lol

• Love 3

The best thing about last night was that the rock chicks finally got some redemption after what happened to Juliet Simms in Season 2.  Once again we had a favorite going into a finale after having given some of the best performances of the season, but who was in the process of losing their voice.  I feared that Brooke (this season's version of Jermaine Paul) was going to pull it out based on strong vocal performances in the final couple of weeks.  This was the second season in a row where my favorite actually won.   I don't think that's ever happened before.

Of course, the finale did have some other stand-out moments.  I thought the Sia-Brooke duet was sublime (hard to believe they only had about 45 minutes to rehearse together).  The drag performance was pure entertainment.  I also enjoyed Chloe with Billy Idol, as well as Addison with Norah Jones.

In an interview today, Chloe mentioned that Billy Idol was the one who actually reached out to The Voice and asked to do a duet with her.  The producers originally had someone else in mind, but there was no way she was going to turn down Billy Idol.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Oh,  America, you are indeed schizophrenic.  If you don't care for fabulous drag queen performances, stick around and watch a bald, dumpy guy full of corn pone sing a country song.  LOL.

I don't remember all the past seasons' winners, and I'm too lazy to look it up.  But is this the first time someone who absolutely cannot sing has won "The Voice"? 

Too bad Dan Smith (singer for Bastille) couldn't have taught Noah more arm movement choreography besides the left-hand tomahawk chop.  Also too bad the awesome lady dancer from Pharrell's performance couldn't have taught Chloe just a little bit about rhythmic body movement, because Chloe's lack of rhythm during "White Wedding" was just sooo awkward.   

I have watched all seasons and yes, this was the first time.  All prior winners were strong vocalists, imo.  I think the the only one that I didn't care for was Cassidy Pope, but, she could sing. 

I was really burned out on The Voice, but, got pulled in this season, since there was a strong contestant from my home state, NC.  I'm glad I got to see her, but, unless there's another NC contestant next season, I'm done. lol 

• Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, Jal said:

I believe it was Ashland. I never got the Ashland appeal and Chloe is obviously very unique, but I think Miley wanted a country singer on her team.

IMHO opinion, I think Blake's contestants last longer than if they were on another team.  I do think that Miley should have picked Chloe over Ashland since that's when she sang Landslide.  OTOH, Blake might have stolen Ashland.  Then Blake's fans that like country artists might have made her last one week longer to at least the semi-finals.  As Red said, he picked Blake since he knew Blake would make him only sing country songs.  Ashland was gone the week Miley had her sing a rock song.  She wasn't in the bottom when she sang country songs even if people thought she sounded mediocre.   Also, while Chloe did have good weeks, she was inconsistent and had bad weeks especially towards the end when her voice was going.  Maybe, during those weeks, she would have been gone if she was on Miley's team.

I also noticed another thing about Chloe and Miley.  Miley picks artists that she thinks she can help.  During the blind auditions, when somebody is really good, she often says that she didn't turn around because she didn't know how she could help them.  When it came time to pick Chloe vs. Ashland, I think she had it in her mind that she was already going to pick Ashland no matter how they did in their knockouts.  One reason is because she wanted a country singer.  Miley also said that Chloe would be the easy choice for her since they are similar.  I don't know if Miley just said that because she needed an excuse.  I did notice that Blake let Chloe do what she wanted since she had a vision of who she is.  So maybe, Miley did let her go because she felt that she could help Ashland more than she could help Chloe.   Or maybe, she just connected more with Ashland.  Miley seemed to have a strong bond with her team.

ETA - This also made me think that Craig WB wouldn't have won on Gwen's team.  He needed to go there for one week to get a makeover but he needed to be on Blake's team to win.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 8:49 PM, Padma said:

I can't help wondering if Brooke was thin if it might have pulled enough additional votes in for her to win

But... but... but... it's called "The Voice".  You mean "America" isn't voting for the best singer???? 

[/sarcasm]

On 12/20/2017 at 10:55 AM, Tanichka said:

I liked Norah Jones & Addison.  Note how one can sing a song without runs & oversinging.  How innovative!

That was about the only part I liked.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

I love Billy Idol, but that duet was awkward to watch. I did enjoy Chloe's reaction to hearing that she was getting to duet with him, though.

She may have been thrilled with the idea, but she came across as fairly terrified of the reality.

• Love 2
On 12/19/2017 at 10:49 PM, Padma said:

Though Brooke certainly has more range than Chloe (or Addison for that matter), I don't think that necessarily means she's a better singer.  The three of them are so stylistically different that it feels like comparing apples and oranges.  Also, I have a hard time with the idea that Brooke was any more consistent than Chloe.  Brooke had several performances in the middle of the season that were mediocre at best.  I personally liked all of Chloe and Addison's individual performances better than I liked several of Brooke's.

While physical attractiveness many unfortunately have influenced some viewers preferences, this may have been offset by the fact that Brooke had a much more sympathetic "backstory" than the other two.  I think a more critical factor is that while both Chloe and Addison had very well defined musical identities at which they excelled, Brooke was all over the place.  I couldn't even begin to guess what kind of original music Brooke will put out after the show.  Her Journey cover was one of the performances of the season, but does anybody really think she would start producing power ballads?

9 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

She may have been thrilled with the idea, but she came across as fairly terrified of the reality.

I didn't get that at all.  Chloe seemed quite comfortable with Billy Idol on stage and they had surprisingly good chemistry.  Certainly much more so than in that duet she did with Noah.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, viajero said:

I didn't get that at all.  Chloe seemed quite comfortable with Billy Idol on stage and they had surprisingly good chemistry.  Certainly much more so than in that duet she did with Noah.

Well, the duet with Noah was nothing much, it's true, but I didn't see any chemistry with Billy Idol at all. Here's a clip of Miley singing Rebel Yell with Billy.   To me, that's what chemistry looks like. He was grinning from ear-to-ear by the end and she looked like she had been singing with him all her life.

• Love 1

I was happy with a Chloe's win. Addison was very forgettable to me and my hubby. Whenever she signs, we thought she was a good singer but we could never remember her the following week  - I know, i know -- it's bad. 

I was never a fan of Red because of the country genre and I am never a fan of the belters so Brooke is out for me  as well. That left me with just Chloe. So, I am happy that she won. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, viajero said:

Though Brooke certainly has more range than Chloe (or Addison for that matter), I don't think that necessarily means she's a better singer.  The three of them are so stylistically different that it feels like comparing apples and oranges.  Also, I have a hard time with the idea that Brooke was any more consistent than Chloe.  Brooke had several performances in the middle of the season that were mediocre at best.  I personally liked all of Chloe and Addison's individual performances better than I liked several of Brooke's.

While physical attractiveness many unfortunately have influenced some viewers preferences, this may have been offset by the fact that Brooke had a much more sympathetic "backstory" than the other two.  I think a more critical factor is that while both Chloe and Addison had very well defined musical identities at which they excelled, Brooke was all over the place.  I couldn't even begin to guess what kind of original music Brooke will put out after the show.  Her Journey cover was one of the performances of the season, but does anybody really think she would start producing power ballads?

They were different and Chloe turned in some excellent performances. But she was really terrible on her solo Monday and it is the finals. "Does anybody really think [Brooke] would start producing power ballads?" Well, that's where I thought she was going post-show,. Then again, I didn't think of Chloe and Addison as "rock chicks" so what do I know?  The season was fine, but it's the first time I can remember really not rooting much for anyone. (Guess it doesn't matter as the ones I -do- favor rarely make it to the final 3 anyway.)

After Blake winning again, I'm going to agree with those who think it's time for him and  Adam to take a season or two off. Maybe Kelly could represent country without being so good at the show that she helps reliably pull her people across. (Not that Chloe didn't deserve to win regardless of team, but I think Blake's style helps bring positive attention to his people. I don't think he would have been as successful with Addison or Brooke, but maybe with Noah.  I was disappointed that Jennifer's refreshingly racially diverse team were all out before the finale, even though I don't care for her much as a coach. 

I wish I'd enjoyed the season as much as usual. Maybe a switch up of Adam and Blake with two new men would help. Of the past ones, I think Usher would be okay to bring back, but not Pharrell or CeeLo (much as I miss the latter's musical knowledge and creative performances.  Probably four completely new judges would be best.

Edited by Padma

I really think they need to try a season without Adam and/or Blake, but they probably think they ratings would suffer. And they're probably right.

I think Chloe is definitely a 'rock chick.' I've never seen Addison called one though. She definitely isn't. Maybe a 'folk chick.'

15 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Well, the duet with Noah was nothing much, it's true, but I didn't see any chemistry with Billy Idol at all. Here's a clip of Miley singing Rebel Yell with Billy.   To me, that's what chemistry looks like. He was grinning from ear-to-ear by the end and she looked like she had been singing with him all her life.

Thanks for the link.  Miley and Billy sang great together.  It's too bad some people won't watch the show because of Miley.  She really can do a lot of different genres and she's works hard as a coach.  People just know her reputation a few years ago and won't give her a chance.  I didn't think Billy and Chloe were bad but it looked like Billy was playing it safe.  I think it would have been better if Chloe's voice wasn't shot.  Would have loved to see Billy with Moriah.

Agree with the person that said that Jessie J would be great as a coach.  I remember when she sang with Chris Jamison.  She was so supportive.  Love that she made a cameo in the Nedra Belle performance.  That was awesome.  Chris and the rest were great singers and performers.

Previously, thought that Addison should sing Norah Jones so it made sense that they would have a duet.  She's not a rocker chick at all.  Brooke was great with Sia.

I think the right person won.  I LOVED Chloe's unique voice and she really knows how to perform with emotion, not just belt out a song to show how impressive her voice is.  As far as continued success goes, it really goes far beyond who has the best voice anyway....it is who has the best songs that people can relate to.  If you are not a songwriter, you better have some kind of connections with someone who is.  I really liked Noah as well because he also was unique (not always with the best choices, but he tried).   I've never watched Idol in the past and I don't plan to now, but it sure sounds like on this show and Idol it doesn't matter who wins anyway, it's more about who makes the most of the exposure. 

• Love 5