Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Mitya

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Screen+Shot+2017-12-13+at+2.19.59+PM+%25

When Vice President Hurst feels threatened that Secretary of State McCord is vying to be the next president, she attempts to set Elizabeth up for failure by promising that Americans will continue to be able to adopt Russian orphans, despite the potential ban by Russia’s president. Also, Elizabeth and Henry find out Stevie is dating Dmitri after he is followed by a Russian assassin.

Promos

On December 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM, CooperTV said:

Also, Elizabeth and Henry find out Stevie is dating Dmitri after he is followed by a Russian assassin.

Finally! What does it take for Spy Daddy and Spy Mommy to figure this out? A plot by a Russian assasin? Oh. Yeah. I guess it does.

• Love 2

So sad and heartbreaking about Stevie and Dmitri. Feels like every time they just used Dmitri and when the problem was solved, they tossed him away. 

Why can’t there be another happy couple in the series? 

• Love 5
On 1/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, shapeshifter said:

Finally! What does it take for Spy Daddy and Spy Mommy to figure this out? A plot by a Russian assasin? Oh. Yeah. I guess it does.

Stevie is an adult, and her parents have no reason to spy on her.  Why should they have figured it out?

I think it's interesting that, in this episode,the VP was made to really resemble a real life political figure.  

I'm sad about Dmitri & Stevie, but I don't see where Henry screwed him.  Dmitri knew he shouldn't be involved with Stevie, and Henry was justifiably angry that his daughter's life was put at risk.  Once they found out about the assassin, what was Henry supposed to do?  Let Dmitri stay in DC and wait for the next one?  

• Love 3

Stevie annoyed me in this episode. When Henry and Elizabeth told her she couldn't see Dmitri she throw a tantrum like a five year old. I understand her being upset but when they told her that his name was classified she was acted like a petulant child. "I work at the White House."  Girl just because you work at the White House doesn't mean you are high on the food chain. Then she stomps up the stairs when she hears that Elizabeth has to leave. 

Well, Dmitri did say he wanted to go off somewhere quiet with Stevie, and light a fire in a cabin.  However, I would assume the upper level of the GRU is well aware of Dmitri's existence, so sending him to Alaska is not foolproof protection for him.  The GRU can track him down again. 

I foresee a long, involved plotline here between the VP and the SoS.  The VP better develop some skills in foreign relations in a big hurry if she intends to stand on her credibility come the election.  Her performance was not especially powerful this time.  For that matter, Bess could make an off the cuff remark to the press to satisfy the VP that she has no interest in running for President, and revoke it later. 

• Love 3

Is Dmitri never allowed to date anyone ever? Because that is really sad. The poor boy has been imprisoned, tortured, exiled, and now the only person he will ever have is his sister. I also have to wonder if Stevie would be more safe than someone else because of who she is, at least from government sanctioned attacks. Attacking a child of the Secretary McCord would have many more implications than attacking a regular citizen. Of course that might appeal to groups wanting to start trouble. I hope we get to see him again because he really is one of my favorite characters, and I honestly like him with Stevie now that they have gotten past the initial cringe-inducing behavior at the beginning of their relationship. Maybe we will get happy ending somehow.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Manda317 said:

Is Dmitri never allowed to date anyone ever? Because that is really sad. The poor boy has been imprisoned, tortured, exiled, and now the only person he will ever have is his sister. I also have to wonder if Stevie would be more safe than someone else because of who she is, at least from government sanctioned attacks. Attacking a child of the Secretary McCord would have many more implications than attacking a regular citizen. Of course that might appeal to groups wanting to start trouble. I hope we get to see him again because he really is one of my favorite characters, and I honestly like him with Stevie now that they have gotten past the initial cringe-inducing behavior at the beginning of their relationship. Maybe we will get happy ending somehow.

Really sad for Dmitri, they took away Stevie, the only happy thing happened to him. And sending him away and he can’t even see his sister. 

For what he has been through, I really hope he will have a happy ending. 

What Henry said about Dmitri in the kitchen scene with Stevie, I think if Dmitri was not on GRU kill list, Henry would have approved and he would like Dmitri as son in law. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I don't see where Henry screwed him.

"He's been messing with my daughter?!??  Right!  We'll use him as bait for a Mad Bomber/Assassin!  That'll teach him!  I haven't asked him if he's willing, but don't worry, he'll do it, because I'll manipulate him into putting his life in jeopardy, like I always do!"

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

"He's been messing with my daughter?!??  Right!  We'll use him as bait for a Mad Bomber/Assassin!  That'll teach him!  I haven't asked him if he's willing, but don't worry, he'll do it, because I'll manipulate him into putting his life in jeopardy, like I always do!"

I get to have my own opinion.

I just accept the wacky spy hijinx and try to focus on the political aspects of the show. Though Henry did seem like he was punishing Dmitri by "volunteering" him as bait for the assassin. And yeah, Alaska's a LOT closer to Russia than DC is. 

I'm disappointed that they are setting up a female adversary for Elizabeth (where is the Admiral/NSA advisor?), and that the VP is putting her own ambitions ahead of what's best for the country. Even Senator Asshole realized he had to work with the government to bring down the mole. (And both Henry and Bess appealed to him as an AMERICAN, even they they all hate each others' guts.)

And it's just like Russell to promise the Veep Conrad's endorsement for President.

It's become clear that Elizabeth IS thinking of running for President herself, while it hasn't been stated in so many words. It makes sense: she's an effective Secretary of State, is Conrad's protege, and doesn't seem to have any major skeletons in her closet (except for working for the CIA...and Conrad used to do that, too.)

Shooting the cannon at the suit of armor was awesome.

• Love 1

I absolutely loved the VP's snide put down about Elizabeth's politically motivated Christmas party.  "I hear you had a taco truck," she said, her voice dripping with condescension. 

I do not believe Stevie had a taco truck at the party.  That's what makes the VP's burn even more perfect!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Maybe TPTB have a plan to rename the show "Madam President" after she decides to run and wins??

I guess that would in part depend upon 1) when in the show's universe the next presidential election is, and 2) how many more seasons they want.
Based on these kinds of boards, I'm under the impression that most TV show actors' contracts go for 7 years, and so do most shows. Could they spread out the election campaign stuff over 3 and a half more seasons In such a way that anyone would want to watch? I'd prefer either the reboot of "Madam President," or, even better, have her maybe not run and stay as SoS for the new administration. It could be interesting to see her working with political adversaries like Senator Asshole.

• Love 1

I'm glad Dmitri and Stevie are over, though I definitely felt for both of them. Mostly Dmitri.  

It really did feel like Henry was okay with using Dmitri as bait because he was pissed, and I didn't like that. Also wasn't a fan of how he basically spit at Dmitri that he or Elizabeth MAY have had a role in Dmitri being hurt- you know you played a role and let it drive your actions, but now that you're mad at him, it is "maybe?"

Mitya? I barely knew ya!

Seriously though, I have been really bored with this show lately and the Dmitri/Stevie relationship has been the only thing holding my interest lately so I am disappointed to see that storyline wrapped up already. 

Was it really smart for Elizabeth to be in Russia talking on the phone to SpyDaddy about the assassin and where Dmitri is going next? Hopefully the Russians weren't bugging her.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

She's going to run as an independent and win?  Can that actually happen?  Has it ever happened before?

In the show's world, isn't that how Dalton got re-elected?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I absolutely loved the VP's snide put down about Elizabeth's politically motivated Christmas party.  "I hear you had a taco truck," she said, her voice dripping with condescension. 

I do not believe Stevie had a taco truck at the party.  That's what makes the VP's burn even more perfect!

Stevie had a friend who owns a taco truck cater the party, I believe.

10 hours ago, bros402 said:

Stevie had a friend who owns a taco truck cater the party, I believe.

Darn it!  I missed that, what with the holiday break apparently messing with my short term to long term memory transfer process.  I blame the Chardonnay. 

It is still a great burn, delivered with perfection.  Who was that actress playing the VP?  I'm starting to really like the dynamic between her and Tea Leoni on the screen.

• Love 1
On ‎08‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 2:17 AM, Manda317 said:

Is Dmitri never allowed to date anyone ever?

He probably is, just not the daughter of the Sec of State since, technically, they're violating the deal they made that Dmitri cannot work in intelligence anymore (even if Henry The SuperHero tried to explain it away in the S3 finale).

I imagine that it would be hard for Dmitri though as he can never be honest with anyone.

On ‎08‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 1:54 PM, shapeshifter said:

I guess that would in part depend upon 1) when in the show's universe the next presidential election is, and 2) how many more seasons they want.
Based on these kinds of boards, I'm under the impression that most TV show actors' contracts go for 7 years, and so do most shows. Could they spread out the election campaign stuff over 3 and a half more seasons In such a way that anyone would want to watch?

I don't think that's going to happen since Bess would have to resign as Sec of State before she starts campaigning and she'd have to do that roughly two years before the election, I think. I doubt anyone would watch two seasons of campaigning (if we assume that one season equals one year). I don't think even I would watch that. I also don't think that this show is going to reach the seven season mark. With a little bit of luck, we might get a season 5.

I'd prefer either the reboot of "Madam President," or, even better, have her maybe not run and stay as SoS for the new administration.

I actually want her to run and I want that to be how they'll end the show, that she resigns so that she can campaign. Since, as I said above, I don't believe the show will be around for another three seasons, I think it's a perfect way to end it before Conrad's second term is up. I do want sort of an epilogue though, with Bess being sworn in, I'm greedy like that ;-)

As far as a reboot as "Madam President" is concerned, I would like to see that but I doubt it'll happen.

It could be interesting to see her working with political adversaries like Senator Asshole.

I'm not sure it would be interesting. I imagine it would be like the first few episodes of S2 and I think that would get frustrating rather quickly. It was fine for those few episodes but a whole season of that? I don't think I could stand watching that. I don't want my (favorite) TV show to frustrate me. And since the enemy would be President, I couldn't even hope for a take-down which would make it even more frustrating.

Additionally, since this particular Senator is the pain in the butt that he is, I don't want him to have the honor to become President and be rewarded for his asshole behavior.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 3
On 1/8/2018 at 2:42 PM, MerBearHou said:

Maybe TPTB have a plan to rename the show "Madam President" after she decides to run and wins??

It wouldn't be practical for her to become President.  If she did, they'd have a very hard time making Henry more important and special than she was.  Unless they introduce a monarchy? Then she could be President and Henry would be King!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

...I actually want her to run and I want that to be how they'll end the show, that she resigns so that she can campaign. Since, as I said above, I don't believe the show will be around for another three seasons, I think it's a perfect way to end it before Conrad's second term is up. I do want sort of an epilogue though, with Bess being sworn in, I'm greedy like that ;-)

As far as a reboot as "Madam President" is concerned, I would like to see that but I doubt it'll happen...

Agree. The ongoing 'Elizabeth for President ' mantra that has been prevalent for weeks now points to that kind of finale because the series will end after this season. IMO. If the series was going to run past this season, I doubt that viewers would have been given so many early revelations in recent episodes on her possible ambitions for President. Really, how else can it end since the SoS position only persists at the wishes of the President in power. 

Edited by VinceW

Just watched it again.  Got a kick out of Tea’s “she’s Cagney to my Lacey” line (or vice versa) — nice reference to Tim Daly’s sister, Tyne.  Also chuckled when the guys were briefing Bess at the beginning and Blake knew to pivot and chase her the other way down the hall — he knows her so well.

Fascinating to watch the VP “work” the Russian president through his infatuation with guns/gunpowder/things that go boom.  I loved how Elizabeth & the VP negotiated together with the Russian prez in the end.  Good to see them stand strong together, even if a few minutes later the VP once again showed her uber-ambition.  Darn it, they only had a few minutes of solidarity but they were good ones.

Sad for Dmitri.  I didn’t care for Stevie and Dmitri together but felt sad for that young man.  Stevie will be just fine.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

It makes no sense to send Dimitri to Alaska to keep him safe. DC has cameras everywhere. People are everywhere. Not that I’ve tried, but I think it would be much harder to kill someone without being seen or caught in DC than Alaska. 

Also, just because Alaska is geographically closer to Russia doesn’t mean its a good place to monitor Russian activity from. Dimitri isn’t going to be sitting around in Alaska with a telescope pointed toward Siberia.

• Love 3

In the show's world, isn't that how Dalton got re-elected?

Yes, he ran as an independent. So they'd really have to work hard to make the VP a viable candidate in the show's world: so far, we've seen no evidence of a third party...many of the people in Dalton's old party consider him a traitor, and they don't show what the blowback is from the opposing party.

I could suspend disbelief long enough to think that Russell could somehow run a national campaign with no infrastructure (or that all the important people he needed came over to Dalton with him), but it doesn't go as far as to running a non-incumbent for prez without a party.

Which could mean that the Veep goes back to the old party, or she (or Bess) cross over to the opposition.

COULD be fascinating...will it be? Hope so.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Athena5217 said:

It makes no sense to send Dimitri to Alaska to keep him safe. DC has cameras everywhere. People are everywhere. Not that I’ve tried, but I think it would be much harder to kill someone without being seen or caught in DC than Alaska. 

Also, just because Alaska is geographically closer to Russia doesn’t mean its a good place to monitor Russian activity from. Dimitri isn’t going to be sitting around in Alaska with a telescope pointed toward Siberia.

It was because Dmitri worked for CIA so the Russians sent assasin to kill him. It also makes no sense that Henry will let him stay in Alaska station and continue working for CIA. Dmitri will be still in danger of getting killed. 

12 hours ago, SW Sam said:

also makes no sense that Henry will let him stay in Alaska station and continue working for CIA. Dmitri will be still in danger of getting killed. 

Agreed. Assassins coming by speed boat. Or dog sled.

But now I'm picturing Stevie coming by way of a cruise stopover. Or dogsled.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2018 at 9:36 AM, HurricaneVal said:

Who was that actress playing the VP?  I'm starting to really like the dynamic between her and Tea Leoni on the screen.

Jayne Atkinson. She's popped up on the Law and Order shows from time-to-time as well.

The most prominent "cancel/renew" people seem to thing that "Madam Secretary" is a lock for renewal for at least one more season. 

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Agreed. Assassins coming by speed boat. Or dog sled.

But now I'm picturing Stevie coming by way of a cruise stopover. Or dogsled.

So the main reason Henry sent Dmitri to Alaska is

1. to prevent him from dating Stevie, but not cared about his safety. He still wanted Dmitri’s intel but didn’t want him to date his daughter

or

2. the writers wanted to leave an open end so that they may bring Dmitri back in the future 

I hope the reason is the latter. 

• Love 1

I thought they moved Dmitri somewhere more remote so the Russians wouldn't know where he was and was therefore safer.  By sending him somewhere remote, he is unlikely to be spotted. 

Did I make that up in my head? (Entirely possible)

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I thought they moved Dmitri somewhere more remote so the Russians wouldn't know where he was and was therefore safer.  By sending him somewhere remote, he is unlikely to be spotted. 

Did I make that up in my head? (Entirely possible)

I do think that was Henry's message, but at least some of us (me) are scratching our heads about:

• Henry's other motive (Stevie)
  • the proximity of Alaska to the country of origin of those who want to assassinate Dmitri
  • the optics of Alaska being the US equivalent of Siberia (maybe only me on this one)
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

the optics of Alaska being the US equivalent of Siberia (maybe only me on this one)

No, that's accurate in some respects.  I knew a guy who had been stationed on Adak Island with the USAF.  It's on the Aleutian Island chain.  As he put it, "It's not the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

No, that's accurate in some respects.  I knew a guy who had been stationed on Adak Island with the USAF.  It's on the Aleutian Island chain.  As he put it, "It's not the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there."

Except aren't the Aleutians pretty temperate? If we really want to picture Dmitri in exile: 10 Coldest, Darkest Places in Alaska

One more thought: If the writers wanted to go totally soap opera: Dmitri would run away and get plastic surgery to make him improbably look like a new, fresh faced young actor (which is precisely who would be recast as Dimitri). But alas, Stevie would either not be able to accept the "new" Dmitri, or she would not be able to lie to her parents, or she would be captured by the would-be assassins, and "new" Dmitri would have to give himself up to save her.

Did anyone else get Titanic flashbacks during their last tryst at the hotel?

Edited by shapeshifter
TMTOMH
On 1/9/2018 at 0:36 PM, HurricaneVal said:

It is still a great burn, delivered with perfection.  Who was that actress playing the VP?  I'm starting to really like the dynamic between her and Tea Leoni on the screen.

Per TWOP, the poor man’s Helen Mirren. She was the head of Homeland Security (and de facto head of CTU) and then Nat’l Security Advisor on 24. She was also on House of Cards. So she has this political persona down pat. 

“If I had my way, they wouldn’t get a lunch.”  Never change, Russell. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, betsyboo said:

“If I had my way, they wouldn’t get a lunch.”  Never change, Russell. 

Recently I read a book by Alyssa Mastromonaco, who worked for Pres. Obama, and she said it was incredibly rare for anyone to leave the building for lunch because of the time to get in and out of the WH grounds.  Security, you know.  I think she said that in the context of touting one of her greatest achievements - getting a tampon machine in the ladies restroom.  There was no time to run to Walgreens or CVS.  

What was with the hideous pantsuits worn by the VP?  Yikes.   

Isn't the preferred Russian assassination method outside their country some type of poisoning?  A little ricin shot into your leg, a little polonium in your tea?  It seems only in Russia that they kill people in a very bloody way in public. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

A little ricin shot into your leg...

It's been forty years since Georgi Markov was in the news!  Surely they have something new now?  Can't they hack into your bathroom server and upload a bomb or something?

It's got to be complicated so they can run an op with cameras, code names, and Henry in charge, barking orders.  . 

In reality, I feel Dmitri would have become one of the 30 or so victims of gun violence each day in America.  But why just walk up or drive by and shoot him, when you can skulk in your car with sinister demeanor as he walks to his car in the almost empty parking lot of the cheap motel he's chosen for afternoon delight, and then on a busy street, zoom around on a motorcycle calling attention to yourself before putting a bomb on a car in a spot where your target can see it and have enough of a delay-action prior to BOOM! that allows your target to escape?  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

It's been forty years since Georgi Markov was in the news!  Surely they have something new now?  Can't they hack into your bathroom server and upload a bomb or something?

Yeah, they use polonium nowadays :P

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Calvada said:

before putting a bomb on a car in a spot where your target can see...

Why do Hollywood Secret Gizmos (like bugs, trackers, bombs, etc) all go Beep!  Beep! Beep! and have giant, bright, flashing LED lights?

• Love 1
On ‎09‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Dowel Jones said:

She could end up as a Designated Survivor.  Bonus empathy points if Henry bites it along the way.

When I googled to see if "Designated Survivor" really was a thing (when the TV show with the same name came out) I read that it's unusual to pick a high level cabinet member. Although, considering the way the show has been going, I could see Dalton pick Bess because he seems to consider her the most capable out of his cabinet. And that includes his VP.

I'm surprised that the VP wouldn't know by now that she was picked only to deliver PA. I guess, given the politically ambitious woman that she seems to be, she would have gone for it anyway but Washington is a small town, so she shouldn't be surprised that she doesn't have the President's or Russell's backing (anymore) and she should have had a pretty good idea that she never really had it/that she would be fighting an uphill battle for it. She also shouldn't be surprised because this is politics. Additionally, I would think that she has seen Bess' approval ratings and given how long she has been in politics, if the ratings are as good as Russell said and I have no reason to doubt him, she should know that trying to get Bess to run would make sense from a political standpoint. And the biggest hint should probably be that Bess delivered the presidency to Dalton: she suggested he run as an Independent and she got him the peace deal solution with Iran and Israel which got him the votes in the House.

That said, I wasn't left feeling that she's naive. Maybe she also does know all of the above and that is why she acted the way she did. And it must be frustrating to work so hard to climb the political ladder and then come up against someone who never had any political ambitions. On the other hand, I think that is part of what makes Bess so good. She doesn't care about the optics, so she makes decisions differently and I can easily see how that would resonate better with the public. It probably makes her more authentic. (Maybe the VP should try it some time ;-))

Didn't they use a different VP actress in season 3?

I think it's kind of cute how Bess keeps saying she has zero ambitions to run for President. I actually believe her. I don't think she has any ambitions and she probably hates the idea of campaigning. But I don't think that that means that she wouldn't be interested in the job. She loved Conrad's pitch of affecting real change in the world, that is what drives and she could continue that as President, so I think that is something that would interest her. She probably just doesn't want to run for it. (And I really could do without the whole running for President story. Not because I don't want Bess as President, I really do, but I don't want to get my hopes up and then get disappointed)

I loved the beginning, the look that Russell gave Dalton regarding the VP and Dalton's immediate response. Great acting! Same goes for everyone else at the beginning and throughout the episode but the beginning really stood out as there was so much going on but it didn't feel overwhelming. Great scene between Bess and Russell in Bess' office, too, and I laughed out loud at Russell "We like you better". So do I and I think a whole bunch of other viewers, too ;-)

I also loved Bess drawing the line. I'm surprised the VP left with her but I guess, if she had stayed and negotiated she would have been finished. But that was really well done and very true to Bess' nature. She has a habit of staying back in situations like these but taking a stance when she has to.

I was surprised how little my sympathies were with the VP. She was fighting for a good cause, and it wasn't even that she was acting as an adversary. Bess just made more sense and acted more professional than the VP. And Bess stayed professional throughout the episode. I didn't want the VP to fail, I just wanted Bess to be the one to get the win, not because the VP was the adversary but because she acted so unprofessionally.

I certainly saw more of Stevie and Dmitri than I ever wanted to (and what is it with Stevie and meetings guys in hotel rooms?) but that was more or less the only thing I didn't like about the episode. If they had cut the scenes between Stevie and Dmitri and half and given me more of Henry and Bess then it would have been perfect but I'm not going to complain too much because I thought the acting was spot on! Henry's reaction and his confrontation with Dmitri: awesome! And Stevie was such a child when they told her but I thought it was very in character, too, and probably how a young woman would react in that situation. I liked that she was reasonable about it later on, and since I'm a sucker for continuity, and call-backs my heart melted when they brought up her past relationships! And, of course, we had the added bonus of domestic Henry and his intelligence work was tolerable and kept to a minimum and my absolute highlight was the scene between him and Bess when she came back from Russia! I've recently watched a lot of season 1 episodes and there were so many scenes like that and I really miss them, so getting it made me very happy. (I'm simple like that ;-))

• Love 1