Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: An Epi-pen and a Security Cat

paulvdb

I thought that was strange none of them were aware that was Mary's apartment when Christy went to buy back her computer.  I thought they would know everyone in the group and where they lived.  Maybe it's just the 5 main characters and not the other's in the group.  They kept talking about how bad the neighborhood was and they were afraid of getting out of the car so I had no clue that an elderly lady like Mary would be living there.

• Love 1

I liked this episode quite a bit because it made excellent use of Marjorie and Wendy. And not that I've grown to hate Adam but I was grateful for the break from him.

But - I will never understand why Christy and Bonnie are sleeping in the same bed if there's a full size bed downstairs not in use. At least they mentioned Roscoe so that's something, but clearly he's rarely staying with them.

• Love 5

I loved the fact that Christy, Bonnie and the girls did not judge Mary for what her grandson did.  In fact they were so supportive of her and saw to it that Mary would be coming back to the meeting.  Mary also showed a lot of courage and returned the stolen items to Christy and Bonnie.  These recovering addicts have all done shady things in their past and working the program has helped them take ownership of their past actions, so they don't condemn those who are currently struggling.  There is a sense of "there for the grace of god" in dealing with these struggling addicts, however, they are not doormats either.  This show is a great example of how powerful and life changing the program can be while at the same time it does not shy away from how hard it is and sadly, some people will never make it and will die from it.  

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

I thought that was strange none of them were aware that was Mary's apartment when Christy went to buy back her computer.  I thought they would know everyone in the group and where they lived.  Maybe it's just the 5 main characters and not the other's in the group.  They kept talking about how bad the neighborhood was and they were afraid of getting out of the car so I had no clue that an elderly lady like Mary would be living there.

That didn't strike me as odd. The core women have never been shown interacting with Mary outside of the meetings before, so I wouldn't assume that they knew where she lived. It's Alcoholics *Anonymous*, so I wouldn't expect everyone in the meeting to have a ton of information on everyone else besides what each person chooses to share in the meetings.

As for an elderly lady living in a bad neighborhood, Northern California has a high cost of living, and depending on how severe Mary's addiction was, it may have significantly affected her earning potential and wiped out her savings. Remember that Christy and Bonnie struggled to find a decent apartment they could afford, and they only got the one they currently live in because Bonnie finagled the superintendent job.

• Love 8

I used to teach adults GED in poor, dicey parts of town.  The students knew each other for the most part.  Their system of trading and sharing resources and info was awesome.  So much reciprocation just as allies, not necessarily friends, in the struggle. 

Shit was real.

Bonnie and Christ seem to get that.  

• Love 4
On 12/22/2017 at 0:57 PM, iMonrey said:

I will never understand why Christy and Bonnie are sleeping in the same bed if there's a full size bed downstairs not in use.

I agree it's weird. This episode I hand-waved it as being because they were feeling nervous post-burglary. But it still seemed weird.

There are lots of poor people of all ages in dicey neighborhoods.

• Love 3
On 12/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, iMonrey said:

But - I will never understand why Christy and Bonnie are sleeping in the same bed if there's a full size bed downstairs not in use. At least they mentioned Roscoe so that's something, but clearly he's rarely staying with them.

It's pretty understandable, they decided to sleep in the same bed when they first got into the apartment like 2 seasons ago because they only had the one and now they stick with it. They're used to sleeping in the same bed after years of having to do so.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

I think we need to just accept it's a convenience for the writers, just like the elevator that never gets fixed in THE BIG BANG THEORY.

This.  The writers like having Christy and Bonnie in the same bedroom and bed having conversations, and we are supposed to believe Roscoe still lives with Christy part-time.  Christy and Baxter agreed to share custody, and they each have Roscoe every other week even though we no longer see Roscoe.

I was surprised that Bonnie went to make amends to the woman at the end, and that the woman was willing to accept Bonnie's apology and a check, and call it a day.  Bonnie got lucky.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I was surprised that Bonnie went to make amends to the woman at the end, and that the woman was willing to accept Bonnie's apology and a check, and call it a day.  Bonnie got lucky.

There probably wasn't much the woman could do other than accept a check.  The statute of limitations had likely passed. 

• Love 3

It was a surprisingly heavy episode for Christmas, and it seemed a tad disjointed, like it'd been written / filmed before any of the other stuff happened. THere was no explanation for Adam's absence, Patrick's absence, Victor's condition... I kind of want to know if Patrick & Christy, ahem, you know.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I've been going to the same meeting for 25+ years, I only know where a handful of people live.

Ditto.  I have phone numbers and a few e-mails, but for the most part, I don't know where most of the people I come in to contact live, save for the town.  My husband knows where a few live because he's picked them up to take them to meetings (DUI - lost license), but not many.

• Love 2