Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E01: Week 1: Premiere

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I'm so over the fake long extensions look. Tia, Maquel, anyone else? Does anyone still think that looks good on anyone? It's so Paris Hilton circa 2003.

and to me their hair always looks somewhat unkempt, as (I assume) they can't really smoothly brush them out? I wouldn't know LOL as I am very low maintenance. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

All of these women are obsessed with themselves, have loads of selfies, posed shots, and are Barbie's. Most of them are there to promote themselves in some way shape or form. I like Becka because she seems slightly less fake than the ones who all look exactly the same, with the same dye job and the same extensions and the same false eyelashes and the same plastic boobs. I won't say she is better or worse than the rest, but she is different, and different is something that is seriously lacking on this show.

I think Bekah is possibly the fakest of them all, but I agree with everything else you said here.

11 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I must be missing something because I don't find Chelsea particularly attractive. Many of the other women are prettier IMO. 

This.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t think anyone on this show in 2018 is anything but a famewhore.  The good news is that even a boring, meh looking girl like Amanda can clean up on social media.

No one is really interested in this recycled doofus.  They’re there to get paid sponsors like Fit Tea and Smile Direct Club or whatever.  Some of them pay 30k .  Big money if you work it right.  Carly and Jade are making a killing on Instagram alone. 

I completely agree with this.  I also 100% believe that Arie’s not on this show to find a wife but to extend his 15 minutes of TV fame since he wasn’t able to live up to his father’s career as a race car driver.  Which is great by me because I’m a Wrong Reasons Viewer™️ and I’m looking forward to some mindless fun.

He’s great TV — good looking, not too bright, and apparently willing to go along with whatever the producers want, like giving the first impression rose for maximum dramatic effect to the woman being set up as the villain.  

He’ll play along, get paid, travel, and make out with a bunch of women who are mostly there for the same reasons.  Everybody wins; nobody gets (really) hurt.  I also think that Arie’s not a monster and that’s why he sent home the girl who kept talking about how her since-deceased father met him once.  

I also don’t think the producers cast a bunch of realtors to have something in common with Arie.  First, they start the casting process for contestants long before they’ve finalized the lead, and second, there are always a bunch of realtors because that’s the kind of job that a potential contestant can leave for months at a time to go appear on a reality show.  

The goal of this show isn’t to find the lead a spouse — it’s to make good TV that drives eyeballs to the screen for advertising dollars, and the savvy participants know EXACTLY what the score is.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think Bekah is possibly the fakest of them all, but I agree with everything else you said here.

I wouldn't call her the fakest, but she is certainly the most calculated but I don't think it's fake, I think it's who she is. It is partly a byproduct of being so young and having grown up in a world where all you have to do to be famous is get enough people to watch you sing on youtube. She's out for attention like her peers get when they get a million likes for something "clever" they said in a tweet. I don't think she's fake, though, because I think this is really how she lives her life, sad as it may be.

Fake, to me, is the one who went in for extra time and then pulled "oh, but I thought everyone had already had their time with him!" Please! That is fake as fake can be. Also, the gallons of hair dye, fake boobs, false eyelashes and extensions all scream fake too. I pity a guy who goes to bed with one of these women looking like a supermodel and wakes up next to a haggard mess. lol

• Love 5

Jade.black, I feel your pain. I wish we could watch this show together since we both wanted to/tried to get on this season with Arie. He is a dreamboat, and I hope this season doesn't ruin it for me. Or maybe I hope it does, so I can move on. Meanwhile, I'm there for every against-the-wall-kiss-with-your-hands moment. I can live vicariously that way! Meanwhile, I can't tell any of the women apart except for short-hair Bekah. The herd needs to thin down before I will be able to recognize any and/or know their names. As for the TH font, thank goodness they finally got rid of the white type on yellow background so it can be read. I still can only read part of it since my square box tv only shows the back part of everyone's names, towns and occupations. As for age, I could care less how old anyone is. I grade people by the age they act, not the age they are. People are too fixated on numbers.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Jade.black, I feel your pain. I wish we could watch this show together since we both wanted to/tried to get on this season with Arie. He is a dreamboat, and I hope this season doesn't ruin it for me. Or maybe I hope it does, so I can move on. Meanwhile, I'm there for every against-the-wall-kiss-with-your-hands moment. I can live vicariously that way!

Come to Cleveland and we'll commiserate with lots of alcoholic beverages! I saw someone stole the race car idea, anyway... I'm sure we would have pulled it off better. But yes, he is so painfully attractive. Those eyes! I can't handle it.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, thejuicer said:

I'm so over the fake long extensions look. Tia, Maquel, anyone else? Does anyone still think that looks good on anyone? It's so Paris Hilton circa 2003.

They all seem to blend in to each other and look alike.  Fake fake fake.  Not sure what to think of Bekka M, but at least she is different with the short hair, I'll just say that.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I wouldn't call her the fakest, but she is certainly the most calculated but I don't think it's fake, I think it's who she is. It is partly a byproduct of being so young and having grown up in a world where all you have to do to be famous is get enough people to watch you sing on youtube. She's out for attention like her peers get when they get a million likes for something "clever" they said in a tweet. I don't think she's fake, though, because I think this is really how she lives her life, sad as it may be.

Good point. 'Calculated' is a much better word to describe her. And also, for me, much worse than fake, so that's probably why I hate her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

And also, for me, much worse than fake,

I'm undecided on which I find worse, calculated or fake. It's such a close race.

Right now I'm erring on the side of liking her, not for the win, but she is one of the only ones I remember so far, and I found her snark mildly amusing, which is more than I can say for anything any of the others said, so I feel like I have to cling to her until I get to know some of the clones. I will probably end up hating her soon though. I'm very fickle. 

• Love 7

Okay, so the only two I actually remember seeing on the show are Chelsea who I didn't like, reminds me of Olivia, and Krystal, who I didn't like, and that is a TERRIBLE picture of her! Oh, and Maquel is the one who showed up in the race car. I'd know those roots anywhere! Not a clue who the rest of them are. At least a few of them have side parts this year. That's exciting. 

• Love 3

Slow posting as I just can't seem to get excited as I usually do when this show premieres. Hopefully I will be more enthused as the drama and story lines play out but for me the opening episode was just ok. Seems like the premiere always leaves plenty to talk about as we see the opening gimmicks and the crazy is often already on display. I think some of it is as @ellekotonyok so obviously showed was there were way to many blondes that looked alike and blended together. I was already thinking that and when she posted I had to chuckle as I see from her and others I'm not the only one thinking it. I actually thought Arie must prefer blondes since there were so many of them. I think I've read before on here that the producers give the leads somewhat of a choice in their preferences as I noticed on Nick's season that he seemed to prefer brunettes. I wouldn't be surprised if midway till the end we will see a slew of blondes with a token brunette thrown in so (as the producers probably think) it won't look so obvious. Just like Nick had his token blonde in Corrine. Who I didn't for one minute think he was ever seriously interested in. I may be wrong but I think it's safe to call this the season of the blondes.

I agree with my fellow posters who don't think Chelsea is all that. She's ok but not what I would consider beautiful. And yes she does look like Olivia from Ben's season although I think Olivia was prettier.

I'm gonna reserve judgement on Beckah as I'm not sure how to take her and I've learned with this show you can't always go by first impressions or more accurately first "edits". This show can take you from hating to loving a contestant and vice versa quite often. One thing I will say about her though is with her short hair she is definitely a nice change. Not every one can pull off a short cut but she has the face for it and it looks good on her.

Not sure I'm liking the casting of Tia. I liked Raven in spite of all her quirks and flaws but another one sooo much like her so soon after her season is a little bit of overkill IMO. And that wiener bit in her introduction was a little cringe worthy. She may turn out to be great but I wonder if she makes it far if it would have anything to do with the fact that she's Raven's friend. To me, like Chelsea, she's ok looks wise but not what I would consider beautiful.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
On 02/01/2018 at 4:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Maybe Arie is a nice guy, smooth and chivalrous but I'm not exactly dazzled by his intellectual prowess yet.  Maybe these are his good matches.

I don't see how you can tell based strictly on the premiere. He was listening instead of talking, with the occasional witty comment. Jury is still out for me.

On 02/01/2018 at 5:15 PM, nutty1 said:

Here is what I remember from last night.....

Emily's teeth were awful on her season.

As far as the girls, I just remember lots of blondes and boobs.

I actually thought the kiddie car racing was cute.

Krystal really annoyed me by the end of the 2 hours. And Olivia 2 (Chelsea) could go home now.

I thought Sienne was beautiful.

The extended preview was the typical one for every season. Him kissing lots of girls, everything looking rosy, then the dramatic music and oodles of tears. I am in the minority, I think Arie is a sloppy kisser. But I do think he is very good looking and I do like him. 

I honestly don't think Arie will end up marrying his F1. I want to believe he is sincere, but I have been through this rodeo too many times before.

That's all I got.

Still yearning to see Peter on my screen......

One more thing....thought this was an interesting tweet from Jef Holm....

"Doesn't matter who gets out of the limo...I'll give 5k to the charity of @chrisbharrison's choice if @ariejr lasts 1 year with anyone"

I enjoyed the car racing too. It was cute, not stupid like the show's usual gimmicks. This is the first premiere that I watched in entirety, I wasn't bored like I usually am. I mostly attribute that to Arie, however some of these women are potentially intriguing. 

As for Jef's quote, I really liked him on Emily's season but I think his tweet here is ridiculous. He didn't last with Emily either, so he is the last one to be delivering shade. I am wondering what happened to their amazingly tight friendship. He seems so bitter - did Arie steal one of his subsequent women? Most mature men would have just ignored Arie's season. Doesn't make Jef look mature at all.

On 02/01/2018 at 6:20 PM, GracieK said:

Oh yes.. she is definitely self-possessed and pleased with herself. A quick visit to her Instagram shows a plethora of selfie shots, posed shots, and tons of socality Barbie authenticity. Hardly a shot of her with anyone besides herself! 

Maybe she's an introvert with very few friends, and this was a good way to build up some confidence. What else are you going to do on Instagram anyway, other than taking great scenery shots and endless pics of your dog? (my choice)

On 02/01/2018 at 7:44 PM, Mu Shu said:

I don’t think anyone on this show in 2018 is anything but a famewhore.  The good news is that even a boring, meh looking girl like Amanda can clean up on social media.

No one is really interested in this recycled doofus.  They’re there to get paid sponsors like Fit Tea and Smile Direct Club or whatever.  Some of them pay 30k .  Big money if you work it right.  Carly and Jade are making a killing on Instagram alone. 

I disagree. Certainly many of them are like that, but I think a good many go on there to travel and have a fun time. If the bachelor is actually attractive and fun to be with, that's a bonus, but you actually spend so little time alone with them that it would be like casual dating. I can't see that the 22nd version of this show is really creating "celebrities." Villains are infamous for awhile and can do some PR and other cheesy reality shows, but over the long run, it doesn't give the untalented much of a career. Beats working at MacDonalds though while you figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. I would be interrogating the other women to see if they had interesting careers I might want to pursue later on. Or maybe I think that way because I used to be a journalist.

21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Or one year older than a Millennial.  He's the same age as Beyonce, people don't usually call her old.

Maybe she doesn't have many friends ;)

Somebody else that thinks like me. I wouldn't hold it against somebody for posting selfies - it's a great way to get photos of yourself if you don't have friends...

18 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I felt bad for the lady who got eliminated whose father met Arie.  As I listened to her talk she seemed quite fun and genuine.  However what I first noticed about her was that she was a tv anchor whose listed age was 26 and she looked straight up late 40s.  Over the next 2 hours none of her segments led me to believe she was young and so I’m horrified at what hair and makeup and lifestyle can do to age a person that quickly.  I think the Sephora/ YouTube generation are going to be shocked when they actually do start to chronologically age.

put me in the club where Chelsea seems average in looks.  She has weird teeth.  She made a good entrance but the best she can hope for is a memorable exit.  Or at least the token villian.

The spray tan lady needs to watch this episode to see where she went wrong was her nasally baby voice vocal fry meeping “so I owwwwnnnn a spraaaaaaaaay taaaaannnnnn businessssssss.”

I would buy every advertised item from this show if for the rest of the season they all had to talk in a normal voice.  Every generation has a way of dealing with uncertainty as it shows in your voice.....the uptalking babytalking vocal fry has got to be the worst incarnation.

Well Jessica is Canadian, so I was going to say that the cold weather is making her look that way - but apparently she has been living in the sunny States for awhile. Was wondering if she really is older, and happened across this background on her. The writer was surprised that she actually has a substantial resume in entertainment reporting. After checking out her own website, I really think she was recruited by the producers. Think that lame sob story was their idea, although her father did actually pass away.

https://www.romper.com/p/what-show-does-jessica-from-the-bachelor-host-shes-a-social-media-influencer-7682638

http://www.jessicacarrolltv.com/about/

Edited by PreBabylonia
Forgot to comment on my quotes
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

she's ok looks wise but not what I would consider beautiful.

They are all varying shades of pretty but I wouldn't call any of them particular beautiful. That could be because they all kind of look the same lol, but there is no one who really stands head and shoulders above the rest. Usually I have one girl I think is stunning, regardless of if I like her or not. There just isn't a stand out to me yet, I think that's why I kling to Becka right now, because she is the only one who stands out in any way. I don't think she's any prettier than anyone else, but at least she looks different than the clones. 

• Love 2

Oh, but you would be surprised how much money you tubers and instagram “models” make.  They may not be the standard vision of “celebrities “, but many make half a million a year.  One kid makes about 15-20 MILLION dollars per year.  It is crazy.  You can even make money just eating food. 

I do find Bekah more attractive than the others.  She’s self confident , and she glows.  Sort of has an Audrey Hepburn thing going on.  And she has actual skin, not 20 layers of foundation, primer, highlighter, countour, etc etc.  I’ll probably hate her later, but she’s this seasons it girl.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Oh, but you would be surprised how much money you tubers and instagram “models” make.  They may not be the standard vision of “celebrities “, but many make half a million a year.  One kid makes about 15-20 MILLION dollars per year.  It is crazy.  You can even make money just eating food. 

I do find Bekah more attractive than the others.  She’s self confident , and she glows.  Sort of has an Audrey Hepburn thing going on.  And she has actual skin, not 20 layers of foundation, primer, highlighter, countour, etc etc.  I’ll probably hate her later, but she’s this seasons it girl.

OMG I was born about 40 years too late! No easy jobs like that when I was a kid.

Agree totally about Bekah. I did see one still of her and she resembled Erin Moran in her youth. Odd, because I never thought "Joanie" was goodlooking. I do think she does resemble a 50s pinup girl, which is kind of refreshing. Too bad all the women didn't get amazing hair and makeup makeovers (a la America's Next Top Model).  Tyra would never have let all of them out with such similar hair. White people all look the same....

Edited by PreBabylonia
Forgot to comment on my quotes. (Alzheimers prob.)
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

They are all varying shades of pretty but I wouldn't call any of them particular beautiful. That could be because they all kind of look the same lol, but there is no one who really stands head and shoulders above the rest. Usually I have one girl I think is stunning, regardless of if I like her or not. There just isn't a stand out to me yet, I think that's why I kling to Becka right now, because she is the only one who stands out in any way. I don't think she's any prettier than anyone else, but at least she looks different than the clones. 

This is true. I have to agree. Most people are varying shades of pretty. Not many would be considered beautiful as in stunning. Attractive, lovely, cute, sure. But I agree that so many of these women just seem to be clones of each other and it takes more to really stand out. Ultimately though it comes down to, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Although I admit I've questioned some of these leads choices. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PreBabylonia said:

Too bad all the women didn't get amazing hair and makeup makeovers (a la America's Next Top Model). 

Now that would be a great cross-over. Too bad the shows aren't on the same network.

25 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

This is true. I have to agree. Most people are varying shades of pretty. Not many would be considered beautiful as in stunning. Attractive, lovely, cute, sure. But I agree that so many of these women just seem to be clones of each other and it takes more to really stand out. Ultimately though it comes down to, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Although I admit I've questioned some of these leads choices. 

I think there have been some stunning women on this show over the years, but they have rarely been F1. This season the only one I'd describe as stunning is Seine. Jacqueline has beautiful, expressive eyes, reminiscent of 40s movie star Vivien Leigh. Other than those two and Bekah, nobody else stood out for me looks-wise.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think there have been some stunning women on this show over the years, but they have rarely been F1. This season the only one I'd describe as stunning is Seine. Jacqueline has beautiful, expressive eyes, reminiscent of 40s movie star Vivien Leigh. Other than those two and Bekah, nobody else stood out for me looks-wise.

You know as I was typing my last post I was thinking if any of the women had stood out to me besides Bekah and Jacqueline came to mind. I think she is lovely and yes she does remind anyone of Vivien Leigh. Plus I read her bio on the ABC website and she is very smart and accomplished as well. Which means she probably won't go far..lol.  I also thought Valerie the brunette in the yellow gown was very pretty too.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

As for Jef's quote, I really liked him on Emily's season but I think his tweet here is ridiculous. He didn't last with Emily either, so he is the last one to be delivering shade.

That really was ridiculous and immature, didn't make him look good at all.

10 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

Maybe she's an introvert with very few friends, and this was a good way to build up some confidence.

I've heard this sentiment before, but if someone needs to build up confidence, why would they subject themselves to rejection & humiliation on TV?

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4

Week 1

In an episode or three the show will start to bore me and I’ll probably be sick of everyone, but right now I’m happy that this show is back. 

The first episodes of this franchise are almost always my favorite episode. I love the crazy array of people, the limo exits, the earnest selling of the lead, the babbling of the new contestants, the predictable recycling of characters and storylines.

Some Random thoughts from the episodes beginning: 

Rewatching the breakup with Emily: I’ve seen a few comments mentioning this and they’re right: her teeth were weird. Do styles of veneers change that much in 5 years? I guess so.

Uugh, Sean Lowe is the worst….”they’re not taking the advice”….blech. Also, I suppose it’s just because she’s pregnant right now, but Catherine looks so tired and so over sitting around listening to her husband talk about The Bachelor.

Some Random thoughts during intro packages:

Maquel:  She’s been divorced less than a year from her high school sweetheart so what’s with all the ‘I hope that someday I’ll find love and get married’ stuff.  On a shallow note, I think she has a very pretty profile but is boring straight on. Maybe it’s the stringy, unflatteringly colored hair that’s failing her.

Chelsea: Thank God, someone brave enough to finally admit that being a single mother isn’t always easy or glamorous (eyeroll).  It’s already been said, but I find her resemblance to Olivia striking…but she’s not as pretty, stylish or driven as Olivia and so far she seems to lack Olivia’s weird goofy side, which can be endearing.  So basically a sucky (suckier?) version of Olivia.

Tia: Sounds like Raven, looks like Becca Tilly. Rumor is that the PTB wanted Raven for the next bachelorette. Now that they lost her to Adam, they are probably hoping to find her replacement in Tia.  All the other wanna-be-future-Bachelorettes on this season should probably consider her very serious competition for the job.  Right now I’m weirdly enjoying all the Weiner jokes (even the one out of the limo) but those should probably taper off from now on.

Nysha: Beautiful adrenaline junky who thrives under pressure and loves blood? So much better than another reality agent.

Kendall: Okay, she’s not boring and I like that she likes to do her research and the ukulele & seal sing-along was at least unique. She will probably end up being very charming or totally obnoxious upon further exposure. I can’t imagine there’s a lot of middle ground there.

Bekah: I don’t know. She’s very calculating and aware of the camera (any nanny career she has is not her real career-this one is an actress and she practices-which isn’t a bad thing). Love the hair, great smile. Might be annoyingly precious and probably stealth bitchy (which is possibly a good thing)

Krystal: I don’t know why exactly what it is, but I can’t stand her and the dislike was instant.  She’s got the breathy manner of speaking that Britt has and Britt’s touchy feely approach to things but without Britt’s charm or beauty. Of course, the story about her brother is a sad one and I hope that that situation improves  for her and her family.

Some Random thoughts during limo exits:

Caroline is beautiful (but I think she should try parting her hair differently) but I’m already sick of realtor references.  

Chelsea gets out of the limo all “yeah, you’re going to like what you’re seeing” but that lifeless, “lot to learn” line? No. I really doubt there’s that much to learn and a contestant having a kid is not anyone’s idea of major revelation.

Kendall: It’s never good to be so nervous that you make nervousness your defining characteristic.

Sienne: Gorgeous and I thought the elephant cuff links were fun

Tia: Another one that needs a new hair part. I know that a lot of people didn’t like her little weiner joke, but I did. It was lightly naughty but was directly tied to her and  her home town. I do hope the little toy was one of those tourist souvenirs with Weiner, AR written on it.

Bibiana: So cute except for her total lack of neck

Brittane: The bumper sticker was cute idea that didn’t quite work

Jacqueline: So striking 

Krystal: No one is comfortable having a stranger ask them close their eyes and the gratitude prayer was overkill but she looked much better here (has her botox softened since the intro package was filmed?)

Valerie: Like that she’s just listed as a server and the dress was a good color. Pretty face, but that hair…

Bekah: Still very attractive and the dress was a great choice but I didn’t really love the car thing. Is there any chance the car is actually hers? Like she’s really into vintage cars in her real life? Or was it just a gimmick so that she had an excuse to mention that she doesn’t mind that Arie is old? But she did deliver the line with charm. Also she seems very very young.

Jessica: Gratitude rock? Is that a thing? Did she just pick it up off the ground on the way to the limo?

Marikh: Gorgeous but sigh with the salt and pepper comment. I’m already over the comments about Arie’s age.

Becca: Really beautiful with a bad hand tattoo and great dress. Liked the up do and thought the proposal thing was cute-ish.

Lauren, Lauren, Lauren and Lauren: When you’re not in the first limo, you’re not in the second limo…in fact, you’re in the “Lauren Limo” you probably spend the ride to the mansion coming to the realization that no one in production thinks that you stand a chance.

Brittany T: She’s got it. She’s flaunting it.

Ali: Who in production hated her enough to convince her ask a strange man to stick his nose in her pits?

Some Random thoughts during the cocktail party and rose ceremony:

Mask girl? Knock it off with the mask and talking about the mask and all things mask

Chelsea: She’s so mysterious that I bet no one will see it coming when she announces that she’s not there to make friends

Arie is very good at listening and engaging (and seeming interested in) these women during their conversations.

I actually really liked the mini car race

Bekah is perhaps ‘too adorable’ with all the chin tilts and batting eyes  and coy smiles  and is probably bitchy but for now I think I like her. Arie obviously does too.

Contestants literally discussing the fact that there’s just one guy for all these women? Wow, way to grasp the tiniest details about the show.

Becca and Arie holding hands and lounging casually together? Relaxed and cozy. I thought she was a lock for the FIR after that scene.

Chelsea’s veneer of cold confidence is already cracking even with the FIR. Amateur.

Wish Lauren J had stayed. It seemed that there was something interesting there.  Glad Jessica left. She was fine and well spoken, but I could not have taken listening to her mention her father and Aries' connection over and over. I’d mention that Amber seems to have bad skin and being seen in daylight is doing her no favors but it seems wrong to mock her while watching her cry throughout her walk of shame.

Previews look promising.

• Love 5

Just for the record, there were initially 13 long-haired blondes, 14 long-haired brunettes, plus Bibiana (medium length brunette) and Bekah M. (short length brunette).

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelor/cast

There were 4 blondes (Ali, Amber, Jessica, Lauren J.) and 4 brunettes (Bri, Brittane J., Nysha, and Olivia) eliminated in the first round.

Edited by la11
spelling
  • Love 4

I will probably end up hating her soon though. I'm very fickle. 

I am also very fickle, so odds are I'll end up loving her lol. I already love to hate her. I think she'll be a fun character.

Okay, so the only two I actually remember seeing on the show are Chelsea who I didn't like, reminds me of Olivia, and Krystal, who I didn't like, and that is a TERRIBLE picture of her! 

That really is a very unflattering photo of her. I don't find her that beautiful, but that picture doesn't do her justice. 

Well thanks for the stats, La and thanks to Ellekotonyok for giving us the grid o' blonds.  It all helps me get these women straight.  I think Chelsea looks a little like the incomparable Michelle Pfeiffer  in her photo so maybe Saber is right and she is all that after all.  I just couldn't see it before because she was talking.

All I know is early-cut  Bri was one of my three pics to win so I guess I'm not attuned to Arie's needs.

To make a true looks assessment we would really need to line them all up in swimsuits and make comparisons  the way the pageant judge's do.  There are things we just don't get to see on TV.  For instance, I think the way a woman walks has a lot to do with whether or not she's a real head turner.  Even with all that, we wouldn't get that all important smell-test.  We saw Shawn take and keep his early lead with Kaitlyn because she loved the way he smelled, and according to her haters, Olivia kind of lost her lead because of that -- or maybe it was the cankles, I don't know. 

• Love 3

I think Bekah is channeling Janine Turner, or to be more exact, Maggie from Northern Exposure.

03953bf3b374a88b71cba9e5400b3873.jpg

ce6158c47d996573b8e1cbceb4d28c70--janine

Maggie had that same outdoorsy, 'I just go to a barber/I don't care' unassuming but beautiful thing going on and she had a no-nonsense attitude.

I like that when Arie's answer to her question didn't make any sense, Bekah didn't giggle and nod like the usual bobbleheads. She questioned what he was talking about and Arie tried harder. Many more bachelorettes could learn from that. Instead, I think a bunch of the ladies next year will just copy her hairstyle because they're going to think that will make them stand out.

Also, a lot of theses women are try-hards. Bekah is at least going for the "I woke up like this" mystique.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, lids said:

I think a bunch of the ladies next year will just copy her hairstyle because they're going to think that will make them stand out.

I will laugh my ass off if next season instead of dozens of long wavy haired middle parts we get dozens of pixy cuts. I think it could happen if Bekah goes far. I fear that the generation that grew up in Bachelor Nation will emulate whoever gets far on the show and whatever gets them far. 

The funny thing is, I think they all try to stand out and end up all looking exactly the same. I remember one year a bunch of them all showed up the first night in the same color dress, I want to say it was red, it was something that I could imagine they all though "OMG, this is like totally going to like, make me like, really all memorable for the Bachelor and I's first meeting!" (it hurt to type that but I was trying for the authentic bachelorette language).

It's fun to laugh at these desperate fame whores. It's what keeps me coming back. Part of me would love to see a group of intelligent, mature, interesting women competing for a smart, sexy, successful man, but then I think, "who am I kidding, I want to see a bunch of desperate losers try to stay on a gameshow long enough to validate their existence through likes and followers."

• Love 11

I love your posts, PreBabylonia, they are very insightful and well-thought-out. I like that. Please keep posting! I've said here many times that I hate everyone looking the same, the long hair parted in the middle with massive extensions. That's one reason I liked Jackie from some season a while back, she HAD BANGS! Imagine how self-confident she was to be different. Which is why I like Bekah this year. I've always preferred people who beat a different drum. Personalities may change my opinion down the line, but first impressions count with me.

I thought about the comments here that Arie was staring at everyone's boobs when they got out of the limo. I have to defend him ... with everyone having implants and HUGE boobs trying to jump out of those push-up low-cut gowns, I was staring at the boobs too, and I'm a straight woman. Maybe that's why I can't recognize anyone's face. And it's another reason I like Bekah: "regular" boobs. How refreshing!

• Love 7

Oh yes.. she is definitely self-possessed and pleased with herself. A quick visit to her Instagram shows a plethora of selfie shots, posed shots, and tons of socality Barbie authenticity. Hardly a shot of her with anyone besides herself! 

Maybe she's an introvert with very few friends, and this was a good way to build up some confidence. What else are you going to do on Instagram anyway, other than taking great scenery shots and endless pics of your dog? (my choice)

More likely, they want to control the way they come across and selfies allow you to take 100 carefully angled shots in order to get a good one, you can't do that with candid shots with other people in them. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 12.39.16 PM.png

• Love 13
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I love your posts, PreBabylonia, they are very insightful and well-thought-out. I like that. Please keep posting! I've said here many times that I hate everyone looking the same, the long hair parted in the middle with massive extensions. That's one reason I liked Jackie from some season a while back, she HAD BANGS! Imagine how self-confident she was to be different. Which is why I like Bekah this year. I've always preferred people who beat a different drum. Personalities may change my opinion down the line, but first impressions count with me.

I thought about the comments here that Arie was staring at everyone's boobs when they got out of the limo. I have to defend him ... with everyone having implants and HUGE boobs trying to jump out of those push-up low-cut gowns, I was staring at the boobs too, and I'm a straight woman. Maybe that's why I can't recognize anyone's face. And it's another reason I like Bekah: "regular" boobs. How refreshing!

I remember initially thinking the same thing about Kelsey Poe, and then she revealed her true crazy narcissistic self. 

• Love 2

LOL Sweet-tea. I remember liking Kelsey Poe at the beginning too. Then she went and ruined it by being ... herself. ljenkins782, your Lucy example photos made me LOL. That's two laughs within minutes. Gotta love this thread!

• Love 3
On 1/2/2018 at 11:08 PM, jade.black said:

Anyway, none of these girls are the one for him because, uhh, I'm right here and age-appropriate at 29 and DAMMIT I'm just going to be jealous and bitter all season every time Arie stares thoughtfully into some woman's eyes and makes adorable comments and caresses their face during some ridiculously hot makeout session. Help, I've never had these kinds of feelings for a Bachelor before! What do I do?! Should I slide into his insta DMs for the inevitable broken engagement? How do you "slide into one's DMs"? This is all very new to me. 

I actually was going to provide screenshots and then I realized you were kidding.  LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

For you, Jade ;)

Haha what a comprehensive tutorial!! You're the best! I'm already following him so halfway there. We'll see if I buy the love story this season and if not I'll have to get your help drafting the perfect message to let him know we're meant to be.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

Didn’t mean to quote the post above.

ive decided I would date Bob over Arie.  Sure that’s stupid but it’s how I feel.  I sort of hate Bob, though.  The bitch is Bob is out of my league.  Damnit.

i re watched the girl get out of the race car.  I must say she was enviably graceful, and that hair toss was worthy of Farrah Fawcett. Other than that, she’s a blank to me.

however, I would date ovary over Ben flapjack.  Anyone would agree.

Its thursday and Im STILL mortified for "pitstop" girl. Oh good lord, imagine if she gets picked for BIP and thats how people know her. Ack!!

4 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I remember initially thinking the same thing about Kelsey Poe, and then she revealed her true crazy narcissistic self. 

she maybe one of the craziest contestants ever--reading her hubbys obit that she wrote mentioning her wonderfulness 5 zillion times...OMg. Didnt she move to france out of sheer mortification??

Yuk. (sad thing is, Im sorry she lost her hubby, but she made it all about her)

Edited by nlkm9
mispell
  • Love 2
On 1/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, Rainsong said:

Which reminds me…if there’s a first impression rose shouldn’t The Bachelor have the option to send someone home at the entrance? The look on the reject’s face would be priceless – even if they were wearing a mask.

I'm loving this idea.  Have a big lever like with the big red chair on the Graham Norton Show, where TB takes one look and says, "I just can't."

On 1/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, Mu Shu said:

Yes, it's the skin!  The center-part contingent always seem to have funky skin, kind of greasy and cakey at the same time, with their hair dragging down their faces.  It's amazing how much fresher Bekah looks than them. 

On 1/4/2018 at 3:22 AM, ByTor said:

I've heard this sentiment before, but if someone needs to build up confidence, why would they subject themselves to rejection & humiliation on TV?

Maybe it's from the same school of thought that getting a makeover will make you feel better about yourself.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:28 AM, nicgwatchingtv said:

Also, I suppose it’s just because she’s pregnant right now, but Catherine looks so tired and so over sitting around listening to her husband talk about The Bachelor.

Does that explain the outfit?  I think it was a long dirndl skirt and tennis shoes, or maybe that was The Road to Arie, but she looked like Michelle Duggar.

• Love 2

Sorry, but, if Krystal´s parents are as fake and annoying as she is then I can imagine why her brother wanted to go "missing".

Chelsea is cold, mean and aggressive, if she´s like this on the first night it will just get worse.

Bekah looked really good in a cartoonish way but in her intro video she had the worst skin I have ever seen on tv.

Nisha (?) has the worst body of all time (for a bachelor contestant).

I hope it´s a good sign that there isn´t a lot of "the most shocking bachelor season of all time" being exclaimed. There must be some interesting and nice women in this huge bunch.

• Love 1
On 1/2/2018 at 4:26 PM, JenE4 said:

Re Krystal’s music, see my post page 1. I initially thought it was “fairy tale love music” but then very quickly realized it turned to “zen meditation music” and she was talking about a heart connection or something, so they were just trying to underscore her new agey-ness.

I remembered this post, so I rewatched the scene.  Now I see what you're talking about, I think it was more new-agey than swelling fairy tale.  In my defense I did say I'm lousy at making predictions on this show! :)

Well after wavering all week about watching, I finally tuned in. Yea Arie is still revolting and I’m truly at a loss that everyone thinks he so hot. He’s so pasty. Yuk. He turned out to be such a dull bachelor too. Some of the girls could be interesting but I’m not sure I can control my Arie gagging enough to watch. 

The tanning salon owner that thought that the right flirty way to get to Arie's heart was to proclaim, "I've seen a lot of dicks in my line of business and am hoping you're not one." Wooooow. I knew that second, and after seeing Arie's face that she was dunzo. And then sobbing at the end, wondering where it all went wrong. Gee, I don't know.....

And then there was the "sniff my pits" chick. Um...........um.......that's all I got. Most bizarre intro on earth. Another one who really knows how to snag a man!

The one who's father had met Arie before he died....she was bizarre too. Gratitude rock?? Come again? She did look a lot older than her age. However, me and my friend were recently talking about how old girls in their 20's look now. Too much makeup/contour and hair extensions. Something.  

Chelsea is pretty but not gorgeous to me and was so full of herself. Krystal and the perma-smile and breathy voice-just no. Honestly, I think they could have found a ton of better women for Arie to choose from. Slim pickins. Some of the prettiest were batshit crazy. The foot massager and the taxidermist. Bekah is beautiful and a bit bitchy. Arie seems great but I'm just not excited about the women he is picking from, too bad.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2018 at 0:10 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Does that explain the outfit?  I think it was a long dirndl skirt and tennis shoes, or maybe that was The Road to Arie, but she looked like Michelle Duggar.

Nothing except a lost bet can explain that outfit

• Love 3
On 1/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, ChipsandDips said:

Am I the only one to notice 2 of the girls wearing the same silver gown???

Apparently so. But I’m not the best judge to notice stuff like that. You know that series of insurance commercials in which a person is talking to him/herself on the phone in a different outfit and slightly differently styled hair? Well, it took about a dozen iterations of it with me REALLY looking closely at these characters for the entire commercial before I finally came to the conclusion that it MUST be the same actor for me to think they look similar enough to question it EVERY time. This is why I don’t even know what insurance company it’s for because I’m analyzing chins and noses, etc, and still can’t figure it out. So, you tell me two women had the same dress, i’ll need to take your word on it. I can remember names ONLY if they have the chevron on screen so I see it in writing and/or If I see others writing about the women here, I put a name to an event—not a face. So I can confidently talk about [name] [doing or saying something], but ask me to then pick that person out of a lineup?! Let’s just say no one wants me as an eyewitness, or the wrong person might be going to prison! I won’t recognize faces until top 5-6 at best; and if any of them look similar (which is pretty common for me, actually), I won’t be able to tell them apart without reading their names or looking for context clues. Beckah is the one exception this season because she looks drastically different with that pixie cut. So, yay, in 20+seasons I can finally recognize someone by sight on night 1!

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Well, it took about a dozen iterations of it with me REALLY looking closely at these characters for the entire commercial before I finally came to the conclusion that it MUST be the same actor for me to think they look similar enough to question it EVERY time.

i think it's Discover Card. And I am not *entirely* sure it's the same person, especially for the Asian gal "I got my money". But my family tells me that I am terrible at telling people apart on TV.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

i think it's Discover Card. And I am not *entirely* sure it's the same person, especially for the Asian gal "I got my money". But my family tells me that I am terrible at telling people apart on TV.

Lol! It was the Asian girl who made me finally realize it was the same person! She jiggles her boobs when she says, “I got my money! Woooo!” So then I looked at the boobs on the “other” one, and it’s the same large chest, which—please forgive, me this is racist—Asian women *typically* aren’t that well endowed, at least naturally anyway. I can’t tell by faces, but those boobs were the clue that cracked the case! Lol!!!

• Love 1

I am struggling with this one because:

1. They premiered it on a holiday, which made it too easy to ignore.
  2. Arie was "in love" with Emily, so I already question his judgment.
  3. Krystal made me recoil. I don't know how anyone could take her seriously. If my friends and I met her, I feel like we'd all be looking at each other and wondering, "Is she for real with this shit?"
  4. Arie is just slightly older than I am, but almost all of these women would make me think, "Too young...not interested."
  5. Not enough differentiation among the women. The show plays the "So many Lauren's!" thing for comedy, but it really does hurt the show to have many people blend together. The key reason I care about Bekah M. is because she is unique.
  6. The font change on the chyrons was an awful choice. That was one of the few things on this show that wasn't broken!
  7. Pushing a villain again. Please, no more Olivia's. I just can't get through another season of that.

And about my two favourite cast-offs:

1. I was shocked Arie dumped the dead dad TV presenter, Jessica. I liked her, but then I realized how desperate she was to keep any sort of connection to her dad. I hope she finds a way to move forward.
  2. Louisiana Lauren in the white dress with green earrings was gorgeous! She was also 33, though, so I guess Arie thought she was about 5-10 years too old. I actually think she was the best looking.
On 1/1/2018 at 9:21 PM, crgirl412 said:

I don't like that TPTB are giving the Mom so many TH and she is not very nice.  She is a mature looking 29.  *cough*  The 29 year-old in the long white dress is a far less mature looking 29.     

Chelsea looks a good 35 to me.  She's got great bone structure, but her skin doesn't look that great to me.  And she's obnoxious.  Of course, I'm predisposed to not liking single moms who go on a show like this.  To leave your kid for an extended period of time to chase fame is bad enough.  To tongue some guy you've never met within seconds of meeting him, and then act like a nut when someone else asks for time with him?  Just the concept of competing with 29 women is ridiculous if you are a parent.  It's bad enough being a single childless young kid.

• Love 4
On 1/3/2018 at 8:27 AM, thejuicer said:

Agreed.  I actually love the short hair on Bekka (I think that is her name?).  She looks unique and absolutely adorable.  

On 1/6/2018 at 2:00 AM, Aim123 said:

Beckah: Emma Samms

YES!  Good call on that one.  I think she is a knockout and looks very much like Emma Samms which is a great beauty to resemble!

• Love 1