Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Prisoner

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

We knew (from history) that the Northmen  slaughtered the Northumbrians (and many others!).  Their comeuppance is a bit later.

It appears that Lagertha 's rule will soon end. As they say, "long live the King".

Floki and his "disciples" will settle Iceland--they can have it! 

Bishop Heahmund becomes "Athelstan II"--but I doubt he finds a couple as welcoming as Ragnar and Lagertha!

Bjorn continues his "Perils of Pauline" saga. This escape must be epic. I am intrigued by that women (forget her name) from the empire.

I will be watching next week, unlike some posters from episode 4.

• Love 1

The brothers' disagreements escalated very quickly.  I didn't expect them to split so early in the season.

Hvitserk is such a two-timing snake.  I can't believe he brought up the idea of killing Ubbe.  I hate that Ivar agreed with him and wants to team up with the wanna-be king of Norway.
I felt so bad for Ubbe when he mentioned the upcoming fight to Floki.  Hopefully Bjorn returns soon and defends Kattagat.

The new experiences that Bjorn and Halfdan faced were interesting, although I hated the cannibalism part.  I still don't quite understand their situation, though.

What do you guys think, did Halfdan enjoy the woman or not?

Edited by peridot

Maybe I am a dumb dumb, but I was also confused about the Bjorn and Halfdan situation.  Was Cassia (sp?) ordering their deaths, because she considered them guilty by association with her captor/the man they ate.  Gag by the way!

• Love 1

Floki was doing a serious Jim Jones imitation...I felt as if the spiked Koolaid would be served soon. They all looked less like adventurers, more like cultists. 

Bjorn and his travels remain interesting, but he does lack Ragnar's depth. When they were in France, and the traveler was translating, you could see Ragnar thinking and considering some forward plan...Bjorn simply looks so dependent on the translator. You never knew what Ragnar might do next...some epic move. hard to believe that he would not have tried to speak with Kassia.

And Ivar, in his hoodie, does do a mean gangster...but I am back on Hotmud's side. I am done with bloodthirsty psychos...who have no future, just an endless, bloody present. 

• Love 1

Wow!  One of the best episodes ever imo.  So much going on, it is hard to even formulate a good post on the whole episode.  I will have to watch it again to write a well thought out response, and not just a knee jerk reaction.

I like how each story within the story is playing out.  I didn't trust the "nun" from the get go; but I like her influence and wonder at her motivations.  Fighting over shoulder or tongue stew was gross that is for sure.

I will put more thought into everything on the morrow...can't wait for the next show!

Tongue stew, gross!  Halfdan's face when he found the "surprise" under the blankets, LMAO!  Craaayseee Bishop; "Heathen"!!!!! - Ivar; "christian"...Priceless!

bdf9d16208b03b1980ffef8f233df11f.jpg

Edited by Son of the Norse

Great episode, with all the storylines being intriguing.

Really great opening battle, the best one this season.  Heahmund traveling with Ivar should be intriguing.  I don't see him being so sympathetic to the Vikings like Athelstan was.

Looks like Lagertha will lose even more people in Kattegat when it comes to Floki.  Not exactly good.  I agree that Floki is getting very cult leader-like.

Really loved the scenery during the Bjorn sojourn into the desert.  I believe they shot those scenes in Morocco. 

• Love 4

I'm really loving the Bjorn-Halfdan roadtrip into the desert.  From their plainly not loving the long ride on the camels to Halfdan's sheepish "She was not a she."  "So was that a problem for you?" to the "We really aren't very good bodyguards, are we?"  "No, we are not." after they were tricked into eating the leader who brought them there, I'm enjoying Bjorn and his story more than I probably have in years.  I'm still not clear what larger point Bjorn is hoping to accomplish here other than the adventure of again traveling farther and seeing more only to once again to be waved off with yes yes, we've met Rus Vikings.  You're not the first ones here, just like I'm still not sure what game Kassia is playing setting up successive rounds of people to be killed, but I'm in for the ride.

It's good storytelling when I can really feel for Aethelwulf brokenly telling Judith afterward that he had hoped God would finally be on his side for once in his bungling the battle of York so badly and still enjoy the spectacle of the Vikings crawling out of the sewers to attack his forces.  Poor Aethelwulf never got to win and take credit for it when Ecbert was alive and he's not doing much better now.  Ivar was again mesmerizing in first making a great show of giving Heahmund another chance to live and fight on in giving him his horse and later in creeping up on him to force him to see that they're both men resolute in their beliefs.  I can't imagine Ivar taking Heahmund home as a new pet is going to work out nearly as well or remotely the same as it did for Ragnar and Athelstan,  but I'm curious to see where they go with it. 

So is that it for York?  They put all that work in conquering it and tricking the Saxons into trying to take it back and now they're just abandoning it to go get into yet another tiresome battle for Kattegat?   I sometimes just want to yell at all of these people that the world isn't that crowded yet and they can easily go pick some other little shithole town to take and build up instead of fighting and fighting and fighting for the same spot over and over again.

I seriously can't believe there are that many people who would be interested in following Floki anywhere even if he is currently doing his best guyliner free impression of Jim Jones.

• Love 2

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm enjoying this season so much that I haven't even thought about Ragnar/Rollo/Athelstan/Ecbert and the rest of the "old" crew. 

Halfdan would never admit it, but I don't think he minded at all. ; )

I did like the contrast between those three men begging not to be beheaded, and the three Vikings just kneeling and waiting for it to happen.  Viking strong.

Poor Aethelwulf.  I really need him to have a win before it's all over for him.

It was smart writing by Hirst to make Heahmund a prisoner of the Vikings.  I haven't taken to him at all and this will probably give him some much needed shades of character.

lagertha is becoming a big bitch. why is she being a dick to floki, like they've been god friends since before the series started (if that makes sense)? 

Ivar isn't a sociopath to me. he does what most norsemen do to their enemies and he clearly loves his brothers, family, and people. He is the ragnarsson version of king harald in that way.

The eunech thing was a bit silly. I have a feeling that Guthrum will be the one who eventually challenges Alfred. I

I hope Aethelwulf doesn't die soon, he's a better king overall than his dad ever was. His dad has smarts, but was a physical coward. 

• Love 1

I am still really enjoying the Bjorn and Halfdan road trip, even as things continue to get weird and go wrong. Theyre a fun duo, more than I expected. I especially enjoyed the "she was a he" "did you mind" "meh" discussion. I cant imagine Bjorn would judge, and Halfdan seemed like he didnt consider that to be so bad. Bjorn isnt as strategec as his dad, but he does share his fathers love of exploring and interest in other cultures. Plus, he is very calm and collected under pressure, like Ragnar. Those shots in the desert looked beautiful, so beautiful that I almost forgot that they ate a guy. Gross. 

Ivar and Heamund together should be interesting, and will hopefully give their characters more shades. I think it could be an interesting variation of the Athelstan/ Ragnar relationship, because they are extremely different characters. While Ragnar and Athlestan were open minded and intellectually curious, Ivar and Heamund are both violent, brutal, are convinced they have the moral high ground, and that all beliefs other than theirs are false. I cant imagine this ending well (the question isn't will they kill each other, its when), but I am totally along for the ride. I did kind of crack up at Ivar telling Halfdan that he has seen Odin before, because...yeah he totally did see Odin. For real. Point Ivar. 

Meanwhile, Floki starts a cult! Oh, this isn't going to end well at all. Floki has always been a cult leader, just he never had an actual cult before. Lagertha was probably right to tell him to cut this shit out. Normally, I would be fine with Floki and his flock going off to go on a spirit quest, but with all the crap heading there way, they need all hands on deck for now. 

Hvitserk is such a little weasel. Ivar is totally going to kill him one of these days, and then he`ll realize he backed the wrong brother. I laughed at how they kept specifying that they have to do it before Bjorn gets up. "Oh man, our big brother is gonna be pissed!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

SotN's Recap in 16 Acts:

Act 1 - Excited over nothing

King A and the craaysee Bishop are partying in the streets.  Love how King A is so freaking excited over the victory (that was the Bishops plan), and everyone around them rejoiced at the ringing of the bells; (the bells still work the bells still work, hurray, we've won)! LOL  Poor Bishop H. looking at the Rats again, but still comes across as dumbfounded as to why they would be above ground.  Meanwhile in the sewers, Hvitserk acts like he knew Ivar's plan would work all along.  Then came the BATTLE!  I thought it was very well done and showed how the english were not ready for a close up surprise attack gorilla style. Hvitserk stilled showed he is a wild man in battle, him vs King A. was going to be a good one until it was cut short.  I would probably give the edge to the king though with more experience fighting.  Then, holy Crap!  MC Hammer shows up and starts kicking ass left and right and goes for Alfred!  Alfred didn't do too bad, but he would of been Galagers Watermelon if his Mum's cuz didn't show up.  I liked Ivar watching Bishop from above and almost accessing his abilities. I loved how Ivar moved his "chess pieces" around, truly a mastermind.  BTW, did the bishop purposefully horse stomp the fallen lady?  That looked pretty cruel in my mind.  All of a sudden King A. leaves at Cuz's suggestion to protect his "son".  Just when Cuz start to kick ass and gets ready to battle Hvitserk, MC Hammer shows up for one last gasp and makes Hvitserk's day!  When the bishop finally was captured after the "give him my horse bull S&^%", he screams like a psychopath; HEATHEN!!!  I thought he lost his mind.  Loved how Ivar calmly says; "christian".

Act 2 - I was Bjorn in the Desert

Nice setting.  Surprised that Bjorn and Halfdan was not more effected by the heat.  We only get a glimpse, then poof!  On to the next act.

Act 3 - Tent hospital

Sawing off a wounded hand/arm?  What about a nice quick chop!?  Was King A's wifey a little too worried about the bishop?  Is King A losing his faith?  Stay tuned...

Act 4 - I can't believe they captured me

Bishop shaking on the floor shows he is really not used to being in this position.  The cross being just out of his reach was the icing on the cake.  The creeping and crawling Ivar would unnerve most men!

Act 5 - The Desert part II

What is Bjorn's motivation for travelling so far?  You could see "dead meats" reluctance of going to see the Emir. The power and control of everything seem 100% in the Nun's control.  Don't like that they bowed (a little) when they met the Emir.  Don't think Ragnar would have.  When the Emir said he "met the Rus" many times; he did not say he met them there.  He may have well been a traveler for their religions "pope", much like Ibn Fadlan, and traveled to the Kiev region many times.  Very believable that he could learn their language.  Kept seeing how the Nun in every scene was giving 'dead meat' the stink eye.

Act 6 - The return of the prophet

Floki's return to K was a welcome site to many, not because he was a prophet, but I think the village recognizes him as one of the "OGs" of the village.  We get a 1st glimpse of "Floki's next wife" I believe.  The fellow villagers were more excited hearing about the Gods, then they were about Floki's return.  Many, truly have faith.  Largertha was very defensive right off the bat, and truly worries more about her kingdom then the land of the Gods (or course she may mistrust Floki's findings).

Act 7 - Smoking the Ganga!

B & H smoking the pipe was very funny.  The scene with the harem "girls" has been talked about enough already that I don't need to point out all the humor in that 2 minute scene.  I was for sure LMAO!   We found out the nun is no nun, and more like a power seeker.

Act 8 - Back to the new prophet

You can tell Floki truly loves Iceland/Asgard.  Funny how when the one guys asks about "it has a good climate"?  It might of been perfect when Floki was there, but I think things will change when he heads back there with his band of believers.

Act 9 - Ivar talks with his bro

I liked that he listened to his bro; it shows a sign of growth in his leadership. Don't like that he is going back to K; historically he stayed in York for quite a while before he "disappeared".  The talk between Ivar and the bishop reminded me of the talks between Ragnar on that old King (what was his name)? LOL  I find (surprisingly), that I don't miss either at this time.  The bishop turns on his JW door speech on Ivar, but it has no effect.

Act 10 - Heads roll

B & H watching the heads get chopped off were like "Meh", which is appropriate.  Bad thing is, the new Emir guy seems to be controlled by the nun, just like Man Meat was.  She stares at the vikings as if to say; "Your next"!

Act 11 - Floki talks with his non-favorite son of Ragnar

I love the "Grief and Joy" line by Floki.  Could it be he means; "grief at the death of one of Ragnar's sons (Ubbe), but Joy for the Victor (Ivar)"?

Act 12 - Cooking in the Desert

Shoulder, Stomach, or Tongue?  Choices, choices.  It was like a desert version of "chopped"!  At the meal, I noticed the Emir and Nun had no trouble eating their dead foe.  The Emir says; "We are both free now". mmmmm, what could that mean?  When he said they just ate Man Meat, did you notice that Halfdan chuckled?  Later on, the traveler is smarter than he looks, they should get the F*&^ out of there!

Act 13 - Floki's secret meeting

Again we get to see the eye contact with Floki and his future next wife.  The 1st one he marked with blood...was that Torvi's son????  Finally he tells them to meet him in 9 days (the length of time that Odin hung to gain the knowledge of the runes).

Act 14 -  True believers or ....?

The 2 guys that look like they are true believers...I get a sense they are spies for their queen!

Act 15 - CraaySee bishop on a boat

Continue to LOVE the interaction between Ivar and the BIshop; more please!!!

Act 16 - Chopped part II ?

Bjorn is smart to grab the shiv by the well.  The storm will play a part; Bjorn will not die.  Of course "K", gives the order to kill.  She shows herself to be the one truly in charge in the sand box!

Can't wait until the next show!!!

Edited by Son of the Norse
grammer
  • Love 1
On 12/20/2017 at 10:31 PM, peridot said:

Hvitserk is such a two-timing snake.  I can't believe he brought up the idea of killing Ubbe. 

Hvitserk is coming more into focus as a character.  His main traits so far are being a berserker crazy guy in battle and going from loyalty to betraying his brother.  The brother who is most like Ragnar in his vision for his people, Ubbe.  Now who does that remind me of?  Why none other than Rollo who did both the same things.  And more than once.  Hvitserk is a rehashed Rollo 2.0.  I never really liked Rollo so Hvitserk is now on my cell phone's "do not call" list as well.

16 hours ago, benteen said:

Really loved the scenery during the Bjorn sojourn into the desert.  I believe they shot those scenes in Morocco. 

Yes indeed it was filmed in Morocco.

I take it that was Guthrum (Torvi's oldest son by Jarl Borg) as the teenager at Floki's super duper secret cult meeting.  Torvi will NOT be pleased.  And Floki all about me me me when Kattegat needs help the most.  Ragnar would not like that.

Meanwhile "Bjourn and Halfdan's Most Excellent Adventure" is starting to go a wee tad haywire.  Loved the lines about not being very good bodyguards.  Don't get the cannibalism stuff but yeah Kassia is a player.

Poor Aethelwolf can't catch a break.  And poor Judith asking anxiously after her Northumbrian cousin only to find he got killed right off the bat though he saved Alfred in the process.

Ivar and Bishop Hotmud.  Ivar has the hots for the Bishop it seems.  Two peas in a pod and equally boringly bigoted.  Will love it when they both go down.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Are TPTB pulling our legs in the historical context or is there any truth in it?

1. So they had shisha in the 9th century. What did they smoke? Before the discovery of New World, how did they get tobacco?
  2. Did TPTB insinuate that early Muslims (Ziyadat Allah reigned less than 200 years after the death of Prophet Muhammad) practiced cannibalism? If that is true, I have never read about that.
2 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Are TPTB pulling our legs in the historical context or is there any truth in it?

1. So they had shisha in the 9th century. What did they smoke? Before the discovery of New World, how did they get tobacco?
  2. Did TPTB insinuate that early Muslims (Ziyadat Allah reigned less than 200 years after the death of Prophet Muhammad) practiced cannibalism? If that is true, I have never read about that.

I assumed it was hashish.

• Love 2

I thought the episode was true to form.  No great surprises.  I don't like Floki and never have.  The best version of him and the nicest treatment of the character was just an episode and/or two ago in Iceland.  I so wish he'd died at that sulfur stream.  I totally accepted that and felt real disappointment when he revived.  It was a perfect swan song for a character that has resonated with so many viewers (just not this one.)  That also would have beautifully represented the decline of the Norse pantheism under the yoke of Christian demagoguery.

ANYway, otherwise a fairly pedestrian episode.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

At least Rollo was a hottie who was shirtless a lot. Hvitserk is just an asshole. 

Psycho boy Ivar just grates. His high-pitched voice annoys me the way Simcoe’s did on “Turn.”

Yes and yes.  I wish the boat would sink with both Ivar and Hvitserk.  I'm tempted to FF through the Ivar scenes, he annoys me that much.

So I guess we won't be seeing any more of Rollo? 

Bjorn and Halfdan make a great buddy pair.  At least their storyline has some humor... unless they both get beheaded in the next episode.

6 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Did TPTB insinuate that early Muslims (Ziyadat Allah reigned less than 200 years after the death of Prophet Muhammad) practiced cannibalism? If that is true, I have never read about that.

That took me right out of the story.  Sure, there could have been some insane leaders in the Muslim world too, but that is beyond belief that the emir would make his own people eat his enemies.  (Pagan guests, maybe, but not his own people.)

• Love 1

I think I don't mind Ivar because I get such a kick out of the actor.  I think he's just terrific.

Like Floki, though, he runs the risk of becoming a cliche.  (I think the only difference -- why I loathe one and like the other -- is because of the actor.  I'm not fond of Floki's performer.  Yes, I know his whole family is the Laurence Olivier of Sweden but ~I~ don't like him and I don't have to.  For one, I don't like the way he and the directors simply chose to imitate Gollum from the Ring films.  That's lazy and boring.)

I wanted to add to my earlier post this morning but work got in the way.  What I miss this season is the "amazing, game changing breakthroughs" that Ragnar posed as the hero of the beginning of the show.  He was willing to risk the gnomon and sundial to get to England (HUGE) and then brought Christianity back with him while embracing it (also HUGE.)  These were gamechangers in world history brought about and enthusiastically pursued by a captivating character.  We don't have that anymore and I find the show is struggling to juggle a real, committed ensemble cast.

Edited by Captanne
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

His high-pitched voice annoys me the way Simcoe’s did on “Turn.”

I've been thinking about that a lot.  It seems that a lot of the Scandinavians talk in  high-pitched whispers.  I know the sing-song voice is a characteristic of Norwegian speech.

2 hours ago, wlk68 said:

Extremely doubtful. The actor who plays Rollo (Clive Standen) is now the lead in another series called Taken.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052460/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3  

Clive Standen is still promoting Vikings though on his Twitter.  I think Rollo may be back later in the season in some limited way.  Rollo 

Spoiler

still has to grow old, get a bit senile, revert back to his Viking ways at the end, pass on Normandy to his oldest son William Longsword and die of old age.

By the way I think it's ridiculous that Lagertha who is after all the contemporary of Ragnar and Rollo is still looking so young and dewy.

I continue to surprisingly love the Adventures of Bjorn and Halfdan.  Never knew how much I wanted this pairing!  I obviously doubt they're going to get their heads cut off, but that's one way to end an episode!

Despite what the episode description said, Heahmund really still isn't that much of a threat to Ivar and is now his prisoner.  At least he did take out a few Vikings before his capture.  Poor Aethelwulf though.  Nothing seems to be working for him.  And I'm wondering if his breakdown will just make Judith, Alfred, and the rest think he's weak now.

So, Floki's just forming a cult now and planning on doing his own thing in Iceland.  I noticed that Kris Holden-Reid is playing one of his new acolytes which is surprising since I wasn't aware he was allowed to leave Canada!  Also 99% sure we got our first glimpse of Adam "Edge" Copeland as another one of them.  That should be fun!  Can't wait for him to unleash the Spear on some fool!

Really have a bad feeling Lagertha's time might be coming.  She seems to still not be aware how many want her dead.  And if Ivar does make that deal with Harald... oh, boy!

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Really have a bad feeling Lagertha's time might be coming.  She seems to still not be aware how many want her dead.  And if Ivar does make that deal with Harald... oh, boy!

Yes, I have a bad feeling about Lagertha.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, LittleIggy said:

I don’t get Kassia. Why would she want Bjorn and Halfdan killed? I’m not worried about them since Bjorn has Chekhov’s wooden peg in hand.

Because she's a woman in a time where traditionally she has no control or power and she found a way to have a little of both...plus maybe she was bored.

I think a better question is why Ivar isn't killing the Cardinal?  Bond Villain type mistake. 

Also who sails off with Floki?  The boy is Cray....he reminds me of the guy on the bus who carries a walkie talkie with a homemade police sticker.  He's harmless but I am not hoping he starts driving the bus.

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde
random thought
On 12/22/2017 at 2:26 PM, Babalooie said:

I've been thinking about that a lot.  It seems that a lot of the Scandinavians talk in  high-pitched whispers.  I know the sing-song voice is a characteristic of Norwegian speech.

I was watching a documentary about the 2008 K2 climbing disaster last night. Everytime a Norwegian spoke (in English), I thought of Vikings! 

3 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I think a better question is why Ivar isn't killing the Cardinal?  Bond Villain type mistake.

Bishop, not Cardinal. In any case, as bad a mistake as Lagertha letting Harald live.

• Love 2

Every time I see Torvi I think it's Helga.  (I know the actresses are sisters.)  I miss Helga and her kind, practical disposition.  She would have loved the new world Floki found.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, LittleIggy said:

I don’t get Kassia. Why would she want Bjorn and Halfdan killed?

I think part of it is that they are heathens and she was a nun.  Perhaps it was the Vikings/Rus who seized her and sold her as a slave.

10 hours ago, spinxella said:

Torvi confronts her son Guthrum about his wish to go with Floki to Iceland.

This scene was deleted in the American broadcast.

Thank you for posting this.  I wish they would include this with the US broadcasts.

Remind me, why doesn't the  US get these?

• Love 2

I don't think the Emir's wife/gf/whatever trusts Bjorn/Halfdan, and to be fair he was part of the "old order" of Euphemius. 

I suspect Guthrum may be the one who challenges Alfred, like just in real history. We don't know the origins of Guthrum though, just that he ws a Norse lord who was part of Great Heathen Army.

15 hours ago, Son of the Norse said:

Remind me, why doesn't the  US get these?

Probably because so much time has to be spent on commercials.  So much advertising here.   Also, although not the case in this scene, the UK has more nudity, which may be beyond the censoring guidelines in the US.