Type keyword(s) to search

The Walking Dead in the Media

• Start Topic

On 10/5/2018 at 6:29 AM, OoohMaggie said:

“It’s a group dynamic,” she says. “Norman sort of has Daryl’s attitude, like ‘I don’t wanna be called number one.’ In his own way, he leads. I think Danai [Gurira] is a wonderful leader as well. She has her own style of things. She very much looks out to make sure things are fair for people. Melissa [McBride] is a wonderful presence that anchors stuff when she’s there….

Yes, that's really the key point, isn't it?   Who knows which random two episodes that might be?  Same for any of the main characters.

19 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so posting here and in Small Talk - Scott Wilson has passed away:

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2018/10/07/the-walking-dead-scott-wilson-dead-age-hershel/

I just came here to post this, too. Such terrible news. For whatever reason, the comicbook article leaves out the role that people of my generation remember him for: Dick Hickock, stone cold killer from In Cold Blood. Damn.

• Love 7

Scott Wilson was a talented actor. I have seen him in many different roles for many years. He was an asset to TWD as Hershel. He was killed off too soon.

Rest in peace, Scott.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

Ratings for TWD S9 premiere were 2.49 demo and 6.076M viewers...
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/walking-dead-season-nine-ratings/

The Walking Dead's Season 9 Premiere Ratings Were Surprisingly Bad
BY NICK VENABLE  OCTOBER 10, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2459159/the-walking-deads-season-9-premiere-ratings-were-surprisingly-bad

Remember when The Walking Dead's Sunday night stats were capable of crushing everything in their blood-speckled path? Those days are long gone, and may never return. The extended, game-changing Season 9 premiere, the first under new showrunner Angela Kang, was watched by just 6.1 million viewers. That's the smallest premiere audience since Season 1 debuted.

Let's break down that number a little more to see just how unfortunate things are for The Walking Dead and AMC. The total of 6.1 million viewers is a 47% drop-off from the 11.44 million that watched Season 8's premiere. And that was already the least-watched opener since Season 3 kicked off. Looking back one more year, the Season 7 premiere that killed off Glenn and Abraham had an audience that was 2.8 times bigger than this latest debut.

In fact, Season 9's "A New Beginning" scored a smaller total viewership on Sunday night than any single episode in the poorly rated Season 8. What's more, it earned the lowest Live+Same Day viewership of any episode going all the way back to Season 2's fifth episode, which also had a 6.08 million-strong audience. (That episode was "Chupacabra, in which Glenn discovered the Greene family's walker barn.)

The comparisons get even worse when the numbers are pared down to just the key demographic ratings. The Walking Dead earned a 2.5 demo rating, with 3.2 million viewers hitting within the 18-49 age range. Those would be ridiculously good numbers for many other shows, but it's actually the lowest-rated Dead premiere ever. It's half of Season 8's 5.0 demo rating, and is even lower than the very first ep "Days Gone By," which landed a 2.7 rating.

When compared to the Season 8 finale, this latest premiere clearly did not carry over as much of the audience as many would have hoped. It was down 23% within the general viewership, and down 27% in the key demo.

To be fair, there are a couple of non-panicky reasons why The Walking Dead's numbers were so low. For one, it's that time of year when Sunday Night Football does everything it can to sap viewers from other primetime programming.

As well, AMC tried out a new tactic with The Walking Dead's Season 9 premiere by releasing it online early. Not for everyone, but just for those who subscribed to the standalone AMC Premiere streaming service over the weekend. According to Deadline, there was a huge surge in signups geared to the special promotion that may have led to the biggest day of new recruits yet. AMC has not released any specific data on that front, though, so it's unofficial for now.

Edited by tv echo

Wouldn't you think AMC would step in, at some point, and have a "talk" with the people ruining their moneymaker (in spite of what they tell Mr. Darabont)?  I mean, the ratings will probably never again be what they were in the show's heydey, but...  Upping the ratings beyond what we have now would be easy peasy:  Just kill off Negan and advertise the bejeezus out of it beforehand.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 9

Whether you take into account those who watched 24 hours earlier, who’s numbers they won’t release, it’s still looking pretty bad,

The Walking Dead's ratings slide has taken the AMC series to its lowest point so far.

Sunday's Episode 9x02 drew a 2.0 rating in the key 18-49 demographic with 4.9 million total viewers in Live+Same Day numbers, according to Variety. The previous series low was a 2.4 rating in its first season. The series low total viewers is 4.7 million, which also came during an episode from the first season. It is a 20% drop from week to week.

It’s such a shame!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

The Walking Dead's Ratings Just Hit A New Low
 BY LAURA HURLEY  OCTOBER 16, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2459575/the-walking-deads-ratings-just-hit-a-new-low

The Walking Dead was once a juggernaut of primetime TV, setting and breaking ratings records on a regular basis. In recent years, however, interest in the zombie apocalypse has clearly waned, and the ratings trend for The Walking Dead has been distinctly downward. Now, the second episode of Season 9 has seen the ratings hit a new low. The ratings for "The Bridge" took The Walking Dead to a series low.

"The Bridge" episode of The Walking Dead scored a disappointing 2.0 rating in the key 18-49 age demographic on October 14. While a 2.0 rating is actually something plenty of other Sunday shows would undoubtedly love, it marks the lowest rating in that all-important demographic in the history of the series. In fact, it drops well below the previous holder of the series low ranking. The fourth episode of Season 1, called "Vatos," had previously been the lowest-rated with a total of 2.4 in the key demo.

The series low comes a week after The Walking Dead's Season 9 premiere flirted with breaking its record for lowest demo ratings. The premiere only earned a 2.5 in the 18-49 demographic, which was a shock given that it was a super-sized episode touted as one of the last episodes starring Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes. 6.08 million people tuned in to the premiere, and that is a significantly larger number than the 5 million who tuned in for the second episode of the season, according to Deadline.
It's also worth noting that The Walking Dead aired at the same time as a high-stakes MLB playoff game between the Boston Red Sox and the Houston Astros on TBS, which scored a 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and won 5.6 million viewers. A baseball game really isn't something that can be fully enjoyed with delayed viewing, so it's possible that some Walking Dead fans prioritized baseball over the zombie apocalypse on October 14.

Edited by tv echo

Recently orphaned Judith and Gracie, run through the flowers to meet up with Uncle Daryl and Auntie Carol, they’re off to see Councillor Negan to try and stop the foreclosure of their farm, Alexandria. They’ve enlisted the help of Father Gabriel and Doc Siddiq!

• Love 3
On 10/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Recently orphaned Judith and Gracie, run through the flowers to meet up with Uncle Daryl and Auntie Carol, they’re off to see Councillor Negan to try and stop the foreclosure of their farm, Alexandria. They’ve enlisted the help of Father Gabriel and Doc Siddiq!

LOL......................................., Good storyline, a beginning, a middle, and and end that all make sense. 

• Love 1

If you're wanting to start out your Monday feeling verklempt, here's the way to do it.  I love that he got this kind of sendoff from his former castmates.

Hershel Quote from ‘The Walking Dead’ Featured in Scott Wilson’s Memorial Program

An event program from the memorial held for late The Walking Dead star Scott Wilson at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills Saturday highlighted an iconic quote from his fan-favorite character Hershel Greene, according to Variety.

“You step outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. And nowadays you breathe, you risk your life. Every moment now you don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for.”

and 

Wilson’s memorial was attended by former cast mates Danai Gurira, Norman Reedus, and Sarah Wayne Callies, and producer-director Greg Nicotero and director Ernest Dickerson.

Gurira remembered Wilson for embracing her as part of the cast when she joined the zombie drama in Season Three.  “Scott made me feel like part of the family as soon as I met him,” the Michonne actress said. “He also taught me to how to smoke a cigar.”

Daryl Dixon star Reedus recounted how Wilson once asked if he knew the first actor to “flip the bird” in a movie. “I said, ‘Robert Mitchhum?’ and he said, ‘No, Norman, it was me.’”

• Love 3
8 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

If you're wanting to start out your Monday feeling verklempt, here's the way to do it.  I love that he got this kind of sendoff from his former castmates.

Hershel Quote from ‘The Walking Dead’ Featured in Scott Wilson’s Memorial Program

Daryl Dixon star Reedus recounted how Wilson once asked if he knew the first actor to “flip the bird” in a movie. “I said, ‘Robert Mitchhum?’ and he said, ‘No, Norman, it was me.’”

According to Variety it was Andrew Lincoln who recounted that story, not Norman Reedus.  

And Wilson wasn’t serious; he was pranking Lincoln, to see if Lincoln would spread Wilson’s tall tale.

Not sure which makes the better story.  :>

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Andy Lincoln has entered the top 10 highest paid Tv actors, he picked up $11 million in his last year, I do hope he’ll manage ok 

I do hope Andy had an established residence in America (and, more importantly, outside the United Kingdom) for more than half the tax year, else Inland Revenue will take about half that right off the top.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I do hope Andy had an established residence in America (and, more importantly, outside the United Kingdom) for more than half the tax year, else Inland Revenue will take about half that right off the top.

Damn, is there nowhere I can go to avoid those two dreaded words? ?

• Love 2

For those keeping track...

Air date                   Episode    18-49 demo    % demo change    Viewers (mil)    % mil change
Sun    10/7/2018       09-01         2.49                 -50.50%†                  6.076                  -46.88%†
Sun    10/14/2018     09-02         1.98                 -20.48%                   4.947                   -18.58%
Sun    10/21/2018     09-03         1.93                 -2.53%                     5.037                      1.82%

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Walking Dead' Ratings Have Fallen Faster and Harder Than Those of Other Long-Running Hits
OCTOBER 24, 2018 7:00am PT by Rick Porter
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-ratings-have-plummeted-past-2-seasons-1154521

The seventh-season premiere of AMC's The Walking Dead had the show's second-biggest audience ever. The resolution of a cliff-hanger from the season six finale, delivered via Negan's (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) barbed-wire bat, drew a massive 8.4 same-day rating among adults 18-49 and a little over 17 million viewers; a week of delayed viewing brought the totals up to 10.7 and 21.5 million viewers.

It's been all downhill from there — and down an unusually steep hill at that.

From season seven to now, average same-day ratings for The Walking Dead have declined by a precipitous 60 percent in adults 18-49 (5.4 average for season seven, 2.1 thus far in season nine) and 53 percent in viewers (11.35 million to 5.35 million). The show has recorded its two smallest same-day audiences ever in the past two weeks.

Delayed-viewing figures have moved in proportion to the linear ratings drops: At a 4.0 in adults 18-49 and 9.36 million viewers in live plus seven-day ratings, the Oct. 7 premiere of season nine is 63 percent lower than the season seven debut in the demo and down 54 percent in viewers.
Multiplatform viewing makes up for some of those losses, to be sure, but not all 6 million people who Nielsen says have left the show are suddenly watching via AMC Premiere or the network's ad-supported digital player.

Just about every show's audience declines as it ages. What's notable about The Walking Dead's declines is that they're steeper than those of a number of other long-running hit series at the same stage of their runs.

The Hollywood Reporter compared the season seven to season nine declines for dramas Grey's Anatomy, NCIS and Law & Order: SVU, comedies The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family, and singing competition American Idol with those of The Walking Dead. All of them had much smaller ratings drops.
All that said, The Walking Dead had farther to fall than most of those other shows — its seventh season outrated all but season seven of Idol in adults 18-49. It's still the top-rated series currently on cable, and it's not even close. In a given week, less than 1 percent of the thousands of cable shows that air in primetime reach even a 1.0 among adults 18-49 after a week of viewing.
The Walking Dead has yet to be renewed for a 10th season, but both the flagship show and the larger franchise are likely to remain cornerstones at AMC for some time as the cable network plots an expanded universe under former showrunner turned chief creative officer Scott M. Gimple. They just won't be striking fear into rival programmers the way they once did.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

He deserves that and more as he, in my view, has held that show together and has consistently been the draw for me as a viewer.  Especially after they killed Carl

When you consider the sums paid to those in ‘ The Big Bang Theory’, he seems positively short changed.

• Love 3

This topic is marked NO SPOILERS.  That means no talk of cast comings and goings.  Posts are being removed and are not being relocated to other topics, so if you want to take the time to post about cast movements and not have your post removed, post it in the Spoilers and Speculation topic.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peach said:

That actually kind of makes sense. It would have made sense to see Carl if he died and was literally seeing Carl while passing into the afterlife.  But he passed into a helicopter.

Whoops - Rant spoilered for episode info (if you’ve seen it, no spoilers):

Spoiler

As we went through Rick’s multiple dream sequences, one theme emerged: Rick was searching for Lori and Carl, but he couldn’t find them.  

Sasha told Rick, “Your family - you’re not going to find them because they’re not lost.”  

And Rick’s very last words before he shot the dynamite were, “I found ‘em.”

————

All of which leads to the main part of this episode which has flames positively leaping off my face.  These writers - who for over the last 2 or 3 seasons have subjected us to increasingly less capable, less believable, more STUPID story lines - somehow these blind hogs stumbled across an magic acorn in the form of a major character’s final send-off.  It was beautiful, it was tragic, it was touching, and by god it was HEROIC.  And it was executed perfectly.

And then they had to go and FUCK IT ALL UP with a brain-hurting avalanche of inconsistently unbelievable BULLSHIT “and he STILL survived!” circumstances.  

THAT was NOT worthy of TWD’s Rick Grimes.  Hudson Hawk’s Tommy, maybe.

Writers, pardon me while I take a massive country shit on all y’alls souls.

Edited by Nashville
Spoilsport!
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Whoops - Rant spoilered for episode info (if you’ve seen it, no spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

As we went through Rick’s multiple dream sequences, one theme emerged: Rick was searching for Lori and Carl, but he couldn’t find them.  

Sasha told Rick, “Your family - you’re not going to find them because they’re not lost.”  

And Rick’s very last words before he shot the dynamite were, “I found ‘em.”

————

All of which leads to the main part of this episode which has flames positively leaping off my face.  These writers - who for over the last 2 or 3 seasons have subjected us to increasingly less capable, less believable, more STUPID story lines - somehow these blind hogs stumbled across an magic acorn in the form of a major character’s final send-off.  It was beautiful, it was tragic, it was touching, and by god it was HEROIC.  And it was executed perfectly.

And then they had to go and FUCK IT ALL UP with a brain-hurting avalanche of inconsistently unbelievable BULLSHIT “and he STILL survived!” circumstances.  

THAT was NOT worthy of TWD’s Rick Grimes.  Hudson Hawk’s Tommy, maybe.

Writers, pardon me while I take a massive country shit on all y’alls souls.

Oh, no doubt.  I agree with that totally, and made similar rant.  lol. 

• Love 3

TV Ratings: Andrew Lincoln's 'Walking Dead' Exit Gets Modest Bump
NOVEMBER 06, 2018 6:30am PT by Rick Porter
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/andrew-lincolns-walking-dead-exit-gets-modest-ratings-bump-1158456

Andrew Lincoln's departure from The Walking Dead brought ratings gains to the show — just not very big ones.

The last episode for Lincoln and his character, Rick Grimes, on the AMC series improved modestly compared with the previous week. After hitting series lows earlier in the season, however, any gain is welcome.

The Nov. 4 episode, "What Comes After," delivered a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 and 5.41 million viewers, up 6 percent in both measures over the prior week's 2.0 and 5.1 million. About half the show's total audience fell in the 18-49 demo. The episode also grew by 7 percent among adults 25-54 to 3.1 million or a 2.6 rating.

On all counts, they were the best ratings since the Oct. 7 season premiere but still at the low end of The Walking Dead's nine-season history. 

After-show Talking Dead had much larger week-to-week gains as Lincoln, co-star Melissa McBride and Walking Dead creative chief Scott Gimple gathered to discuss Rick's departure and the plan to have Lincoln star in three feature-length TWD-related films for AMC. 

Talking Dead drew a 1.0 in the 18-49 demographic — up 66 percent over 0.6 a week earlier — and 2.7 million viewers, a 48 percent improvement on the previous 1.82 million. Its 1.3 among adults 25-54 was a 58 percent improvement.

Season 9 episode ratings so far:

Air date                  Episode    18-49 demo    % demo change    Viewers (mil)    % mil change
Sun    10/7/2018      09-01        2.49                 -50.50%†                    6.076               -46.88%†
Sun    10/14/2018    09-02        1.98                 -20.48%                     4.947               -18.58%
Sun    10/21/2018    09-03        1.93                 -2.53%                       5.037                  1.82%
Sun    10/28/2018    09-04        1.95                   1.04%                       5.095                  1.15%
Sun    11/4/2018      09-05        2.07                   6.15%                       5.414                  6.26%

Edited by tv echo

The ratings bump is probably some people only tuning in because they heard about 'Rick's final episode'. I've seen some people state this online, some who haven't watched since as far back as S6, only tuned in because of it.

• Love 2