Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: You're a Champion? Prove it!

Geenee
  • Start Topic

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 0:53 PM, Netfoot said:

Do they also ban horseback riding, and other similar disgusting, unsanitary practices?  

(If they come for my dog, they had better bring heavy artillery!)

Pit Bulls and other mastiff type breeds are being banned in many a city....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Pit Bulls and other mastiff type breeds are being banned in many a city....

Toronto reversed its banned after being shown decisively it's not the breed, it's the owner.

• Love 2

Wow, so apparently Iceland has its own language, Icelandic. I was wondering how to place all the accents - it appeared that most people spoke English, but with some kind of an accent. From Wikepedia:

Icelandic, a North Germanic language, is descended from Old West Norse and is closely related to Faroese and West Norwegian dialects.

• Love 1

'm sure that they're nice, but the first time we had a leg in Iceland, we lost two nice guys in Avi & Joe.

Singing, "New York Jews in Icelaaaand."     (I have wished for a season of first eliminated teams.....maybe some day.)

I am excited the race is back...maybe they can have some competitive goat eating later on?  I dig the violinists and the Indy car drivers--although it's really too soon to tell.  

Yay Phil!  

ETA:  Line that made me laugh out loud (I don't know who said it:):  "He didn't die!  That's HUGE!" 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wow, so apparently Iceland has its own language, Icelandic. I was wondering how to place all the accents - it appeared that most people spoke English, but with some kind of an accent. From Wikepedia:

It's a similar situation in Scandinavia.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Cody and Jessica addressed what was in the bags in a video they did about the first episode. There were winter clothes, boots, jackets and hats. They had to carry the bags during the leg.

Both the Ring Girls in their exit interviews and one of the Yoginis on S27 Green Justin's podcast already confirmed that.

A pity that #TeamBB squandered their lead twice in the same leg, but since the Ski Ladies benefited, kudos anyhow ~

On 1/3/2018 at 7:14 PM, AZChristian said:

We live about 10 miles from the goat yoga place. Looked at the pictures on their website. My artificial knee voted no.

Interesting.  I'm about 12 miles.  

On 1/4/2018 at 8:17 AM, Jobiska said:

I'm sure it was tongue in cheek, but I was coaching Lucas? from my couch, "There, buddy!  Now's the perfect time to bring out that engagement ring!"

Re sleeping on the plane:  I don't see brunette goat woman as 100% the victim and blonde goat woman as 100% the aggressor:  I got the very same passive-aggressive-dig vibes from "Well, I got all this information [which turned out to be bad info anyway, since they were slow] from the stewardess [sic] while you were sleeping."  She tried to retcon it during their argument, but I would have taken it the way blonde goat woman did.  Neither of them was covered in glory in this episode and I wish they had been eliminated instead of the ring girls, whose only flaw from my perspective was their occupation, since as people they seemed just fine.  If bad parkers.

I balked at that 'stewardess' thing.  They've been called flight attendants for how many decades now?  Four?  

On 1/4/2018 at 0:13 PM, Cotypubby said:

They all seemed to have hats and clothing that said 66* North on them, which Googling is an Icelandic winter wear clothing store, so the bags must have been all the gear they were given.

I rolled my eyes so hard at their sob story of being "only" 5'7" so they had such a hard time being models. My heart bleeds for you. How will you two ever make it with such a life-affecting disability.

I think they said both 'under 5'7".  Not a disability, but a severe limitation if you're a model.  

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Cody and Jessica addressed what was in the bags in a video they did about the first episode. There were winter clothes, boots, jackets and hats. They had to carry the bags during the leg.

So they're still a couple and cohabitating?  Good for them.  I liked them on BB.  Cody's extreme disdain at the BB house of morons and the show itself was the best thing on BB I've ever seen.  

On 1/4/2018 at 0:23 PM, BarneySays said:

I viewed their exchanges as the passive aggressive one poking the aggressive one to elicit the reaction she got.  This allows PA to go immediately into victim mode (why won't she just be a little nicer to me?! wah).  Consider what actually would have taken place.  PA would have had a conversation while A slept.  A would have awakened, they would have prepared to get off the plane, go through immigration and customs and then find their car.  PA doesn't mention her convo ever during all of this time.  Instead, she waits until A is trying to figure out directions to coyly inform her that she already got directions while A was sleeping.  That is some nasty assed PA behavior IMO.  I may be sensitized to this conduct because there is nothing more I cannot bear than a passive aggressive person.  It's a level of dishonesty mixed with cowardice that I find utterly ugly.  I refuse to be around them if possible.  If not, I know how to shut them down and will do so.  No tolerance at all. 

Thank you!  I get why people see blondie as being the bitch, but it's a challenge to put up with someone that sensitive all the damn time.  And IMO, PA would not let it go! She went on and on and escalated it emotionally to finally get the reaction she wanted. Just say your peace and be done. At some point any empathy for that behavior is worn down to nothing.

Edited by LadyArcadia
  • Love 3

Show's back. Strange to get the new titles and the public start when there's a slightly muted dead-show walking vibe and the season's going to be burned off during the Winter Olympics. And yet again a sense of it being an Amazing Race re-enactment. But anyway. The theme/teams feel stuntcast-ish but it's mostly not "people who bring TV personas to the start" or "people who have crafted 'TV' personas for the Race."

Glad to see Iceland, glad to see self-navigation -- and not a short drive either from the airport to the first task: about 2hrs even if you don't get ridiculously lost. I think we'll have a better sense of who the teams are in a couple of legs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, etagloh said:

Show's back. Strange to get the new titles and the public start when there's a slightly muted dead-show walking vibe and the season's going to be burned off during the Winter Olympics

I'm trying to not see it like that. The best case scenario is that TAR gets good ratings, holds its own against the Olympics, and CBS decides to bring it back twice per season, the way it used to be. And I have to restate the the fans were out in force at Washington Square Park. They might have been thinking "funeral" or "wake," but those feelings were muted and the enthusiasm was there. And Phil was basically Elvis.

On 1/8/2018 at 8:41 PM, gryphon said:

Singing, "New York Jews in Icelaaaand."     (I have wished for a season of first eliminated teams.....maybe some day.

Awwww. I feel bad for Avi & Joe . . . especially in the lef with the Tai Chi demonstration. I didn't feel that TAR6 was gonna suck until Lena & Kristy flamed out in the third leg.

12 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

So they're still a couple and cohabitating?  Good for them.  I liked them on BB.  Cody's extreme disdain at the BB house of morons and the show itself was the best thing on BB I've ever seen.  

I don't follow Big Brother. From what I understand, it's basically Moron Central. Was Cody really that much better?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

it's basically Moron Central. Was Cody really that much better?

Yes, it is basically Moron Central.  And all people willing to (no, desperate to) play the clown/villain/whatever for the reality tv cameras.  Cody was just another moron for much of the season but by the end he was more like the voice of the audience to me.  He was so over them all, except Jessica, who he really did have a sweet closeness with.  

I only watch because my teen likes me to watch with her, so I'm probably more critical than most watchers of the show. 

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't follow Big Brother. From what I understand, it's basically Moron Central. Was Cody really that much better?

They have a live stream feed on BB so people online can watch (and log the dialogue even on some sites) the "house guests" as they are called on BB 24/7.  This is where Cody showed himself to be an absolute bigot especially regards gays and transgenders.  Most of this was hidden from the broadcast TV (99% casual) viewers.

And no he was just a typical moron as well as a very smug one and a bully and a complete control freak.  His poor play there -- he betrayed his own alliance through a secret move and absolute dictatorship that very first week for no reason other than his own ego and need for that absolute control -- meant he lost power early on or he, and not a guy named Paul, would have ended up as the major bully that season on the TV version.

Since Cody was then on the outs the show quickly changed the TV broadcast edit into making him into a likeable underdog having a Romeo & Juliet romance with his now TAR partner.  The live feeds continued to show him the a-hole he really was though.  So I look for the TAR edits to pump him up like the TV version of BB did but I for one don't buy it.  Guy is a past centuries "traditional style" male control freak over women and hates the transgender community to the nth degree.

He got several "chances" to take charge of the game again even getting to re-enter the BB "house" after being eliminated.  He still didn't change his stripes.  So yes he is a moron.  On TAR once you are eliminated you don't suddenly get to come back again and race a second time the same season thank goodness.

Again I think TAR will give him the Romeo & Juliet edit that BB set up for TV viewers and CBS obviously wants maintained.   But enough of his control freak personality leaked through that edit this first episode that it cost him first place at least.  Hopefully it will cost him the whole race soon.

Edited by green

There are obviously people with strong feelings regarding Cody. I suspect that if he had been in the house with decent people who were not easily turned into a rabid pack of assholes that Cody would not have developed the fan base that he did. It also help that Jessica is really good at PR and has been actively promoting Jody since she left the Big Brother house. It also helps that Cody could have been given a far worse edit then he was given but that could be said for any player in the Big Brother house. All of them give more then enough footage to turn them into a saint or a devil.

Cody was an awful player. He made unacceptable comments about trangender people, I believe it was one conversation but I could be wrong, and made some ridiculous comment about going to Ferguson to watch the protests to see what would happen. Jessica called him out for his comments and flat out told him that she had gay friends and that he had better change his tune if he wanted to be with her. That said, most of the other players were encouraged by Paul to harass Cody and Jessica. Specifically, Paul encouraged Josh and some of the others to try and needle Cody badly enough that Cody would punch them and be removed from the house. The bullying was over the top and the harassment was personal and highly offensive. Cody and Jessica played an awful game but they handled the bullshit well. Paul was such a massive asshole, and his minions were so awful, that there was an organized movement to make sure that Cody won America's Favorite, with Jessica heading the campaign, just to piss off Paul and his minions. Given that Cody played one of the worst games ever and had some seriously dickish moments of his on (mainly left in the live feeds) that Cody won America's Favorite says something about how awful Paul and his minions were.

That said, I fall into the camp that Cody is not irredeemable and that Jessica will probably introduce him to people that Cody has not met and knows nothing about except for the ridiculous stereotypes that exist in the minds of certain communities in the US. I also think that if Cody was the dick that some people think he would have gone off the rails when he spent a week in the house solo and was constantly hit with comments about his parenting, his lying about his military career and other forms of harassment. He didn't. He did not attack people on a personal level, he walked away from the folks who were targeting him and he kept his cool.

I understand that others do not see that in Cody and that is cool. I do think that it would probably be more enjoyable for Race watchers to just watch the Race and not read a ton of Big Brother posts in these threads. (she says as she types a Big Brother post in the thread). I will try hard to make this my last post on the subject.

• Love 2

There's been a lot of talk about the stunt casting.  I would agree that some accomplishments can't compare to others.  Being an NBA or Indy 500 champion or Olympic skier carries far more kudos than a goat yoga instructor, a UFC ring girl, a Yale debater, a fire fighter (I think that's what they were?), etc.  And mainly from a recognition standpoint.  The range of "success" is wide.  I guess it makes the playing field sort of uneven.  Sean Marion has made $130 million dollars in his NBA career. Sort of like in Survivor when they had an oil businessman and he didn't want to tell the others how much money he had.  I guess though if you're a competitor, you play to win no matter how small the relative prize (in their case).  

Is the other guy who is not the Indy 500 winner also a race car driver?  I heard at the mat that they said he slept on Indy 500 winner's couch (hopefully just an expression).  What is that guy's accomplishment?  Being his friend?

Goat yoga instructors are the worst.  Aren't they friends and business partners?  They seemed like they were meeting for the first time.  As mentioned in a post up above, how is being a goat yoga instructor make you "at the top of your field"?  I suppose if you became an underwater basket weaver without the use of scuba gear, then maybe you could become a top decile accomplisher in your field as well too.

Really didn't like the challenges.  The harness and going out to get a flag was dumb.  Sure, it makes for some amazing scenery.  But we hardly got any shots of them looking out or down, so you didn't really get a sense of how scary it was.  And how hard is it?  Zip out there, then have your partner pull you back.  Stupid.

But that's not as dumb as the strong man/woman challenge.  So you have a semi-attractive woman (too muscly for me) just ask you two stupid questions and you just go 50 feet to ask some passerbys the answer.  Then you drink a shot of something.  How is that hard?  I thought these guys were competitors!  Make them doing something that involves brute strength.

I assume the dune buggy challenge allowed you to write down notes?  The Yale debater appeared to have pen and paper.  But I really didn't see any of the others have.  It would have been better if you messed up that made you take another lap around the course.

I thought the "check your Os and Ps" was a weak penalty.  How did Cedric know that?  He must have heard some of the other racers comment as they were running back to their cars.  I thought a bigger issue would be Sean literally looking at the girl's answer and comparing to his.  How is THAT not a penalty?  Doesn't matter because he helped her with it?  Wouldn't it have made sense that once the answer was right, that the checker would immediately take down the tiles?

I don't understand why Ring girl didn't drop her heavy backpack. The goat girls look like they packed for a 3 month trip, and their backpacks were huge.  Everybody seemed to drop bags except that last girl, and predictably, she was the last.

4 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

But that's not as dumb as the strong man/woman challenge.  So you have a semi-attractive woman (too muscly for me) just ask you two stupid questions and you just go 50 feet to ask some passerbys the answer.  Then you drink a shot of something.  How is that hard?  I thought these guys were competitors!  Make them doing something that involves brute strength.

Yeah that one was ridiculous but they have those pretty regularly. Sometimes it is the capitols of specific countries and the like so nothing new there.

I assume the dune buggy challenge allowed you to write down notes?  The Yale debater appeared to have pen and paper.  But I really didn't see any of the others have.  It would have been better if you messed up that made you take another lap around the course.

They were not allowed to write down notes. They had to memorize it. The instructions did not tell them about the numbers and the letters so they had to figure it out on their own. Cody said that there were three lanes that you had to go down in order to get all of the letters. So it was multiple runs, in an uncomfortable car, getting wet in cold temperatures and memorizing letters and numbers. It sounds to me to be pretty challenging.

I thought the "check your Os and Ps" was a weak penalty.  How did Cedric know that?  He must have heard some of the other racers comment as they were running back to their cars.  I thought a bigger issue would be Sean literally looking at the girl's answer and comparing to his.  How is THAT not a penalty?  Doesn't matter because he helped her with it?  Wouldn't it have made sense that once the answer was right, that the checker would immediately take down the tiles?

Cedric was penalized because the rules says that your partner cannot offer any advice, suggestions or help during roadblocks. While the check your O and P was weak, and not helpful in the end, it was still advice. That is not allowed. Think about all the other racers we have watched who are frustrated at Roadblocks and all their partners would say is "calm down", "you can do this" and those type of platitudes. They are not allowed to help at all. Thems the rules. Everyone else followed the rules, Cedric didn't. It might seem weak but he broke the rules.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I suppose if you became an underwater basket weaver without the use of scuba gear, then maybe you could become a top decile accomplisher in your field as well too.

I believe the message is that the viewership (at least in the minds of TPTB) are interested in "famous" people, and not so much where they go or what they do when they get there.  If they could somehow fill the race with Kardashians, they could simply have them ride from PitStart to PitStop in limos, and the viewers would watch.  Hell, the ratings would probably improve, too.  

'Course, they can't get Kardashians, so they get the best they can -- Disfunctional BBers, Ring Bimbos and Goat Yogi.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

If they could somehow fill the race with Kardashians, they could simply have them ride from PitStart to PitStop in limos, and the viewers would watch.  Hell, the ratings would probably improve, too.

If any Kardashian showed up on the Amazing Race I guarantee it would be off my DVR list faster than it took me to type this response.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

If any Kardashian showed up on the Amazing Race I guarantee it would be off my DVR list faster than it took me to type this response.

Mine too.  But in the time it would take the two of us to dump TAR, they would pick up two million new viewers, I betcha!

And that, is the problem.

Edited by Netfoot
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

I believe the message is that the viewership (at least in the minds of TPTB) are interested in "famous" people, and not so much where they go or what they do when they get there.  If they could somehow fill the race with Kardashians, they could simply have them ride from PitStart to PitStop in limos, and the viewers would watch.  Hell, the ratings would probably improve, too.  

'Course, they can't get Kardashians, so they get the best they can -- Disfunctional BBers, Ring Bimbos and Goat Yogi.

Who are the Kardashians?

Are they entitled brats with rich parents?

Man, I love this show.  Started loving it with season one and here we are at 30. Wow.  No significant team hatred for me yet but I am predisposed to hate any crossover from BB, competitive eating grosses me out (and, NO, it’s not a sport.  It’s an exercise in stuffing food down your gullet then puking it up), and goat yoga doesn’t belong in a race full of “champions”.  Other than that, I’m open.  

Very nervous NBA guys would completely blow it out of the gate.  Hope they step it up.  I get the penalty for help from the partner but have no problem with looking at a finished puzzle.  If production leaves it out there, it’s fair game.  

My show is back.  Let the Race begin!!!!

Singing, "New York Jews in Icelaaaand."     (I have wished for a season of first eliminated teams.....maybe some day.

So much this!!  I want to see Avi and Joe again, along with other first eliminated contestants.  Has production never thought of this?  It would be brilliant!

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Is the other guy who is not the Indy 500 winner also a race car driver?  I heard at the mat that they said he slept on Indy 500 winner's couch (hopefully just an expression).  What is that guy's accomplishment?  Being his friend?

The other guy is a race car driver too but, unlike his partner, never won the Indy 500.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:37 AM, iMonrey said:

I would have been happy to see any of the last three teams Philiminated. Goodbye, boxing models. Every season we get a team of girls named Kammie and Kayla or Kassie and Katie or Kaley and Kimmie and they look just alike and you can never tell which is which. Good riddance. 

I don't know how the hell the Goat Yoga gals are even friends! Right out of the gate and they're bitching about each other and to each other. It's like they just met. And I would also have been fine if the basketball players were gone. I didn't think the Roadblock was all that challenging, but it did help show us who was going to be tripped up by details. 

Cody and Jessica weren't too awful, but I could still do without them. Cody has less than zero personality, but for some damn reason, CBS seems to think they've hit pay dirt anytime people hook up on one of their reality shows. I guess they're always looking for their next Rob and Amber. Oh well, could have been worse. Could have been Paul. Kind of shocked it wasn't.

I do like the skiers, though, and the Yale team. And oh my, we haven't had eye candy like team violin since the Chippendales. 

It's that, but I also think it's casting. We always get the exact same types of teams. It's the same problem with all the CBS reality shows. They have a call sheet with specific roles then they set out to cast those same roles over and over again. That's why, after a while, it seems like the same show over and over. You get  the same characters every season, but with different people playing them.

I'm kind of glad we got Cody & Jessica, because they were honestly the least objectionable of all the BB19 hookups. As far as the girls go, I'll take Jessica and her shallow nature over Elena and her constant shock value comments, and Raven of the thousand diseases. And I don't know why if CBS had to go the stunt casting/crossover route, they could've thought out of the box and cast good friends Jason and Alex. There we get teams where both partners have an actual personality. Or to tick both the crossover/model boxes in one fell swoop, while still not coming across as over the top, cast current BB winner Josh alongside his model sister.

• Love 1

I totally forgot this was coming back. Catching up late.

I found a lot of the contestants a little annoying at first but I made the effort to not give in to that since this show is more enjoyable when I like the teams. I can away with snarking on other shows but TAR works best when you want to root for someone. Still, banter and talking heads... it was rough. Maybe I'm just not used to watching reality TV anymore.

I like that the team that seems the bro-iest so far is Well Strung because they actually seem really tolerable. 

Considering that to varying degrees all the racers have some familiarity with being in the public eye (sports, Big Brother, models, competitive eating... even the Yalies are debaters) it was a bit surprisingly how dull they all were.

Not proud of it, but the first time I smiled was when Big Brother beat Yale.

I was meh on the heights challenge since no one seemed that bothered by it and only a few teams showed any physical strain... and still, not that much. Dune buggies was decent. It wasn't interesting to watch but it was a decent memory challenge with all the splashing water. (Is there a rule about not being able to write things down or when you can write things down during the race?) The next task was terrible. Go to the middle town where people are doing things. Basically just ask around to get answers to questions and drink something mildly unpleasant. What? OK, I guess it's only leg 1.

Iceland still looked beautiful but it seemed rather rainy/cloudy/foggy which didn't help distract me with beautiful scenery during dull tasks.

Yay, all female team first win! Even if I wouldn't have minded Big Brother getting it. They raced well aside from the end.

Maybe they're just used to being on camera but I liked that Team Big Brother didn't have a complete meltdown. He didn't listen but when they got to the mat he admitted it was his fault. 

It killed me watching the basketball player struggle over the O's. I might have had some sympathy at the mat with the penalty... except one of them (the one who didn't do the task but shouted out a clue) said earlier that his family watches the show. So he would know the rules about help.

I'm not sure the racecar drivers would tell anybody. That is still an industry where being gay can hurt your career a lot. So the one guy didn't move in with the other because they are a couple, he's just "staying on his couch"... Or I'm completely wrong.

Of course I can't say if something is actually going on between well strung. They just pinged my gaydar. So you are probably right. Although you don't have to be dating to have a sexual tension (or even sex from time to time)

Edited by Miles
On 16/01/2018 at 0:44 PM, lexington11 said:

I'm kind of glad we got Cody & Jessica, because they were honestly the least objectionable of all the BB19 hookups. As far as the girls go, I'll take Jessica and her shallow nature over Elena and her constant shock value comments, and Raven of the thousand diseases. And I don't know why if CBS had to go the stunt casting/crossover route, they could've thought out of the box and cast good friends Jason and Alex. There we get teams where both partners have an actual personality. Or to tick both the crossover/model boxes in one fell swoop, while still not coming across as over the top, cast current BB winner Josh alongside his model sister.

Josh? Josh? Josh! Dear God, NO. Or Elena or Raven. Okay, you've talked me into it. In comparison, Jessica and Cody aren't that bad. But I wish we didn't have to get competitors from Survivor or Big Brother.

16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

How many times have we had a gay couple on the race who didn't mention the fact at least three times an episode?

Gay couples mention it at about the same rate as straight couples (which is a lot), if they are actually out that is. Who knows how many have run as "best friends"?

Gay individuals, we've had a lot where it was never mentioned on the show. Like Luke from Margie and Luke or Kisha from Kisha and Jen.

Edited by Miles
19 hours ago, Miles said:

Gay couples mention it at about the same rate as straight couples (which is a lot), if they are actually out that is. Who knows how many have run as "best friends"?

Gay individuals, we've had a lot where it was never mentioned on the show. Like Luke from Margie and Luke or Kisha from Kisha and Jen.

And the only time I can remember Mel and Mike mention their sexuality on the show was their intro vid where they talked about how Mel came out after a number of years of being married to his (ex) wife, then Mike later came out to his dad. And one of the Chippendale dancers on the season with the Anderson twins also went the whole time without mentioning that he's gay.

Edited by lexington11
On 20/01/2018 at 7:25 PM, LoreliLee said:

I really shouldn’t post when I’m half-asleep. The film is “Kedi”, a documentary from 2016. It’s about cats in Istanbul, Turkey & how they interact with & are supported by the community. Don’t have to be a cat lover to enjoy this wonderful film.  ? 

Good thing you posted that. I Googled "Gedi" and received a lot of hits about the ruins of Gedi and the first Prime Minister of Somalia. I was going to look it up when I had time. Would have been terribly disappointed to delve into it and not find kitties! Have now bookmarked the real Kedi.

Edited by PreBabylonia
Typo
On 1/21/2018 at 9:55 AM, Miles said:

I'm not sure the racecar drivers would tell anybody. That is still an industry where being gay can hurt your career a lot. So the one guy didn't move in with the other because they are a couple, he's just "staying on his couch"... Or I'm completely wrong.

Of course I can't say if something is actually going on between well strung. They just pinged my gaydar. So you are probably right. Although you don't have to be dating to have a sexual tension (or even sex from time to time)

Well-Strung stated in one of the first episodes that they used to be a couple, but now are friends.