Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E01: You're a Champion? Prove it!

Geenee
  • Start Topic

Amazing creds on some of the cast!  There's definitely some root worthy teams. I'm excited for this season :-)

Lucas better not lose that ring in all the craziness of the race. 1st impressions, I'm liking team violins and freaking gorgeous Iceland. Goat yoga must suck, no zen there. 

• Love 11

Self-navigation right off the bat!  *hearteyes*

I love that in the initial lineup Cody was standing next to Shawn Marrion so Cody looked like a wee little man.

Yeah, I’m petty, but Cody sucks.  Them not winning first place because Cody wouldn’t listen is perfect.

Joey Chestnut has always seemed like an affable guy even if watching him do what he does grosses me the hell out.

The Amazing Yellow Line looks like it had a few too many Christmas candies.

Our RZR has been busted for two years and watching the teams riding through the water made me miss it SO MUCH.

I can do without Brittany.

Cedric and Shawn get your shit together.  Don’t scare me like that!

It would have been less uncomfortable if April and Sarah (? Is that their names?) got bounced.  April is mean.

• Love 19

I'm so glad that TAR is back; and at a better day/time. Also, I see that we have new intro graphics with Phil included. 

Wow. It didn't take long for the in-team bickering to start. 

I hope future challenges are better this season than these. Answering a couple of questions and drinking a beverage? Really? 

The ending was more interesting. I was hoping Team Ring Girls would have made it past Team Goat Yoga.

Right now I'm not rooting too strongly for any team. Maybe Team Chomp and Team Extreme. I want to root for Team Slam Dunk too, but they need to step it up.

• Love 9

Hurray! It's back, and back where it started!! J used to live for watching this show. One of those hot dog guys look like the man (Matt, I think) from the team of dancers who won a few seasons ago. I can't remember his name, but not too long ago there were posts about him because some punched him in the face. Boxer ladies, gag me.  Kristi (skiers) remind me of either Kat or Nat who won season 17.  Hi Cody and Jessica! Cody does his usual blank stare while Jessica talks.  I thought I saw Big Brother Josh in the crowd, just a glimpse.

"The world is waiting for you." I always get a shiver in my spine when Phil says that.  Reyjkjavik, Iceland. I changed planes there last year. Goat yoga looks so cool!! Love the goats. I'm not sure how debate will help you on the Race unless to persuade a taxi driver to give you a free ride. I was at that airport!!! Looks just the same, even just as cloudy. I wonder if Lucas is second guessing giving that ring to his girlfriend after her long spiel about holding mistakes against him and being passive aggressive..

Gosh, that flag challenge would be so scary and hard! The line really sagged when that basketball player was on it. Go skiers! The goat yoga ladies aren't that fun to watch. I wonder if they come in last. That looked like a mat interview in that segment. Well this road block is custom made for the car racer, except he won't get to drive. Fun!!  Hot dog team - now why isn't the guy standing there pulling his partner in instead of the partner doing all the work? Good job, Cody!! Maybe being at least a quarter Norwegian helped him with the Icelandic language and diacritical marks. Now can't they just drive the course again if they can't figure out the letters? Yes, they can, as Shawn hops in his car.

What's nice about having a super-competitive cast is they won't help each other (I hope)--famous last words as basketball player and goat yoga lady helped each other. And I noticed Cody's Scandinavian accent when he pronounced "Brennevin." Congratulations to the skiers for coming in first! Shawn finally gets it! And the referee lady finally gets to collect her paycheck and go home. Good, goat yoga ladies made it and ring girls are out!

• Love 4

"Hosted by Phil Keoghan." They decide to add that to the title credits only after 30 seasons. 

It was an ok premiere. Lots of drama 20 minutes in, bad driving and a penalty where they really should have known better and yet it was...there. 

Until that RACE TO THE FINISH THAT (sort of) NEEDED A PHOTO FINISH! I MEAN...yeah, still a bit bland. 

I have so many shows to watch this year, and I have a feeling this one will fall by the way side.  

The only thing from the previews I look forward to is Phil's scruff because he clearly lost his razor along the way.  

• Love 3

Wow!  That was quit a finish!  Of course since I don't know the teams yet I'm not sure who was eliminated. Those were the boxing models?  And the bickering goat women just edged them?  Pretty suspenseful for the NBAers to have to wait. Guess they didn't read the rules. 

• Love 4

I can't believe how long it took that lady to park that SUV.

Rooting for the extreme skiers at the moment, just glad that this show is back and rejuvenated. They're going to swap partners!? The previews looked exciting.

• Love 11

So far, so good. Apologies to the "Ring Girls," but I'm glad it shook out this way because "Goat Yoga" is fun to type. And say. It's yoga. . . with goats.

LVP goes to Shawn for not looking at the two different "O's" and seeing the difference. Cedric also get no love . . . if he's watched the show, he should know you can't help your partner during a Roadblock. They seem like nice guys . . . they're probably in it for the adventure, not the money.

The start was fun to watch, though I exhausted myself going from place to place, taking pictures and film. I don't know if you can see me. You can see Justin for a split second . . . he's the guy with the green beret. I mean, the beret that is green. I'm betting Diana was there as well. The important thing: the fans were out in force . . . though Phil saying "hundreds" kinda hurts. Probst doesn't do a Survivor reunion unless at least a thousand fans arrive, willing to kiss his ass.

I DVRed the episode and will rewatch. Needless to say, it's good to have the series back!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

What a tense ending to the first leg. I'm so disappointed that Goat Yoga didn't get eliminated. Man, they're a hot mess of a team, but more because of the blonde being so cruel to her partner. I don't care if you're under stress and in a new situation; being passive aggressive and jabbing at your partner's quirks and flaws (being emotional) is not good.

Them and Team NBA are the teams I dislike the most. I'm sorry, but Shawn not only got help from his teammate, overheard or not, but didn't he blatantly cheat by looking at another team's board after they left in order to finish the Roadblock? 

I absolutely fell in love with Team Yale Debaters. Both are so damn adorable. I also love Team Skiiers. Actually, all the teams were fairly good and likable. 

As a Big Brother fan, I'm partial to Jess/Cody, but I'm glad they got second due to Cody not listening to Jessica. This was one of their issues on BB so I'm glad it came to bite them in the ass. Otherwise, they're really not a bad team. Cody got through the Roadblock with ease, and Jessica seemed quite friendly with the other contestants. 

Luckily, this season, TAR comes on at a time where I'm basically not watching anything, so it's a perfect fit.

• Love 10

Goat yoga is indeed a thing.  A farm in my town started goat yoga classes this summer and they sold out immediately.  They added more classes...sold out.  Advertised classes for next summer...sold out.

The yoga at that farm just has the little cute goats running around but not walking on the participants like in the clip, though.  The article I read said that you get the full goat experience, including the possibility of them peeing on your mat.  No thank you!

• Love 5

Loved it!! Needed a bit more time to flesh out the cast (did we even see more than 5 seconds of the girls before the end?), but it was so nice to have the race back in its pure format after 2 gimmick seasons (even though I ended up liking the social media season).

I agree the NBA guys should have gotten a penalty, but not for the random O and P shout, how about the fact he went and simply copied the right answer from a completed board? That was pretty ridiculous. 

Great premiere though! That finish was epic.

• Love 3

Lots to cram into and hour and it was pretty good. Granted, it’s hard with a 11 teams but I felt like everyone got some airtime. I’ll be glad when we get to 9. It’s just a little easier to keep track. I wasn’t surprised that Cody & Jessica did so well but I’m surprised they didn’t come in first. It looks like Cody was being the Alpha Male and wouldn’t listen to his woman. All in all, I’m looking forward to seeing more.

• Love 5

The season just started so why was I so scared that basketball players would be sent home. Really was down to the wire. 

Team Goat is going to be so uncomfortable to watch. One being so meek and the other being super competitive. I did think asking the flight attendant about directions was smart until it inevitably didn't work out. 

• Love 8

Oh I liked the girls that came in last, but man that was so close. Are the goat yoga girls the ones that argued? Hmm more yoga perhaps. I like Cedric and his partner,but he shouldn't keep helping others!
Cody ran through that ice spelling challenge, then messed up. Well done you two. Cody, ask ! Listen to Jess, at least he said it was his fault.
I love the guys that play the violin, and the race car drivers! 
I wish I knew names. What was in the white bags they all carried? 
I love racers that want to compete, looks like a good season..bet they only swap partners for one challenge..
Yay AR is back! 

• Love 5

I have a few teams I like immediately off the bat- Team Extreme; Team Firefighters (just predetermined to root for firefighters due my husbands career); and Team Well Strung (anyone who says they’ll beat everyone without malice is on top for me). 

Teams I’m impartial (I could take or leave them) to- Team Slam Dunk; Team Indy Car;Team Ocean Rescue and Team Yale; 

And the teams that already annoy me- Team Chomp because that’s all that Phil talks about. I think competitive eating is gross and not a sport or anything; The Ring Girls (glad they were eliminated), Team Big Brother (any Big Brother Team on TAR annoys the hell out of me) and Team Goat Yoga (they seem completely ill-fitted for this themed year). 

So glad this show is back!

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Them and Team NBA are the teams I dislike the most. I'm sorry, but Shawn not only got help from his teammate, overheard or not, but didn't he blatantly cheat by looking at another team's board after they left in order to finish the Roadblock? 

Well, he was the one that did the layout for her and she just said "now go do it!" So I say no harm no foul... but yeah I won't be surprised if I see people pulling down their puzzle results after hearing that tale!

Solid beginning though I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw Justin... total TAR PTSD whiplash.

Speaking of other earlier showing causing gastric distress; I still can't stand that Cody and Jessica are on this Race. I don't know if there is anyone attractive enough for them to align with though so that's good.

Speaking of other BB->TAR teams I forgot to mention I dislike the 'eating' team because of the green sparkle outfits that reminded me of Brendon and Rachel. Also do I need to mention... face paint??

Off to get some TUMS!

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 6

I did manage to freeze frame and find myself in the NYC crowd. It's amazing how that was a 4+ hour event, and edited down to about 3 minutes or less. The magic of television!

I don't watch BB, and don't endorse the CBS crossovers, but I must say these two are already infinitely better than that 'other' BB team who I never want to see again. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I wish I knew names. What was in the white bags they all carried? 

I want to know, too!  I thought that was really strange, and was probably slowing them down.  But it seemed that at some point they dropped their bags and packs, because no one had anything by the time they hit the mat.  I also thought it odd that with a few teams there would be one person all bundled up and the other person was in a t-shirt.

I loved the first challenge with the letters, but thought the second challenge in the city center was really lame.  They at least should have been made to find a certain bar or store and have the shots there. 

I'm not really hating on any teams.  I don't like reality stars in general, but never watched BB, so have no idea who these people are.  I'll give the goat yoga ladies one more episode to stop acting like children.  Sort of hope that out of all these extreme sports characters the violinists or Yale nerds win.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

It's amazing how that was a 4+ hour event, and edited down to about 3 minutes or less.

So what else happened that we didn't see? I presume there was a lot of standing around, but anything interesting with respect to TAR logistics?

As for the episode itself, I was prepared to dislike this season from the start due to the latest variation on stunt casting, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the teams to be generally inoffensive at this point. And Iceland was beautiful.

• Love 4

I could watch footage from Iceland all day long...

Almost none of the teams really stood out to me, except the skiers, the Yalies, and team NBA. I'm a basketball fan and loved both of those guys as players, so I'm rooting for them, but they do need to step it up.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

Can someone explain the secret of the O’s? Was there a little number on the bottom of one like in scrabble? I couldn’t figure out what they couldn’t figure out. LOL!!!!! Thanks.

One of the o’s had an accent mark over it and the other did not.

• Love 1

but didn't he blatantly cheat by looking at another team's board after they left in order to finish the Roadblock? 

Except the irony of the situation was that he inadvertently did her puzzle for her. He was helping her out, for whatever reason, since they were last two teams and essentially saying that he knew the letters were right and the numbers but he just wasn't getting it right and as soon as he put the O in the right place on her space, the clue giver came and told her she was right. Which, to be honest, I thought that was weird since clue giver had to see that he was the one who literally put the pieces in place for her. And even after, he still couldn't figure out why his was still not correct, which is why he finally really paid attention to what he did on hers. 

• Love 14
42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Yeah, I’m petty, but Cody sucks.  Them not winning first place because Cody wouldn’t listen is perfect.

Standard Cody, never change buddy.

40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What a tense ending to the first leg. I'm so disappointed that Goat Yoga didn't get eliminated. Man, they're a hot mess of a team, but more because of the blonde being so cruel to her partner. I don't care if you're under stress and in a new situation; being passive aggressive and jabbing at your partner's quirks and flaws (being emotional) is not good.

We were calling them the "Not Namastes".

15 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

I did manage to freeze frame and find myself in the NYC crowd.

Well post it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, tominboston said:

So what else happened that we didn't see? I presume there was a lot of standing around, but anything interesting with respect to TAR logistics?

Basically just multiple takes of everything. 2-3 takes of each team running in, 3ish takes of Phil's speech, lots of final prep, group photos of the teams, former racers in attendance, the crew, etc. Lot of shifting the crowd around to get them out of certain spots. Basically what you would expect. Phil and the crew got there 1130-12, they didn't say go until about 345. Plus there were initial crew there all morning setting up the decorations and rails. It was fascinating as someone who enjoys behind the scenes stuff, but some of the downtime was boring.

Edit: and the team introductions must have taken at least an hour. Phil went to each team with a card/cheatsheet in his hand to introduce them to the crowd and give some background, and then had that little mingling session between teams at the starting line where a lot of other stuff was cut.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 15
48 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Didn't she at one point literally say "What are you going to cry now?" I agree that was ugly. Maybe they'll redeem themselves. The 'meek' one of the two was showing classic response of anyone in a bad relationship, she instantly tried to explain away why she was being treated badly/abused. "We have different personalities" etc. is just sad to hear when someone is standing there with an emotional black eye.

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

One was an Ó and one was a plain O.

Oh! LOL!!! Thanks.

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

One of the o’s had an accent mark over it and the other did not.

Thanks.

• I thought that the team member had to go back and try again in the dune buggy if the judge said the name was spelled incorrectly.  I know one of the guys (Chris?) switched a letter after the judge had told him it was wrong.  Then she said, "Now it's right".  I thought for sure there would be a penalty.  It happened about 35-40 minutes into the show.
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, luvmylabs said:
  • I thought that the team member had to go back and try again in the dune buggy if the judge said the name was spelled incorrectly.  I know one of the guys (Chris?) switched a letter after the judge had told him it was wrong.  Then she said, "Now it's right".  I thought for sure there would be a penalty.  It happened about 35-40 minutes into the show.

They didn't have to go back.

• Love 5

Those green shirts the Eaters are wearing are atrocious.

Why do they all have to be stunt castings?  Why not just ordinary people?

Goat yoga?  Oh, ffs. And nasty to each other already?  This isn't going to go well.

Evan sure sounds nervous for somebody who claims to be so sure of herself.

Those violinists are sure buff.

Did they jump on board those planes still wet from jumping into the fountain?

"Some say I'm smart." "I've never met any of those people."  So far I like the Big Brother couple.

I hate it when ferns lie to the competitors.

Which ones were Kristi and Jen again?

The NBA guy cheated. But the thing he cheated about wasn't what they got penalized for.

Why were they carrying things in plastic shopping bags?

• Love 2

Found myself in the crowd scene. Not really tempted to post the screencap because I don't think I come off well visually. Or audio-wise, but that's another thing. It could be worse . . . I'm in a crowd shot in an Adam Sandler movie. No, I'm not saying which one.

As for Justin? From what I remember, he tied the knot with Diana, and I'm good with him. Unless he comes back. Then all bets are off.

Maybe CBS gives Phil money for charity anytime he brings up competitive eating with Joey and Tim. Nice guys, but I can see how viewers could get fatigued.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

I forgot to say it was great seeing the teams drive themselves. Although, it was odd that there weren’t any issues with driving stick but there issues with, um, parking?!?! Not parallel parking! Not parking in reverse! Just plain parking!!!! WTF???

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I forgot to say it was great seeing the teams drive themselves. Although, it was odd that there weren’t any issues with driving stick but there issues with, um, parking?!?! Not parallel parking! Not parking in reverse! Just plain parking!!!! WTF???

I thought she was going to dent the other car! 

• Love 2

"Travel safe. Go!"  Yes!!

Beautiful shots of Iceland throughout the show.

Our house's early favorite is Team Ocean Rescue, as two of my sons are working as lifeguards through college and were watching with us.

Right after Phil checks in Team Slam Dunk, he turns the attention to the foot race behind him.  At that moment, you get a crystal clear view of one of the photographers following the teams.  I'm sure I've seen the camera guys in shots before, but this may have been the most obvious.

• Love 1

Haha the models are first out. Won’t miss ‘em. 

Goat Yoga can go next.

I was prepared to hate Cody/Jessica but they were actually... not terrible this time? 

As soon as the episode began I guessed either the models or Goat Yoga would be the first gone so heh! I’m gonna predict now that the final three will be the female skiers, the gay violinists and Cody/Jessica.

• Love 7

My sister just got back from five days in Iceland. She rhapsodized about how beautiful the country was, and I can certainly see why!

I wanted to love Team Goat Yoga because, well, Goat Yoga. But I can't.

I don't really 'get' competitive eating, but I know who Joey Chestnut is. I thought he and his teammate very pleasant and capable.

Agree that Team Big Brother already seems to be a huge improvement over Brenchel.

Love Team SlamDunk but agree that they have to pick up the pace and not make so many mistakes.

Actually, I like just about everyone so far, though Team Goat Yoga has one, two episodes at most to win me back.

Phil in the opening credits! My heart leaped almost as much as when he did the now iconic "The world is waiting. Travel safe... GO!"

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, kaygeeret said:

So I am really loving the teams this season - -except of course for the 'crybaby' and the 'mean one'... sigh

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy the show is back and looking forward to the season

Hard to believe that they are friends. They turned on each other so fast. It’s almost like they are from the Perfect Stangers season. With friends like these who needs enemies?

• Love 11

Love that TAR is back!! I really missed it this past fall.

I thought the episode was pretty solid all around - that ending was crazy!  I really wish the ring girl in the back had run a little faster (or they'd been able to park and not be in a race at the end at all). I hope Goat Yoga goes next.  Honestly, as soon as they were introduced I immediately rolled my eyes and hoped they'd go, but the blonde's bitchy personality really solidified it for me. They can go any time.

My husband is rooting against the Big Brother team only because they're on BB and he hates that show. I'm reserving judgement for right now.

Loved the skiers and violinists. I was not expecting them to say they were violinists.

• Love 7