Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, BornToDie said:

So if Jensen and Jared remain friends and do con panels together, then does the perception of Jensen change because he’s decided he wants to continue the relationship?

No. My opinion of Jared changed, or rather, solidified over this incident, but my feelings about Jensen haven't and won't. Probably because I think he's been protecting and keeping the peace with Jared for a long time. I don't believe the friendship is what it once was, and what is there is completely one-sided as far as loyalty and support go. But above all, Jensen is a professional, and if he signs on for the cons, he's going to give the fans what they paid for. Maybe 'scheduling' will require them to have some solo panels (if we should be so lucky ;)).

• Love 16

Danneel's IG post seems to say that they were supposed to keep things quiet: 

danneelackles512

Verified

We look forward to beginning the journey with these beloved characters, given to us by the one and only Mr. Kripke. We are going back to 1972… cars, music, peace, love and monsters.

The Winchester’s is in the capable hands of Robbie Thompson @rthompson1138 and we couldn’t be happier about that. It’s been a tough secret to keep, so we’re excited to finally be able to share the news. Can’t wait to tell this story🖤✌️
🖤

I don't know if "keeping the secret" included Jared or other cast members, but it's possible someone was afraid Jared would leak the news.  It's also possible that, in between quarantine and ongoing negotiations, moving between Texas, Colorado and Ontario, and working with all the various people and groups, Jensen just "forgot" that Jared hadn't been told (the same as Kripke "assumed" he'd already been told.)  Maybe he thought the first few times he mentioned it (without the final details) would be enough.  You'd think Jared would give his "brother" at least the benefit of the doubt and ask before publicly denouncing him.  

As to the other question on this board, about what they're going to do with John and Mary to make them likeable/make their story interesting, in case others haven't seen it yet, I'm attaching the link to the Hypable story mentioned in Jensen's tweet above.  The latter part of the article (after all the already-known news is covered) goes into the writer's thoughts and explanations of the Winchester history according to canon, and all the questions raised by contradictions over the years,  gives some suggestions, and seems to imply that Jensen understands all the possibilities (and problems) and will address them.  It makes me feel a little more hopeful, anyway!

https://www.hypable.com/supernatural-prequel-what-to-expect-from-the-winchesters/ 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Thanks, that and Casseiopeia's comments clears up a lot. So, much of this seems to have started around 2019 (probably after Jensen had the finale meeting).  He decided to form a production company and make his own Supernatural content. He grabs Robbie and has a meeting with who ever makes the big decisions and got the clearance to produce Supernatural. Then at some point he has a courtesy meeting with Kripke to let him know the story. Kripke has moved on from SPN and pretty much gives his blessing to everything SPN related from the spin-offs to the finale to Jensen's pitch. 

Now that would make me think that NDA's weren't involved if Jensen could let Kripke know what was going on. Which makes me think Jensen and Robbie intentionally left Jared out of the loop for whatever reason. I definitely can see why Jensen would want total control after the lack of power he seemed to have in the Dabb years. The call to Jared yesterday may have simply been letting him know that there is a plan, Sam will be included at some point and if he keeps having Twitter tirades he will ruin everything. 

Again for now ,no matter how exactly it happened, Jensen has control of the show and its future and I am more than ok with that. 

I think you're making too many assumptions in your narrative, which also goes too far.

Jensen doesn't currently have clearance to produce Supernatural. The CW has given a script commitment for the spinoff, The Winchesters. 

This is also too much: "Kripke has moved on from SPN and pretty much gives his blessing to everything SPN related from the spin-offs to the finale to Jensen's pitch."

Kripke (it seems from his public comment) thinks Jensen's idea for a spinoff is a good one, and thinks either Jared or Jensen should be involved in future SPN related projects.

Now that would make me think that NDA's weren't involved if Jensen could let Kripke know what was going on.

The thing about NDAs here is that NDAs don't pertain to Jared's stated gripe.

Jared's stated gripe is that he found out on Twitter.

No NDA would have allowed Jensen to publicize the script commitment via Deadline, while forbidding Jensen from telling his friend after he told Deadline, but BEFORE Deadline published and Jensen retweeted.

The "oh it's an NDA thing" came from fans who side with Jensen, but felt a little icky about it, and scrambled for an excuse for Jensen to have not told Jared. (I side with Jensen, but I don't feel icky about it.)

I'm not saying there wasn't some agreement as to secrecy, but any clause pertaining to the existence of the script commitment would have ended before/at the point where Jensen could publicize the script commitment. (And there probably was no such clause.)

I think you're trying to make more of this than it is -- like it's some conspiracy. But also, Jensen doesn't have "control of the show." 

Jensen/Chaos/Robbie have a script commitment from The CW. That means the network will pay for a script for The Winchesters, whether they like it or not.

What he also does not have is a script commitment with penalty. A script commitment with penalty means the makers get paid, even if the network decides not to order a pilot.

Jensen doesn't have a pilot order, or a put-pilot (a promise to air the pilot or pay financial penalties). What he has right now is a, "Show us what you can do, kid."

And that's what put Jared's knickers in a twist -- that Jensen got a "Go ahead, show us a script" before he told him. It makes Jared look so small.

Edited by General Days
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Just reading about all this for the first time myself right now. Honestly, I think not even contacting Padalecki or having him involved in any way is pretty dirty. YMMV, clearly. It's kind of funny to me, as much as I've read Padalecki demonized here over the years, that Jensen is the one that ended up doing something like this, tbh.

With that said, I wouldn't have any interest in seeing it anyway if the brothers and their actors aren't involved. I never liked John, Mary was boring at best, and John and Mary's relationship with one another wasn't one I had an interest in considering how manipulated the whole thing was. Romeo & Juliet, they aren't.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Just reading about all this for the first time myself right now. Honestly, I think not even contacting Padalecki or having him involved in any way is pretty dirty. YMMV, clearly. It's kind of funny to me, as much as I've read Padalecki demonized here over the years, that Jensen is the one that ended up doing something like this, tbh.

Jared knew. Maybe not what the final idea would be, but to act like he was blindsided by its existence is disingenuous at best. They talked about it on the virtual panel . His issue seemed to be more about Sam Winchester not being part of the story (never mind that Dean isn't either). But to come off like this all happened behind his back is just wrong. To throw his friend to the wolves without the benefit of any doubt after 15 years is pretty dirty. YMMV, clearly. Considering how many times Jensen has covered for Jared's public foibles over the years, protected, coddled, defended, openly praised and championed him (very, very little of which was reciprocated), I think it's kind of funny it took this long for Jared to turn on him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Whether or not Jensen told Jared is not the issue IMO

THe issue is that Jared ran to a very public forum swarming with passionate fans to air his discontent. He’s done it before and he’ll do it again.  He totally knows the expected fallout  

Pick up the phone Jared. It’s what real grown up friends do. 

But at least the project is getting free publicity I guess 

• Love 17
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think not even contacting Padalecki or having him involved in any way is pretty dirty.

But the show isn't even in preproduction yet.  Knowing Jensen, he probably had every intention of involving Jared or asking him.

Also the virtual panel was at least 3 months ago.  Jensen specifically mentioned he was working on five projects.  Jared said they talk often.  Could Jared not have asked him what he was working on or showed the slightest bit of interest?

Communication works both ways. 

Jared had this phone in his hand.  He could have given his best friend and colleague, the one who stood beside him and supported him through so many mis-steps the benefit of the doubt and called Jensen.  He didn't.

Awhile ago, some fan criticized Jared and Jared said something and is fans started going after that person and hours later, he's like don't send hate.

This situation is copy and paste.  Jared has a history of doing this all the time. 

Sorry you don't throw a friend under the bus like that knowing exactly how your fans would react.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

No. My opinion of Jared changed, or rather, solidified over this incident, but my feelings about Jensen haven't and won't. Probably because I think he's been protecting and keeping the peace with Jared for a long time. I don't believe the friendship is what it once was, and what is there is completely one-sided as far as loyalty and support go. But above all, Jensen is a professional, and if he signs on for the cons, he's going to give the fans what they paid for. Maybe 'scheduling' will require them to have some solo panels (if we should be so lucky ;)).

A lot of fans have wanted solo panels for a long time, if for no other reason than to shake things up and stop getting the same lame "pranking" questions, for instance, and eliminate the problem of having someone dominate the conversation. Plus, the guys are doing different things, have different projects to discuss. It would give each the time to do that. So yeah, solo panels in the future would be a really good thing if Creation would consider that.

However, if not the men will perform their duty. It's what they're paid to do.

Bottom line, we don't know the details of the contract because we're not part of it. But a lot of months of legwork were put into it just to get it to this very early germ of a stage, as these things go, and there's a lot more work to be done. That's how these things roll out.

But the announcement was supposed to be a big thing, a good thing for J&D and their production company. And it very much started out that way until someone decided to crap on it publicly and make it solely about himself on SM. A real "friend" would never have done that. Period.

Thanks for posting the virtual panel link, gonzosgirrl. I was trying to find it this morning, so yay you! Obviously JP has known for a while that J&D were working with their production company on Supernatural-adjacent projects.

And Jensen in that panel also discusses the long road to travel just to get to some kind of a contract stage, and then the more work that has to happen after that. Which is exactly where they're at right now. There's not even a script at this point, details are being hashed out. It's also clear Jensen is not under any illusion that this process is easy or that they're taking anything for granted. They know the business better than we do.

8 hours ago, ahrtee said:

As to the other question on this board, about what they're going to do with John and Mary to make them likeable/make their story interesting, in case others haven't seen it yet, I'm attaching the link to the Hypable story mentioned in Jensen's tweet above.  The latter part of the article (after all the already-known news is covered) goes into the writer's thoughts and explanations of the Winchester history according to canon, and all the questions raised by contradictions over the years,  gives some suggestions, and seems to imply that Jensen understands all the possibilities (and problems) and will address them.  It makes me feel a little more hopeful, anyway!

https://www.hypable.com/supernatural-prequel-what-to-expect-from-the-winchesters/

Thanks for this link!

• Love 9
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

My opinion of Jared changed, or rather, solidified

Not exactly a surprise, which is why this episode was so disappointing. Those that already don't like Jared or have a bias against him are going to see him in the worst possible light, and vice versa. And I'll go out on limb here and say that I don't believe for a single second that Jensen meant to slight Jared or make his contribution to SPN seem unimportant. Nor did Kripke. There were a lot of assumptions on all sides and it just kind of blew up.

A lot of this can and should be blamed on the simple fact that Chaos Machine is a new production company and doesn't have the experience to make sure that everything is lined up before announcements are made. There was zero reason that anyone should have expected that Jared wouldn't have a reaction in some way, positive or negative, about the announcement. He's the co-lead of SPN and at some point someone would ask him what he thought about the new series and why is he not involved in some way. An experienced PR team would know this and do what was necessary to head it off before the announcement was made. 

The biggest issue for many is that Jared expressed that he found out about this on Twitter. I don't doubt that he was aware that Jensen had something SPN related in the works (as expressed by the panels posted earlier) but know that something was being worked on and having an announcement without you being aware were two different things and I don't think that Jared was disingenuous about that. An experienced PR team would have expected that Jared's response would be sought out by the press and at the very least gotten in touch with his people beforehand so that there could be no claims that he was being blindsided or shut out. That way, if Jared expressed any negativity about not being included, it becomes a him problem. By assuming that he was aware of the project and wasn't going to be involved because he was busy with his own show, it became a Chaos Machine problem.

Again, it wasn't like they had to tell Jared six months before they were ready to make an announcement if they were worried about word getting out. But making sure that he was aware right beforehand was definitely feasible and in the end it doesn't really made if any of us here thinks that Jared was owed any kind of notification. He felt that he did and whether or not any of us believe that's true, by not addressing that Jared felt that he should have at least gotten a heads up, we got this tempest in a teacup that did nothing but stir up fandom resentments.

And if anything, it created more interest in the show because any publicity is good publicity. 

• Love 5

I'm pretty much an outsider to the fandom. I watched SPN for 4/5 years until I realised the plot was going to start going in circles. I like both leads a lot and looked forward to seeing them in other things. However I do follow them on twitter and occasionally notice when the fandom is going nuts.

JA has always been intensely private, we don't know what's going on in his head. JP on the other hand just lets it all out without thinking. To my mind there's been definitely red flags over the years (violence at his own pub) from JP. Seems to me like he just assumed the worst when he already knew JA was working on SPN-projects. All he had to do was read the news line by line - it was clear that this was only the greenlight to work on a script. He already knew there were projects - if he wanted to get involved this news gave him the chance to pick up the phone.

Instead he skim-read it, assumed the worst, abused (Robbie) people on Twitter.

Another red flag. JA seems very very patient to me. 

• Like 1
(edited)

19 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

And if anything, it created more interest in the show because any publicity is good publicity. 

It’ll really test that theory. Maybe that’s why they didn’t tell Padalecki. Free publicity! 

I think kripke tweeting out that Padalecki was too busy forced a response earlier (and a far more emotional one) than otherwise would’ve happened. He didn’t want it out there that he was just too busy to have anything to do with it. The legacy of supernatural is part of his appeal and kripke speaking on his behalf, giving out false info had to be publicly rebutted. 

it’s interesting that kripke had no idea that the Ackles kept Padalecki in the dark about the specifics on the reboot. 

And I completely agree with @Hana Chan that a lot of this can be chalked up to the Ackles’ being newbies at the production business. 

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 3
(edited)

44 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

A lot of this can and should be blamed on the simple fact that Chaos Machine is a new production company and doesn't have the experience to make sure that everything is lined up before announcements are made.

So...the new production company is inexperienced and doesn't know what to do or to expect. Ok, they might have made a miscalculation and JA and DA forgot or didn't want to tell JP.

But, a 40 year old man, in the industry for 20+ years, is justified in sharing his personal hurt feelings with 3 million of his 2nd closest friends before trying to call and talk to his "closest" friend? JP started the whole thing. 

JA made a work-related post about his new project. JP made a personal post about his hurt feelings replying to a "close friend" who does not interact on SM.

Edited by MAK
Delete extra word
  • Love 14
(edited)

Obviously there are two sides to the story, and we have only heard Jared's side. People who want to defend Jared are leaping to a lot of unwarranted assumptions and conclusions without really knowing the whole story, but I guess for them it is only Jared who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I doubt we will hear Jensen's side because he is not going to discuss it on social media. Bickering on twitter is not his style. Personally I think that if the whole story did come out, it is possible that what we learned would not be complimentary to Jared. It occurred to me, anyway, that it might be that Jensen is actually doing Jared a favor by not discussing it in public.

1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

He’s done it before and he’ll do it again.

Yeah, this is the real issue for me as well. And I am somewhat taken aback by those who try to brush this aspect aside by weakly saying, "Oh well, yes, that was maybe not the best way to handle things." Ya think?!!! I'm sorry, but I do not know how anyone could deny the fact that this is a pattern of behavior for Jared. He gets mad at someone, he jumps on social media to weaponize his fans against the person he is angry at, and then once the attacks against that person have really gotten going, he sends a pious little message asking them to PLEASE not "send hate". That is BS, getting his fans riled up to attack the person is the whole point.

I guess he figures it has always worked for him before as a way to get attention and sympathy, so why not? Except he miscalculated this time. It has always worked well for him before because of the huge power imbalance between him and the poor waitress or airline clerk that he is targeting. This time he went after someone who is not powerless. Fortunately it was someone who I honestly believe does not want to hurt him in any way.

I do wonder what those in the entertainment industry who have observed this whole thing are privately thinking about it. But that's something else we may never know. Speaking of which, I think Jared owes Robbie Thompson a personal apology for essentially calling him a back-stabbing coward and traitor. A PUBLIC apology, because I don't care if Jared deleted the tweet, that was a public insult and the apology should be equally public.

Edited by Bergamot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19
(edited)

Funny how Jared is the only one in the entire cast and crew that would need this extra precaution and consideration so that he doesn't "act out". The rest can be relied on to be professional adults, including Misha and Jensen. Just not him. 

I don't see anyone crying for Misha on his behalf, even though he likely didn't know either. No one's bagging on the CW, who obviously agreed with and arranged this whole thing without telling their "golden boy". The only reason the hate-train went for Jensen is because he was singled out and thrown under the bus by that same golden boy. I agree: Jensen not telling Jared is a complete non-issue, especially since we still don't know the reason.

ETA: The crux of the argument in Jared's favor is whether his hurt feelings were enough justification to put his "friends" on public blast, knowing from past experience exactly what his crazy fans would do as a result. And no, they weren't.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 13

Also forgetting that Jared posted a truly nasty tweet to his former colleague, implicitly calling him a traitor (et tu, Brute ) and literally calling him a coward. I suspect that last part is why he took it down, as that's some serious character assassination.  But it's ok because his feelings were hurt? Somehow shit never seems to stick to this guy. Nothing he does is 'too much'. Yet Jensen gets vilified for the one fucking time he had the temerity to do something for himself and his business without checking in with this diva. FFS. 

• Love 16

One thing is clear - none us know the whole story about what was going on, who really knew what, who told who what, etc. We're all responding on our personal bias. I will say that most Jared fans are giving Jensen the benefit of the doubt  and not holding it against him while there have been a lot of insults leveled at Jared by Jensen's fans. Kind of sad.

I don't see anyone agreeing that Jared responded well and that tweet to Rob was way out of line (which is why he deleted it, but unfortunately anything on the internet is forever), but he also has a right to his feelings whether we feel his sense of injury was justified or not. It's not our place to argue that he doesn't have as much right to feel a sense of propriety over SPN and its legacy as as Jensen does. And saying that it would have been smart for Chaos Machine's PR team to anticipate that Jared, who is known to respond more emotionally and has a little bit of a hair trigger should at least be given the curtesy of being notified that this was coming down the pike  if only to avoid a negative blowup doesn't mean that they feel that Jared should be placated. It's just smart business. Whenever there's a reboot, the original cast often weight in on things and they don't always show unwavering support for the new project. When Kripke himself is backtracking, trying to explain that he thought that Jared was aware and wasn't participating because he was busy on Walker, it's clear that was a oversight on their part. It's not the end of the world, but it could have been anticipated.

Again, not excusing Jared's behavior and Jensen certain should be looking out for his own career now. But this could have easily been avoided by being a little proactive and giving Jared (and Misha) the news before it it hit the media. Simply out of cutesy of one actor to the men that he'd worked with so long if nothing else.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

One thing is clear - none us know the whole story about what was going on, who really knew what, who told who what, etc. We're all responding on our personal bias. I will say that most Jared fans are giving Jensen the benefit of the doubt  and not holding it against him while there have been a lot of insults leveled at Jared by Jensen's fans. Kind of sad.

I don't see anyone agreeing that Jared responded well and that tweet to Rob was way out of line (which is why he deleted it, but unfortunately anything on the internet is forever), but he also has a right to his feelings whether we feel his sense of injury was justified or not. It's not our place to argue that he doesn't have as much right to feel a sense of propriety over SPN and its legacy as as Jensen does. And saying that it would have been smart for Chaos Machine's PR team to anticipate that Jared, who is known to respond more emotionally and has a little bit of a hair trigger should at least be given the curtesy of being notified that this was coming down the pike  if only to avoid a negative blowup doesn't mean that they feel that Jared should be placated. It's just smart business. Whenever there's a reboot, the original cast often weight in on things and they don't always show unwavering support for the new project. When Kripke himself is backtracking, trying to explain that he thought that Jared was aware and wasn't participating because he was busy on Walker, it's clear that was a oversight on their part. It's not the end of the world, but it could have been anticipated.

Again, not excusing Jared's behavior and Jensen certain should be looking out for his own career now. But this could have easily been avoided by being a little proactive and giving Jared (and Misha) the news before it it hit the media. Simply out of cutesy of one actor to the men that he'd worked with so long if nothing else.

Jensen got a lot of flack from Jared fans from what I've seen so they are hardly a meek little bunch. As did I see a lot of "Jared did nothing wrong" - which incidentally is likely why he keeps doing things that way. One can debate on whether it's better or worse that this time it did'nt hit some poor underpaid service worker but a friend.

And if a courtesy call to Misha was warranted or not - well, he didn't make a big issue out of it, did he? He made a cute tweet in response, no matter what he might have thought privately. Maybe he could be the one to serve as an example here.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

We're all responding on our personal bias. I will say that most Jared fans are giving Jensen the benefit of the doubt  and not holding it against him while there have been a lot of insults leveled at Jared by Jensen's fans. Kind of sad.

I actually disagree with this, I guess it is who you follow, as I have seen an large amount of hate from Jared fans to Jensen.  I have also seen a lot of very dedicated Jensen fans calling out his behaviour as well.

I am not going to put 15 years of following Jensen and Jared and all the times Jensen has supported Jared to one side now, we do not know the whole story and as Jensen does not air this sort of stuff on SM I guess we will never find out if it was just an error or there was something more behind it.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Comments online don't make up fandom as a whole, they're just the most vocal. I stand by my opinion that people are being overly pessimistic and it's been ramped up by Jared's shenanigans. Personally I have seen some interest online and the SPN fans that I work with were pretty excited because they love Jensen. Overall we can't say that fans don't feel the same way based off of SM and a few articles because we have no way of knowing.

The spat broke the story onto mainstream sites. It's generated buzz. Yes loads of people feel sorry for poor Jared who has been talking about the Sam centric spin off he wanted to do based on Sam's son.

7 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

The spat broke the story onto mainstream sites. It's generated buzz. Yes loads of people feel sorry for poor Jared who has been talking about the Sam centric spin off he wanted to do based on Sam's son.

Because of course then excluding (and likely further trashing) Dean would have been totally a-okay. More like the Finale. That's why I never want him to get any rights to make that.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

Because of course then excluding (and likely further trashing) Dean would have been totally a-okay. More like the Finale. That's why I never want him to get any rights to make that.

Part of his anger may be he believed he had a fallback after Walkee. He thought he could strut in and make Supernatural into San's story since Dean died.

(edited)
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Also forgetting that Jared posted a truly nasty tweet to his former colleague, implicitly calling him a traitor (et tu, Brute ) and literally calling him a coward. I suspect that last part is why he took it down, as that's some serious character assassination.  But it's ok because his feelings were hurt? Somehow shit never seems to stick to this guy. Nothing he does is 'too much'. Yet Jensen gets vilified for the one fucking time he had the temerity to do something for himself and his business without checking in with this diva. FFS. 

This. 

I couldn't have said it better myself

2 hours ago, Bergamot said:

this is the real issue for me as well. And I am somewhat taken aback by those who try to brush this aspect aside by weakly saying, "Oh well, yes, that was maybe not the best way to handle things." Ya think?!!! I'm sorry, but I do not know how anyone could deny the fact that this is a pattern of behavior for Jared. He gets mad at someone, he jumps on social media to weaponize his fans against the person he is angry at, and then once the attacks against that person have really gotten going, he sends a pious little message asking them to PLEASE not "send hate". That is BS, getting his fans riled up to attack the person is the whole point

And this too.

I guess it won't be taken seriously by some until these actions of his wind up getting someone physically hurt because the mental and emotional pain that those actions have already cost countless others is nothing next to assuaging poor JP's own hurt feelings.

It's mind boggling to me that anyone can't see how wrong and dangerous this pattern of his is, and I am out of patience with those who want to continue just brushing it aside as it "just being Jared".

So done with him and his stans and even those who purport to love both and just want things to go back to "normal" because it's starting to look to me as if that that kind of "normal" sucks for Jensen and his fans and now, even his family and their future plans, and as it did the last few years of the show; but hey it's all ok as long as JP stays at the center of attention in the press, in whatever way he can find to make that happen and if his "friend who is like a brother" to him gets hurt in the process, oh, and said friend's wife, too?...Well, it's all ok because it's "all a family thing", right?

Well, I say screw that and I most definitely would not blame Jensen one bit if he felt that way too, at this point. 

And not one apology to anyone from JP yet.

Not one-not even to Robbie Thompson, who is owed a public apology for the worst of the spew(as are the Ackles, IMO). But even if you don't think Jensen and Danneel are owed one, from what I've seen, it's felt across the board that he should publically apologize to RT.

You know families break up over this kind of shit, too, sometimes; and sometimes it's for the better and I have a huge feeling that Jensen is doing JP a great favor by not airing his and Danneel's real feelings on this matter on Twitter or the SM outlets.

But as long as Jared gets to do that, it's okay, because "that's just Jared" and we've got to keep those delusional relationships going, at all costs.

Edited by Myrelle
Editing
  • Love 10
On 6/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, ahrtee said:

The main thing I think narration will do is explain things to new viewers that SPN viewers might already know.  So that's not a Dean POV, it's just clarifying things so newbies aren't wondering what the hell is going on.  It's a shortcut, not a running commentary IMO.

To me, that sounds like an outsider's/observer's POV, not something he's particularly involved with.  But, since we don't know anything about how much of Dean is going to be involved in the storylines until (and unless) the show gets the green light and writing starts getting all insulted now doesn't make sense.  

Personally, I think Dean was put in just because the show needed a connection with SPN and a hook to get viewers to watch (Sam and Dean were going to appear in Wayward Sisters occasionally for the same reason)  and Sam wasn't included because Jared is busy with Walker.  

Yes!

Based on Jared's reaction Jensen should have Dean narrate from Purgatory where he is telling Benny about Mary and John and howBenny is the brother he always wanted but never had... you know because you always have my back. John was that kind of man...

Dean's missing Purgatory story ... betting there was a temper tantrum behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Castiels Cat said:

Yes loads of people feel sorry for poor Jared who has been talking about the Sam centric spin off he wanted to do based on Sam's son.

I haven't heard or seen this, but it would not surprise me. Perhaps his ego is so huge that he assumed this must be the direction Jensen would go, so he didn't bother keeping tabs on him. (PS.. Jared, phone lines work in both directions - did you ever call up your friend to see how/what he was doing ?). That would account for his gob-smacked reaction that Sam Winchester wasn't part of the story he was going to tell. Hmmm, the more I think about it...

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

I don't see anyone crying for Misha on his behalf, even though he likely didn't know either.

I'm 100% sure that will come in time, if, more likely when, Castiel/Misha is not part of the story, either. Or if he is, they don't get their ship validations. Right now, the enemy of my enemy and all that is shielding Jensen from most of their hate. Alas, they never leave him in peace for long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I haven't heard or seen this, but it would not surprise me. Perhaps his ego is so huge that he assumed this must be the direction Jensen would go, so he didn't bother keeping tabs on him. (PS.. Jared, phone lines work in both directions - did you ever call up your friend to see how/what he was doing ?). That would account for his gob-smacked reaction that Sam Winchester wasn't part of the story he was going to tell. Hmmm, the more I think about it...

I think it might have been in Walker press. He was milking Supernatural for all it was worth. He assumed that was the only story. Sam's. 

36 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm 100% sure that will come in time, if, more likely when, Castiel/Misha is not part of the story, either. Or if he is, they don't get their ship validations. Right now, the enemy of my enemy and all that is shielding Jensen from most of their hate. Alas, they never leave him in peace for long.

Nothing about this fandom is more true than this post, IMO. 

Jensen has gotten it in spades from both sides for a long time now, and after this, he's got to be feeling some anger-and especially now that Danneel is involved, too. 

I think people forget that he's human,  too.

• Love 6

In all of this drama, my mind goes back to the time when in vegas con 2013 some fans attacked Jared and said they have a page dedicated to “blame it on Jared” and Jensen couldn’t have it. Jensen was angry about it and asked them to stop and leave.

This is Jensen. A stand up guy. He will defend his friend even if it meant losing his fans.

in the other hand, i see Jared Initiating it.

Its sad to see. Jensen deserves better.

• Useful 1
(edited)

This is the reason I'm having a hard time with this project...all the retconning that is going to happen....

".....the idea that John and Mary were battling together and "putting it all on the line to not only save their love, but the entire world," even prior to Sam and Dean's births, is incongruous to everything that came before."

Unless this is going to be an alternate universe/world/timeline I don't know how they reconcile this with canon.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

This is the reason I'm having a hard time with this project...all the retconning that is going to happen....

".....the idea that John and Mary were battling together and "putting it all on the line to not only save their love, but the entire world," even prior to Sam and Dean's births, is incongruous to everything that came before."

Unless this is going to be an alternate universe/world/timeline I don't know how they reconcile this with canon.

I wouldn't say there would be retconning.  There isn't even a script yet.  Jensen mentioned in his tweet he was familiar with Canon.  Battling together doesn't have to mean just fighting monsters.  We know they were forced together and didn't like each other at first.  It could mean fighting to stay together long enough for Sam and Dean to be born. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I wouldn't say there would be retconning.  There isn't even a script yet.  Jensen mentioned in his tweet he was familiar with Canon.  Battling together doesn't have to mean just fighting monsters.  We know they were forced together and didn't like each other at first.  It could mean fighting to stay together long enough for Sam and Dean to be born. 

The key phrase to me was "to save the entire world".  From what? If not the supernatural then what? Nazis? Al-Qaida?

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

The key phrase to me was "to save the entire world".  From what? If not the supernatural then what? Nazis? Al-Qaida?

For that to happen, Sam and Dean have to be born.  So of course its the supernatual but there are ways to tell this story without John and Mary jumping into the Impala. 

• Love 1

Normally, I hate retconning but I would laugh and laugh and laugh if this or any project contimously farted in the face of every Dabb lol!canon ever. Like really tear it down. That would be just desserts to me after what that guy did. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

For that to happen, Sam and Dean have to be born.  So of course its the supernatual but there are ways to tell this story without John and Mary jumping into the Impala. 

It looks like we are going to have a Hallmark movie with two people that can't stand each other then fall in love then....what? Mary was the only one who was hunting. So Mary made a deal to sacrifice Sam as long as John forgets all about the Supernatural-adventures they just went on?

John has to meet Dean before they can jump into the Impala. So the mini bus?

22 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

It was the '70s.  That was a big decade for serial killers.  Charles Manson, Zodiac Killer, John Wayne Gacy.  Maybe this is how Sam's obsession with serial killers came about. Genetically.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

It was the '70s.  That was a big decade for serial killers.  Charles Manson, Zodiac Killer, John Wayne Gacy.  Maybe this is how Sam's obsession with serial killers came about. Genetically.  

That's funny I was watching CNN last night all about the serial killers of the 70's.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

It looks like we are going to have a Hallmark movie with two people that can't stand each other then fall in love then....what? Mary was the only one who was hunting. So Mary made a deal to sacrifice Sam as long as John forgets all about the Supernatural-adventures they just went on?

John has to meet Dean before they can jump into the Impala. So the mini bus?

John went to war.

His father was involved with the MOL.

There's plenty of promising content for him in just those two things. 

The surviving few MOL coming into the picture and then exiting w/o John even knowing that his birth father was a part of it would make a damned good episode, IMO. 

And then there's Dabb's favorite, the BMOL, too.

And if there's some soap stories thrown in there, too, so what?

Supernatural in it's later seasons was far more soap opera than anything else and the kids eat that up with a spoon these days.

If anyone can make this work, it would be Jensen and I'm more than willing to give it a shot for him, just as I'm sure many gave Walker a shot for JP.

And I saw many people who were dissing the reboot before it aired.

I mean let's face it, it's not that hard to be a success on the CW these days.

A million viewers and you're in the top three and even if you don't pull in that many, they'll still likely give you renewal.

• Love 2

I think it's worth a mention that as Supernatural was winding down, Jared and Jensen did not start up a production company together. Whatever the state of their friendship and professional partnership ever was or currently is (even if it's still largely great), these two men, who've worked together since 2005, didn't decide to stay in business together -- which is perfectly fine and normal. Since they didn't form a business together, it's fine and normal that Jared, who conceived of Walker as a project for Jensen, decided to keep it for himself. It's also fine and normal that when Jensen and his wife conceived of The Winchesters, they started developing it together through their company, rather than with Jared.

13 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Heya, TheGreenKnight. Getting a script commitment (especially if you already have an overall deal with one of the network's parent companies, like Jensen Ackles does, and starred on their longest-running series) is a small accomplishment. Most of the time projects die in development.

It's too early to say he wouldn't have involved/won't Jared Padalecki in any way. Nobody knows that, probably not even Jensen and Danneel, who don't have a script yet, just the idea of one. Also, Jared did know Jensen was working on something connected to Supernatural.

Jensen didn't conceive of the project with Jared. He and Danneel had the idea, so I do not understand the expectation that he would have brought Jared on at this stage. For what, exactly?

There are no roles yet (other than Mary & John), because there's no script. There's only a concept. Meanwhile, Jared is already the star and an EP on his own series, which has been renewed for a second season. It's not like he'd have time to be a working executive producer, or that he can't afford to feed and house his kids.

I truly understand why Jared felt bad learning about it on Twitter. I would, too, but if the two have the sort of relationship where Jensen should have given Jared a heads up that the announcement was coming, shouldn't that mean they also have the sort of relationship where, since Jensen didn't do so, Jared should have given him the benefit of the doubt and contacted Jensen privately, instead of calling him on the Twitter carpet?

Well-meaning people inadvertently do things that hurt the people in their lives. There was some intentionality (although granted, it was heat of the moment from an admittedly fairly emotional person) in Jared putting their dirty laundry before the public.

4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Jared knew. Maybe not what the final idea would be, but to act like he was blindsided by its existence is disingenuous at best. They talked about it on the virtual panel . His issue seemed to be more about Sam Winchester not being part of the story (never mind that Dean isn't either). But to come off like this all happened behind his back is just wrong. To throw his friend to the wolves without the benefit of any doubt after 15 years is pretty dirty. 

The above is what I feel like a lot of fans are missing.

I'm not sure Jared is missing it (and I don't mean that as a criticism of Jared). Jared's stated gripe was that his feelings were hurt when he heard about the script commitment announcement on Twitter

That's it.

The rest of the "story" comes from fandom factions, who are trying to fill in the blanks.

4 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Whether or not Jensen told Jared is not the issue IMO

THe issue is that Jared ran to a very public forum swarming with passionate fans to air his discontent. He’s done it before and he’ll do it again.  He totally knows the expected fallout  

Pick up the phone Jared. It’s what real grown up friends do.

This is very much what I mean by my 5th paragraph in response to TheGreenKnight. Since Jared knew Jensen was working on something related to SPN, and since he and Jensen are close enough in his mind, that Jensen should have told him before Deadline published the announcement, then they should also be close enough for him to know he should bring up his hurt privately to his very close friend, rather than publicly, where he knows he'll rile up an already volatile fandom.

3 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Not exactly a surprise, which is why this episode was so disappointing. Those that already don't like Jared or have a bias against him are going to see him in the worst possible light, and vice versa. And I'll go out on limb here and say that I don't believe for a single second that Jensen meant to slight Jared or make his contribution to SPN seem unimportant. Nor did Kripke. There were a lot of assumptions on all sides and it just kind of blew up.

A lot of this can and should be blamed on the simple fact that Chaos Machine is a new production company and doesn't have the experience to make sure that everything is lined up before announcements are made. There was zero reason that anyone should have expected that Jared wouldn't have a reaction in some way, positive or negative, about the announcement. He's the co-lead of SPN and at some point someone would ask him what he thought about the new series and why is he not involved in some way. An experienced PR team would know this and do what was necessary to head it off before the announcement was made. 

The biggest issue for many is that Jared expressed that he found out about this on Twitter. I don't doubt that he was aware that Jensen had something SPN related in the works (as expressed by the panels posted earlier) but know that something was being worked on and having an announcement without you being aware were two different things and I don't think that Jared was disingenuous about that. An experienced PR team would have expected that Jared's response would be sought out by the press and at the very least gotten in touch with his people beforehand so that there could be no claims that he was being blindsided or shut out. That way, if Jared expressed any negativity about not being included, it becomes a him problem. By assuming that he was aware of the project and wasn't going to be involved because he was busy with his own show, it became a Chaos Machine problem.

Again, it wasn't like they had to tell Jared six months before they were ready to make an announcement if they were worried about word getting out. But making sure that he was aware right beforehand was definitely feasible and in the end it doesn't really made if any of us here thinks that Jared was owed any kind of notification. He felt that he did and whether or not any of us believe that's true, by not addressing that Jared felt that he should have at least gotten a heads up, we got this tempest in a teacup that did nothing but stir up fandom resentments.

I appreciate what you said here, and I think it's largely right.

Just one thing, when a new-to-producing producer starts up a "production company" it's largely a legal and financial entity constructed to enter into contracts, make payments, etc., and there are tax and liability benefits to it. They probably don't have what people imagine when they hear the term "PR staff." If Chaos Machine isn't currently just Jensen, Danneel, Renee Reiff, maybe Robbie, and a few assistants right now, that's probably most of it.

Remember the Kripke Enterprises "Scrap Metal and Entertainment" logo card that appeared onscreen at the end of Supernatural episodes? Eric Kripke needed a production company as a legal thing. His family already had incorporated a scrap metal (for real) business, so he used that.

A lot of these production companies (from creators) don't have what we'd think of as PR staff, because they're going to make their products at and sell their products to studios and networks, who will own the publicity side of things, anyhow. 

2 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

Funny how Jared is the only one in the entire cast and crew that would need this extra precaution and consideration so that he doesn't "act out". The rest can be relied on to be professional adults, including Misha and Jensen. Just not him. 

I don't see anyone crying for Misha on his behalf, even though he likely didn't know either. No one's bagging on the CW, who obviously agreed with and arranged this whole thing without telling their "golden boy". The only reason the hate-train went for Jensen is because he was singled out and thrown under the bus by that same golden boy. I agree: Jensen not telling Jared is a complete non-issue, especially since we still don't know the reason.

ETA: The crux of the argument in Jared's favor is whether his hurt feelings were enough justification to put his "friends" on public blast, knowing from past experience exactly what his crazy fans would do as a result. And no, they weren't.

I don't love TV networks, or The CW in particular, but I don't think the above (in bold) is a fair characterization either of what happened, or of Jared or Jensen's relationship with the network.

Being a business, I think The CW values Jared and Jensen to the extent that Jared and Jensen can make them money. I am sure there are people at the network (and at CBS and Warner) who like them as people. I don't think Jared is some kind of golden boy to them or that Jensen is second best to them. They're people they are and/or have been in business, who have helped them make a lot of money, and with the exception Jared's drunken fight at his own bar (which is small potatoes as far as Hollywood scandals go), they're people who haven't caused them a lot of public headaches. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Look what they made of Archie comics a la Riverdale. If they csn do that, I have faith Jensen and Robbie can and have come up with a good idea for their story. 

This is a good example. I was sure that Riverdale would flop because it was based off of a goofy but endearing comic. It didn't seem like the source material would be enough for a successful show but they made it work. I have confidence that Jensen and Robbie can make a prequel work. I'm just going to ignore those that would rather tear down the idea before they can even get a running start.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

The reason I'm more excited about this project is because of the potential to retcon some John and Mary stuff. I think latter-years SPN did them dirty for little reason other than that the show had been on so long, and the writers were floundering for ideas. 

John and Mary Winchester shouldn't be saints, but I hated the show's choice to turn them from people (broken people, in John's case) with flaws who sometimes made bad choices, into something reprehensible.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

His father was involved with the MOL.

Who were all killed off when John was a child and John apparently knew nothing about them. I really think some memory wiping is going to be part of the story and I don't mean for the fans.

I really want this to be a success.  I'm a huge fan of Robbie Thompson. I think he should have been the show runner for SPN instead of Dabb.  For one he truly cares about the fans unlike Dabb and he truly loves the original story (before he wrote Slash Fiction he watched every single episode)....unlike Dabb.  I really am curious to see how he makes this all work.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm just curious-something like what? 

We know nothing of what happened other than that JP's feelings were hurt because of a perceived on his part slight by Jensen.

Everything that people think Jensen did wrong is completely speculation and based only on those tweets that JP sent out.

I'm sorry but I don't see this as giving Jensen the benefit of the doubt in any way at all and if this is how most JP/J2(?) fans are interpreting things then Jensen is better off w/o them in his sphere, AFAIC.

4 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Same with some of this.

He has "a bit of a hair trigger"? 

To me, this is by far the biggest problem in all of this and yet it's getting completely swept under the carpet again.

He's had big time anger management issues for some time now, and that's likely not all.

And normal regular people(even PR people and yes, even Jensen)are not always going to think, first and foremost, better let so and so know everything beforehand, so as to head off any hurt feelings or problems he might have with a project that's still in it'smost infant stages-and especially if he had some faith that those closest to him would be just as happy for him as he would be for them, and has shown himself to be time and time again. 

And/or if he felt that JP did already have an idea and was aware that he was working towards a SPN-themed project and as we saw them talking about in that virtual panel in March.

I gotta say that I'd bet money that JP wasn't the only one who felt blindsided and betrayed by a brother here, but he didn't question it or vent on social media because he IS too well aware of how ugly it can get when this fandom becomes involved.

See that's giving Jensen the benefit of the doubt to me while also recognizing that JP is entitled to his feelings, but also recognizing that he stiil has pretty big anger management issues if his first thought was to use his twitter account(which he knows by this time has no few unbalanced fans attached to it) as the first means to problem solve anything, really, but a personal matter with a friend or loved one, especially. 

The dude still needs help and trying to throw even part of the blame on Jensen for that aspect of it is another real  problem, AFAIC.

And I can't tell you how many fans on Twitter feel that JP had every right to respond on Twitter because that was where he supposedly and purportedly first heard of it-and which we now know could have only been his own perception of that, while Jensen's could have been that he knew about it already, or at least knew enough in Jensen's mind(from the conversation on the virtual panel)for the time beind and especially because they were in such early stages of the negotiations. 

From what I've seen most JP fans have already tried Jensen, judged him guilty of starting everything, and sentenced him to being the main cause of the "divorce", while most J2 fans just want to say everyone screwed up, like most  "families" do sometimes, but it's over now so let's get back to the lovefest part.

And most JA fans I've seen? 

They've had more than enough and just want the "divorce" to be finalized for well and good, at this point, because nothing is ever going to change between these two and frankly, at this point, they see it almost as dysfunctional as the fictional relationship that we had on the show.

As do I.

I know this was long, but man, when I read that part about giving Jensen "the benefit of the doubt" and JP being  an emotional guy with again, "a bit of a hair trigger" I just had to say something.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

The whole thing just makes me kinda sad and weirdly uncomfortable/embarrassed. IMO regardless of your opinion of whether Chaos Machine could have predicted or handled it better Jareds posts are inexcuseable, and Jensen's followup has been nothing but professional class as always

This post renews my faith in humanity some. 

So thanks for that, Pink Chicken. 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Myrelle said:
32 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

And I can't tell you how many fans on Twitter feel that JP had every right to respond on Twitter because that was where he supposedly and purportedly first heard of it-and which we now know could have only been his own perception of that, while Jensen's could have been that he knew about it already, or at least knew enough in Jensen's mind(from the conversation on the virtual panel)for the time beind and especially because they were in such early stages of the negotiations. 

From what I've seen most JP fans have already tried Jensen, judged him guilty of starting everything, and sentenced him to being the main cause of the "divorce", while most J2 fans just want to say everyone screwed up, like most  "families" do sometimes, but it's over now so let's get back to the lovefest part.

And most JA fans I've seen? 

They've had more than enough and just want the "divorce" to be finalized for well and good, at this point, because nothing is ever going to change between these two and frankly, at this point, they see it almost as dysfunctional as the fictional relationship that we had on the show.

The fact of the matter is, that nobody, outside of themselves and their families knows the actual circumstances and noone has any business projecting their feelings and expectations on people they don't know and situations they aren't personally involved in.

They will decide how they want to handle this and if they want to continue their friendship.

As usual it's their so called "fans" (on both sides) who insist on continuing to stir the pot and keep the conflict going.

Leave them alone, stop going on about it and let them figure it out.

This makes less and less sense the longer it goes on. There are tons speculation but when one thing pops up that explains it another pops up and contradicts it. I never heard that Jared was thinking about a Sam/son Dean show but that would explain his anger over Jensen getting a shot at the show before him. I've heard a lot of people say the attack on Robbie was because he chose the Winchesters over Walker, that would make a lot of sense. I want to believe Kripke didn't know that Jared was out of the loop but I don't know how that is possible. I don't believe Jensen would have lied to him and I really don't understand how US magazine and other internet sites are using titles like Jensen makes amends like he is the bad guy in all of this. I want to believe someone above all of them stepped in to fix this and had Kripke remove his tweets, J2 post they are still brothers then shut everyone up until this calms down and goes away. 

Maybe all it is was Jared throwing a tantrum for no reason at all. One thing for sure is this was suppose to get people excited and start the ball rolling towards the goal of a new Supernatural series. That was ruined the first night. Best shot now is for everyone to stay quiet and re-launch this in a few months.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Anywhoo said:

As usual it's their so called "fans" (on both sides) who insist on continuing to stir the pot and keep the conflict going.

IA.

And that's why they never should have been brought into in the first place. 

And that's the second biggest revelation(for wont of a better term)that should be coming out of this whole mess, IMO. 

I just think that it continues to be a real problem and challenge for many in this fandom, and one of its main players also, to accept and/or make changes concerning.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I don't see anyone agreeing that Jared responded well and that tweet to Rob was way out of line (which is why he deleted it, but unfortunately anything on the internet is forever), but he also has a right to his feelings whether we feel his sense of injury was justified or not.

I'll be the rare voice of dissent on that point then, because I don't think there was anything wrong with what Padalecki said. He doesn't owe it to the Ackles to be professional any more than they owed it to him to involve him in a Supernatural-related project, apparently. And how the other actors choose to act is their business, but that's also an apples and oranges comparison. Sam and Dean were always the main leads across all fifteen seasons, not Castiel and Bobby.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'll be the rare voice of dissent on that point then, because I don't think there was anything wrong with what Padalecki said. He doesn't owe it to the Ackles to be professional any more than they owed it to him to involve him in a Supernatural-related project, apparently. And how the other actors choose to act is their business, but that's also an apples and oranges comparison. Sam and Dean were always the main leads across all fifteen seasons, not Castiel and Bobby.

Yes, Jared doesn't owe anyone the need to be professional.  But if you call yourself a professional and want to be treated like one, you behave like one in public.   You can do or say whatever you want BTS.

BTW, my definition--which may not be the standard one--is that being professional means not letting your personal feelings get in the way of business.  So while Jared isn't involved in this particular business and doesn't have to be professional in this case, he should at least recognize that his behavior will impact the way others (including studio bigwigs) view him.  And quite frankly, I think once Sam Winchester ages out of the target demographic, Jared, especially with his diva-like behavior, will have a harder time finding work than Jensen, who is able to accept setbacks graciously and willing to try a variety of roles.  

• Love 11