Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

I get why JP thought he deserved at least a courtesy call I really do and I would agree to a certain extent, but it still doesn't justify a public tantrum and "Et Tu, Brute?!" at RT comes across as both stupid and entitled. 

He knew that JA was looking into developing other SPN stuff, okay it came as a shock it got this far without him knowing but that's the sort of thing you work out in private not by having a twitter blow out and then coming back the next day thanking people "for the love" but #bekind to everyone. Especially when you already have another successful show on the network and are busy with that. 

I do wonder if this is partly about wanting a producers credit.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I do wonder if this is partly about wanting a producers credit. 

Money, money, money. I bet that's exactly what the big stink is about. So pick up the fucking phone and call your "brother" and tell him if he needs an extra producer to get this project off the ground to call you, don't go on social media and dog whistle about being gutted.

Edited by foxfreakinmulder
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Death threats from the crazies is nothing new (anyone remember the bag full of rusty fish hooks?). That's been happening forever. They have plenty of protection and they are living the lives that a lot of celebrities have to live. They are fine.

I'm guessing the 12 year olds will move on to some other drama soon.

Yes, but this time the shit storm was encouraged by someone who is supposedly like family to them and those posts are still up!

I don't know how Jensen isn't livid right now.

Unlike some, if I found out that the whole "everything is all better now, folks" was just for PR, I'd actually feel better about this.

But we won't, of course, because the "show" must go on, apparently forever-and I'm not talking about Supernatural or any incarnation of it here. 

So. Disgusted. by this that I now need a break from it-for my own health and well-being.

I feel like I've been swimming in a cesspool since JP tweeted.

• Love 3

I think the way Jensen handled all of this was brilliant. It looks like he really was unhappy with the show and Dean's treatment in the Dabb years and for what ever reason decided to pull the plug. With contracts, friendships and other claims on the show he really was limited in what he could do power wise. He had input but obviously couldn't get the stories or finale he wanted. 

So he ended the show and at some point started gathering his allies. He formed a production company, joined the WB, grabbed Thompson and headed straight to Kripke. That meeting seemed to go so well that he handed Jensen the keys to the Supernatural kingdom. At this point only a few people were allowed to know what was happening and I bet the CW was involved so NDA's were probably signed. 

Now Jared was doing his own thing and probably thought Walker was the big move. He may have never even thought getting Supernatural was an option. So in the beginning he was getting all the press, the ratings for Walker are good and he was in the spotlight. But as the months went on the spotlight went right back to Jensen with The Boys and Batman and now Supernatural. Jared had a lot of influence and power with Dabb and got the story lines and ending to the show he wanted. Now Jensen has all the power and that may be what set him off. There was also speculation on Reddit that Jared wanted Robbie for Walker but unknown to him he was working with Jensen. Don't know if that makes sense or not but Jared's tweet was particularly mean and personal. 

So now it looks like Jensen controls Supernatural and since it has been announced he may have been allowed to let Jared know what the future plans are. And I bet those plans include a Sam/Dean series on HBOMax in a few years which is probably why he changed his tune. I think this was one of the greatest power grabs in entertainment history. It seems like the first thing Jensen decided to do was fix the mess made by Dabb by repairing John who Dabb tore down and rehabilitating Mary after Dabb made a large group of fans hate her. 

So in conclusion, this is the most excited I've been for Supernatural since the Carver years. I really look forward seeing Jensen's version of Supernatural with a team hand picked by him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

It seems like the first thing Jensen decided to do was fix the mess made by Dabb by repairing John who Dabb tore down and rehabilitating Mary after Dabb made a large group of fans hate her.

Not even Robbie Thompson can erase the hatred the fans have for Mary (I think there was a huge cheer around the globe when Jack disintegrated her). Dabb crammed that down our throats for 3 years.  John has been despised from S1. I just don't think that story is going to have any legs.

There hasn't been a lot of positive reaction to this potential series from fans (in fact I haven't seen any). I really can't imagine how these characters are going to be retconned to make them  palatable....especially Mary.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Not even Robbie Thompson can erase the hatred the fans have for Mary (I think there was a huge cheer around the globe when Jack disintegrated her). Dabb crammed that down our throats for 3 years.  John has been despised from S1. I just don't think that story is going to have any legs.

There hasn't been a lot of positive reaction to this potential series from fans (in fact I haven't seen any). I really can't imagine how these characters are going to be retconned to make them  palatable....especially Mary.

The young versions of each character aren't that hated though. From what I've seen there is a distinction in fan's minds between those and the older ones.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

The young versions of each character aren't that hated though. From what I've seen there is a distinction in fan's minds between those and the older ones.

Maybe but now we know that Mary had been hunting while Dean was an infant/toddler. And the abandonment issues were born? Not a great premise for a show.

Well I guess I’m all alone in a fascination with John and Mary the early years. With Jensen at the helm I think he’d tell a good story. But it’s going to have to be for grown ups which is rarely the case with the CW and it’s pretty people lineups and simplistic storylines.  It’s a shame it likely won’t fly especially now with this Jared and his “rit of fealous jage” Twitter debacle.

And just like Sam he never apologizes!

• Love 8
Just now, Casseiopeia said:

Maybe but now we know that Mary had been hunting while Dean was an infant/toddler. And the abandonment issues were born? Not a great premise for a show.

Not every show needs squeaky clean cut perfect characters.  They need interesting ones. Homelander is my favorite character on the boys and he really had no redeeming qualities, but Antony is a fantastic actor who builds those layers an doesn't make him feel like a mustache twirling villian.  Whether you like, love, or hate John, IMO, he was good character an the dynamics between him and his sons made the show.  

Dean said their marriage was only perfect after Mary died.  I'm guessing the show will address this.  

Mary and John were totally 2 different people before they were caught up in Heaven and Hell and they were literally forced together.  

There is potential here.  

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Not every show needs squeaky clean cut perfect characters.  They need interesting ones. Homelander is my favorite character on the boys and he really had no redeeming qualities, but Antony is a fantastic actor who builds those layers an doesn't make him feel like a mustache twirling villian.  Whether you like, love, or hate John, IMO, he was good character an the dynamics between him and his sons made the show.  

Dean said their marriage was only perfect after Mary died.  I'm guessing the show will address this.  

Mary and John were totally 2 different people before they were caught up in Heaven and Hell and they were literally forced together.  

There is potential here.  

I agree. It’s still in the early stages so I don’t get where all of the pessimism is coming from. The premise sounds interesting and the only reason why we’re not hearing much enthusiasm about the project right now is because Jared took the spotlight off of the show itself so that everyone could focus on him instead.

• Love 8

Why do most people assume it's going to be a happy show?

I am not a Mary apologist. Her character since S12 was awful. She died looking at her 6 month old and woke up to see her now 38? year old, with no sense of time passing.  People do meet their children for the first time when children are adults, but they are aware that years have passed in between. Maybe she just needed therapy? She was written very badly as she added nothing to the overall story of the show. (Except for the wonderful scene by JA!)

John changed after Mary's death. His whole world view and value system burned with Mary.

John and Mary before 1983 were vastly different from the characters shown during SPN, even with the time travel episodes.

Yes, Mary kept hunting after she had Dean, so probably after she got married as well. John was going through his own trauma. Both flawed and complex characters. Supposedly the show would start when they met or before, so never before shown on SPN.

Why can't they be interesting even staying within canon? 

• Love 4

Selling a John and Mary show was an uphill battle from day one. What I'm way more excited about is that not only is Jensen still invested in Supernatural but now has control over it no matter what form it takes. It's obvious he has been building relationships since they announced the show was ending. The CW loves him, the media loves him, Supernatural's final season was the CW's highest rated show and there was a long line of former co-workers lining up to work with him again. It also appears that Jensen has some issues with the final seasons of the show and wants to take his shot at fixing them. What ever we get, you know Jensen is going to be hands on. He will approve the scripts, the  casting where the story goes. He will probably even direct some episodes. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Well I guess I’m all alone in a fascination with John and Mary the early years. With Jensen at the helm I think he’d tell a good story. But it’s going to have to be for grown ups which is rarely the case with the CW and it’s pretty people lineups and simplistic storylines.  It’s a shame it likely won’t fly especially now with this Jared and his “rit of fealous jage” Twitter debacle.

No, you really aren't alone in wanting to see where Jensen took this storyline, especially with Robbie as the head writer. Though I would have preferred it to go straight to HBOMax and not to the CW. I really don't want Jensen anywhere near the CW again. And I also would have liked a much darker take on the characters, which could better happen on HBOMax.

But, someone's meltdown has overshadowed everything.

• Love 8

I have faith that Jensen will stay true to the original SPN.  I know how invested he is/was with all the characters and will try to honor them and the original story.  

I also think, no matter how much I disliked later John and Mary, that the earlier versions of them were much more likeable, with potential for complexity (especially if Mary was still hunting and John didn't know.)  

For me, there are two issues that may cause Jensen problems, but hopefully he can work them out:

First, the casting.  They have to be very strong, very complex characters.  Which leads me to the second potential problem:  In 1972, both John and Mary were only 18 years old.  So the challenge to me will be to how to fight the CW so they don't turn into typical CW-pretty/angsty teenagers who fight monsters. 

Remember, they met in 1972 and Mary's parents were killed in 1973.  But, according to Dean in Keep Calm and Carry On, they weren't married until 1975, so that leaves two years when Mary was presumably fighting monsters on her own?  Or with other Campbell family members? while engaged to John, which can turn soap-opera-ish/CW-ish very quickly.   I can only hope that Jensen and Robbie can handle it.  

And, of course, it all depends on if it gets green-lighted at all.  A friend of mine who has never watched SPN but knows I did sent me an email yesterday talking about the fallout from Jared's tweet, so even people who don't know either character (or actor) have been impacted by the talk.  I don't know if that will end up good or bad, based on the "any publicity is good," theory.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

And, of course, it all depends on if it gets green-lighted at all.  A friend of mine who has never watched SPN but knows I did sent me an email yesterday talking about the fallout from Jared's tweet, so even people who don't know either character (or actor) have been impacted by the talk.  I don't know if that will end up good or bad, based on the "any publicity is good," theory.  

If Jared's twitter tantrum is what ends up costing J&D, Chaos Machine, Robbie Thompson, and everyone else attached to the project this contract, there should be legal ramifications.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

If Jared's twitter tantrum is what ends up costing J&D, Chaos Machine, Robbie Thompson, and everyone else attached to the project this contract, there should be legal ramifications.

I don't know what legal ramifications there could be for someone expressing his feelings--not even about the show or any of the people involved--but just his own hurt feelings.  Unfortunately, the fact that he should know how negatively his fans would react doesn't make any difference legally.  All it does is take all the attention away from the project and onto himself.  

ETA: Of course, there may still be personal and possibly even professional ramifications.  I imagine studios wouldn't be thrilled at someone who publicly torpedoes a project just because his feelings were hurt.  Jared may have trouble finding work after Walker.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Its not only Jensen and Robbie, it's Kripke. Kipke has given this to Chaos Machine and he will benefit from what ever comes out of it. I'm sure his backtracking is due to him understanding that or someone explaining to him that you don't piss off the creator of the show. Kripke's "other is off rangering" tweet is a nice way of saying he isn't giving Jared any say in Supernatural's future what so ever. 

I'm really starting to wonder if this all sprang from Jensen's call to Kripke when he was having so much trouble with the finale. If why Jensen changed his tune and became the good soldier was he knew he would be given the franchise. It would explain why Jared was so blindsided. He sided with Dabb and thought he could end Supernatural on his terms while Jensen was secretly taking the franchise away from everyone. Jared went with Dabb and Jensen went with Kripke. Jared was simply out played.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

I agree. It’s still in the early stages so I don’t get where all of the pessimism is coming from. The premise sounds interesting and the only reason why we’re not hearing much enthusiasm about the project right now is because Jared took the spotlight off of the show itself so that everyone could focus on him instead.

I read nothing but negative comments no matter where I looked about the premise for the show and that's not counting all the comments about beating a dead horse. The tiff between J2  has nothing to do with the pessimism among fans. That started the moment the spinoff was announced.

My own opinion has nothing to do with DramaNatural. I think it's going to be a very deep hole Dabb dug for any story having to do with Mary much less the 15 years of negativity towards John. I know that Jensen loves these two characters considering his characters complicated relationship with them but I just don't think fans are feeling the same way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

I really only see Mary hatred among extremely online Supernatural fans. To a person, the SPN fans I know in real life like Mary. I know I do, too.

I think Jared's temper tantrum really fucked up the online reception of this prequel concept, but that should pass with time, now that everyone, including Kripke, has licked Jared's boots.

Of course Kripke has since deleted.

285299584_ScreenShot2021-06-26at2_31_24PM.thumb.png.d6cd21abe8dc037f88c655af6f0db70d.png

1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

You're not alone.

57 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

No, you really aren't alone in wanting to see where Jensen took this storyline, especially with Robbie as the head writer. Though I would have preferred it to go straight to HBOMax and not to the CW. I really don't want Jensen anywhere near the CW again. And I also would have liked a much darker take on the characters, which could better happen on HBOMax.

But, someone's meltdown has overshadowed everything.

I don't think The CW has a problem with Jensen or vice versa. I think Dabb et al favored the Sam character, but Mark Pedowitz is an unapologetic fan of SPN and of Jensen and Jared.

I completely agree with you about the meltdown, though.

27 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

I think Jared's behavior sucked, but I don't think you can sue someone for saying that his feelings were hurt when he found out about The Winchesters project via tweet. He even deleted his nasty tweet to Robbie Thompson PDQ.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh wow, now Kripke has deleted his original tweet congratulating Jensen, Danneel, and Robbie AND his apology to Jared (in which he kind of threw Jensen under the bus).

This is Supernatural season 16, isn't it?

1734484991_ScreenShot2021-06-26at2_39_21PM.thumb.png.c4f9e59e842604b175f26cc1dc9a9e44.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 2.39.46 PM.png

Edited by General Days
deleted duplicate image
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, General Days said:

Oh wow, now Kripke has deleted his original tweet congratulating Jensen, Danneel, and Robbie AND his apology to Jared (in which he kind of threw Jensen under the bus).

This is Supernatural season 16, isn't it?

1734484991_ScreenShot2021-06-26at2_39_21PM.thumb.png.c4f9e59e842604b175f26cc1dc9a9e44.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 2.39.46 PM.png

I wish we could just say everyone fucked up and move on but...

• Love 2

So Kripke co-pilots the bus Jared ran over Jensen with, then runs away when not everyone falls at his feet with thanks over it? He can fuck off right along with the whiny baby he was mollifying with his tweet.

• Love 5
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I wish we could just say everyone fucked up and move on but...

Tempest/teacup, mountain/molehill. But the upshot is that the original story has been completely overshadowed/overlooked, and Jared is getting all the publicity and all the sympathy.  ☹️

And everyone involved (especially the fans) have to learn the difference between supporting and enabling.

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

Tempest/teacup, mountain/molehill. But the upshot is that the original story has been completely overshadowed/overlooked, and Jared is getting all the publicity and all the sympathy.  ☹️

And everyone involved (especially the fans) have to learn the difference between supporting and enabling.

Not that I'm seeing. There are only two factions that warring over the J2 debacle. Everyone else is talking about the spinoff itself.  Neither Jared or Jensen are winning the "war" over who did what to who in the fandom. It's just family drama. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ILoveReading said:

Which I feel is exactly what he wanted.  Jensen has gotten a lot of press lately

True.  And every time they mention Jared, they also mention Walker, so it's double bonus.

1 minute ago, Casseiopeia said:

Not that I'm seeing. There are only two factions that warring over the J2 debacle. Everyone else is talking about the spinoff itself.  Neither Jared or Jensen are winning the "war" over who did what to who in the fandom. It's just family drama. 

True also.  But the fans are the only real ammunition in this "war".  They're the reason (sorry, boys) that their shows get picked up.  In this case, though, the overall SPN fans will hopefully outweigh the individual J fans.  (No, I'm not insulting either of their abilities; just that they bring a ready-built-in audience to their projects, which is what is currency to the bigwigs.)  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

True also.  But the fans are the only real ammunition in this "war".  They're the reason (sorry, boys) that their shows get picked up.  In this case, though, the overall SPN fans will hopefully outweigh the individual J fans.  (No, I'm not insulting either of their abilities; just that they bring a ready-built-in audience to their projects, which is what is currency to the bigwigs.)  

Well looking at it mathematically then we have Jensen fans, Robbie fans and Kripke fans plus all the other fans that just love Supernatural unconditionally. That should be a recipe for at least a successful launch of the series.

I will definitely watch but I have reservations about the subject matter. If anyone can pull it off it would be Robbie though.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, General Days said:

I think Jared's behavior sucked, but I don't think you can sue someone for saying that his feelings were hurt when he found out about The Winchesters project via tweet. He even deleted his nasty tweet to Robbie Thompson PDQ.

Exactly. I don't agree who how Jared chose to express his upset and being left in the dark about a new SPN project because it wasn't done well. Again, social media can be a real pitfall because you can lash out and then have to walk it back once you cool down. But I don't blame him for being upset that he wasn't advised that this project was in the works and that there would be no focus on Sam or Dean (outside of Dean appearing as a narrator via Jensen). If he and Jensen had spoken about being willing to do an SPN spin off at a later date, it's understandable that he would have at least been advised that there was something in the works. 

Kripke also blew it. I get that he's personally closer to Jensen and that they worked together on The Boys, but Jared was still one of the co-leads on SPN and his assumption that Jared  couldn't be involved because of Walker when Jared didn't know that the spinoff was seriously in the works was a huge oversight on his part. Yes, Robbie and Jensen deserved an apology for Jared taking this to social media, but Jared did deserve an apology for this kind of oversight. I thought from his posts (outside the one to Robbie which was, I agree, really out line) that 1) he was happy for Jensen doing this, 2) that he's sad that Sam won't be a part of the show and 3) that he was shocked because while he might have known that this was in the works in an abstract manner, he had no clue that they were ready to make a big announcement. 

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the matter. Maybe Jared wasn't owed (as in legally) notification prior to the announcement since he's not involved in The Winchesters. Would it have been the right thing for Jensen, Robbie and Kripie to tell him before the announcement? Definitely. At the very least, they would have had a clean announcement drop and if Jared was asked what he thought (since the media would have asked the other lead of the original series what he thought), Jared could have given his full public support. Instead we got this 24 hour mess that once again pits Jensen's fans against Jared's for no good reason. There are times when you take the extra step, even when you don't think you should have too just out of respect for the work that others have done.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Something here isn't tracking. Jensen said the first thing his company wanted to do was this series. The company was announced in October and Jensen was probably thinking about this way before the announcement. Jensen had to get with Robbie at some point early on and then a some point everyone had to get together with Kripke. 

Kripke's tweet was they all got together and he loved the idea and gave his blessing. So once Jensen got that he was able to negotiate with the CW get his script commitment and proceed until Thursday when they announced. So, in all that time, Kripke just assumed Jared knew about it and Jensen was keeping him in the loop. That makes it sound like there were no NDA's and Jensen was intentionally leaving Jared in the dark. Here's the thing, there had to be a massive amount of paperwork and contracts for this to become what it has and it takes a long time to get to this point. Kripke had to know Jared wasn't involved and I can't believe Jensen was implying that he had Jared's blessing. Kripke deleting everything  just seems like he is telling Jensen that he got what he wanted and it's his problem now.

• Useful 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Lastcall said:

Something here isn't tracking. Jensen said the first thing his company wanted to do was this series. The company was announced in October and Jensen was probably thinking about this way before the announcement. Jensen had to get with Robbie at some point early on and then a some point everyone had to get together with Kripke. 

Kripke's tweet was they all got together and he loved the idea and gave his blessing. So once Jensen got that he was able to negotiate with the CW get his script commitment and proceed until Thursday when they announced. So, in all that time, Kripke just assumed Jared knew about it and Jensen was keeping him in the loop. That makes it sound like there were no NDA's and Jensen was intentionally leaving Jared in the dark. Here's the thing, there had to be a massive amount of paperwork and contracts for this to become what it has and it takes a long time to get to this point. Kripke had to know Jared wasn't involved and I can't believe Jensen was implying that he had Jared's blessing. Kripke deleting everything  just seems like he is telling Jensen that he got what he wanted and it's his problem now.

Jensen talked at length about having an SPN project in the works during the virtual con panel, and Jared nodded along, inviting himself to be part of it at the end. He 100% knew they were working on something - just not that Sam Winchester wouldn't be part of it. He's a disingenuous a-hole to imply otherwise.

https://twitter.com/PepperNSalt13/status/1408817324954578950?s=20

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

I'm squarely Team Jensen in this matter.

That said, the NDA excuse is a red herring, as far as the public side of this hullaballoo is concerned. Jensen is quoted in Nellie Andreeva's June 24th Deadline article on The CW's script order.

If you read Deadline and network press releases enough (I have professional experience in this area), it's pretty easy to tell when a Deadline writer has tweaked or repurposed a boilerplate press release that originated at a network (<- in this example I can't link you to the release on the AMC press site, because that site is password protected, but Futon Critic just copies and pastes the release). This ain't that, and not just because networks don't put out press releases every time they order a script (but they don't and did not in this case). 

Andreeva writes:

“After Supernatural wrapped its 15th season, we knew it wasn’t over. Because like we say in the show, ‘nothing ever really ends, does it?'” Jensen Ackles told Deadline. “When Danneel and I formed Chaos Machine Productions, we knew the first story we wanted to tell was the story of John and Mary Winchester, or rather the Supernatural origin story. I always felt like my character, Dean, would have wanted to know more about his parents’ relationship and how it came to be. So I love the thought of having him take us on this journey.”

Note the above wording: "Jensen Ackles told Deadline." A network press release will often have quotes from stars or executive producers, but when a business rag repurposes those releases, they don't concoct false claims like "Jensen Ackles told Deadline." Instead, they'll write "According to Jensen Ackles, 'Blah blah Winchesters'," or something similar.

"Told Deadline" is our clue that Jensen contacted Deadline to put out the story, which he would do as head or co-head of his production company.

Lots of times, smaller and newer production companies don't have a big press shop yet. It's safe to assume that's the case with Chaos Machine Productions. It's still a baby.

[Whoever] at smaller production companies will often use Deadline to make their press release, if a network isn't ready to send out one of these bad boys (you'll note The CW has not published a press release regarding The Winchesters script order).

At the point Jensen was legally free to tell Deadline, who would then tell the world, he was also legally free to tell Jared. He was certainly legally free to tell Jared before he retweeted Deadline.

I think maybe he didn't tell Jared, because he thought Jared would cause drama, and he at least wanted to break the news, before Jared acted a fool.

I think Jensen and Danneel created this together, and want it to be their own thing, and there's nothing more wrong with that, than there is with Jared developing his Walker reboot as a vehicle for Jensen, but then keeping it for himself instead.

1228014128_ScreenShot2021-06-26at1_55_29PM.thumb.png.0b3add8a8c89b6e0bb90f4255044c642.png

2047998611_ScreenShot2021-06-26at1_55_51PM.thumb.png.09a167306f11e1ba59573c97789aef19.png

They're artists. They are creating, and they have to go where their muses take them. They're also selling that art, and they need to do certain things to promote it. 

All things being equal, it would have been nice if Jensen told Jared first, but maybe all things aren't equal. Maybe Jensen had good reason not to do so. Jared's behavior makes me think that's true.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

I read nothing but negative comments no matter where I looked about the premise for the show and that's not counting all the comments about beating a dead horse. The tiff between J2  has nothing to do with the pessimism among fans. That started the moment the spinoff was announced.

My own opinion has nothing to do with DramaNatural. I think it's going to be a very deep hole Dabb dug for any story having to do with Mary much less the 15 years of negativity towards John. I know that Jensen loves these two characters considering his characters complicated relationship with them but I just don't think fans are feeling the same way.

Comments online don't make up fandom as a whole, they're just the most vocal. I stand by my opinion that people are being overly pessimistic and it's been ramped up by Jared's shenanigans. Personally I have seen some interest online and the SPN fans that I work with were pretty excited because they love Jensen. Overall we can't say that fans don't feel the same way based off of SM and a few articles because we have no way of knowing.

• Love 5

Jensen updated his profile page on Twitter.

Just soldiering on

ja.png

If Jared had an ounce of class he would respond to one of those tweets (Jensen tweeted twice) with something supportive. But if pigs had wings.... 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Just soldiering on

ja.png

If Jared had an ounce of class he would respond to one of those tweets (Jensen tweeted twice) with something supportive. But if pigs had wings.... 

It's about time. I like it!

He also posted one more tweet for the day. Sorry, I don't know how to imbed!

Upbeat, professional - rising above it. Best thing to do.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DeeDee79 said:

Comments online don't make up fandom as a whole, they're just the most vocal. I stand by my opinion that people are being overly pessimistic and it's been ramped up by Jared's shenanigans. Personally I have seen some interest online and the SPN fans that I work with were pretty excited because they love Jensen. Overall we can't say that fans don't feel the same way based off of SM and a few articles because we have no way of knowing.

We don't know how it is going to be received that's true. There was a lot of pessimism for Walker as well.  And that turned out just fine.

I think it will be successful. Robbie has been working on the concept since before the pandemic shut everything down. I think he will do a great job.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I'm squarely Team Jensen in this matter.

That said, the NDA excuse is a red herring, as far as the public side of this hullaballoo is concerned. Jensen is quoted in Nellie Andreeva's June 24th Deadline article on The CW's script order.

If you read Deadline and network press releases enough (I have professional experience in this area), it's pretty easy to tell when a Deadline writer has tweaked or repurposed a boilerplate press release that originated at a network (<- in this example I can't link you to the release on the AMC press site, because that site is password protected, but Futon Critic just copies and pastes the release). This ain't that, and not just because networks don't put out press releases every time they order a script (but they don't and did not in this case). 

I liked your post. All most of us have to go on are the tweets, rumors and reading between the lines. All of this, particularly the Kripke tweets, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So some questions to anyone that may know. Who gave Jensen and Chaos Machine the rights to do this? I had assumed Kripke has ownership but if he was kept out of the loop about Jared then maybe he doesn't have the amount power I thought he does. Could the WB deal give Jensen the rights to do any Supernatural project he wants? Who actually owns Supernatural now?

Right now, all we have is...Jensen and Danneel wanted this as their first project, Robbie was brought in, they got Kripke's blessing, they got a script order and Jared had a blow up because no one told him.

2 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

We don't know how it is going to be received that's true. There was a lot of pessimism for Walker as well.  And that turned out just fine.

There's a big difference between Walker and The Winchesters and that is Jared. We can't ignore the fact that the major reason that SPN was so successful for so long was due Jensen and Jared, the characters they played and the chemistry between the two of them. Without them being on the screen, there's no telling if the audience will stick around for more than a few episodes.

And this is to credit both Jared and Jensen, that they took a show that normally would only last a few seasons to being one of the longest running programs in television. They elevated the show past crappy storylines and problematic seasons and were the heart and soul of the show. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Hana Chan said:

There's a big difference between Walker and The Winchesters and that is Jared. We can't ignore the fact that the major reason that SPN was so successful for so long was due Jensen and Jared, the characters they played and the chemistry between the two of them. Without them being on the screen, there's no telling if the audience will stick around for more than a few episodes.

And this is to credit both Jared and Jensen, that they took a show that normally would only last a few seasons to being one of the longest running programs in television. They elevated the show past crappy storylines and problematic seasons and were the heart and soul of the show. 

Walker picked up a lot of apparently much older viewers than the CW normally had. That was due to the brand name recognition. If it was just a randon procedural-esque soap opera on the CW, I doubt it would have done as well.

That's why Hollywood is currently rebooting everything ever made ever. The CW itself has two other reboot-esque shows currently on. 

• Love 3
Just now, Hana Chan said:

You won't get any argument from that J2 were the heart and soul of Supernatural. Most fans were fans because of that dynamic. Walker is doing well by CW standards. My point was that there were a lot of negative comments about that show long before anyone saw one minute of one episode. We don't know what Robbie and Jensen have in mind for this reimagining of Mary and John's story. All I am saying and all I have seen for the last 10 years (the last 4 more so for Mary) is that John and Mary aren't the most popular characters on SPN. John has been described as an abusive ass and Mary was particularly assassinated by Dabb into the worst Mom who ever Mom'ed.  I am dam curious to see how they make these two likable.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lastcall said:

The company was announced in October and Jensen was probably thinking about this way before the announcement. Jensen had to get with Robbie at some point early on and then a some point everyone had to get together with Kripke. 

Robbie had been talking about a project that he was really excited about and  couldn't really say anything just before everything shut down for the pandemic. This spinoff had to have been in the works since fall of 2019.  I think that Jensen and Danneel approached WB and CW with this project to get their production company started and get the funding they needed to get the project off the ground.

This may be the reason that Jared wasn't very happy with Robbie. I think he approached Robbie with an offer to write for Walker (that's the rumor floating around) and Robbie said he couldn't because of the project he was already committed to. So poor Robbie was probably sitting there thinking....uh Jared doesn't know about this? He was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. He couldn't say anything but he knew that for whatever reason Jared didn't know anything about it. Kripke also thought that Jared knew about it.  I  don't think anyone knew what to say.

I actually don't think that Jensen thought it was any big deal....and it really isn't. It was a story he wanted to tell. There was already a built in audience for it and with Robbie as showrunner possibly it could be the spinoff that Supernatural could never achieve. Jared was happy and busy with his new show so he probably wouldn't have time to be involved anyway so they pushed on with the announcement.  Things were said feelings were hurt damage control gone awry and here we are.

I swear to Chuck this has turned into a soap opera writers dream.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lastcall said:

I liked your post. All most of us have to go on are the tweets, rumors and reading between the lines. All of this, particularly the Kripke tweets, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So some questions to anyone that may know. Who gave Jensen and Chaos Machine the rights to do this? I had assumed Kripke has ownership but if he was kept out of the loop about Jared then maybe he doesn't have the amount power I thought he does. Could the WB deal give Jensen the rights to do any Supernatural project he wants? Who actually owns Supernatural now?

Short answer: It's probably Warner Brothers Television's ballgame. 

Longer...

Keep in mind that Eric Kripke was more or less an unknown when he sold Supernatural. He is unlikely to have gotten some kind of deal like George Lucas had with Star Wars (at least until he sold SW to Disney).

The production companies involved were Kripke Enterprises, Wonderland Sound & Vision (McG's company, but Wonderland's involvement reportedly ended in 2013, and I don't know why, but it probably comes down to the terms of their original deal), and Warner Brothers Television Studios. Kripke had previous pitched Supernatural to Peter Johnson, when he was at Fox. When Johnson moved to Wonderland he called Kripke about doing a pilot, which is how McG got involved.

I don't specifically know who would have to sign off on any spin-off, other than Warner Brothers, but I don't think anyone would.

Since Kripke and Jensen Ackles have a good working relationship and apparent friendship, I would assume Ackles at least sought (and appears to have received) Kripke's blessing.

If The Winchesters goes to series, Kripke is very likely to get some kind of production credit (e.g. "based on characters created by Eric Kripke") and some money to go along with that. He might even be credited as an executive producer, which doesn't necessarily mean he'd have a role in day to day production. Like with McG on the original series, EP credits are often a way to recognize and compensate people.

I don't know but do doubt that Chaos Machine would have (legally) needed Kripke's sign-off. Warner Brothers would have been the entity that invested the most/all of money at the outset of SPN. Typically, the studio (a la Warner Bros.) is the entity that makes the real money on a show in the long run, because of syndication deals and the like.

Another Warner subsidiary, Warner Brothers Television Distribution, owns the rights to distribute (TV or streaming) the original series. That's who Netflix pays in order to stream the series and who TNT pays to run it in syndication. How much of a cut Kripke got/gets, would be particular to his deal with Warner at the time he sold the show.

Edited to add: The CW is a joint venture between ViacomCBS's CBS Entertainment Group and the Studios and Networks division of AT&T's WarnerMedia, (Warner Bros. parent company). The Winchesters has its best shot at a pick-up from The CW, first of all, because SPN did so well there, but also, because as one of The CW's parent companies, Warner will make money on both ends.

Edited by General Days
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I will watch the show to support Jensen. Also, I liked the actors that played young John and Mary in Supernatural flashbacks. But the big question is, what about Baby? Jensen owns the hero car now so would he be willing to loan it out? I know they used more than one car/baby in the show and Jared also got one but I wonder if the studio kept the others because above all else Baby has to be in the show!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Just soldiering on

ja.png

He's so beautiful.

Just the sight of him makes me feel so much better.

And a calming tweet to help at least his fandom move forward, and hopefully everyone else, too.

I love him so much.

I would watch anything that he's involved in. 

I'm looking forward to the prequel even though John was never a favorite of mine and Dabb ruined Mary for me.

I think casting will make a world of difference with both characters, but especially Mary.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

He's so beautiful.

Just the sight of him makes me feel so much better.

And a calming tweet to help at least his fandom move forward, and hopefully everyone else, too.

I love him so much.

I would watch anything that he's involved in. 

I'm looking forward to the prequel even though John was never a favorite of mine and Dabb ruined Mary for me.

I think casting will make a world of difference with both characters, but especially Mary.

I would like to see the young actors again from SPN. I think both are likeable, talented and did well in the role. Though ironically they might have aged out of what the characters are supposed to be at that point. However, so was very much adult Mary after she "came back"  (soulless).

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, BornToDie said:

So if Jensen and Jared remain friends and do con panels together, then does the perception of Jensen change because he’s decided he wants to continue the relationship?

Why would it? He can have relationships with whom he wants. Personally, me not liking some of them doesn't Influence my perception of him as a talented actor or a good person. At worst he does something I heavily roll my eyes at. No big deal.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, General Days said:

Short answer: It's probably Warner Brothers Television's ballgame. 

Longer...

Keep in mind that Eric Kripke was more or less an unknown when he sold Supernatural. He is unlikely to have gotten some kind of deal like George Lucas had with Star Wars (at least until he sold SW to Disney).

The production companies involved were Kripke Enterprises, Wonderland Sound & Vision (McG's company, but Wonderland's involvement reportedly ended in 2013, and I don't know why, but it probably comes down to the terms of their original deal), and Warner Brothers Television Studios. Kripke had previous pitched Supernatural to Peter Johnson, when he was at Fox. When Johnson moved to Wonderland he called Kripke about doing a pilot, which is how McG got involved.

I don't specifically know who would have to sign off on any spin-off, other than Warner Brothers, but I don't think anyone would.

Since Kripke and Jensen Ackles have a good working relationship and apparent friendship, I would assume Ackles at least sought (and appears to have received) Kripke's blessing.

If The Winchesters goes to series, Kripke is very likely to get some kind of production credit (e.g. "based on characters created by Eric Kripke") and some money to go along with that. He might even be credited as an executive producer, which doesn't necessarily mean he'd have a role in day to day production. Like with McG on the original series, EP credits are often a way to recognize and compensate people.

I don't know but do doubt that Chaos Machine would have (legally) needed Kripke's sign-off. Warner Brothers would have been the entity that invested the most/all of money at the outset of SPN. Typically, the studio (a la Warner Bros.) is the entity that makes the real money on a show in the long run, because of syndication deals and the like.

Another Warner subsidiary, Warner Brothers Television Distribution, owns the rights to distribute (TV or streaming) the original series. That's who Netflix pays in order to stream the series and who TNT pays to run it in syndication. How much of a cut Kripke got/gets, would be particular to his deal with Warner at the time he sold the show.

Edited to add: The CW is a joint venture between ViacomCBS's CBS Entertainment Group and the Studios and Networks division of AT&T's WarnerMedia, (Warner Bros. parent company). The Winchesters has its best shot at a pick-up from The CW, first of all, because SPN did so well there, but also, because as one of The CW's parent companies, Warner will make money on both ends.

Thanks, that and Casseiopeia's comments clears up a lot. So, much of this seems to have started around 2019 (probably after Jensen had the finale meeting).  He decided to form a production company and make his own Supernatural content. He grabs Robbie and has a meeting with who ever makes the big decisions and got the clearance to produce Supernatural. Then at some point he has a courtesy meeting with Kripke to let him know the story. Kripke has moved on from SPN and pretty much gives his blessing to everything SPN related from the spin-offs to the finale to Jensen's pitch. 

Now that would make me think that NDA's weren't involved if Jensen could let Kripke know what was going on. Which makes me think Jensen and Robbie intentionally left Jared out of the loop for whatever reason. I definitely can see why Jensen would want total control after the lack of power he seemed to have in the Dabb years. The call to Jared yesterday may have simply been letting him know that there is a plan, Sam will be included at some point and if he keeps having Twitter tirades he will ruin everything. 

Again for now ,no matter how exactly it happened, Jensen has control of the show and its future and I am more than ok with that. 

• Love 5