Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
biakbiak

S05.E10: We Didn't Start The Fire

Erica informs Beverly that she plans to spend the first night of Hanukkah with Geoff and his family, which leads Beverly to worry and begin a competition for the best Hanukkah party; Barry turns to Pops for advice on how to be cool.

Pops trying to teach Barry “Who’s on First” was infuriating.  How on earth was that routine funny and not annoying?  Perhaps I just don’t get Abbott and Costello.

”We Didn’t Start The Fire” is one of my favorite songs ever and yes, it did take forever to try to memorize the lyrics while listening on a cassette.  However, once you do learn it, you remember it for always.  And also, I still have the cassette.

You can definitely tell it’s the 80’s since they had a Christmas tree and menorah during a school function.  

In my ninth grade chorus concert we sang a medley of Christmas songs, one of which was “Do You Hear What I Hear” and I can’t see that happening nowadays.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

In my ninth grade chorus concert we sang a medley of Christmas songs, one of which was “Do You Hear What I Hear” and I can’t see that happening nowadays.

The winter band concert at the neighborhood high school a few years ago included "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel." But no, nothing religious. "Sleigh Ride," etc.

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

it did take forever to try to memorize the lyrics while listening on a cassette.  However, once you do learn it, you remember it for always.

I remember when I would get so excited if the cassette had the foldout with the lyrics! It was rare, more common when CDs hit, but it happened, and it was great. Otherwise you wore out your tape playing parts over and over and over. But it really did feel good when you finally got the lyrics down. There was a sense of accomplishment kids these days don't get by googling. lol

I actually laughed quite a bit at this ep.

• Like 11

This was the most enjoyable episode they've had in a long time.

I love when Pops gets involved in one of the show's signature shouty conversations because he never actually sounds angry during them, just loud and confused.

• Like 8

I actually liked the end with Bev hiding in Adam's room in her light up sweater, then she figures out she the light only to have it play music. lol that was a good use of the overbearing mom.

I'm liking Jackie too. She's cute and a nice fit for Adam. I loved "look away!" "I am, but there's a mirror!" lol

And yeah, Pops always has this kind of "Why are we shouting" expression on his face whenever they shout. I love pops.

• Like 10

This was a great one! I'm sure because there was no need to shoehorn some Reason for a cast member to head to DC or Erica come rushing back to Jenkintown beyond a pretty standard, "I'm home for the holidays" (Come to think of it, the Thanksgiving episode worked for this reason too). Everyone was in fine form, and true to character. I love that the Schwartz family's Smother was actually the Dad, it provided a nice contrast. Not to mention, the Channukah celebrations fit in quite organically.

It's still freaking me out a  bit how much Jamie Wiseman looks like Erica. I feel we could be in for some strange revelations there.

The new, honest, JTP sans Schwartz is one of the great revelations of the show. "Who's idea was this?"

• Like 5

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Pops trying to teach Barry “Who’s on First” was infuriating.  How on earth was that routine funny and not annoying?  Perhaps I just don’t get Abbott and Costello.

We Didn’t Start The Fire” is one of my favorite songs ever and yes, it did take forever to try to memorize the lyrics while listening on a cassette.  However, once you do learn it, you remember it for always.  And also, I still have the cassette.

You can definitely tell it’s the 80’s since they had a Christmas tree and menorah during a school function.  

LOL, I guess they're are two types of people in the world.  Those that find the "who's on first" routine to be brilliant, and those that CAN NOT stand, "we didn't start the fire".  God I hate that song.  So much so that its my bathroom break song at his concerts.  

My 9th grade band concert was all Christmas carols, 1978.

• Like 5

It's always nice when we get Pops and Barry episodes. Pops doesn't click with Barry like Adam and Erica all the time, but good grief does he try and does he love that kid.

For some reason the line that Pops uses an entire tub of cream cheese on a bagel and then cut to Pops digging into the tub to get his smear on cracked me up.

Beverly meeting her match in Jeff's Dad was great. The man brought a loaded dreidel into Bev's house. He was playing for keeps.

Adam helping Barry get his Billy Joel on while using his film skills and swerving to Barry's strengths was sweet and so genius. That payoff at the talent show was earned for all involved.

• Like 8

I am STILL cracking up over Barry actually starting a fire while singing "We Didn't Start the Fire", after making school specific lyrics. He actually made a pretty good song, even if I`m not a huge fan of WDSTF. "That really does matter!!!" Plus, everyone ended up getting the win, and the whole school loved it. Even the weird RUSH kid!

I also loved Beverly's Hanukkah sweater, and the whole thing at the end where she was in Adams room and the sweater kept lighting up was hilarious, as was her rivalry with Jeff's dad. Really, just a fun episode. probably my favorite in awhile. 

Pops mostly clicks with Adam, but I always love when he has plots with Barry and Erica. You can tell he doesn't really "get" them the way he does Adam, but he loves them so much that he tries. Of course, all episodes with lots of Pops are always a win. 

• Like 10

Barry Goldberg may be the dumbest character on television.

A lot of the appeal of Who's on First comes from Abbot and Costello's comic timing.  I always thought Bud Abbot was one of comedy's best straight man, along with Dean Martin.

I like the song We Didn't Start the Fire, but I dislike '80s music in general.  Especially coming on the heels of the beginnings of rock and roll in the 50s, the Beatles and the counterculture in the 60s, and classic rock in the 70s, the music from the 80s just suffers in comparison.  I understand it's nostalgic for some people though.

I also liked Beverly's Hanukkah sweater.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

It's always nice when we get Pops and Barry episodes. Pops doesn't click with Barry like Adam and Erica all the time, but good grief does he try and does he love that kid.

For some reason the line that Pops uses an entire tub of cream cheese on a bagel and then cut to Pops digging into the tub to get his smear on cracked me up.

Beverly meeting her match in Jeff's Dad was great. The man brought a loaded dreidel into Bev's house. He was playing for keeps.

Adam helping Barry get his Billy Joel on while using his film skills and swerving to Barry's strengths was sweet and so genius. That payoff at the talent show was earned for all involved.

I think they actually said "tin of cream cheese" and I got all giddy because they used to come in metal tins, but then they shot to a plastic container.  :(

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

"we didn't start the fire".  God I hate that song. 

You and me both, @TV Diva Queen.

20 hours ago, Jerseygirl1955 said:

I love who's on first and I loved it even more last night with the Von Hayes reference.  Yes, he is my favorite baseball player. 

I was positively giddy over the VH shout-out, I had the biggest crush on him back in the day!

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

He actually made a pretty good song, even if I`m not a huge fan of WDSTF.

I liked it a lot.

Josh Fuckface, LOL :)

• Like 4

On 12/15/2017 at 4:19 AM, rmontro said:

I like the song We Didn't Start the Fire, but I dislike '80s music in general.  Especially coming on the heels of the beginnings of rock and roll in the 50s, the Beatles and the counterculture in the 60s, and classic rock in the 70s, the music from the 80s just suffers in comparison.  I understand it's nostalgic for some people though.

That depends on what 80s music you’re talking about. Lots of artists released great material during the 80s.

R.E.M., The Replacements, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Pixies, XTC, Hüsker Dü, The Jesus and Mary Chain......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

That depends on what 80s music you’re talking about. Lots of artists released great material during the 80s.

R.E.M., The Replacements, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Pixies, XTC, Hüsker Dü, The Jesus and Mary Chain......

Oh, I agree.  I just think that taken as a whole, it doesn't measure up to the previous two decades.  Part of that has to do with the rock genre playing itself out though.  Creatively, most things had already been tried and done by that point.  It's a question of freshness.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:04 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

LOL, I guess they're are two types of people in the world.  Those that find the "who's on first" routine to be brilliant, and those that CAN NOT stand, "we didn't start the fire".  God I hate that song.  So much so that its my bathroom break song at his concerts.  

My 9th grade band concert was all Christmas carols, 1978.

I was born in 1983 and I can't tell you how many times that song been in my head between 1989-1990. Loved Billy Joel, but that was one song that I couldn't tolerate as a kid. I grew up in the 1987-1990 period, but that was one song that I want to forget about. Good times...heh.

• Like 1

The only reason I liked We Didn't Start the Fire was because learning the lyrics was a challenge. Once I knew them I had zero interest in the song. I did, however, LOVE Barry's rendition. As someone who quite often doctors song lyrics to my own life for fun or to amuse friends, I appreciated it a lot, and he did a great job. Adam's visual presentation was great, the table flipping, the whole thing was perfect.

This was my favorite ep in quite some time.

• Like 2

I still don't know all of the lyrics to We Didn't Start the Fire (1989), even to this day.  Same with Don McLean's American Pie (1971).

Yeah, I could Google them, but I'd much rather hum the tune while listening.

Great episode.  Anything involving Pops is gold.

On 12/15/2017 at 5:19 AM, rmontro said:

Barry Goldberg may be the dumbest character on television.

A lot of the appeal of Who's on First comes from Abbot and Costello's comic timing.  I always thought Bud Abbot was one of comedy's best straight man, along with Dean Martin.

I also liked Beverly's Hanukkah sweater.

i find it hard to believe that this barry went on to be a doctor. he wouldn't be mine!

• Like 1

So when Barry said the talent show was when Lainey first noticed him, i thought I was misremebering but didn't really care; however,  they just showed the original episode and Lainey wasn't there, there was a different poular blond. In fact according to imdb, AJ didn't even show up until 4 episodes later.

Yeah, the episodes where they allow Barry some quiet moments of insight are more enjoyable than the ones where all he does is yell and/or pick on Adam. 

• Like 1