Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Line of Fire

• Start Topic

On 12/13/2017 at 11:25 PM, ApplePie said:

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that despite some stuff that didn't quite add up. I'm scratching my head at Hannah not thinking that Damien could be wearing a bullet-proof vest. I think she has looked pretty silly in this story. I guess that's a character flaw of hers.....getting too involved with people.

Also, is there really a religion out there that doesn't believe in using blood transfusions? 

The girls singing were cute and I felt bad that no one wanted to listen to them.

The First Lady didn't really add anything to the show for me and I'm glad she's gone. I agree with what the showrunner said here about her death: http://tvline.com/2017/12/13/designated-survivor-recap-season-2-episode-10-alex-dies-first-lady/ 

Yes there are religions that do not believe in transfusions or organ donation. Jehovah's Witnesses are a common example. There are also religions, such as Christian Scientists, that do not believe in medical treatment at all. There have been cases where parents have allowed their children to die without treatment and have been prosecuted.

I’m glad that Damien survived. Ben Lawson is great in the role. Hannah needs a partner and he is a good match. I’m hoping that there is a logical explanation for what he has been doing and that he is one of the good guys. I can’t understand people who “ship” Hannah and Chuck. He would really have to have nerd reduction surgery to be of relationship interest to Hannah. 

Can we stop with trucks coming out of nowhere, and slamming into cars? It is such an old freaking idea. I also hate it when they destroy Christmas episodes. My holiday season was awful, so I finally get around to watching things that aired just before Christmas, and find that I'm glad I didn't watch them at the time.

This is the first episode I'd watched in a while, although I remember the first lady's mum being asked about something. 

I like the actors, but this also had me wanting to binge-watch the west wing again. The first christmas episode for that had me sobbing, but for a different reason. It was actually touching. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Anela said:

Can we stop with trucks coming out of nowhere, and slamming into cars?

I'm sure members of Congress were saying the same when a garbage truck hit their train yesterday, but, yeah, not a very imaginative killing-off of a character. 

I also hate it when they destroy Christmas episodes. My holiday season was awful,

Ooh, you and I may have to have a contest on this one, @Anela. On second thought, I think we'd both rather not.

this also had me wanting to binge-watch the west wing again.

Okay. A little good news on this front: http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/aaron-sorkin-dreams-of-a-sterling-k-brown-west-wing-reboot.html

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm sure members of Congress were saying the same when a garbage truck hit their train yesterday, but, yeah, not a very imaginative killing-off of a character. 

Ooh, you and I may have to have a contest on this one, @Anela. On second thought, I think we'd both rather not.

Okay. A little good news on this front: http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/aaron-sorkin-dreams-of-a-sterling-k-brown-west-wing-reboot.html

I heard one thing about that train yesterday, because it held one of my senators. I didn't know a truck hit it. I didn't post in the "only happens on TV" thread, because I know it happens. It just gives me flashbacks to a car accident. 

Yeah, I'd rather not compete over destroyed holidays. I was in a really bad state. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Well, that was stupid on all levels.  I’ve been taping but not watching because this show has become so disappointing, but the episode just reaffirmed the stupid.  Can now free up DVR space.....

The First Lady went into the -wasn’t it supposed to be a grand jury (but it wasn’t) -during the day, but somehow she’s driving home late at night.  On a street that’s been cleared of all other traffic, but somehow a large truck managed to hit her car?  Sure....

I see the FBI’s only agent is as stupid as ever.  Yeah, let’s have an affair with the “agent” you barely know.  Let’s confront him alone, at night, on a bridge (why was that again)?  Then let’s shoot him in the chest, to try to kill - except for the inevitable Kevlar vest.  No, to kill you could have shot him in the head, or to would you could have taken out a knee so he’d live but be incapacitated.....but that wouldn’t allow for the oh so casual 180 degree turn around, take a bunch of steps and gracefully dive into the water.  And then of course she takes no steps to find the “body” but goes to a bar instead.  Sure........

Twenty adults want to kill themselves in order to allow a baby to die?  Let ‘em.   Get the firefighters out of harms way and let Darwin rule.  Also seriously doubt the President can force a hospital to allow a doctor, whose license has been taken  away, perform a questionable operation on a baby.  Feel pretty sure the mother wouldn’t have had religious objections to sueing everyone is the baby died.

I've recently been watching this show for the first time and just finished 2x10. This post mostly isn't specific to 2x10, though. I don't know where to put this, so I figured 2x10 would be as good a place as any. I just need to get this off my chest.

So far, I've been bored silly by season 2. I'm missing the mystery, intrigue, and uniqueness of season 1. I LOVED the original premise. This is a show that needed to be a compressed storytelling format, with the first three seasons or so covering an in-show year. That is to say, the Capitol bombing, the federal government being annihilated, Kirkman adjusting to the Presidency, all the upended family dynamics, the complete replacement of Congress - that all should have been the firm premise of the show for much longer than a single season. 

It seems like everything that made this show unique and deserving of being called "Designated Survivor" was wrapped up in season 1. Season 2 has been an attempt at The West Wing and is now Political Issue of the Week, with some weird, jarring attempt at a spy thriller in the middle. It feels so completely unearned; season 2 is really what a season 4 or 5 should have looked like.

And the sloppiness... My god. Who the hell is the Vice President?! After all the long drawn-out crap with VP McCreish, no one is Vice President, there's apparently no Speaker of the House (or I'm not paying close enough attention and missed Kimble's replacement), and the Secretary of State is usually nowhere to be found...and the show is now about Kirkman and his ragtag crew of sorta-qualified misfits smoothly handling everything with determined poise and gravel-voiced grit. Okay. Sure. I can't believe how quickly these writers/showrunners got bored with the original premise. What a waste.

(The only 2x10 comment I have is... It made no sense that Hannah shot BritishGuy and then went to the bar to drink, instead of calling the FBI and having the scene processed and her statement taken. All I can think is that she knows she didn't kill him and let him go, which is probably worse than if she thinks she killed him, left his body in the river, and went to drink.)

• Love 1