Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: eXploited

Bort

B.D. Wong (and Garrett Wang way back when) don't play chop-socky Asians. Have to admit I'm drawing a blank otherwise. 

Structurally the show is 1/2 Young Mutants in Love on the Run. Like most casts it tops out at about five. Of them, John Proudfoot aka Thunderbird is supposed to be POC, Clarice aka Blink is supposed to be POC, Marcos is Latino, which may or may not be regarded as POC, depending on your insistence for precision melanin counts or DNA. Sonya aka Dreamer was white, as was Lorna aka Polaris. Sixty percent POC, and sixty percent female. And the antivillain Jace Turner is POC. The mustache twirling villain is white Garrett Dillahunt. In the supporting cast of this show, white woman Sage is balanced by POC Shatter. Now with Dreamer gone, the new vile villain is Esme, is is as white as it gets. This half of the show is casting villains as whites. The African American woman isn't left out though, she' Mrs. Turner. All in all, this half of the show I can't see perfection on the representation issue, but they do seem to be trying. 

The other half is the Struckers Family drama. It seems to be flirting with condemning them for being privileged because they're white. But only flirting. If they were really going that direction, Reed would actually be able to get a possible deal for Lauren at least, if not Andy. 

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

Re the lack of African-American females... they could have just as easily made up a new character.  No need to resort to established comic characters like Storm.  Eclipse as far as I can tell is a completely new character, although his powers resemble that of the Brazilian Sunspot and Havok.   The Strucker siblings are new characters.

I feel the same way about the lack of Asian-American males.  The Asian-American male is seemingly the most ignored and underrepresented race/gender combo in shows like this.  When they need an Asian character, they introduce a female, I suppose because Asian females are viewed as beautiful and exotic?  Thus we get Clarice and the drugged up speedster.  

I completely agree that they could and should have just made up a new character. I was just pointing out some of the other ones that already exist out of the few who do, so it wasn't like there were none at all they could have used that would have worked. If they can pull Dreamer from obscurity and put her on a show I don't know why they couldn't have grabbed Cipher/Alisa Tager or changed a character that already exists. 

They did change Clarice's character from Clarice Ferguson to Clarice Fong but they were probably following the X-Men Days of Future Past's portrayal of the character. On Runaways they did the same thing with Molly Hayes who became Molly Hernandez. Both were beloved comic book characters and had their backgrounds changed. So they're willing to do it they just haven't for some reason.  

10 hours ago, blackwing said:

I still don't understand why she couldn't have ported them away before capture.  Even if she can only do line of sight, ok, that was a long hallway.  She could have ported them to the end of the hallway.  In the previous episode, she ported John to a space in the air above the drugged out female speedster.  She did that quickly and fluidly without any of her usual "I can't" whining.

There isn't a reason she couldn't really. It's possible to fanwank that she was under stress or that as soon as they would have seen a purple glow in the area they would have reactivated her collar. However, even if she opened a portal they would still have to get through it and the men could have easily grabbed them.

While we're complaining about representation, I'm upset about the lack of gay characters, not a single one, where's the hot ginger man ? 

With all the pacing issues, they should have shoe horned a gay romance subplot unnecessarily so that we'd all have a break from the capture, rescue motif.

• Love 1
On 12/25/2017 at 4:44 AM, wayne67 said:

While we're complaining about representation, I'm upset about the lack of gay characters, not a single one, where's the hot ginger man ? 

With all the pacing issues, they should have shoe horned a gay romance subplot unnecessarily so that we'd all have a break from the capture, rescue motif.

Seconded, although the amount of time Marcos spends in his underwear helps.

Edited by bow
On 12/12/2017 at 11:10 AM, tiredofwork said:

I am disappointed there are no African-American female mutants with any screen time..

This seems to be all too common for scifi and fantasy shows.  SyFy is a LOT better, with Af-Am women on Z Nation, Happy!, The Expanse, etc.  (I wouldn't count Turner's wife, since she's only been in 2 or 3 scenes.)

• Love 1

Damn, Esme!  You cold...

As a telepath, couldn't she just mind freak everyone from the get go... I was also kinda like, how come none of the others mentioned her getting into everyone's business.  "Girl, sit down.  You're new."  That's my only issue, all these "new" to the underground characters move up quickly in the underground as long as they serve the story... still love the show though...

Damn, Campbell!  You cold...

We all knew Dreamer was going to get it, but I pegged Turner as her executioner.  Wonder how John will take it?

And the meeting between Turner and wife, and the Strucker's, you knew they would pull at the wife's heartstrings.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and Stuff, Yo!