Type keyword(s) to search

Dream Co-Hosts

Between Daphne Oz leaving the show earlier this year, and the unfortunate news about Mario today, I thought it'd be fun to discuss who we'd love to see as a co-host on this show.  And this is just pure fantasy - even people we think would never do it or be asked to do it.

For example, I'd love to see Ellie Krieger or someone like her.  And then maybe someone less Eurpoean/American focused in their food like Ming Tsai.  I was also thinking about age diversity so maybe younger corollaries. 

I'd never heard of Clinton, Michael or Daphne before this show began so I'm most open to another person I've never heard of that I can grow to love. As for fantasy level names, I'd enjoy seeing Michael's wife Liz since she's a vegan and was a natural the few times she's been on the show. For pros, I'd like Susan Feniger and/or Mary Sue Milliken (The Too Hot Tamales). I'd also enjoy Valerie Bertinelli or Tiffani Thiessen since I like their Food Network shows or Padma Lakshmi. Please no Richard Blais or that corn pone guy who won Holiday Baking a while back. I want another woman to balance things out.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

I would not choose Curtis Stone, although he was in a lot at the beginning.  

This takes some thought--- another young person?  An established restauranteur?  Someone who has competed on Top Chef or Food Network?

• Love 1

I can only think of people, I don't want. For instance I am pleased that the filming schedule and being in NYC, most likely rules out Ayesha Curry. 

Kristen Kish might be cool but I don't see her food being a good fit. 

Its a real challenge because the chemistry of the hosts is the key to the show.

• Love 2

Great idea for a thread.  

I can hear all the noooooos now but I'll say it anyway--Bobby Flay.  I can't help it.  I like his TV personality, think he has good star connections and his genuine friendship with Michael would help chem wise.

Dream world?  Ina.  Won't happen but I love the idea.  

I'll think of more, I'm sure.  They could try on guest hosts, though.  It might be fun.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Great idea for a thread.  

I can hear all the noooooos now but I'll say it anyway--Bobby Flay.  I can't help it.  I like his TV personality, think he has good star connections and his genuine friendship with Michael would help chem wise.

I am not suggesting that consensual affairs are the same as sexual harassment but I can't imagine that they would hire him in this current climate with all of the rumors. His chemistry with Michael is too dude-bro for my tastes.

I wouldn't mind Sara Moulton of they didn't go for a younger chef.

• Love 3

It will never happen, but they could cancel Rachael Ray's show and bring her on The Chew.  

I actually think that Valerie Bertinelli is a choice that makes sense for a few reasons -- she can fit into the "Italian cooking" slot somewhat (though she probably doesn't have as much technical expertise as Mario has);   she has had struggles with her weight and can make hearty yet healthy meals;  she has a bubbly personality, a good sense of humor, and is used to being in front of a camera;  and she has been on The Chew enough times as a guest that I think she could fit right into the different segments where she is paired up with only one of the hosts.

She'd have to be willing to work in New York, though, and I think Valerie lives out here in California.

I have to agree with Irlandesa, though.  Bobby Flay would be perfect (in my opinion) -- he has the right range of expertise and knowledge of preparing foods of all kinds, from high end to casual; he and Michael are best friends and their dynamic would be fun to watch; and he has a lot of connections to famous people who could be guests on the show.

But... I think that, even aside from the current climate that biakbiak mentioned above, Bobby might just be too busy to do The Chew even if he were offered it.   He seems to dominate the Food Network (along with Guy Fieri).   He's got a bunch of restaurants.   I can see Bobby occasionally popping in to guest host for a few days here and there, but signing on for a daily show might be tricky.  I don't think he will be a new, permanent host.

I wonder when the contracts are up for the people on The Kitchen.  I would not be shocked if someone ends up leaving The Kitchen to join The Chew at some point down the road.

Edited by TVFan17
Forgot to complete one sentence!
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Great idea for a thread.  

Dream world?  Ina.  Won't happen but I love the idea.  

I'll think of more, I'm sure.  They could try on guest hosts, though.  It might be fun.

I like Bobby, but I think he would overwhelm the other hosts (plus what biakbiak said). I was thinking about Anne Burrell, but she might overwhelm things, too.

3 hours ago, imjagain said:

Damaris Phillips.  She's growing on me. 

I believe anti-fungal creams are available over-the-counter.

That's an idea---Jeff Mauro. 

Or perhaps Richard Blais.  He is on the Rachael Ray program often.  Both ABC properties, same building even. 

Both of these persons have no problem with being silly. 

And if that were to happen, I would have no problem with never watching the show again.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

That's an idea---Jeff Mauro. 

Or perhaps Richard Blais.  He is on the Rachael Ray program often.  Both ABC properties, same building even. 

Both of these persons have no problem with being silly. 

Ugh, no.  If it was either one of those, that would be the end for me.  As much as I love Michael, Clinton, and Carla, I can't stand either of them.

Valerie Bertinelli would be great, but yeah, she's based in California, so I don't know if she would do it.  Same with Tiffani Theissen, who also still acts (as does Val).

I second the Damaris Phillips and Sarah Moulton nominations.  Someone mentioned Kristin Kish, who would be really cool, but she seems too low-key for tv hosting.

How about a Volt brother?  Or if we want more diversity, Jet Tila?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, bkathi said:

Lee Anne Wong!  I loved her on Top Chef and just about everything else she has ever done.  But would she leave Hawaii? I doubt it. 

Yeah and she just had a baby so that would be alot to uproot but I do think she would be great.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Direwolf said:

Ree Drummond :) 

Ha! If you want Santa to bring you coal, don't be coy. Just ask for it.

Is Alex Guarnaschelli (sp?) too dour? I like her, and I love her treatment of food, but she does come across as rather serious. 

• Love 3

Alex G. would be a good choice too. I've seen her on a talk show and she laughed and was very self effacing. She is too serious on Chopped but maybe they are told to be that way.

• Love 5

The Chew has definitely reached an interesting juncture.    One good thing is that at least they are just about at the end of the year.   That's a good time to regroup and think about a strategy going forward, before continuing on with the season in January.    Many of the remaining new episodes that will air this year will probably be pre-taped (not sure what they will do with any pre-taped episodes they have been holding on to, if Mario is in them), and the hosts might not even actually be taping at all in a week or so, once they take their Christmas break.   So we might get some combo of Mario-free new episodes and Mario-free repeats over the next few weeks, and then January will be a key month to watch.

So, when 2018 begins, they could go in many different directions.  They could...

-- Finish out the season (which wraps up in the summer) with just the 3 hosts and not try to bring in guest hosts yet.

-- Finish out the season with the 3 hosts and integrate a few guest hosts into the mix.

-- Actively try to go after one or two specific people they want on the show, to fill Mario's spot.

-- Bring in another esteemed (possibly stuffy) Iron Chef sort of person, with many restaurants and experience in the culinary world, who might also be 50 or older.

-- Bring in a young, hip hotshot chef on the rise.

-- Bring in a Food Network Star winner or memorable runner-up.

-- Bring in an eccentric, quirky, slightly odd food personality.

-- Bring in a YouTube food personality or blogger/"influencer".

-- Bring in a known food TV personality, but someone who is more a "home cook" than a trained chef.

-- Bring in someone from Top Chef, i.e., Gail, Tom or Padma.

-- Bring in someone who is not primarily known for being a cook OR a chef -- perhaps a previous guest on the show -- but who is good on the show and can cook some things.

-- Bring on someone who is funny and can be good on the panel when chatting at the table or hosting, but who is not a cook at all.

-- Steal someone from The Kitchen.

And then, beyond all of that, do they want someone to fill a specific niche --  Italian food, Asian, Mexican, French, Southern cooking, Middle Eastern cuisine, casual/fast/easy to prepare food, elegant/fine dining kinds of food, BBQ/Grilled food, healthy food/food for specific dietary restrictions, etc., etc.??

The key is, whoever they pick, the person has to blend in and have chemistry with the other hosts.   They have to be able to talk about different things -- while sitting at the table and while cooking -- and have a sense of humor, as well as offer something to the show that we are not already getting from Michael, Clinton or Carla.

• Love 3

I would give up my oldest son to have Alton Brown be a co-host (eh...he's 27, he'd get over it eventually), but

1. he's probably too expensive 

2. he'd probably take over the show, and

3. he's probably too busy - I think I heard somewhere that he's bringing back Good Eats next year (not that side projects have ever stopped any of the other hosts).

If there's room for another fabulous gay, Brian Boitano could be fun.  I enjoyed the cooking show he had a couple of years ago that lasted about a minute.

• Love 4

I'm loving some of these suggestions.  Loathing others.  Amy Thielen is a good option. I loved her cooking show that was cancelled way too soon.  However, she lives in MN and not in a "close to an airport" kind of way.  I was thinking of Alex G too.  She's stern on Chopped but more personable in other contexts. 

23 minutes ago, Nessie said:

2. he'd probably take over the show

If the latest version of Iron Chef is any indication, that probably is a definitely.  Besides, I think he likes to control every aspect of his productions which I could see clashing with the EPs off air and Clinton on air.  I like Alton in certain contexts but I don't see him working here.

26 minutes ago, Nessie said:

If there's room for another fabulous gay, Brian Boitano could be fun.

This is an inspired choice.  I loved that show too.

Once upon a time Valerie Bertinelli was in the running to be Regis's new co-host.  (Rumor has it she was his top pick.)  Producers ended up choosing Kelly but she was, at that time, willing to move to NY.  But that's when she was married to Eddie Van Halen.  She has since divorced him and married someone else who might be more connected to CA.

Speaking of Bobby, he's a guest tomorrow.  I am curious as to whether or not this week is pre-taped or not.

What a well-reasoned post, @TVFan17. I especially like the idea of Gail Simmons from Top Chef: female, personable but not crazy, knowledgeable. 

As for Valerie Bertinelli being California based, the show only tapes three or four days a week, right? It's not easy but it's doable. (Yeah, I know, but I really, really like her.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Qoass said:

What a well-reasoned post, @TVFan17. I especially like the idea of Gail Simmons from Top Chef: female, personable but not crazy, knowledgeable. 

As for Valerie Bertinelli being California based, the show only tapes three or four days a week, right? It's not easy but it's doable. (Yeah, I know, but I really, really like her.)

I think that, just in case a long-term 4th host scenario is not in ABC's plans, Valerie would at least be a good temporary fill-in host for the rest of the season, if they decide they want or need a 4th person for a couple of weeks of each month, from January to June (or whichever month is their last month for taping new shows).   I don't know if Michael is still doing his Burgers, Brews and 'Que show for Food Network, but he will surely have to miss some Chew episodes that are taped in the first few months of next year, because he has other businesses and things he is involved in.   And though Carla and Clinton are not out that often, every once in a while they are not there.  So another back-up host with some personality, credibility and experience would be helpful.

I am not sure of what kind of shooting schedule Valerie has for her own Food Network cooking show, but Food Network also uses her as a guest judge or host on other things as well.   At some point she and Tyler Florence will probably be shooting that 'pre-Food Network Star' show (with former contestants trying to get back on FNS) that leads up to the new season of FNS, but I don't know when that pre-show production happens either. So, her Food Network responsibilities could prohibit her from doing some things for a while.

Gail Simmons comes across as more serious when she is on any of the Top Chef shows (much like Alex Guarnaschelli comes across as serious and cold on certain shows where she has to judge), but, just as is the case with Alex G., Gail's personality and sense of humor come out when she is on other shows.  She is more lively, fun and upbeat when she is on talk shows, or on The Chew as a guest.  She has enough food knowledge and credibility to hold her own on the show, but she is not off-putting and unapproachable.

However, Gail is pregnant, if I recall correctly, and I don't know what her Bravo/Top Chef filming schedule is like, so she might not be available for a while.

I, personally, would not mind if Anne Burrell were brought on the show -- I think she is fun and versatile in her cooking expertise  -- but I have a feeling that she would end up rubbing a lot of viewers the wrong way.  So I don't see that happening in any kind of long-term way, but maybe they could try Anne (and Alex G.) as part of a rotation of guest hosts in 2018.  They could also try out Marcus Samuelsson as a guest host on the show -- he seems to be a really likeable guy, and certainly has a lot of experience in the culinary world, and he was already on The Taste for ABC, but I get the feeling that he, too, might be very busy.

Edited by TVFan17
13 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

They could also try out Marcus Samuelsson as a guest host on the show -- he seems to be a really likeable guy, and certainly has a lot of experience in the culinary world, and he was already on The Taste for ABC, but I get the feeling that he, too, might be very busy.

He's someone I thought about too. He was raised in Sweden so im sure he could make non dry ass Swedish Meatballs ☺.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

He's someone I thought about too. He was raised in Sweden so im sure he could make non dry ass Swedish Meatballs ☺.

LOL  Yes, indeed.  Marcus could do a whole segment on how to not make dry ass meatballs!  LOL

That reminds me... am I remembering correctly in that the "dry ass meatball show" was the last one with Mario?  Mario was not there for the next episode, when Clinton and Michael cleared up the Meatballgate controversy, and I don't think he has been on an episode since then, but I think he was on  when the dry ass meatball segment aired.  They might have pre-taped some other shows that include Mario, which were planned to air over the next couple of weeks, but I don't know if we will see those at this point.

Wow, Amy Thielen and Sara Moulton have great credentials and good TV presence.  my guess is they value their current life situations too much to relocate to NYC.  

Would love to see them maybe get well credentialed people like these to maybe guest host for a week at a time. However, having to deal with a new person each week might not be easy for Michael, Clinton and Carla.

Some of the people me tinned above (Jeff M., Ree D.) just use the same buzz words over and over, mug way too much for the camera, and don’t really offer many new or interesting techniques.

i watched Brian Boitanos show some time back and was pleasantly surprised at what he had to offer.

There are probably hundreds of You Tube chefs and food bloggers trying to contact ABC to plead their case!

8 minutes ago, CathinAZ said:

my guess is they value their current life situations too much to relocate to NYC.  

Sara lives in the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan so about a 15 minute subway ride uptown to the studio. 

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, justspiffy said:

How about Kenji Lopez Alt?  He’s been on a few times, and is clearly knowledgeable about food and cooking techniques. I also love Sarah Moulton. 

He's currently being a part time stay at home and opening a restaurant in the bay area so he has a lot on his plate.

I've been thinking about this (perhaps I need a life) and I think that one thing the show lost when they lost Mario (other than evidently a huge creepy perv) is someone with a real gift for teaching. Michael does okay and Clinton does okay within his more limited realm of expertise. I think Carla needs some more time to learn how to teach. She tends to wrap herself around her own axle and forget she is teaching. One of the things where Mario had a lot of talent was that he has a lot of knowledge and was good at sharing it. I think the show needs someone with a similar level of expertise. Not sure where they might find it. I still stand by my suggestion of Ming Tsai.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:57 AM, Qoass said:

I'd enjoy seeing Michael's wife Liz since she's a vegan and was a natural the few times she's been on the show.

I liked Liz too but I don't think the show can have a host with food restrictions beyond a small allergy here and there (like Michael's raspberry allergy.)  When Clinton stopped eating meat other than chicken or fish for that length of time in order to improve his cholesterol (which he stopped when it didn't work), I felt it tilted the chemistry of the show a little bit.  I felt it was a bit awkward to see him not eat any beef or pork dishes and only munch on the sides.  I also felt like they started doing a lot more chicken during this time to accommodate his tastes.  A vegan would likely be passing up most of the dishes made or discussed in the first segment.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:03 AM, HyeChaps said:

I would not choose Curtis Stone, although he was in a lot at the beginning. 

I seem to recall that he was announced as a potential fill-in for Daphne's first maternity leave and that never really panned out.  So for some reason they decided he wasn't needed.  I hope they don't reconsider.

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I've been thinking about this (perhaps I need a life) and I think that one thing the show lost when they lost Mario (other than evidently a huge creepy perv) is someone with a real gift for teaching.

Thank you for such a wonderful segue. I've been meaning to make another suggestion and she is a teacher.  A few weeks ago, The Food Network debuted an actual cooking show--well baking show--that was pure demonstration.  I remember being somewhat shocked because it wasn't a one-off (TFN had done this from time to time) but rather a full season and the host wasn't someone famous.  The show is Baked In Vermont, which is hosted by self-taught baker and baking instructor Gesine Prado, and I thought she had a terrific television personality.

I learned about a week or two later that her full name is Gesine Bullock Prado and she's actually the sister of Sandra Bullock, the actress, and had run a production company with her in LA for a while.  So she's technically not some random baker TFN decided to make a star but I still do like her on camera personality.  She teaches.  And her Hollywood connections could be an asset because I do think that's something else Mario brought to the table.  

• Love 4
On 12/21/2017 at 7:59 AM, justspiffy said:

How about Kenji Lopez Alt?  He’s been on a few times, and is clearly knowledgeable about food and cooking techniques. I also love Sarah Moulton. 

I found Kenji very stilted and awkward when he's been on the show in the past.