Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E24: Live Semifinal Performances

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

The eight semifinalists perform for coaches Adam Levine, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Hudson, and Blake Shelton in the hopes of getting America's votes to advance to the finale.  In addition to solo performances, the artists also pair up for the season's live duets.

Discuss this two-hour performance episode here.

• Love 2

Song choices for tonight:

Team Adam
Adam: "I'm Already There" by Lonestar
Addison: "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell

Team Miley
Brooke: "Faithfully" by Journey

Team Jennifer
Davon: "Gravity" by John Mayer
Noah: "River" by Bishop Briggs

Team Blake
Chloe: "I Want to Know what Love Is" by Foreigner
Keisha: "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts
Red: "Go Rest on that Mountain" by Vince Gill

And the duets will be done by:

Adam Cunningham (Team Adam)/Red Marlow (Team Blake): "Can't You See?" by the Marshall Tucker Band
Addison Agen (Team Adam)/Keisha Renee (Team Blake): "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow
Brooke Simpson (Team Miley)/Davon Fleming (Team Jennifer): "Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)" by The Weeknd
Chloe Kohanski (Team Blake)/Noah Mac (Team Jennifer): "Wicked Games" by Chris Isaak

Make of these what you will.  Sounds to me like the artists are all trying to step it up.  And I am very worried that Red doing a God song will take him right to the finale, and he's the least deserving of getting there.

• Love 4

I lack objectivity when it comes to Noah.  I enjoyed the live version of the duet and love the studio version; Noah's vocals are gorgeous and Chloe doesn't sound bad either.  The arrangement is updated so is more youthful and still haunting.  Noah's voice can do plaintive so well - it's so expressive.  

I am so looking forward to Noah's solo.  It's exactly the type of song an 18-year-old should choose - my kid is a bit younger and was listening to it a lot a couple of years ago.  Noah's clearly not being strategic about winning, he's using this experience to grow as an artist and performer, and to audition to fans and the industry.  I hope he makes it through to next week so we can get a last set of performances from him, and that he draws some interest from an indie label or producer.

Edited by soamused
  • Love 7

Okay, I wasn't sure whether we could post before the end of the show, but since it looks like it's okay, let me just say:

Now I know what "Wicked Games" would sound and look like if zombies were singing it.  Could Noah's/Chloe's eyes be any deader?

As I type this, the show is 3/4 over, and all I can say is "Who picked all these duet songs? Ai-ai-ai, they're more like "don't-et" than "du-et".  Worse, it appears the contestants were on their own to put together and rehearse their duets--I saw no evidence of any coaching.

• Love 5

Oh my, those duets were not great. 

Davon , Keisha, Red...their time is up, hopefully.

Adam, was okay, possibly his best performance, but he can go home too.

Noah and Brooke were good, and they should make it to next week's final. But Red played the Jesus card and I fear it may get him  into the finals.

Chloe and Addison are so far above everyone , there really is no need for a final four. 

My heart says Chloe, Addison, Noah, and Brooke for final 4.

My gut says Chloe, Addison, Noah, and Red. 

• Love 10

Well, I'll say this for Noah: He's got that "young James Dean" vibe going for him in his solo. So there's that. (Singing is still mediocre at best.)

Addison: I've not heard this interpretation of Clouds before. I liked it, and I liked the second half of the song--since that was when I could actually *hear* Addision--but the first half I could not hear. Couldn't they have boosted the mike for her or something? Or is it simply that she failed, as a singer, to project?

Edited by adhoc

I'll admit getting a little teary eyed during " Go rest high on that mountain" ( the lyrics are just so heartfelt). I took a glance at ITunes and Vince Gill is charting again with the song. 

Overall really enjoyed the show tonite.

• Love 1

Tonight Chloe is in the iTunes top 10 (individually and her duet) and Red is also in there. More evidence for my theory that Blake Shelton is good at this show.

Brooke is probably my favorite with Chloe in second favorite. I think TPTB really wanted to make sure Addison is safe going in to the finale. Two performances that late in the night make her path a little easier. I think Chloe and Addison are locks. Not sure who the third through will be. Brooke or Red? I think that Davon and Adam C. are toast. That maybe some wishful thinking too.

• Love 2

Hoo, boy - that was some unimpressive evening.  Joni Mitchell, Foreigner?  Gah!  I would not even be able to choose a favorite.  Were there several who sounded off-key to anyone else?  I wish there were judges who were honest with them.  Oh, Gawd, Davon - would someone tell him to stop screaming, please?

26 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Well, I'll say this for Noah: He's got that "young James Dean" vibe going for him in his solo. So there's that. (Singing is still mediocre at best.)

True, true!  Although I was getting a Jimmy Clanton/Jerry Lee Lewis vibe from him.  Just the hair, I guess.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 3

This night really showed how much the artists want to make the finale.  A shame that at least three of them failed to measure up.

So the performances:

Adam: I didn't like this.  It was okay at the start, but it then got too shouty at the end.  I feel like he tried to go for a great moment, but failed to achieve it.  Blake gave it a seal of approval, though, so it'll chart well (and it already is).

Chloe & Noah: This was really enjoyable.  I didn't see them as "dead" at all.  They sounded wonderful together.  What a perfect pairing.  And this one is already selling well, so clearly, the buyers and viewers agree.

Davon: This is the first time in a while that I've seen him use actual restraint.  And yay to him for finally doing a male vocal.  He had to fight the band at a few points, but he managed to win by a hair.  Surprisingly, it's also doing well on the charts, so he may be okay.

Red: It was good to see him without his guitar, but even without it, I didn't think it was all that great.  Hopefully, Blake's seal of approval doesn't get him votes or sales.  Hopefully.

Brooke & Davon: Had a great start and really featured not only their strong voices, but also their incredible stage chemistry.  I enjoyed most of it, but the last part of it also leaned toward the loud side.  Nonetheless, it's also already charting well, so it might help at least Brooke.

Keisha: It's really hard to deal with Keisha, because she really does have a great voice.  However, like her other performances of country songs, it literally sounds nothing like country.  In addition, she sounded like she had some pacing, phrasing, and breathing problems.  I still enjoy her voice, but this wasn't the right song for her.  I prefer Andrea Thomas and Micah Tryba's Battle from last season to this.

Adam & Red: Probably the best either one of them has ever done, but it was still not all that good.  Also, once again, as expected from each one of them, it was just boring.  Thankfully, it doesn't seem to be doing all that well.

Chloe: I was worried about her taking a Foreigner song, but she did it very well!  One of my favorites of the night.  Great job by her.  I have no doubt that she'll make it to the finale.

Addison & Keisha: I was a bit unsure about the song choice, but in the end, it was actually a pretty decent duet!  Both girls sounded gorgeous together.  It was a good job.

Noah: Wow!  I enjoyed this one!  It really did feel like a "fighting spirit" song, and he nailed the mood of it very well.  And I love when he uses his lower register.  That's what gives his voice the real punch I've always loved about it.  I really hope that he makes it.  If not in the top three, then at least through the Instant Save.

Also, this:

17 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Oh, whatever.  He's amazing!

Addison: She was breathtaking, as always, and it was a good choice to take on a Joni Mitchell song since she'd done so well on one of her songs before.  I don't want Adam to win, but if he has any chance to do so, it's with this girl.

Brooke: Perfect way to close out the night.  Great song choice, great vocals, and great overall performance.  She was just strong and solid all around and gave out her best performance of the season.  She'll either get the public vote or be a virtual lock for the Instant Save.

Decent night for me.:)

7 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Tonight Chloe is in the iTunes top 10 (individually and her duet) and Red is also in there. More evidence for my theory that Blake Shelton is good at this show.

You can say that as many times as you want.  Doesn't make it true.  Far as I'm concerned, it makes him lucky to have the right artists at the right time.

• Love 3

This is my first season of TV; I saw a clip of Noah's audition somewhere so started watching.  There's no one in the house who can stand country so I have to mute those performances after about 5 seconds.  The hub thinks most of the performers are ruining old classics so he mutes most of the other performances after a few seconds.  I mute the judges since I find them annoying.  So we're really watching only Noah's performances - I don't think we're the target demo for this show!  

And of course I loved Noah's solo, both live and studio.  A bit Imagine Dragons at times which is a plus for us.  It looks unlikely that he'll make it to the finale so I hope he finds his way as an indie artist after the show.

• Love 3

Current standings right now:

2. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "I Want to Know what Love Is"
3. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Both Sides Now"
4. Chloe Kohanski/Noah Mac - Team Blake/Team Jennifer: "Wicked Games"
5. Red Marlow - Team Blake: "Go Rest on that Mountain"
11. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Faithfully"
14. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Gravity"
15. Adam Cunningham/Red Marlow - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Can't You See?"
20. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "I'm Already There"
21. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "River"
33. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "What Hurts the Most"
34. Addison Agen/Keisha Renee - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Strong Enough"
41. Brooke Simpson/Davon Fleming - Team Miley/Team Jennifer: "Earned It"

MST bumps coming soon.

• Love 3

Red: Whoever actually came up with Go Rest High on that Mountain...kudos. Genius game play. I'll be very surprised if Red isn't voted into the finale now. Actually the strongest his voice has been pretty much in the entire competition which can't hurt his cause.

Chloe: She's been my favorite since her blind, but I haven't been as enamored with her the last couple weeks. I still think she's making the finale but it's not as much of a done deal in my mind now.

Addison: I wouldn't have gone back to the Joni Mitchell well if I was her and Adam. I thought the first 45 seconds were about as weak as she's been in the entire competition (I struggled to understand her words too). She rallied in the second half of the song which may sneak her into the finale...but if I was her I'd be mentally preparing myself to sing for that last finale spot in the twitter save just in case. I'm trying to believe that the duets won't really move the needle much for any of them (except maybe Chloe and more importantly Noah)....but her performance and the pairing of her and Keisha and the Sheryl Crow song choice didn't do her any favors.

Brooke: The show clearly wants Miley represented in the finale giving Brooke the show closer. Somewhat of a strange song choice for her, I liked it for the most part. She's absolutely singing for the twitter save if she's not voted directly in.

Adam: The show clearly wants him to not even make the twitter save (because they fear country fans lol) so they put him up 1st. He was fine, but with 8 solos and 4 duets...it's almost impossible to go first and not be forgotten by the end of the show. I'll say the show gets it's wish and he finishes 7th or 8th.

Keisha: Wasn't her night IMO. Wrong song(s). If I was guessing I'd think she misses the twitter sing off too.

Davon: Skipped, not my cup of tea in the least. It feels like he'll probably finish 6th and make the sing off...

Noah: The duet with Chloe will help some. The kid needs to realize that when he sings low, soft and dramatic (particularly at the start of verses)...you still actually need to be audible.

• Love 3

Red, and Adam too: snoooooore. boring. Their performances are a good excuse for a pee break or to grab more beer, very slowly, from the fridge. They're boring and I find country to be boring also, so yeah, not a fan. 

Addison: I don't find her unique. I feel like the Voice always has "old soul" teenage girls who are "beyond their years". Also I'm picky about Joni Mitchell covers. I've yet to hear anyone doing a Joni Mitchell song who blew me away and made it their own. 

Keisha and Brooke's voices are just way too sharp and screechy for me. Keisha is slightly less obnoxious. I miss Janice.

Davon: I like his personality and like his song for the most part, but I wouldn't want to listen to an entire album of his.

Chloe: She's fine. She'll probably win, but there have been some songs she's done that I feel like I completely missed the boat on, while everyone else raved about her. Dido's 'Thank You' performance comes to mind, for example. No, just no. Her hair tonight reminded me of Christina Aguilera's 'fro wig. :P
the-voice-christina-aguilera-outfit-lady-marmalade.thumb.jpg.938945d18f6a9ffbcab5645c91362f1a.jpg

Noah: Full disclosure I'm totally biased and feel like he can barely do any wrong because he's a local kid. Also this should count against him, because he reminds me way too much of my ex (except my ex is brunette and like 15 years older than him), but somehow it doesn't. I'd hope he'd go the indie route. While his voice may not be the strongest, I think he exudes an intriguing charm and seems creative enough to have a chance at sticking out in a positive way.

• Love 4

New results with MST bumps:

1. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "I Want to Know what Love Is"
3. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Both Sides Now"
4. Chloe Kohanski/Noah Mac - Team Blake/Team Jennifer: "Wicked Games"
7. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Faithfully"
13. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Gravity"
14. Adam Cunningham/Red Marlow - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Can't You See?"
16. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "River"
17. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "I'm Already There"
22. Addison Agen/Keisha Renee - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Strong Enough"
24. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "What Hurts the Most"
35. Brooke Simpson/Davon Fleming - Team Miley/Team Jennifer: "Earned It"

Chloe hits the top, Brooke reaches the top ten, Noah leapfrogs Adam's solo and closes in on his duet with Red, and Addison and Keisha's duet passes up Keisha's solo.

• Love 1

I haven’t been the biggest Brooke fan thus far, but I really responded to her energy tonight, both in her solo and the duet.

Maybe I just haven’t noticed until now, but Chloe had some funky pronunciation going on (“dweam” for example). My wife thought she spotted an Invisalign tonight- has this been an issue previously?

Chloe is currently at 1, 4, 56, 86, 100, and 132 - six in the top 200 including her duet with Noah.

Addison is currently 3, 24, 121, and 179 - four in the top 200 including her duet with Keisha.

Congratulations to both, that is some accomplishment.  

Noah is currently 4, 16,  and 171 including his duet with Chloe

Brooke is currently 10, 39, and 71 including her duet with Davon

Not bad for these two either.

Davon is currently 12 and 39 including his duet with Brooke

Redi is at currently 5 and 19 including his duet with Adam

Adam is currently 15 and 19 including his duet with Red

Keisha is currently 24 and 28 including her duet with Addison

I hope the ones selling the most end up in the final.  

I can't remember any other season where I didn't have a favorite going into the finals. I've kind of given up on Keisha who loses me whenever she stops singing with her beautiful voice and goes into the screeching thing.  I'm glad she's doing what she wants, the way she wants to, but I don't see her breaking into country music with it and that style...it's already everywhere.

Davon is the same way to me. I like his voice and about 40% of his performance. Then he goes into a style I just don't appreciate (I'm a big fan of lots of jazz/blues/soul singing but whatever the style these performers do is called, it's a turn off.)

Adam C.   For a lot of his performances, if I'd never heard the song before, I might like it.  Like this one. But the Lonestar version is so delicate and beautiful so, again, he just seemed overdoing it.

Then there's Red.  To me, since I think he really doesn't "play" guitar, I was glad to finally see him without it. And I took Miley's comment about "you're so authentic which is why you don't have your guitar tonight" as probably echoing what people backstage have been saying for weeks. And then he confirmed it's purpose, "This song has so much emotion that you really don't need the guitar to hide behind."  Yeah. It's not supposed to just be a prop.  Good for him for  going without it.

That said, I think "semi-finals" is  great for him and he really shouldn't advance ove r some of the others.

My choices for finals: Chloe, Noah, Addison, Brooke.  All deserving of getting that far--and would also give every coach someone.  I assume Noah will win, but could be any of the others as well, depending on song selection..

• Love 3

New results with PST bumps:

1. Chloe Kohanski - Team Blake: "I Want to Know what Love Is"
2. Addison Agen - Team Adam: "Both Sides Now"
3. Chloe Kohanski/Noah Mac - Team Blake/Team Jennifer: "Wicked Games"
6. Brooke Simpson - Team Miley: "Faithfully"
8. Davon Fleming - Team Jennifer: "Gravity"
12. Noah Mac - Team Jennifer: "River"
14. Adam Cunningham/Red Marlow - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Can't You See?"
16. Adam Cunningham - Team Adam: "I'm Already There"
20. Addison Agen/Keisha Renee - Team Adam/Team Blake: "Strong Enough"
22. Keisha Renee - Team Blake: "What Hurts the Most"
24. Brooke Simpson/Davon Fleming - Team Miley/Team Jennifer: "Earned It"

This is the tightest week so far.  Chloe, Addison, and Chloe and Noah's duet all go one, two, and three.  Red has the multiplier, but Brooke secures it for the second week in a row, and Davon gets it for his first time.  Noah can also get it with continuous sales throughout the night and tomorrow morning.  He passed up both Adam's solo and his duet with Red.  Addison and Keisha's duet, Keisha's single, and Brooke and Davon's duet remain as the bottom three, but at least they've moved up.

More to come later.

• Love 4

Can someone explain the appeal of Chloe to me? I've watched every singing contest ever, never missed an ep of American Idol, been watching The Voice since season 2.... but I do not get this girl. I'm a fan of low tones but hers sound near-demonic. She doesn't have a great range and what range she does sing in is not pleasant to me.

I see she charts at the top nearly every week, so clearly I'm in the minority. I'm rooting for Noah, Keisha, Brooke, and Addison, but I see there's no way Chloe won't be making top 4. Why do people love her so much? I doubt I'll be converted but I'd love to understand why people are gravitating toward her voice. I don't buy her as "rock" at all. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I miss Janice.

You can't say that enough.  I can't hear it enough.  I hope there's somebody somewhere in the music biz/Broadway, whatever - to give this girl her due.  I'd buy her music; better yet, go to see her show.  I lost 99% of my interest in this show when she left.

13 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Can someone explain the appeal of Chloe to me? I've watched every singing contest ever, never missed an ep of American Idol, been watching The Voice since season 2.... but I do not get this girl

You and me both.  She mediocre, at best.  It pains me that she's still here and Janice is gone.

• Love 3

The most shocking thing to me about these standings is the "Wicked Games" Duet.  I thought it was dreadful.  I really really hated it.  Not only were their eyes dead - they both SOUNDED dead.

Like Zombies indeed.  And that awful staging.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I love this season. It is probably my favorite ever. I am SO invested in Chloe, Addison, Brooke, and Noah. I just love them all.

Season 3 was my favorite. There were really exceptional singers present (Amanda Brown, for one). Sadly they all lost to Cassadee who I considered mediocre at best. Sadly, I think the same thing is going to happen with Chloe this season. In a season with so many powerful voices, it's like they all cancel each other out and viewers grab onto the most pop-friendly female artist there is. 

In further analysis, Devon has tanked for me since this save song last week. It's been a pitchy, shouty, screachy mess - so odd since he was, IMO, the best vocalist present until last week.

Noah doesn't have a great range, but he's Rebel Without a Cause meets Riverdale and I think he can only get better. He has the stage presence, and his lower register is captivating. I also love is slightly off-beat song choices like Electric Love and Like a River - both songs deserve more mainstream presence and I love that he's giving that to them.

• Love 4

I wish that Noah had more of a fan base. He deserves to be in next week's final and the only contestant I would download past this season.

As for the Chosen Princesses Anna and Elsa (aka Chloe and Addison), one may have a career if she can come up with some original stuff (Addison) and the other may be working as the lead singer for a tribute band with a female lead singer (Chloe). Most likely, Chloe will be singing in that has been Voice Vegas show in the future if she wins.

Also, maybe my hearing is failing me, but the comparisons between Addison and Adele have to got to stop. Yes, she has a decent tone (I will admit to that), but otherwise I am underwhelmed by her. Adele has never done that for me.

Red for the win. No, I am not a fan of his, but Anna and Elsa may cancel each other out, making it easy for him to win thanks to Blake's country mafia and Adam's eventual departure..

Brooke screamed the dead up with her Journey song. I think she also woke up my deceased grandparents as well.

I still had to get use to Davon singing a song originally performed by a man. He had less runs, but I don't think that's enough for him. Also, Keisha? It's been real. I hope you find a genre you are comfortable with and hopefully a producer to help cut down your runs as you did with that Addison duet.

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 4

I know iTunes don't necessarily show who's leading in votes, but Chloe has been so consistently at the top, either at #1 or close to it week after week that I don't see how she doesn't win. I'm no Voice historian, in fact I've missed a few seasons, but has anyone ever dominated the charts like she has and NOT won? Even her duet is at #3, and (IMO) it wasn't all that great. 

My faves, like many other peeps here, are Noah, Addison, Chloe and Brooke. I'm fine with any of them winning, even though I'm convinced it will be Chloe. I am pretty worried that Red will take Noah's spot in the top 4, though. Especially if it comes down to a Twitter save, since Noah's a NorCal boy and us West Coast viewers get screwed when it comes to Twitter voting. I hope he picked a good song.

Can someone remind me how it works tonight? The two at the bottom are eliminated, the two at the top are safe, and the middle four have to sing for the last two spots? Or are three safe and then three sing for the final spot?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

Can someone remind me how it works tonight? The two at the bottom are eliminated, the two at the top are safe, and the middle four have to sing for the last two spots? Or are three safe and then three sing for the final spot?

Three safe, two automatically eliminated, and three sing for the last spot.

• Love 2

I honestly don't get the Chloe, Noah and Addison love fest.    They lacked voice range and emotional connection to the songs they sing.  And I think they've coasted by on fan popularity.    The best voices this season by far were Janice, Jon, Brooke, Davon, Keisha, Moriah, Emily, Hannah, Ignatius and Chris Weaver.  Unfortunately the latter five didn't make the cut and three of the former will probably be shown the exit tonight.  

Edited by Xica
  • Love 2

Others have said this, but it bears repeating - Keisha is NOT a country artist. Singing a country song with all her runs and screeching does not make her country. I was thinking of a version of “What Hurts the Most” from years ago which was done by a German dance music act called Cascada. They did covers of popular songs in their own style with a dance music background, and I really liked them. In fact, I heard their version of WHTM before I heard the Rascal Flatts version (because I don’t really listen to country music) and I didn’t realize it was a country song! My point is, they put their own spin on it, as Keisha does hers, but they would never in a million years claim that they were country artists! It just bugs me that Keisha does, and that the judges go along with it. 

Chloe had been losing me the last couple of weeks. Her lower notes do sometimes sound “”demonic” as someone said, and her loud high notes sometimes sound strained. I wouldn’t mind her winning, though - she is talented and unique. Maybe the strain is getting to her. 

Noah is still my favorite. Can’t believe Red is still here. Never underestimate the power of the country fan base. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

I know iTunes don't necessarily show who's leading in votes, but Chloe has been so consistently at the top, either at #1 or close to it week after week that I don't see how she doesn't win. I'm no Voice historian, in fact I've missed a few seasons, but has anyone ever dominated the charts like she has and NOT won? Even her duet is at #3, and (IMO) it wasn't all that great. 

My faves, like many other peeps here, are Noah, Addison, Chloe and Brooke. I'm fine with any of them winning, even though I'm convinced it will be Chloe. I am pretty worried that Red will take Noah's spot in the top 4, though. Especially if it comes down to a Twitter save, since Noah's a NorCal boy and us West Coast viewers get screwed when it comes to Twitter voting. I hope he picked a good song.

Lauren Duski was the strongest on iTunes last season. Hunter was also very strong on iTunes most of the season but didn’t make the finale. I think Billy Gilman was also strong on iTunes his season , although he and Sundance may have been more neck and neck in that regard. I think Addison very much still has a chance to win without it even being a shock. Chloe has done well but she hasn’t closed the door on other possible winners yet. 

Tonight is top 3 get saved, middle 3 sing for 1 spot, and bottom 2 are cut automatically.

Chloe, Noah, Addison, Red, and Brooke all got bonuses this week.

I hate that they're using the Twitter save to get the last spot in the Finals.  I despise the Twitter save, anyway., but using it this late in the game is especially atrocious, as only the Eastern half of the country's votes count. 

Chloe and Addison are locks.  I see Brooke getting the third spot and then Noah, Red and Davon singing for the final spot. Noah would be the lock here, due to fangirl Twitter usage. 

• Love 2

I don't have a horse in this race and don't give a care who wins. I watch, or rather, listen, while working so miss which singers are off-key and hurting my ears, but there were a few last night. Ouch. And I'm not a country fan by any means, but I appreciated Red just SINGING that song instead of screeching and screaming through it, which is what the coaches seem to encourage. Someone is scream-singing at the top of their lungs and the coaches are on their feet clapping. I don't get that. I think of Adele, who can stand on the stage w/o jumping around or screaming or having fireworks go off, she just sings straightforward with her beautiful voice. A good voice is all I need to appreciate a singer. I can't imagine some of these people even having vocal chords left in five years.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I can't imagine some of these people even having vocal chords left in five years.

For real! I love power vocalists, but as we've seen with the best of the best - Whitney before her untimely passing, Babs, Mariah, Christina, even Julie Andrews - that power goes and leaves ravaged vocal chords in its wake. The only ones who really retained their voices are Aretha and Celine.

Brooke, Devon, and even Chloe with her weak range sound half dead. Noah at least doesn't sound like he's dying to hit his notes. Addison is one who actually sings well within her register and displays command of her voice. Keisha is also killing her voice. I can see people appreciating Red for pure singing without trying to break a sound system.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Can someone explain the appeal of Chloe to me? I've watched every singing contest ever, never missed an ep of American Idol, been watching The Voice since season 2.... but I do not get this girl. I'm a fan of low tones but hers sound near-demonic. She doesn't have a great range and what range she does sing in is not pleasant to me.

I see she charts at the top nearly every week, so clearly I'm in the minority. I'm rooting for Noah, Keisha, Brooke, and Addison, but I see there's no way Chloe won't be making top 4. Why do people love her so much? I doubt I'll be converted but I'd love to understand why people are gravitating toward her voice. I don't buy her as "rock" at all. 

I like when Chloe sang Landslide and Total Eclipse of the Heart.  So last night, when she said that she wanted to capture those two moments and with the chosen Foreigner song, I was excited to hear it.  I was extemrely disappointed.  Maybe, I need to hear it again but I don't get the love or why so many people bought it.  I thought it was a miss and she was off-key.

OTOH, I also think that there were a lot of over singing.  Davon and Brook's duet sounded great at the beginning.  Brook had a sexy tone to her voice.  Then they started screaming at the end and they lost me.  Keisha took out all the emotion from the RF song by over singing it.  Sometimes, simplicity is best.

Don't like country so I hope Red doesn't take a finale spot.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 3

Chloe is currently my favorite and I don't see that changing. Probably this is because I like her voice and style (although her styling and the staging last night was not my favorite), but also because I like the song choices. Like "Chandelier", "Eclipse" is a song that I devote playlists to, and buy pretty much anyone's version.

If I could choose for Chloe it would be either "Million Reasons", or perhaps "Perfect Illusion". A variety of Pink's songs also come to mind. I'm assuming and hoping that she will be one of the four finalists.

There are times when I haven't followed through on an entire season of TV. There was a long haired guy- Sawyer?- whom I could not take. Alisan Porter was another; I think the fix was obviously in far too early. More recently I stopped watching when Vanessa Ferguson was eliminated. And I could not watch a minute when Usher was a coach.

It was a surprise to me that I was neutral on Red's solo last night; I usually just mute him. What a pleasant surprise it was; he actually just sang. I also liked Noah more than I expected. Keisha should go home. Red and Adam too. I think Davon is personally appealing but he is yelling, screeching and oversinging, especially in his more recent performances.  Still miss Janice and just say to myself "what?"

4 hours ago, Magic said:

I am afraid that Red might take either Brooke or Noah's spot.

It's not Brooke or Noah's spot, it's whoever gets voted in or saved spot. 

This is something I hate about reality shows when people (in rl and on reality shows) say that someone should have that spot  or be in the final tribal. Whoever gets it gets it . No one gets to put their name down for any final. 

Personality I prefer Red to Brooke and Noah.

4 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

I am pretty worried that Red will take Noah's spot in the top 4, though.

Same. I'm afraid Red will beat out Noah or Brooke. He had a great night last night I think.

4 hours ago, Xica said:

I honestly don't get the Chloe, Noah and Addison love fest.    They lacked voice range and emotional connection to the songs they sing. 

It's just a MMV thing. I think those three have a ton of emotional connection to the songs. As for range, it means nothing to me. 

4 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I can't see any of these people going on to stardom. 

Hardly anyone from this show ever does. I just watch it for what it is and then forget about everyone on it the second the season's over lol. Although I will almost certainly keep tabs on Chloe, Addison, and probably Noah and Brooke from this season.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Then they started screaming at the end and they lost me. 

My pet peeve is the over-singing.  It's not going to stop, though, since they are being rewarded by the fans and the judges (JHud).  

• Love 2

I thought this was a really good episode.  Though none of the duets were all that great, the solos ranged from decent to very good.  I think my favorites were between Brooke, Davon, and Chloe.  Brooke and Davon matched my favorite performances of the season from them.  Chloe gave me goosebumps, despite the fact that she clearly had some voice issues.  She better rest her vocal cords for the finale.  I really hope she does Lady Gaga next week ("Million Reasons" would be perfect).  I think she's gone as far as she can with these 80's hits.

I'd rate Addison and Noah just behind those three.  Addison had a tentative start before soaring through the rest of the song.   I really liked Noah's performance and song choice, but his vocals were a bit uneven.  Despite this, it was his best of the live shows.

Red and Adam did competent covers of their songs, but I didn't hear anything particularly interesting or special about them.  I have to admit I just didn't like Keisha's take on "What Hurts the Most".  While she certainly showed off her vocal range nicely, I guess maybe I'm too tied to the original.

Overall, I agree with those who would like to see a final with Chloe, Addison, Brooke, and Noah.  Unfortunately, Red seems likely to make it in place of one of those four.  I predict Addison, Chloe and Red will be the top 3, with Brooke winning the sing-off against Noah and Keisha.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I don't get it either.  I don't think she's even in the same league with some of the other vocalists on the show.  I voted for two people, so, we'll see what happens.  It's still mainly a competition for money.  Well, that's how I see it.  I would think that all of them could use the money.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Oh, Gawd, Davon - would someone tell him to stop screaming, please?

This. I actually put my fingers in my ears and left the room because I couldn't find the remote fast enough to mute him.

• Love 1

I think this is what Chloe and Noah were aiming for but fell short of ever hitting the distinct high note.  Their version seemed it never could make it out of fourth gear.  It was an uneven night and at this point in the competition it does feel like very few minds are going to change regarding personal favorites.  I said weeks ago that the whole season felt lackluster and I stand by it because there are some nice personalities, nice voices, and some nice personalities with nice voices but not enough star power to be memorable.  Based on body of work I'm hoping for Addison or Chloe to win and I hope the finale is a good night for all of them.

And I will be back every season and can't wait for Idol to start either (as cheesy as it is).