Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Too Many Hippies and Huevos Rancheros

paulvdb

This is the Bonnie I like.  Somewhat clueless and selfish, says dumb things, but means well and wants to be there for her friends.  Adam's explanation to Patrick about Plunkettville and AA was funny.  "So they are like superheroes with a weakness for gin."

• Love 11

The stroke storyline is just sad, and I suspect they're moving towards Marjorie's husband dying. I guess it's a good thing we never saw much of him but it will be sad for Marjorie. It's interesting how they keep working drama into the show.

I sort of didn't get what was going on with Bonnie in the background while Christy and Patrick were eating in the hospital cafeteria. Was she trying to spy on them or was she legitimately lost?

• Love 1

Last year, I detested Adam. This year, he seems quite likable (so far), he started out pretty well last season and then they just proceeded to make his character so unpleasant. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and he goes back to being annoying!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I loved Bonnie getting lost in the hospital and walking in circles. As someone with no sense of direction, it amused me greatly.

Hospitals are the worst, every turn looks the same as the last - why are they designed like that? I was watching with my sister and we both cracked up over the realness of that scene.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I sort of didn't get what was going on with Bonnie in the background while Christy and Patrick were eating in the hospital cafeteria. Was she trying to spy on them or was she legitimately lost?

I think she legit went down there to get Marjorie some tea, then maybe tried to spy a bit, then she definitely got lost trying to get out. So, a little of everything!

• Love 6

Last year, I detested Adam. This year, he seems quite likable (so far), he started out pretty well last season and then they just proceeded to make his character so unpleasant. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and he goes back to being annoying!

When they introduced Patrick it really put Adam in a bad light - assuming what Patrick is saying about their business is true, and it appears to be. It makes Adam look like a lazy, entitled spoiled brat. 

I think the show just likes having William Fichtner as a regular, and now the character is starting to morph into something that "fits" the whole dynamic better. Sitting around being the good guy doesn't really work long-term, so the character has to be flawed like the rest of the regulars.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I really hope their not going to do a Marjorie relapse with this storyline. It would be interesting in the shift in group dynamic but it would just be to super sad. 

I have been saying for awhile that the show does need to do a relapse story and with the level of drug usage the show has alluded to Marjorie doing and the life she lead pre AA it would be sad but also enlightening and kinda funny.

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I have been saying for awhile that the show does need to do a relapse story and with the level of drug usage the show has alluded to Marjorie doing and the life she lead pre AA it would be sad but also enlightening and kinda funny.

This woman has been through a lot and this just seems like something (the husband having a stroke her caring for an invalid 24/7) that after the cancer and after  her getting through the Jodi death would just push her to far I could see the relapse story happening for her and what would that mean for the rest of the group since she’s always been the rock. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When they introduced Patrick it really put Adam in a bad light - assuming what Patrick is saying about their business is true, and it appears to be. It makes Adam look like a lazy, entitled spoiled brat. 

I think the show just likes having William Fichtner as a regular, and now the character is starting to morph into something that "fits" the whole dynamic better. Sitting around being the good guy doesn't really work long-term, so the character has to be flawed like the rest of the regulars.

I wish writers would remember there is a difference between giving characters flaws and layers, and just making them so unpleasant, they are no longer fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This woman has been through a lot and this just seems like something (the husband having a stroke her caring for an invalid 24/7) that after the cancer and after  her getting through the Jodi death would just push her to far I could see the relapse story happening for her and what would that mean for the rest of the group since she’s always been the rock. 

I agree.  I would hate for Margerie to relapse, but these are the kinds of things that push people over the edge.

A Marjorie relapse would be brutal. Didn't her own sponsor recently relapse after 20 or 30 years sober? Maybe that was to set up Marjorie going that way herself, but I don't want to watch it. There's only so much depressing drama I want to see in a sitcom. 

• Love 3
On December 14, 2017 at 11:07 PM, jewel21 said:

I loved Bonnie getting lost in the hospital and walking in circles. As someone with no sense of direction, it amused me greatly.

I feel your pain. In college to fill a science requirement I took a Psych course. I hated the building because of the layout-it made me feel like a rat in a maze.

On December 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Blakeston said:

I'm amazed by how much they seem like brothers - in appearance, voice and personality.

Casting did a great job. I also loved the way they started hitting each other on the couch. It was like they were kids or teenagers again. They dynamic felt real. 

• Love 3

Completely my speculation, but I think the burglar in the next episode will turn out to be Ray.

Back on topic. I am enjoying the addition of Patrick. And yeah, the first thing I thought of was a Margery relapse. Damn, it would be a tough watch, but all the ladies would act the hell out of it.

Also thought it was good the way they dealt with writing Jill out due to the actress' pregnancy.

• Love 1

I liked the episode too.  I just wish they had done a little more research, though.  I try not to over analyze things, but, I think it's pretty common knowledge that after a stroke, if you can't walk or talk, you go to rehab, where you try to get back all that you can with physical and speech therapy. It's covered by Medicare.   It's not even realistic to have a person who is completely helpless in a bed with no other outside help in the home.  There are teams of people who are involved with patients who go home and still need help.  Just seemed odd to me and not very reasonable.  Still, I like the dynamics.  It's still my favorite comedy hands down. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I try not to over analyze things, but, I think it's pretty common knowledge that after a stroke, if you can't walk or talk, you go to rehab, where you try to get back all that you can with physical and speech therapy. It's covered by Medicare.

Don't mean to be contrary, but isn't possible that Marjorie's partner (can't remember his name) doesn't have insurance or is covered by Medicare?

9 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Don't mean to be contrary, but isn't possible that Marjorie's partner (can't remember his name) doesn't have insurance or is covered by Medicare?

Well, I would think they are at least age 65 and covered by Medicare, but, if not, there is either private insurance and/or Medicaid, if below certain income range.  Bottom line, is that there should be coverage for rehab and/or nursing home care for a stroke victim who can't move or speak.  In fact, if you aren't able to demonstrate how they would be cared for in the home, the hospital would not release the patient.  They'd need Hoyer lift, special equipment for feeding, hygiene, special beds to prevent skin breakdown,  etc.  But, I suppose the show just didn't want to go there, though, it might have been an opportunity, to have taken the show into a nursing home setting.  I could see how they have involved some of the rowdy seniors in some fun scenes. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In fact, if you aren't able to demonstrate how they would be cared for in the home, the hospital would not release the patient. 

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

But, I suppose the show just didn't want to go there, though, it might have been an opportunity, to have taken the show into a nursing home setting.  I could see how they have involved some of the rowdy seniors in some fun scenes. 

Right, I can understand the show not going there.  It looks like this is going to be a story about Marjorie, who is normally the caregiver (sponsor) of the group and someone with long-term sobriety, asking for help from the people has been helping.

• Love 1

I havent seen the last episode - but perhaps Victor ended up less disabled than first thought, but still needed Marjorie's help. But all of the above is true; if he was unable to walk he definitely needed some kind of nursing care.