Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Last Chance Kitchen

Bastet
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I miss Marcel already.  Leopard glasses can go home any day now.

Yeah I was sort of neutral but she bugged me here.  Sorry to see Marcel go.  I'm glad we still have Kwame and his flatbread looked really good.

If anyone's interested, Amazon sells those exact cans of dehydrated zebra tarantula (yuck). 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, ILikeCakeBatter said:

her dig at Marcel shows her lack of class and maturity.

Yes, she easily could have left out that "I'm not impressed by his celebrity" - I mean, what was the point? It just makes her look bad, not Marcel.

Kwame looked sick about the tarantula from beginning to end. I don't blame him. I was eating and had to stop. I didn't even look at the screen most of the time.

• Love 3

Anybody here familiar with the most influential book in my library?  1984.  Room 101, which contained The Worst Thing In The World.  For Winston Smith, it was rats.  For me, it would be tarantulas.

Frankly, I would have had to walk off the set.  No amount of conditioning could help me to overcome the aversion and fear.  Why couldn't they have found an unusual ingredient like the New Zealand poopberry or something?

I thought this gimmick cheapened the reputation of Top Chef.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I thought this gimmick cheapened the reputation of Top Chef.

But tarantula and other insects are eaten in other parts of the world so why it might be somewhat new to the American palate I wouldn’t call it a "gimmick".

• Love 7
On 12/9/2017 at 11:03 AM, Wings said:

Yes.  Marcel has a version of that stupid hair cut all men have now.  Clippered on sides and back with a longer top does NOT look good on everyone.  Take a tip from women and choose a style that suits you and don't just copy the recent trend.  Sheeesh

We call that the Nazi hair cut. Watch any WWII movie made during or shortly after the war, and most Nazis had that hair cut. Although others did, too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Except Marcel's is super long on top -- when he turned, you could see it kind of gathered in back.

Yes, I noticed the length sometime after I posted.  This is the one I don't like.  I do like long tops.

C_zOqKIVoAA90Y4.jpg

Edited by Wings
On 12/15/2017 at 3:40 PM, ILikeCakeBatter said:

Marcel has certainly matured and comes across much more positively the past few years.  Claudette has a nasty personality and her dig at Marcel shows her lack of class and maturity.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:10 AM, aquarian1 said:

I am so sad Marcel is gone.  I probably won't watch anymore and will just read about this.  

A poster on the main thread for episode 2 made a comment which I agree with and IMO sums up why Marcel going out while Claudette won and stayed left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, chiaros said:

A poster on the main thread for episode 2 made a comment which I agree with and IMO sums up why Marcel going out while Claudette won and stayed left a bad taste in my mouth.

Apparently Marcel's dish left a bad taste or at least a worst taste than Claudette's in Tom's mouth.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently Marcel's dish left a bad taste or at least a worst taste than Claudette's in Tom's mouth.

No doubt. And was the reason why Tom C sent Marcel off.

But the reason for my comment encompassed more than just the physical taste of the dishes, but related to how the characters of each contestant came through and/or colored one's reactions to them, as suggested by the idiom of "leaving a bad taste in one's mouth", something that some folks might recognize in the language.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

a challenge with an ingredient no one has ever cooked or would ever eat. Ridiculous.

They do eat them in southern Mexico (and elsewhere - the canned ones are Cambodian, I believe) and Claudette's specialty is Mexican cooking.  I know they are on the menu in some Mexican restaurants in the USA, although I've never eaten them myself.  I have eaten chipolines (crickets) and ants more than once in Mexico - insects have become a *itty-bitty* kind of  culinary fad in NYC, I'm told.  And elsewhere, I'm sure.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/06/insect-cuisine-in-new-york-city.html

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Not trying to pick a fight here, but they eat dog in Korea - and I love Korean food, but have my limits.  

Our last day in Seoul we were wandering around an open-air market and BAM!  There was a butchered (boy) dog on a slab.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

We'd seen our share of boiled silkworms, but doggie on a chopping block was just too much for me.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, spiderpig said:

Not trying to pick a fight here, but they eat dog in Korea

I think I know what you're saying - but most people's discomfort with eating dog comes from the opposite reason with the discomfort they feel eating spiders and insects.  I assume that you, too, were revolted by dog in the market because you like dogs, not because you're afraid of/disgusted by them.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I think I know what you're saying - but most people's discomfort with eating dog comes from the opposite reason with the discomfort they feel eating spiders and insects.  I assume that you, too, were revolted by dog in the market because you like dogs, not because you're afraid of/disgusted by them.

You are absolutely right.  Eating dog would be equivalent to eating humans in my mind.  But I am terrified and repelled by insects and arachnids.  (How about an arachnid on a dog?  Our pup had a bloated tick in her ear last week and Mr. pig and I practically barfed.)

I just feel TC didn't need to go there with the tarantulas.  They could have selected another revolting ingredient like carrots (old family joke because I hate them!).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Not trying to pick a fight here, but they eat dog in Korea - and I love Korean food, but have my limits.  

Our last day in Seoul we were wandering around an open-air market and BAM!  There was a butchered (boy) dog on a slab.  I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

We'd seen our share of boiled silkworms, but doggie on a chopping block was just too much for me.

Good for you on your fast departure!

We all have our "total ick" things....I draw the line at spiders, TYVM.  But there are other things I wouldn't want to eat.  Horse meat, dogs or cats, guinea pigs and iguanas (these are pets!).  I have eaten alligator, though, go figure, being a Florida Gator, LOL.  I think I'd try snake, too. 

But there are many 3rd world countries where adequate protein is a problem, so good for them for eating what they have, I won't judge others on this one.

P.S [ETA]. Spiderpig.....do you know how many sub-classifications of arachnids there are?  I do....my 1st grade grandson came home three years ago (time flies!) and we had to look it up.  TMI.  I wish this episode had aired a couple of seeks ago, I'd have ordered a can of tarantula for a stocking stuffer.  It would have been SO worth it for the gross-out factor.  Grandson fancies himself to be pretty fair cook.  And it would have freaked his mom way the Hell out, LOL!

Edited by Blonde Gator
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Blonde Gator said:

P.S [ETA]. Spiderpig.....do you know how many sub-classifications of arachnids there are?  I do....my 1st grade grandson came home three years ago (time flies!) and we had to look it up.  TMI.  I wish this episode had aired a couple of seeks ago, I'd have ordered a can of tarantula for a stocking stuffer.  It would have been SO worth it for the gross-out factor.  Grandson fancies himself to be pretty fair cook.  And it would have freaked his mom way the Hell out, LOL!

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Blondie - you ol' sadist!

• Love 2

HAHAHA!! To be fair, we had both pork tenderloin and prime rib at a church luncheon yesterday. :)

I swear, the guy who does most of the cooking at church functions should try out for this show. His bread pudding was so good I brought home 4 helpings. 

• Love 1
On 12/16/2017 at 5:07 PM, biakbiak said:

But tarantula and other insects are eaten in other parts of the world so why it might be somewhat new to the American palate I wouldn’t call it a "gimmick".

The cultures that eat bugs can continue do so, out of my range of vision.  I saw this as a gimick too. It was out of the  Chopped playbook. 

5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

HAHAHA!! To be fair, we had both pork tenderloin and prime rib at a church luncheon yesterday. :)

I swear, the guy who does most of the cooking at church functions should try out for this show. His bread pudding was so good I brought home 4 helpings. 

Thief!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

They do eat them in southern Mexico (and elsewhere - the canned ones are Cambodian, I believe) and Claudette's specialty is Mexican cooking.  I know they are on the menu in some Mexican restaurants in the USA, although I've never eaten them myself.  I have eaten chipolines (crickets) and ants more than once in Mexico - insects have become a *itty-bitty* kind of  culinary fad in NYC, I'm told.  And elsewhere, I'm sure.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/06/insect-cuisine-in-new-york-city.html

Crickets have entered the health food market here.  Apparently they are a good protein source.  Cricket flour and cricket corn chips are 2 products presented on Shark Tank last year. 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:27 AM, Wings said:

Crickets have entered the health food market here.  Apparently they are a good protein source

This always cracks me up as a reason to eat insects.  I mean how much protein can there be in a cricket?  ;)   It's second only to "It tastes like chicken" in my book.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Special K said:
On 12/18/2017 at 6:27 AM, Wings said:

Crickets have entered the health food market here.  Apparently they are a good protein source

This always cracks me up as a reason to eat insects.  I mean how much protein can there be in a cricket?  ;)   It's second only to "It tastes like chicken" in my book.

I totally agree.  I was just reporting their selling point!  We don't need as much protein as many think, either.  And lol at the chicken reference.  :) 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Special K said:

I had cricket tacos in Puerto Vallarta. I think they are mostly crunchy from the exoskeleton; there's can't be much "meat" there!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

I had cricket tacos in Puerto Vallarta. I think they are mostly crunchy from the exoskeleton; there's can't be much "meat" there!

Crickets are often turned into a flour where many are used on an oz by oz basis they have more than twice the protein as beef.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Crickets are often turned into a flour where many are used on an oz by oz basis they have more than twice the protein as beef.

If they were dried and then ground into a fine powder  I might try cricket flour.  As long as there were no  icky antennae or leg parts or something like that.  Bu tarantulas--that's just sadistic.  Poor Kwame.  I didn't and won't watch the episode but I can certainly understand that he looked sick throughout.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2017 at 10:47 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

That's an interesting point! I found the tarantula gross because there's so much body on it. Like I hate killing an insect big enough to have "guts". So the tarantula legs didn't bother me so much.

On the other side, I've eaten rabbit, yet we had a pet rabbit when I was a kid. I never even thought about it until right now. I was terrified of dogs growing up (as an adult, I've downgraded that to "uncomfortable") so seeing a dog in a market didn't bother me any more than a pig or a trout.

• Love 2

Last chance Kitchen is tweaked every year and they haven’t been explicit as to what they plan this year, and we all know how top chef loves the twist. As far as we know a field of three moves on each episode. As to how and when they get back into the competetion is up in the air

I think the rules all depend on getting the outcome they want. That's why I just can't take this seriously as a competition.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, dleighg said:

didn't George (I think) make it back to the finals after being disposed IIRC first in a season a couple years ago? I think that was the series that Mei won but I could be wrong.

No. That season halfway through the season they brought the eliminated chefs back and they voted for George to get a chance at redemption and had to beat Katie one on one to get back into the competition and she ws eliminated then LCK began with all the eliminated chefs competing at once and three winning to contine in LCK. I think Kristen might still hold the record for most LCK wins.

• Love 1

Goodbye to Laura and Rogelio. I guess they didn't even really make it into the competition. Rogelio is not suited for this competition. No one in their right mind would think it's a good idea to deep fry sour gummy candy. That was a big old durrrr. Unpleasant Claudette wins by doing a mole as is her right. I just don't like her. 

• Love 4

I think Rogelio just needs more experience.  He didn't seem ready to compete with chefs of the caliber of this year's competitors.  Laura is a bit strange.  I thought she seemed a little off right from the first episode and I was glad to see her go.

• Love 4

On this LCK, the chefs had to make a dish pairing two ingredients that don't go together. There were seven baskets to choose from and five chefs cooking with two being eliminated. Their choices were:

Lee Ann: Vanilla Bean and pickles

Claudette: Bonito Flakes and Chocolate

Kwame: Capers and Bananas

Rogelio: Gochujang and Sour Candies

Laura: Garlic and Strawberries

The options not chosen were Licorice and Peanut Butter and Coffee and Anchovy Paste.

Tom said nice things about all the dishes, named Claudette's the best and before naming the two eliminated, said, "Kwame and Lee Ann ...long pause... you're safe." I hate it when Ramsay does it and hated it when Tom did it. The challenge was full of sexual entendres, too.

• Love 1

I was pleased at the chefs who didn't get sent home.  I'm not overly fond of Claudette, but Laura and Rogelio were clearly out of their league.

Do Bravo and Food Network have vested interests in the gummy bear/worm industry?  It seems like they're popping up all the time in competition.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

@spiderpig, remember the gummy skull on Chopped? How the hell was that a food ingredient? 

I mean, really!!!  Why don't they have a block of wood or an old leather shoe as a required ingredient if they're trying to be cute?

They really try my patience sometimes.

8 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I mean, really!!!  Why don't they have a block of wood or an old leather shoe as a required ingredient if they're trying to be cute?

They really try my patience sometimes.

Don't give them any ideas.

little-tramp-charlie-chaplin-eating-shoe

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Christina said:

On this LCK, the chefs had to make a dish pairing two ingredients that don't go together. There were seven baskets to choose from and five chefs cooking with two being eliminated. Their choices were:

Lee Ann: Vanilla Bean and pickles

Claudette: Bonito Flakes and Chocolate

Kwame: Capers and Bananas

Rogelio: Gochujang and Sour Candies

Laura: Garlic and Strawberries

The options not chosen were Licorice and Peanut Butter and Coffee and Anchovy Paste.

6 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Do Bravo and Food Network have vested interests in the gummy bear/worm industry?  It seems like they're popping up all the time in competition.

4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

@spiderpig, remember the gummy skull on Chopped? How the hell was that a food ingredient? 

Lee Ann did a savory chicken dish with vanilla, grapefruit, orange, garlic, and used the pickles as the acid to cut the sweetness.

Claudette did a mole.

Kwame did a Nigerian stew. Nigerian cooking uses plantains all the time, but we don't use pickles. Kwame used the capers to substitute for the saltiness of dried shrimp and fish which is used all the time in Nigerian cooking.

The sour gummy worms were a much better ingredient than was demonstrated by Rogelio. They are sweet covered in citric acid. His basket was spicy, sweet, and sour. It was a very balanced basket, which he promptly screwed up by trying to deep fry the sour gummy worms.

Laura used the strawberries as part of a salsa over fish, but the entire dish was undersalted.

The other baskets were workable too. Peanut butter and licorice leads to using the licorice to substitute for anise or star anise to take you in an Asian direction. The only issue is if you could melt the licorice quickly enough in the challenge to get that anise flavor. The coffee and anchovy paste one is another obvious mole type basket.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5