Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Last Chance Kitchen

Bastet
  • Start Topic

Discuss this season's episodes of LCK here.

(I don't watch programming online, so I never see this, and thus greatly appreciate posters taking the time to note who wins so I can keep up with who's still in contention.)

• Love 2

I love the twist of having those eliminated competing with returnees 

Marcel wins with French fries.  Loved that.  The challenge was potatoes, no need to make a protein.  This happens in the main competition too.  Some try to make too much and often fail. 

Melissa is out of her league and no surprise she left. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 6

I hated Marcel on his first two TC appearances, but have seen him elsewhere since.

He's changed so much, and has become a really pleasant individual, instead of an obnoxious jerk.  He's now my pick to run through LCK and get into the main competition to win the whole thing. 

Marcel still has the audacity, but has banished the jerk.  The "Where Are They Now" clip explains why he's now in a very great place.  Congrats, Marcel, welcome to the world of adults....and I  hope you win it all!

• Love 6

It was great to see familiar chefs and how they've evolved since their original seasons.

Except Jen Carroll.  I was glad to see her go.

Likewise, Melissa was so far out of her depth I would have been shocked had she stayed.

Marcel and Kwame have grown out of their having-to-be-edgy phases and will be very interesting to watch.

• Love 6

I can see Marcel going all the way.  Tom has a soft spot for him which is sweet to see.  .  I don't mean to say he will favor him in judging. 

I was surprised to see him freeze his fries after the first frying.  He mentioned fast food French were so good because they are frozen.  I don't agree.   McDonald's fries were fabulous back when the fried them in lard but no more.  

• Love 2

I love Lee Anne, and I've always been an unapologetic Marcel fan, so I'm really happy to see them both back a little older, (in Marcel's case) a little wiser, and seemingly very content with life right now.  This is going to be fun!

• Love 4

I LOVE LEE ANNE! So happy she's back, and that Melissa bombed so badly with her salmon that she was saved. Am I right in thinking this is the first time she's competed since season one? 

In the episode thread I voiced concern about shenanigans, but I'm okay with this. If you're trying to find a way to bring past contestants back, LCK is the place to do it - not in the regular crop of cheftestants. This was a great two mini-episodes to start things off.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

Am I right in thinking this is the first time she's competed since season one? 

Yes, although she worked behind the scenes for a couple of seasons after she first competed.  Testing out potential challenges, making sure the kitchens were properly stocked, things like that.

• Love 4

I love Marcel (except for his latest hairdo) so I'm hoping he can go all the way this time.  I mentioned once before somewhere that I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago and chat with him for about 10 minutes.  He's very nice in person and he has beautiful eyes.

Jen Carroll looks just awful.

I'll never understand why the loser in LCK is told to exit the kitchen when the fate of the loser is to join the other losers who are sitting right. over. there.  I guess it's dramatic effect or something but it makes no sense.

• Love 6

Taking out the first eliminated cheftestants in LCK will be like shooting fish in a barrel for this trio.  Unless one of the more talented chefs on the main show gets taken out by a fluke; then they might have a fighting chance..  Aside from talent, there's knowing how the game is played and what Tom likes.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I love Lee Anne, and I've always been an unapologetic Marcel fan, so I'm really happy to see them both back a little older, (in Marcel's case) a little wiser, and seemingly very content with life right now.  This is going to be fun!

Same here.  Love them both.

Jen is one of my favorites, I can't stand Marcel, I really like Kwame, and I like what I remember of Lee Anne (I remember liking her personality, but can't place her food), so I was a little bummed before the season even started, but still just excited to get going.

So, as someone who doesn't watch online programming and thus relies on the LCK each season, if you might indulge me in understanding how LCK works this time with the previous contestants competing prior to the new season started: 

Did the four former cheftestants compete for three slots before the competition began (this seems to be yes), and then the three survivors matched up against the cheftestant eliminated in the first elimination challenge (again, that's what it sounds like), so that there are still three of them remaining - either the original three, as happened, or two originals plus the newbie?  And (here's where I'm unclear) will each subsequent LCK consist of the cheftestant eliminated in that round's EC battling against three people?  If so, when/how will LCK be whittled down to one person to join/rejoin the competition near the end?  If not, how does it work?

Thanks in advance.

• Love 1

Last chance Kitchen is tweaked every year and they haven’t been explicit as to what they plan this year, and we all know how top chef loves the twist. As far as we know a field of three moves on each episode. As to how and when they get back into the competetion is up in the air. I’d love for at least one to come back after restaurant wars like they did with Boston. Still in are Marcel, Kwame, and Lee Anne. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, wings707 said:

I can see Marcel going all the way.  Tom has a soft spot for him which is sweet to see.  .  I don't mean to say he will favor him in judging. 

I was surprised to see him freeze his fries after the first frying.  He mentioned fast food French were so good because they are frozen.  I don't agree.   McDonald's fries were fabulous back when the fried them in lard but no more.  

I'm no cook, but flash frying after being frozen should make them a little crunchy on the outside leaving the middle soft! I used to like buying frozen fries when I was younger for that reason not to mention being to lazy to make my own from scratch! If I make them, it's usually home fries for breakfast which doesn't need to be crispy! ;-)

22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Marcel's hair is stupid. Jen needs to get a new colorist.

Yes.  Marcel has a version of that stupid hair cut all men have now.  Clippered on sides and back with a longer top does NOT look good on everyone.  Take a tip from women and choose a style that suits you and don't just copy the recent trend.  Sheeesh

• Love 4
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Marcel's hair is stupid. Jen needs to get a new colorist.

After reading here about how bad Jen looks, I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought she looked fine.  The hair color is just bad for her, I thought, but otherwise fine.  I also agree about Marcel's hair.  It's stupid.  I'd rather the Wolverine 'do again.

• Love 1

Kwame's potato dish and Marcel's fries both looked delicious.

I like both guys and Lee Anne so am glad that Jen was the first one to go; not a fan of hers.

I always enjoy LCK because Tom is so much more at ease and it seems fun, though I'm always suspicious about Tom being the only judge. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Wings said:

Yes.  Marcel has a version of that stupid hair cut all men have now.  Clippered on sides and back with a longer top does NOT look good on everyone.  Take a tip from women and choose a style that suits you and don't just copy the recent trend.  Sheeesh

Maybe Marcel is suffering PTSD from the season where Cliff held him down and shaved his head while the others looked on and laughed.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, kitten59 said:

I was shocked. She looks almost elderly!  WTF??

Not to be mean, but I'd suspect she's got some sort of substance issue.  Her face was beet red, before starting cooking, she's beyond skinny.  Fidgity.  All in all, not good.

• Love 5

I like this version of LCK, where 3 out of four go on.  I hope that stays true for the rest of the season, with - I suppose - a final reckoning at the end of a single person, one might imagine, going on to the main competition - but that too remains to be seen.

Marcel's fried potato batons looked wonderful. I'd liked to have been able to taste them.

P.s. I subscribe to the notion that Marcel has gotten a bum rap all these years, even when he had difficulties getting on with the others in his initial season - where that woman (what was her name now) was particularly obnoxious in defaming all and sundry but especially Marcel.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 3

When I see that kind of accelerated aging, the first thing that comes to mind is meth, unfortunately. I've always been pretty neutral about Jen, but if it's true that she has a drug problem, I feel kind of bad.....but, of course, being a chef and doing drugs is nothing new, as we all know.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:32 AM, chiaros said:

I like this version of LCK, where 3 out of four go on.  I hope that stays true for the rest of the season, with - I suppose - a final reckoning at the end of a single person, one might imagine, going on to the main competition - but that too remains to be seen.

Marcel's fried potato batons looked wonderful. I'd liked to have been able to taste them.

P.s. I subscribe to the notion that Marcel has gotten a bum rap all these years, even when he had difficulties getting on with the others in his initial season - where that woman (what was her name now) was particularly obnoxious in defaming all and sundry but especially Marcel.

I agree.  Her name is Elia. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, biakbiak said:

I think the poster might mean Betty.

I for one hate Marcel solely on his own merits, including but not limited to his obnoxious rapping.

Betty was Marcel's biggest detractor, but his old BUD Elia turned on him as well to be part of the cool kids! She fell in with the a-holes; Sam, Cliff, & Ilan! They were all favorites until the end when they decided to go "fraternity idiots" and assaulted Marcel! I HATE BULLIES! Sam truly lost his mind screaming for no damn good reason at  Marcel! He's slime whether people love the Alpha or not! He really fk'd up going along with those pranks and actions! ;-(

• Love 2
On 12/8/2017 at 8:42 AM, Wings said:

Anyone work for a McDonald’s?  I assume the fries were low temp fried once, frozen and then shipped to the stores that way.  Then they got dumped in the oil, previously lard but now some vegetable concoction.  

Michael Symon restaurants deep fry in lard if you have a hankering.  I don’t like his fries though lol.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Browncoat said:

I barely recognized Jen Carroll, and it wasn't just the awful hair, though that didn't help.

I absolutely did not recognize her!!!  I saw an unfeatured blonde in previews and thought it was a guest judge.  When they introduced her my mouth fell open.  The horrible hair color, the sallow skin, the odd way her neck seemed saggy or wrinkling at such a young age.

when they showed her clips on the show she seemed so polished....poised...classy.  She was from the Eric Ripert tree and had credibility and authority.  Then she went Concrete Blonde and flipped out.

• Love 1

Tying in my comments from the main thread, that eliminated chef was a hot mess.  Salmon and potato chips and whatever else she put in there?  I think a random home chef could have done better.  And she hammered the salmon?  And she cooks fish all day?  Whatever.  I would have asked to have my restaurant name ripped off my bio.  

She said she was so worried about the potatoes that she overlooked the salmon.  Does she hear herself?!!!!   Crayyyyyy.  And she seemed so smug that she hated potatoes and that if you came to Bar Crudo there would be no potatoes.  Perfect.  The thought of that acrid burnt taste of an over cooked potato chip matched with the dry texture of salmon makes my stomach flip.  Ick. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:
On 12/8/2017 at 8:42 AM, Wings said:

Anyone work for a McDonald’s?  I assume the fries were low temp fried once, frozen and then shipped to the stores that way.  Then they got dumped in the oil, previously lard but now some vegetable concoction.  

I saw an interview with Julia Childs and she was asked if she ever ate fast food.  She said she used to love McDonald's fries before they stopped frying them in lard.  Julia could not understand the fear and panic about cooking with lard because using vegetable oil ruins the crispiness and alters the flavor.  I will always remember this interview because I could not believe that the French Chef was being so wistful about missing the original McDonald's fries.  :) 

I just found a part of that interview  

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 5

Fun and funny episode of LC. 

Bummed about Marcel, though.  I used to loathe him with a passion, but as I've seen him compete since his first season of TC, he's matured, and is a thoughtful and excellent chef.  That hair, though, egad!  I wish him well, and one of these days (if he keeps doing this competitive cooking), I hope he wins a big one.  He's one of those rare individuals with so much talent, who's been able to overcome his ego.  I wish him all the best.

• Love 5

This is not on TV -- I don't watch -- would appreciate hearing who wins/loses. Thanks

Edit:. I have never liked the concept of Last Chance Kitchen.  Now they are adding previous contestants????  Please.  Their 15 minutes of fame is done.

Edited by Thumper
On 12/8/2017 at 0:12 AM, Bastet said:

(I don't watch programming online, so I never see this, and thus greatly appreciate posters taking the time to note who wins so I can keep up with who's still in contention.)

9 hours ago, Thumper said:

This is not on TV -- I don't watch -- would appreciate hearing who wins/loses. Thanks

S15-LCK3: Cook a dish with cheese curds & whey & dried tarantula. "Inspired" by Claudette Zepeda-Wilkin's loss in the EC where they had to use cheese in their dishes; and by (presumably) Tom Colicchio's seizing on that Little Miss Muffet nursery rhyme. <rolleyes>

Claudette: "Ha Sikil Pak, Sweet Potato Skins & (deep fried) Tarantula".

Kwame Onwuachi: "Grilled Flatbread with Whey Sauce & Cheese Curds, Crispy Tarantula".

Marcel Vigneron: "Fresh Mozzarella, Heirloom Tomato, Whey Emulsion, Prosciutto, Tarantula Gremolata".

Lee Ann Wong: "Crispy Tarantula over "Grime Time" of Fried Curds & Piquillo Pepper Compote, Whey Honey Vinaigrette".

Winner: Claudette.   Runner-up: Kwame.   Escaped elimination: Lee Ann.   Out: Marcel.

Sad to see Marcel go out.  He did have several Talking Heads where he dwelt on LCK being the way in for chefs from past seasons and even winning Top Chef and felt he could do it too.  I guess this would count as a fulfillment of the often-remarked-upon "foreshadowing" that the Elves use in the editing --- where someone who talks too much (as shown on the show) of something happening --- has that something NOT happening.  From where I sat, without tasting the dishes, Lee Ann's dish seemed worse than Marcel's; but then one of the things that Tom C also said was that Marcel's mozzarella was too dense.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Eww! Dried tarantulas?!?! The Hell?!?! Poor Tom. I don't blame him for needing a drink. So, the Mexican lady with the cute glasses & vibrant lipstick is in & Marcel is out.

I was glad to see Tom have the reaction that most would.  The people who designed that challenge probably got a kick out of Tom having to taste 4 dishes. 

Claudette was smart to make a dish that Tom does not run into and good all by itself.  The familiar can be ho hum.  Another flat bread, another etc.  

Melissa D'Arabian (judge on GGG) said the best way to incorporate an odd ingredient is to add it to something similar in taste.  In this case it would have been mushrooms, they said it had an earthy taste.  I think that is good advice.  In her case she mixed turkey jerky with bacon for a crumble.  

59 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So all 4 LCK chefs (3 vets and 1 recently eliminated from the current TC competition) compete every week?  And the creator of the worst dish is told PYKAG?

They are down to 2 vets.  So it will probably be 4 all new contenders in the end as the vets are eliminated.  I like the idea of 4 chefs.  

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 9:12 PM, Bastet said:

Discuss this season's episodes of LCK here.

I now get LCK On Demand through my cable provider, don't know if that's an option for you.  Very glad because online never worked well for me.

Oh barf.  I can't even look at pictures of tarantulas let alone touch or eat one.

The Elves no doubt thought they were being cute, but I thought the competition was disgusting and a gimmick.

I miss Marcel already.  Leopard glasses can go home any day now.

• Love 8