Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Evan & Henry

Geenee
  • Start Topic

On 24/02/2018 at 11:17 AM, Mumbles said:

How could have anyone endured listening to this bitch debate for any period of time? Given that it’s a team, I have to think she was carried by the team. Can you imagine some client listening to this bitch tell them how to improve their business?  

I initially liked Evan but not so much as the season progressed, yet I have always enjoyed Henry and he was my favourite player by a long shot. BB came on much better than I expected (having watched them on BB), but as the season progressed, I saw some of the Cody arrogance I'd already noticed. Jessica however, is a real piece of work and her innate nastiness came out repeatedly from the midpoint on. So yes, I would call Jessica a bitch. Once. That's all that is necessary. I think all of the posters have figured out that you don't like Evan at all, for various reasons. But calling her a bitch over and over is really offensive to me. Please let's go back to being civilized on this threat.

I was so sad that Henry second guessed himself and didn't get that last correct task checked immediately. I would love for the team to come back. Along with the sexy violinists.

• Love 10
On 2/26/2018 at 11:23 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I can envision them discussing the icons WHILE racing around the boat, not stopping to talk.  Apparently, collecting the pieces took over an hour. 

I kind of wondered why Jen and Kristi didn't, when Jen said on camera she didn't know what the hawk signified and later said she had nothing for Bahrain.  

Yeah trying to discuss while running around is ideal but not sure how heavy the pieces were but the wings looked kind of bulky, I think the idea of trying to run as fast as possible and looking at the symbols and have a coherent conversation about the symbols was probably considered too much effort at the time.  Especially if they were as far behind as has been said and were probably in panic mode by that point.

This was very insightful. It was nice to hear their responses to things that happened over the season, especially the response to Evan. I totally get how frustrating it can be around someone like Evan. But she never seemed like a bad person to me. Henry never seemed to mind Evan taking charge. Yes, she did talk down on him a few times. But Henry knows this about her. He's been her debate partner for years, so he knows what he can handle. He knows her in competitive situations, and he still chooses to be with her. I bet Amazing Race is far from a new type of environment for them in terms of stress and pressure. So chances are that he's come across this version of Evan many times, and he seems fully supportive of her, as she has of him. They have listened to each other and with both of them dealing with stress differently, it seems like when Henry's told Evan that he needs a break to think, she's listened. 

I wonder what a more favorable edit would have been. They could have either cut down the majority of the "criticism" completely or maybe included a TH explaining this on the show. I'm not sure if the latter would have really changed my opinion. It's one thing to be fine with behavior in the context of your own relationship. But public perception in the media (of real people or fictional characters) isn't really about rationalizing behavior after the fact. You see what you see in the moment. Of course, if I met her in real life I wouldn't hold my interpretation of her behavior against her but in the context of the show she was unlikable.  

Reading the interview, she comes across more likable than the did on tv.  On tv, her edit was that she is the domineering wears-the-pants one and that Henry is this clueless nerdy lackey, always running off out of her line of sight or staying silent when she talks so she gets all pissed off.  It doesn't help that Henry fits the stereotypical Asian nerd mode, complete to wearing glasses straps that kids would wear when they went to the amusement park and rode the roller coasters.  So I think some of the hate for Evan came from how it was perceived she treated Henry.  Or "Hen" as she seemed to start calling him during the end of the race. 

Whatever the perceived issues in this relationship, they seem to be doing fine and if it works for them, then more power to them.  So was it just the stress of the care that caused her to be ultra competitive, intense, shrill, and sometimes not very loving to her partner?  Perhaps.  But I do think that is probably somewhat of her baseline.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, PreBabylonia said:

I think all of the posters have figured out that you don't like Evan at all, for various reasons. But calling her a bitch over and over is really offensive to me. Please let's go back to being civilized on this threat.

Amen.

• Love 5

I'm not a fan of Evan but I'm appalled at the vitriol that has been thrown at her. It's beyond appealing, actually. The woman is a contestant on a game show. We see a tiny part of her. That we may like or not (again, I'm not a fan). Still, nothing that warrants the insults she got from viewers.

• Love 9