Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: I ka wā ma mua, I ka wā ma hope (The Future is in the Past)

• Start Topic

Really give this 10/10. And really think that McGarrett could had beaten up the guy who shot and tried to kill his best friend and partner. As really writers were weak and tying them up as Steve a SEAL who could go without backup nearly pummel that man who tried to kill his buddy.

Seeing Danny with Adam with a baby from Kono and in his dream trying to make a "joke" about him being shot really not funny there.

Other than that loved it when they showed he and Steve as old men and having grandchildren

His grown daughter Grace, marrying Will and his son Charlie also grown in the police academy and also running the thriving restaurant in his dreams

Really it is not the same without Scott Caan despite being in the show five episodes less.

Really love it with him and Grover talking about in his dream marriage of their children.

• Love 3

The imaginary futures were really fun; basically Danny sees everyone getting what they want and everyone's lives working out happily.  Nice details too like the pictures on the restaurant wall.  But the funniest one was the far future old men Danny and Steve - I'm pretty sure Danny watched Secondhand Lions while in quarantine because he and Steve on the beach arguing was almost exactly Michael Cain and Robert Duvall on their farm porch waiting for the traveling salesmen.

"He deserved to die" - on the photo.  Killer obviously used that as a suicide note but are we going to re-visit this?  Do we ever find out who he was or why he wanted Danny dead?  Or could there even be a future episode where one of his buddies or family members find out the guy failed and show up to finish the job?

• Love 3

Intense, well done episode.

When Steve was basically begging Grover to get them out, I swear there were tears in his eyes.

Everyone was on their 'A' game; the restaurant part was fabulous, of course Tani's married to Junior; adult Charlie looked like both Danny & Rachel & adult Grace looked like older Teilor Grubbs - so well done casting; Steve & Tani's future phones were a nice touch.

But old Steve & Danny?  That took the cake.  I loved them squabbling like old men do (over each other) and apparently they're living together?!  Danny's granddaughter calls & Steve answers!  No mention thru all the episode of Melissa or any other wives/girlfriends.  "If my finger wasn't in you..."  Be still my McDanno heart.

The only thing I thought didn't fit was Steve smoking a pipe.

• Love 3

A great episode! 

Before the attack, loved the banter and especially the looks on Danny & Steve's faces over the others' flirting.

Loved the flash forwards - all so nicely done with the details of the future phones and the inclusion of the wider H5-0 family, even those no longer on the show. Don't really care that some were apparently incomplete (Chin's wife?) since it was a dream sequence - it just showed a nice effort I thought. 

Thought Eric's character was well played and really liked the police commander but AOL was the stand-out - really excellent - the intensity and anxiety on his face as he dealt with the injury was just great.

The references to 'shaving below the waist' and 'my finger inside you' was kinda surprising but I'm a slash fan, so kudos to the writers for the fun. :)

56 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

"He deserved to die" - on the photo.  Killer obviously used that as a suicide note but are we going to re-visit this?  Do we ever find out who he was or why he wanted Danny dead?  Or could there even be a future episode where one of his buddies or family members find out the guy failed and show up to finish the job?

Surely they will revisit this - in the few words the unknown character had I'm sure there was a very distinct Jersey lilt - my guess is that he will turn out to be connected to Danny's old home and/or family, and that is where the visiting uncle who has been announced (former Sopranos actor) for a future episode will come in. 

• Love 4

I loved this episode! I've been slacking this season, because it didn't feel right to go back to watching this show as if nothing ever happened (I'm of course referring to DDK and Grace Park leaving because CBS didn't value them enough) but the premise of this episode sounded too good to pass up.

This was the first time I saw Tani and Junior, and I loved them both (Tani especially), plus I loved the idea of them together (I was happy to see them "married" in the fantasy and I don't even know anything about them, heh). I still couldn't help thinking how much cheaper this guy must be than DDK, but that's my issue with CBS, not these actors themselves. And I agree, the way Steve and Danny reacted to their flirting was hilarious.

Danny's fantasies ranged from adorable to moving to hilarious, and I loved how fitting they were. At first I was ready to get mad because for Grace we saw a wedding (because that's what girls do?) and for Charlie we saw a professional moment (him becoming a cop) but the writers saved it with the mention of Danny's granddaughter joining the force. And I have to admit that seeing Grover in that setting (because Grace was marrying his son) plus seeing Danny in "father of the bride" mode was extremely worth it. And the old age makeup on Steve and Danny? That was awesome! That entire scene was so good. I love that this is how Danny envisions his future.

I was impressed with Andrew Lawrence, I think he almost stole the episode. And I was even more impressed the writers remembered that Danny has family on the island. And it's always nice to see Adam, the fantasy scene with his and Kono's baby was lovely. Scott Caan always does so well in these human/sweeter scenes.

AOL was also fantastic, though. He really did have tears in his eyes for a while there (the emotion plus the adrenaline plus the tension I suppose) and the bit about his hair was pretty funny as well.

I've always been a fan of Scott Caan, and I always love the episodes that focus on Danny a little more (which this didn't, exactly, but it also kind of did). That said, the entire Tani-as-McGyver situation, and the doctor talking Steve through a medical procedure, and the bomb squad outside with Grover, that was all a whole lot of fun. I would have enjoyed the episode even without the fantasy sequences, but they were the cherry on top.

Now that I know I like Tani and Junior, and Adam's back, I think I'll go back and watch some of the episodes I've missed. The show felt good, and fun, like last season, so I'm hoping I'll find more to enjoy.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Loved the photo wall and that it included Kono and Chin. They wouldn't be able to use their images without the actors approval, so it made me happy to see that.

13 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I don't think that's true.  

I think it might be true. I recall the mess when Charmed ended, and they did not include one single picture of Prue (Shannen Doherty) in the finale because she wouldn't let them, or they didn't want to pay her, or they couldn't afford to pay her, or something dramatic like that (and that was glaring because the character was an original cast member and the sister of all the other main characters). I think if it's footage already used in a prior episode, it can be re-used, but an actual picture requires permission and some sort of compensation (because it is the likeness of the actor).

I just checked DDK's twitter to see if maybe he said anything, but he hasn't tweeted in a few days. He did, however, post a very classy tweet saying he was happy H50 seems likely to be renewed. So I think it's very possible he would agree to this, especially because the picture was used in a very sweet context. Either way, I sure hope CBS didn't use his picture without asking.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Princess Lucky said:

I think if it's footage already used in a prior episode, it can be re-used, but an actual picture requires permission and some sort of compensation (because it is the likeness of the actor).

That’s why they didn’t need their permission - because the pics were obviously from aired footage (a la the shot of Carol Burnett).  

4 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

That’s why they didn’t need their permission - because the pics were obviously from aired footage (a la the shot of Carol Burnett).  

That may well be true, I must admit I wouldn't be able to recognize a picture from an episode (except Carol Burnett, who's only been on the show a handful of times).

• Love 1

If you wanted to flood a bathroom, isn't it easier to plug the sink and turn on the taps? Breaking through the wall and ripping a pipe off seems like a lot more work (but a great way to burn off some frantic energy). 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

That may well be true, I must admit I wouldn't be able to recognize a picture from an episode (except Carol Burnett, who's only been on the show a handful of times).

I’m only saying that the pics are from past episodes because the actors are posing together, and 3 of the 4 aren’t on set anymore (as opposed to recognizing a picture from a particular scene!)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

The imaginary futures were really fun; basically Danny sees everyone getting what they want and everyone's lives working out happily.  Nice details too like the pictures on the restaurant wall.  But the funniest one was the far future old men Danny and Steve - I'm pretty sure Danny watched Secondhand Lions while in quarantine because he and Steve on the beach arguing was almost exactly Michael Cain and Robert Duvall on their farm porch waiting for the traveling salesmen.

"He deserved to die" - on the photo.  Killer obviously used that as a suicide note but are we going to re-visit this? Do we ever find out who he was or why he wanted Danny dead?  Or could there even be a future episode where one of his buddies or family members find out the guy failed and show up to finish the job?

Peter Lenkov (if you don't know, by now, the show's creator & executive producer) was asked the same question on Twitter today. He said yes, we will find out more about who tried to kill Danny & why. Presumably sometime after the holiday break, when the new eps start (I think they come back on January 5th). But I don't know if it happens in the first episode back or after that.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a spacing error.
  • Love 2

If you wanted to flood a bathroom, isn't it easier to plug the sink and turn on the taps? Breaking through the wall and ripping a pipe off seems like a lot more work (but a great way to burn off some frantic energy). 

It would also be faster to break both of the pipes and not just one of them, seems like the job would be done twice as fast? Also, why didn't they go in through the ceiling? The hallways had the suspended soundproof tiles, although an isolation ward would most likely have a plaster roof. Still, you don't need a bomb to get through plaster.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, GustheCat said:

It would also be faster to break both of the pipes and not just one of them, seems like the job would be done twice as fast? Also, why didn't they go in through the ceiling? The hallways had the suspended soundproof tiles, although an isolation ward would most likely have a plaster roof. Still, you don't need a bomb to get through plaster.

Yeah, I spent a good deal of the episode wondering about all the different ways you could get into that ward without blowing anything up. And the wall they finally breached could have easily been dealt with a sledgehammer from the get-go.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

I think if it's footage already used in a prior episode, it can be re-used

I think it varies from contract to contract. Charmed actually couldn't even use previous footage of Prue, which is why flashback episodes, like the ep where Piper/Leo were in therapy and the first Coop ep, couldn't show any old footage involving Shannen Doherty. I always hated that, especially for the finale. I hope H50 has a more respectful and less bitter situation going on.

• Love 2

With all the crying and the future life flashing before his eyes for a second i thought they might kill Danno.

10 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, I spent a good deal of the episode wondering about all the different ways you could get into that ward without blowing anything up. And the wall they finally breached could have easily been dealt with a sledgehammer from the get-go.

Yea considering that wall was just drywall on one side and tile on the other a sawzall or some other type of saw could have cut a hole in it pretty quickly. Quicker than it would have taken to set up the charge.

10 hours ago, GustheCat said:

The fastest way to get attention would have been to set off the fire alarm. There looked like there were fire alarn devices, and possibly sprinklers all over that place. Even if you can't light a fire if you smash a detector it will probably send a trouble signal to the main panel. Or just smash a sprinkler head which will also send a signal to the panel.

22 hours ago, Roselle said:

A great episode! 

Before the attack, loved the banter and especially the looks on Danny & Steve's faces over the others' flirting.

Loved the flash forwards - all so nicely done with the details of the future phones and the inclusion of the wider H5-0 family, even those no longer on the show. Don't really care that some were apparently incomplete (Chin's wife?) since it was a dream sequence - it just showed a nice effort I thought. 

Thought Eric's character was well played and really liked the police commander but AOL was the stand-out - really excellent - the intensity and anxiety on his face as he dealt with the injury was just great.

The references to 'shaving below the waist' and 'my finger inside you' was kinda surprising but I'm a slash fan, so kudos to the writers for the fun. :)

Surely they will revisit this - in the few words the unknown character had I'm sure there was a very distinct Jersey lilt - my guess is that he will turn out to be connected to Danny's old home and/or family, and that is where the visiting uncle who has been announced (former Sopranos actor) for a future episode will come in.

Apparently the soon to arrive "uncle" (the article used the word in quotes, as if the character may be seen as an uncle by Danny--for whatever reason--but maybe they're not actually related by blood or marriage), being played by Vincent Pastore from The Sopranos (I think I may have said Steve Schirripa was cast in at least 1 place... sorry), was announced as being a recurring character & not just "1 & done"; the character's name is supposed to be Vito.

10 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I think it varies from contract to contract. Charmed actually couldn't even use previous footage of Prue, which is why flashback episodes, like the ep where Piper/Leo were in therapy and the first Coop ep, couldn't show any old footage involving Shannen Doherty. I always hated that, especially for the finale. I hope H50 has a more respectful and less bitter situation going on.

Since they used photos of DDK & GP, clearly with other actors who are/were characters in the show (though I wish they'd figured out a way to have Abby in the pic with Chin & Sara, since it sounded like Chin was on the verge of proposing before the character was written out), I'd (like to) think that after all the rancor that seemed to happen--at least in the press--after their departures were originally announced, at least enough fences were mended (if necessary) to allow the inclusion of their pics on what seemed to be the "ʻohāna" wall at the restaurant. Either that or whoever had the idea for the wall in that scene just said "Screw it! WE know Chin & Kono are & always will be important to Steve & Danny, & the fans (even if TPTB may not have a warm relationship with the actors anymore); their pics belong on a wall of people Steve & Danny consider 'ʻohāna' & we're putting them there even if some people don't like it!" (Shrugs) Once I realized the photos were supposed to be of people who either are really "ʻohāna" to the characters, or who are considered to be that by them, I have to say that, for reasons of space, I might've understood the exclusion of Chin & Kono pics from the wall--to focus on characters who might've become more important to them since Chin & Kono left--but I have to say I'd have been at least a little disappointed if they hadn't been on the wall too.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.

I watched the episode again and two more things stuck out at me:

Steve was pretty condescending to that waitress, telling her to smile big when comp'ing the champagne to the 5-yr anniversary couple;

And I don't think we've ever seen him yell at a team member the way he yelled at Tani to "figure it out!" (Regarding finding a way to get out or attention).

ETA:  Oh, and I bet the shooter is one of the family members of a victim from NJ that Danny promised to solve, but was unable to.  He had no prints in the system, so he couldn't have been a perp.  I doubt he's related to his late partner Grace, as Danny would likely know them.

Edited by roamyn
55 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Steve was pretty condescending to that waitress, telling her to smile big when comp'ing the champagne to the 5-yr anniversary couple;

And I don't think we've ever seen him yell at a team member the way he yelled at Tani to "figure it out!" (Regarding finding a way to get out or attention).

I don't think it was directed at Tani; more like the situation. It was after Danny was shot, right?

Back in S2, there was an ep where an ex-cop partner of Danny's from Jersey, who was a dirty cop Danny helped put in prison, went to Hawaii after he was released from prison & (since he felt Danny was responsible for his going to prison) kidnaped Gracie from a tennis lesson shortly after Charlie was born (he didn't know Charlie was Danny's son then--nobody did because first she told Danny he was, then switched her story a few times & said Stan was the baby's father after all; then 5 years/seasons later, Rachel admitted she'd lied & Danny was the father after all & Charlie was sick & needed a bone marrow transplant, but Rachel, Gracie & Stan had all been tested & nobody was enough of a match to be a successful transplant donor for Charlie--except, of course, his real father, Danny) the dirty cop hid Gracie in a storage locker building while he also held Danny hostage & made Danny do stuff like lure Stan to a park with the intent of shooting him for breaking up Danny's marriage to Rachel (Danny only shot Stan once, in the shoulder, & put the other 2 bullets into the ground, & by that point the rest of the team found out what was happening & went there to rescue Danny & Gracie, though they didn't know where she was until Danny's ex-partner told them... after Danny shot him in the leg/knee to get such info).

Anyway, during that episode after the baddie got to Gracie & Danny, Steve had almost, but not quite, the same amount of anger & tension in his voice while they were missing. I also noticed that after Danny was shot, Steve told someone to do something three times, like, "Find it... Find it... Find it!", possibly for emphasis &/or possibly because Alex decided to use that as an acting choice, a way to show Steve was under stress, perhaps. I point this out, because the same thing happened in the ep where Gracie was kidnaped & Danny was being made to do things to, apparently, keep Gracie alive--Steve told someone to do something 3 times in a row, as in the example above; I thought it was a nice callback to that. The odd thing is, I don't think Steve did the same thing in other eps where Danny was put into jeopardy, like when Danny was exposed to Sarin or when he was hurt--& he & Steve were trapped--in the building cave-in.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'd (like to) think that after all the rancor that seemed to happen--at least in the press--after their departures were originally announced, at least enough fences were mended (if necessary) to allow the inclusion of their pics on what seemed to be the "ʻohāna" wall at the restaurant. Either that or whoever had the idea for the wall in that scene just said "Screw it! WE know Chin & Kono are & always will be important to Steve & Danny, & the fans (even if TPTB may not have a warm relationship with the actors anymore); their pics belong on a wall of people Steve & Danny consider 'ʻohāna' & we're putting them there even if some people don't like it!" (Shrugs) 

The fans were angry at the producers and CBS, not the actors.  In this same vein, I don't think anyone thought pics of DDK and GP didn't belong on the wall, as their characters are still important to the characters of Steve and Danny.  To me, it was such a transparent attempt by the producers to promote the idea of ohana to viewers/fans in the aftermath of the non-ohana-like departures.  In other words, still doing damage control.

• Love 1
On 12/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, Roselle said:

A great episode! 

I second you on the "shaving below the waist" comment, but for some reason I didn't  equate it to an allusion to a slash relationship between Steve & Danny. And I totally missed the comment about the finger--unless they're referring to a gunshot wound where said finger would've been put into the wound to stop the bleeding, somehow (which I just thought of), I'm not sure how else you'd take that finger comment other than in relation to them being in a slash type relationship at that time (Which was in a flash forward, right?).

Heck... I couldn't believe they went "there" when they had Kamekona show Steve & Danny some shirts he'd had made up to promote the guys' restaurant, a few weeks ago (the Halloween-themed ep, I think), & the restaurant's name was "McDanno's Grill & Bar", which I don't think has been chosen as the name yet; "McDanno" being the slash shippers' name for them as a couple, with an illustration of Steve & Danny sitting at a stereotypical Italian restaurant table with a red & white checkered table cloth, facing each other, & re-enacting the spaghetti eating scene from Lady and the Tramp. But I loved the t-shirt so much I've bought 2 (1 to wear, 1 to save).

I don't know whose idea, on the staff, actually including the allusions to Steve & Danny being a couple in the future are; especially since I can't remember the last time Danny, especially, called Steve "Babe", in an ep (I figured they stopped that, even though it was supposed to have been a Scott Caan thing [like Jack Lord was the 1 responsible for calling Danny "Danno"--he did it to somebody named Danny he knew on set, it got written into the show & kept], & not a Danny thing, because I figured they were getting complaints from somebody with a lot of power & influence about how "Babe" made Steve & Danny sound like they were more than friends, & they most certainly weren't meant to be like that!) but I'm certainly on board with whomever decided to do this & why they did it!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I don't think it was directed at Tani; more like the situation. It was after Danny was shot, right?

Old me has recently started following twitter within the last year.  Somebody pointed this out and when I rewatched it I noticed it as well.  Steve is always the one in control and in charge.  He always has all of the answers, but this time he felt helpless and he was actually experiencing fear.  He was pleading and practically begging Lou to find a way for them to get out of there so it made sense for him to yell at Tani.  Even when the doctor was casually standing against the door (that could have blown up at any minute) directing Steve he almost seemed to be panicking although he tried to act like he was in control.  It was interesting that Junior seemed to be the calmest level-headed one in the room.

I somehow missed this last week and just watched it tonight. Wow, what an episode! Hawaii 5-0 hasn't had a lot of hallmark episodes but this is definitely one of them.

I loved the flash-forwards. Steve and Danny running the restuarant (with Steve as front of house and Danny running the kitchen), adult Grace marrying Grover's son, Charlie the HPD grad, Tani ending up as the leader of 5-0, Tani and Junior getting together, old men Steve and Danny bickering like an old married couple. Also, Duke is immortal which is extra awesome. I hope he still has the helicopter gunship fleet. The future-phones were cool too, who knew Danny had ever fantasized about what such devices would look like?

Eric also surprised me. He's mostly a comic relief character so to see him breaking down thinking that Danno might be done for was a powerful scene. I thought there was a good character moment for Jerry as well. Normally he would be jovial and friendly and chatty but when he just glares when one is trying to banter with him, you know something is wrong.

Great tension in this episode. I know from the threads on this board that Scott Caan isn't entirely committed to remaining on this show forever so I was thinking for a moment that they might actually kill him off.

Only one small note of nitpicking and that was the bomb squad's breaching charge blowing a useless hole in the wall that Grover had to expand via sledgehammer. Come on, these guys know how to blow a door-shaped hole in a wall.

The small useless hole that the bomb squad made in the wall was ridiculous, well worthy of a nitpick.  To me, it was an example of how this show has to always have "just one more thing" go wrong.  The hole couldn't possibly be done correctly because then Grover wouldn't get to smash the wall down.  Last week when they had all that trouble getting the serum to the boat, the sudden storm appearing, the cable snapped, the box went into the water and Steve had to swim out to get it.  There's always one more thing.  If it's not ridiculous and over-the-top, it's not Hawaii Five-O.

I too began to wonder if they were choosing this moment to kill off Danno.  I haven't followed the saga of Scott Caan very closely other than references here about how he does fewer episodes than anyone else and apparently hates Hawaii, but after all the nice "flash-forwards" it would've be gut-wrenching if he died and none of that ever happens.  Not that any of it's canon or anything, but showing the happy future and then killing the character anyway would be really bad.  So when Danno survived, I was glad, not because I love the character or anything, but because it would be a really shitty way to kill someone off.

this episode was top notch!!!! everyone was so good and I really liked that we got to see Dannys nephew be serious instead of his usually goofy demeaner....   Ales is so good with the emotional eyes...he did that in Moonlight too!!!  he was in an episode of criminal minds called "the big wheel"where he played a killer with OCD  and he made you cry by the end of the episode........

17 hours ago, Orbert said:

The small useless hole that the bomb squad made in the wall was ridiculous, well worthy of a nitpick.  To me, it was an example of how this show has to always have "just one more thing" go wrong.  The hole couldn't possibly be done correctly because then Grover wouldn't get to smash the wall down.  Last week when they had all that trouble getting the serum to the boat, the sudden storm appearing, the cable snapped, the box went into the water and Steve had to swim out to get it.  There's always one more thing.  If it's not ridiculous and over-the-top, it's not Hawaii Five-O.

I too began to wonder if they were choosing this moment to kill off Danno. I haven't followed the saga of Scott Caan very closely other than references here about how he does fewer episodes than anyone else and apparently hates Hawaii, but after all the nice "flash-forwards" it would've be gut-wrenching if he died and none of that ever happens.  Not that any of it's canon or anything, but showing the happy future and then killing the character anyway would be really bad.  So when Danno survived, I was glad, not because I love the character or anything, but because it would be a really shitty way to kill someone off.

To be fair, Scott's not the only actor on a CBS show who's contracted for less than the full number of episodes per season. About a month ago now, probably a bit less, cartermatt.com posted the linked article (which I originally linked to in the Media thread) saying that, along with our show's very own Danny Williams character (Scott Caan/Danny was used in the article as another example), at least the characters played by Matthew Gray Gubler & Aisha Tyler on Criminal Minds are also doing the "mysterious, usually unexplained, absence in 1 episode--only to return in the next episode as if they were never gone/their absence wasn't even noticed" thing.

Matthew Gray Gubler apparently gets the entire month of October off (presumably from actually filming eps, though new eps & reruns with him which were filmed earlier air on CBS during October).

I don't think Scott actually hates Hawaii; it seems he's either found things to enjoy about the place, or else he's made peace with having to be there. He hasn't said anything negative about the place in quite awhile--though I'm pretty sure he still prefers the faster pace of LA, being able to be with his friends & family, etc. When he said that negative stuff, he was appearing on Chelsea Handler's old late night (faux?) talk show that aired on E!, which I thought always had a negative tone to it anyway. She was trash talking about Hawaii, about the meth/drug problem they have/had there when H50 was in it's earliest seasons, & other stuff I forget; Scott said some milder things, like he didn't like the food, just to go along with her (I think he does like the surfing there, though).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add to a comment & to add a parenthesis.
  • Love 2

Okay, maybe he doesn't "hate" it there, which I'll admit is going a bit too far (the way I phrased it, that is).  Or maybe he's toned it down a bit, or has gotten used to it.  I guess it made an impression if it's been years and I still remember it.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Orbert said:

Okay, maybe he doesn't "hate" it there, which I'll admit is going a bit too far (the way I phrased it, that is).  Or maybe he's toned it down a bit, or has gotten used to it.  I guess it made an impression if it's been years and I still remember it.

I think it was supposed to make an impression. Lots of people still remember it, & it happened almost 5 years ago (according to Google).

11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

To be fair, Scott's not the only actor on a CBS show who's contracted for less than the full number of episodes per season. About a month ago now, probably a bit less, cartermatt.com posted the linked article (which I originally linked to in the Media thread) saying that, along with our show's very own Danny Williams character (Scott Caan/Danny was used in the article as another example), at least the characters played by Matthew Gray Gubler & Aisha Tyler on Criminal Minds are also doing the "mysterious, usually unexplained, absence in 1 episode--only to return in the next episode as if they were never gone/their absence wasn't even noticed" thing.

I also noticed on NCIS New Orleans Shalita Grant disappears every other episode so it appears to be somewhat common on CBS shows.  I think that networks have to cut cost someway and sometimes having an actor not get paid for a few episodes a year helps with the budget.

4 hours ago, Orbert said:

Okay, maybe he doesn't "hate" it there, which I'll admit is going a bit too far (the way I phrased it, that is).  Or maybe he's toned it down a bit, or has gotten used to it.  I guess it made an impression if it's been years and I still remember it.

Yeah I think sometimes people say things initially that they are never able to live down.  When they show him on set in general he seems to be content although now that he's older I notice towards filming during the end of the season he seems tired.  Alex once said that when he first was offered the role he asked if it could be filmed in LA only to be disappointed at first.  Since then he's met his wife and had a family and has embraced Hawaii.  Of course it's an island surrounded by water  like Australia so I guess it was easy to get used to.

5 hours ago, ally said:

Alex once said that when he first was offered the role he asked if it could be filmed in LA only to be disappointed at first. 

I know you don't have to be that smart to be an actor, but the star of a show called Hawaii 5-0 asking if they really have to film in Hawaii kind of makes me laugh.

• Love 7

The small useless hole that the bomb squad made in the wall was ridiculous, well worthy of a nitpick.  To me, it was an example of how this show has to always have "just one more thing" go wrong.  The hole couldn't possibly be done correctly because then Grover wouldn't get to smash the wall down. 

It also wouldn't have given Grover a chance to show off his prowess with a sledge hammer, as previously demonstrated in the episode when he went to Chicago and tore up his ex-partner's house looking for the stolen money. I'm not sure it has been mentioned yet, but, how is some guy off the street able to get into a secure quarantine area in the first place? The show didn't give that exposition since it would be quite unbelievable, I hope! Still, an enjoyable episode. As usual, you have to suspend reality at least once during a Hawaii 5-0 episode, but the scenery is always worth the watch.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:14 AM, Passepartout said:

Really give this 10/10. And really think that McGarrett could had beaten up the guy who shot and tried to kill his best friend and partner. As really writers were weak and tying them up as Steve a SEAL who could go without backup nearly pummel that man who tried to kill his buddy.

Seeing Danny with Adam with a baby from Kono and in his dream trying to make a "joke" about him being shot really not funny there.

Other than that loved it when they showed he and Steve as old men and having grandchildren

His grown daughter Grace, marrying Will and his son Charlie also grown in the police academy and also running the thriving restaurant in his dreams

Really it is not the same without Scott Caan despite being in the show five episodes less.

Really love it with him and Grover talking about in his dream marriage of their children.

I agree with all this. I thought Grover's mustache and glasses looked funny. And between old Steve and Danny, Steve looked to age better, lol.  Didn't like Steve's pipe either.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:12 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

I do believe (hope), that the story of why Joshua Hollister knew Dano was in quarantine and could get in to it and "kill" Danny and himself. Also why he was after Danny in the first place. It seems to be from a previous case, maybe not one in Hawaii. Since the rest of the team was not his target.

Was surprised that everyone complained about Steve's haircut? It isn't the greatest but to me should have had less impact then Jerry's radical cut. But I think only one comment last week was made. Did the actors both get trims for other rolls? 

It was nice to see Adam, who is in a lot of scenes now, Flippa and Komekona there. Also funny to hear Komekonas comments about McGaretts hair do. Eric did steal the show with his emotions. But I agree in the isolation ward, Steve was almost crying.

At first I thought Grover being with the Bomb Team Sargent Bullock, and arguing about how to get to the team was a bit much. Then I thought Lou was on SWAT not the Bomb Squad originally.  Also thought Steve would try to defuse the bomb. Did think Tani busting the water line wouldn't help much. She should have busted more. Grover does need to use the tread mill a bit more, in my opinion. I know his adrenaline was pumping, but I had hoped he wouldn't be so winded after chopping through the wall. I split firewood all the time, and haven't been winded like that. It was fun as a firefighter for many years to see him use the fireman's ax to chop through. We did that a lot back in the day, lol. Now we hardly take it off the truck. When Dr. Keller and his team was working on Danny, they must have known his infection was gone by then. They worked without the oxygen masks and bio suits.

Edited by webruce
Added information.

I've always been a fan of Scott Caan

He is the one who brought me to this show years ago, added to my love of Jin (who sadly isn't there now). I was quite nervous when the beginning started. 

I know the show can be cheesy at times but I love seeing my beloved Hawai'i on the years we can't get there. This was a really good episode! I loved all his dreams going through this. 1 more in the DVR list and I'm caught up.