Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: A Life Spent

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I know I will probably be in the minority but this kind of dystopian storyline is right up my Ally.  I am really enjoying Jemna’s Storyline the most right now because like the uhhh Blue lady said she has compassion and to be filled with such compassion as Jemma has and be struck silent is the kind of nightmare scenario that works in science fiction shows.  

Plus I like the whole Gladiator thing going on.  And The question of is Daisy actually responsible for the destruction of Earth or is there something else at play.  

This season so far really is working for me.

I dislike dystopian stories, but disagree with the general feeling here that this version is too negative to be palatable. I think the whole point of this storyline is that the SHIELD people are still themselves rather than bowing to the grimness of this future.

• Love 1
On 12/9/2017 at 11:17 PM, Jediknight said:

And then Korg shows up.

But did he bring enough pamphlets this time?!?! 

I`m hoping that all this misery they keep piling on everyone is a set up for our heroes helping to make things better, and improve things for the future people, or avert this crap all together. Otherwise, its just watching people be miserable in a world where a teenagers best chance is to be sold as a slave/weapon for an entire arc. Freaking Kree. They're The Worst. I am actually pretty sure that in their entry in most intergalactic dictionaries, they are listed as "The Kree, also know as THE WORST". Watching poor Abby getting beaten down was brutal, even by this shows standards. 

I love when Yo-Yo runs, it looks so cool. On The Flash, people with running powers look like a blur of light, while Yo-Yo looks like a pulsing heart. Its good that they both have different approaches, it leads to more interesting and unique effects. 

Daisy got a cool fight scene, and at least that balanced out the constant misery. Granted, it didn't end well, but she did kind of get a win for a minute. 

The scene where May was saying how she just wanted to get home and sleep after going through the whole Framework thing was great, and it reminded me that their dealing with this right AFTER dealing with yet another exhausting and traumatic mess. I honestly am amazed that more superhero stories dont do stories where the characters just straight up suffer from burn out after going from one fight to the next to the next over and over. Yeah, you defeated the evil AI and escaped her virtual world, but NOW you have to deal with getting shipped to the future/space, and have to stop the world from being blown up and the human race from being enslaved. Hope you didn't need sleep any time soon!

I miss Fitz. I hope they show what he`s up to soon, or he comes to save everyone or provide backup. He and Simmons are going to need a very long vacation after everyone they've been through lately. 

• Love 3
On 12/10/2017 at 3:56 PM, Affogato said:

My admittedly minor experience is that breaking a board with my bare fist is a learned meditative channel of my strength but adrenaline works too.

I'm a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and there is a mental component to breaking a board. Of course I practiced the various moves many times. But I remember once I got up there to test, it was just me and the board. I channeled my strength  and ignoring what was going on around me (the audience/peers).  I think this is actually what Simmons taught her to do, essentially center herself. Which she does.

I still really miss Fitz. I feel like the show is somehow missing something without him. I should saw that guy betraying Daisy coming, which I didn't. I do think she will succeed in finding Jemma as she is a slave of that guy. I hope they both get out of there soon. As for the rest of the cast, at least they are together. And I'm enjoying seeing more of YoYo and her relationship with Mack. Overall, an okay episode but I hope this picks up soon and gets less depressing.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blueray said:

I'm a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and there is a mental component to breaking a board. Of course I practiced the various moves many times. But I remember once I got up there to test, it was just me and the board. I channeled my strength  and ignoring what was going on around me (the audience/peers).  I think this is actually what Simmons taught her to do, essentially center herself. Which she does.

I still really miss Fitz. I feel like the show is somehow missing something without him. I should saw that guy betraying Daisy coming, which I didn't. I do think she will succeed in finding Jemma as she is a slave of that guy. I hope they both get out of there soon. As for the rest of the cast, at least they are together. And I'm enjoying seeing more of YoYo and her relationship with Mack. Overall, an okay episode but I hope this picks up soon and gets less depressing.

TjTs what I meant. The first time I broke the board it felt like I tapped it lightly and it fell apart.  I could have pounded at it for some time without success. 

And I think that is what Jenna was trying to teach her. 

I guess next episode we learn the kree mobsters agenda. 

• Love 1

This show is fabulous at the moment.

The hulking man throwing the teenage girl around was probably the first time I've witnessed anything like that on television. It was quite unique. Usually its a guy throwing a teenage guy around, or a woman throwing a teenage guy around. At least she won in the end.

On 09/12/2017 at 0:03 AM, Jack Kerouac said:

Wow. That, with the exception of Daisy's fight, was a total yawn fest. Is this how slow and boring this season is going to be? The cartoon villain Kree, the trodden down humans, the ridiculous woman who keeps fondling her balls (hee hee) - it all adds up to channel surfing.

Someone wake me up when Fitz gets here.

I liked that fight scene, although Daisy almost taking out 2 Kree with just her fighting moves seemed like a bit of a stretch. She's not Captain America. But her not being able to hold her position hiding above them was some pretty cool/fun writing.

One thing I do wonder about is how come people aren't more surprised when new humans show up? They said that no one can survive on earth and the base or whatever isn't really that big, so where do they think new people come from?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Quark said:

This show is fabulous at the moment.

The hulking man throwing the teenage girl around was probably the first time I've witnessed anything like that on television. It was quite unique. Usually its a guy throwing a teenage guy around, or a woman throwing a teenage guy around. At least she won in the end.

Of course they made sure to throw in that she had turned 18 before going through terragenesis. So in a way like a young enlistee into the armed services. But still the impact of such a young looking girl had the desired dramatic impact. I guess it has been a while since Buffy faced the big man playing a vampire or demon. As most of her targets were ordinary looking teens into their demon game face went on.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I know I will probably be in the minority but this kind of dystopian storyline is right up my Ally.  I am really enjoying Jemna’s Storyline the most right now because like the uhhh Blue lady said she has compassion and to be filled with such compassion as Jemma has and be struck silent is the kind of nightmare scenario that works in science fiction shows.  

Plus I like the whole Gladiator thing going on.  And The question of is Daisy actually responsible for the destruction of Earth or is there something else at play.  

This season so far really is working for me.

I'm totally on board as well. Kasius and his henchlady are soooo creepy, yet fascinating. I like Tess and I did like Deke until he sold out Daisy. Was thinking there may be a romance there, but now, not so much. Of course, with the curveballs this show likes to throw, who knows what might happen. Can't wait to see how Fitz enters the picture.

So far, I'm loving it.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Gothish520 said:

I like Tess and I did like Deke until he sold out Daisy. Was thinking there may be a romance there, but now, not so much. Of course, with the curveballs this show likes to throw, who knows what might happen.

I mean, how exactly do you have a romance between Daisy and someone who sold her into slavery? Given how the show avoided pairing her with Ward after everything he did (especially what he threatened to do to her in the season one finale), I'd question the rationale of having Deke sell her to Kasius (which a serious line to cross, regardless of how the show plans on handling it) and then just pair them together romantically as if he didn't do anything wrong. Makes as much sense as if the show paired Jemma with the guy who tortured her - Giyera.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2017 at 8:58 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I liked that fight scene, although Daisy almost taking out 2 Kree with just her fighting moves seemed like a bit of a stretch. She's not Captain America.

Is she strong? Listen, bud. She's got Kree-tiactive blood!

On 12/28/2017 at 0:47 AM, Lobsel Vith said:

I mean, how exactly do you have a romance between Daisy and someone who sold her into slavery? Given how the show avoided pairing her with Ward after everything he did (especially what he threatened to do to her in the season one finale), I'd question the rationale of having Deke sell her to Kasius (which a serious line to cross, regardless of how the show plans on handling it) and then just pair them together romantically as if he didn't do anything wrong. Makes as much sense as if the show paired Jemma with the guy who tortured her - Giyera.

As he said, he's playing the long game. Despite him having generally been a douche, Deke no doubt will be redeemed by showing that he had some big-picture plan with Daisy when he sold her out. The only question in my mind is whether he will actually redeem himself in time for some romance with her, or will his redemption come while sacrificing himself for Daisy/the other agents/humanity? Or I guess both?

10 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The only question in my mind is whether he will actually redeem himself in time for some romance with her

Deke will reset the timeline- he will be a famous actor that brings his Grandma Daisy to the Oscars...

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:15 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

As he said, he's playing the long game.

Yes, Deke said that at the time to Daisy, and he also justified selling a person into slavery because he had a sad childhood when Coulson and May discovered that he sold Daisy to Kasius. Daisy also found out that Kasius intends to wipe out the remnants of humanity once she's sold because of Ben reading Kasius' mind. So Deke's word doesn't mean much of anything.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:15 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Despite him having generally been a douche, Deke no doubt will be redeemed by showing that he had some big-picture plan with Daisy when he sold her out. The only question in my mind is whether he will actually redeem himself in time for some romance with her, or will his redemption come while sacrificing himself for Daisy/the other agents/humanity? Or I guess both?

Or Deke's actions are going to be handwaved. I don't see how the team would realistically overlook Deke selling Daisy into slavery. That's not something any rational person on the planet would simply handwave, no matter Deke's justification or how the show tries to frame it. I mean, how is it going to go down? "No no no, it's totally OK I risked you getting tortured, raped, or killed when I sold you to an amoral monster like Kasius - I had a plan". I mean, really?

• Love 1

I'm not sure of the connection between Daisy's finding out about Kasius's plans has anything to do with Deke's word meaning anything.

Regardless of how he tried to justify himself to May and Coulson, Deke still could have genuinely been thinking (mistakenly) that selling Daisy was the best thing for her. And it could be by writer fiat he is right. By selling Daisy, Daisy is put in a position to get intel and to rescue Simmons that she would not have been if they had continued to try to be covert.

Yes, real people would probably be pretty miffed by selling somebody into slavery. But these are characters and the people who write them tend to fall into relatively predictable pattern. I think it's fairly safe to say that Deke will either get kissy-face time with Daisy, or Deke will die and people will act like he's a hero instead of an opportunist slaver, or both.

3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'm not sure of the connection between Daisy's finding out about Kasius's plans has anything to do with Deke's word meaning anything.

In terms of how badly Deke screwed up by putting the entirety of humanity on the potential road to extinction, unless Fitz can do something to prevent that.

Regardless of how he tried to justify himself to May and Coulson, Deke still could have genuinely been thinking (mistakenly) that selling Daisy was the best thing for her.

I'm sure Deke thought selling a person into slavery was the best thing for his bottom line. I'm not going to sanctify a character who tries to romanticize slavery as being for the greater good and who justified it because he had a sob story about his childhood, and the show deserves to be criticized if it attempts to do that.

And it could be by writer fiat he is right. By selling Daisy, Daisy is put in a position to get intel and to rescue Simmons that she would not have been if they had continued to try to be covert.

Except we have already been shown that Deke was wrong- Kasius plans to exterminate humanity once Daisy is sold. I'm fine with the show sending the message that slavery is wrong.

Yes, real people would probably be pretty miffed by selling somebody into slavery. But these are characters and the people who write them tend to fall into relatively predictable pattern.

Unless the main cast are supposed to be aliens who act nothing like actual humans, I don't see how pointing out that they're fictitious explains why any of them would be okay with working with a man who sold one of their friends into slavery. It makes no sense at all. Coulson, in particular, has said he views Daisy like a daughter. If someone sold someone I viewed as a daughter into slavery, I sure as hell wouldn't be working side by side with them, nor would I handwave it.

I think it's fairly safe to say that Deke will either get kissy-face time with Daisy, or Deke will die and people will act like he's a hero instead of an opportunist slaver, or both.

I'm hoping it goes the way of Ward, pre-season three, and that Daisy isn't paired with another villainous white man who hurt her just because he happens to be attractive.

• Love 2

I just like Jemma went from "Inhumans are a disease!" in S2 to nurturing and helping them with their powers. Her speech about the stars and space was great.

They cast the right person for Abby. I looked up the actress on IMDB and she's like 20 but she looks very young for her age so it was like seeing a little girl being beaten around. Very disconcerting.

Some will say Kitty Pryde but her is more like the Vision who can control his molecular density to from immaterial to rock hard.

My Philinda shipper self was happy when Coulson touched her shoulder and she had that reaction.

Playing catch up at the moment, so far behind...

Enjoyed Jemma and Not Kitty Pryde for what VCRTracking mentioned above me.

I'm still not feeling... everything else.

It was just a matter of time before Deke betrayed someone, thought it would be later...

I'm hoping the Quake destroys the world turns out to be true.  

Also playing catch up.  I was confused about Lady [Can't Remember], the woman who bought Abby - what species was she?  They were speaking of her like nobility so I figured she was some Kree big-wig, but she wasn't blue.  Human?   Inhuman?  Some other species that they didn't want to even bother giving funny bumps on the face like Star Trek?

As far as Deke's betrayal of Daisy, I was completely on her side.  They'd just had a Renewal (nod to Logan's Run?).  He warned her that her reckless frontal assault would provoke the Kree into a worse massacre.  She didn't care.  Also, she had no plan for what to do after rescuing Jemma.  It's not like they could escape. 

I thought her "sacrifice an untold number of others to save Jemma" attitude was pretty monstrous.

36 minutes ago, mac123x said:

Also playing catch up.  I was confused about Lady [Can't Remember], the woman who bought Abby - what species was she?  They were speaking of her like nobility so I figured she was some Kree big-wig, but she wasn't blue.  Human?   Inhuman?  Some other species that they didn't want to even bother giving funny bumps on the face like Star Trek?

Lady Basha's race is never specified. Some speculate that perhaps she's supposed to be a 'Pink Kree', like in the comics, but we haven't had a canon explanation.

36 minutes ago, mac123x said:

As far as Deke's betrayal of Daisy, I was completely on her side.  They'd just had a Renewal (nod to Logan's Run?).  He warned her that her reckless frontal assault would provoke the Kree into a worse massacre.  She didn't care.  Also, she had no plan for what to do after rescuing Jemma.  It's not like they could escape. 

There's a significant difference between Daisy not trusting Deke, and Daisy not caring about what happens to the denizens of the Lighthouse. Given that Daisy chastised Deke because he was taking advantage of the people through his Framework network, it's clear that Daisy did care - she simply didn't trust Deke, and that was clearly explained in the episodes leading up to Deke selling her into slavery for money.

After Deke made it clear that he was only helping for financial gain, then being revealed as the creator of a new Framework network that the Kree fully endorse, and finally making flip-flopping claims about how Daisy destroyed the world - only to later say that a variant of Daisy from a parallel universe destroyed the world - I don't see why anyone would presume that Daisy would trust anything Deke says.

38 minutes ago, mac123x said:

I thought her "sacrifice an untold number of others to save Jemma" attitude was pretty monstrous.

I thought it was pretty monstrous to sell a person into slavery myself.

• Love 2