Type keyword(s) to search

Lionel, Katy and Luke: The ABC Judges

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:43 AM, InternetToughGuy said:

The show's ratings are pretty disappointing, which you could probably somewhat contribute to there being so many other entertainment options, but when a show is structured around something so universally enjoyed (music), the show's format is more to blame.  

The ratings are actually doing pretty well. Comparing this week alone, for example, Idol had a 1.6 in the demo while The Voice had a 1.2.

Personally, I love this panel of judges. They're easily my favorite combo this show's had since the original panel, although I liked Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban's chemistry together, too. The judges certainly aren't as critical as in the past partly because things have shifted the past few years and for whatever reason the viewers don't care to see that anymore; in that way, they've purposely emulated The Voice where the coaches do nothing but express non-stop optimism about the contestants. It's the same reason we've see much fewer auditions with bad singers or jokes looking for attention the past three years. That change doesn't mean these judges haven't shown good judgment in who they choose to cut and who they put through to the lives. I think this season's talent is overall one of the strongest in Idol's history, nearly on par with seasons 5, 7, and 10 (5 and 10 had bad winners, but mostly great casts, imo, and I loved nearly everyone on season 7). As for Katy's antics... On one hand, I'll admit that they just don't bother me like they seem to bother others; she often makes me laugh. Her faux hysterical crying during the stupid reality TV-esque on-air proposal during Hollywood was so funny. On the other side of it, I think that, considering what Katy Perry's salary was in the first season, she's probably doing whatever people behind the scenes ask her to do and show that she's willing to make a complete fool of herself to "earn her pay."

The only mistake Idol's made over the years is not doing their best to lure Katy Perry onto the show back in season 10. During Paula's last season or perhaps it was the one right after, they tested out several female celebs to fill her spot, and Perry and Shania Twain were two of them that were well-received. I remember it distinctly because I was impressed when Perry guested, for turning someone down in an audition by telling them that it's a singing competition, not a sob story competition. I really wish Idol had went with either her or Shania rather than JLO, who putrefied 5 seasons of this show. I never expected to dislike JLO as much as I did; I actually was excited when she first joined the show since I'd been a fan prior to that, and partly because DioGuardi was fired at the same time. I am SOOO glad that JLO had a contract with NBC that prevented Idol from bringing her back for the revival on ABC, otherwise we'd have been cursed with more of her narcissism, horrible taste, and enmity for the female contestants.

That said, I wouldn't have minded a panel with former Idol contestants like JHUD, Kelly, Jordin, Adam Lambert, etc. either. The reason JHUD and Kelly are on The Voice is because the Idol revival was initially going to be on NBC, but Idol changed their plans at the last minute when Ryan Seacrest joined ABC for Live with Kelly Ripa. The Voice snatched up Kelly and JHUD in part to spite Idol, imo. But Kelly said she only went with The Voice over Idol because The Voice offered her more $$$, and I can't fault her for that.

• Love 2
(edited)

She actually coached two seasons and is now back to coaching on the Voice UK, so it seems she hasn't left the franchise.

I just can't with Katy and her narcissism. The only positive thing about the uselessness of these judges is I can get through a two hour recording in less than an hour!

Edited by kassandra8286
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think part of the reason the judges are told to give optimistic critiques is because todays millennials are soft skinned and would probably go home and turn to crime if told by the judges that they were awful in their performances. The current judges are just awful. There is no constructive critiques. The contestants don't know what to work on. They are told from the beginning that they are stars. Katy Perry's antics have gotten to old and I really hope she decides to go on tour or something to get her away from the show. Even though I am a big fan of the original judges, especially Simon Cowell, I also understand that the show has moved away from Simon's critiques. I would welcome the return of Keith Urban, JLo, and Harry Connick Jr. over these clowns. They at least would let the contestant know what they did wrong and if they were off key. Contestants like Wade and Alejandro would never have made it passed Hollywood week. The show needs new judges. Judges that are willing to judge and not become cheerleaders. 

• Love 9
(edited)

These judges suck because they aren’t judging, they never have been. They act like they’re at a special little league where everyone’s is a WINNER and there are no losers, shhhhhh, don’t say that word! Lionel sound like a moron with his constant tongue bathing of every single person (did you get that from my closet? You’re a WINNER!!!). Luke sounds like a stereotypical hillbilly Gomer Pyle idiot (well golly gosh, I’m not worthy to judge you, you’re that good! You’re a WINNER!!!). And Katy is a narcissistic freak show hell bent on making every single camera moment about her (You are sooooo great, you’re a WINNER!!! NOWLOOKATMEBEINGKOOKY!!!).

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, HelenCrump said:

TV Line is reporting that the show was renewed but there could be a judges shake up.   I am still pulling for a judging panel comprised of former Idol winners and contestants.

I would love that. These judges suck, but what really needs to be changed is the producers. The structure of the show is part of the problem in my opinion. Plus, if the same producers (Trish Kinane) are there, even if they change the judges it will just be with a different set of idiots just spewing platitudes. I can't believe I am longing for the days of Uncle Nigel or Cecile Frot-Coutaz..........

On 4/30/2019 at 12:43 AM, InternetToughGuy said:

The show would seem much more like a competition if you could see the amount of work that goes into it, rather than getting the impression that they didn't do a whole lot during the week.

Yes! More like Project Runway, but with music! I would love that. In fact, that's why I used to enjoy Hollywood Week so much. You get to see what went into the lead up to that moment on stage...then actually see how the final product comes out.

• Love 2

I am only seeing them as judges now because husband is on a YouTube kick.  Man, is Katy annoying!  Yes, we watched her drool all over the young male singer; imagine if Lionel had done that to a young applicant.  Yuck!  She does not like the spotlight to leave her, does she?

I don’t watch regularly, but I remember Harry tried to give musical critiques that meant something, but he kept getting called out for being “mean.”  I loved listening to him talk music theory, and he was the best musician they ever had so of course they complain when he actually talked music.  My favorite was when he had to explain pentatonics to JLo.