Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chapter Twenty-One: House of the Devil

• Start Topic

On 12/8/2017 at 6:48 AM, MaggieG said:

I am so here for Alice and FP! I don't think I care about anyone else right now.

Maybe it's just because I'm in that demographic anyway, lol, but I'm finding the adults on this show so much more interesting than the teens, though I love Betty and Jughead, and Cheryl.

I want to see more of FP and Alice (love her character, she gets the best lines) and why she ended up with Hal. He is creepy. I assume we'll see Jughead's mom come back though and there will be drama there too.

Veronica should be more interesting  than she is...I'm just finding her dull this season.

I definitely think FP was protecting Jug, and not just backsliding. But I still don't think Penny is letting go of Jug so easily.

Overall, the show is pretty ridiculous but I love it and the slightly surreal retro vibe. All the teens in the bar, the inappropriately moody bar music, etc. is so very Twin Peaks.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 9

That was definitely the weirdest use of Mad World I've ever seen. And that includes the one with the scary bunny who prophesies the future to emo teenagers and affects alternate realities. Probably the saddest strip tease I've seen. I do enjoy Bughead, but they have got some SERIOUS issues to work out, especially considering Jug is currently in a gang. As much as Jughead likes to say how the Searpants are just misunderstood and unfairly sterytyped, they do deal drugs, beat people up, and require their members to get beat up (if your a guy) or strip(if your a girl) to join. They might not be monsters, but joining isnt really a great life choice. 

On a show full of drama queen, Jughead is still the King Drama Llama. "Like the black plague walks into an Edgar Allan Poe story..."no wonder Betty/Jug and Archie/Ronnie are all drama all of the time, they have Jug as their narrator! 

I think FP really was trying to go straight, and Jughead pretty much screwed it up. Damn it. It wasn't Jugheads fault that he was manipulated by the lawyer lady, but still, its just sad. Really, I do wonder if we`ll get into more of FP and Jugheads relationship this season. Last season, he preferred being homeless to living with his dad, so...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

On a show full of drama queen, Jughead is still the King Drama Llama. "Like the black plague walks into an Edgar Allan Poe story..."no wonder Betty/Jug and Archie/Ronnie are all drama all of the time, they have Jug as their narrator! 

I love this idea! Riverdale would be a totally normal place but Jughead has the dark power of twisting everything with his voiceovers!

*Betty wakes up, goes downstairs, pours bowl of cereal*

Betty: Ahh, what a perfectly normal, average, unremarkable day!

Jughead VO: Oh, really?

Betty (looking around): Oh no, not again...

JVO: While Betty Cooper may have thought the world as wholesome as her breakfast, as pert as her iconic ponytail...

B: Jug, knock it off! 

JVO: She little guessed at the dark underbelly of Riverdale, soon to come scratching at the door of her perfect life.

B: The last time you did this City Hall burned to the ground and all those mutant fish from Sweetwater River tried to take over Pops!

JVO: I admit I got carried away that time but this one's really neat! 

B: Oh, God, I'm afraid to ask.

JVO: See, it's going to turn out that your dad's first wife's sister's cousin's niece's childhood sweetheart has a connection to both Cheryl's family business...

B: WHAT?

JVO: Wait, wait...ANNNNNNND to the mysterious murders that are inspiring the Black Hood! Oh, and Polly's gonna be in this somehow, wait, let me check my Powerpoint charts...

B: I'm calling the police.

JVO: Can't, I already wrote Keller as Val's secret father.

B: But you have him dating Mayor McCoy! That's so gross! Do you even outline these things?

JVO: Betty, you know how I feel about outlines!

B (heavy sigh): That they stifle your creativity?

JVO: YES. Now hurry up and eat, you and Archie and Veronica have to bust her parents. They're trying to hide an old nuclear test site that was underneath the drive in!

B: I am so joining Polly on that farm.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Snookums said:

I love this idea! Riverdale would be a totally normal place but Jughead has the dark power of twisting everything with his voiceovers!

JVO: While Betty Cooper may have thought the world as wholesome as her breakfast, as pert as her iconic ponytail...

JVO: She little guessed at the dark underbelly of Riverdale, soon to come scratching at the door of her perfect life.

B: The last time you did this City Hall burned to the ground and all those mutant fish from Sweetwater River tried to take over Pops!

JVO: See, it's going to turn out that your dad's first wife's sister's cousin's niece's childhood sweetheart has a connection to both Cheryl's family business...

JVO: Wait, wait...ANNNNNNND to the mysterious murders that are inspiring the Black Hood! Oh, and Polly's gonna be in this somehow, wait, let me check my Powerpoint charts...

B: But you have him dating Mayor McCoy! That's so gross! Do you even outline these things?

JVO: YES. Now hurry up and eat, you and Archie and Veronica have to bust her parents. They're trying to hide an old nuclear test site that was underneath the drive in!

I think I would like this show better than the one we have. But alas.. I think we’re stuck with this one that’s pretty predictable and boring as of late. 

Eta: In other news, I’m really not sure if I’m going to watch this week. I’m debating. I really was excited for the Christmas episode and now not so much. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that out of this show! It's supposed to get nuttier. I'm all in for a mutant killer fish storyline!

I hope it’s Cheryl who controls the Riverdale universe/town. It would explain so much, it’s clear she controls the weather patterns. Why not have her control all the townspeople?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Snookums said:

Mwahahah..... this! Mwahaja lol... made my day....

With an imagination like yours I'm certain you can get a job as one of the writers of the show. Lol...

Bring on the fishes and the nuclear drama. Lol

Edited by PeekaBoo
  • Love 2

I still love this show, but the latest episode just felt off to me. Jughead has become a respected leader of the Serpents, no Serpents, Sweet Pea especially, reacting to Archie's presence at the bar, Josie taking way too long to detach herself from Cheryl who's gone full psycho etc. I just don't feel there was a proper set up for most of the subplots this episode. 

Unpopular opinion incoming: I actually thought Betty's strip tease made complete sense for the character. The entire season she's been dedicating every aspect of her life to pleasing Jughead, looking out for him, ensuring his happiness and safety, making choices based on what will benefit him, prioritizing him above everything else etc. And this isn't Dark Betty fervently committing herself to Jughead, but the Betty we've come to know since the pilot who dedicates herself one hundred percent to whatever cause she's taken on, which in this case happens to be Jughead. And yes, the striptease was messed up and I didn't like that they sexualized what it supposed to be a 15-year-old child, but they deliberately made it unsettling. Betty's vacant look, the haunting music, Jughead and Alice's shock, the drop-dead silence and FP awkwardly covering her up; all this went to show how far Betty's taken her dedication to Jug, and I like that this seems to be something the show is actively criticizing instead of endorsing. Betty's commitment to Jug isn't healthy; it's over the top and almost obsessive, and even he recognized it at the end of the episode. So while I'm not a fan of the characters constantly breaking up and making up, I really hope this indicates we're about to see some serious character growth on Betty's part. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Sonoma said:

I agree-- I felt the same about the whole dance being awkward, comfortable, and awful because it was supposed to be. And I also agree it made perfect sense to who Betty is. It wasn't Dark Betty or any other type of Betty except original recipe Betty taking care of business, as horrible decision as it was.

That's what made it so awkward. It was Betty doing something stupid in an attempt to help Jug. If she'd channeled Dark Betty I don't think it would have been nearly as awkward, but Sweet, Girl Next Door Betty was not up to the task and it felt like she was basically exploiting herself. The whole thing, the reason she did it, the horrible way it was done, and everyone just watching her do this thing she clearly didn't want to do, it was all so disturbing. But it was 100% meant to be. So kudos for them on that scene. Nailed it.

• Love 3

Yeah.. I’m another person who doesn’t need to see Dark Betty ever again. At least not in the wearing the black wig thing. Anyways.

I hope Bughead can come back. I actually think they had a good relationship and communicated so well in season 1, that’s why I don’t get what they are doing here. I understand they can’t have a healthy relationship with Jughead in the gang(which again I say I’ve hated this story from episode 1 of this season, considering it’s where all the characters changed their tune oneverything).  I hope Bughead fan come back. I don’t want them gone forever; but I do however don’t want constant breakups and makeups.

1 hour ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Unpopular opinion incoming: I actually thought Betty's strip tease made complete sense for the character. The entire season she's been dedicating every aspect of her life to pleasing Jughead, looking out for him, ensuring his happiness and safety, making choices based on what will benefit him, prioritizing him above everything else etc. And this isn't Dark Betty fervently committing herself to Jughead, but the Betty we've come to know since the pilot who dedicates herself one hundred percent to whatever cause she's taken on, which in this case happens to be Jughead. And yes, the striptease was messed up and I didn't like that they sexualized what it supposed to be a 15-year-old child, but they deliberately made it unsettling. Betty's vacant look, the haunting music, Jughead and Alice's shock, the drop-dead silence and FP awkwardly covering her up; all this went to show how far Betty's taken her dedication to Jug, and I like that this seems to be something the show is actively criticizing instead of endorsing. Betty's commitment to Jug isn't healthy; it's over the top and almost obsessive, and even he recognized it at the end of the episode. So while I'm not a fan of the characters constantly breaking up and making up, I really hope this indicates we're about to see some serious character growth on Betty's part. 

1 hour ago, Sonoma said:

I agree-- I felt the same about the whole dance being awkward, uncomfortable, and awful because it was supposed to be. And I also agree it made perfect sense to who Betty is. It wasn't Dark Betty or any other type of Betty except original recipe Betty taking care of business, as horrible decision as it was.

However I don't think Betty's love for Jughead is obsessive. I actually think the love between them is healthy but the relationship is currently not with this Serpent turn of events. Had it been any of her friends or family she was trying to help, Betty would have done the dance if she thought she was doing it for the right reason-- to protect them. That's what freaked Jughead out. He knows Betty and how far she will go to protect the people she loves. He knows he has now put her in a situation where she will keep placing herself in danger for him because that's who she is.

Betty is ride or die for Jughead for sure but not obsessive. Her actual obsession is trying to make everything perfect for everyone, and she makes herself sick with it. Hence her scarred hands. But this obsession to fix everything to make everything right does creep into her relationship with him. So yes, she definitely needs character growth in this area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I actually hope they get rid of Dark Betty because it's become more of a gimmick than anything else. We've seen enough of her character and Lily has played her well enough that we can Betty's emotional health issues without busting out the tacky wig. But again, this show.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

That's what made it so awkward. It was Betty doing something stupid in an attempt to help Jug. If she'd channeled Dark Betty I don't think it would have been nearly as awkward, but Sweet, Girl Next Door Betty was not up to the task and it felt like she was basically exploiting herself. The whole thing, the reason she did it, the horrible way it was done, and everyone just watching her do this thing she clearly didn't want to do, it was all so disturbing. But it was 100% meant to be. So kudos for them on that scene. Nailed it.

Such a depressing thread!!

Agree with you guys... Poor girl is desperate to save/protect her boyfriend that she's willing to go that low... I hope the break-up and the time until the eventual reconciliation will make Betty see things differently... Like what you guys wrote, they do have the basis of a good relationship but right now it's too chaotic for either of them to "be" there...

I don't think its an obsession over jughead, I think its more of a protect-him-at-all cost and do-whatever-it-takes type of thing that makes betty do sily horrible things... God knows what she'd be willing to do post-dance if she had been allowed to...

:-C

On a personal note, I like Dark Betty but I'd lke her to use her powers for something else other than for  jughead,'s sake, use it for the greater good of course... But I do hope they'll stop luring fans with this DB, either make it happen or don't mention it again...  

• Love 2

I think both Jughead and Betty are single minded when it comes to each other. Jughead just broke up with Betty in this episode to protect her, and keep her away from the gang, Betty thinks doing all these things to get into the gang is the best thing. So I think both of them are doing things they think is best. It breaks my heart that they arent talking to each other- that was a big thing for them last season so I don’t get it. It may also be a teenage thing. I hope it all shakes out. I’m really worried.

23 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

It breaks my heart that they arent talking to each other- that was a big thing for them last season so I don’t get it.

That's what is driving me crazy. They seemed so communicative last season. It was one of the things that made me ship them. But this season they are not telling each other what is going on and it feels like it is just because the writers want this particular storyline and are rewriting the characters to fit it. 

I think that both Juggy and Betty would be this intense no matter who their significant others are. They are both naturally intense. They are a lot more like their parents than they probably care to admit. 

The only thing making me not want to ship them is that I am now shipping FP and Alice pretty hard, and double dating with your kids could get awkward. lol Oh, who am I kidding, I would be all over that snarky drama!

• Love 4

I'm really cringing hardcore at Cheryl and Josie, and her attempts at seducing her. It also reminds me of Party of 5, where Julia decides to flirt with the idea of lesbianism after having an abusive boyfriend. There was also a plot in Higher Education where Kristy Swason's character decides to go into lesbianism after getting raped. I'm really not comfortable with the messages this stuff seems to be saying. I would have felt a lot more comfortable if Cheryl had been canon bisexual before her sexual assault.

Archie's singing is kind of endearing to me now. I hope he starts writing angsty songs again now that the Black Hood stuff is done.

And...a strip-tease to "Mad World". This show is bonkers and I love it.

• Love 5

Finally watched this episode along with tonight's, so I hope I'm not confusing the two.  Really just came by to comment on the striptease, mostly.  If the objective was to trigger a lot of chatter about the show, welp, they achieved that.  I was very uncomfortable and I was watching it by myself.  If I was watching with another person, like a boyfriend or a parent (do people watch this show with boyfriends and parents???), I think I would have felt like time had slowed to a crawl and the striptease lasted five years.

I didn't know what to make of the one-piece lacy lingerie Betty was wearing.  The show in general gets a pass on fashion choices because they play some things so old-timey while also being totally inappropriate for the real world (like wearing shorts at school where your ass is falling out the bottom), so I'm not sure if the one-piece falls into this.  16-year-olds just don't have underwear like that.  Or do they???  Are we to believe Betty already owned that and chose to wear it for her striptease?  Or that she went out and bought it for the striptease???  I'm also wondering if the one-piece was a production choice rather than a character one, like, OK we're gonna do this, but we'll keep the fully-unveiled flesh to a minimum because we're not doing this to be gratuitous and exploitive like that.

I'm betting for the actors, doing take after take wasn't as uncomfortable as it would be for many viewers to watch the scene again and again, but ugh.

And even if the scene had been taped back in October, if Andrew Kreisberg had been an EP on this Berlanti show, you can bet your ass that they would have edited that scene out altogether.

Also, wtf, once again, we have the teenagers going to the scary isolated house in the dark of night.  The first time Betty did, it was at the BH's summoning - she didn't have a choice in timing.  But this time, Betty and Archie did, but they just HAD to go to a creepy, very potentially unsafe place in pitch black?  Because it's so much better to fumble around there, looking for clues in the dark than to wait until sunlight and take a much better look around?  More scenes manufactured for the scary factor than any reasonable plot.

Skeet Ulrich in the Pop's diner uniform.  He's a skinny guy, and his arms are so skinny.  They're skinnier than mine, and I'm a short girl.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

Finally watched this episode along with tonight's, so I hope I'm not confusing the two.  Really just came by to comment on the striptease, mostly.  If the objective was to trigger a lot of chatter about the show, welp, they achieved that.  I was very uncomfortable and I was watching it by myself.

Well to hear Lili Reinhart tell it, that was the point, you were supposed to feel uncomfortable. Except, reading her comment, I just had to remind myself that the actress is only 21 because she clearly didn't get it either. She actually says that they expected a reaction but was surprised at how big and negative it was. Like again, have the writers and cast of Riverdale been living under a rock? In the climate that we are in, no one thought that some viewers would have a big problem with a storyline involving a 16 year old high school girl stripping in some dive bar in front of a gang of men old enough to be her father? Really? 

Then she says that yes, you were supposed to be uncomfortable because you were supposed to see it as the depths this girl would go to for the man she loves. Like first of all, again, we are talking about a high school girl. It isn't and should never be that serious, no matter how in love she thinks she is. And two, well if she's doing it for the man she loves, that suddenly makes so much sense, except for how it made the situation ten times more disturbing.

If the writers were going for showing viewers that Betty and Jughead as a pairing is so toxic that loving him makes Betty turn into an underage stripper, then that'd be one thing (even though that'd be random since they were anything but toxic in Season 1 but the writing on this show is nuts so whatever). But for all the "you were supposed to feel uncomfortable" crap, I still think they also foolishly saw this as showing just how much Betty loves Jughead, that this is how far she would go to protect and save him, like that's some good thing. 

It all fits their ridiculous "this is dark, hardcore and super serious" Riverdale even if instead it's just a hot ass mess.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well to hear Lili Reinhart tell it, that was the point, you were supposed to feel uncomfortable. Except, reading her comment, I just had to remind myself that the actress is only 21 because she clearly didn't get it either. She actually says that they expected a reaction but was surprised at how big and negative it was. Like again, have the writers and cast of Riverdale been living under a rock? In the climate that we are in, no one thought that some viewers would have a big problem with a storyline involving a 16 year old high school girl stripping in some dive bar in front of a gang of men old enough to be her father? Really? 

Then she says that yes, you were supposed to be uncomfortable because you were supposed to see it as the depths this girl would go to for the man she loves. Like first of all, again, we are talking about a high school girl. It isn't and should never be that serious, no matter how in love she thinks she is. And two, well if she's doing it for the man she loves, that suddenly makes so much sense, except for how it made the situation ten times more disturbing.

If the writers were going for showing viewers that Betty and Jughead as a pairing is so toxic that loving him makes Betty turn into an underage stripper, then that'd be one thing (even though that'd be random since they were anything but toxic in Season 1 but the writing on this show is nuts so whatever). But for all the "you were supposed to feel uncomfortable" crap, I still think they also foolishly saw this as showing just how much Betty loves Jughead, that this is how far she would go to protect and save him, like that's some good thing. 

It all fits their ridiculous "this is dark, hardcore and super serious" Riverdale even if instead it's just a hot ass mess.

Yeah.. that whole thing is ridiculous. I like Lili and everything but everything about her comments from what you typed make no sense.

Ignoring they Bughead portion of it all because that’s WTF. They clearly just want drama and friction there because last season which again I have to say in the shows timeline, was only like two weeks in the shows day to this episode so I refuse to acknowledge that.

But her comments about being confused about why there’s backlash for the stripping scene? Yeah. I can’t. . Because from what you typed out, she sounds kind of tone deaf at the situation here. Especially given that back during the me too hashtag from a few months ago, she was Pretty vocal on twitter and stuff about it. It’s odd. And I get that what Betty did wasn’t anything like that, but it’s odd that she doesn’t seem to get it? 

Also.. I haven’t seen much backlash. Here of course I have, because well isn’t that why we are here? To snark? And my twitter is pretty empty and I vary rarely use it anymore. I check in on it sometimes but it’s nothing to me right now.  And the only thing I saw on tv regarding this show was a 4 second segment on E News last Friday where the commenters read tweets about people reactions. It was at the very end too. But yeah. Pretty much nothing. I think I said it before but Glee got terrible reactions when they had a “first time” episode. I remember laughing when The View brought it as a hot topic the day after that episode aired. 

I still haven’t watched last nights episode. I think I’m going to skip it and come back in January when the show returns. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

If the writers were going for showing viewers that Betty and Jughead as a pairing is so toxic that loving him makes Betty turn into an underage stripper, then that'd be one thing

I would actually like it if they did a storyline about how toxic it is to be so "in love" that you lose yourself and your ideals and values to appease the other person. But that's not what happened. Without discussing it with the guy she loves Betty took it upon herself to join a freaking gang. A gang Juggy didn't really want to join in the beginning but was told by the plot fairy that he must and so now he's all in.

IDK, I just feel like it was done to show "a different side of Betty" and in that it, well, I guess it did succeed. It showed the pathetic, so needy she'll degrade herself side of Betty and I don't think we've seen that side and I hope we never do again. Ugh, have I mentioned (about a hundred times) how much I hate the Serpents storyline. UGH.

Does anyone have any theories on Jughead's narration? I thought the last scene with Betty and Archie was an odd scene, and Jughead's narration goes: "These feelings that had long been buried, shook loose. The boy looked out his window at the girl next door, as if for the very first time.".. While Archie smiled, Betty just looked a little sad, showing no expression, as if she is a doll standing there and looking at Archie. Not real. And how would Jughead know about this happening?

This show has gone off the rails with the rival gangs, but because there are rival gangs; what with all the Toys for Tots nonsense I feel pretty sure the Serpents are eventually meant to be redeemed as that cuddly sort of do-gooding biker gang.  

Eventually I think they'll regret having every teen character established as a crackerjack singer ready for American Idol, though I suppose they did so because they're trying to walk back their early commitment to Archie/KJ Apa as a person whose life is centered around and set upon having music as a major career (who thought that one up, anyway?).

They were doing so much better when they went with the Twin Peaks vibe...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

This show has gone off the rails with the rival gangs, but because there are rival gangs; what with all the Toys for Tots nonsense I feel pretty sure the Serpents are eventually meant to be redeemed as that cuddly sort of do-gooding biker gang.  

Eventually I think they'll regret having every teen character established as a crackerjack singer ready for American Idol, though I suppose they did so because they're trying to walk back their early commitment to Archie/KJ Apa as a person whose life is centered around and set upon having music as a major career (who thought that one up, anyway?).

They were doing so much better when they went with the Twin Peaks vibe...

To me the singing stuff that every character does feels more like a step in the world of the tv show Glee. And we don’t need another Glee. (Which yes I did enjoy at a time but there’s a reason we don’t need another).

The only two main characters I haven’t seen sing yet or show any musical talents are Jughead and Kevin. I’m just waiting for that to change.

And a few secondary non main characters haven’t yet sang yet, but I expect this to change on a dime too if the show wants it to.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
On 12/6/2017 at 8:03 PM, CletusMusashi said:

During half the time that Betty was singing, it was quite clear that she was dancing around the pole without moving her lips.

So apparently her list of skills now includes ventrilioquism.

...or it means that she took singing lessons from Melody - check out the S1 finale during the J&tP song where she's at a mike supposedly singing backup but doesn't open her mouth.  And that after having about three blink-and-you'll-miss-them speaking lines the whole season.

• Love 2